[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40k RPG General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 364
Thread images: 41

File: Catholic Space Nazis.jpg (71KB, 383x498px) Image search: [Google]
Catholic Space Nazis.jpg
71KB, 383x498px
"Everything is snowflake, nothing is snowflake" edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

After Cadia, Biel-Tan is next, but at least they're bringing Ynnead in. at the head of the new Aeldari Grand Alliance. Will you, or your players, be able to fight combined forces of Craftworld, Dark, and Harlequin eldar?
>>
How long do your battles usually last?
>>
what's /tg/ opinion on Integrated weapons, in an OW context, especially in a Regiment with strong Mechanicus ties, enough to get them and the potentia coil to make them work, but still not an Admech force ?
I don't think they are OP per se, though I do think strange that the Catalytic driver is now Extremly Rare instead of very rare from The Lathes Worlds.
So, Integrated Weapons, yes or nay ?
>>
>>51398422
define what you mean by battle
>>51398478
No Potentia Coil without beeing a tech-priest or maybe some kind of elite tech guard. Anything else just breaks lore.
>>
>>51398478

They're not really bad. There are better weapons out there, but integrated weapons just remove ammo problems. They're convenient, but still las-style weapons. The mass driver just fucking sucks though.

>>51398583

"Tech Guard" don't really exist as a concept anymore, it's been taken over by Skitarii.
>>
>>51398478
>what's /tg/ opinion on Integrated weapons,
I loathe them. They're yet one more thing that says "This is more powerful than equivalent gear, and it's only for techpriests, nyah!" Techpriests are already damn powerful as it is, with tons of TP exclusive gear that ranges from 'neat' to 'very powerful', and I can't help but see Integrated Weapons as yet one more techpriest dong fellated by FFG. And the concept makes so little sense, and the benefits are so meager, that the extensive "no, this only works for techpriests, you can't just hook an integrated weapon to an electrocoil backpack and use it that way" just get that much more grating. Fuck Integrated Weapons. Also, the Catalytic Mass Driver is utter shit.
>>
>>51398583
say, personnal Inquisitorial retinue, or really, really wealthy Rogue Trader with the rights connexion with Admech, for instance an Augmenticist that want augmented troops ? or is that too snowflakey and too lore breaking ?
>>
>>51398699
They've always been the same concept -- an augmented human security force serving the Adeptus Mechanicus. FFG just didn't have the license to use the term Skitarii so we got the Crimson Guard.

Incidentally the Skitarii demonstrate perfectly well how you can be a cool cyborg military force without integrated weapons.
>>
>>51398731
>the extensive "no, this only works for techpriests, you can't just hook an integrated weapon to an electrocoil backpack and use it that way"
What is your main malfunction?

>Integrated Weapons link to and draw power from the potentia coil, and as such only those that possess this implant may use this type of weapon.
So get a potentia coil. It's obviously available separate from mechanicus implants by the way they keep saying "Implanted Potentia or Mechanicus Implants" in every relevant Talent. You just have to work out a deal with your GM. Or kill a techpriest and take their shit.
>>
>>51399069
Augmeticist wanting cyborgs makes sense, I just don't think anyone who isn't a techpriest is going to get a coil. They don't even let non Mechanicus see them
>>
>>51399552
so, time to homebrew an upgraped internal power cell from into the Storm (the one that recharge a power pack a day from body heat) or a lesser potentia coil fit for non-cog boy for afore-mentionned augmenticist cyborg army then.
the idea from said augmenticist was to give good qual gastric bionic to every soldier so that they can survive on almost any diet on any world. not relying on power packs will also reduce the logistic for a RT going on savage unexplored worlds.
>>
>>51399463
And who's going to implant a dead techpriest's shit in you? Another techpriest? Nah son, he's going to shoot you on sight, carting in his buddy's corpse into his workshop
>>
>>51400351
Hereteks would.
>>
What's the fastest character you can make in Only War?

How good in melee can you make him?
>>
>>51400351
>>51400402
Here's a crazy idea.

Don't.

Don't implant the potentia coil.

Just connect it to the weapon.

Use the whole thing like a you would a normal weapon + backpack ammo supply.
>>
>>51398283
How fucking buff do you have to be to load an earthshaker shell in 5 seconds? How do we improve vehicle weapons, /40krpg/, 12 rpm from an earthshaker seems bonkers to me.
>>
>>51402933
SB+TB of 7 or above. Seems fine for artillery.
>>
>>51403251
I dunno, I can see 6rpm because of 38k years advancement, but more than 3x modern seems...absurd.
>>
>>51403472
10k years of war will do that to you.
>>
If you were to make a vindicare assassin to play in Deathwatch, how would you guys do it?
>>
>>51403542
Why
>>
>>51403553
>>
>>51403542
Scrap the idea and just make a Raptor tactical or devastator.
>>
File: Mechanicus Time.jpg (117KB, 520x773px) Image search: [Google]
Mechanicus Time.jpg
117KB, 520x773px
>>51398731
>Techpriests are already damn powerful
And why do you think they shouldn't?
Those are some of the most techonologically enlightened people in the 41st millennium, especially compared to the likes of mere guardsmen and hive scum, be they below acolyte or already inquisitor.
Tech-priests are meant to be broken.
Same is with psykers, their only competion on the field of cheese.

It's like you broke a leg and now baww at the humble dokhtor, "BAAAAAW DOCK, WHY CAN'T I BE SUPER STRONK LIKE THE SUPERMAN? NO FAIR!"

Also tech-priest aren't VERY broken anyway. They can't simply obtain it out of thin air and you have the GM between them and cheese.
Unlike with psykers, again.
>>
>>51398731
I'd take my REEEEEEEE out on psykers if I were you. Cog-boys shouldn't even be in your sightline given the bullshit those mutant freaks can pull.
>>
>>51404345
If I can vaguely understand what you're trying to say, it's basically that it makes sense in the fluff so its fine in the game.

That's a stupid opinion, you're stupid for having it, and you've made us all stupid by voicing it.
>>
File: Your Mother.jpg (85KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Your Mother.jpg
85KB, 400x400px
>>51405477
You're the one stupid for denying it.
It's like fluff isn't made to be interesting and the game isn't been inspired by it.
What's the fucking point of playing something in the game, if you don't get to be exactly what you are stated to be in the fluff? In the very thing that you got inspiration from.
Everyone HATES dorks like you, who use their inferiority complexes as an excuse to "balance" things up, making them retarded.

Besides that, I already stated the only thing that reliably allows tech-priests to be broken - the Game Master.
If yours is a cool one, he'll either limit tech-fuckery of the cogboy or hand your sorry, miserable meatbunch a couple of shiny bits to make up for the flesh.
If that fails, there the last option of NOT allowing any tech-priests or psykers into your sorrowfully bawling party of Pure Flesh cutists, only as NPCs. But unless it's unanimous, it is retarded.
Now, go stand in the corner and think about what you said.
>>
>>51405666
>you should be able to play exactly what the fluff says
>the gm should limit you
Pick one opinion dummy.
>>
>>51406148
Those can coexist peacefully, silly.
>>
>>51398283
Are there rules for a Chaos Colony? We've conquered a few planets in route to our Black Crusade and I'd like to flesh them out a little.
>>
>>51404345
Tech-priests... enlightened... kek

Also, as far as OP Psykers this isn't D&D, Psykers are basically contagious aids-lepers in the imperium. Everyone hates and fears them. Most of them the Imperial army scoops their eyes out, carves wards in their bones, stuffs them in cages and stabs them with cattle prods to make them shoot lightening. The ones that survive sanctioning and get put on a slightly longer leash are still hounded, ostracized, and summarily executed at the first sign of threat. The psyker should understand that he survives solely at the discretion of everyone he meets. If you are doing it right everyone should be terrified of the gate to hell in that guys head. The should tolerate him only because the command will shoot them if they don't and be tripping over themselves to catch him slip so they can be the one to vent the filthy fething mutant all over the wall.
>>
>>51406412
Well, even the most common tech-priests know a bit more about how to use and repair technology than some average Joeus Einsteinus, even if bound by ritualizing.
Mechanicus Magi are a different matter entirely, as most of them do strive to understand, learn more and innovate.

Psykers, yes, but they are still powerful, and the more status they gain, the less common peasantry opinions matter. Aspiring Acolyte is already something, provided some people knew who he is.
Transcendent Astropaths are figures of awe and respect.
And some people might just know enough about wyrds to be more comfortable around them.
Tho the DH1 casting rules were the most fun to be around, pity they dropped them too soon.
>>
Is it me or the Origin Path chart of Rogue Trader is a big pile of fuming dejection?

If you take Forge World Homeworld, the Savant Birthright is two slots from the option directly below.
So technically, if you follow the written rules, barred for your character.

A Forge World Savant, impossible. Even if it is a evident option for an Explorator.

Who uses this thing? If a hand rises, how did you fix it before using it?
>>
>>51406563
I always ask about the non-sequential row option, or non-adjacent selections. Optional rules, man. That said, it's not impossible to put up with it. You take something similar within reach, deal, and move the fuck on.
>>
>>51406563
I pretty much get my players to more or less ignore the origin path.

It provides some extra min/max options for the munchkins and lets the roleplayers customize their characters more. Providing GM approval and no obviously contradictory pathways, of course.
>>
>>51406668
>>51407254
Thanks for your answers!
>>
>>51406412
>imperial
>using unsanctioned Psykers

You said Imperial Army, is this pre-Heresy fluff? Anyone doing anything with unsanctioned psykers whose name isn't prefixed by Mr Inquisitor is gonna get blam'd. And it's my understanding that post-sanctioning, it's not like many psykers will be treated better than that.

Great description though.
>>
>>51407254

Glad to see someone else does this.
>>
>>51406148
You are such an asshat. The GM limitation was his final attempt at "fixing" a part of the game for you that isn't broken.
>>
>>51409657
I did the same. with the followiing addition : if someone do follow the origin path, he gets a lineage (from Into the Storm) for free. Of course, as a GM, I have a final say on what lineage can be taken.

Samewise, when doing a theme campaign. I'm Gming right now a campaign throguh pplay by post where everyone wanted to be False men, so of course that part was freee on the Origin path.
>>
>>51398422
>Equal number of figthers on both sides
1~3 rounds
>One side outnumbered but some of them are armed with a crowd control weapon like a flamer, automatic weapon or explosives
1~4 rounds, if the enemy wins init they die on round 1
>>
>>51398422
In DH?
Usually 4-10 rounds, as both sides usually jockey for positioning/cover, use suppressing fire, half decent tactics to make up for the fact they do not have powerful weapons outside of longguns.
>Biel-Tan is next
Not surprised, actually. They had long set it up with the enmity between Biel-Tan and Ulthwe, and it is easily forseeable for the hardliners in Biel-Tan to refuse cooperation even in the face of a greater foe.
>>
>>51407893
That was in one of the Guant's Ghost books. One of the Ghosts turns out to be a latent psyker, gets handed off for the Blackships, then later they run into him as the pathetic mewling thing in a cage. He passed the "not going to immediately start spewing deamons" test but not the "we are going to let him walk around" test. It was great scene.
>>
>>51411428

Biel-Tan is blowing up.
>>
>>51411971
According to what?
>>
>>51411894
If I want to RP an Astropath correctly I think I have to play the results of his endoctrinations. So I imagine playing Fear against mundane things, PTSD... good idea?
>>
>>51412244
>look around
>see unconfirmed "spoilers"
Hey, I remember when the pylons overloading is what destroyed Cadia, too!
I will hold my skepticism for any leaks or spoilers for a long time, anon.
>>
File: 1475918499461.jpg (53KB, 625x625px) Image search: [Google]
1475918499461.jpg
53KB, 625x625px
>>51412634
You should always trust strangers on the internet anon.
>>
>>51398283
I want to run an Only War campaign that focuses on an elite squad fighting a diverse group of aliens. I'm figuring I should use Tau as the main/figurehead bad guys but what other forces should I have the Tau be allied with/using as mercenaries?
>>
>>51413068
Vespids, kroots, maybe even demiurgs.
You may and totally should invent your own allies to the Tau Empire, too.
>>
>>51413108
Do you think it would be better to make new xenos races or use existing ones?
>>
>>51413217
There are tons of xeno races that just aren't worth mentioning because they're so small scale, so I'd go with the well known, and fill expertise gaps with homebrew aliums
>>
>>51413217
Both.
Remember, Tau consist of many xeno races, most of which aren't even mentioned.
>>
So... how do you do psykers in DH2e?
Trying to read the rules, but I think I'm missing things.
I understand pushing and making focus tests under strength, but is there more to it I should know?
>>
File: 1352063565665.jpg (114KB, 684x626px) Image search: [Google]
1352063565665.jpg
114KB, 684x626px
Is there a trick to writing Deathwatch games that are not just Dungeon Crawls?

I ran one and tried my best to throw some problems in that could not just be solved by Bolter but it did not quite work.

I would like to run a game again but I want to try and avoid that problem.
>>
>>51413629
Well, the core manual already gives advices on how to make them doable.
This is to make a primarily diplomatic missions, investigations and subterfuge missions.
Maybe also survival missions on a space hulk. Like Sin of Damnation, if you know what I mean.
>>
>>51413629
Remember that Deathwatch do more than kill ayliums, they also recover relics, run sabotage missions, explore dangerous worlds and xeno ships (send your players onto a burnt out Squat Forgefane).
>>
>>51413629
Trick? No. There's a lot of work you need to do to make them not dungeon crawls. One of the issues is that it takes a long time for the marines to get noncombat related skills.
>>
So are there any maps or map makers that would be useful for a game of Deatwatch I'm making?
It's set in the Great Crusade, and I plan on giving the players some freedom in exploring, so a variety will be needed.
>>
>>51413736
yeah that is the problem, it is kind of pointless to through any social stuff at them since they all use Fellowship as a dump stat.

I suppose you could throw a enemy that is too powerful to fight head on at them but when I did that they assumed they could beat it and nearly died.
>>
>>51414064
pretty much any Sci-Fi map is worth using. You can also get tile sets from roll 20
>>
>>51414367
Really? And what was the enemy?
From what I've seen, Deathwatch Space Marines are all but unstoppable.
Unless, of course, you stomp them with a wave of Carnifexes.
>>
>>51414367
>>51414555
When you use the errata, master level enemies and decent tactics, you'd be surprised how fast DW get rekt, especially since most players are shit at anything resembling small unit tactics.
>>
>>51414717
Every time I try to apply real world tactics I get swamped in melee
>>
>>51414914
Are your enemies using cover, grenades, fall backs, flanking positions?
>>
>>51414947
No, they mostly Lighting Attack my chest in half
>>
>>51414717
Too bad you can't GM for us for a bit and prove it.
>>
>>51415417
And what are you using that melee works so easily?
Single Tau firewarriors/suits?
>>51415604
If you GM'd, you'd already know that.
Players are generally stupid and approach most problems in a "my force > their force = I win" fashion, which makes it very easy to sucker them into doing stupid shit.
Unless the players are constantly in tight spaces where the firepower of bolters is best and melee is an option, it shouldn't be that hard to challenge them following your foe's preferred tactics.
>>
>>51415650
And what if they don't do stupid shit and rolling from cover to cover, while constantly upgrading them as a full action?
>>
>>51415759
>rolling from cover to cover, while constantly upgrading them as a full action?
You have no grenades/flamers or melee/cqc capable foes of your own?
This conversation goes nowhere unless you tell me exactly what enemy force this situation revolves around.
>>
>>51415826
Whatever. Let's agree on whoever outsmarts another - wins, unless GM field ridiculously OP monsters. And sometimes even then.
>>
>>51415650
man if I want to give serious challenges against Marine level protagonists, I use a combination of combined arms/small unit tactics, and I actually give the enemies something of a reasonable intelligence.

I also fight dirty, because intelligent enemies fight dirty. Suicide vests, choke points, difficult terrain to funnel the protagonists into points, snipers, teams which cover each other, heaps of other tactics which will fuck over unprepared people. Have people firing from full cover on a higher ground position. Gotta stack them bonuses.
Any number of tricks can make life tough or deadly for DW level antagonists. Saying that melee (while hugely dangerous) completely wrecks one's plans shows to me a GM who can't into tactics, or isn't very creative.
>>
>>51414555
It was a Greater Deamon of Korn (Although it was weakened because they had unknowling forced it to manifest before it was at full power)

The point is the players, who had all been in my earlier DH game, felt pretty cocky as marines and suffered for it.

The problem is that combat in any of the 40K games is so deadly that they nearly got fucked on the first round. It can be super risky to put them up against a strong enemy like that since it can pretty much one shot people if it rolls well enough. The players can do the same but it is still not super fun.
>>
File: Eldar Aspect Warrior.jpg (139KB, 500x691px) Image search: [Google]
Eldar Aspect Warrior.jpg
139KB, 500x691px
>>51411971
>>51412244
>>51412634
>>51412875

Biel-Tan isn't "blowing up." The Craftworld is like one big space hulk - made of of thousands of ships. When the Avatar of Ynnead awakens, and forms the new soul-vampire "Ynnari" faction, Biel-Tan breaks off into its various components. It still exists. It's just a fleet now.

>>51415759
>And what if they don't do stupid shit and rolling from cover to cover, while constantly upgrading them as a full action?

Phosphex helps.

>>51415947

In Deathwatch, finding a good mix of individually challenging and knowing when to call in support assets is the biggest concern. Early game, you don't have that many requisition points, and you're needing basic gear. By Sig-Wargearing things, it frees up points for asset usage. Smart use of all the support available to you is just as important as knowing how to personally fight.
>>
>>51416144
>In Deathwatch, finding a good mix of individually challenging and knowing when to call in support assets is the biggest concern.

For sure. Personally I find the combats easier to balance in DW than in RT because the raw strength of Marine weapons and armor means that you can throw a lot at the players. In RT however, while they have good gear a lot of the characters are... kinda squishy. Also having a ship means (at least my players) characters are happy to completely sideline combats.
>>
>>51415898
see
>>51415947
This is what I'm saying.
You need to be intelligent, unless you enemies are orks. If the GM can't into tactics, of course it's a problem.
>>
Anyone interested in a pretty decent-looking Only War game that's recruiting, or should I stick to Game Finder?
>>
>>51416361
Extrapolinate this onionings.
(Tell more)
>>
>>51416391

Text-only. GM appears to have a good grasp of English grammar and literary prose, citing M.A.S.H. as one of the influences he's drawing on for the game. Players serve in the marine corps of a Rogue Trader, rather than the Imperial Guard, so likely a bit more high-flying than your usual Only War game but probably still on a scale where it's a story about people.
>>
>>51416577
Where can we get more details? As well as where did he plans to play? Skype? Rolz? IRC?
>>
>>51416734

https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/52123/ow-fools-rush-in
>>
File: Energy Drink.jpg (32KB, 284x290px) Image search: [Google]
Energy Drink.jpg
32KB, 284x290px
>>51416799
*inhales*
Time to rush in and ruin everything.
>>
>>51412284
Astropaths have a bit more of a unique flavor to them as they are brought forth before the Emperor himself. What then happens during the soul binding varies greatly to them, from a feeling of having your brain electrocuted to chatting it up with the big E.
>>
>>51412284
One of my friends in an RT game played an Astropath who hated the Emperor - mostly because she saw his reaction to all the horrible things being done in his name: nothing.
>>
>>51413376
That 2e Pushing isn't worth it.
>>
>>51416926
I kinda like that.
A kind of Maltheist ideology, but one which plays with ideas of free will, duty and the responsibilities of the Astropaths within the system.
>>
>>51415650
Actually I'm a player
>>
Not gonna lie, all this Fall of Cadia stuff makes me want to run an Only War short campaign where the players last stand against Abby.
>>
>>51416929
I can figure that out for myself, I'm asking about things besides that.
>>
>>51417049
That you shouldn't use your powers when a mundane solution will easily suffice. Pump Willpower either way as Fear is a bitch.

If possible, branch out in some other skills that others have so you can provide assistance bonuses.
>>
>>51417049
Probably not much else.
If understand correctly, they removed Fettered, Psy Rating bonus to cast and instead gave Push a penalty.
Made Psychic Powers great again with more potential for funny things.
So you're less inclined to cast every turn and instead do something else.
What I dislike is the inability of basic void-psykers to get 75 WP.
>>
Any advice for a New Gm running Deathwatch? Major focus is going to be fighting the Tyranids.
>>
>>51417880
Use the errata weapon stats
>>
>>51417880
Discourage Rip and Tear tactics under the threat of Swarming(geddit?).
>>51417913
There's really no reason to using other ones.
>>
>>51417106
... Anon, I mean in terms of mechanics, I'm fairly read up on how the lore works, I've never played a psyker before.
Shit, I've told other people the same thing you just said to me, it's basic as hell.
>>51417238
Are there any ways to stack the focus power test in your favor?
>>
>>51419253
Psy-focus. For free.
Everything else is talents or expensive gear.
This is deliberate, as far as I can tell, because in all later editions, psykers were all crazy powerful and quite easy to cast with those 40+WP+10 Focus+10+25PR, etc.
>>
Has anyone used the Brontian Longknifes in their games? In all the art they are running at their enemy with swords and no rifles to be seen. It seems crazy even for the imperium
>>
>>51419438
>Faith isn't his shield
What a heretic you are anon.
>>
>>51419438
>Using rifles
The enemies of the Emperor deserve no such mercies. End them rightly with your blade, enjoy knowing that your righteous smile will be their last sight before they are judged by Him on Terra. Send them to their eternal reward with steel and fury, anon.
>>
File: 1484424012192.jpg (391KB, 963x786px) Image search: [Google]
1484424012192.jpg
391KB, 963x786px
>>51419438
The Emperor is my shield,
and I am his sword!
>>
>>51419253
Pump Willpower and psy rating so you can manifest at lower PR for a +10 per lower boost.
>>
>>51423261
Not all powers use will power, tho.
A good number use psynescience, perception, fellowship.
I'm not trying to be a big flashy biomancy/santic/pyromancy fucktard here.
>>
Is there any possible way to properly roleplay an imperial psyker according to canon that isn't a being a constantly mistreated penitent bitch?
How can one play a psyker and retain both dignity and arrogance?
No inquisitors, please, before they are allowed to be cunts, they too must somehow get to that point and that's what I'm asking.
>>
>>51424519
Talk with your group about it. See if you can do a hexicar, if Rouge Tradering, or otherwise push towards Black Crusade if people are willing.
>>
>>51424537
No, I'm looking for a general guidelines as well as lore insights.
I should've mentioned RT psykers too, since, it's not just an Astropath, but an Astropath Transcendant.
Normal ones are weak and fearful critters.
>>
>>51424519
Just do it?
Your first mistake is applying a One True Path to 40k, a setting designed to include basically whatever idea you want.
Further, why WOULDN'T you be arrogant?
You control the unknowable primal force with a snap of your fingers and a wink, something unimaginable to most humans, and they fear your power to the point of irrationality.
You are feared because you are mighty, were born mighty, and their "hate" is merely a reflection of their own impotence in the face of the power inherent to you.
>>
>>51424609
That's worldview of rogue psykers, and, perhaps, at least, some librarians.
Besides that, Imperial psykers have generally the same wordview as most other citizens, after all, they've been raised there, according to it's customs and teachings of Scholastica Psykana to which all Sanctioned ones are invariably subjected to.
Most psykers don't *control* much, with a fingersnap no less, and not only do they understand(literally feel) that the threat is as constant and dire as Psykana teaches, but all know(or may even witness) countless other evidence of weak will and misused powers.
So it's unlikely that a significant fraction of lowlevel casters can think that of themselves.
Or do they?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpmiq8sTH0k
>>
>>51424519
>>51424609
And this is why this anon here >>51406412 is wrong. Many players and GMs simply ignore the social penalties of being psykers because it just isn't fun to them. The only thing left to slightly hold them back is that tiny chance of blowing up, but everyone dies someday. That anon bitching at techpriests up-thread for being op was just adorable.
>>
>>51424756
Like I said, why not?
The Imperium is not monolithic, and there is no one way that works everywhere.
Combine that with your character's personal opinion of their own skills and humanity's habit of gloating over the slightest advantage one has over another, and it's easy to justify it.
As for social penalties, there is a difference between having your roleplay be tinged with a certain feeling, and the GM outright shutting you down, which is what a lot of GMs seem to believe is "social penalties", that it means that social interaction is impossible, rather than fraught with it's own issues.
>>
Can anyone tell or guess when in the timeline the events of the vydya are happening? Tartarus, Lorn 5, Kronus, Kaurava.
I'm particularly intereted in Kronus?
>>
>>51425045
>the vydya
Eh?
>>
>>51424519
Exactly what >>51424609 said.

The general rules outlined in fluff of all sanctioned psykers either going into the Adeptus Telepathica or becoming psykers in the IG is more a guideline for the "standard" practice in the IG. Perhaps your character was assigned to the IG where his commanding officer/regiment had more lenient views on Psykers. So maybe your psyker was used as a Bodyguard/aide to his commander. Using his telepathic skills to aid his commander in diplomatic or even tactical missions. Or invoking his divination skills to best optimize battle strategy.

So long as the psyker was very careful about his powers, i.e. hiding them most of the times, most people would probably just think of the character as some wealthy noble who was assigned a cushy job as an aide to a commander. Maybe the commander even was thankful and encouraged the character, while instilling a healthy dose of caution about his powers.

Simply put the Imperium is too large for the small blurbs of fluff and lore to be exact about everything. I'm sure some sanctioned psykers may find themselves being assigned to Planetary Governors/governments serving as bodyguards/ or diviners for trade schedules and tither maintenance. The odds are there are absolutely many instances in lore that have psykers not being penitent little bitches.

But regardless of your characters disposition and outlook it is important to always keep in mind the very real general outlook towards witchcraft across the greater imperium. Even if you're character is a prideful, decorated Primaris psyker, using powers in public should always be a no no unless it is dire circumstances or under a direct command otherwise you can expect clear social penalties.
>>
>>51427655

>I'm sure some sanctioned psykers may find themselves being assigned to Planetary Governors/governments serving as bodyguards/ or diviners for trade schedules and tither maintenance. The odds are there are absolutely many instances in lore that have psykers not being penitent little bitches.

This is canon. Gets mentioned in some of the Dark Heresy books. DH1 mentions that Scholastica Psykana training and classification methods vary from one sector to the next, too. So it's probably pretty variable.
>>
>>51424756
Why wouldn't an ordinary psyker develop such a view as a coping mechanism? Sure, under normal circumstances, he'd have to hide it. But once you're an inquisitorial acolyte, what the fuck are anyone gonna do 'bout it?
>>
So is it possible, in Black Crusade, for a non-Tzeentch aligned heretic to become a psyker? Could he ask of his god(s) to grant him the Gift by making a particularly grand gesture? Or could he obtain it through sorcererus and occult study like the Idolitrex Magi?
>>
>>51424519
You can but if your character thinks like
>>51424609
Then he'll prone to heresy. Hubris and psykers is a recipe for asking the ruinous powers out on a date. Which is fine for your character, temptation is one of the big themes of 40k.

The reason most Psykers are humble and penitent is because the Psykana trains them to be. Just sanctioning alone is enough to break men's spirits, and has a huge cost on the psykers bodies. Add to that years of indoctrination telling the psyker that he is merely a tool of the Emperor.

Acting humble is also a survival mechanism for psykers. Since they're universally distrusted and hated in the Imperium they're on a VERY short leash. So if a psyker is an asshole and he starts acting funny he's that much more likely to get blammed.
>>
>>51428628
Ask your GM. With enough rituals pretty much anything's possible.
>>
>>51398583
Violent encounters. Really general question, look at how the others answered for clues.
>>
>>51428999
I am the GM.
>>
>>51429345
If I were GMing your game I'd have the ritual consist of opening up a warp rift and just jamming so much empyrean energy into the subjects body that they eventually become a psyker. But since mortal bodies don't like being fried so hard the subject has to roll for a gift, but unmodified, as well as taking a shit ton of CP.

So have them take like 4D10 (or any number) of CP, as well as roll for a gift. No modifiers, no rerolls. If they break a CP threshold as a result of the ritual they must also roll for a gift with no modifiers.

The idea is that they can become a psyker, but they might also become disgustingly mutated at the same time.
>>
>>51424519
Be a feral world shaman, or feudal world wizard
>>
>No eldar ranger career in Rogue Trader
fucking dropped.
>>
>>51430869
I thought there was, tho?
At the least, it is covered in homebrew.
>>
So I want my players in Dark heresy to encounter Tau, but Im too afraid that the Tau will just massacre them if they try fighting, and they might. Wat do?
>>
>>51431080
Let them get their shit slapped?
If the players are stupid enough to believe they can throw down with something just because it's not a space marine or daemon, they deserve what they get.
Why would they be havng peaceful dealings with Tau anyway?
>>
>>51431080
What are the circumstances?
>>
>>51431179
I dont want to punish them too much, hell, two of them know jack shit about 40k, I want to get them into it with the campaign. Also >>51431330 , the planet they are on is in a state of civil war, Chaos Regenades agianst the Tau who want to join the world to thier Empire. So I`ll let them choose sides, but its pretty clear they will choose Tau, or try to kill everyone. They are level fucking one, and have2 guardsmen and a techpriest (maybe a psyker) to help them. Also there is an Ork incrusion, but its too small to notice yet. (but they did fight 3 boyz and a nob and survived becasue one of them had a REALLY lucky round of shooting in auto.)
>>
>>51431374
Let me guess, this is DH1e?
Anon, I don't like your game already. You have put the players into a straight up combat situation where they will likely all end up dead, and what you are teaching them is that combat > all else in a game where you are supposed to be investigators.
You should have run Only War if you wanted a big war time scenario.
>>
>>51431429
Its not like that really, I want to try and make the best out of the situation and then leg it. Probably an extermiatus too. Im not trying to lead them into combat, I wanted them to visit a Tau city to check it out and try to make out the situation, but they decided to follow a trail of desctrution and broken weapons.
>>
>>51430998

Homebrew has a corsair and harlequin. There IS a ranger /tg/ collectively worked on, but it's hard to find.
>>
>>51431461
You set them in a battlefield, anon, a nob could wipe out a party alone if it closes the gap.
This entire scenario is a mistake thus far.
Did they have explicit orders to follow, or were they simply told to find out what's going on?
>>
File: scouts_scion.jpg (374KB, 968x1712px) Image search: [Google]
scouts_scion.jpg
374KB, 968x1712px
>>51431374
I feel like you should slow down man.

Level 1 Dark Heresy is supposed to be about investigating. Inquisitor hears about some small time shit, but doesn't have time for it, so he sends a bunch of random mooks he picked up off the street to go check it out. The players might find the cult, they might fight some low level cult mooks or xenos, and if shit gets too bad they call in back ip. That's what Dark Heresy is.

Why would the ][ send a bunch of canaries to an openly hostile planet that has BOTH Xenos and Heretics? What're even the PC's objectives?
>>
>>51431525
They were supposed to find out whats happening, no contact with the planet, but no sights of shit happening yet. Also, its not a battlefield just yet, the Traitor Guardsmen/Cultists are in hiding right now. Im keeping it untill they learn a bit more about the planet and its story.
>>
>>51431558
The inquisitor is a bit of a... bitch. He decided that he is too good for just checking out what happening on the planet, so he sent some mooks to run errands. But shit goes east. I just want to mix some investigation with combat, plus a recurring BBEG for them to face now and then.
no bulli, all I ever DM`ed was some murderhobos in 3.5
>>
>>51431631
>just checking out what happening on the planet
How does the Inquisition not know it's a Tau world? What exactly are they supposed to be checking out?
>>
>>51431631
>all I ever DM`ed was some murderhobos in 3.5
It shows.
Look, anon, you are doing it wrong, straight up.
Combat in DH is a lethal affair, and all it takes is one bad roll to burn fate. The players should be avoiding it, not acting like they can fight everything and win like it's D&D.
Stop treating combat, especially against orks who will laugh off most standard weapons, as a matter of course. If you sent me into that kind of situation, I would have ran, outright. Did you even make them test for Fear, considering the situation?
>>
>>51431656
All communactions lost, noone is responding. The ][ vessel was the nearest one, so they were supposed to check it. The Inquisitor decided the planet had its comms broken after a warp storm that happened a bit earlier and sent PCs in.
Im a bad story writer.

>>51431700
I hinted for them to leg it a few times during the ork encouter, even before it, but they wanted to do an ambush. I did roll for fear, 2 of them failed, but using NPCs I evened it out a little. Also, the really lucky full auto from the guardsman just saved them from the nob outright, if it wasnt for that most of the NPCs would be dead o dying. I guess that this session will be investigation, maybe an encouter with water caste.
>>
>>51431818
All sessions should be investigation, unless they either choose combat or fuck up badly enough that it finds them.
This is where you need to break your own head out of the D&D loop.
No, anon, combat is NOT an expected part of Dark Heresy. It can happen, but when it does, it is a short, ugly affair, especially since taking wounds at all means you need to watch your ass. Wait until they try to patch themselves up, or have to find someone to pay them to patch them up.
>>
>>51431887
Ok anon, I shall do better this time. I just dont want to railroad and if they choose to fight I dont really want to stop them.
>>
>>51431908
>I just dont want to railroad
Don't worry about railroading, worry about presenting the setting to the players.
Tell them to read the fucking book, because it matters.
Make sure the players know that yes, combat is BAD, and that punches won't be pulled, and that if they think violence solves everything, the setting will crush them beneath it's boot.
>>
>>51431970
Aighty, I will make you proud anon. I will write down what happened after the session.
>>
what does E mean in 1d10+4E? 2nd ed
>>
>>51432468
Damage type.
E: energy
I: impact
X: explosive
R: rending
>>
>>51429879
>feudal world wizard
BUUUUURN WITCHETRAITORHERETIC
>>
>>51431985

Dark Heresy always struck me as more like Call of Cthulhu or X-files in 40k. And if there's one thing I learned in Call of Cthulhu, it's that trying to get a fair fight against the damn freaks gets you killed.

The PCs are investigators first, secret police second, SWAT third. Sometimes, they will want to call the cavalry. Even when they are the cavalry,they are sometimes outgunned and often outnumbered. An ambush where they off the cult leader and high-tail it out of there is perfectly okay, and sometimes getting the intel and high-tailing it out of there is just what is needed.

Good luck!
>>
>>51433839
I like investigative and horror aspect of DH, but I don't think it's reasonable to off fights completely.
The prospect of waging a secret war and winning is very promising. Not mentioning how many details in the system revolve around combat, it would simply be a folly to ignore it.
Fighting fair is not required(if at all possible), but winning against supernatural horrors is very much possible.
>>
>>51431908
You shouldn't stop them, but you shouldn't hold back on them either. If they're determined to butt into a three-way war between Chaos, the Tau and the Greenskins, just sit back and describe the gory details of their swift demise. And if they somehow make it through alive by allying with the Tau (probably the only guys in this mess who won't murder them on sight), have them arrested the instant they arrive for collusion with Xenos.

It's harsh, but DH is nothing if not a cruel setting. Allow them to feel the consequences of playing against the setting, and if they feel like flipping the table suggest another game more suited to their taste.
>>
What would the inactive chain weapon profile?
>>
>>51434706
The low-tech/primitive version of whatever it is i.e. chain sword = sword, chain axe = axe, etc.
>>
>>51434706
>>51434732
More like an improvised weapon. Hitting someone with an inactive chainsaw wouldn't do all that much.
>>
File: digga.jpg (306KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
digga.jpg
306KB, 768x1024px
How would one go about playing a digganob in Black Crusade?
>>
>>51436785

Wouldn't RT be a better fit for it?
>>
>>51436785
Create character, pretend to be ork.
>>
Does everyone prefers to play with voice, assuming they aren't doing it in person?
I looked at that site there and found the one and only WH game with text, everything else - voice and vydya.
>>
>>51425934
It's Annoying Faggot for Video Games. He wants to know when in the 40k timeline the various video games take place.
>>
>>51437947
I suppose, but how much of a faggot do you have to be to expect someone will go find info for all the games, or be after something specific but not say what?
>>
I only have 2 players for rogue trader how the fuck do i run this?

I'm gonna do this shit in a month so i got time to prep.

I feel like i might not have enough players and i'm reading through the books.
>>
>>51438657
I think 3 is just about the minimum. 4 or 5 is ideal. If you've gotta run 2 players, consider giving them some minions or something. I've heard of players running 2 characters, but never tried it.
>>
File: Brother Epiphantsev.jpg (48KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Brother Epiphantsev.jpg
48KB, 900x900px
>>51438657
It's really hard not to find any players for RT, unless you're playing in person.
Generally, you only need the Rogue Trader, everyone else are expendable. You can replace them with NPCs, if you so require higher stats.
>>
What is the best hat any of your PCs have ever worn?
>>
>>51437499
I have played in a text-only 5E game and it was fine. The main thing is that you need to know rules pretty well bc looking them up is agony. There's not really much table talk filler, unless you keep multiple whispers or an OOC chat.
>>
>>51438999
Space marine helmet.
>>
File: 1250 DE choices.png (337KB, 1574x938px) Image search: [Google]
1250 DE choices.png
337KB, 1574x938px
repostan

If and when I go up to 1250, which one would be better?
>have 2 squads of venom-mounted trueborn flying around
>have 1 squad of venom mounted trueborn, but give the other kabalites twin-linked splinter rifles and the dark lances the trueborn would have had, and deck out the rest of my army
>>
>>51439476
Add more necrons.
>>
>>51439495
>necrons allying with DE
wat.
>>
>>51439501
Crazy necron overlord and a crazy dark eldar archon team up to terrorize the galaxy.
>>
>>51438999
A player looted a couple of dead Necrons and made them into armor. The Necrons were eventually reanimated by a Phaeron and wound up making him burn infamy. It was some cool armor up until then, though.
>>
>>51439476
Wrong thread, friendo.
>>
File: boones_by_mr_culexus.jpg (166KB, 600x929px) Image search: [Google]
boones_by_mr_culexus.jpg
166KB, 600x929px
Whoo! After years of lurking and taking notes, I finally ran my first campaign of 1st ed Dark Heresy and techniqually my first *ever* succesful game session. Loved my players and they enjoyed the game. Props out to a "This Guy" who helped me herd all the cats in. And thank you to you guys for haveing reliable threads and advice.
>>
>>51440459
>[
Now kill them all.
>>
>>51440676
Hahaha, thats the goal. They are starting to fear the team psyker and picking up on the fact that the scum is tainted by chaos.
>>
>>51411894
From what I recall, Soric was in fact sanctioned, like every other psyker the Imperium in 40k uses. My personal thoughts on the matter is that the cages-and-chains thing is legit, but generally useful for psykers who don't have much control over their powers. If you recall, Soric's ability was to predict the future in small glimpses, but he had no direct control over it. I imagine conditioning psykers to use their powers with pain response is easier than carefully training them over years to unleash at will - especially if they're not powerful enough to be worth the trouble. I imagine that's why Primaris Psykers get to walk around looking relatively unfucked in nice clean robes, while the pleb psykers get stuck in cages, covered in open sores and generally get cattle-prodded into battle.
>>
File: salamander web 2.jpg (4MB, 3916x3346px) Image search: [Google]
salamander web 2.jpg
4MB, 3916x3346px
Hey, So I just wanted to throw this shameless work shill out here. I'm a Fantasy and Sci-Fi Illustrator, and I do primarily character commissions and the like to subsist off of. I end up doing a lot of 40k art work as a result, so in case anybody is interested in having some art done for their campaigns to spruce things up a bit, (playmats, character portraits or the like) here's a work sample of salamander and link to my website. Cheers.
>>
Not sure if it's good or bad that the players in my dark heresy 2E campaign are too cautious. On one hand they aren't blowing their cover casually but on the other hand the game turns into a snail pace where they expect ambush from every corner and barely any progress is made.

I don't mind that combat happens either but that seem to be something everyone shuns as well to a degree. While I'm glad they understand that they need to investigate things properly first it seems they have gotten the notion that combat is a no no due to how lethal it can be.
>>
>>51428628
It'd be very reasonable for a character to become a psyker through occult study or service to the ruinous powers with the sole exception of Khorne.
>>
File: 1474910336883.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1474910336883.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
Can inquisitors train their own armies? If so where do they get all the tanks and stuff from? Do they have to pay for them by paying the leader of the planet they're mustering on? Where do their ships come from? Do they just print out an Imperial bond and shove them down people's mouth before taking off with the stuff? Where do they get actual money From? Can you hire an Inquisitor? How do they get power armour? Favors from the Mechan or do they have their own forges?
>>
>>51441844
Some investigations will be time sensitive and when things feel like it's slowed down too much put a deadline on it. Don't make it immediate, but let the players know that now they only have a few days to make headway on X before X moves on to plan B
>>
File: Alaric Castellan.png (824KB, 373x920px) Image search: [Google]
Alaric Castellan.png
824KB, 373x920px
So I made a stat block for the Inquisitor I'm going to use for my Dark Heresy 2e campaign, in the off chance he is in the field alongside the Acolytes.

I think I went overboard with the talent though, what do people think?
>>
>>51441880
Yes they can train their own armies. DH1E stresses that many inquistors privately supplement their inquistorial power by investing their own resources into stuff they may need. Some inquisitors will have safehouse, bunkers and even private forts hidden across a sub-sector. Some will have used their own personal wealth to get these things and others will use their clout to get these things.

It all depends on the inquisitor. I'm sure there are some Inquisitors who can get tanks from a local world's PDF by simply citing some long forgotten ancient sub-statute of a law passed in M33 pertaining to prosecution of investigations. Others will act like the mob where they demand resources for "protection".

As to how they get the other stuff it's pretty open. It could be solely through ][ connections or through other means.
>>
>>51441966

I like that and will try to work it into the game, gotta remember that even though the party takes it slow the people or things they are after might not and proceed with their plan.

I think the problem is most of them are veterans of a couple of campaigns of dark heresy and other stuff so they know how to play it safe which is good in a way but i kind of miss the beginner eagerness and naivety in some parts.
>>
>>51441880

I think they can either pull some favours or requests to get supplies even the heavier kind, private armies and contractors is no problem and one example in enemy within book for the rogue trader crew background is that the rogue trader were stranded and under attack and landed in debt to a inquisitor who were passing by which is a great asset to have as a inquisitor to call upon.

What's even more hilarious is the rogue trader suspect him getting stranded and in need for help might not have been an accident and manufactured by the inquisitor which more than probable.
>>
>>51441880
You are aware that inquisitors can simply show up and take what they want, right? Granted, the one that thinks he'll get away with that forever deserves whatever horrible fate awaits him. Still, that's an immense amount of power, and any halfway smart inquisitor can *carefully* leverage it to build himself quite the network of spies/allies/contacts/mercenaries/bodyguards/soldiers/etc.
>>
>>51441005
could be interesting, but unlss I 'm becoming blind or a newfag again, I can't see your link anywhere, and reverse image don't help me found you. Nifty salamander though.
>>
>>51438999
>Rogue Trader
Absolutely massive floppy hat with a brim so wide it shaded her entire upper body, with a feather a good half-meter long, the whole thing embroidered with gold and made of the very finest fabric
>Missionary
White-gold and gold plated pope hat with inbuilt laud hailers constantly blasting hymns to the God-Emperor, with an inbuilt incense dispenser.
>Inquisitor 1
Ominous black witch hunter hat with a silver =][= on the front
>Magos-Errant
Gleaming steel pope hat that was actually attached to his enhanced skull and was full of cogitator implants.

In our games, hats are strongly suggested, but taste is something that happens to other people.
>>
>>51413068
>>51413217
>Tau
>Vespid
>Kroot
>Demiurg
>Gue'vesa humans
>Sarhaduin
>Tarellians
>Loxatl
There you go.
>>
How is "shrieking wails of a mother who smothers her baby to spare it suffering, intermingled with the last lamenting sobs of a man who realised he has wasted his life and will die slowly, alone, and in pain." for the true name of a demon?
>>
>>51443467
Edgy, shit.
>>
>>51443467
Not edgy enough. Needs more coprophilia.
>>
File: 11234245636756.gif (1001KB, 440x300px) Image search: [Google]
11234245636756.gif
1001KB, 440x300px
>>51443467
>>
File: Techpriest.jpg (44KB, 244x252px) Image search: [Google]
Techpriest.jpg
44KB, 244x252px
/tg/ i know how you feel about homebrew, but I need some help. We're starting a new game, OW, as an admech group. There's five of us. I'm looking to fill in what our team is missing. We've got a vanguard, peltast, magos reductor, and electropriest who's going fulgurite so far. We haven't picked a regiment type yet but we might be going with a transport. Right now, I'm thinking either another melee character to help out our electropriest, or a ranger so we have someone who can drive and scout. We're dakka-heavy enough as is. Any thoughts on what I should make, /tg/?
>>
>>51436785
Say "WITNESS ME!" a lot.
Drive too fast.
Pretend to be Orks.
Wind up being better Orks than the Orks.
Secretly worship Necrons.
>>
>>51446213

neck urself fag
>>
>>51446213
Raus.
>>
So what do you guys think about WHFB RPG's publishing rights having been bought/secured by cubicle7? Think there's hope for the 40k RPGs to get picked up?
>>
>>51447545
Have they made anything worthwhile? Most tell me that 3ed is shit, so I never bothered to look at it, 2ed seems godlike. Or something.
If not, it's easily convertable to the newer system in 40krpg
>>
>>51447944

Dr. Who RPG and LOTR RPG
>>
How much noise does an active power weapon passively make? Would it be enough to give a penalty to stealth tests?
>>
File: Weapon Noise.png (723KB, 571x1002px) Image search: [Google]
Weapon Noise.png
723KB, 571x1002px
>>51449592
Take a guess.
>>
>>51449592
>How much noise does an active power weapon passively make?
Think lightsaber.
>Would it penalize Stealth tests?
Sure, a bit, but seeing as you usually wouldn't keep it drawn and active while trying to be sneaky, it doesn't really matter. Same deal with chain weapons, you usually only rev them mid-swing or when you're trying to scare someone.
>>
>>51449684
>you usually wouldn't keep it drawn and active while trying to be sneaky
You never know with some people.
>>
>>51449921

Power fields and shields used to have a dull glow in DH1 that autofailed concealment tests anyway.
>>
>>51450669
What happens if you're in a room with a brighter glow? Did they automatically fail Silent Move, too?
>>
>>51450753
If your GM isn't shit, it didn't matter.
>>
File: deamonette.png (690KB, 440x887px) Image search: [Google]
deamonette.png
690KB, 440x887px
Pirate Prince of the Ragged Helix refluffed as fallen Commissar. Stupid or interesting?
>>
File: Tetchvar.jpg (58KB, 597x509px) Image search: [Google]
Tetchvar.jpg
58KB, 597x509px
>>51452515
Neutral.
>>
>>51452515
Stupid.
>>
>>51452515
Awesome.
>>
>>51452613
>>51452624
>>51452634
Well thank you, you've been absolutely no help.
>>
>>51452699
You wanted opinions on it, you got them.
>>
>>51452515
Stupid, yet awesome.
>>
>>51404345
>>51405666
Do you know what the concepts of level or balance mean ?
Do you know that FFG produces other lines for characters with varying degrees of power, like deathwatch or rogue trader ? Usually resulting in playing a lexmechanic in DH and a magos in RT
Are you really telling us that techpriests should be OP fluff-wise in a game where imperial assassins and inquisitors are playable classes on higher levels ?
>>
>>51419253
There's also Tainted Psyker talent.
Basically, gain 1 Corruption for +10 bonus to Focus Power and +5 on Psychic Phenomena each. There doesn't seem to be a limit for the corruption gained that way.
>>
>>51453593
On higher levels techpriests are evening out with the likes of inquisitors and assasins anyway, exactly like in the fluff. So what were you wanted to say, again?
>>
>>51433839
Alright, the session went meh. I expected them to go to the city and do some investigation, but they went to the underhive. In a middle of a Khornate cult. Now they are figuring out how to get out and blow the place up with a melta bomb. Only one of them got knocked out too. Ended the session with some guardsmen turned tau going to the cultist hideout and getting into a fight with the khornates.
>>
>>51438999
A SoB skull. It wasn't even Black Crusade
>>
>>51453724
Ye, you were playing a Grey Knight.
>>
>>51453747
Kek, sadly I didn't meme that hard. No, I was playing DH and to blend in with a bunch of cultists I murdered a sister and cut her head off, and made it wearable (fieldcraft test for some reason). It worked.
>>
So why were psyker powers gimped so hard in 2e Dark Heresy?
>>
>>51454115
They were already gimped like that in OW, presumably to limit their OP.
Same thing also happened to Heavy Flamers for some reason and probably some other things as well.
Feel the power of BALANCE.
>>
>>51454163
Lame. Why the fuck should I have to be balanced against the chucklefuck with a lasgun when every action I take has a chance of sucking me into a wormhole?

This is why they pay oilrig workers more than office supply salesmen, fucking danger privileges.
>>
>>51454163
They weren't gimped at all in OW.
>>
File: AtlasYoung1.jpg (209KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
AtlasYoung1.jpg
209KB, 1366x768px
>>51404563
Tech-Priests are way worse than psykers.

Psykers actually have fluff imposed on them. Noone trusts a psyker, daemons always want to eat psykers, inquisitors treat psykers like shit. (moreso than usual...)

Tech-Priests? Everyone makes a fucking excuse for them. They're apologized for at every front despite holding the imperium back and every tech-priest player acts like Donald Trump with a fetish for fucking up a perfectly functional security system. Grab the machine spirit by the pussy...

Also you wanna talk about fluff? Sly Marbo and Ciapher Cain prove guardsmen should be OP as fuck.
>>
File: 14435524422570.jpg (57KB, 406x604px) Image search: [Google]
14435524422570.jpg
57KB, 406x604px
>>51454224
Well, probably because said bitches bawwwd so loudly the FFG decided it BALANCE you into dust.
That's not to say that you still can't fcuk most of them even so, but it will be harder.
Generally it's better to use your powas to buff yourself and then killem by ordinary, but enhanced means.
>>51454263
They totally were, tho, many of their powers were fucked rather seriously, even if some were buffed.
DH2 seems to have continued this as most powers were taken straight from it.
But then I do see Holocaust is back! Not in the Pyromancy for some reason. Lame.
>>51454278
While this is somewhat true, it's only somewhat, since swole techpriests from all other books were gimped back into the DH setting. They can't get Machinator Array or even The Flesh is Weak. Even fucking Guardsmeats could have that in OW.
>>
>>51453779
No consequences afterward?
>>
Does DH 2e still allow you to finish a game then go right into Rogue Trader?
>>
File: roguetrader_10.gif (91KB, 445x620px) Image search: [Google]
roguetrader_10.gif
91KB, 445x620px
>>51454341
Question quite linked to this one:
Is there a homebrew conversion of Rogue Trader with the DH2 system?
>>
>>51454341
You can in theory, but it's not a smooth transition. The xp advancement system has changed, so there's DH1e, RT, & DW, then OW & DH2e, and BC by itself. That's just the start. Psyker stuff changes each time, and so do a bunch of other things.
>>
>>51454353
There was stuff here, but it seems whoever put it up took down the RT bits.

http://messiahcide.deviantart.com/gallery/
>>
File: Trump Hillary For Lunch.jpg (476KB, 1462x1678px) Image search: [Google]
Trump Hillary For Lunch.jpg
476KB, 1462x1678px
>>51454278
>every tech-priest player acts like Donald Trump with a fetish for fucking up a perfectly functional security system. Grab the machine spirit by the pussy...
So you mean they are Making the Imperium Great Again?
Well, that's true, they are trying to.
>>
What does "light" power armor look like?
>>
>>51454278
Please see here >>51424519 and here >>51424609 for some insight into how players will want to play psykers. For many groups, bashing on Steve's character continuously cause they're a psyker gets tiresome and unfun for Steve, the other players and even the GM. Soon as they let up or stop, there goes 90% of what's holding psykers back and all they gotta worry about now is that small chance of blowing up. And it is a small chance, no matter what cool stories anyone's heard.
>>
>>51454507
Think sororitas armor, but less body tight.
>>
>>51454539
Funnily enough, sororitas armour is absolutely better than ordinary light PA.
No Hulking, always Braced and much larger Ag, what the shit.
>>
>>51454568
Funny, looking at BC, PA has Str+20 and Hulking in the same trait, while Light PA has Str+10 in a separate trait.
>>
>>51454609
Then again, BC doesn't have stealth penalties for armour, and as written black carapace negates hulking entirely.
>>
>>51454619
The errata clarified it that the carapace only negates the bonus to hit them, not Hulking entirely.
>>
>>51454539
So after googling, it's basically a suit of full plate armour just with bigger shoulders and a backpack for the generator?
>>
Broadcast Astral Telepathy messages are picked up y everyone with a psy rating and the psyniscience skill within range

So the average psyker gets at least a few dozen random brain tweets every day from psykers he doesn't know sending out info and warnings.

No wonder so many become Sorcerers, that'd piss me of too
>>
>>51454627
Small mercies.

>>51454688
And some extra strength.
>>
>>51454798
Which one are you talking about? All the mental communication powers that come to mind don't have such a restriction on who can hear it.
>>
>>51454336
Apart from being ripped to shreds by a Khornate leader later on, nothing but a corruption point
>>
>>51454955
Astral Telepathy from Rogue Trader, the thing that lets Astropaths communicate across sectors
>>
>>51455013
That one takes 1d5 hours to use. Hardly anything resembling tweets, especially accidental ones considering you need a soul-binding to do it.
>>
>>51454688
Almost, the armour is also all-enclosing and made of ceramite.
Full plate, or ceramite or similar can become "power-assisted" in RT, this basically only gives +10 to Str.
>>51454609
They were stupid to remove a flat +something bonus to strengh. While it's not ideal, it's better representing increased strengh of the armour.
>>
>>51455057
Nod really. Astrotelepaty messages are often encrypted and overall are sent to the specific recipient.
It's like mail, but if you can't see the internet webs, you can't see the message going either.
And most psykers are basic users, trained in the use of google mail.
>>51454798
>you need a soul-binding to do it
No you don't. Only proper training.
>>
Since sanctioned psykers are generally grotesque, and Inquisitors are invariably statuesque gothic supermodels - does that mean that any psychic Inquisitors didn't manifest their powers until they were already in the Ordos?
>>
>>51424519
One of my PCs is a psyker born in a terran noble family. Even if he was cast out to some obscure border world, he is still an arrogant prick showing utter despise for anything that is not fluent in high gothic.
Any noble born psyker who was not totally rejected by his family would end up in such a situation, having bypassed the shitty treatments most of the other psychics have to go through.
>>
>>51455424
Not all sanctioned psykers lose their eyes and shit, just get fucked up and need to recover from it.
>>
File: Imperial_Psyker2.jpg (316KB, 675x1058px) Image search: [Google]
Imperial_Psyker2.jpg
316KB, 675x1058px
>>51455482
so they dont all look like the Ghostbuster who retired after the deep fryer accident?
>>
>>51454530
You shouldn't need to constantly think you need to shut another player down, lest they become UNLIMITED POWER when you aren't looking.
>>
>>51455610
No, especially the ones that are in a situation to get proper medical recovery and sponsorship like many inquisitor psykers.
>>
>>51455610
look into the Sanctioning Side Effects table in DH
there's some variety
>>
Meks no longer have inbuilt respirator in DH2.
What the fuck?
>>
File: Sanc.png (469KB, 916x811px) Image search: [Google]
Sanc.png
469KB, 916x811px
>>51455735
>>
>>51455748
Probably because it's become canon that not all of them do. Look at models like the Electro-Priests to see that; they've got implants, sure, but nothing attached to their mouths or throats.
>>
>>51405666
I need more tech priest sick buns
>>
I have one player and want to test out a 40k role play game which one would be best to do this? I figure only war would be nifty because of the whole he can control a few squad members and make his own regiment. Rogue trader as a close 2nd. Any suggestions?
>>
>>51456669
SPAAAAAAAAACE

MARIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINES

!!!!!!
>>
>>51456675
Is solo SPAAAAAAAACE MARIIIIIINES any good?
>>
>>51456688
There's literally a class in Rites of Battle designed entirely around being a solo space marine: the Deathwatch Kill Marine.
>>
>>51456716
Oh shit that sounds pretty exciting ever tried it?
>>
>>51456597
It's not just become canon, it's almost always been canon, especially since at the starting xp level DH2E Mechanicus PCs aren't much better than Tech-Adepts and certainly aren't full Techpriests barring shenanigans. I'm fine with the change.
>>
File: Butter Challenge.webm (2MB, 406x498px) Image search: [Google]
Butter Challenge.webm
2MB, 406x498px
>>
>>51456840
How did she not die?!
>>
File: 1433408097153.png (211KB, 467x348px) Image search: [Google]
1433408097153.png
211KB, 467x348px
>>51456840
>>
>>51456669
Only War is a pretty good one because it's easy to railroad, but oftentimes the players won't see as much of the setting as they might have.

Rogue Trader I think is the worst for someone new to the setting because of how open ended it is, but it is imo, one of the better systems.
>>
Planning on introducing a few friends of mine to roleplaying. WIll be also my first game.

Could you guys give me a few introduction session ideas?
>>
>>51458125
Which system?
>>
>>51458146
I want to use either Only War or Dark Heresy 2. Only War seems to be the easier of the two though.
>>
>>51456724
Not that anon, but I played a Kill Marine teamed up with an Inquisitorial retinue in one high level campaign.
It was pretty fun. He gets a few social talents so he's not completely useless when he's not kickin' ass, and he can trigger his "squad mode" abilities while he's alone.
>>
>>51452515
Stupid. The whole point of the Pirate Prince is he gets a ship. Commissars don't have ships. Go Apostate or Renegade instead if you want to play a fallen Commissar.
>>
>>51458437
Refluffed. Comandeered the ship he was on, took it from a chaos raider, etc.
>>
>>51442002
How old is he supposed to be? Like 30-70? or in the hundreds? If the former, probably drop a couple talents (like Lexographer and Xenosavant, those are what his entourage is for), and if the later, tune down his physical stats and talents a bit (e.g. catfall).

Also, is he supposed to be a radical? Most puritan Inquisitors would not be openly using xenos weaponry, as far as I recall. Amathians (relatively moderate for an inquisitor) and especially the other Puritan groups, the Monodominants and the Thorians, try and keep it non-xenos, non-Chaos.
>>
>>51456669
Only War has the simplest character generation, provided the GM makes the regiments or uses the pregens from any of the books.

>>51457694
You can stick an IG regiment on a RT ship, and have them see more of the setting without requiring the player(s) be versed in the minutia of RT.
>>
Are normal people in the Imperium of Man citizens or subjects? Working on a glossary of terms for my players in a DH2e campaign I'm running and wondering if anyone remembers how they refer to them in the literature. Rulebook uses both terms.
>>
>>51460540
Varies by planet of origin.
>>
>>51460540
Most planets will have a feudal society of nobles over a poor working (often overworking) class.

But the MRB notes that there are always exceptions. And a lot of fluff indicates that planets become tyrannical due to tithe demands. Planets with exceptionally efficient and/or even benevolent governments could theoretically find ways to pay their tithe without making life shit for everyone. Or a planet with a lower tithe demand than it has the capacity to meet.
>>
So, one of my players for an upcoming Rogue Trader game have expressed interest in playing a Dark Eldar (looks like it's probably gonna be a Kabalite Warrior). And while I'm alright with the inclusion of xenos in the game, I don't really know all that much about the Dark Eldar.

What would you guys say motivates a Dark Eldar to join up with a band of humans? What could he have to gain from it all?

And just as importantly, what would a Rogue Trader stand to gain to permit a traitorous eldar aboard his ship?
>>
>>51462587
Well, if this Deldar might want to hang out with people who are not looking to rip him apart at the first sign of weakness.
As for the rogue traider.. Well, eldars make for pretty deadly fighters, it's always good to have one on your side.
>>
>>51462587
Slaves. Slaves.

Plausible deniability if they send the xeno on solo ops and avoid being seen with it in public?
>>
>>51462587
Money (possibly in the form of slaves), escaping from some problem back in Commoragh.

Extremely deadly cannon fodder.
>>
>>51462587

Proving that you're the hottest shit this side of the webway.
>>
Are there any homebrews for playing genestealer hybrids?

I kinda think about running a reverse DH game
>>
>>51398731
There are rules on the SAME PAGE for hooking them up to an external power source
>>
>>51462688
>>51462694
>>51462743
>>51462766
Thanks ya'll. I'll keep this in mind and mention it to the player as something worth considering.

While on the subject of the Deldar, are there any books that you could recommend, so I can familiarize myself with the Deldar? Campaign books are fine to, if there's any good ones for the subject mater.
>>
>>51463175

Read the codex, it gives a brief overview of how they do things. You can get it from the 40k General. You can also give the Path of the Archon book a go. It may have some insight as well.
>>
File: Kabalite Warriors.jpg (105KB, 900x802px) Image search: [Google]
Kabalite Warriors.jpg
105KB, 900x802px
>>51463341
Thank you, I'm reading through the codex now, and I'll make sure to look up Path of the Archon.
>>
File: 1485307381121.jpg (69KB, 453x576px) Image search: [Google]
1485307381121.jpg
69KB, 453x576px
>>51456840
>>
File: 1482482208963.png (659KB, 994x1064px) Image search: [Google]
1482482208963.png
659KB, 994x1064px
How would you go about recruiting cultists and sleeper agents in Black Crusade?

In both a roleplay and mechanical perspective.
>>
>>51464364
>How would you go about recruiting cultists and sleeper agents in Black Crusade?
"Psst. Hey, you. Yeah, come over here. You want to become a god? You do? Awesome, join up with me and you'll be a god in no time. Now take this half-blunt sword and charge that heavy bolter nest, to the survivor goes the glory and the ascension."
>>
>>51464364
That entirely depends on where you're doing the recruiting. It would be easier to get such from a chaos-aligned world than an imperial shrine world for instance.

There are GM controlled NPC followers and actual Minions that you get with the lesser/normal/greater follower of chaos talent along with horde minion of chaos talent.
>>
>>51464364

no /tg/ stop I don't want to be sexually attracted to sandwiches now
>>
>>51464364
First of all this >>51465191
And then deliberate rolls of Charm, Deceive, Intimidate, or Infamy, depending on the nature of recruiting.
Cultists are cannon fodder, so might even allow no rolls at all or just Command - to simply press-gang some local wildlife into submission just like Rogue Traders sometimes do to recruit crew.
NPC and Minions are supposed to someone more meaningful than a mere fodder, so some rolls might be in order or simply spend exp and/or roleplay in Minions case.
>>
>>51467634
I think you might want to delete that image.
>>
File: Lewd_Warmaster.png (164KB, 800x869px) Image search: [Google]
Lewd_Warmaster.png
164KB, 800x869px
>>51464364
You know, the usual...
>>
>>51467654
If it's really that offensive, janitor will do it for me.
>>
My Chaos Space Marine just got the Illusion of Normalcy gift.

What are some fun shenanigans to do?

Khorne worshiper btw.
>>
>>51468168
Do surprise slaughter parties in the middle of large crowds and everybody's shit with that constant +30 to hit.
>>
File: 1479814223004.jpg (113KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1479814223004.jpg
113KB, 720x960px
How would you rule Schola Progenium characters in DH2?
Here's my vision.

Home World:

Schola Progenium Characteristic Modifiers: +Willpower

Fate threshold: 3 (Emperor’s Blessing 4+)

Home World bonus: Schola Education
Common Lore (Imperium), Common Lore (Imperial Creed), Iron Jaw
Can never take more than -20 penalty on Willpower tests

Home World Aptitude: Willpower

Wounds: A schola progenium character starts with 8+1d5 wounds.

Recommended backgrounds: Adeptus Administratum, Adeptus Arbites, Imperial Guard, Adeptus Ministorum, Imperial Navy, Adepta Sororitas

Forbidden backgrounds: Adeptus Astra Telepathica, Adeptus Mechanicus, Heretek, Outcast, Mutant
Forbidden Roles: Mystic
>>
>>51469544
Needs another + and - characteristic mod.
>>
>>51469634
Maybe it does, but what would you give as a drawback?
One thought was to make it +Toughness and -Fellowship, but that seems silly, especially Fel.
That why I left only Willpower.

Also, there's a problem with background choices.
If it's a homeworld, then it's techinically possible to become psykers, meks and else.

So maybe it should be a background?
>>
>>51469544
Found this, if it helps prompt ideas.
>>
>>51468168
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/134632-khornes-illusion-of-normality/
Depends on how you fluff it.
Can be you always has surprise on first round if fight, because nobody expect gandhi to punch you in the face,
Or you are like that little girl with teddybear, and she is in front of someone, and this someone is suddently hacked in pieces like something invisible is slashing him, everybody sees the little girl doing nothing wrong (aside playing the scared little girl), but it is the illusion of normality: the truth is the girl is slashing the guy with her axe right now in front of everyone and nobody can accept this expect those who pierced the eldritch foul daemonic magical mindfucking illusion.
I like the latter better but too much fucking OP imho.

>>51466033
Too late. Now your sammich is your waifu. Eating it is guro. Blame Slaanesh and go ask the SoB next door to clean your mess with holy organic prometheum.

Completely aside of it, in DH2 the feudal origin makes primitive weapons both non-primitive and proven? The technological gaps are something very fun to play in 40k from my point of view, and I would prefer a feudal knight to make his sword reforged by techpriest into mono, and his armour reforged into something better, than allowing him going with iron plates and iron sword and being near equal with a dude with an hitech sword. So I am thinking about homebrewly changing the bonus of thd feudal origin. What do you think would fit? Thanks!
>>
>>51469805
>So I am thinking about homebrewly changing the bonus of thd feudal origin.
I think you can simply give a choice between this, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Besides that, feral world ability is shitty and very low level. Feodal is much-much better for both, you can buy a poor quality armour and it will count as common.

There's also a special Feodal World origin too, here it's ability

A Keen Blade: The first time a character from Hrax inflicts damage on a target with a bladed melee weapon each encounter, he gains a +10 bonus to Weapon Skill tests to attack that target with that weapon until the end of the encounter.
>>
>>51469884
Thanks! Where does this comes from?
I think I would adapt it for "choose the kind of weapon your medieval character was very good at, when you use this kind of weapon you get this bonus".
Like if he is a blunty guy, the bonus will be associated to blunty things, if axe/sword/etc, sharpy things...
>>
>>51470001
Same as Feodal World, Enemies Within.
Difference is that it's a one particular Feodal World - Hrax. It's therwise idential to the baseline one.
I approve your adaptation. Good luck.
>>
>>51469805
>To most, the character appears to have the unaltered form he was born with, while to those touched by the warp the truth is more likely to be visible, and truly horrific.
RAW, ION characters look like the self they would have grown into without chaos. Which means only corrupt little girls look like little girls. Surprise is then part of the supernatural effect.
>>
>>51470074
Thanks!
So the CSM was born a human.
So he will look like a tall, bulky man (like the Rock), but nothing appealing or shocking. Like the Rock but it doesn't shock you if you see him in the street.
When he punches you in the face, damn even if he is the Rock you wouldn't have expected that from him. Like as if a dog cited Don Quixote in spanish to you from a car passing by. Nobody expect that.

And people touched by the warp see the CSM as normal.
If I'm a loyal citizen with corruption points, I am touched by the warp. If I am a sanctioned, loyal imperial psyker, I am fucking obscenely touched by the warp. So potentially a fuckton of people can see through the veil of the Illusion of Normality.

Am I getting this right?
>>
>>51470074
You forgot the part where CSM might appear not as SM.
>The character gains the Unremarkable Trait, regardless of how many mutations he has, what weapons he is carrying, or even if he is a Chaos Space Marine.
>>
>>51455424
>Inquisitors are invariably statuesque gothic supermodels

Not at all, see Ravenor. Inquisitors can be a whole load of things, I feel they are the single most varied and creative aspect of 40K.
>>
File: Ravenor Interrogator.jpg (239KB, 1204x890px) Image search: [Google]
Ravenor Interrogator.jpg
239KB, 1204x890px
>>51470238
>Ravenor
Fucking cute one.
>>
>>51439108
That reminds me of my Star Wars Ace who got an old Mandalorian helmet and wore it around everywhere to look tough. It was amusing because he'd usually drop if anyone so much as sneezed at him.
>>
>>51470283
I'd hardly call that cute or even handsome, and then he turns into a vat of organs.
>>
>>51470159
No. You actually need the psyniscience skill to see through it. Simply being 'slightly' corrupted doesn't mean shit.
>>
>>51470169
I didn't forget anything, but I did assume you would remember no one is born a space marine.

>>51470159
>So he will look like a tall, bulky man
Would they have grown into a tall bulky man without surgery?

>And people touched by the warp see the CSM as normal.
Anyone who passes a psyniscience test will notice something is up, effectively. Pysniscience is a basic skill in BC.
>>
>>51470298
But he hasn't had his skin boiled or is missing half his skull. So still,
>>
>>51441880
The answer to pretty much all of that is: Rosette.

Have you read any BL or other fluff?
>>
>>51441880
A real Inquisitor can literally burn your planet to a crisp if they feel like it, on the absolute authority of the Emperor himself

If some guy claiming to be an Inquisitor came and demanded your tanks, would you ask for the paperwork and reimbursement, or would you give him your tanks just in case?
>>
>>51440459
>1st ed
Why?
>>
>>51438657
Physical or online game?
>>
>>51470298
Well, I have my tastes, but he fits the "gothic statuesque" description perfectly.
The Chair doesn't count, since he became that after an accident, not due to any natural means.
As for the original question, I don't think all psykers look fucking annatural, even imperial ones. Some have it better than others.
>>51470302
I could argue that illusion hides his body shape, but then I remember The Last Church, so sometimes ordinary people could notice this too.
>>
>>51431374
>hell, two of them know jack shit about 40k
I ran a game as an intro to the setting for 3 people who knew nothing at all of 40K, and I just made sure to let them especially know their place (as humans, as Inquisitorial henchmen) in the universe when I was giving the rundown on the setting. They understood fairly well, I mean at one stage they were on a ship surrounded by cultists and didn't try to just kill them all, and they shrugged off several encounters with a group of merc traders by pure conversation.
>>
>>51470360
An Inquisitor should be able to prove he is one, otherwise no one is obliged to help him just because he says so. The Rosetta is his primary proof.
Giving tanks just in case can result in heresy more likely than you think.
>>51470159
>>51470302
Also Warp Sense talent allows Psyniscience test as a Free Action, meaning psykers can literally feel any disturbances around. This includes any Illusions.
>>
>>51470403
I could make a rosette from paper mache while my Commissar isn't looking, doesn't make me an Inquisitor.
>>
>At Psy Rating 4–6, the psyker often glows with the light of the Emperor when activating a power. Some may hear the blessed choir of the Astronomican as abilities are used, and any of the Emperor’s sacred sigils near the psyker may glow with faint light.

>At Psy Rating 7+, allies feel as though they are in the very presence of the God-Emperor when the psyker grants his blessing upon them. Any Imperial insignia within Psy Rating metres of the psyker glow with glorious light any time the psyker uses a Technique from the Soul Ward Discipline.

The powers come with glowing skulls and the heavenly chorus of dying psykers. I love this.
>>
>>51470415
Yes, and everyone will surely believe that. It's not like Rosettes have any actual technology and encryption in them.
>>
>>51470415
Rosette is supposedly more than a piece of shitty paper and are some techno-arcana device.
>>
>>51470431
That sounds like 1st Ed drivel. Psychic powers really aren't that "godly" in 40K, especially when every power cast reaches into the Warp and has a chance of the Warp reaching back out.
>>
>>51470431
Placing Holocaust there is still very fucking lame. Verily.
>>
>>51470456
It's from Rogue Trader, are there multiple editions of that?
>>
>>51416929
Speak for yourself, my character is built for pushing and it works fine. Worst I've gotten is that I blinked out of existence for a few rounds.
>>
>>51470501
Do you like casting with 30% chance?
>>
In the games, is there a mechanical effect to being made a Primaris psyker? If so, which book?
>>
>>51469805
>Completely aside of it, in DH2 the feudal origin makes primitive weapons both non-primitive and proven?
No, that's a Feral. Feudal lets you be a ninja in clunky plate armor.
>>
>>51470450
True, but the commissar will not open the rosetta to see if its empty inside or not. He is going to squeal in front of the fake pseudogolden rosetta and give the tanks and his favorite hats with the biggest smile his fear can fosters.

>>51470299
>>51470302
>>51470380
>>51470403
Thank you all! So the CSM must avoid passing by the local Psyker-reserved bar in town. And the local Astropath choir. And this radical Inquisitor in front of him in the bus.

>>51470302
They could have grown into the Rock. Because the Rock is real yet a mere human.

>>51470633
My bad. So... Feral. Ok. So the Rund alt bonus is Zeal of the Convert. Can fit some characters but not all. What kind of bonus for Feral in place of the original bonus feature? Like is less afraid of Huge creatures, so less Fear taken from them? What do you think if that?
>>
>>51470702
>Thank you all! So the CSM must avoid passing by the local Psyker-reserved bar in town. And the local Astropath choir. And this radical Inquisitor in front of him in the bus.
And anyone with a decent base perception plus luck enough to roll lower than Perception - 20.
>>
Anyone else thinking that Sanctic and Malefic powers are absolute kind of bullshit?
>>
>>51470762
I like the group-buff aspect of Sanctic.
>>
>>51470824
What meant is Sanctic powers are horribly OP.
You can get 1xPR Unnatural Strengh, 5xPR force field with no overload almost for free.
And enemy gets Willpower damage and then unblockable X+CB damage per turn or Instability test, 1d10+WP+PR Flame, Spray, Sanctified, and the grand 1d10xPR Blast(PR) Flame, Warp Weapon. All in one bullshit discipline.

And Malefics get some shit that also gives them PR Corruption points with each cast.

That's like a step back to the original Dark Heresy, where you die from a faint breeze.
>>
>>51470916
I propose, if you uses a sanctic power and you have at least 1 CP, you take nbCP damages. You fucking channel Big E's light in you body, it is normal it burns you if you have fuel inside.
>>
>>51470537
I don't though? You realise there's a talent that lets you push without the penalty right? I also have 60 Will because I don't roll my attributes like a chump.
>>
>>51470988
I would rather destroyed this discipline completely and distributed it's powers over the others. At least partially.
Some of them might be refluffed as Emperor-aligned, some are Chaos-aligned.
Point is, you don't need to channel Big E into yourself to really shine.

And made Malefics suffer less Corruption, there are other ways to gain it.
>>
>>51470618
Which system are you even talking about?
>>
>>51470702
>He is going to squeal in front of the fake pseudogolden rosetta
First of all, rosette*.

Secondly no, no he won't. That'll be a deceive roll first and foremost, and even then anyone who then goes and tries to validate the fake Inquisitor's name you give will find out the truth, and there won't even be a service for your body.
>>
>>51471061
Any one most likely.
>>51470618
Any the answer is no. Primaris is basically is just a high level battle psyker with official seal of trust.
>>
>>51470702
>>51471078
Oh, talking about deceive rolls, I forgot that creating such a Rosette will first off require some kind of rolls to actually create something resembling a Rosette. Also, requiring your character to have not only actually seen a Rosette, but seen one for long enough to pay specific attention to what it looks like and the details one features, which I can guarantee you 99.999999% of the population cannot muster.
>>
>>51471034
I actually don't. What is it?

60 WP is still lame tho. And getting the coveted 70 is rather hard.
>>
>>51471127
>60 WP is still lame tho
Do you and I play the same game? 60 -anything- is great, because you then stack on all your bonuses and shit to get it to ~80.

Also, it's called Warp Conduit. At first it sounds bad, but...
>you push for a set amount of extra PR
This will net you negatives sure, but taking a basic power at 0 difficulty, you have 60 Will + 10 psy focus, push for 2 gives you a net 50 to roll under. You also have these things called Fate points...
>roll 1D5 and add that shit
So with my example of pushing for 2, you're now looking at a 3-7 gain on your PR, for a 50% chance spell.
>roll Phenomena at +30, +5 times your original push value
This is why you have Warp Lock, so you can stop any truly bad shit, and if you're Astra Telepathica as well you get to influence any mildly bad shit to something more benign.

TL;DR, pushing is only bad for idiots who don't know how to psyker.
>>
File: Ouch.jpg (109KB, 504x720px) Image search: [Google]
Ouch.jpg
109KB, 504x720px
>>51471224
>Do you and I play the same game?
Yes.
And pfft. You said Pushing without penalties, and this is just relying on luck.
50 is literal coinflip. Assuming no other things like Daemonic Presence will fuck your roll.
But yeah, this much I was able to get.

Still, like I said, 60 Willpower is lame, because you can't get any other bonuses for casting, barring some malefic shit.
70 WP is a solid standart for reliable casting.
Psykers could get this in DH1 and even 80x3.
>>
>>51471280
That is pretty much straight out of chargen though. Again, modifiers etc... You also seem to forget that pushing is supposed to be a once or twice per session thing as well, so you can afford to spend them Fate points and make sure it hits.

>because you can't get any other bonuses for casting
Partially wrong, some powers operate on stuff other than pure Willpower. All Divination shit for example used Psyniscience, and then again adds the psy focus bonus.

>Psykers could get this in DH1
Right, but the overall power level of 1st Ed. is much higher.

Also you seem to focus so highly on the hit chance, but you're missing the point of psychic powers. I mean sure, a sniper or gunner type can get up to 80, 90% chance of shooting something, but at the end of the day they are -just- shooting something. I trivialised an entire encounter myself by Terrifying two big beasties which the GM thought would give us trouble. One of them never got to attack once, I made him run back out of the room we were in, and when he ran back in I made him vomit uncontrollably for some amount of minutes. A bullet can't do that.
>>
>>51471336
Most modifiers on psychic powers are starting at +0 and go below that and I don't recall a psyniscience-based offensive power.

About half of the psychic powers are basically just shooting something with mind bullets. And another half is causing opposed or simply tests on the enemies' part.
And you might not have any Fate points when you'll need for the serious battle. The example above takes 1 or 2 fate points when you usually have ~3.

And I don't focus on hit chance, rather on casting chance, since in my practice anything lower than 50 is going to fail more likely than it might seem.
Nice move, but in the end of day you still shot them anyway, so I think you might as well just skip straight to that, since debuffs are not terribly reliable.
Also that power can easily scare your allies as well.
>>
>>51471569
Why does it have to specifically be offensive? Prescience is a good combat power and relies on Psyniscience.

>About half of the psychic powers are basically just shooting something with mind bullets
Ahahahahahahahahaha. You've really never played a Psyker, have you?
>>
>>51471652
I've played Psykers likely more than you. You know nothing about the rolls.
>>
>>51471731
It's nothing to do with the rolls, it's to do with you trying to play a Psyker like a gunman.

Yes, okay, we could have -just- shot that beast, sure. But in the 3-5 turns it would have taken to take him out, he would've gotten around 6-10 attacks back against us. Plus his friend, who only got to attack for one of the turns. Psychic powers are so much more useful than you understand, and there are so, SO many more powers that are not just mind bullets.
>>
>>51471780
It strongly depends on the powerlevel.
If you mean like 2-3 PR and a few powers against a Ogryn-level brutes and then sure, Fear will work better.
If you have like 5-6 PR and Molten Beam you can just melt them in 2 or 1 turn and move on.
And it's only if you were alone, usually you are going with 3 more people, who should be accordingly armed. And so on.
I know enough about utility powers like Divination, but it's more useful outside combat than in it.
>>
>>51471838
Right, and pushing helps even more with Molten Beam than with Terrify. I'm not even sure what you're still trying to argue here, but it's not holding any water whatever it is.

>it's more useful outside combat than in it
Such a blanket statement just shows you don't truly understand how to use a proper Psyker. I mean there are -some- combats a Psyker is ineffective in, but it totally depends on a bunch of variables.

You also don't factor in anything beyond hit/cast chance. I mean sure, you're casting Molten Beam at a 70% chance say, 50% if you push like I said in that example. But you're able to purely -have- Molten Beam when the gunner still has an autogun, and pushing for 2 + Warp Conduit means you're getting 1D10 + some insane amount, at some insane penetration. You can push Molten Beam above and beyond what a meltagun can even do, and that's without having to actually -find- a meltagun.

I'm not going to ramble on with you any longer, you just keep moving goalposts and arguing random shit. My points are, Psykers are handy as fuck and pushing is a useful tool if you have the talents and know when to use it.
>>
>>51471948
>blah-blah
You realize I didn't argue the usefulness of pushing? I'm in for it actually. Especially with potential for massive damage it's honestly worthy to even call in some perils sometimes. Or for fun.
>it totally depends on a bunch of variables
Yep and that's why sometimes mindbullets do the thing. Sometimes debuffs do.
We're basically talking about the same thing, you just didn't get it yet.
>>
>>51471993
So if you're not >>51416929 and if you agree with me, then why did you jump into this conversation?
>>
>>51459818
I'd say he'd be around 30 - 40 years old, so I could drop lexographer and xenosavant.

Definitely radical, hence the open use of Xeno weaponry.
>>
What are the language barriers like in 40k RPG?

Dawn of War has every race speaking 'Low Gothic' to each other, and even in the lore some humans regularly interact with Kroot, Tau and Eldar for trade. I'd also assume that Gue'vesa have no huge problems fitting into Tau society trying to learn an entire language.

How easy would Ordo Xenos Acolytes be able to interact with aliens?
>>
>>51472133
Pretty easily, it is common that Eldar and Tau speak Low Gothic as you said, and for some reason Orcs seem to speak it too as a base language. The setting in general seems to play pretty fast-and-loose with languages.
>>
>>51472028
Because I felt like it?
>>
>>51472133
Dawn of War is hardly can be considered canon in this matter. Low Gothic there is for our understanding.
Races such as Eldar and Tau can learn to speak Low Gothic and Humans can learn Tau and Eldarspeak, tho Eldar would sound exactly like Orkish Low Gothic to Humans.
But obviously, not every alien is able to speak xenolanguages. This includes eldar, tau and even stryxis.
And there always be language barries betweer races even with known skill.
Heck, even we humans have fucking subtle or local dialects and jestures that might get you a punch in the face or a two.
>>
One of the random things that a requisition test in Only War can get is a box with the Inquisitorial Seal. What if there was a rosette in there? What are some other things that could be in there?
Thread posts: 364
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.