[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 35

Last thread:
>>51163956

Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Game night cancelled due to sick kids, but it could be much worse. Let's hear your biggest horror stories /bgg/. Foul smelling neckbeards, awful games, alpha gamers who had horrible strategies/didn't know the rules, poor losers, shitheads who broke up your group; who's got the worst story out there?
>>
No one's got an awful story? Really? Fine; last week teaching Istanbul to a teenager, prolly 15/16. About halfway through, he pulls out a bag of snacks, starts snarfing away on some homemade crackers dusted with ranch or something. Being the prepared guy I am, I've got a pack of hand wipes, so that if anyone's got food they don't have to get crumbs or dust or oil all over the game pieces, it's sitting 2" away from the board, and in full view, he's seen me and one of the other games use them before our turns, and when it comes around to him again does he grab one to clean up? Nope, lil shit stops eating, licks his palm and then sucks all the crap off each individual finger before picking up his pieces, moving them around the board and going right back to his snacking. When his mother came by to collect him she got a full report on teaching her child some manners.
>>
I've moved house and I'm too far away from my old group to meet regularly

How do I meet new people into the same hobby ;_;
>>
>>51211527
One of the resident tripfags keeps telling people to look for fencing clubs if they can't find boardgame meetups, but that seems pretty anecdotal.
>>
>>51211644
I really want to get back to playing games with people that aren't my wife
Rebellion just arrived today as well..
>>
>>51202189
I was thinking about this yesterday while I was learning the rules for Lords of Vegas (which definitely fits the criteria for a Monopoly replacement) and I believe it's something that definitely should go in the FAQ. what games would should be listed as being replaced though? off the top of my head, I can think of:

Monopoly
Risk
Yahtzee
Game of Life
Chess
Catan
Munchkin
Descent
Ticket to Ride
Talisman
MTG/Yugioh/Pokemon
Cards Against Humanity

I guess we should try to stick to no more than three suggestions per game to not overwhelm newcomers too much and provide BGG links to each game
>>
>>51211527
same issue
>>
>>51211976
I don't think Chess, Descent or MTG have been replaced. I think there are better games, but I'll still sit down and play Chess and Descent, and MTG seems to be progressing nicely, although I no longer play. Also, I think a couple of those games are not only replaced, but were never good in the first place. Namely, Monopoly, Munchkin, Talisman, and CAH.
>>
>>51211976
Don't think about replacing them. There is nothing that can replace Monopoly because it doesn't scratch any itch that a human being has. Just pick out other decent board games that can be grasped with fairly little explanation and then go from there.
>>
>>51211976
Descent and Ticket to Ride usually fall under "should I get X" questions really.

>>51212651
Lords of Vegas has gambling, wads of paper, and the excitement when someone lands on a space you own that has a hotel built, so it's a pretty fitting replacement.
>>
>>51211976
>Descent
>replaced
With what, exactly? Serious question.
also making own ruleset for Descent and want shit to steal inspiration from
>>
>>51209534
Do you know what you could have done differently as the invader to have made it more competitive?
>>
>>51210698
Last meetup, I got awkwardly chatted up and then felt up by another gamer there, despite not showing interest.
I was saved by the bell, conveniently, but I have absolutely no idea how to talk to this person ever again. I mean, he's part of the group. Everyone knows him. I dunno. Probably just going to have to go full honesty and make him feel really awkward.

It's more of an incredibly weird story than necessarily awful, but it's probably still the "worst". I actually have all around pleasant experiences gaming.
>>
>>51215062
It's shit like this why our hobby doesn't grow
>>
>>51215062
Yeesh, I wanted horror stories but I forgot about the rapey type grognards. I generally would say talk to the person involved, but in this case go to whoever runs/hosts the meetup, and if it's at a LGS talk to the owner. If it was just talk, I'd say ask someone to pull him aside and have a come to Jesus meeting with him, once it's gotten physical he's gotta go.
>>
File: IMG_5615.jpg (89KB, 438x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5615.jpg
89KB, 438x576px
A good replacement for monopoly that me and my buds play is Aquire.

Honestly most games off the 3M bookshelf collection are fucking great, especially breakthru or twixt.
>>
>>51211976
>Descent needs to be replaced
What?
While it has its problems, and some other games do a couple of things better, no game does Descent (as a whole) better.
>>
>>51211976
>Monopoly
Acquire, Stockpile, Chinatown.
>Risk
Risk modern isn't too bad actually. However, any number of other games work great in it's place. I personally have Scythe, I hear Kemet is really good, and I love Blood Rage but not sure I would put it under the same genre.
>Yahtzee
Bang the Dice Game
>Game of Life
Racing game where you're attempting to manage how much you accomplish along the way? I hear Tokaido is good for that but never played it myself. Best I got though.
>Chess
Doesn't need replacing. Lots of good abstracts out there though. Onitama is my personal favorite.
>Catan
Does it need replacing? I haven't played it myself. I hear it's a game where you can add expansions to make it whatever you want at this point.
>Munchkin
I hear they're making some CCG that makes a real game outta this concept. I dunno what to say as far as replacing it because the problem with it is that it's not really much of a game to begin with.
>Descent
Most definitely does not need replacing. You can find other games to suit what it is you're looking for in a dungeon crawl, but don't need much else.
>Ticket to Ride
Again, doesn't need a replacement. Maybe a next level game, but nothing to take its place.
>Talisman
Never played.
>MTG/Yugioh/Pokemon
I personally love Millennium Blades just for parodying it, but honestly MtG is the only answer.
>Cards Against Humanity
Doing anything else.
>>
>>51216401
Let me add in that a good replacement for Yahtzee is King of Tokyo / New York.
>>
File: More like Fuckedistan.jpg (78KB, 960x539px) Image search: [Google]
More like Fuckedistan.jpg
78KB, 960x539px
I played a game of Labyrinth yesterday, damn good game.

I was the US, and I was having an incredibly easy time; I dumped a shitload of troops into Afghanistan, and gained enough prestige that stabilizing the region was really easy; then I claimed there were WMDs in Iraq, and sent in the troops to deal with the single cell in there.

Meanwhile Pakistan went to shit and had an Islamic revolution, giving the Jihadist three nukes. His funding was really low however, which basically meant took the gamble and just FREEDUM'd my way into Pakistant.

Then the Jihadists planned a terrorist attack to surpass nine-eleven

4 terror plots at once, three in Pakistan, and 1 in Indonesia. I use my resources to remove one, and decide the other three were beyond salvaging.

They were all WMDs. The Jihadists blew up Pakistan twice, and Indonesia once. Needless to say, the fact that I was unable to stop a terrorist WMD plot in a country where a third of the US armed forces were positioned, meant people weren't too happy with me (e.g., prestige went from 12 (max) to 1), and funding for the terrorist cause went through the roof.

The rest of the game was basically cat and mouse, where the Jihadist tried to spread its reach, and I tried to desperately keep them down with guns, which eventually led to my narrow victory
>>
>>51211976
descent is a great game and I fucking miss it
>had every expansion
>easily over $1000 in that one game
>car got broken into and it all stolen
Serves me right for not having it insured, but still it hurts.

As for replacement, Imperial assault does sorta the same feel, but nowhere near as the flexibility nor enjoyable as Descent with the expansions.
>>
>>51211976 here, thanks for the discussion anons

>>51212837
>>51215713
I do see people shitting on Descent here occasionally but I don't really play dungeon crawlers so my opinion is very limited. I'm just throwing out names and seeing what sticks, I'm happy to write off Descent (and Ticket to Ride) from my list

>>51212834
fair point, and I believe it should be another section listed in the FAQ as more often than not someone will ask a question and someone will post an infograph image, maybe a good idea is to compile the various infographs I see posted into something nice and coherent? there was someone a few months ago that was making a serious effort with making detailed infographic images, but they appear to have disappeared

>>51212339
I play a fair bit of competitive MTG (I've been progressively playing board games more often) and there's definitely a push towards creatures and away from other spells, much to my dissatisfaction as I feel it decreases the decision making. I love Force of Will as a replacement for MTG but I can see the weeb aesthetic being a turnoff, other people generally tend to recommend Netrunner

as for Munchkin, I would recommend Cutthroat Caverns

>>51212651
I'm of the opinion that broad strokes that evoke a similar (but obviously better) experience can work well, they don't need to be 1:1 replacements but more in the vein of what >>51216401 mentioned, with CAH I'd mention party games in general like Codenames

>>51216401
>>51216429
good suggestions, I wouldn't list Scythe as a replacement for Risk and would lean towards Kemet and Quartermaster General myself. personally I'd pick Lords of Vegas over Chinatown for Monopoly but that's only because I haven't personally played Chinatown
>>
>>51216977

Codenames is fantastic, would highly recommend it as a superior alternative to CAH.

I find that Agricola evokes flashbacks to Settlers of Catan, what with all the little wooden farm animals and potential for brutally cutthroat tactics.

I've only ever played it once, but Roll for the Galaxy struck me as an objectively vertical upgrade to Yahtzee and Liar's Dice, adding a bit more strategy to dampen some of the RNG.

Monopoly just shouldn't be on the list, it's a crap game and practically nobody plays by the actual rules because it's so crap.
>>
>Monopoly
Not really sure anyone actually enjoys monopoly so maybe splendor or monopoly deal for money hijinks.
>Risk
Shogun, COIN series, kemet
>Yahtzee
Liars dice, eldar sign, king of tokyo
>Game of Life
Never had the misfortune of playing this
>Chess
Chess is fine and doesn't need to be replaced. Hive, go and the GIPF games are other abstracts however
>Catan
There's still nothing that really directly replaces Catan.
>Munchkin
Mage knight? Tiny epic quest looks like it could
>Descent
Imperial assualt, arkham horror
>Ticket to Ride
Doesn't really need to be replaced. It does it's job as a gateway game
>Talisman
heroquest? I dunno
>MTG/Yugioh/Pokemon
Netrunner, seasons, theres nothing that really directly replaces these
>Cards Against Humanity
Joking hazard
>>
>>51216977
Chinatown has one very distinct thing to me: creative deal making. That's a thing this game does that people who play monopoly wish it did based on the amount of people who house rule illegal deals. I don't doubt there's probably better replacements all around but I had to mention is for that reason. It mechanically does what people wish monopoly did.
>>
>>51211121
Wow, you told on him to his mommy anon? Badass.

Next time try helpfully instructing the child to use the hand wipes instead of being a passive aggressive autist.
>>
>>51211976
>Catan
Concordia. Removes luck elements and creates great depth through simple rules.
>Munchkin
Jesus fucking Christ, anything, just throw that fucking game in the fire.
>Game of Life
Tales of the Arabian Nights
>Yahtzee
If you like rolling dice and trying to get particular combinations, you need to check out King's Forge, which also includes a worker placement mechanic.
>>
>>51217707
>passive aggressive autist
Nice meme
>>
I've not played Cosmic Encounter yet, but from some video playthroughs I've seen, the ending seems very similar to Munchkin games, where either it's 1 vs All or team vs team, then players putting + or - bonuses on either side and seeing who has the highest total. Am I missing something here?
>>
>>51211527
I know this is kind of obvious but check out facebook or craigslist and look for people. Probably hang out in cafés first
>>
>>51216977
>I do see people shitting on Descent here occasionally
Less shitting on and more warning people what to expect really. And yeah, compiling the various infographics in one place would be very handy, assuming people bother checking the OP.
>>
>>51217971
Usually at the end everyone are close to winning, most games I played ended up with at least 2 people on 4 points.
You can choose to not invite anyone, the game has a tons of replayability because of the different alien powers.

Sometimes you find yourself playing super aggressive, while other times its all about the defensive plays.
>>
File: component drop.jpg (350KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
component drop.jpg
350KB, 1280x720px
Why does he do it? Is it autism?
>>
>>51218474

Because he enjoys it and knows it upsets people like us. Actually the reason. Personally I think it's a waste of time that adds nothing to the review.
>>
>>51218474
He likes making people angry because most games mean nothing to him and he'll play them maybe once.

It makes me angry that's for sure. Probably some primal urge.
>>
>>51217424
>joking hazard
That game doesn't look to be any better than cah
>>
>>51219076
It may be shit, but at least it's less random shit, since you get to pick, match and arrange the panels.
Filling in randomly drawn blank space cards with randomly drawn, progressively larger black cock cards gets stale quickly.
>>
With chess a good abstract that could replace is pic related, quite a lot of fun and includes a 4 player variant.

Also I know no ones mentioned it but a really fucking fun replacement for dominos is Chekit from 1985.
>>
File: IMG_5616.jpg (35KB, 340x270px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5616.jpg
35KB, 340x270px
>>51219598
I say pic related and then forget the pic, my bad.
>>
>>51211976
To be fair to Hasbro, they have made versions of Monopoly and Risk that aren't complete dogshit.

>Monopoly
Monopoly Deal
Tropical Tycoon
Star Wars Monopoly (2015)

>Risk
Literally any new version from Risk 2210AD onwards (Legacy is best)
Star Wars Risk (2015)

As for the rest:

>Yahtzee
Bang!: The Dice Game
>Catan
Machi Koro Deluxe Edition
>Munchkin
Guillotine
Ninja Burger: Secret Ninja Death Touch Edition
>Talisman
Tales of The Arabian Nights (for the "go places, random shit happens" itch)
>MTG/Yugioh/Pokemon
Android: Netrunner
>Cards Against Humanity
Funemployed
Actual drinking games
>>
>Monopoly
Lords of vegas.
>Risk
Spheres of Influence.
>Yahtzee
Like the multiplayer solitaire aspect? Castles of Burgundy.
Want more action? Liar's dice/Bang: the dice game/King of Tokyo.
>Game of Life
Try Pursuit of Happiness if you really like the theme.
>Chess
Shogi maybe.
>Catan
Terra mystica if you hate the negotiation aspect.
Archipelago if you love the negotiation aspect.
>Munchkin
Cutthroat Caverns.
>Descent
Conan.
>Ticket to Ride
Splendor if you like the set collection aspect but hate the map.
Airlines europe if you like the Pennsylvania map.
Like the theme? Try Railways of the World and continue down the rabbit hole from there.
Want pure route connection? Try Hansa Teutonica.
>Talisman
Runebound.
>MTG/Yugioh/Pokemon
Magic fan? Codex
Otherwise, Android: Netrunner
>Cards Against Humanity
Funemployed or Snake oil.
>>
What's your favorite game /bgg/?
>>
>>51217707
I could've done that, but not in the era of snowflakes and helicopter parents. I run a group with the wife at our church, open to the public; last time I instructed a child (please don't throw the X-wing models in the air when you've killed them, they could break) he didn't respond but his parent 10 ft away asked why I was telling her boy what to do and not coming to her with problems. That kid was 12, and spent the rest of the day pelting his buddy with dice until he hit a 5yr old. Children today are fucking monsters, and their parents are generally the problem.
>>
File: room-25[1].jpg (142KB, 500x655px) Image search: [Google]
room-25[1].jpg
142KB, 500x655px
Anyone here played Room-25?

Played it on one of those board game festivals and it is a hit with my friends. It's basically the movie Cube with randomly assigned tiles containing safe zones, special places and deadly traps. Has lots of game modes including the Battlestar Galactica-style beware-the-traitor mode.
>>
>>51220455
Twixt, or Kensington.
>>
File: pudelko_3d_hex_ed2_v2[1].jpg (2MB, 1881x2191px) Image search: [Google]
pudelko_3d_hex_ed2_v2[1].jpg
2MB, 1881x2191px
>>51220455
This thing, though I'm kinda new to this. Still, compact 1v1 battle games like this are my jam; wish I knew one that was WW2 themed.
>>
>>51220582
>throw the X-wing models in the air
Please bring less heart attack inducing games (for the owner) for them to play, like that Chewbacca toy or the mouth game thingy.
>>
File: marco polo.png (136KB, 212x300px) Image search: [Google]
marco polo.png
136KB, 212x300px
>>51220455
>>
>>51220697
Yeah it was rough, was starting a mostly teen group out on HotAC, figured since they were older it'd be safe. Luckily when we get shithead kids showing up they're usually only around once or twice, the regulars by now all know how to act in public and handle other's possessions.
>>
>>51211976
gonna try to add some games that get less love in /bgg/ threads

>Monopoly
Zooloretto - easy to teach, set collection, build and improve your property, reasonably deep, appealing family theme, nowhere near as toxic.
Low negotiation and no dice rolling though, if that's Monopoly's appeal for a player.
In that case Chinatown and Lords of Vegas work, but the theme is meh for me.

>Risk
Rattus is a nice area control game with role selection, recently got reprinted too. Kind of euro-y with some randomness and low combat, but the player interaction is pretty decent.

>Yahtzee
Elder Sign if you like the mythos thing and don't mind coops.

>Game of Life
CV integrates dice rolling and life choices in a much better package.

>Chess
No need to replace chess really, it has won its place. I'd add The Duke to the chesslike roster, I enjoy the variability.

>Talisman
Never played this, so I wouldn't know what to reccommend here.

>MTG/Yugioh/Pokemon
Any card game that's not collectible wallet draining bullshit with rarity tiers and massive power creep.
Mage Wars Academy fits the theme of spellbook-wielding dueling mages better than M:tG itself imho.

>Cards Against Humanity
Say Anything. Because you can literally say anything. You can be /pol/ or /b/ tier if you want without it being a feature of the game, and you can be funny all the time because you get no useless card combos.
>>
>>51211121
Lol sorry dude. At his age, his mom has probably given up all semblance of teaching values, virtues, and manners to her son. She may just stop taking him there out of embarrassment so you either made him stop coming to game nights or you made him bring his other shitty friend who has a car
>>
>>51218118
>Craigslist
Absolutely disgusting
>>
>>51217971
It does have that "Everyone stop him!” ending, but it's not too bad. For one, you have a possibility to win as a group, so you see alliances formed for more than just fucking someone over. Then you have the potential to backstab in a lot of ways. It adds politics to Munchkin and more than just random card draw, so it ends up a much more interesting game.
>>
>>51221176
>easy way to find people with similar interests
>filter so it shows people nearest to you
>get your dick sucked while playing board games
>>
>>51221245
Except there aren't any actual game groups on there, just people who want to rob and murder you
>>
>>51220685
A kickstarter ran a while back for Final Act, a near-abstract 1v1 ww2 tank sirmish game that seemed pretty cool.

http://www.tytogames.com/final-act-tanks-strategy-board-game.html
>>
>>51221293
>>51221176

I don't really have craigslist in my country but I recommended something that I know was popular. I had luck with gumtree (which is a craigslist clone) so thought craigslist would be Ok
>>
>>51219205

Cards Against Humanity is only as unfunny as the people you play it with, please accept my condolences if your playgroup votes for any answer containing "Two midgets shitting into a bucket" on that basis alone because 'lolsorandumbXDDDD', but that's really their fault and not the game's. Add all the expansions for variety, don't play with people that auto vote for specific answers and try to be creative with your answer. The game is fine.
>>
I just got kingdom death monster. What can I expect?
>>
>>51222295
>tfw every group I play with devolves into using custom injoke cards
>>
>>51222295
And there's the paradox. If they're funny enough to not make CAH retarded, they're funny enough not to need it.
>>
File: collection.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
collection.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Collection wagglan, anyone?
>>
>>51222295
My group devolved into meta strats figuring out what cards work with each person and saving your cards when the points stack due to the "robot" mechanic.
>>
>>51222449

>actually trying to win at CAH

That's just missing the point entirely. Why.
>>
File: Collection.jpg (1MB, 2160x2301px) Image search: [Google]
Collection.jpg
1MB, 2160x2301px
>>51222295
>Add all the expansions
>pissing money away on pure trash

Nope.
>>
>>51222525
I see a lot of The Works games. Fellow Brit?
>>
>>51222479
It's always in good fun, we played so much of it that we got slightly competive just from breaking the game down a bit.
>>
>>51222399
>tiny blurry pics
>no titles

przestań
>>
>>51222833
Largest I can make it on my screen.

Sam przestań
>>
>>51222856
Well you can at least cut the blurry.

Warszawa/okolice?
>>
>>51222879
I could but I can't be bothered.

Kalifornia
>>
>>51222879
Zapomniałeśdodać "no homo", Mariusz
>>
>>51222925
Aww.
>>51222979
Who's Mariusz, some thread memedude? No homo? Are you some kind of faggot?
>>
>>51222979
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Beda3kFNjo
>>
How do I find a group of gamers who play more than just party and co-op
>>
>>51223130
meetup or bgg
>>
>>51215401
I found a copy of Feudal for 20 bucks. A little pricey for a beat up old game, but it's pretty fun.
>>
Looking For A Way To Create A Template For Cardboard Box Covers

i want to make a file for a design program where i can adjust the length of this template. to make it fit.

http://www.analoggames.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/board_game_box_tutorial_analog_games_card_how_to_03.jpg

i make my own cardboard boxes for games and would like an easy way to add art with the correct size to it.

so i can just enter new numbers in the different lines of this template. so it just sets to the new size.

http://www.analoggames.com/story/how-to-make-a-classic-board-game-box/
>>
>>51223084
I know I'm getting baited, but I can't help but feel petty rage when Fortunate Son is mistitled, either accidentally or on purpose.
>>
>>51223943
Hey, if you wanna get mad at someone, I like TI3
>>
File: pic3002143[1].png (3MB, 1434x1213px) Image search: [Google]
pic3002143[1].png
3MB, 1434x1213px
Just finished my fourth and fifth game of Seafall. I actually seem to like this game more than most reviewers do. Like I like the passive narrative it gives, the gameplay is pretty good though wouldn't hold up without the legacy aspect, and you change a lot as you go. That all being said, I'm starting to hit a roadblock. We have one key milestone to get, someone has to put themselves in a disadvantagous position to do this milestone (The one who does this will not get the milestone), and we're not getting any more milestones until we do this. 2 players are not motivated to overcome this problem because they will keep winning without milestones and 2 of us are in a stand still wanting to not be the one to waste our whole game. In a way I like the legacy aspect being more free form and come up as you do stuff, but on the other hand you just come up with a situation like this and it drives me mad. There's no card that says "Open this by the 7th game" or something so we're just stuck here with the raid and explore guy being unable to do anything until we decide who gets screwed.
>>
>>51222563
Of course.
>>
File: 1480957625881.jpg (549KB, 1230x1007px) Image search: [Google]
1480957625881.jpg
549KB, 1230x1007px
Tfw bf finally arrives in england soon and Ill be able to force him to play seasons with me and my dad
>>
>>51226437
How's seasons anyways
>>
>>51226437
>tfw I noticed the face on the hood
>>
>>51226955
Only played it for the first time this weekend after having it since christmas and it's quickly becoming my favourite game.

I guess you could compare it to a TCG like magic but not really. You're compeating for a points high score and once you get your basics down you'll be looking for ways to set up big crazy combos (I set up one today while playing against my dad that was about bouncing the same card back to my hand a couple of times and playing it over and over, getting extra bonuses from the cards I already had in play)

On top of that there's the whole system where the months pass and seasons change which affect a whole stockmarket/economy with how much you can transmuste/sell your mana into points and then the game culminates after 3 years with a big scoring session of the cards you've played ala carcassonne.

tl;dr: wizards spend three years in a forest obataining mana so they can equip magical bling and summon cute pets and get more points than the other wizards

>>51227012
Its a hamster face :3c
>>
help me get the right gifts. the people im gifting are not full fledged table top nerds but i've been getting them into it. so far they are rather fond of biblios, dixit, and deception murder in hong kong

any suggestions?
>>
>>51227152
How many players?
>>
>>51227192
well heres the thing, they're brothers so i mean getting a 2 player game would be alright, but they often have a ton of friends coming in and out so number of players is variable....

i was thinking bout sushi go party because its drafting like biblios, seems like its got legs, and it goes up to 8 players.

anyways enough rambling lol; number of players i'd say the more flexibility the better, not aiming for any particular number. preferably something that can handle a decent group
>>
>>51227432
Carcassonne can go from 2-5 players without feeling like it's lost something. Splendor is the same but is 2-4 players.

Alternativley One night ultimate werewolf ore the resistance work really well for higher player counts.

If you're unsure I'd go for carcassonne, erryone loves building french countrysides
>>
>>51227501
thanks for the suggestions :) Splendor totally slipped my mind but that seems right up their alley!
>>
>>51227432
Codenames is another possibility that can support a large amount of players
>>
Friend of a friend was invited to join us for a big six player game of the Game of Thrones bg. Everything went well at first until the second half, then he started getting super intense about the game. He was probably one turn from winning when his biggest force on the board got steamrolled into submission. Dude raged and stood up from the table without being careful, ended up knocking pieces all over the place and stormed out without helping clean up the mess he made. Never played tabletop with him after that.

Within a year, my (now) ex let her dog rip apart my copy of the game. Haven't had the heart to buy a new copy.
>>
>>51230172
Why not make the bitch buy you one?
>>
Anyone here has any take on Abyss? It looks really fun and simple to get people into. Art looks amazing. I'm considering buying it.
>>
>>51230529
I've got bigger problems than a destroyed board game, like how she's trying to claim I'm her kid's dad when she found out she was a month pregnant four months after the last time we did anything.
>>
>>51231037
Oh man, that's so low! Insist on paternity tests, you don't want to get leeched so fucking hard.
>>
>>51222525
How is Spirits of the Rice Paddy? I'm curious about that one.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (132KB, 1217x913px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
132KB, 1217x913px
To the anon asking about if you could fit LCG in the jewelry trays, here's a pic with some malifaux playing cards for reference. Your cards, provided they're standard cards, would fit perfectly if you stored them vertically. You should have just enough space to put 4 poster board dividers and everything fit perfectly.

Pic is two 2" trays stacked on top of each other, one with the bottom cut out. Skip this option, and just get 4" trays from gems on display.
>>
>>51230172
Buy Rex instead, consider it an excuse to upgrade to a better game in the same vein.

Also plan revenge, because obviously.
>>
hey all

I'm considering buying captain sonar and i was wondering what others opinions on it are.

In particular im curious if it would work well with non-gamers. I figure the obvious caveat is that its best with a full table of 8, which might be hard to gather. anyways the point is that im confident i can get 8 but most of the players won't be serious gamers... and thats where my main concern comes in, as stated above, just wanna make sure its not super complicated.

bonus points for telling me anything else about the game; what to expect, how do you like it, whats your favorite role and why....

thanks in advance!
>>
>>51232117
It'll work, but you'll probably need to feed them a turn based game before you turn them loose in real time.

Great game though, I've run it with everything from my regular game group to my LAN party group to boy and girl scouts as young as eight or nine. Sonar officer almost certainly has the coolest job unless you're a hot enough captain to really keep on top of what the rest of your crew is doing and intelligently game the other side at the same time.
>>
>>51232066
Neat, dividers will help keep them upright I bet. Do you put the tray as a whole inside something? Any pictures of an unmodified tray?
>>
Hey, bgg. I need you honest opinion on Mission Red Planet, Runeage, Summoner Wars.
>>
>>51232775
Mission red planet is pretty good. The random elements can be a little rough, but it has enough mitigation that it isn't a problem. Shorter than it looks, which is nice. Fairly euro, but with enough direct interaction that I don't hate it, but I'd still rather play kemet on any given day.

Haven't played rune age.

Summoner Wars is a lot of cool ideas completely undermined by RNG combat resolution with nowhere near the needed mitigation tools or volume of rolls for normalization. Regrettably cannot recommend, but maybe salvageable with houserules.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (88KB, 709x945px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
88KB, 709x945px
>>51232775

I'm always trying to find the best way to store and transport my miniature wargames, and I was always dissatisfied with foam, it was just too space inefficient. But it was better than magnets because storing stuff in a tool box is fugly. Well, found out they sell jewelry trays you can line the bottoms with sheet metal, and so on and so forth, works great. It then hit me that this set up might have board game/CCG applications. Plan to make a guide once I'm satisfied with the process of getting something like this set up. One anon asked if he could store LCG's in something like this, thus that pic I posted earlier showing that would work.

Looks like the cheapest route is to buy several 1" deep trays and cut out the bottoms, stack and epoxy them together to make a 4 inch tray. However you're only saving like 2 bucks, so probably not worth the labor costs.

I went with a sturdy XL aluminum case because metal models and tokens and all that stuff, but it's like 85 bucks. Holds 24 1" trays, weighs about 30lb. You can get a nylon or whatever bag for like 20 bucks that holds 12 1" trays, or 3 4" trays, and that would hold a ton of cards. I have 2 such bags in the mail, will get here later in the week and I'll report my findings.

Pick is various trays, their uses, and case
>>
>>51232869

Bah, meant for >>51232721
>>
>>51232862
Man, Kemet is such an overrated trash.
>>
>>51232112
seconding this, you can also get Rex on BookDepo for a fairly cheap price.
>>
>>51232869
>You can get a nylon or whatever bag for like 20 bucks that holds 12 1" trays, or 3 4" trays, and that would hold a ton of cards. I have 2 such bags in the mail, will get here later in the week and I'll report my findings.
Please do, since I haven't a clue what such a nylon bag looks like, I assume you'd atleast be able cover it the way an aluminum case does? If not maybe a sturdy briefcase will be viable too. Was the LCG guy by the way.
>>
>>51217043

Roll for the Galaxy is the new hotness dominating our game nights. I don't think I'll ever get tired of it simply because it has the right mix of randomness and strategy.

The other game we're playing is Risk: Legacy, which may give me cancer.
>>
>>51233263
???
>>
>>51234451
>The other game we're playing is Risk: Legacy, which may give me cancer.
That seal says "do not open" and it fucking means it.
>>
Snake Oil vs Funemployed... erm i mean, hypothetically of course... not to suggest anything... haha... asking for a friend...
>>
hi guys, time to help the noob again, i am looking to get into strategic/tactical boardgames, for now i am considering a lot of games. Scythe, runewars, kemet shogun and blood rage.Does anyone have other suggestions? I am a miniatures wargamer so games with miniatures are a plus, i need the game i get to be playable for up to 5 players, eventhough i will most often play it with 3 4 people.Also i would appreciate a medieval setting.(also if you have any input on these games i will be very interested, i only saw a couple of iterviews on Boardgame geek)
>>
>>51231955
Unfortunately fairly average. Since there's limited options you can do and they all play in exactly the same sequence, every game feels much the same. The best you could say about it is it's good for a relaxing play every once in a while.
>>
>>51234836
Funemployed is the better of the two particularly for adult gamers. I own both. Snake-oil is better geared for younger gamers / kids.
>>
>>51234572
It's just some tard attempting (and failing) to troll STEEV over Kemet.

>>51235240
Thanks. There was a lot of buzz about this game initially and then it just fell off the radar. Being simply 'OK' would explain why in vanished again so quickly.
>>
>>51236900
Nothing wrong with being OK, a lot of the games I'm fond of are just OK.
Some people think "oh, here's so many great game sout there, my time's better spent playing great games only" but if the artwork or the theme or the concept or whatever just tickle your fancy for any reason, then why the hell not?

I'd only object to being forced to play shit you know you don't like playing.
>>
Is Epic Card Game good for casual players? It's so cheap that I'm tempted to impulse buy it.
>>
File: 1467932340762.jpg (899KB, 1680x2052px) Image search: [Google]
1467932340762.jpg
899KB, 1680x2052px
What do you guys think of Tabletop Simulator on Steam? Does tg use it to play? Do you have any parties where I could join?
>>
>>51237530
same. looking for eu players.
>>
>>51211527
Board game stores. Other than that, local facebook groups might be able to do something for you.
>>
>>51237168
Do it, it's MTG on crack for cheap in a tiny little box, totally worth.
>>
>>51237530
Eh. Its ok but it's just a physics simulator you can play boardgames with. It removes why I play boardgames.

I like the tactility and the socialisation. TS and other online games dont offer these
>>
>>51239512
still, you can get a feel of how a game looks when it's set up
>>
>>51239777
I guess. I normally would just rather watch others play irl on a video. Gives a good idea if the game is clunky or not
>>
>>51218474
It's the opposite of autism-- that's the point
>>
>>51237530
It's good. I wouldn't take it over real boardgame night of course, but it's a good way to try a game before you buy it or for playing with people you normally would never get to play with.
>>
File: toot.png (144KB, 371x339px) Image search: [Google]
toot.png
144KB, 371x339px
Playing anything tonight /bgg/?

I'm playing me some hostage negotiator
>>
>War of the Ring restocked last Monday
>already sold out at CSI
Well I guess it's one more print run I don't have to torture myself over.

>>51244183
Testing out Mario Kart rules for X-wing with the wife, gonna see if it's worth putting together a mat for it and running at WYC. Fuckers keep emailing me asking to submit gm events because I ran one game of SDE last year.
>>
>>51244183
Just some Netrunner with the Mrs.
She thinks it's hilarious to try and distract me with cleavage.
>>
FINALLY got around to playing netrunner with a friend last night who showed me how. I've had my copy sitting on my shelf for ages. Weyland Vs Noise, I stuck with weyland and he stayed as noise.

Idk, not really the amazing experience everyone tells me the game is. It certainly felt deeper than traditional card games, and I liked how both sides did things differently, but nothing felt very satisfying. Maybe the game just isn't for me? Maybe I'd be better off with a different identity card. Idk.
>>
>>51244183
Played Death Angel solitaire this morning and won finally
>>
>>51244522
It's important not to let hype blow expectations out of proportion. Certainly the game is one of the best 1v1 constructed deck card games out there, and by far the most unique, but it's not like it's a half dozen orders of magnitude better than everything else, and certainly not for everyone.
>>
File: 1475536605982.jpg (85KB, 824x579px) Image search: [Google]
1475536605982.jpg
85KB, 824x579px
>>51244573
>Won the first time playing
>Have never even managed to leave the second room since
>>
>>51244581

Would you know how it stacks up against the warhammer IP LCG's? Not to say I hate the cyberpunk setting, because I really don't, in fact I love the art. But warhammer is warhammer.

Actually, how would you rank some the current LCG out there against each other? Also, you think it's worth it to get into a dead LCG? I think it would be neat to have some premade decks to use whenever, I just feel like I'd be shit at balancing them out.
>>
I'm getting Pandemic Legacy pretty soon. I want to be able to play through it with my sister and then again with my friends.

Aren't there stickers you have to put on the board? Is there some way to work around it or should I just buy two copies of the game?
>>
>>51244667
I'm biased as hell and haven't played nearly enough of most of them, but I'd say:
Netrunner>Doomtown>Conquest>Ashes>AgoT>>>>>Arkham>>>>>>LotR.
>>
>>51244746
Legacy means you make permanent changes to the board so yes
>>
>>51244183

Going to run some solo Mansions of Madness 2nd edition scenarios, I think.
>>
>>51244884
>Doomtown that high
yey.

>LoTR that low
why is this? also appliable to Arkham and Agot
>>
>>51244884

It's nice to hear conquest is at least not rock bottom. I've got that starter and some expansions sitting around, same state as netrunner but still unplayed. Loooove the artwork, really want to run an IG deck, but uh yeah.

Now, are you ranking arkham and Lotr on the bottom because coop nature? If memory serves me right you absolutely hated coop games, and if it's because of that I'll probably disregard that part of your opinion, but if the system is actually shit, I'd like to hear more.

I wish they made a coop LCG in a fresh setting. They had to go and choose the most worn out licenses out there.
>>
>>51245027
>I wish they made a coop LCG in a fresh setting.
Like in what setting?
>>
>>51244450
I always get this when playing with the girlfriend...
and it often works
>>
>>51245056

Fantasy ala swords and sorcery, post apoc, sci fi, I'd be interested in just about anything that's not some IP I've been hearing about for 10 years. Lotr isn't so terrible I guess, but I couldn't be more tired of cthulhu anything, especially when current cthulhu has nothing to do with the original message lovecraft was all about (no not racism, but how the measure of a man is what that person does in the face of absolute despair and darkness and all that).

Shit, I'd even take an LCG about zombies.
>>
Picked up Twilight Struggle, Betrayal on the House on the Hill, and the Eldritch X-pac Dreamlands.
Any rec on which to play first?
>>
>>51245236

Depends on how many players you have access to.

>Only 2

Twighlight

>More than 2, players are kind of thick

Eldritch

>More than 2, players are generally smart

Betrayal

Idk, all it takes is a potato becoming the betrayer to sour a betrayal experience. That's why I'm getting rid of my copy. It's not even the once sided scenarios, those don't bug me, it's just we always get the one idiot of the group to be in charge of setting things up the way they're supposed to be, only they screw it up and it essentially ruins the game.
>>
>>51245232
now you mentioned I would like to see a bit like modern fantasy? I mean kind of the same deal with SMT (or The Secret World). Demons,urban legends, creatures from all kind of tales and such.
>>
>>51245354

Feeeeeck yes, a hunter the reckoning LCG would give me a boner for eternity

>which will never happen, but yeah something like TSW would be bad ass too
>>
>>51245027
Totally ranking them low because of co-op, but I really do think they Arkham one is pretty good, just not my thing.

>>51245022
See above.
>>
>>51244600
I know the feeling anon
>>
>>51245354
>>51245447
There is the Dresden files co-op card game which got kick-started last year sometime. I didn't look too closely, maybe there's something decent there in the game, but the setting is super heavy on kitchen sink mythology.
>>
>>51245447
>>51245496
And that's why I liked so much Doomtown until AEG announced its death. I've never seen much focus on weird west and the way how the game handled everything from lore to story of the town and each folk on it got me hooked. I pray one day it might get picked up again and rise from the death.
>>
What are some good gateway games for my gf?
I currently have Bang and all expansions, Saboteur, the resistance coming to my game store, Hive and I'm waiting for sushi go party to be released.

She loves Bang and likes hive but she wouldn't ever think "Oh let's play Hive!", the others we haven't tried yet.

She says she likes the feel of anxiety in monopoly hoping that the dice roll brings her in a safe property or the opponent in one of hers.
>>
>>51245574
Do you think she'd enjoy the anxiety of wanting certain tiles instead? Carcassonne is and will forever be the ultimate gateway game in my eyes
>>
>>51245574
Tiny Epic Galaxy then? Roll for the Galaxy?
Bang Dice if she liked the regular Bang so much.
>>
How good are the Eldritch Horror expansions?
I found a guy selling the base game plus all 3 for about 40 more than the base price at my tabletop shop
>>
>>51247324
All three small expacs, or large ones?
Either way, it's a steal, and they're worth it.
It doesn't fall into the AH bloat problem.
>>
>>51247339
It comes with Signs of Carcosa, Strange Remnants, and Forsaken Lore. I'm hoping it's still there when I have enough money for it lol
>>
How good is the Delve campaign on the Descent companion app? I love roguelikes and dungeon crawlers so it seems like a great concept, especially since getting the people for Descent is nigh impossible in my situation.
>>
>>51247613
>Forsaken Lore
Jump on that shit now, Forsaken Lore is basically a balance patch and content pack for EH, it's almost necessary.
Signs of Carcosa is the difficulty expac, it's brutal.
Strange Remnants is meh.
>>
>>51245287
>betrayal
>smart players
Do you want his smart friends to hate him?
>>
>want to own a crikinole board after playing on a friends
>those prices
fuck me running
>>
>>51248885
Muzzies or Hilinski?
>>
>>51248885
I went in for the Mayfair one because they're close enough I can pick it up and skip the shipping charge, but if their quality doesnt hold up to the more expensive options I might offload it on here for cheap.
>>
>>51249218
either desu
i liked it but not enough to drop 200 on it
>>
File: home field advantage.jpg (145KB, 1024x675px) Image search: [Google]
home field advantage.jpg
145KB, 1024x675px
>>51249267
You didn't see all the warning of screws punching up through the playing surface?

>>51249270
Tried to justify it to the wife as not a game, but us investing in art, and it'll be a conversation piece you can hang on the wall; I was told that argument would work if I never pulled it off the wall and used it. Still, maybe one day I'll get the joy of owning a Hilinski board.
>>
>>51249645
>screws punching up through the playing surface
Link?
>>
>>51249781
BGG original post that isn't really clear on the story
>https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/630824/mayday-games-crokinole-review-rest-story/page/2

Leads to this guy's personal review website
>http://superflycircus.blogspot.com/2011/03/mayday-games-its-not-crokinole-its.html
>http://superflycircus.blogspot.com/2011/03/mayday-games-crokinole-review-rest-of.html

Note this was in 2011, so they might've cleaned up their act. I look at it like their sleeves, good price but I don't expect them all to be good, and they're quick to offer replacements, but still I'm limiting game purchases from them to Korean imports.
>>
>>51249930
Yeah, they've admitted that their old versions were crap and early reviews of the new version are much, much better. It's still not 100% hardwood, but for ~$100 I can't complain.
>>
>>51249645

Lot of dosh for what amounts to a parlor game. Why not just make your own? It looks incredibly simple to build.
>>
>>51249267
Take kerosene. Make them unpack it in front of you when you pick it up, and set their office on fire if it's not perfect.
They've done some shady as shit stuff in the past, and for that they should be treated with all kinds of suspicion.
If they've cleaned up their act, great, there's nothing wrong with doing business with them anymore - but don't leave with that board until you know.
>>
>>51249979
Well when you get it report back, always like to know if/when publishers get their shit together.

>>51250024
Building a good one would require a better workshop than I have access too, steadier hands (upside I think the shakes are improving my dry brushing technique), and more time than I've got because I know it'd take at least a few attempts to get it right. If I'm being honest I'll never get one, and it's not a big deal there's plenty of other great flicking games. I'm prolly never going to own any deluxe edition game, but that doesn't stop me from thinking they're awesome.
>>
>>51231779
Yeah man, I hear ya. I'm 22 years old and struggling to make ends meet, there's no way I'm paying for a kid that isn't mine.
>>
>>51232112
>>51233671
It's all good. I got my hands on a print-and-play copy of Dune, and my group loves it. Not as strong mechanically as GoT, but still a decent time-killer for us.
>>
Any suggestions for small box games? Preferably something roughly around the size of the Arboretum, Archaeology: the New Expedition or Cthulhu Realms boxes (I own all three). The less time I can put into bigger games, the more these kinds of games tend to see play thanks to their portability, so I've been thinking of getting more titles to mix things up.
>>
File: Casual Suggestions.png (3MB, 1878x1672px) Image search: [Google]
Casual Suggestions.png
3MB, 1878x1672px
>>51245574
You didn't hear this from me, but pic related... ;)
>>
>>51245604
I heard that carccassonne is the best gateway game but I feel like it's too complicated for one
>>51245607
Thanks, I'll look all of them up!
>>51251787
I'm interested in king of tokyo and maybe a light card game or a family weight game from that list, can you tip me one of those?
>>
>>51251578
Valley of the Kings is a great deckbuilder in a small box. Get VotK: Afterlife or Last Rites for solo mode rules.
>>
>>51252503
>Valley of the Kings is a great deckbuilder in a small box.
You gotta sell it better man.
Cards have to be entombed to be worth VP, removing them from play, so there's a conflict between their VP worth and their worth in acquiring more cards and manipulating the pyramid (draw pile, but you can only buy from the lowest tier and that makes upper cards slide down), you deck, and your opponents' decks, and the starting cards are actually very powerful (except the boxes of food, I have no idea what they're useful for) so you don't necessarily want to burn them all ASAP as in every other deck builder.
>>
>>51252503
>>51254091
It looks pretty interesting and does have a pretty small box. I especially like the historical tidbits on each card. I already have a deckbuilder though, but I'll keep it in mind and try to see if it's available somewhere.
>>
>>51255099
>I already have a deckbuilder though
It's obsolete, buy Valley if the Kings.
>>
>>51252181

Love letter is a very easy and simple microgame. Tons of retheme versions to choose from (adventure time, archer, LOTR, batman, etc)

Sushi Go Party is already released. I got mine on Amazon in December. It is the ultimate "gateway game" for girls if they like sushi even a little bit.

If she likes the Dice Roll fuckery, she might like Catan, another classic gateway game.
>>
>>51249930
I don't see Crokinole boards for sale on Mayday's website, just disks/carrying cases. The other poster also said he bought a MayFAIR board? is he mistaken?
>>
"Good" Simple games that introduce one mechanic really well? Looking to avoid stuff like Candy Land, LIFE, etc.

Drafting: Sushi Go
Worker Placement: Fabled Fruit
Bluffing: Liar's Dice, Coup
Tile Laying: Carcasonne, Karuba
Trading: Bohnanza, Pit

What else?
>>
>>51252181
>I'm interested in king of tokyo and maybe a light card game or a family weight game from that list, can you tip me one of those?

For a simple dice game King of Tokyo is 'OK'. It isn't full of lots of interesting choices, but it still has fun elements that make it worth consideration. Zombie dice (a simple dice rolling / press your luck game) could be a simple alternative as well.

As for card games - I'd agree with the other Anon that Sushi Go is a good choice, there is also Hanabi (Cooperative - not pictured), Jaipur, and 7 Wonders Duel which all have their virtues. And as for the 'Family Weight' games - I'd almost rather point you at 'Splendor' or Carcassonne rather than say 'Survive' (though that's on my 'to buy' list) or Smash Up. Small World can be fun, but it is a disguised light war game and may not be what you are looking for.
>>
>>51255581
Not mistaken. Look at Kick Starter.
>>
File: 1472495849419.jpg (51KB, 492x419px) Image search: [Google]
1472495849419.jpg
51KB, 492x419px
>be normie with a touch of autism
>friends are mostly just normies
>go to local board game cafe every week
>this week there is a guy with pretty obvious autism
>decides to join our group
>I initially try to get out of it, don't want my autism competing with his, especially while playing Castles of the Mad King
>reluctantly give in
>everything goes really well
>after the game, he shows me a wargame he made
>friends leave because the game is way too autismo-complicated
>end up having an autism bond with him about his wargame about anime girls and how the normies didn't appreciate its complexity
tfw don't even watch anime

Everything went alright
Anyone else play with/as a literal autist?
I hope he doesn't post here
>>
>>51256019

Yeah that's Seth Hiatt, owner of Mayday. Mayfair is a different company though, former publishers of Catan.
>>
>>51255465
>>51256009
Thanks, you guys have been very helpful!
I decided to settle for love letter and I'm currently checking out jaipur and hanabi.

Sadly Sushi Go party hasn't been released here yet, but it should come out soon.

Still have to check bang dice tho, I dont know if a game with the same theme will click.
>>
>>51256152
Am I mistaken about the mistake? Unpossible! (Thanks.)
>>
>>51256153
Let me drop my 2 cents as well.
I own King of Tokyo, very fun for both adults and young people as a gateway / light filler game.
Get the Power Up expansion because it makes a big difference.

If you are into Love Letters, try out Coup as well, costs close to nothing and is a great game.
>>
>>51255581
Well that's what I get for staying up way later than I should, yeah just a misread. Mayfair would likely be decent quality, though I don't see anything about crokinole on their website either, but that could just be their website being shitty to search.
>>
>>51256153
I'd like to second hanabai, it's a really cheap, simple, and more difficult than meets the eye. Everyone I've taught how to play has loved the game
>>
>>51256525
My bad, I said Mayfair instead of mayday (and it is mayday) right from the start, also going to blame sleep deprivation.
>>
Anyone know of some good quality PnP games?

I mean both gameplay wise and the print and play.

For example, I have Avalon and Capitan sonar which are both great games and I found some high res scans of Avalon already set up for printing and cutting.

Secret Hitler is a collection of the free PnP they give and some people pimping it up in PS and what not.

Anyone know of such gems?
>>
>>51257378
Did you use a laminator or something for Sonar? I love that game and completely forgot about pnp
>>
>>51257502
>>51257378
>Capitan Sonar
fml, I wanted to say Secret Hitler, Capitan Sonar is my next PnP project seeing as there is OK material to work with.

I work at a print shop so I got all types of paper and printers, and I can laminate and shit.
>>
>>51257719
Speaking of Capitan Sonar, anyone has the game and is willing to tell me if anything is double sided?
I tried watching some reviews to see how the game itself looks but I get nothing.
Also will I need to laminate everything? since everyone writes on the pieces? (all the roles)
>>
File: 1484657014585.gif (4KB, 452x523px) Image search: [Google]
1484657014585.gif
4KB, 452x523px
What is your take on (((((((((((((Legacy)))))))))))))))) games?
>>
>>51257851
Can't be bothered
>>
>>51257851
I don't like the idea of permanently modifying a board just to play
>>
What's the best way to purchase Gloomhaven if you missed out on KS and pre-orders? Amazon? Or am I fucked...
>>
>>51257851
Meme genre
Seafall proves this by being boring as fuck, legacy can work but it's a waste of money in my opinion and I'd rather just buy a well designed game rather than one where I go "BUT WHAT COULD HAPPEN WHEN WE OPEN THIS FILE?????"
>>
>>51257851
It's a fun concept and it's in vogue to hate on it for some reason despite there being like, two Legacy games.
>>
>>51257943
>Seafall proves this by being boring as fuck
Weren't the legacy aspects the only fun part about Seafall?
>>
>>51257963
Yes but it doesn't stop the game being shit. The point I'm making is it's a nice addition but I'd rather just have a well-designed game than an ok one with legacy on top.

Although! I'll admit Risk Legacy has probably the best risk system ever and I hope they put it into a standalone game.
>>
>>51257758
Shut Up and Sit Down has a video on YouTube that explains the game pretty clearly if you want to see all the parts.

Everything is already laminated and you use dry-erase markers you can just wipe off. There's a double side for a simpler, turn-based option.
>>
>>51257944
Risk Legacy
Pandemic Legacy
Seafall
Mech vs Minions (kind of)

Pandemic legacy 2 this year
Any I'm missing?
>>
>>51257851
S'fine if your into that kind of thing. I think slapping "Legacy" into everything is a bad idea overall though. One of the draws of boardgames to me is (usually) a fresh simple clean start once your done with a round.
>>
>>51257992
Uh disregard the second part, didn't see you were talking about pnp
>>
>>51257992
Saw the review, yea I noticed there is a 2nd side option but the PnP doesn't have it, just the real time.

That seems to be the better part so yeah, I ain't complaining.

I'll get to printing this sometimes this week, I have no Idea how I am going to make the huge divider, I have no problem printing it on one big piece of paper but how do you get it to stand up...
>>
>>51220455
Concordia
>>
What are some excellent 2 player games to play with my GF ?

I picked up race for the galaxy and gullotine . Was looking to buy more like patchwork and jaipur
>>
>>51257851
While I do like the concept of a board game with a campaign system that changes the course of the game (and potentially even the mechanics of the game) over time, I dislike the concept of purposely destroying game components or permanently altering them. Sure, you can keep using the final customized board / game when done, but you have zero ability to replay the same campaign to a different outcome at a later date short of buying a whole new copy of the game.
>>
>>51258540
See... >>51251787
>>
>>51257851
I think it's a tad silly that everyone is as up in arms about it. It's a board game with an expiration date but that's nothing new, that's essentially what a trivia board game is or apples to apples styled games with a bit more depth.

I personally don't buy into these games because of that reason, but given how there's a whole lot less of people giving a shit about those kind of games I think it's silly.
>>
>>51257851
unimpressed thus far
some games are not worth playing once, so being forced to play them 12 or however many times is not something I look forward to.
change the rules all you want, Pandemic is still an unenjoyable coop puzzle, Risk is still a protracted kingmaking RNG slugfest, Seafall is still dreck
>>
>>51257851
I like em. The amount of plays I get out of them doesn't match my favorite games ever but it's usually more plays than I give the average game. It makes replaying then more fun and generally you get better stories than outta a campaign.
>>
File: IMG_4027.png (994KB, 800x669px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4027.png
994KB, 800x669px
Thoughts ?
>>
>>51259398
It's a lot of fun. They went expansion pack crazy but that can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.
>>
Thinking about getting Pandemic Legacy. If you lose midway through the game, can you restart or are you just done for good?
>>
File: 81fLQA4mvwL._SL1477_.jpg (296KB, 1477x994px) Image search: [Google]
81fLQA4mvwL._SL1477_.jpg
296KB, 1477x994px
How do you want your map design senpai?
>>
Please give me all info / opinions you have about twilight imperium rex please
>>
File: IMG_4028.png (432KB, 600x394px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4028.png
432KB, 600x394px
Thoughts ?
>>
>>51259868
>nu doom art
>>
>>51259894
D44M is fun tho
>>
>>51259710

You get to retry each scenario once and you just move on to the next one if you fail twice. So you'll play 12-24 games. I think there's some sort of automatic difficulty adjusting too.
>>
>>51259894

Well it can never replace the original because doom is the best fucking thing ever, but doom 2016 was a pretty worthy descendant. Nothing shameful like fucking doom 3
>>
>>51259868
Haven't been able to play mine yet but everything looks fantastic and it hurts that none of my friends want to play it with me. I have heard that the invader has to go aggro if they want to have a chance to win
>>
>>51260075
This. I even felt compelled to be constantly strafejumping around like it was Quake, despite having no apparent speed advantage over just running in a straight line.
>>
>>51260112

Is it Co-op? I can't decide if want Doom or Conan
>>
>>51260145
Both are 1vAll.
>>
>>51259953
Thank you. I was worried that we wouldn't be able to continue if we failed twice.
>>
>>51260145
>>51260178
I've heard Conan is more fun of the two but Doom comes with everything while if you didn't back Conan on Kickstarter then there's some content that you just can't get
>>
>>51256433
when will power up come out for the newer version ?
>>
>>51260252
Im pretty sure its already out? I know it works on King of Tokyo as well as New York.
>>
>>51259398
Worth it. It'll really benefit from getting a competent buddy into it. I love it, but having two friends that are only kind of into it means it doesn't get played very often.
>>
File: pizzaboxfootball.jpg (663KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
pizzaboxfootball.jpg
663KB, 3264x2448px
Im into football and have a board game group of guys, some of whom would be down to play football related board games.

I got Blood Bowl: Team Manager but am looking for something a little bit more realistic. My game shop has Pizzabox Football for fairly cheap and I can download the expansions online.

Do you have any experience or opinions on Pizzabox Football or any recommendations for other similar games?
>>
File: IMG_4030.jpg (209KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4030.jpg
209KB, 1024x768px
>>51261549

No but I was interested in playing Bloodbowl since in reprint .

Is this worth 80 bucks ?
>>
Should I buy blood rage, kemet or wait for the jappo dudes on map game by that one dude
>>
File: IMG_4033.jpg (236KB, 1213x1400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4033.jpg
236KB, 1213x1400px
Thoughts ?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (234KB, 1307x525px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
234KB, 1307x525px
Tear up your game goy, what are you, poor? You're going to get so much value for the time you put in and really it's about the journey, not some itty bitty ... bits (lol) to keep around forever, duh? You know who else is forever? Batman and let me tell you that was not a good movie.

Now, about the game itself. Well, I can't talk much about it because of spoilers but it's great and you should buy it.

PS

Donate to kickpatreon or toxic masculinity wins
>>
>>51263111
Isn't it like $180?
>>
>>51263248
what did I just read?
>>
>>51263248
Shit up and shut down is objectively bad for hating on FeU
>>
>>51263396

it's 90 bucks like most big games with minis these days.

180$ was for the kickstarter with all the expansions.

Received my copy a few days ago, I need to get it to the table, looks actually genuinely good, I backed it initially just because I'm a manchild who loves TMNT but apparently, there's appeal beyond the franchise.
>>
>>51263111
not enough pizza.
>>
>>51263248
Is this the seameme review?
HERES SOKE REALLY BORING GAMEPLAY BUT ITS NOT SURE I PROMISE BECAUSE... I CANT TELL YOU WHY LOL

Too bad its still shit
>>
>>51261549
1st & Goal replaced Pizza Box for me, though the expansions are almost required to give any flavor, but do make it a little expensive. The app is pretty decent at giving you an idea what it's like if you want to get a taste at a lower cost, but it's a very good football simulator. Also fuck that play die, it costs me so damn much every time I get a game in.
>>
>>51263533
Did you get the works edition ? Is it worth the extra $$? Do they plan on releasing the extra characters in future expansions ?
>>
File: x card.png (517KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
x card.png
517KB, 1024x768px
>>51263248
KEK! I just can't take these people seriously.

ZOMG! There are slave cards in 5 Tribes! Sure,it's a totally fictional setting based loosely on Arabian folk lore from a time period where both fictional AND historical incidents of slavery occurred, and the authors of the game in no way implied or stated that they support slavery or otherwise thought it was a good thing. But that's no reason not to act like a complete ass-hat who can't distinguish fiction from reality....

TRIGGERED!!!! X-CARD! X-CARD! X-CARD!
RRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
I'm triggered and you should be too!

I can only give these ass-hats partial credit though as they failed to note the plight of the fictional Djinn who are 'bought' and also used as more powerful slave labor.

I have a hard time watching Rhado review some games because he's disorganized and all over the map in some of his reviews. SUSD on the other hand make me want to severely pummel them with a clue x 4.
>>
>>51257995
Fabled Fruit
>>
>>51264101
I'm convinced that Rhado bumps a line of coke before each review.
>>
Capitain sonar is 40 bucks on coolstuff but I can only regularly get 6 friends together to board game frequently . I heard it's optimal to play with 8+ players

Is it worth buying if I can only get 6 people ?
>>
File: 1414341149829.gif (1MB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
1414341149829.gif
1MB, 256x192px
>>51264306
That would explain certain things...
>>
>>51263248
I don't even know this context but I think I can surmise what's going on here. Jesus.
>>
Is there a game that can provide the same sort of epic experience as Twilight Imperium without the lengthy time requirement?
>>
>>51261811
I love that game to bits, I'd pay the $80 for core even though I know it's overpriced. New minis are pretty good.
>>
>>51263111
>Kickstarter exclusives as far as the eye can see
>Mousers, Beebop, and Rocksteady are kickstarter exclusive
>Even Splinter, Casey Jones and April are kickstarter exclusives

I would love to play this game but it's another game where it looks like over half the content is unattainable now. I like the idea of the campaign and the turtles all have unique dice to suit their character and everything, but I can never buy a game with this many exclusives. I might love the game and then there's an empty void where the expansion packs I can't get should be.
>>
>>51264697
Looks like this will be the trend in the upcomming future.
>>
>>51264697

All those characters are going to be realeased in future expansions and the base is more than enough to play the game
>>
Jesus christ I thought video game industry was bad

watching/reading about board games for the past few weeks:

- expansion pack on top of expansion pack
- ludicrous prices
- kickstarters everywhere
- card rng
- token spam
- legacy aka the equivalent of taking a hammer to your hard drive after finishing work on the computer

sheesh
>>
>>51264765
>A character that is literally on the box art is a paid for expansion.
Kill yourself.
>>
>>51264768
>- card rng
>- token spam
Can you explain these ones. I kind don't get them.
>>
>>51264870
tokens are ugly and cards are just random counters
>>
>>51264898
I mean what games are you making reference? because I can't recall anyone at least from my recent memory.
>>
>>51264119

That's a campaign game.
>>
>>51264768
much like vidya, it's only the most visible shit that's like this. There's still plenty of great smaller games being made.
>>
>>51264765
>All those characters are going to be realeased in future expansions
"All assets label with the Kickstarter Exclusive button will only be given to backers of this campaign. The retail base box will not contain any of the additional heroes, villains, or allies labeled with that logo.

In the future, newer alternate versions of these characters may come out in retail.

The art for both physical boxes in this campaign will never see retail, nor will the Save the Studio campaign, Eastman ally or Rooftop Rush."

If the content of expansions ever starts to significantly outweigh the content missed, then maybe. As of right now, I'm not convinced I should invest in this game knowing all these things are going to have to preform a work around just to see the light of retail day.

>>51264725
There's some hope. Lots of kickstarters are starting to realize there's money to be made in NOT making things exclusive. People are taking note of the fact that Scythe didn't do any of this bullshit and is now making a fortune selling promos while having not discouraged their backers at all. For example XIA had a kickstarter for their second expansion, and while the first contained like 7 or 8 exclusive things, their expansion kickstarter contained one exclusive which they are in the talks of reprinting under a different color to sell to the general public.
>>
>>51264963
any game that uses cards
>>
>>51264768
There's even people who complain about certain aspects of board games, even when there are plenty of alternatives.
>>
>>51264768
>- expansion pack on top of expansion pack
I don't mind this personally so long as they contain enough. You have to go through this on a case by case basis. A miniatures game where you're buying characters individually are a money sink but most boardgames produce expansions the same way old videogames did, and usually with much more value to your box than new videogames do.
>- ludicrous prices
It is what it is. You're buying a physical box of stuff and not digital data reproduced onto a 50 cent disc at best. As such the price can't really drop usually. I find for the entertainment value it shares between all my friends playing it, it's generally worth it.
>- kickstarters everywhere
Lots of great games came from kickstarters. Lots of those great games don't even have exclusive content. Games I own funded with kickstarter that I did not back on kickstarter:
-Baseball Highlights 2045
-Blood Rage (4 exclusive monsters missed out on, all told not a whole lot but the most I missed out on)
-Millennium Blades
-Flashpoint: Fire Rescue
-Santorini
-Stockpile
>- card rng
If you want a no chaos game, you can certainly find games for you. There's plenty of games like that. That being said, I find it weird you bring up cards when dice are the way more common random modifier. A lot of card games have you mitigating luck and playing smartly. Dice are made almost exclusively to reduce skill.
>- token spam
Which games are terrible about this? Generally games I play use tokens pretty wisely.
>- legacy aka the equivalent of taking a hammer to your hard drive after finishing work on the computer
You can just not destroy your cards and take notes instead of placing stickers. The thing about that though is that these things enforce the consequences of what is realistically a one time use game because the gameplay focuses heavily on the idea of spoilers. I won't ever find myself replaying a telltale point and click or heavily story focused game, and I still buy those.
>>
File: IMG_1114.jpg (4MB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1114.jpg
4MB, 3000x3000px
Thoughts?
>>
>>51265636
I love it, it's what got me into boardgames. There's a good hodge podge of mechanics. Unique alien powers change the game pretty drastically each time, the card combat goes hand in hand with the negotiations as you assess how worn out your opponent might be, alliances and group victories tend to balance out the intentionally imbalanced aliens. Negotiations add a much needed social element that boardgames should more often stress and the destiny deck is a great way to make sure no one feels too salty about people teaming up, or at least makes the kingmakers super obvious.
>>
>>51263487
>FeU
?
>>
>>51264403
It's still quite good at 6, I wouldn't let that stop me.
>>
>>51265636

Kingmaker: the Game
>>
>>51267071
Flick em Up
>>
>>51264571
Exodus and Eclipse do the space empire thing quicker but aren't as grandiose. Honestly just toning down the size of your TI3 games a bit and learning to play faster would cut down the length to manageable levels. At least one guy here swears that the game is best with four players on smaller two ring galaxies instead of the 6-8 on 3-4 rings most people treat as standard.
>>
>>51264403
I would actually recommend it with 6 over anything higher
>>
>>51263248
>but it's great and you should buy it.
They stopped playing it because there were better games though.
>>
>>51269171
The Irony Meter - she has ass-ploded!
>>
File: 5d6.jpg (28KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
5d6.jpg
28KB, 600x600px
>>51267143
>>
>>51263487
>>51267071
>>51267212
They didn't hate on Flick em Up, I actually watched that review.
>>
>>51263248
What video is that from?
>>
>>51259790
>that map
Hasbro Seal of QUALITY*
>>
>>51234836
Check out But Wait There's More. Similar to Snake Oil, but better.
>>
>>51235155
Although all the games you listed are 'dudes on a map' games, they're all pretty different. Besides miniatures and player count, what are you looking for? Combat? Engine building? Area supremacy?
>>
>>51262374
Kemet.
Had my first play yesterday and I realized how much depth there is to that game yet its so simple mechanics wise.

Also that upgrade system.
>>
>>51264076

Is it worth the extra money ? Well, I like having Bebop & Rocksteady, Casey Jones etc... And I'm fairly sure they'll be more expensive at retail.

Apparently, only the sculpts are exclusive, all the characters included as kickstarter exclusives will eventually be re-released, just with new minis.
>>
File: CarthagePix.jpg (244KB, 825x730px) Image search: [Google]
CarthagePix.jpg
244KB, 825x730px
>Going to sell Arkham Horror + expansions because I never play them anymore
>Figure I'd pick up some second-hand wargames from some guy
>Decide to buy War and Peace, Russian Front and Carthage
>He asks if I might be interested in The Republic of Rome, Imperium Romanum II and Warriors of God
>They're all games I've been looking for, but are either expensive or OOP
>tfw suddenly I have 6 games incoming
>>
File: pic2390081.jpg (2MB, 1440x1422px) Image search: [Google]
pic2390081.jpg
2MB, 1440x1422px
Finally pulled the trigger on this for $30. Haven't played it yet but I hear it's like the firefly game which I love. What am I in for guys? Reviews seem good.
>>
>>51257997

>slapping "Legacy" into everything
>Literally 3 legacy games exist
>>
>>51273279
So you're saying Ultimate Werewolf Legacy doesn't sound kind of slapped on
>>
>>51273307

I was more taking issue with the word 'everything' than 'slapped'.
>>
does anyone know how i can make the inside of my boardgame lids thicker, so they fit more tightly?

or make some kind of ridge on the box and lid so it gets stuck when its slid over.
>>
Just copped the arkham horror LCG, what am I in for?
>>
>>51273736
Spooky skeletons
>>
>>51273307
Good thing that doesn't and will never exist then.
>>
>>51274065
Uuuh... Anon...
>>
>>51274065
Announced last Gencon
>>
>>51273736

A fun yet incredibly frustrating co-op LCG. Recommended you purchase a second core if you want to do any sort of deckbuilding (you will).
>>
>>51273561
Glue strips of foam around the inside?
>>
>>51274178
foamcore or rubber?
>>
>>51273561
Craft foam, or maybe some stick on solution from 3M? You could always throw double lock on there, those lids would never come off accidentally again.
>>
>>51274286
double lock ?
>>
>>51273736
Its a coop, there is nothing to expext.
>>
>>51274291
Sorry mistyped, dual lock. Seriously though, I'm pretty sure this'd result in boxes tearing apart when people tried to lift the lids off, but it'd be an interesting experiment. Maybe test on an old copy of Stratego first.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heavjPsXF1w
>>
>>51274065

#rekt
>>
>>51273561
Get a large rubber band and run it around the inside/bottom piece.
>>
>>51273736
A damn fun thematic game. Put on some spoopy music and get into the atmosphere.
>>
A Question about Descent.
Anyone tried the Automated Overlord?
Are there any other such options? different rules / tools that change the game?
>>
>>51263111
Disclaimer: guy in my group backed it, so he had all the exclusives and whatnot.

That said, we had a lot of fun with it. The system isn't that hard to learn, the shared dice aspect is really cool, and the power cards are also cool. We played three scenarios, most of which had goals other than "kill all enemies."

My biggest complaint is that it seems fairly stacked against the enemy player. Like I said, played three scenarios, and the players won two. The two that we won were curbstomps, the one that we lost was close.
>>
Fresh bread
>>51276022
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.