[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 35

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
http://pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last thread
>>51067113
>>
Question of the Now: Sci-Fi or Fantasy? (skirmish sized)
>>
>>51119882
I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
>>
Weird war game with good minis, good rules, and continued support fucking when?
>>
>>51120377
When you can go an entire year without masturbating.
>>
File: 1482724160297.png (60KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1482724160297.png
60KB, 625x626px
>>51120390

Challenge accepted.
>>
>>51119454
What game is in OP's picture?
>>
>>51120377
Never. Weird War is cursed.
>>
>>51119882
Both are good.
>>
>>51119882

I am Bizarro Anon. I want Fantasy warband based skirmish, and I want sci-fi mass combat.

I also want a Judge Dredd-esque gang based game that takes everything 80's and runs with it. When will I be abled to pit my outraged accountants against my buddy's Intelligent Apes?

(Probably when I quit being a jew and actually buy Gangs of Mega City One).
>>
>>51121358
A Judge Dredd-esque game sounds like a lot of fun. I think GW is going to be resurrecting necromunda.
>>
>>51120728
I would assume a 25-30mm WW2 game, really could be any of them.
>>
>>51121358
Is GoMC1 actually worth something now? It was on discount when it was released.
>>
>>51122557
I don't think it's a WW2 game. One of the characters towards the bottom has an almost western looks and it looks like a couple might be dual wielding something.
>>
>>51122581

About $15, I'm just cheap.

Alternatively, the rules splat is about $40 when you can find it.

Shame we never really got vehicles rules or the like.

I have the PDFs for Combat Zone, should just clean those up (convert cm to in, re-type everything, incorporate some of the fan rules).
>>
>>51119882
Neither. Alt-history is where it's at.
>>
>>51121358
>I also want a Judge Dredd-esque gang based game
Well, since Warlord has the rights, we'll probably get something eventually.

Hopefully their figures scale well with the Mongoose's since I grabbed a few judges when they were on clearance.
>>
>>51120728
fallout
>>
>>51120728
Sorry, should have changed the filename. it's This is Not a Test, a post apocalyptic skirmish game with strong thematic ties to Fallout. The facebook page has a lot of good content.
>>
>>51121358

>Gang based tabletop game for control of a city.

Sounds sweet. I'd play a frost grave style game only in the future with warring gangs.

Also as a young guy I never got the chance to play necromunda. Was it a cool game? What made it unique?
>>
>>51120377
What is Konflict '47 then? Sounds like it ticks all the boxes there
>>
>>51123856
I think Rogue Star by Osprey Books is up your street then cause it's small group sci-fi action!

Necromunda was a cool game and fun to play with some distinctly different gangs with a nice campaign system. Wouldn't say it was unique, it was basically a 40k skirmish game that was based on a more detailed rule set. Different ranges for w weapons, modifiers and even varying dice which is why a lot of misty eyed nostalgia is attached to it
>>
What are you working on, /awg/?

I'm currently starting work on terrain for a gaming table for Heavy Gear
>>
Why is Prodos so incompetent
>>
>>51125273

I should be painting but I'm full of cold and just can't get motivated.
>>
>>51123856
There is a leak claiming a rerelease of necromunda.
>>
>>51125273
I'm busy with uni exams this week but once that's done I'll probably crack on with Heavy Gear stuff.
>>
>>51120377
>>51125004
There seems to be so many Weird War games that are or were only good at one thing.

Dust had great vehicle minis, abysmal infantry, and the shitcunt autist that held the IP spat the dummy when Andy Chambers was contracted to write the rules that people actually wanted, ripping the IP out from under FFG and causing a shitstorm chain of events that left the game out in the cold and me still somewhat confused about what happened/ is happening now.

AE-WWII had beautiful character models but never seemed to go anywhere. I'm not even sure what it was, must have been a really small fig count skirmish game based on the range.

Secrets of the Third Reich had some good minis, a few dogs too, on the whole a more chunky old-fashioned style that I'm not necessarily opposed to. Other than the thematic but clunky 'same profile for all servicemen plus a whole heap of special rules for weird units' thing, SoTR played beautifully. It actually makes a really solid historical game too. A partnership driven development of a not-Space Hulk game with some better but also sometimes jarringly different styled sculpts which were also very expensive to kit out an army with seemed to be strange choices. Lacklustre weird selections for a couple of base game factions and extremely slow release of expansion content probably hampered take-up. Worse was a complete lack of communication, developments only communicated second hand. A second edition kickstarter with the goal of expanding the game to the pacific theatre was launched but pulled on it's way to meeting funding goals, clearly the push goals were the actual objectives, dishonesty which still annoys me.

It is still on sale, British Army and Paras, Germany, USSR and USA have well fleshed out rosters with miniatures support. But with no new content it lacks the inertia for people to pick it up, there's a lot of magpie wargamers out there.
>>
>>51126344

Konflikt 47 does a lot of things okay, a few things well (probably the best power armour out there) but on the whole (IMO) it doesn't meet any of the individual high points of the other games. Very much a jack of all trades, master of none, but considering it will likely be taken up by a lot of BA players which will guarantee it will be well supported by Bolt Action for a long time it is the all round best choice.

Like Bolt Action people will compare it to 40k despite all of the positive changes like the activation system largely because of the fucktarded compression of weapons ranges which causes absurd situations like troops from one end of the laser cut Pegasus Bridge being unable to fire upon the other. Why they simply can't trust us to break fire lanes with terrain like in SoTR I have no fucking idea, it's the key gripe I have with BA.
>>
>>51126356
I really dont like the mech models for k'47.
>>
>>51125644
Narrow it down a little, what part are you aiming at? They seem to be getting better with Warzone Resurrection. Which is all I care about.

I'm not touching the AVP shenanigans.

If you mean they have had to stop taking or dropping other people's projects cause they have been acquired and having to focus on getting better at their own game I can see that upsetting some people too!
>>
>>51125273
Nice work.

I'm awaiting some goodies to arrive for Warpath and Deadzone. Need to pick a main force and paint it. Do some work on a secondary force and sort out some battlezone terrain.
I'm painting some figures for a couple friends with some more figures for others due as well. So loads of painting!!
>>
>>51126502
I think they have charm, I'd prefer them to a more serious design that itself falls down in terms of feasibility. They are a bit playful, remind me of Pax Limpopo.
>>
How do you guys store your minis? I'm up to some devious endeavors in the lab, think I found a great way to do it and replace my current set up.
>>
Does anyone have recomendations for a good build your own warband type fantasy skrimish game that is more complex than SoBaH or advanced SoBaH?
>>
File: OWSbundle1.jpg (518KB, 1200x1052px) Image search: [Google]
OWSbundle1.jpg
518KB, 1200x1052px
>>51127728

I haven't played it so it's not really a recommendation but you could take a look at Otherworld.
>>
>>51128040
Thanks anon I'll check it out.
>>
>>51128040
I keep forgetting this game as well
>>
>>51128040
Can't find any battle reports of it. What does it play like?
>>
>>51129481
Look for battle reports of 7TV, it's built on the same basis.
>>
>>51129481

It uses the same core system that 7TV by Crooked Dice does so you could maybe look that up and see how that plays?

It's mostly roll a D6 to get a target number based on comparative stats with a bunch of mods, standard stuff.
>>
File: banshee1-510x652.jpg (26KB, 510x652px) Image search: [Google]
banshee1-510x652.jpg
26KB, 510x652px
15mm goodness from clearhorizonminiatures from the USA. Wonder if they have a UK supplier?
>>
Would someone happen to have the expansion for Reaper's Warlord scanned? Can't find it anywhere and Reaper won't do shit when asked to release the rules in pdf form.
>>
So, how do you guys store you wargaming terrain? Do you use a mat or modular tiles? Do you have a lot of terrain?
>>
>>51131617
Back when I used to play 40k I never needed to buy terrian, as I only ever played at my FLGS and the GW store, and both had their own terrian. But after both of those closed down and I started playing Dystopian Wars I had to start getting my own terrain. Of course, the good thing about Dystopian Wars as that because of the small scale I could fit the terrain in my old Citidal cases.
>>
>>51131617
Oh, and for a mat I use a navy blue tablecloth.
>>
>>51131617
Advantage of Deadzone is you can store all the terrain and the have mat in the box, admittedly I got the first version with its massive box
>>
>>51133034
IIRC the second had a rather massive box as well.
Alternatively you could make inserts for boxes to store your terrain in.
Or magnetize them. Or make them modular. Or never leave the house and always play at home, that's a viable solution as well.
>>
>>51133090
Lol there is always they option!

The 2nd version photo of the box looks half the size but about 1/3rd again deeper but yeah big boxes help
>>
Wow it's struggling tonight
>>
>>51134229
It's been struggling a lot lately. There just hasn't been much to talk about.
>>
>>51134287
Christmas and New Years just hit, everyone is recovering.
>>
>>51134287
Yeah, it's the slow beginning of the year. At least there's some good stuff hearing from Mantic but that's going to be April for retail so that's a bit grim!!
>>
>>51134422
Heading out from Mantic, what is wrong with this phones auto correct
>>
>>51134422
And of course the grim bit odd the wait, should have made that more obvious!
>>
>>51120377
The problem with Weird War is that they go too weird.
Without elements that tie them back to reality, you're just playing some fantasy game. I mean, Warmachine could be a game about Weird War 1, right?

You need the ability of your nazi mech to fight an M4 Sherman. Or some japanese soldiers who are suffering from malaria on some island to engage US Rocket Paratroopers. Or something like that.

Giving everyone werewolf zombie psychics and nothing else just leaves a dumb setting.
>>
So how do the vinyl wargame mats compare to the rubber/neoprene ones? Are the more expensive rubber ones worth the extra money?
>>
>>51126538
Tell me about these AVP shenanigans you speak of.
>>
>>51134723
Yes buy the mouse mat versions, they store better and they are more hard-wearing. The cheap nasty one crease and tear and if you fold it well that's it. Oh and they mark really easy to, so spend a little more for a better product
>>
>>51134833
It's a well know tale of woe, a young company off the back of successfully bring Warzone back from the dead via kickstarter made a deal with the devil. The devil taking the form of Fox, I mean really why would you deal with them, and wafted the AVP licence at them. Sucker's took it and ran to kickstarter and geeks threw money at monitors across the world.

Then Prodos realised that Fox was a lot slower than Paradox/Cabinet and a lot more controlling with their IP. Didn't help that Gearbox screwed the pooch with their disappointing game so Fox went into damage control. Product slowly got approved, but damage has been done.
To keep people in work Prodos appeared to be taking on casting and design for other companies, which didn't go down well with the masses but hay ho. It's damaged then enough to put off people from doing Warzone which is a shame as it's really good
>>
>>51130693
Doesn't look like it.
>>
>>51135168
Oh wow...so I guess I can add this to the list of reasons to hate Anthony Butch.
>>
I feel like there needs to be a chart of all the wargame companies, and on that chart it should say all of the problems that a company has or had.
>>
>>51135918
you wouldn't ever buy anything lmao
>>
>>51138112
Nah, just because something about a company is bad doesn't mean the whole company is bad.
>>
Is rogue stars pretty much frost grave only sci-fi?
>>
>>51140906
It's similar in that it is a small scale skirmish game with integrated campaign rules, uses a d20 bases system and you can use any models you want.

That's where the similarities end. The gameplay and squad creation are all very different.
>>
>Be spartan games
>Successfully fund a kickstarter
>Proceed to not talk about it at all on your blog

Sweet.
>>
>>51140906
It's more sci-fi Songs of Blades and heroes but d20 based.
>>
>>51141063
They're probably disappointed that it went nowhere, like Other Side, you could feel the desperation when they said they'd add in free minis halfway in.
>>
>>51141710

Didn't exceed its goal and then some anon? I just don't know how you have a success then not acknowledge it.

I'm confused by what you mean.
>>
>>51141063
Let's be honest, Spartan has not exactly been the most expeditious company when it comes to updating, well, anything.
>>
Guys would you be interested in an 70-80's themed sci-fi skirmish game. 10-20 models at maximum.

Thinking about going through the works of starting it. Or maybe just the late night tiredness is getting too me...
>>
File: 20170110_230051.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170110_230051.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
I finished painting three more 6mm minis, although I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with their bases (or what kind of game I'll play with them).
>>
>>51141760
>Didn't exceed its goal and then some anon?
The stretch goals were probably the actual goals rather than the stated one, a la Westwind with Secrets of the Third Reich.
>>
>>51142715

Fucking christ... why do I even try and play /awg/ when the mainstream ones I like are run by idiots.
>>
>>51125273
Really wish Heavy Gear was more Gundam and less VOTOMS
>>
>>51143119
That's what Jovian Chronicles is for my friend. Too bad it isn't as supported as Heavy Gear.
>>
>>51142715
Westwind a shit.
I love Empire of the Dead, but it is at best a half-finished system that will likely never get finished.
Also, what are they thinking charging 7gbp for a single pewter man sized model?
>>
>>51143182
They're probably thinking it's half the price of a GW plastic figure. Some are £4. I've just had a look and they seem to be nice figures and reasonable prices considering the market. They look better than Northstars sculpts who do 7-9 figures got £23 but most of those are mooks not characters
>>
>>51143170
It's coming back, actually.
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/201440/Jovian-Wars--Alpha-Playtest-Rules-Package-v1?cPath=73_124
>>
>>51143600
I've got the vampire starter set, and they are nice figures. I still can't wrap my head around the price - I'd like to add some of the weird weaponry to my gang, but at those prices with the level of support the game is getting I can't pull the trigger.

>>51143659
Very cool, I did not know that. Thanks.
>>
>>51143705
I'm not sure what you mean? I'm flat broke poor and I don't think they are over charging. In fact I'm tempted to take dip, if I hadn't just ordered some Warpath as I'm in sci-fi mode at the moment!
>>
>>51141710
other side is typical Wyrd tho- just like with TTB they appear to not *want* a runaway success. Which makes a lot of sense- kickstarters get delays, making the delays even worse AND gutting the retail marked for years (because everyone jumps on the KS for the great savings) is not ideal for an established company that wants to have good relations with said retailers.

Spartan on the other side doesn't know it's ass from it's elbow when it comes to business, so who knows.
>>
>>51144038
I come from Historicals, where I don't pay more than 2gpb a figure unless there's a really good reason.
Even Black Scorpion's beautiful (albeit resin) figs come in around that price.
>>
>>51144541
>don't pay more than 2gpb a figure unless there's a really good reason

This is the only reasonable thing and wargamers deserve every woe for allowing >2gpb to become the standard.
>>
>>51141209
Except it's significantly more complex. Which is a good thing. I would really like SoBaH if it wasn't so simplified.
>>
>>51142540
Sounds interesting but I'd need more details.
>>
>>51144335
Is the Other Side pretty much just a dumbed down Malifaux? That's the impression I got but I could be very wrong.
>>
>>51144335
There is little reason for a company to not want their KS to hit a couple million dollars. Wyrd are no exceptions.
>>51141760
Standard practice is to set a lower goal than you want so that when goes off it immediately is like 300% funded which looks good and gets it better press. I guarantee that Wyrd was salty they hit a little over 200k in the first day then barely got to 250k 2 weeks later.
>>
>>51145854
By all accounts yes.
>>
>>51146038
What's the point of it then? Malifaux doesn't even seem that complex in the first place.
>>
>>51146059
To try and grab a different market. Expand without expanding Malifaux.
>>
>>51145799

Don't have anything designed more then the rough factions.

>Mining Corp PMC. Takes themes from 70-80's American fighting forces and things like aliens colonial marines.
>The Machinist Union. Communist robots tired of being exploited. Theme would be the propaganda images of the early USSR and modern north korea.
>The savages. Think 80's maybe 90's cyberpunk ruffians. Bright colored Mohawk blaring synthwave doing drivebys on the man on the back of their hub less motorbikes.

All of it takes place on a big mining asteroid turned floating freeport.
>>
Progress continues on my Heavy Gear table, and I have realised 10mm houses are actually kind of small so I'm not sure 18 will be enough to populate a 3x3 board.

They also don't fully block LOS for Gears, usually obscuring 50-75% of the model. I am a little concerned this will make the fire lanes too open (HGB being properly 12mm scale, which is tricky to get scenery in).

On the other hand, mechs towering over squat, blocky adobe buildings and using them as waist high walls looks rad as fuck, proper Front Mission stuff. I will get some photos once my roads arrive, but the plan is a desert town in the centre of the table with some rocky outcrops on an otherwise sparse desert, with a highway crossing and the junkyard/ammo dump off to one side.
>>
Does anyone got the axe and brimstone rules for advanced song of blades and heroes yet?
>>
>>51142715
But they reached all their stretch goals.
>>
>>51146773
I posted them a few threads back but I'll post them again for ya.
>>
>>51146533
What about the gameplay?
>>
>>51147099
Nice. Thank you very much. Bought the hard cover today and can´t wait.
>>
>>51147136

Can't decide between doing say stats or doing simple number crunch like how say BA does it.
>>
>>51147287
BA?
>>
>>51147482
Oh bolt action nevermind.
>>
>>51147496

Can I ask what you'd like more anon? Describe the crunch say you'd like rules wise?
>>
>>51143600
It amuses me that the last GW fig I bought from GW was £7.20 for a man-sized metal figure, some time last year.

Had to order it online and have it shipped (free) to the local store, though, and of course there are two weapon arms and it's random which one you get, the shit one or the one that looks like it fits the model. Lucked out there.
>>
File: Dredd Starter.jpg (135KB, 726x694px) Image search: [Google]
Dredd Starter.jpg
135KB, 726x694px
>>51121358
>>51121776
>>51123856
>>51122904

There is the Judge Dredd Miniatures Game by Mongoose, which Warlord is also involved in to some extent.

It has the all sorts of different gangs, Judges, Street Gangs, Fatties, Apes, Renegade Robots, Necromancer led zombie hordes, Sky surfers, Cultists, the Kleeg, East-Meg, lone superheros and so on...

Gameplay wise it seems very much like D10 based necromunda, I've only read the rules not actually played though.
>>
>>51148566
they look 80s early 90s as fuck

also no ape gang?
>>
File: ape gang.jpg (88KB, 600x541px) Image search: [Google]
ape gang.jpg
88KB, 600x541px
>>51148592

Apes are certainly there.
I think they've got rules for pretty much all the mongoose miniatures.

I'm not completely taken with the mongoose range but so many of the gangs can be made from other miniatures (often with no converting at all) that's not a problem really.
>>
>>51148566
>>51148773
up to recently they also released miniatures for the game pic related was in november i think, but it seems there was a legal problem, which is why the game isn't sold on warlord atm anymore, but they announced that they re?acquired the rights for 2000ad and Judge Dredd.
>>
File: Dredd TG.png (114KB, 370x350px) Image search: [Google]
Dredd TG.png
114KB, 370x350px
>>51148566

Dug my book out.

Some gangs I missed.

Citi-Def, Mobsters, Cursed Earth Desperadoes, Apocalypse War Resistance (mix of Judges, Citi-def and Street Punks), Mechanismo Robo-Judges.

Then famous groups like the Angel Gang, Dark Judges, The ABC Warriors, Chief Judge Cal and his forces.
>>
Is their a good source of the "Raptor" buggies that mantic had for their warpath game? I love the models. It was for the orx faction
>>
>>51148566
Yeah mongoose let the license slide and Warlord had to stop, but as they were fans they then went to Rebellion and got hold of the licence and plan to release a load of 2000ad products, their way and not mongoose. So could be all new rules and figures, depends on what happened with the lot mongoose had.
>>
File: Judge Dredd.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Judge Dredd.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51148967
>>51149044

Sad to hear that.

I'll throw up the first edition pdfs I've got.

Not sure if there are pdfs of the second edition around.
>>
File: jdblockwar.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
jdblockwar.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51149349
>>
File: Dredd faq.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Dredd faq.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51149501
>>
>>51149044

Woh woh woh.... new judge dredd minis possible then?
>>
>tfw want to start a blog
>not sure whether to use my real name as I'll probably post on some of the Facebook groups or whether to use my current alias
>>
>>51149702
More than a possibility, I'd imagine they might take a fresh look at. We'll find out when they announce the first game as to the fate of the mongoose stuff. Hell it might even go plastic who knows!
>>
>>51151249

Got a non edgy alias? Go ahead and use it. If you're gonna use your name make sure your shits tight and private.
>>
>>51152287

Well anon you've given me some hope. Here's hoping they do it soon. Would be one hell of a system to play.
>>
Do most mini companies nowadays rely on 3-D printers when making their master molds?
>>
>>51153556

This vex'd me as well. 3-d printers came about out of rapid prototype machines right? Are they that accurate know?
>>
>>51153773
I saw gw's rapid prototyping machine around the time the lotr was in it's 2nd or 3rd film and it was impressive and I've seen modern 3d printed prototype and yeah there's something to be said for a hand sculpted model but better printers have meant that there are more sculptors and more variety in the market.
I think it's like the CD vs vinyl argument.....
>>
What are some companies with good models that still rely on handsculpted prototypes?
>>
>>51155658
Depends on what your into. I know Warlord still do some of theirs with by hand sculptors, some of the Beyond the Gates of Antares stuff was definitely fine by hand. But it's not something I'm that worried about so it'll be a bit of a search. The only thing is it's fairly easy to tell cause WIP shots on blogs won't be renders!
>>
>>51155724
Fine = done sodding phone!
>>
Is it just me or are there no really popular fantasy wargames? Because it seems like for every fantasy wargame there is at least 4 sci-fi, cyberpunk, steampunk, or something else.
>>
>>51156794

Yeah, I mean can we name of the popular ones?

>AoS
>9th age
>KoW
>Runewars: The miniature game probably.

Is frostgrave on there too?
>>
>>51156794

Shooting is easier to make tactically engaging than melee and spells.
>>
>>51157720
That makes sense. Don't really care that much about it though, as lately I haven't come across any sort of fantasy that I liked.
>>
>>51158022
Yeah, its been a while since I've seen any fantasy that really grabs me. Which bums me out, since I prefer fantasy over sci-fi for the most part.
>>
>>51159197
I feel like as I've gotten older fantasy has lost its luster. Maybe it's because most of the time fantasy settings repeat the same tropes over and over again and never really do anything new.
>>
>>51159657
That's how I feel about most modern sci-fi settings.
>>
>>51160265
That's why I play alt-history/history. At least then the tropes actually have an explanation.
>>
>>51156930
I'm not sure about Runewars! I mean I've played a fantasy game with the xwing tokens and movement. It was called D&D attack wing. It hardly a set the world aflame with it's game play. Also not really looked but if it's prepainted, no thanks, look at age of ragnarok it finished off Rackham.
>>
>>51155658

Hasslefree Miniatures.
>>
>>51163494
Oh yeah, they do make good hand sculpted figures. Apparently they are even going to do their first plastic this year but sure if they are going to be CAD?
>>
>>51158022
>>51157720

have you played K&K?

Some great incredibly tactical skirmishing, primarily historically based but easily incorporates fantasy elements, best as low fantasy with almost no spells imo.

http://www.hisentco.com/

Rules are free, it's a small to mid sized skirmish game with command rules, morale, and random actions for troops outside of your command range (ie peasants might pretend to not hear your order because holy fuck they don't want to charge in and die)
>>
>>51165743
Will have a little look :)
>>
>>51165743
I take exception to a rulebook from a country with barely any history writing about a period when their founders still lived over here spelling armour wrong!! ;)
>>
>>51166083
and yet with their massive population they're the country most dedicated to medieval archaeology and research, just because they have fly the bastards to europe to do their research doesn't mean there aren't small pockets of well educated, intelligent, americans who give a flying fuck about history
>>
>>51166143

or are the perry brother ACW plastics invalidated because they were sculpted by limey gits?

;)
>>
>>51153556
no

most of the alternative miniature companies are still doing the same methods GW used to use

Hand sculpted green stuff master, tin mould, etc etc the whole rigamaroo

3D-printing is utter garbage for the scale of miniatures
>>
>>51166143
The ;) was there to indicate tongue in cheek comment....
>>
>>51166301
we on /tg/ fucking hate smiley faces quit fucking using them
>>
>>51166301
the only face is :V, thanks to /a/
>>
Has anyone dealt with the em4 orcs and/or dorfs?
>>
>>51166330
Wow, just wow, chill the fuck down. So being polite and friendly even with a bit of ribbing isn't /TG/ either. What a dick!!
>>
>>51166516
Painted up around 30 dorfs, what would you like to know?
>>
>>51166516
they're not sold anymore
>>
>>51166446
I only use /TG/ and very rarely the video game one so I don't know the what they get up to on other sections. So sorry!
>>
>>51166634
scratch that, they're back up for sale, praise be to ridiculously cheap shitty miniatures
>>
>>51166634
The plastic ones are still for sale
>>
>>51166620
How do they compare to GW ones? Do they take paint very well after being primed?
>>
>>51166706
yeah it was like a couple weeks ago or a month ago I checked and they weren't for sale
>>
>>51166614
>So being polite and friendly even with a bit of ribbing isn't /TG/ either.
Now you're getting it. Took you long enough.
>>
>>51166739
No worries they must have had sold out and got a restock. They're only about 20 miles from me, but I've never tried to knock on their door
>>
File: 1475716246200.png (564KB, 603x753px) Image search: [Google]
1475716246200.png
564KB, 603x753px
What's a good wargame for somebody who hates miniatures?
>>
>>51166782
do it, don't be a pussy
>>
>>51166755
You're really going out of your way to add to the conversation
>>
>>51166807
go to /hwg/ and ask about chits
>>
>>51166807
>>>/v/
>>
>>51166809
Rubbish they've moved. They used to be down the road. They moved county, must have know I would try and visit them. It was nice to think we had a local supplier of cheap figures, oh well
>>
>>51166715
They are bit stockier, but have actual knees. I use them with my Skull Pass dorfs and they don't look too out of place.

They take paint really well, and are really easy to paint. A unit of 10 crossbowmen took me like an afternoon or so. For those tho, you'll need to upgrade the crossbows with some plasticard on the front of the weapon. They have some bad unwanted plastic on their back that either need some care, or a shield added there.

The two-handed axemen are good for switching axeheads with GW dorf weapons, and the spearmen make good conversion basis for musicians and standard bearers if you can
source those bits.
>>
File: gunship art.jpg (273KB, 1358x577px) Image search: [Google]
gunship art.jpg
273KB, 1358x577px
Another cheap plug for my 6-10mm Sci-Fi rules.

https://www.scribd.com/document/336391026/Advanced-Squad-Warfare-V0-5

Getting close to being ready to release V1.0 I think. Just a bit more play testing and proof reading.
>>
>>51166819
Thanks, I try.
>>
>>51167013
Why on earth are you using Scribd and not Google Docs?
>>
File: BIMBO.jpg (59KB, 432x299px) Image search: [Google]
BIMBO.jpg
59KB, 432x299px
anyone source this bimbo mini?
>>
>>51167167
Grenadier Future Warriors, sold by EM-4 and possibly some others as well.
>>
>>51167194
why is she so busty in these pictures, but has such small tits in online webstores, did they update her sculpt?
>>
File: FILE1696.jpg (10KB, 321x213px) Image search: [Google]
FILE1696.jpg
10KB, 321x213px
>>51166875
>>
>>51167149

Were you not able to see it in Scribd?

I can convert it to a pdf if that makes it easier to read.
>>
>>51167167
That's from Copplestone Castings, North Star carries them now. The ranges have a bunch of different female minis, that one is I think in with their Biker gang?
>>
>>51167484
No, because it only lets me see the first 3 pages.
>>
>>51167718

Ah OK. Will figure something out after work and re-upload. Thanks for checking it out.
>>
>>51155658

Microworld
Khurasan
Scotia Grendel
CinC
>>
>>51169543
>Microworld
easily some of my favourite sculpts
>>
Since there's no /gdg/ thread up, I may be back later in a sad attempt to get playtesters by plugging a WIP skirmish game.
>>
>>51169663
Why not playtest your own game and the post here about it?
>>
>>51169815
I do, but I need outside views, and I haven't had a steady gaming group in years.
>>
>>51169573

Really nice guy too. If you're a regular he sends you rebates and I gave him a good review on my Yet he send me some models
>>
>>51170312
>Microworld
review on my yet?
>>
File: 0088.jpg (12KB, 250x278px) Image search: [Google]
0088.jpg
12KB, 250x278px
>>51167194
>>51167306
>>51167621
Both ranges were sculpted by Mark Copplestone, hence the similarities.
>>
>>51170426
both of those minis have much smaller busts compared to the source photo

is it a trick of the light? have I been rused?
>>
File: negro5.jpg (44KB, 288x261px) Image search: [Google]
negro5.jpg
44KB, 288x261px
>>51170426
>>51167621
>>51167194

It's definitely the Future Warrior Civilian, 0066 Female Biker. SMG

(which has a near identical sculpt to the future wars biker by Mark Coppplestone) but they have different head poses and weapons.

Maybe it's just the frontal shots for stores hiding the bustyness?
>>
>>51170420

YouTube. Fucking phone
>>
>>51170535
Maybe someone gave her greenstuff 'implants'
>>
guise i need games with werewolf races(miniatures), please halp
>>
>>51171277
Guys and help!!

We had this discussion just the other day.

Cadwallon.com have the old confrontation ranges
CMON do a game called Wrath of Kings by the guys who used to work for Rackham, hence they look like they belong in confrontation.

Konflict'47 also have some Nazi werewolves
>>
Guys help, I need a game with great miniatures that isn't run by a shit company.
>>
>>51171277
Also Mantic's Kings of War game have some werewolves in their undead range
>>
I remember reading about Geheimkrieg, and it seems it got a short book. Anyone played with it?
>>
>>51171277
reaper, otherworld and mantic also have various werewolves.
west wind productions has a range of werewolves/weredogs if you are looking for different races of werewolf.
And if you search the reaper store you'll find weresharks, werearmadillos, weretigers, were just about anythings.
>>
>>51171366
Do they need to have a game with these figures?

If not Hasslefree miniatures nice figures for use in different games
Heresy miniatures

I like Mantic's games especially the sci-fi Deadzone and Warpath

I like Warzone Ressurection, the game and figures are great, but people have issues with Prodos
>>
File: Lacht auf Deutsch.jpg (47KB, 327x303px) Image search: [Google]
Lacht auf Deutsch.jpg
47KB, 327x303px
>>51171435
>Geheimkrieg
Never heard of it.
>>
How does /awg/ feel about named characters in games?
>>
>>51172547
If a game doesn't have any kind of named characters, it usually means said game doesn't have much fluff.
>>
>>51171366

Stop limiting yourself to using the official models and this problem goes away.
>>
>>51172591
I support this comment. People getting salty about named characters are either special snowflakes or WAAC who've been out WAAC'd by the latest cheese. I'm all for fluff, and fluff had named Characters so what can be more fluff listing than a named character?

Two more things:
1) most named characters in 40k don't have an invunerable save so less cheese
2) why are so many gamers forgetting that the main reason to game I is to have fun?
>>
Any Anons know of a US based reseller for Hasslefree miniatures? I'm impatient and don't want to deal with britmonies. Burgerbucks superior.
>>
File: more infantry art.jpg (52KB, 736x414px) Image search: [Google]
more infantry art.jpg
52KB, 736x414px
>>51167718

Here it is in PDF format. Would really appreciate any feedback.

Some pages still have a bit of blank space, haven't found art for every page yet.

http://docdro.id/0wWL4YF
>>
Any good wargames to play cowboys in? Watched magnificent 7, need to get my wild west on.
>>
>>51173052

Blackwater gulch? The rules are free. Alternately, google around for Warhammer: Legends of the Old Rest. Basically Modheim / Necromunda but with cowboys.
>>
Is there a copy of Broken Legions floating about?
>>
>>51172925
I think when it comes to special characters, most games can be organized into two camps: your dudes, and story-driven.

Your dudes usually focuses on your army and any named elements are secondary. They are usually accompanied by a loose setting, with plenty of holes for you to fill with your own army ideas. Named characters, or things like named magic items and such, are just kinda there, and using them or not doesn't detract from the experience. GW games, Dark Age, Warzone, games like that fall into the categories. I'd also put in any games without a solid setting, like SoBaH, Rogue Stars, and Frostgrave here.

While story-driven are the ones where the setting is specific and characters are plentiful. You are not so much playing your own battles, but part of the bigger story. Games like Warmahordes and Malifaux would fall here.

It comes down to how you like to play. Personally, I prefer your dudes. I like specific settings, but would rather feel like playing my own story, not someone else's.
>>
>>51169815
This is also not a terrible idea, but no idea how to convey it to the thread without it being spammy.
>>
>>51176173
Dude, the fact that this thread was posted on Monday and we're only 2/3 through sorta shows how dead this thread has been lately. Any posts are better than no posts at this point.
>>
The fuck is relic knights and why is beasts of war shilling anime trash?
>>
>>51177499
a fotm game from like 2014 which died immediately
>>
>>51177781

Yeah never even heard about it till now.
>>
>>51178393
It was pretty promoted during the kick starter, they hired a glamor-porn-star as a booth babe for promotional photos
>>
>>51178547

Fucking.... what? Who was the porn star?
>>
>>51178547
pure fremdscham
>>
>>51178625
Bianca Beauchamp, and she's a GLAMOR-porn-star as in latex photo shoots
>>
File: GLAMOUR.jpg (186KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
GLAMOUR.jpg
186KB, 1600x1000px
>>51178695

God... Damn.
>>
>>51178748
sodaPOP girls
>>
>>51176330
Meh, I kinda like that its slow. I mean these are niche war games and they're not gonna get constantly updated like 40k. Plus, it allows me to read through the thread and switch over when I'm done reading.

>>51178748
Anon please, I already called this morning, I don't need more fuel for later tonight.
>>
>>51178833
*Fapped*

Fuck you autocorrect
>>
>>51178871
>>51178748
>>51178695
>>51178625
well don't look up marie-claude bourbonnais because she too modeled at some conventions
>>
>>51179129
>>51178748

Damn this thread derailed. Thanks anime wargame. You shitters.
>>
>>51123094

I have this, hardcover and all the PDFs + Expanions, I am having a total blase with it!

Its really fast paced and comes into its own with excellent campaign play.
>>
>>51179129
Her face is pretty nice, but her tits are truly foul. Not that any of that has anything to do with the games involved.
>>
>>51177499
>>51177781
It's a Cool Mini or Not backed project, it was doomed to fail. I played it, enjoyed it, but lost interest.
>>
File: WGF-HM007-6.jpg (91KB, 625x480px) Image search: [Google]
WGF-HM007-6.jpg
91KB, 625x480px
>>51123094
>>51180076

Holy fuck this looks awesome, just bought the PDF. Cannot wait to convert up a raider force with these models, been waiting for an excuse to get them for something!
>>
>>51184774
Someone in the Facebook group did something similar, and I'd like to do it at one point as well. Add in the arms from the biker set, and ta-da!
>>
>>51184774
Yes it's a really good system, one that I hope to be able to get into
>>
File: wew.jpg (316KB, 1148x975px) Image search: [Google]
wew.jpg
316KB, 1148x975px
guys does anybody "play" this game?
Does it have rules?
or is this just series of collectibles
>>
>>51185535
It's not a game it's a model range.
>>
>>51185553
thanks anon
>>
>>51185535
Lewd, but I approve.
>>
>>51142715
>The stretch goals were probably the actual goals rather than the stated one
you'd think by now companies would realize that this is a terrible idea much of the time
>>
>>51119882

Mix of both if possible.
>>
>>51186362

With options for small skirmish AND mass combat
>>
>>51186378
Um, what?
>>
>>51186491
Anon is answering an post from Tuesday, and split it over two posts - bizarrely
>>
>>51186694
No, I'm asking how can a game be both small skirmish and mass combat without being bad at both?
>>
>>51187181
it will also work in all scales but particularly the ones you like, wash the dishes, provide full painted armies in your style or unpainted miniatures if you want to do them yourself, order pizza, give you a clean fresh-scented opponent who is fun to play against and doesn't mock your anime, and do butt stuff
>>
>>51146934
I swear is like anons are just looking for shit to complain and ways to make SG look bad.
>>
File: HOMBILarge.jpg (96KB, 456x485px) Image search: [Google]
HOMBILarge.jpg
96KB, 456x485px
I really wish this MDF company wasn't in Australia.

Or at least that they licensed their stuff to a good UK manufacturer or something.

http://miniaturescenery.com/ProductPage.asp?Code=HOMBI
>>
>>51187271
Sodapop games make themselves look bad
>>
>>51187181
Mantic Warpath: Firefight is a medium skirmish that scales up to full Warpath for mass battles, similar rules, same figures and stats but subtle differences

Warzone Resurrection is a skirmish game that scales up fairly well and can be modified for even bigger.
>>
>>51187556
The hell is Sodapop Games?
>>
>>51188005
When you say massive, do you mean 100+ miniatures?
>>
>>51187544
there used to be a store in germany that stocked them, but not anymore sadly
>>
>>51188005
Seconding this. Also keep in mind that Deadzone, a game that uses about a dozen figures per side, uses the same models as well. So you have three effective engagement sizes.
>>
>>51188030
This I think
http://sodapopminiatures.com/
>>
>>51188048
Yes to both games if you want
>>51190306
Agreed. The figures for Warpath and Firefight are usable in Deadzone (smaller skirmish game than Firefight) so you can go from 5-20 to 20-70 to 70 to over 100 with the same figures, but Deadzones rules aren't linked like Firefight and Warpath
>>
Page 9 bump.
>>
Battle reports when
>>
>>51194419
When I get home.
>>
What are some good small scale mini manufacturers? Like 6-10mm.
>>
>>51179129
those are some pretty fucking absurd bolt-ons
>>
>>51180076
Nice, that's good to know. I think I need to find a sci-fi club to play at, mostly been busy with historicals. I'd love to play a TNT campaign, either local Aussie Mad max style or just straight up New Vegas.
>>
>>51194843
Actually, what's the smallest scale ground based wargame with a somewhat large variety of models?
>>
>>51196609
Rogue star. You use what ever minis you want and its 4-6 minis per side. Rule book is like 13 on amazon.
>>
>>51196694
He meant small scale as in scale of the miniatures, not how many you bring to the table.
>>
>>51196694
I think anon wasn't talking the scope of the game, but the scale of the miniatures.

>>51196609
there are a few historicals that go as small as 3mm.
You'd really have to ask over on /hwg/ for the specifics though.
Games with warships obviously have even smaller scales, but I'm not sure if it still technically groundbased if it's on water.
>>
>>51196975
I'm just wondering what are some of the different small scale miniature lines are available.
>>
File: 1456175595300.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1456175595300.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>Dark Age has a new CORE starter box
Finally. Now I feel 100% better about picking up some stuff to give it a try.
>>
>>51198525
Dark what?
>>
>>51198621

Yeah this. What?
>>
File: A1yM3rzmqcL.jpg (1MB, 1914x2560px) Image search: [Google]
A1yM3rzmqcL.jpg
1MB, 1914x2560px
Well, my interest has been perked...
>>
>>51198525
>Dat Huntress
Makes me wish they had the Shadow Caste available during the Black Friday sale.
>>
File: Saint Mark_mounted_form.jpg (51KB, 720x468px) Image search: [Google]
Saint Mark_mounted_form.jpg
51KB, 720x468px
Game set on a bombed out planet. Factions are either hostile aliens, wayward robots, or various degenerated human societies. Technology is fairly rare and degraded.

Dark Age is a skirmish game. I've had trouble finding anyone that plays it, but I like the minis enough to risk getting a faction starter. If I can get some games in, great. If not, I have some neat models to put in my display case.
>>
>Be spartan games
>Release halo fleet battles
>Promise to release halcyon class light cruisers
>Never do
>Proceed to go dark about the whole game

Gee what a fucking surprise. Glad I avoided it like the plague.
>>
>>51198800
Based on the very good artworks of Brom. I believe he was involved in the early days before CMON took it on. But it's still the bedrock of the setting
>>
A word of advice if you ordered something from CMON during Black Friday... checked with them and turns out that my package had not moved at all from their post office in two months.

So if your stuff is taking too long to arrive, shoot them a message.
>>
probably slow as fuck but has anyone played this yet?

http://www.dp9.com/content/jovian-wars
>>
>>51194843
Baccus 6mm, Pendraken 10mm, Oddzial Osmy (picoarmor US, fighting15s UK distributors) 3mm - they do some SF now. Brigade Models (UK-based, not the US-based Brigade Games) do some sweet 6mm SF, including a new (licensed) Hammer's Slammers range.
>>
>>51196609
Brigade have Land Ironclads, which is IIRC about 2mm. Think Dystopian Wars, only more old-school sculpts. Aeronef provides the airships, LI's about giant fucking tanks.
>>
>>51149702
They plan to release Stronium Dogs first, so...probably never, given how little actual value the 2000AD has these days. The piddling number of grognards will not support a whole line of games.
>>
>>51166277
>3D-printing is utter garbage for the scale of miniatures

Most of the actual big names use CAD to print to master. If you only need to print the master model, 3D printing is absolutely possible and affordable for a company.

Now, if you're one of those morons who believe we'll be able to print out whole armies of casting-quality 3d printed models out of our home printers, you're as deluded as VRfags believing the current fad will be mainstream.
>>
>>51178695
It wasn't bianca, it was Marie Claude something. I wish Bianca promoted a game.
>>
File: Bild33.jpg (203KB, 750x1023px) Image search: [Google]
Bild33.jpg
203KB, 750x1023px
>>51204569
People have done that though. It isn't something that will go mainstream of course, but it is possible.
>>
>>51204569
>Now, if you're one of those morons who believe we'll be able to print out whole armies of casting-quality 3d printed models out of our home printers
right.
>you're as deluded as VRfags believing the current fad will be mainstream.
as the technology becomes more affordable for the average joe I do think it will be about as mainstream as Wii or whatever with the kinetic controllers. It's gimmicky and it has it's place.
I mean by now even the porn industry started shooting VR porn, so I don't think it's going anywhere.

But realistically speaking, as soon as google glasses and stuff like that becomes a thing, I believe AR will be way more important than VR.

VR also brings some problems with it in terms of spacial perception causing motionsickness due to the delay of your movement and movement on the display, so the technology is also not really so far along that it's viable as consumer product for the mainstream market.
>>
>>51200122
Yeah, but as they update old models, the model style is shifting away from the Bron-inspired artwork.
>>
>>51205224
I've yet to see a decently priced 3D printer that can put out something even close to miniatures quality.
>>
Page 10 bump.
>>
>>51171475
Weird War game by Wessex Games. Didn't have many minis to go with it, but it went well with North Star's Projekt Z minis.
>>
File: dag2406_huntress.jpg (119KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
dag2406_huntress.jpg
119KB, 600x600px
Bumping with Dark Age.
>>
File: 712744841f.jpg (31KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
712744841f.jpg
31KB, 550x412px
In Her Majesty's Name

It is 1895 and the world is in turmoil. The Great Powers compete for resources and the latest technology, and an undeclared and secret war rages between them all. This is battleground of the Adventuring Companies. These clandestine agents of the Great Powers operate in the shadows, matching skills and wits in pursuit of the newest scientific formulae or powerful occult artifacts. In Her Majesty's Name sets these adventuring companies against each other in one-off encounters and in longer narrative campaigns. Companies are usually comprised of just 4-15 figures and two players could easily play three games in an evening, making an on-going campaign a highly viable option. In Her Majesty's Name has been designed to allow maximum versatility for the player - if you can imagine it, the system will help you build it. There is, however, a wealth of material provided in the book, covering weird science, mystical powers, and a range of pre-generated adventuring companies, including the British Explorers' Club, the Prussian Society of Thule, the US Marine Corps, the Légion Étrangère, the revolutionaries of the Brick Lane Commune, ancient Egyptian cults, and the mysterious Black Dragon Tong.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jsulfe3ww8fph5z/In+Her+Majesty%27s+Name.pdf
>>
>>51212999
Paragraphs. Not walls of text. I aint reading all of that.
>>
>>51214327
Since I already downloaded it and skimmed it;

Steampunk skirmish, also with occult magic.

You play a small warband with a leader, a few specialists and some grunts. Highly customizable, the PDF contains several example warbands such as British treasure hunters, Prussian military + occultists, French Foreign Legion special unit, Chinese Triads, etc.

Missions revolve around objectives rather than killing enemy.

Bits of ideas for a campaign system scattered through rules, but rulebook doesn't contain a formal campaign system like Necromunda.

I think it looks pretty decent from a brief skim through. Warband construction seems a little simpler than Rogue Stars and miniature count is higher, if that's what you want.
>>
>>51215091
Also there are enough rules for mystic powers and artifacts to have Lovecraftian warbands mixed in with the steampunk; one of the sample warbands is a resurrected Pharaoh with his magic relics, and his mob of cultists and acolytes.
>>
>>51212580
Wish I could find a UK distributor for Dark Age, I really want to start collecting the CORE but all I can find is a few older models on elementgames.
>>
>>51216534
http://ebshobbies.com/dark-age-uk-distributor/
And their own online store as the only full stockist is:
http://empiregamestore.co.uk/product-category/dark-age/
Found with one Google search, admittedly I still think it's not the full range
>>
>>51217067
Yeah, they sell 3 CORE models and the old CORE Warband set. Compare that with the CMON CORE store page where there are 22 things on there. Mainly I want the new faction starter box and some of the cooler bigger ones.
>>
>>51217129
Email them. They seem fairly helpful. I tried to get my FLGS to stock both games but he didn't, which is a shame, but they at least tried and we had a good discussion about pushing games. He might be able to let you know what's going on and why there's no new stock
>>
>>51216534
>>51217067
>>51217129
>>51217234
I know it's not ideal, but CMON has flat rate shipping of $7. It may take time and you risk customs, but otherwise it's not that horrible.

Just wait till they do some kind of sale to offset potential customs fees.
>>
>>51125004
I actually have that book, and would love people to play it with.
>>51125056
is it actually any good? I keep getting that recommended to me.
>>
>>51215091
>>51215198
Sounds interesting. Thanks anon.
>>
>>51218445
>is it actually any good? I keep getting that recommended to me.

Rogue Stars? I like it. There's a thread for it over here >>51177953 and I think a download for the rulebook.
>>
Don't die yet /awg/ You're still short of the bump limit.
>>
>>51172956

Just buy from Hasslefree, you get candy plus personal notes and free stuff when they run late. Comfiest minis company out there.
>>
Does anybody have good pictures of skirmish games played at 15mm? I'm curious how playing with tiny, but individually based figures looks, especially on the potentially huge tables.
>>
File: sigilist.jpg (51KB, 203x256px) Image search: [Google]
sigilist.jpg
51KB, 203x256px
Can Frostgrave be played with sqare bases?

How big is Sigilist and apprentice figure base? Will they fit without triming on square WH one? How do they scale against GW?

Also, sorry to stir up shit, as I think I saw signs of some heated discussions...

Is Frostgrave a good game and are pods worth buying?
>>
>>51225431
Bases doesn't really matter in the game. I guess they might need some trimming, I'd simple remove that big hunk of useless metal manufacturers intend to put the figures on. They are approx. the same size.

It's a bland game. Figures are awesome tho, but do yourself a favor and get a game that's deeper.
>>
>>51225477
Truth to be told, I just think they make good Sisters of Sigmar to complimend my Skubheim warband. I just want to save myself whole evening (I don't have before club night) of filing.

Shame about FG. I really want to like that game, it looked so cool.
>>
>>51225538
Me too anon, me too. Even pre-ordered the rulebook but sold it rather quickly.
>>
>>51225431
>How do they scale against GW?
same scale give or take a milimeter, but proportions are different FG goes more towards shrunken down human anatomy (head = 1/7th of the model), GW has the "heroic scale" with large hand & heads and small everything else (head = 1/4th of the model). So they look a bit awkward next to each other and can't be kitbashed together very well.
>>
>>51225477
What game would you recomend?
>>
>>51225645
Otherworld, Rack&Ruin or Reaper's Warlord. The latter requires somewhat specific miniatures, but nothing that can't be bypassed.
>>
>>51225538
What didn't you like about it?
>>
>>51225692
I haven't been able to find a battle report of Otherworld. What does it play like?
>>
>>51225692
>>51225716
Honestly I think when someone is releasing a wargame they should post some battle reports of it on YouTube to show people what it plays like. I can't find battle reports of any of those.

I just got the Frostgrave rule book as I liked the wizard leading a warband theme a lot since I'm a big fan of both MoM and AoW. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I like it. I don't really have any fantasy models to try it out with. I might just try printing out some Chits to give it a try.
>>
>>51225716
Think it was asked recently - look for 7TV battle reports, it uses the same basic system.

Main points: you don't get to activate your entire warband in a turn, roughly half of it. Can boost your rolls with fate points you get at the start of the turn based on a dice roll. Magic is not really present (that's my biggest problem with it), undeads and demons need to be summoned, you can purchase wandering monsters from your points that might show up when opening chests, etc. etc.

Some things besides the lack of spells is the "you need this skill to use these weapons" even for some basic weapons, and the rather limited followers list - you have a single elf that can have either a bow or a spear, that's it. This is something I want to modify or scrap entirely as I have more than two types of goblins available.

Gameplay is pretty standard desu.

>>51225756
Otherworld is awfully underadvertised. It takes time to even find the pdf version of the rules as they are on some shitty third party site.

Tho plenty of reports can be found with the help of Google:
https://www.google.hu/search?q=otherworld+battle+report&gws_rd=cr&ei=YfZ7WKa9CIP1ave6t-AE
>>
>>51225840
I was looking more of a the type of battle report video where you can see the dice rolls and rules being used instead of a narration of the actions of the armies.
>>
>>51225431
here's a size comparison picture.
manufacturers are in the filename

It's somewhere between truescale and heroic.
Not quite as truescale as perry, but works well next to lord of the rings figures for example.
GW stuff is a mixed bag anyway, old perry sculpts are gonna look alright, new plastic are gonna look huge.
I've seen kitbashes that make it work though.
If you are clever about it you can get away with a lot of stuff.
Hands look too big? paint them dark, like your guy is wearing gloves. Makes them less prominent.
Mostly you just have to be consistent though.

The Frostgrave soldiers have padded arms and legs because they are ina frozen city, so you can stick a GW head on them and it looks okay, especially if it's one with a beard or helmet, which hides the scale of the head itself.
If you want to use GW legs or arms that kind of works, but you cannot go smaller than the padded arms and legs anymore. All the models in the warband need to look that way then. Can't mix historicals in there anymore.

Fireforge work well with the other FG minis, because they were all designed by the same sculptor.

>>51225538
>Shame about FG. I really want to like that game, it looked so cool.
Don't give up on it because one guy didn't like it. It has a pretty big community.
Just read the rules, they're in the OP.
Decide for yourself.

As for being bland: some people confuse deep with complicated. Chess doesn't have several races and special rules for each piece either, but it's deep alright.
Frostgrave leaves you a lot of creative freedom to customize your warband in theme and style, even though the rulebook is not several hundred pages long. Imo that's a good thing.
But first and foremost it is a campaign game with a focus on narrative.

Not something you can interest people in that enjoy competitive play. It has it's flaws of course, but nothing is perfect.

I'm gonna say if you are interested in roleplaying and wargaming alike this game might be for you.
>>
>>51226044
Bought that Sigilist anyway, Sisters of Sigmar are old GW and thus rather smaller...

So, are pods worthy or a person getting Frostgrave should be interested in it alone? Are they anything more than ready-made campaigns?
>>
Welp, Spartan finally updated the Kickstarter. Turns out it took them two weeks to set up the backer kit.
>>
>>51226345
>pods
I honestly have no clue what you mean. I googled but the only thing that came up were podcasts. These are free though. Maybe it's a new youth lingo thing and I'm dating myself here.

So are you talking about the expansions?
Lichlord, Breeding Pits and Forgotten Pacts?
Cause they each add campaign missions, but they also have stuff that let you customize your Wizard further and more magical items.

Lichlord gives you a new magic school, Frogotten Pacts gives you the ability to gain animal traits (grow wings or claws) and use more animal companions and Forgotten Pacts lets you make deals with Demons. You have to sacrifice something to your patron (gold or blood for example) before each game, but get can gain demonic traits in return. It also has a whole thing about cool magical tats and other bodymodification stuff that guys in your warband can do to buff themselves.

Hunt for the Golem has a campaign, but the other one of which I forgot the name has rules for Captains. A martial warrior that you can customize and level up similarly to your Wizard, just a bit simpler.
Frostgrave Folio should have all those in one handy book though and it's supposed to come out this month. So wait a little and get that before you get the mini-supplements.
>>
nump hump
>>
we're past the bump limit on page 10

Made a new thread before this one falls off the board

>>51229090
>>51229090
>>51229090
>>51229090
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.