[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DMs/GMs of /tg/ What are some of your favorite/most interesting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 17

File: character art apprentice wizard.jpg (26KB, 400x478px) Image search: [Google]
character art apprentice wizard.jpg
26KB, 400x478px
DMs/GMs of /tg/

What are some of your favorite/most interesting NPCs that you've used with players?

What were some of THEIR favorites that you introduced to them?

NPC thread
>>
>>45372080
I had a dog. He wasn't magic, he was just a dog who did dog things, like marking and barking when strangers approached. The players loved him for his utility, and he was pretty good at avoiding real danger when they had to fight. They ended up studding him out and making puppies for each of them to keep after the campaign ended
>>
>>45372155
Heartwarming.
My setting has a near extinct race of bird men, and one of the players is dead set on encountering them. I'm thinking about having him find an egg that's almost ready to hatch, and end up getting a young one to raise (they mature quickly compared to humans, and he's an elf at that).
>>
>>45372250
Could be good as long as it doesn't become a burden. They'll probably give it to an orphanage though
>>
>>45372250
Train him, to be a flying barbarian kid or a a flying rangers that can't be caught.
Or even:
>The flying druid, who transforms into an elephant in the air and falls on the enemy
>>
>>45372250
It would be heartbreaking if they get old fast aswell, and the PC sees his adopted bird son die at old age and he can do nothing about it... Or can he? That's up to you, Mr. DM.
>>
>>45372899
The barbarian would be fitting for reasons below. The druid would be great too since in this setting druidic magic is ancient and the bird people helped to develop it.

>>45372916
That would be possible since immortality is attainable through magic and one of the NPCs that will follow around/observe the players without interacting with them much is an immortal, but the Bird Men are genetically predisposed towards adventure and great deeds, as they feel a calling from their gods to die gloriously and believe that if they did great things, their gods will recognize them when they arrive in the afterlife and allow them to reside among them for eternity.

It would be like getting a dog that hopes to someday die in glorious combat against the cats.
>>
I am the jerk who uses my old PCs as NPCs, they are not so important but i feel good when i'm interpreting them again, even if he is some merchant or a drunk at a tavern.
Also, i like to reference a lot of characters and people in my games, like bowie and some game characters. I even stole the talking sword and the barbarian king from JourneyQuest... Well, my players liked it a lot... So job accomplished

But one NPC is special to me, Pandrough the bardbarian, an Half-Orc who is always at some tavern, and he only plays if someone asks him to, but everyone is afraid of him (but he actually is the nicest guy), so he stays quiet on the corner tuning his basstle axe.
>>
File: avian 01.jpg (130KB, 1280x740px) Image search: [Google]
avian 01.jpg
130KB, 1280x740px
>>45372971
(This is also why they are nearly extinct. In the great wars of the past, Bird Men died pretty disproportionately.)
>>
File: 1sc.png (208KB, 621x599px) Image search: [Google]
1sc.png
208KB, 621x599px
>>
>>45372995
Needs two extra arms and a weapon in each hand
>>
>>45372977
I like using old PCs as NPCs, it makes the world feel living and breathing. Things don't just go away.

Your traveling, intimidating Bardbarian is very inspiring!

>>45372995
what
>>
>>45372971
I'm the same guys for both replies.. Heh
But how the bird would know ancient druid traditions if he was raised but non birds? And treating him like a "battle dog" makes him kind of expendable, when i have NPCs accompanying the party i like to make the PCs (and players) to get attached to him, and them taking him aways from them to give motivation.
I would reccomend makijg the bird boy sacrifice himself for the party and making the party want revenge on what made him die.
>>
File: Magi Morgianna.jpg (17KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Magi Morgianna.jpg
17KB, 500x281px
>>45372080
I've made a trio of slave characters that serve a very important merchant-baron in our setting. One as a scribe/booker of sorts, another as a "domestic mage", and a final one as a bodyguard. Generally whenever player characters are working for this guy, one of the slaves is the ones actually handing them their orders. Serves as a good reminder for the players that the person they're working for isn't all-together a good guy.

The players have tried to "save" these characters soo many times too (especially the one who's female, cos you know, gotta save the helpless waifu bait)... but they're completely uninterested in being "saved". To be honest, as glorified servants, they actually have it ALOT better than most other people born into slavery in the setting. They're not out there dying in a salt mine or doing some other hard labor... and at this point servitude is all these characters know, so the idea of any other type of life is alien and somewhat terrifying to them. I kinda like the "perspective" they bring to the setting as it gives the players something to think about.

Idea totally not semi-stolen from pic-related.
>>
>>45373014
Feel free to use it, some of my friends also like to put Pandrough in their campaings aswell, he is like a legend among us, some say he killed a dragon with fast triplets slapping and a tarrasque with 80s funk, he also already put gods to sleep and beheaded many kings (most of this is just legends people of the tavern tell, every campaing adds a little more craziness). But in the end, he is just a bass player, most of the outside world don't recognize him, but the legends say that he is the one that "pull the strings" of the adventures.
>>
>>45373032
We're just exchaning (You)'s at this point.

He wouldn't know those things, nor have a particular affinity towards them. I'm just excited about the setting, and haven't gotten to play DnD in a long time, and enjoy that my players are mostly new to it as well and enjoying it. Tangents aplenty.

I do eventually plan to have the Bird sacrifice himself to save the PCs in some way, but I will not make it forced. The situation would have to be right, at which point I may fudge a roll or two. These players enjoy the randomness of dice, but also like a narrative.

>>45373041
Interesting to create characters that the players care for who will not accept their help, because it would not really be helpful to them.
>>
>>45373080
The stories absolutely make it. Your NPC has definitely made it into my campaign, anon. Thank you, I will use him well (but sparingly).
>>
>>45373101
Yeah, they tried to "save" the mage at one point by kidnapping her, at which point she was so horrified by the idea of having to live on her own (or live with a bunch of, from her point of view, suicidally stupid mercs who were risking their lives "adventuring", dungeon delving, and going after dangerous criminals) that she ended up starting combat and almost burning one of them to death during her escape attempt. Yeah... the party kinda let her be for awhile after that...
>>
>>45373119
The main rule is: he is just there, on his own, maybe he appears as a trumph card but it needs to be something REALLY big for him to appear.
Oh, and personality wise: he is chill, helpful and calm. Gives really straight forward advice and plays really good songs.
>>
A mercenary demon who liked to follow adventurers around, or wait outside dungeons and evil spooky castles and offer to help them in dungeons for payment.
Being a demon, sometimes the payment would be very severe depending on the job, but the demon was also very high level and well worth it.
He was good dungeon company, good humor and was very professional. He always had nice stories to tell around the campfire. But when it came to business, he was ferocious and would not stand for swindling or something skipping out on their payment.

It's happened a lot, where my PCs leave dungeons missing arms, eyes and children because of the demon's fees in particularly difficult dungeons
>>
There've been a couple that the players seem to have really enjoyed ineracting with, even if only for a little while.

First was the owner of an underground fight club who was basically an orcish Johnny Bravo, pompadour and everything. He was lucky the Monk was naive and innocent or he'd probably be a stain on the wall by now.

The other one they had a lot of fun with was an elf named Haggis; a black market dealer who dressed and spoke like a hill-billy and whose gold tooth changed positions everytime he smiled.
>>
>>45373268
>murderhobos give up their kids for loot

Sounds about right.

>>45373343
Excellent, these characteristics and attention to detail help me a lot.
>>
>>45373360
There was another one I had that the players "loved to hate", so to speak; Sir Billious Spoke, a noble who bested one of the party in an archery contest. He didn't rub it in his face or anything, but was that kind of sickening "over-freindly" that made you think he was. He was also a werewolf and tried to kill them at one point, and the rest of his family are all vicious horrors such as banshees and vampires, but that's neither here nor there.
>>
File: Mami_Tomoe_Anime_Design.jpg (132KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Mami_Tomoe_Anime_Design.jpg
132KB, 640x480px
>>45372080
I ran a game of Magical Burst once where one of the NPCs was a huge part of the plot.

For those who don't know, Magical Burst is a Magical Girl game based on Madoka Magica. In Madoka Magica, there's a character, Mami, who serves as a "mentor" for the other girls for the first part of the plot on account of having been a magical girl for awhile already and being more experienced than them.

I decided to semi-copy this in one of my games and introduced a character named Reina. Same situation, at least from the outside... she had been doing this longer than the players and kinda made herself their "mentor". Except Reina, unlike Mami, wasn't doing it out of altruism or wanting to protect them. Despite coming off that way, her real motivations were more along the lines of using the players as a proxies to fight her fights for her. The players didn't know it at the time, but Reina's own group had all died, and now she was terrified of fighting on her own, terrified of dying as they all had... but her contract wasn't "finished" until she managed to kill a certain number of baddies. Her motivation at this point had completely become getting credit for the rest of the kills she needed and getting out of this nightmare as quickly as possible, regardless of who she had to sacrifice to achieve that.

The party started catching on once their "mentor" tried to human-shield with one of them to save her own skin during a fight that was going particularly badly...
>>
>>45372080
In a murder mystery session for D&D, players tracked down an assassin I placed as a Red Herring in their search for the real assassin. It was a monster in disguise of a human using the cover of assassin for hire to feed its hunger for human flesh, and upon being "slain" it dropped the disguise, "I'll show you my real power" etc. cheesy shit and a respectfully exciting stage 2 fight goes down.

My. Players. Loved. Him. They immediately picked up and memorized the monster's real name, were hesitant on killing the monster because they enjoyed him so much, and even considered trying to resurrect and keep the monster and attempt to temper it. I honestly don't know why they liked this NPC so much(they were virtually obsessed), so I remember the case of this NPC very well.
>>
>>45372080
Made a sexy youthful librarian-like witch-like wizard for hire NPC, named her Julie. I played her as manipulative and self-serving in negotiating her services for the party. She ended up with a very large party-funded salary, room and board(they basically got her her own mage tower), and the party began to do various quests on her behalf, always with vague promises of courtship.

One day Julie died do to actions of the BBEG targeting the party in revenge, although it wasn't planned but more to the failings of the party. My players got really, really emotional.
>>
>>45373478
>character you just don't like
>you want to pretend you have a sneaking suspicion there's something wrong with him
>he's literally a monster

Perfect. 10/10 anon.
>>
>>45373041
Trios are nice... pairs are nice... any GROUPS of characters that can play off eachother is nice. I feel like GMs forget to do this alot with their NPCs, unless they're siblings.

Did you design them from start with the idea of them being a group in mind, or did it just sorta happen?
>>
>>45373832
I do want to introduce another group of adventurers that partially mirror the PCs, and hope to incite a rivalry that won't immediately result in murder.
>>
>>45373832
The idea started just with the bodyguard, but grew from there. By the time the game actually started I had finished my ideas for all three of them. And yeah, they do play off eachother, generally because their "master" is too busy with other things to be present much of the time the party is around, and he makes a poor sounding-board for their personalities anyway on account of them being afraid to talk back to him in any way. With eacother though, they're free to discuss things openly and give their opinions of the party (which in some ways they consider beneath them, despite being slaves, cos you know... disposable hired help that's constantly taking on suicidal dangerous jobs just for a bit of coin.).
>>
File: 10309-16474-32400.jpg (38KB, 542x403px) Image search: [Google]
10309-16474-32400.jpg
38KB, 542x403px
This thread is awful.

Reading over it, all of these NPCs are either gimmicks or one-dimensional. You're all shitty storytellers and I would not want to play in your derivative-ass games. Gross.
>>
File: Plebs can't ignore bait.png (42KB, 249x284px) Image search: [Google]
Plebs can't ignore bait.png
42KB, 249x284px
>>45373978
Don't do it guys.
>>
>>45372080
I have an Admiral I have introduced to the group a few times. She's extremely important to the setting at large, both in the fiction of the setting and the campaigns they have met her in.

The players enjoy her because she is a bad bitch who actively handles herself. I enjoy employing her because she manipulates them into all sorts of trouble, and they dig it all the way. One player is even determined to bone her, funny enough.

My favorite has to be the deranged pop star-spymaster combo, who has ears in every room in the Confederacy. She is pure chaos, and I always get to turn on some EDM when she shows up.
>>
File: d5c.jpg (36KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
d5c.jpg
36KB, 625x626px
>>45373978
Then give us an example of npcs done right, oh great and wise Anon.
>>
>>45373992
Thanks, almost responded.
>>
>>45373997
No problem, man.
>>
>>45373992
it's true though
>>
>>45372080
I use a LG/CN/NE pal20/wiz20/rogue20 who bears a curse that she can never (doesnt need) sleep and, after a run in with a god of insanity, has 3 personalities. Each personality has a class (the body as a whole benefits from hp and general stats, but not class specifics) and every 4 hours, they play musical chairs for 1 round to see who has control (will saves and such to determine). She also has amnesia about the other personalities so she can legitly be a paladin and not have to worry about the negatives.
>yes this is a bit autistic, but she is the head of a major church, a wizarding guild and a gang. makes it easy for questing.
>>
NPC's are the thing players enjoy the most in my games. For example, last game i finished, a player literally waifu'd a NPC.
And in the game im GMing now (a D&D5e campaign) i have enough material on NPC backstory and personality to make a dating sim (and i've recieved player encouragement to do so)

even if its unintentional i really enjoy when player's crush on NPCs
>>
A qt little tanuki girl (think loli Raphtalia from Shield Hero).
She's also mute, so everytime she has something to say it's mime time.
>>
In a pony RP that I ran, the players found another world that was beginning to bleed into the pretty utopia of Equestria; they were sent as delegates to explore it/make first contact with whatever sapient races were in there, which turned out to be these cat-like creatures that ran off of conflict energy, rather than harmonic energy like these pastel ponies.

The first one they ran into was a young student looking for her God-King who had gone missing for a good number of weeks; he had set up his nation well over the several thousand years of his life, so almost nobody noticed except those close to him, such as this student. She tracked him to the gateway between worlds, and got lost after that; she began starving in the harmonic world of Equestria, since she didn't have any conflict magic to feed off of, so she began stirring up conflict in the citizens by causing visionary dreams that set the more easily upset citizens of the world at each other, which is how the ruling princesses discovered something was amiss.

So here's where the players come in; the only requirement I gave them during character creation is that they had to fit into the world of Equestria as a whole, being good-aligned creatures, and their characters had to, for one reason or another, have taken a nap during the middle of the day.

So they all wake up together in a lucid dream; one of the dream guards assigned to the princess of the night (Luna, for any of you non-pony lovers out there) approached them, saying that the dream world had been quarantined, since they knew whatever creature had been causing these disturbances was in here, mid-transport; she could physically slip through space through dreams as well, mind you. By shutting off the dream world, nobody's consciousnesses would be able to return to their bodies; and so neither would the creature.

The players were guilty of being the perpetrator until proven innocent, so I let them loose in the dream world. (cont).
>>
File: sunny-and-somnus.png (261KB, 1052x480px) Image search: [Google]
sunny-and-somnus.png
261KB, 1052x480px
>>45374457
They come to the correct conclusion that the creature's probably hiding somewhere, waiting for night to fall, since once it does, so many dreamers will be trying to enter dream space that there'd be no way for the guards or the princess to track it, and then it'd be a lot more careful about its actions. So they try to hunt it down. They go to the fifth ring of dreams where everything's a physical fever dream; they actually take damage unless they're an experienced lucid dreamer, which none of them were. They try to lure it out with an image of one of the princesses, thinking that it might be some dark force attempting to eat their beloved rulers.

It takes a while (a long while, close to the end of the time limit anyhow) before this thing takes the bait. When it does, they jump on it and rip it back to the first ring of dreams, which is basically reality, but holding to dream logic. They get in a fight with this thing (which is a lucid dreamer, mind you, and abusing this power greatly) until one of them gets the drop on it by ripping an entire dream-tower and dropping it on it before it can get away.

Underneath the rubble is this comparatively tiny cat-thing with a bunch of tails, like a kitsune. They take it hostage, rip it out of the dream world and into reality, where they're taken in for interrogation and debriefing.

It turns out this cat thing doesn't want to talk to the guards, so they decide to try to get it to speak to some of the members of this ragtag group. It responds when the intellectual (ooc and in character) begins establishing basic cognitive patterns with it; math and the like. After a bit, it tries to speak, but it's a completely foreign sound to these pony ears, harsh and grating, discordant and shocking that it's even biotic. So they establish writing instead.

It turns out, as I mentioned in the first post, she's here looking for someone far more powerful than her, but whom she promises is a kind ruler, a protector. Somnus.
>>
File: worm horsemen terranic.png (195KB, 400x750px) Image search: [Google]
worm horsemen terranic.png
195KB, 400x750px
>>45374515
They agree to help her look, under the condition she remains under guard, and that they establish better understanding of this new race from another world. They try to track him down, but the trail runs cold at the portal; they postulate that maybe he went back into his own world, or simply doesn't want to be found. So they go through after getting permission from the princesses, with the explicit instructions to make a good first-impression on this new world, to be proper delegates for all that is Good and Harmony and Love (tm)

They go through with their demi-prisoner, whom already one of the players has taken a romantic interest to; Sunny's quick-witted, kind, demure, and intelligent; but mostly she's playing them for fools. She's not malicious, but this isn't the first time her species has come in contact with another, and every other time they've subjugated them.

So they go to the nearest town, introduce themselves as from a far, far town, and the residents mostly just shrug because it's plausible enough in this multi-racial world. They collect provisions, and begin heading towards the capital; if they make a big enough stir there, perhaps the God-King will show his face, and come out of hiding?
On the way, though, two things happen; they meet the Terranic Worms and Flicker.

Starting with the worms, it turns out the apocalypse is currently happening on this world; sure, these avatars of destruction rise every few hundred years, but usually one at a time- this one is early, and there's reports of another. Ridiculously big, with sandstorms of flesh and psychic screams that terrify the world around them, the players realize that this is a frustratingly large issue when it comes to exploring this world. They suggest going around it, but the scientist gryphon in the party opts to take all the explosives in this little mining town and go shove them, lit, down this thing's throat.

He succeeds with a few lucky rolls and his cautious means of approach.
>>
File: flicker-reference.png (68KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
flicker-reference.png
68KB, 600x480px
>>45374564
So they tell the town what they did, they're praise as heroes, the town begins ripping the giant beast apart for parts (but these things always return, so it's just a temporary relief), including the anti-magic plating, which a few of the characters get for makeshift shields.

At this point, they trust Sunny enough that she's been entirely unrestrained, and she's been a helpful translator/guide through this strange deserty world.

They decide to push their way towards the capital now, and on the way, run across an illusory oasis; rather, they find an oasis that was illusorily hid from view. They find a way through the barrier, and discover that at the bottom of the water is a little temple of sorts that's protected from the water flowing in. They enter it, and are shocked to find another one of these little cat-things lying on a magic runic circle of sorts; Sunny, their guide actually recognizes her as Flicker, another student at the university at the capital. So they wake her up.

Keep in mind I created this character on the spot. I had no intention of this going anywhere particular, but Flicker is now a full member of the party, a fully-fledged DMPC when I swore to myself that would never happen, simply because of how much they love this snarky little piece of crap.

They wake her up, and boy is she mad; she resists all questions, threatens them a few times, even tries to attack, so they overpower her and tie her up. They bring her to their camp up above, where she continues spewing profanities.

In the night, one of the characters, the diplomat (and militant pacifist deer) notices that Flicker's out of her bonds; the two cats have retreated a safe distance away to talk about the situation; Sunny calms Flicker down, slightly, and returns her to her bonds, Flicker agreeing to wait and see where this goes. The deer says nothing to the group.

Eventually they untie this snarky furball as a show of good will, since they're supposed to be a delegation.
>>
>>45374457
>In a pony RP

stop
>>
File: flicker and cricket.jpg (93KB, 546x604px) Image search: [Google]
flicker and cricket.jpg
93KB, 546x604px
>>45374647
As the forever DM, I do have to cater to my players, but I did my best to keep it interesting, to provide the players with real challenges, to question their morality and make them make hard decisions and sacrifices. We did the full campaign over six months, I consistently had 7 players show up, everybody enjoyed themselves (I've had many of them compliment me on my DM skills) and we've started another campaign with the elite of the last group, with the same characters, continuing the same world. If I took advice every time told me to stop liking a thing, I wouldn't have had this wonderful time, cemented as many friendships, or have learned as much as I did as a DM.
>>
>>45374647
Isn't there a containment board for pony shit?
>>
>>45374668
Tony Stark built a power suit while being held in a cave, that didn't make the Al Qaeda that captured him not bad people.
>>
File: somnus-king-of-blood.png (269KB, 1052x480px) Image search: [Google]
somnus-king-of-blood.png
269KB, 1052x480px
>>45374643
Once she's walking around with them, Flicker immediately tries to take charge, butting in wherever she could, always trying to have a major say in decisions, being shockingly dark and blunt and always trying to back it up.

The players loved it. One of them took her on as a rival, the two of them always trying to one-up the other, whether it be in combat tactics or drinking games at festivals. She now sits in her position of command in his saddlebags, which are stuffed full of prepared destructive spells and a few emergency teleports.

They get to the capital, realize they could make a fortune off of the goods here that their homeland doesn't have, they make a makeshift caravan, and go back to their home world while waiting for governmental process to happen. In this time, the end-of-the-world plot continues, but with just a there-and-back trip, each of the characters is set for life.

They realize time's coming to an end, though, and they begin to understand why the God-King left. The red sun of the world's about to supernova, and he needs a new home for his people. Turns out Equestria was the candidate. His extremely militaristic society would likely curbstomp the hippie ponies, and while that won't do, they've grown fond of the cats, and now they're torn between their coddling culture of birth and the harsh yet realistic culture of self-improvement these cats have.

And these two NPCs they've been lugging around don't seem to help the case; Sunny speaks out against her leader's intended plan, thinking that there must be a way for the two societies to co-exist, but Flicker is all over this upcoming war. She thinks war would be good for Equestria, to wake it up to a real threat that isn't just another primordial darkness rearing its head only to be beaten down by the whack-a-mole process the princesses use. Whoever win would be the worthy victor of the land, and would be subject to the other race. As a plus, anybody who died on either side wouldn't eat.
>>
>>45374739
>>>/mlp/
>>
>>45372080
Every major character had their own theme song. Sometimes I'd find nice instrumental tracks that inspired a character.
I had a guy, shifty merchant, name was Slovenly Yusef. Had a really funny middle-eastern kind of theme. Had a habit of wringing his hands together when selling stuff.
His icon was the /pol/ Jew Comic.

Also had a Ghoul who had a spy ring around the city. Only ate bodies that were dumped in the sewers and gangland violence victim. Name was Rakim. He talked with a real gravelly slow voice and the party loved him for some reason.

Also had a BBEG named Cedrick. Really cool guy, theme song had a woman wailing then a super serious drum track. They loved him despite him being pretty one dimensional.

Best NPC of all time though? Generic Archer was the first person who scored a hit on the party face. Did like 16 damage with an arrow to the chest. They tore through that place but the archer got away.
Next battle. I didn't even think of it. Cedrick had an archer NPC. He managed to escape as well.

Archer NPC became a reoccurring character. "Benny the Bow". Loved to taunt the party, get a few dope arrow shots and then run away. Got a theme song that was surf rock.
>>
File: JBtOj6I.jpg (481KB, 2937x2203px) Image search: [Google]
JBtOj6I.jpg
481KB, 2937x2203px
>>45374750
I would, but I'm talking about ca/tg/irls. I'm hardly even talking about ponies, I just used it as context. This is the board for traditional gaming, I'm answering the OP's question about long-term NPCs.

>>45374739
To make matters more unclear to the players, Flicker is the apparent leader of a cult that has been planning a coup against Somnus, their king, for years; she wants control of his empire, believing he's grown too complacent on his throne, and isn't willing to do what's necessary to improve his people's lives. That he's too kind to the slave-races.

Sunny, on the other hand, loves the king, the emperor, and knows his heart is well-intended, but hates the empire. The pony society is exactly the type she's been looking for all her life. If only she can convince him to take a less aggressive approach, to be humble and be a migrant, rather than a conqueror.

Eventually the players make it back to the portal. Somnus is there, waiting for them. He's been watching, he knows that time's running short, but he wants to limit casualties on both sides. He's willing to talk it out, but he's stubborn and proud.

They have to restrain Flicker from ripping his throat out then and there, and Sunny does her best to talk Somnus down, but that only works so well.

So what do the players do? They basically place a psychic beacon right here, at the gateway between worlds, and call all the world-bringers in on this little meeting. Somnus had destroyed them, driven them back at the beginning of his rule, but now he had to face them as equals.

Through some ridiculous diplomacy, the party managed to convince these worms to help shuttle all the cat-creatures (and their subject races, much to Somnus' disdain) to the new planet in the same solar system as Equestria. Then the worms would have the dying planet to themselves, as they wanted, Equestria could maintain the trade route, the players could keep their new NPCs, and Flicker would have another chance at regicide.
>>
>>45374782
Also a few more, I guess.

Kraten Longtooth was the only orc on the council of nobles that ran the city.
His son, Kraten Longtooth Jr. was the leader of a gang that was more of a militia that ran the city's dock and was pro-orc, pro-union and pro-worker's rights. Saved the party from a gang of Tieflings once and used it to get them to strongarm a few factory owners for him.

Kraten had a bodyguard. Big hairy half-giant, carried what was basically a copper baseball bat. Had a big metal plate on his bald head. Name was "Lil' Naitch" for no reason other than I couldn't think of something cool and really like pro wrestling.
>>
File: 8LSFF7g.jpg (510KB, 2937x2203px) Image search: [Google]
8LSFF7g.jpg
510KB, 2937x2203px
>>45374804
This was all the results of a long-term campaign with these players. Their characters grew an awful lot, as did this unwitting DMPCs. The new campaign has a three-way war between Equestria, an old empire rising from the depths of the world, and the currently neutral, leaning opportunistic Russia cat creatures. In this new circumstances, with strained relations coming to fruition, Sunny is leading a faction of loyalists, Flicker another faction of separatists, and Somnus holding back the main forces until he sees what's best for his people.

This is the most fun campaign I've ever run. Choices have meaning. People advance, and change. The world twists and turns in response to the actions of the players. And we all smile and share food and memories while doing so. It may have started as the cringiest of ideas, but I've proven to myself all it takes is an open mind, and a quick-witted, strong-willed DM to turn trash into treasure, and I'm better for it.
>>
>>45372080
Favorite NPCs... As a DM, I don't have any that come to mind, but the party has a few they enjoy-

>Earnest Magellan, mutton-chopped muscle wizard. Disappeared 10 years ago to seek further enlightenment.
>John Longbrow, used boat salesman who failed out of bars college and turned to thievery. Sacrificed himself by fending off a squad of Iron golems so the party could rescue the princess.
>Verril, gnoll runt raised by a paladin, fell in love with a noblewoman and that didn't end well so he eventually turned to piracy. Currently hired out by the party to ferry them over the sea.

All that come to mind.
>>
One of my favourite NPCs, and that my players seemed really interested in as well was a "cleaner" type character for Eclipse Phase named Silver.

He was a total shameless GMPC, but since I only used him as a supporting character in one adventure I got away with it.
The idea was he was all about protecting the "human" part of "transhumanity", and who cares about those calamari guys or virtual people.
I honestly think his interactions were the first time my players really got the concept of "He's on our side, but that doesn't necessarily make him a 'good guy'" which is exactly what I wanted to get across.

They also seemed particularly taken by an over-enthusiastic agent named Cam who was sleeved in a dragonfly-pattern synth, and a Regular Joe hypercorp grunt who by pure chance survived alongside them and kind of shacked up with the Scum Bitch PC after a mexican standoff and a few running gun battles together. Love can bloom on the battlefield, apparently.
>>
>>45372080
A simple, city guard, who smiled at my PC's when they entered the town. They drunk with him at the tavern and became friends : this NPC gave them work for the city to do.

The second one is a kobold, and one of my player took him to be her squire.

I prefer the city guard, but the kobold is nice to roleplay, since people are not used to see one in a city.
>>
>>45372080
In a Dark heresy campaign I was running, the acolytes' inquisitor called in a favour owed to him by a rogue trader to A) get the acolytes to Scintilla ASAP and B) impersonate the rogue trader and his entourage to infiltrate the 'shepherds of commerce' an annual weeklong meeting by representatives of all the mercantile powerhouses of the Calixis sector. Long story short, and because it seemed like something a bored Rogue Trader would do, the RT Algon Cesario locked the Inquisitorial agent up aboard his ship and impersonated him, acting as their liaison and guiding the acolytes frankly hilarious attempts at acting like the rogue trader and his wife.

But yeh, the players loved him when he was Brutus, and when he revealed his identity and drew a power sword on the big bad they thought he was the bees knees (don't worry he wasn't a DMPC, Algon got the SHIT kicked out of him so the acolytes had to finish the job, but his speech was pretty)

But yeh, he's a recurring character now and the players love it everytime they hear that the Recipis Lucrum is in orbit with its master aboard.
>>
I have two PC's survived by their children as NPC's in any setting I write.

First is Brusande, son of Mullrande. Mullrande started his life as a slave, and after staging an uprising against the men who held the whips, founded his own mercenary / emancipation company. He died an old man, and ascended as the new herald of the setting's God of freedom. Brusande makes his humble living as a bard and history keeper. He wrote the histories of his father, and the stories of Mullrande are among the most popular he tells in taverns.

Then there's Damien and Violet Alysasson, the children of Dirk Alysasson. Dirk was not much more than an old farmer out of his depth in a cruel and violent world, but remained one of the most enjoyable characters I played. Violet is some minor noblewoman, married for love and approved for the deeds of her father, and Damien a knight who feels out of place, often joking that he's just the son of an old farmer. Damien took a scythe reaping three stalks of wheat as his personal insignia for respect to his father.
>>
I bring in a new NPC in every dungeon I make. My first one was an Half-Orc blacksmith with a greathammer, another was a Spider Woman Queen who ruled over a kingdom underground and for my next dungeon I'm making a goblin who can't even goblin right. I've also made a few other NPCs on the fly. Those three are just the ones who will probably be recurring.
>>
>>45372080
>What are some of your favorite/most interesting NPCs that you've used with players?

A street child who was also a pushy opium dealer. The players saved him from having his arm cut off (for being a thief), so he offered to give them free drugs. The players declined.

An crazy octopus man who was absolutely convinced he was Davy Jones. He sailed around in a crappy ship called the Floating Norwegian, which was manned by barely sapient fish people who responded to everything with "uh" and fixed holes in the ship by laying down on top of them.

>What were some of THEIR favorites that you introduced to them?

A mutant owlbearman from Peru who sold coffee. For reasons I cannot understand, the players were instantly enamored with him.

The head of the royal guard of the kingdom of not!Arabia, who accompanied the players on a mission into the desert to clear out some bandits. The players liked working with him because of his usefulness in combat and his sense of honor.
>>
>>45378203
Honorable authority figures are always fun, especially when the player is expecting them to all be incompetant or corrupt like most modern-day American police forces.
>>
Sir Oinksalot, a former powerful eldritch knight who was cursed by a god into the form of a small pot-bellied pig, he is very wise and ive had him appear in various campaigns dispensing advice and quests
>>
>>45374457
>>45374515
>>45374564
>>45374643

Holy shit it just keeps on coming

On a PnP RPG board I am still surprised by this much autism
>>
>>45374782
I like yours, so far. Slovenly Yusef made me kek, and your characters just seem very chill.
>>
Papa wolf.

Just a big old lupin that was in the PC's base/fav inn, cooking the characters' fav dishes and playing cards with them when they came back
>>
>>45378234
I think I caught them off guard, as they usual assumption (for players, at least) is that when the king is an evil dick is that everyone working under him is also an evil dick, when in reality its mostly just people doing their jobs.
>>
The closets the DM's ever had to making a DMPC is a dude named Thedrin

Old, sarcastic necropolitan looking motherfucker who never smiles, and always seems to judge you silently. He comes and goes like batman, and seems to be some sort of utility wizard.

He never fought, but instead served as a messenger and secretary for anonymous benefactors, kings, bbegs, dragons, demons, angels, and sometimes the party.

Whenever an imp popped up from out of nowhere, and said that Thedrin needed to meet us nearby, we always went, because it was always both lucrative and enlightening.

In retrospect, He was probably some Gods avatar.
>>
>>45374804
I am op.

>>>/mlp/
>>
I had a npc wizard that lived in an unimportant tower in an unimportant area. My pc's went in to loot his tower for shits and when the Thief failed his sneak roll and got caught he was just out of sight of the rest of the pc's. He cast a hold person and a silence spell on the Thief and pleaded for his life during the spell's duration. The Thief reflected on his back story and realized that he was playing a ng like a ne. It got really feels.
>>
File: 1454371549791.png (158KB, 600x588px) Image search: [Google]
1454371549791.png
158KB, 600x588px
I like this NPC of mine because he's just a fun character to roleplay in a double british accent and allows me to make all the skeleton puns that I can think of.

The players like him because for a skeleton he's surpisingly helpful and humerus.
>>
>>45372080
>my favorite
a man who received a shard of a dead god upon said gods death, which drove him insane and semi immortal.

>my players favorite
The only NPC where they ever said something definitive about an NPC I put in a game was when years ago, I injected Crazy Hassan in a game of Hunter the Reckoning as this black marketeer who never got the players what they want and usually the exact opposite of what they wanted, so a mustang a player wanted became a mini cooper or a .50 caliber sniper was just about anything except a .50 caliber sniper
>>
File: gypsyend.png (289KB, 1366x1175px) Image search: [Google]
gypsyend.png
289KB, 1366x1175px
>>45372080

Pic related is one of my most memorable NPCs I ever used with players.
>>
>>45372080
A lich, living in a small, wooden cabin in the forest. His garden is neatly trimmed and always filled with an array of beautifully blooming, fragrant flowers. He created his phylactery by accident, but is too affraid to destroy it. His children and wife has long since passed, and to cope with the lonelyness, he started keeping a small beehive. In his ribcage.
He's described as a very nice, grandfatherly skeleton that always has honey-based treats ready for the rare occasion visitors come to visit him, and he's given the PC's some low level quests (trim my garden, gather some herbs, sell my honey on a market), and has just given the first high level quests (which absolutely isn't infiltrating the mafia to sell some potent narcotics he grows in his garden). The PCs always look forward to them visiting him again.
>>
>>45381892
Bro moar
>>
In a star wars eote one shot a rodian ex-slave thief who is really addicted to glitterstim. He didn't speak basic so to talk he used a translator that he was always forgetting to use (especially under the influence). When he helped them in combat with a heist they had to do he just started blowing stormtroopers away, however I had some plot stuff happen and separated him from the group and they just heard blaster fire. Thinking of tossing him into the campaign I'm planning.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.