[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

On Character Building

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: exnt_clln_Akihiro_Yamada_03.jpg (237KB, 1184x1675px) Image search: [Google]
exnt_clln_Akihiro_Yamada_03.jpg
237KB, 1184x1675px
I dunno where else to ask this, as /lit/ would probably flame it for being too low brow, and I trust /tg/ the most when it comes to writing compared to the likes of the more cynical /co/ and /a/.

So, when building a character with emotional scars/mental illness. How early would you say it'd be ideal to show that the character has them? So as to not come off as cliche or overly edgy?

I obviously mean within the context of an adventure story/monomyth.

I can elaborate more if need be. I have most of her character written, as well, as the plot outlined.

I should also note that the character isn't particularly edgy or lolsodeep, but rather, her scars play a role in shaping who she is, and also because I want an MC who is more of a fuck up than a Mary Sue
>>
>>50741674
Depends what the problem is
>>
>>50741674
>So, when building a character with emotional scars/mental illness.
Oh boy here we go.

>How early would you say it'd be ideal to show that the character has them?
That entirely depends on how you show it and how obvious your display is, the illness itself and whether you actually show it or "show" them by just telling the reader through the most obvious display possible that doesn't involve saying "Dave has Autism".

>So as to not come off as cliche or overly edgy?
You know that way you've seen that illness/injury shown on [well-regarded and critically acclaimed media source]? Don't do that, you're making a cliche even if it isn't already there. Also, watch other things that have characters like this, find ways that come off as cliche/edgy to you, and figure out what made you think they were cliche/edgy. Don't do those.

>I should also note that the character isn't particularly edgy or lolsodeep, but rather, her scars play a role in shaping who she is, and also because I want an MC who is more of a fuck up than a Mary Sue
I don't believe you but okay.
>>
>>50742665
>>50742734
>That entirely depends on how you show it and how obvious your display is, the illness itself and whether you actually show it or "show" them by just telling the reader through the most obvious display possible that doesn't involve saying "Dave has Autism".

I was contemplating kicking off the entire story with a dream sequence of showcasing guilt. One that's eerie, and feels very much like real life, before becoming into a nightmarish descent into insanity and then her waking up.

Something that showcases how she feels burdened and guilty by the loss of someone dear to her.

Her entire character arc is about self understanding, and seeking purpose in life, as she's someone rather aimless and purposeless overall. I contrast her by having some of the other central character being very driven characters with very strong and well-defined purposes in life.
>>
>>50744246

Mental and emotional scars are key, as her quest takes her to learn magic, etc... however, the way I've built my magic system is that I've made it so that gaining knowledge and learning arcane arts slowly makes you lose your sense of self the more you learn or the higher you scale (taking the peak levels of this to Lovecrafitan-inspired levels). Developing mental illnesses such as Paranoia, schizophrenia, bipolar, etc... as well as heightening said ailments is quite common with magic learning, the higher you go.

And since once finding purpose, her quest takes her in search of "the philosopher's stone" well, obviously she starts to suffer the consequences of all this.

In terms of character, she's not broody or emo (for the most part), in many ways, she's inspired by a friend I had who had bipolar disorder, as was very aimless herself, as well as the various experiences I've had witnessing schizophrenia and etc... with many members of my family. If we go by MBPT she'd be an ENFP, generally positive, outgoing, and impulsive character. And to compare her to fiction, she's somewhat similar to Asuka from EVA in terms of drives, as well as scars, but she's overall more positive in terms of personality, though due to being bipolar, she can be equally bitchy and standoffish, and can sink into Shinji-like depression.
>>
>>50744269

I was thinking that her bipolar should overall be minor and manageable throughout the story, but already triggered due to childhood scars (I keep going back on what exactly after writing something down, but I feel that the pain of loss might be the best way to go about it). She just keeps these scars locked away in the deep recesses of her mind, almost forgetting they even happened (hence why they crop up in dream sequence) but they start to unravel throughout the course of her journey.

Her arc focuses on her learning to cope with these problems, and well, her overall failure to do so based on how the story ends.

>You know that way you've seen that illness/injury shown on [well-regarded and critically acclaimed media source]? Don't do that, you're making a cliche even if it isn't already there. Also, watch other things that have characters like this, find ways that come off as cliche/edgy to you, and figure out what made you think they were cliche/edgy. Don't do those.

Well, I mentioned Asuka previously, and her mental breakdown sequence in EVA is something I really like, and something that will inspire later breakdowns on Cal's behalf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ0doO3VFjc

I've seen mental breakdowns irl before, and I feel EVA does a good job at kinda showing how they're like. Other films like A Beautiful Mind, and Shutter Island, etc... also do a good job imo.

Her scars start to kinda develop into a sort of schizophrenia, where she kinda sees the people who have died due to her fault, starting with the initial childhood scar, and adding on other characters close to her who died over the course of the story.
>>
File: 24006-aleni.jpg (612KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
24006-aleni.jpg
612KB, 1024x768px
>>50744340

I dunno what else to say, but I can further elaborate, as since she's my MC, I've got quite a lot on her.

The only thing I was not sure about was if I should start the story with a dream sequence or not. As that feels a bit cliche, but at the same time, I feel that not only is it might be important to establish this part of her early on, but also that I can get away with it since she's not an edgy character really. On the other hand, it is a rather long story, so there might also be better spots to show said dream sequence rather than right at the beginning, and wonder if it might be more effective later on, especially since I'm starting the story right at the adventure, as she's a more proactive character, rather than the usual monomyth trope of adventure finding the MC (she escapes from her society and the story starts after she's done so with a certain group on her trail as she's rather "valuable").

Oh yeah, and the whole story is kind of like taking the monomyth and its tropes and playing around with them to break conventions.

MC is Muse Calliope, muse of Epic Poetry, which I see as "inspiring heroes" of whom she meets various ones across her journey,
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.