[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5e General - Erinyes Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 362
Thread images: 30

File: devilErinyes.jpg (78KB, 736x1012px) Image search: [Google]
devilErinyes.jpg
78KB, 736x1012px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>OGL and SRD for 5e
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

>February Unearthed Arcana is Psionics
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/Psionics_and_Mystic_V2.pdf

So my players just killed a Erinyes and I'll give that sword for one of them, they decided that the Paladin will get it, I want a good curse to be in that sword, which would be a good curse to a longsword with extra poison damage?
>>
Reading the DMG Errata and it restates that like effects on a creature don't stack but just take the higher value -

Would a Paladin with [Divine Favor] cast use [Divine Smite] and roll the 1d4 Radiant Damage for DF plus the #d8 Radiant Damage for DS or just the #d8? Or does this rule just mean that you can't stack similar DoT on something?
>>
>>45302231
I think it pertains to multiples of the same effect. For example, if two casters cast Haste on the same target, it would only take effect one. Though adding a die of radiant damage is similar, they come from separate sources, and thus both apply.
>>
So I feel like my pc that is in the group right now doesn't have a reason to be in the group anymore and I had an idea for a new character but he wouldn't fit into the campaign at this point too. What should I do about this? Just reroll a new character to play for a while until other people want to do a new campaign?
>>
Thanks to the person who recommended www.dmsguild.com/product/170851/Class--Shaman this thing a thread or two back. It's seriously fun.
>>
>>45302361
I have the same issue, I talked to my DM about it and he seemed iffy on me playing a new character, almost avoiding my question entirely.

But yeah, just talk to your DM about playing a new character. Maybe come up with a story about how your original character had plans to leave the party to go do something else, that way he's still alive in the world somewhere and he doesn't have to 'dissapear'.
>>
>>45302231
The errata's edition is specifically about effects with the same *name*, not like effects.
>>
So how's Pyramid of Sorcerer's Isle as an adventure?
>>
tl;dr What are suggestions for making a soul-stealing sword both balanced (players are currently lvl 7) and cool / unique

Long story, I created a sword that is supposed to act like the key in a Shadow of the Colossus style storyline, in which the PC's are going to be tricked into collecting the pieces of an Elder God/Demon and using the Sword / Key to revive it.

It was more or less based on Blackrazor, with it's THP granting ability.

Then I recently discovered Elric and Stormbringer (thanks to a few /5eg/'s ago) and realized the sword I made is pretty much exactly the same.

What's a neat twist on future powers granted, behaviors, or plot twist based on this info?
>>
>>45301996
First: is the curse a means to punish the player, or to balance an overpowered magical item? Supposing not a punishment (because why the fuck would you dick them over for actually achieving something), why not simply tone down the magical effect a little?

Secondly, why would an Erinyes, of 14 Int and 14 Wis, willingly wield a cursed item into battle instead of one that perhaps isn't cursed?

Supposing you either have responses to the above, or just don't give a fuck, I'd say that I can only imagine the Erinyes wielding an item whose effect it is immune to. Erinyes are immune to poison and fire. Perhaps throw on an effect that inflicts damage of one of these two types on the paladin whenever it inflicts the bonus poison damage, as a sword that also cuts into its user for the sin of killing.
>>
I need historical examples of small river/coastal towns that thrived on trade, but had a relatively small population (and correspondent wealth).

That is, imagine the 1,000 resident equivalent of Venice, with trade power and influence scaled down accordingly. What would a town like that be like? I'm looking for examples.
>>
While I do not want to reach for the campaign's manual that we're playing with, in order to evade me spoilers, I'd like to ask what kind of stuff or creatures could we find on a tomb-themed dungeon, and how would my group be able to deal with each one of them, just for player knowledge. We really do get shitty rolls to save our asses, and we might get killed if we blindly rush in.
>>
>>45303193
Mummies, wraiths, liches, demi-liches, skeletons, wights, ghouls, crawling claws.

Anyone have tips for keeping up / mapping out multiple plot threads and character storylines?

I have like one major plot for the region, and I've tied a few of the characters backstory together through that, but I've got like 5~6 other threads, as well as some actions that my players have taken in the past that I want to tie that in to upcoming events.
>>
>>45303193
Ask your GM, if he isn't a fucking cunt like my last two ones who don't say you shit and you find yourself as a rogue fighting undeads only, he'll tell you.
>>
File: 1452476334269.jpg (57KB, 960x949px) Image search: [Google]
1452476334269.jpg
57KB, 960x949px
>>45303261
This anon here >>45303251 pretty much answered the likely creatures I'd expect, thank you both. Guess I'll have to abuse the group's paladin once again to spam the fuck out of Detect Evil and Smites
>>
>>45303261
>rogue
>fighting undead
that's what I like about 5th edition, rogues are shit out of luck in most tombs.

>>45303193
I think you're playing Out of the Abyss, yeah?
The DM can probably use some underdark denizens to swap things up, but most tombs will probably have what >>45303251 said.
>>
>>45303327
Princes of the Apocalypse, my group just left the Necromancer's Cave, and they got information on the tomb when I stepped out of Red Larch. Though they did speak of the Underdark as players, which interested me as a newly started roleplayer.
>>
>>45302361
One of my players wanted to switch to a different character, so he told me and we cooked up a way to fit his new guy into the campaign, then killed off his old one in a glorious, ridiculous accident involving a staff of disintegration.
Let your DM know and he can probably help you with it.
>>
>>45303327
Why would you like a generally bad class being SoL ever?
>>
>>45303380
Not him, but 2/3s of Rogue players tend to be decide to roleplay the most frustrating Rogue stereotype to have in a party anyways. Good riddance, in my opinion.
>>
>>45303380
>are SOL
mean't aren't.
rogues get SA on some undead now.
>>
I'm gonna be running a game soon, and there's a strong possibility that it will be a "low level" focused narrative where the players are and should be feeling weak for a while. Are this anything I can do to reflect that other than tossing situations where they have to retreat and adjusting the exp table?
>>
>>45303557
how about environmental challenges? exhaustion for instance
>>
>>45303557
Sounds pretty shit desu
>>
I know you can drag around grappled targets with you when you move, but what about shoving them around while you stand in place?
>>
>>45303754
RAW nah. Shove let's your shove an opponent to the ground. Work with your DM on throwing grappled enemies.

In my game (I'm DM), we ruled it to where on a contested strength check, a success will throw the enemy 10 feet (two spaces) and they fall prone. On a fail, the grapple is broken. Natural 1 on the thrower, means the thrower is now grappled. Natural 20 increases 5 feet and damage on the shove.
>>
>>45303878
Well I didn't mean pushing them away or throwing them, but shifting them from one side of you to the other. You could move yourself to get them over there, but it's not obvious if you could spend movement to shift them around.
>>
>>45301996
What would be the tenets of a sword saintish oath paladin?
>>
What would a lawful evil character look like? In my next campaign I'd like to try out a lawful evil character with the goal of becoming a cult leader. A lawful evil type character would be strictly adhering to a personal code of conduct, correct?
Also, can an evil character be wholly convinced they are doing good? It's awfully hard to justify being an evil character, almost nobody in real life considers themselves to be evil, people want to believe that they're the good guy.
>>
>>45303920
Ahhh, gotcha. I think from what I've seen, the majority of people tend NOT to use movement space to maneuver them from one adjacent square to another, just opposed strength checks.
>>
>>45304147
Do good
do good with your sword
dont use your sword when its not good
dont go evil
>>
About the Erinyes sword, the players killed one, I want to be a sentient sword and I want it to be cursed, the character that got it is a Paladin. Ideas about the sword personality and it's curse.
>>
>>45304660
It cant be sheated without spilling blood.
>>
>>45304708
>>45304708
Love that curse. Based off an old viking or saxon or icelandic folk tale or something right? The name Hrunting keeps coming to mind, but I think that's Beowulf's sword.
>>
What if the sword must spill blood, if the character miss the hit the sword deal him half of the damage?
>>
>>45304775
I was thinking about Muramasa, but yeah, its a pretty common curse.
>>
>>45304263
Hitler
>>
>>45304147
bump
>>
>>45305788
Depends. What do you thinks makes it a "swordsaint".
>>
File: 1453942594976.jpg (1MB, 1000x1412px) Image search: [Google]
1453942594976.jpg
1MB, 1000x1412px
I'm planning on running a high magic campaign in the future and I plan on some of the big cities having magic shops so my players can buy magic items. What prices would you suggest I use for the different rarities of the magical items?

The DMG has the prices listed as follows:
Common - 50 - 100gp
Uncommon - 101 - 500gp
Rare - 501 - 5,000gp
Very Rare - 5,001 - 50,000gp
Legendary - 50,001 +

The prices for the common and uncommon are simple enough but the gaps between prices get very big when the items are Rare and higher. Is there a chart for recommended prices? If not, what would you suggest?

I don't plan on having the shops sell legendary items.
>>
Would a -str modifier have a damage effect on finesse weapons?
>>
>>45305823
Can't help you with specific prices, but bear in mind that some magic items have better effects than others of higher rarity. For instance, there was a discussion a while back about how the rare Vicious Weapon has a provides a statistically worse increase in overall damage than a simple Uncommon +1 Weapon.

With that in mind, you may want to deal with players' requests for items on a case-by-case basis.
>>
>>45305990

> ...you use your choice of your Strength or Dexterity modifier for the attack and damage rolls. You must use the same modifier for both rolls.

Only if you're using strength to make the attack.
>>
File: Sleet Storm.jpg (193KB, 376x380px) Image search: [Google]
Sleet Storm.jpg
193KB, 376x380px
If a character has Darkvision, can it see through Sleet Storm?
>>
>>45305990
Nah.
Only if the wielder had a DEX modifier lower than STR.
>>
>>45306139

I don't think that makes sense. Low-light conditions are just one example of obscurement. That doesn't mean obscurement=darkness. Also, realistically, having lots of rods in your eyes won't help you see through opaque foliage
>>
>>45306139
The area is heavy obscured, like darkness
You can see in darkness as if it were dim light
Therefore can see through sleet storm as if it were dim light
>>
>>45305810
show me what you got
>>
>>45306139
Not remotely. Darkvision doesn't let you see through "highly obscured areas", it lets you see through dark. What makes you think it would let you, anyway?
>>
>>45306238
No.
>>
File: dragonbornpaladin.png (825KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
dragonbornpaladin.png
825KB, 900x900px
Do you guys think pic related is a great name for my next character or the best name for my next character?
>>
>>45306238
The area isn't heavily obscured like darkness.

It's heavily obscured because there's so much rain and sleet that it physically blocks your vision. Darkvision doesn't help against that.
>>
>>45306283
>Not Torque (Construction Noise) Lewith
>>
>>45306250
I have nothing. All you said was you want a swordsaint. No one knows what you want. Are you just so uncreative you want other people to make fluff for you, and slap "swordsaint" on it? Because you're in the wrong hobby.
>>
>>45306255
Well I don't know. Maybe the rain and sleet darkens the area?
>>
>>45306376
show me what you got
>>
>>45305788
final fantasy,animeor pathfinder?
>>
>>45306283
Let's see what the dice say.

"dice+2d6"
>>
>>45305823
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8XAiXpOfz9cMWt1RTBicmpmUDg/view
>>
>>45306120
>>45306142
alright, thanks. just double checking
>>
>>45306378
No, the rain and sleet obscure the area. Under heavily obscured it says "such as darkness, opaque fog, or dense foliage". None of that says all heavily obsucred areas are darkness, those are just 3 examples of heavily obscured areas. Darkvision allows you to see through darkness. That is the ONLY heavily obscuring thing you can see through. Because you know what else heavily obscures things? Walls.

The stretch you are making is "darkvision lets you see in the dark, darkness heavily obscures an area, therefor, I can see through all heavily obscured areas."

That logic makes 0 sense.
>>
>>45306345
>>45306283
>Donkey Teeth
>Ibrahim Moisoos
>Dan Smith
>>
>>45305823
Roll dice. A "common" magic item has an MSRP of 1d4*50gp, an "uncommon" magic item has an MSRP of 1d5*100gp, etc. Items that are priced above the floor value for their rarity may benefit from haggling, coupon-clipping, factory incentives, and such.
>>
>>45306376
Show us what you got!!!!
>>
>>45306389
>>45307180
Play Devotion. Use a sword. Congratulations.
>>
>>45307258
SHOW US WHAT YOU GOT!
>>
>>45307298
I did.
>>45307258
>>
>>45307258
C'mon, show us.
>>
>>45306389
>>45307298
>>45307180
>>45306250

I'm starting to get the impression that what you're really asking for is dick pics.
>>
>>45307330
Well....?
>>
Does anyone know a good place to look for how to figure out demolitions? I'm trying to figure out how to convince my players to blow up a pass carved out of the mountain, but I'm not really sure how to figure out charges when the explosives stuff I can find in the DM guide seems to be more of the offensive variety.

Should I just.. wavy-hand some stats for posts along the corridor and apply whatever blast damage the dynamite or whatever they use would do?
>>
Working on an 'arcane' half-caster homebrew, and have been extensively going over the Paladin and Ranger to make sure I balance it well with other half-casters. I am now convinced that the weakness of the Ranger class stems from neglect. They just didn't care when making that class.
>>
>>45307445
I wouldn't bother with a stats at all.
>>
Ok I need evil minion advice for a high lv LE Warlock using True Polymorph to create an army of the most loyal minions. I need some recommendations on the best loyal minions to create especially considering how to keep them loyal after the control of the spell ends. I as thinking Scarecrows outta the MM but something more beefy would be great
>>
>>45307579
He has a group of master stonecarvers carving giant, monstrous statues for him, and brings those to life. As for why they stay loyal? You are not a player. Your Big Bads can do whatever you want. Just have the loyalty from the spell be permanent.
>>
>>45307526
Wavy-hand it as part of the story? Probably the better idea. I guess I just want some consequences for if they fuck up and fail to collapse it completely. Suppose I could make it a difficulty roll of some kind.
>>
>>45307579
>>45307642
I just realised you never mentioned you were a DM. This just sounded like a big bad thing. Are you a player, or the DM?
>>
>>45307445
Assuming that your setting has appropriate explosive substances available, I'd treat it basically as a construction project. Spend a bunch of money on materials, manpower, and expertise. Supplement the hired manpower and expertise with some time invested in manual labor and skill checks. Roll some dice for them (if they outsourced their demolitions expert) or have them. Boom.
>>
>world used to be low/no magic
>suddenly, magic happened, because reasons
>monsters, magical races, spellcasters appeared
>world is pretty hardcore fucked
>players part of the first generation born post-magic, ergo their manifestations of magical abilities
>spells/magic/uncommon races still super weird and/or scary to people in many places (rural villages)

Y/N? It's pretty cliche but that doesn't matter to me so much.
>>
>>45307579
a Finger of Death zombie?
>>
>>45302587
It's great, my group had fun with the chaos pool by dipping their body parts in and weird shit would happen. One guy dove in and came out as a gargantuan sized eyeball
>>
Romanon here. I was the guy who wasted several 5e threads making a shield-using Roman-inspired race for a heavily custom game I'm planning. Now it's time for Race #2.

The Deniri are a race of tall red-haired humans most similar to the Gauls. They are known for being sneaky, ambushing motherfuckers, and for their actually quite excellent forge-work. I had the idea that they once fought a war against the Fey, and so have some sort of culturally-ingrained expertise on the subject.

>Denirii
>+2 Wis
>+1 Dex
>Darkvision
>Gain proficiency in Stealth
>Add Wisdom to Initiative
>Can 1/long rest automatically detect any Fey within 100ft, and has advantage against spells cast by Fey

Is this too focused on one thing? Is the Fey-stuff too good? How does this compare to PHB races? Should I give them racial spells? What do you guys think?
>>
>>45307697
Sounds like fun, actually. That is, if you're okay with there being very few well-established magical powers in the world to oppose the PCs. Magic is kind of a game-changer.
>>
>>45302595
>What's a neat twist on future powers granted, behaviors, or plot twist based on this info?

Well the whole thing of Stormbringer and Mournblade (it's partner sword) is that they weren't actually swords, but a kind of demon that took a sword's shape for one.
Also, fun bit that can easily be guessed; Arthas from way back in WarCraft III was pretty obviously based on Elric as a Death Knight and his weapon was "Frostmourne", which is pretty strongly reminecent of Mournblade.
>>
A player in our group wants to use the ranger from UA, but the class obviously isn't finished, anyone have any good houserules for finishing out the class?
>>
>>45307674

Im a PC thats basically playing a Villain Protagonist. Its been pretty fun because the other players are a little shaky and i usually being counted on to make sure nobody dies.I swear I feel like a Disney villain sometimes with incompetent "minions" constantly blowing things
>>
>>45307736
I'd say give them the effects of fey ancestry, since Fey like to use those effects and it's easy to balance.
>>
File: ciri.jpg (258KB, 1920x1232px) Image search: [Google]
ciri.jpg
258KB, 1920x1232px
>>45307697
Sounds a bit like The Witcher's setting.

Could be a lot worse.
>>
>>45307697
Where did monsters and magical races come from? Did they literally just *poof* into existance? There is just suddenly an elf city in the woods, with absolutely zero history, even THEY don't know how they got there? Did displacer beasts just poor out of a portal in the sky? Did babies of monsters and elves and dwarves just suddenly sprout from the ground? Did humans suddenly give birth to sorcerers, or did this sudden magic make random people suddenly wizards?

We can't grade your homebrew off of
>No Magic.
>Suddenly Magic!
>>
>>45304263
Lawful Evil is the type of evil to frequently give self-justifications, but often they rarely bother to question themselves long enough to need them very often. Anyone who does question them is wrong and thus to be crushed, because the winner is right.

A power-seeking general who serves his lord while slowly usurping his power is a good example; usually the LE character is too busy acquiring power using the law they adhere to to bother with questioning their motives why.
The difference between a LE or a N or CE is that they might not kill the lord they serve unless they can make it look like an accident; they're more likely to simply reduce him to a useless figurehead while they hold all the true power.
>>
>>45307736
>Wisdom to Initiative
No. That's way too big a numerical bonus. Monks, Druids, and Clerics get a stat they want to max to initiative.
>>
>>45307908

Well the PC has a Noble Background character and usurped his far less competent NE father. and because of that and a 20 CHA im the "Hero" of the story. The idea of of minion making is filling in some of his backstory of creating a loyal "family" to support his rule.
>>
Anyone else running a 5E game using Dungeon World's guidelines for GMing, fronts, world-building, etc.?
>>
>>45307772
Yeah, the magic users would mostly be enemies of all civilization that appeared in the poof, eg orcs and such. The "human" magic users would be rocketing to positions of power as the party adventures.

>>45307871
Yeah, the similarity did occur to me.

>>45307876
>Where did monsters and magical races come from? Did they literally just *poof* into existance?

I haven't decided yet, so I left it ambiguous. I don't think it matters THAT much, does it? Not for the overall adventure, anyways, although the players might enjoy discovering the answer in piecemeal.

>There is just suddenly an elf city in the woods, with absolutely zero history, even THEY don't know how they got there?

I guess "magical races" was too vague. Specifically, I was referring to the uncommon races - Dragonborn, gnomes, half-orcs (vis-a-vis orcs), tieflings, and drow. The other races were already around.

As for what the members of those uncommon and therefore magical races know, I haven't decided yet, because it's tied into the also undecided answer to "how/why did it happen".

>Did humans suddenly give birth to sorcerers, or did this sudden magic make random people suddenly wizards?

Maybe existing people can manifest some simple magic, like a cantrip if they're lucky and/or near the frontier, but the vast majority of people born before the event are non-magic, while those born after far more likely have the potential for magic.

>We can't grade your homebrew off of >No Magic. >Suddenly Magic!

Well, it's not meant as anything more than just a setting background, so I didn't think much more was necessary. Obviously there's far more to be layered on before it's ready for play.
>>
>>45307982
yep
>>
>>45304147
>Battlemaster Fighter
>Bushido shit
>>
>>45307871
Ciri is cute! Cute!
>>
weeaboos monks and samurai
>>
>>45308091
So you were asking "Y/N, should I use this cliche", because that was all you had.
>>
Going to make a Sci-Fi-Fantasy setting. Having a hard time thinking of going full Sci-Fi powered by Magic, or Going full Pulp Sci-Fi, were I aint gotta explain shit. You can be naked on mars as long as you have a fishbowl on your head.
>>
>>45308014
The backstory thing is all you; we can't help too much with that. It's also not what you asked for, technically.
>>
>>45308161
>bushido
nice!
Very nice!
Any more golden ideas, anon?
>>
I'll give this magic item for my players:

Longsword +2 (Swamp Sword)
1d8 damage (1d10 with both hands), if attuned deals extra 3d8 of poison damage. While attuned to this item the bearer can't be healed by any magic spell or ability, the bearer will be able to heal with only with short rests (hit dies) and long rests.

This sword is cursed and the demon that lives on it must eat a good alignment soul each day, if the bearer of the sword don't kill a creature of good alignment each day he will get one level of exaustion that can't be cured with long rests, in the 6th day the sword will consume the soul of its user.

What do you guys think? Also should I reveal the curse or not? If not which hints should I give?
>>
>>45308495
Noble background with Retainers feature instead of Position of Privilege so you can have hangers-on
>>
File: baldy.jpg (72KB, 678x960px) Image search: [Google]
baldy.jpg
72KB, 678x960px
>>45308676
I started typing an absolutely furious post at how retarded you were for designing such an item and halfway through it I realized that I was wrong and needed to reconsider my entire position so have an anime girl instead
>>
>>45308764
So which kind of tips should I give them about the curse? It would be strange the death of a character in the 6th day without any aparent reason.
>>
File: Saitama.gif (69KB, 165x192px) Image search: [Google]
Saitama.gif
69KB, 165x192px
>>45308764
>anime girl
>>
>>45308857

Well, you die from six levels of exhaustion anyway, so as long as it's clear that the PC is gaining levels of exhaustion, he'll try to satisfy the sword or remove the curse ASAP.

There really ought to be some way of removing those levels of exhaustion, though, or it kind of screws over the PC after 1 day.
>>
>>45309030
After he kill a good align creature the exaustion is removed. (by 1 or the total amount of it?)
>>
>>45308676
They're going to go one day without killing a good creature, get a level of exhaustion, say it's bullshit, then get Remove Curse cast the moment they can and chuck the sword in a dumpster.
>>
>>45309030
I assume killing the good soul will cure it, maybe immediately or as soon as a short rest.

The best way, other then having the previous owner die in 6 days, would be a riddle on the item, or maybe in the possession of the last owner who had it, to warn the new owner. The feeling of exhaustion should come from lack of sleep, horrible nightmares.
>>
File: killviper.jpg (12KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
killviper.jpg
12KB, 225x225px
>THAT ONE FUCKING PLAYER WHO RUINS
SITUATIONS BECAUSE HE WANTS TO ATTACK EVERYTHING.

He constantly blows our fucking cover when doing subtle shit. He is a barbarian and all he ever does is roleplay the "LUNK OF MUSCLE CONAN BARBARIAN!"

It makes me fucking angry because the group can never do anything cool or interesting because every encounter is combat because of this FUCKINGG UY.

FUCK. Why do people roleplay this kind of garbage?
>>
During my down moments at work I make homebrew races that I would really like to get critiqued. As I am really bored at work I have quite a few.

Is this an appropriate thread to do that?
>>
Is "villain teleports away" bullshit? They have it planned just in case, I'm happy for them to take some damage, but the PCs probably won't win and the villain is important.

I know it's important not to get too attached to an overarching story, but say it's the BBEG and they're appropriately powerful. They could easily TPK if they wanted to.
>>
>>45309124
I have never experienced this. However, what I do experience all the fucking time is:

>THAT ONE FUCKING PLAYER WHO RUINS SITUATIONS BECAUSE HE WANTS TO STEAL EVERYTHING.
>He constantly blows our fucking cover when doing social shit. He is a rogue and all he ever does is roleplay the "STEAL EVERYTHING FROM EVERYONE, PC OR NPC, THAT IS NOT NAILED DOWN DICKTHIEF"
>It makes me fucking angry because the group can never do anything cool or interesting because every encounter is combat because of this FUCKINGG UY.
>FUCK. Why do people roleplay this kind of garbage?

>>45309194
Yes. It's incredibly bullshit. If you absolutely must do it, establish his teleportation abilities before he uses it then, the knowledge that it's a fallback that he possesses will make it less DM fiat when he does it.
>>
>>45309194
It's bullshit in basically every medium.

The trick, I've found, is to either let the party get overpowered with an "out" (villain goes full cliche and locks them up instead of killing them outright, someone swoops in to save them at the last second which is also lame and cliche) or, better yet... don't even show the BBEG until shit is absolutely going to go down. Allude to their great power, show the aftermath of shit they do, but don't ever have them in visual range of the players until you're for sure ready for them to die.
>>
>>45304660
I'm running a grizzled ranger/cleric (Think vampire hunter)
He just got a cursed longwsord that makes him fight and kill the last thing that dealt him damage, to the exclusion of all other enemies.
It doesn't sound like much, till I have to ignore the big baddie and go kill the last lowly berk who struck me.
It also removes the possibility of mercy.
Not terrible but very problematic
>>
>>45309124
Kick him from the group, he'll never get better.
>>
>>45306283
DONKEY TEETH!
>>
>>45306880
MOUSECOP
>>
>>45309253
>Yes. It's incredibly bullshit. If you absolutely must do it, establish his teleportation abilities before he uses it then, the knowledge that it's a fallback that he possesses will make it less DM fiat when he does it.

Yeah that's what I want to avoid.

I mean, I can decide right now, he has the Teleport spell prepared and will use it if confronted. I can even write it down and show it to the players afterwards.

But if it is a recurring villain, one I want them to get a glimpse of but who is (currently) too powerful for them, I want to stress that fighting isn't a good idea for either side. Maybe I can get away with some powerful, non-damaging magic (like Hold Person with a higher spell slot) to drive the idea home that this guy is tough. Run.

And this isn't just to be cruel, I'm happy if they pass their saves and hit this guy a little, but really it's to give a glimpse of him as some foreshadowing. Even if I prep it from a "fuck whatever happens next" point of view, he would have Teleport prepared.
>>
>>45309339
>. I can even write it down and show it to the players afterwards.

That won't make it better.

Seriously, you're saying in one post "he's too powerful for them" and "I am going to bullshit him away if he starts getting too close to dying". There's something not right here.
>>
>>45307825
That sounds a lot better. I'll definitely use that next round of edits.

>>45307982
What might you suggest as a replacement? I like the idea of them being swift and leaping into battle. Would just a move speed boost be good?
>>
>>45309381
Fair enough, guess I'll go with >>45309269 and keep him in the shadows.

It's just tempting to have the villain flat out appear and show off their power, you know? Not in a "lighting bolt, you all die" kind of way, just something to get the players and PCs motivated. Show, don't tell, and all that.
>>
>>45309631
>It's just tempting to have the villain flat out appear and show off their power, you know? Not in a "lighting bolt, you all die" kind of way, just something to get the players and PCs motivated. Show, don't tell, and all that.

I don't disagree.

The problem is when that becomes "the villain has a magic can't-lose card that poofs out of nowhere without warning when the party starts doing surprisingly well, due to luck or strategy".
>>
>>45309706
Well that's where I'm wondering if there's some more interesting escape plan that isn't "haha he poofs away!" but has a high chance of success.

I'm thinking maybe have him there, but have a more reasonable threat do their best to waylay the PCs, on the BBEG's orders.
>>
File: gygax.jpg (135KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
gygax.jpg
135KB, 720x480px
>DM'd my first game last Saturday
>Party was actually well behaved and worked well together
DMing is a lot more fun than I thought it would be, I have high hopes for this campaign
>>
>>45309856
you want an award?
>>
>DMing OotA
>Trickster of a bard gets Dawnbringer
>In the next combat Bard puts the hilt up to the side of a giant spider and uses his bonus action to extend the blade

What do?
>>
>>45309896
>ITT: Homemade jelly.
>>
>>45309747
Possibilities:
>uses teleportation multiple times, establishing that he has it (perhaps using it mid-combat as a legendary ability to move within 15' without triggering AoO)
>calls in a squad of subordinates and starts walking away, party will find it difficult to follow him while pinned down by his henchmen
>allow the party to kill him if they manage it - then have him resurrect somehow, which will make him that much more intimidating
>something he or the party does causes an environmental hazard like a flood or something that ensures the fight can't continue
>something happens that encourages the party to leave of their own volition (this is not a good example, but something like "I strapped a bomb to five babies, will you go stop it or keep this fight up?"

>>45309856
DMing is extremely fun, you just need to have the right personality for it.
>>
>>45309940
Sounds like an attack action to me.
>>
>>45309940
spider rolls a saving throw to get out the way or takes damag
>>
>>45309194
>teleports away

Never, ever works. Always makes people think less of you
>>
>>45309940
>In the next combat Bard puts the hilt up to the side of a giant spider

How is this different from an attack roll? Just because he's not trying to club the spider with the hilt doesn't make it any easier to accomplish while the spider is moving around.
>>
>>45306283
>Ozmatazz...
>BUCKshank
>>
>>45307736
>Monk with Alert
>+15 to initiative
>>
>>45309944
Yeah- players said they had a good time, a couple of them being more experienced DMs themselves. Gave me a couple pointers, said that it was a good show for a first attempt. Feels pretty good, man.
>>
>>45309706
The trick is to make sure that getting away doesn't mean the villain wins. Doctor Evil flees in his escape pod but in doing so has to abandon his atomic death ray and brew up some new scheme to threaten the world with. The players won, they saved the day, and there's a known villain out there with an axe to grind.
>>
>>45306139

No, if you had "Sleetvision" you'd have an argument, but you're just spinning your wheels on this one.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (99KB, 811x1132px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
99KB, 811x1132px
DMing a drow game where the PC's are renegade drow being hunted by the daughter of a drow matron, image related, I drew it. What should I name her?
>>
>>45309492
what about a flat +1 to initiative?
>>
>>45310148
Carly Fiorina
>>
>>45310174
better
>>
>>45310148
Trystinia Alejandri Sintamona
>>
>>45310148
beyonce
>>
>>45309492
>>45310174
>Gotta Go Fast. You can add your proficiency bonus to initiative rolls.

Low at low levels, gets better (like the Dragonborn's breath attack and probably some other class features).

Barbarians get advantage on initiative rolls at 7th level, and at least one magic items grants this too.
>>
>>45310176
Kiarlae Fi'Yorae'Nah
>>
File: true_bred_by_flex_flex-d4ncvlf.jpg (141KB, 519x800px) Image search: [Google]
true_bred_by_flex_flex-d4ncvlf.jpg
141KB, 519x800px
>>45310148
heres the matron MILF
>>
>>45310337
will use
>>
File: 1447707385061.gif (142KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1447707385061.gif
142KB, 200x150px
>>45309856
I actually found my actual (and so far, best D&D group I had) with this story:

>Meet college friend
>He wants to get initiated on roleplaying
>I'm not that expert myself, but I tell him what I know
>Over the course of coversation, the fact of no one willing to DM comes at hand
>I decide to step forward
>"Then I'll DM and make them come out."
>Luckily, I had a homebrew story since long ago, so as long as I stated the terms of the campaign leaving nothing aside, I would be fine, I thought
>Go in Roll20 and publish my adventure session
>I'm spanish, but all I would get is people from the South America, which honestly did ennerve me a bit, but could deal with it.
>A particular message arrived to me the next day
>It was a fellow spanish player, as experienced as no one would expect, which happened to inspect my profile, and invited me to his adventure
>I instantly checked if anyone had applied for my adventure
>All I got were messages on some social circles, but no one did actually sign up, so I had the way open

And since then, I've enjoyed a whole lot playing with them, and I've started to feel like I'm improving bit by bit as a player, which I always wanted to do, but was unable to.

While it was not me who DM'd in the end, the determination to DM did bring me to this amazing group. I do not regret anything.
>>
>>45310148
Janin Findecano
Out of curiosity, will you give her some kind of altive or high personality? Given how the drow community prefers the matriarchy, at least, in the Underdark
>>
>>45310303
This sounds bretty good. I think I might roll with this. Thanks anon!
>>
>>45303920
I thought about that before, and I think you're supposed to drag them to the space you want behind you and then circle back around. You can still move while you are grappling someone and as long as you aren't dragging them you aren't at 1/2 movement I think. This would explain that you can't grapple and push someone over a cliff without actually Shoving them over the cliff, or jumping off the cliff yourself.
>>
I kinda wanna play in a game taking place in Faerun. Too bad I don't have any GMs willing to run the setting.
>>
>>45310541
its op of course
>>
>>45310543
Ok I get you. Then what I wanted to do is only slightly more limited than I thought. Thanks.
>>
>>45310627
Well, I'm running one irl
>>
>>45309492
>What might you suggest as a replacement? I like the idea of them being swift and leaping into battle. Would just a move speed boost be good?
not that anon, but what about they can use their wisdom modifier instead of dexterity for their initiative?
>>
>>45310627
>try
>some twat has read every novel

I'm so grateful for 5E's approach to the Realms. Say what you will about the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, it's close in tone to the original gray box with a bit of Volo's Guides mixed in.

Now I can say that sure, some novel might have influenced some of the information, but it's what's in this book that's canon. I decide the Wood of Sharp Teeth is full of mummies? Great, there's nothing in the book to contradict that, fuck Book Five of the Neverwinter Trilogy that said it was full of lycanthropes.

There's even a nice sidebar about how you can make the Realms yours. This has always been something you can do in RPGs, but it's nice to take the Realms back to that, and have it in print, instead of 300 pages describing the events of novels.
>>
So is it possible in this edition to run a sniper like Character.

Ranged Weapons focusing on single Heavy damage attacks over rapid fire. Or does weight of fire just blow all competitors out of the water?
>>
>>45311124
Assassin rogue with sharpshooter.
>>
>>45311124
You can get eldritch blast to hit, like, a mile away
>>
>>45311124

>sniping
>with a crossbow

this shit makes me hate generic fantasy
>>
>>45310972
Hm. Seems like it would only be useful for Clerics and Druids, but that does increase the number of classes one would like to play as one. I'll consider it.
>>
>>45311313
or strength based characters who don't want to boost their dexterity but do want to boost wisdom. like a fighter or paladin with 12 wisdom and 8 dexterity or whatever.
>>
>>45311217
What would you prefer a fantasy sniper use? A crossbow holds itself ready, allowing for a patient wait-for-the-right-shot approach characteristic of sniping.
>>
How hard is it to learn 5E as a complete newbie to D&D?

Are wizards still god-tier with fighters being shit tier? What are good classes to play that won't leave me eating the dust of the rest of the party?
>>
>>45311632

a fantasy sniper shouldn't exist, the problem comes when you try to force something like a sniper in a fantasy setting
>>
>>45311313
Or, you know, just keep it optional.
For a celtic-inspired race/ethnicity, favoring the Ranger, Cleric, Monk and Druid makes sense.
>>
>>45311688
Nah m8, get your badwrongfun out of here.
>>
>>45311572
>>45311697
Yeah, I can see where you guys are coming from. Wisdom replace Dex for initiative it is!

Thanks anons. I'll post a phb for the race in the next couple of threads, if nothing catastrophic happens in my social life in the next few hours.
>>
>>45311688
How is that forced into fantasy?

Robin Hood split an arrow.
>>
>>45311677
Easy, no, any of them.
>>
deepwood sniper
>>
>>45311688
>people only shot in volleys without any kind of accuracy until the XXI century
I mean i do get your point but why do you hate fun?

>>45311677
Actually, 5e is the best edition to start in. The first levels are very lightweight and you can get the hang of it fast, provided you're not clinically retarded, just RTFM and you'll be fine.
As for balance, all classes work, you won't be shit unless you purposefully gimp yourself. Take this guideline

Underpowered: Monk(4 elements), Warlock(Blade), Ranger(In general, but mostly Beastmaster)
Top Tier: Bard(lore)
Good/Good enough: the rest

Just play what you want.
>>
>>45311768
Just in case, make it optional, so that the 18 DEX char doesn't get shit on for having only 9 WIS
>>
File: Warlock retool.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Warlock retool.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Hey I'm working on adding to the august 2012 playtest Warlock, because I like that class, and me and a friend are thinking of adapting a bunch of playtest ideas into a campaign that may never happen.

Would you guys mind looking it over? It goes up to level 10 but its a lot of material.

It has a level up chart in it much like the level up chart from older playtests, with feats and ASIs decoupled.

Also it assumes that fighters and other martial characters will get martial expertise, which if you aren't familiar are dice you get every round to either add damage to your attacks or use maneuvers. So some of the abilities damage will look high, but those numbers are assuming fighters get extra d6s of damage every round as well. That will probably change and the damage of these abilities will be readjusted to match whatever me and my friend decide to change overall damage to.

So anyway, like I said that system needs an overhaul, but the warlock has the same thing (but called arcane expertise), which just keep in mind adds to their combat damage or options every turn when they get them.

The tldr of the various long ass abiltiies are:

Invocations, you get a number from the table that you learn, like the current 5e warlock.

Your patron gives you 2 favors, which you can use to use your patron abilities or any invocation that isn't a minor invocation (which are free). These recharge on a short rest, and you never get more than 2 (unless i add more at level 11 or something). This replaces warlock spellcasting, essentially.

It has a lot of powerful stuff, but you can only use two per short rest. There might be no real way to balance that very well, but anyway they also get a pretty powerful free to use eldritch blast, free to use hex, and can pick a powerful familiar or powerful pact weapon.

I also want to rehaul how familiars work in general, so don't worry too much that the warlock's is really powerful.

Also I took some stuff from the internet for this sorry bloggers.
>>
>>45311905
Also note I need to add to Armor of Shadows that the activated effect ends when you take a short or long rest.

Maybe also claws for a third fiend pact weapon?
>>
>>45311697
>>45311768
sorry I mean the replacement of wis for dex for initiative should be optional, thats a good call
>>
>>45311780
Robin Hood was a sharpshooter; not a sniper. There are no tales of Robin Hood waiting around for a day or more with an arrow drawn waiting for someone to cross his sights.
>>
Hey, for an antipathy/sympathy spell:
If you keyed it to affect elves, would it have a slight pull on half-elves? Like half the DC rating, maybe?
>>
>>45311905
>Martial Dice are back
fuck no m8, it was good on paper but bigger numbers don't mean bigger fun, and if the enemies have more hp to compensate, what's the point? Allowing you to have, say, a wizard who could hit shit with a sword and make it count (at least at lower levels) was a thing nobody complained about

Boons changing you are okay. But seriously, a wart? and who's Verenestra?

Invocations are basically what the Warlock can do now, except with outdated math that reeks of 'just because'
Older abilities were changed for a reason. (disadvantage as a reaction vs turning invisible and teleporting on a hit, for example)
I can also see the 4e influence in the pact weapons options. That's actually cool.

All in all, it feels unnecessary, but if you want to rework the system, hey, i'm not going to tell you how to have fun.
But this is a DnD 5th edition thread, not a D&D NEXT thread, those ended like two years ago. You're better served making your own thread for this.

You absolutely need to fix this, in any event:
>Eldritch Lore
Why not just outright say "pick three" when you choose proficiencies?
>>
>>45311849

I keep hearing about the Bard with 5e. I haven't had any experience with the class yet, what makes the Lore Bard so tip-top?
>>
>>45312136
I don't believe anon is looking for that hardcore of a sniper. He just wants to be able to unload damage from great distance effectively.
>>
>>45312523
Much skill
Very versatile

Memeing aside, you become the rival to rogue for best skill monkey, and have the most versatile non-wizard spell list with full caster slots.

Bard also gives you Dex throw profs, which are close to Wisdom for most used throw.
>>
Hey everyone, I made a Race pack based on four of the elemental damage types (Fire, Cold, Lightning, Thunder) and it's still in it's initial stages.

It's supposed to have an Elemental Bender feel to it. So it's a mix of utility and elementally typed damage. I used the 5e race creator guide (the one that says Humans are 6 points worth) and tried to balance it to that.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I have other projects like Dhampirs, Scarecrows, and Wolf's Rain wolves if anyone is interested.
>>
>>45312523
Aside from the fact the 'chassis' of the class is very strong (a true jack of all trades) and the fact it's a fullcaster with a good spell selection, the archetypes are great. Valor Bard is one of the best gishes, and Lore Bard allows you to pick spells from other classes (making your spell list even better - you will have no weaknesses in that regard if you so want) and adds a good offensive utility to your Bardic Performance dice, and extra proficiencies.

This said, they won't cheese your game and won't render the party useless, because the spells are better designed this time around. The sheer variety of options is what makes the (Lore)Bard top tier.
>>
File: scroll.jpg (11KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
scroll.jpg
11KB, 300x168px
I'm trying to make a big bad boss fight where the players fight a bureaucrat who has been pestering and impeding them their whole campaign. I had hoped to make him a normal, lvl 1 puss who has a huge stockpile of uber powerful magic scrolls passed down from a god emperor. How can i make this fight work? He'll need something to boost his hp, or to morph himself into something more dangerous, ideas?
>>
>>45312557
Not even that, I just want a Bow user that works like a railgun not a machine gun. Single Accurate strikes that do heavy damage. So a focus on accuracy and damage instead of weight of fire.

The secondary aspects like Stealth and tracking skills can be worked into most characters. Range doesn't even have to be extreme, as for the most part that would shit on party combat (Ok guys I'll be back here, good luck).
>>
>>45312945
Rogue is your best bet. It's the only class to make use of attack quality over attack quantity with ranged weapons. You may want to pick up the Sharpshooter feat if you're starting at an early level, but its usefulness will be overshadowed by your regular sneak attacks at mid-level.
>>
>>45312945
One level fighter, then go Rogue. One attack with a heavy crossbow, with sneak attack. As sniper as it gets.
>>
>>45312945
Again: assassin rogue with sharpshooter feat. You can fire from 600 feet away, ignoring all but total cover, and you can Hide as a bonus action to get advantage on an attack if you have something to duck behind. Throw in expertise on Stealth and you'll be hitting super-hard every turn, but especially hard on surprise rounds.
>>
>>45313142
Ah shit, forgot that rogues don't get longbows. 320 feet with a shortbow or light crossbow, then.
>>
>craft large battlefield siege encounter with several smaller encounters interspersed throughout
>have several goals set up
>all players split up
>stretch themselves miles apart
>have to manage game with 7 different threads going at the same time
Fucking Christ
>>
>>45312941
High Cha and Dex, moderate / high Wis and Int , and low Con and Str for his stats, making him a very nondirect and cunning mastermind who is very weak physically. However, he has inherited control of several golems (two Stone and one Iron) and has the uncanny ability to use spell scrolls despite not being a caster. He also has a stockpile of wands of varying type. He also rides around in that one magic item that is bassically a giant mecha battle crab (I forget what it is called). This way he is very strong without he himself possessing any real strength.
>>
What is going to be in the new book?
>>
>>45312231
>But seriously, a wart? and who's Verenestra?
Sorry, stuff from the playtest packet. I thought I caught all the mentions.

>Martial Dice are back
>fuck no m8, it was good on paper but bigger numbers don't mean bigger fun, and if the enemies have more hp to compensate, what's the point? Allowing you to have, say, a wizard who could hit shit with a sword and make it count (at least at lower levels) was a thing nobody complained about
I liked martial dice, I know the numbers are too big, but I feel like theres a way to rework it. It just seems better having a lot of options as a fighter. Like the battlemaster currently seems so piddling whereas I think there is a way to allow for that option diversity in combat.

You could be right though.

>Invocations are basically what the Warlock can do now, except with outdated math that reeks of 'just because'
I was trying to think of a way to preempt this point, because I knew it would be made. You could be right about the whole thing.

Again, this campaign probably won't happen but if it does I wanted to start working from playtest to 5e instead of the other way around, and perhaps thats misguided.

But part of it was wanting to start from a position of wanting decoupled feats and ASIs, and I really like how the playtest warlock feels.

Also I vastly prefer the old monk to the new one.

>You absolutely need to fix this, in any event:
>>Eldritch Lore
>Why not just outright say "pick three" when you choose proficiencies?
eh idk I like it is an anachronism, but you're probably right.

I have to think on everything else you said.
>>
File: 1454595005867.jpg (180KB, 826x1001px) Image search: [Google]
1454595005867.jpg
180KB, 826x1001px
>>45313300

Gothic Horror setpieces and a Ravenloft adventure.

Great if you like pre-made adventures and Ravenloft.

Terrible if you want new character choices.
>>
If a player casted true polymorph on another party member and turned them into an adult dragon, would the player dragon's change shape ability break the true polymorph?
>>
>>45312231
Also thanks for reading it √
>>
What do you guys think of a setting where Drow would be the ones to invent guns, with Dwarves being more focused on magically engineered weapons crafted with their Gnomish brethren?
>>
>>45312231
The Warlock in the playtests was an interesting idea, and something perfectly fine for a home game, or even a specific setting, but the ideas it was built around weren't good for the generic base the PHB was meant to be.
>>
>>45313323
No Dhampir character race?
>>
>>45313411
Wait what the fuck? This doesn't work right? Why wouldn't you just make every party member an adult dragon
>>
>>45313795
welcome to caster supremecy
>>
File: 0208162136.jpg (70KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
0208162136.jpg
70KB, 640x480px
I never realized how amazing binders were until this hobby
>>
>>45313318
Me again

Maybe what I really want is to just play 4e, but I really like 5th.

Maybe instead of martial dice, I just need to run 5e and encourage players to try other shit besides just attacking (and add some unique pact weapons and improve familiars and fix the monk up a bit, and add some more feats, or whatever).

Maybe the game system isn't even important so much as the fluff, and I just need to figure out a way to encourage that.
>>
>>45313795
Well true polymorph can change a creature into anything that is its CR or lower (or level if there is no CR, the players for example) I was concerned about players that had TP cast on them polymorphing into something else via change shape, polymorph, or beast shape. It would basically be a double polymorph if TP remained active and had any excess damage go to their dragon form. Dragons are capable of casting spells innately, so the possibilities are there.
>>
>>45312180
No
>>
File: 1413335028701.gif (458KB, 500x358px) Image search: [Google]
1413335028701.gif
458KB, 500x358px
>>45306483
Thank you so much. Sorry for not responding sooner.
>>
>>45313973
Liberal use of advantage, or just always give ad-hoc bonuses as appropriate.
>>
>>45310303
Dragonborn breath attack is only useful at low levels though
>>
>>45313973

You could use some of the optional stuff from the DMG to spice things up a little. I particularly like the ability to use opposed Athletics or Acrobatics to do Shadow of the Colossus climbs on larger monsters.
>>
I'm trying to work on creating my own campaign to play with my friends so my friend who normally dms can actually play for a change of pace. Problem is that I'm a little paralyzed at how much goes into creating a campaign, can any of you give me some tips on what I can do to get started and what I need to flesh out before I begin the campaign?
>>
I'm Dm'ing my very first campaign with 4 complete noobs. I am doing Tyranny of Dragons, any advice for a virgin DM?
>>
>>45313318
>>45313973

I'm the guy who reviewed your idea.
I've been tinkering with transplanting the power system of 4e as a side-mechanic in 5e. The only thing that *needs* changing would be the range/radius descriptions, and Saving Throws, but the math sort of works.
To calculate defenses, you do this
STRmod+CONmod+10 = Fortitude Defense
DEX+INT+10= Reflex Defense
WIS+CHA+10= Will Defense
And it works.

I could suggest the following: Get the 4e powers you like best and offer them as special attacks. If a character has Inspiration, they can 'burn it' to use such attack.
You could also try something with Action Points, or the 'new' Martial Dice mechanic introduced in Martial Options and have them spend those dice for such maneuvers. (It's more suited for a Wuxia kind of game, but works regardless)
https://mega.co.nz/#!dZBSCBSI!_Z3EDOc8RnFizNVvkGzyEBxVMKCN_MvgEv32K1Ql1r8
It's somewhere around there.

To get your Warriors to do more than just attacking, you'll have to either lead by example (have your characters shove, grapple or improvise when you play) or introduce nonstandard encounters (swords can't hit the evil priest...but you could throw it down the cliff)
or simply doing a digest of all actions possible in combat (again, Martial Options has great additions) and show it to players and just say "Guys, you can do more than attack. Seriously, look at this for example" the latter is what i did, and it helped players realize you can *do more*

I'm sorry if i came off as a little hostile, but the math in 5e is pretty good as it is. Reworking it would be more work than it's worth, and boy do i know about such things.
>>
>>45314302
Removing proficiency bonus from saving throw bonus scaling seems like a bad idea.
>>
File: Martial Options.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Martial Options.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>45314302
>Martial Options
Jesus, I had no idea anyone remembered that at all.
>>
>>45313318
Oh, and also
>decoupling ASI and Feats
5e 'builds' don't require feats (or just require one, two at most) giving players both would make them way too powerful. Indeed, it does show your preference for 4e.

The Old Monk was great, true, but that's not the monk we got in the finished product. Personally i'm working on an archetype that has some of it's old abilities (Grasp of the Mountain, Vortex Punch, ect.) coupled with some new ones, either by using Ki or Superiority Dice.

Whenever you feel a class 'lacks' something, go for Archetypes and Class Options.
You could do something like that and put your ideas into some homebrew archetypes. That's much easier to accomplish, makes your more productive AND it's more likely to be used (either by your group or others)
>>
>>45313856
This, pretty tempted to get a fancy binder for my elf character
>>
>>45314254
Don't do ToD. Do Princes of the Apocalypse or better yet Lost Mines. Tyranny has very unbalanced and skewed encounters and is a very rough intro for new players. Honestly it was being made while the rules of the game where still being developed so I wasn't terribly surprised.

That said, if you bought the book like I did and are intent on running it, read it over and consider removing some of the trivial encounters that just detract from the story, or at least tweaking them.
>>
>>45314420
Would you recommend that i nerf the encounters or should i just get rid of them all together?
>>
>>45314343
Well, i don't know where that comes from.

4e powers target a 'defense' which is a static number like AC. Saving Throws are just DC10 1d20 rolls to see if you end an effect early.

What i was implying is that these transplanted Powers would require doing something different from 4e saving throws. The easiest way to do it would be using 5e saving throws, with the GM/person doing the homebrew specifying which of the six stats must be used (altough if we calculate Defense like i suggested, choosing either of those two stats would only make sense)

>>45314382
It's a staple at my table. I really liked it.
>>
>>45314420
Not the same anon but would out of the abyss be a decent adventure for a new gm/player(s)?
>>
Has anyone tried running the adventure league games away from gaming shops since WotC made them available?
>>
>>45314505
I've seen a few ads on Roll20 offering to run "official" AL games on there but like... if you're going to get people together for an online game, I don't know why you'd bother with the restrictive AL rules.

There is a weird meta with hardcore AL players that obsess over leveling multiple characters and getting certificates for magic items, though. The one time I was introduced to organized play, that's the thing that really pushed me away from it.
>>
>>45314382
only good homebrew
>>
>>45314461
Depends on how much time you actually have to play is my suggestion. If you're a 4hr session table, just get rid of them. The non-setpiece encounters are literally just rolling a d20 to see how many kobolds might spot you. If it's a large session, just be wary of how much punishment they're taking. The two encounters off the top of my head are the two ambushes in the very first chapter. There's like, a windmill that is fucking brutal like 8 dudes or something waiting to surprise the shit out of the party, and there's another with like 8 guys when they exit a sewer grate out of the keep. There's just so much shit to do and that whole chapter takes place over the course of like a night it's exhausting.

>>45314502
Yes and No... it's a GREAT module, really one of the best. It's fantastic at showing off how mysterious and horrifying the Underdark can be. If you think your players can respect how they're in a place that's totally out of their league and you can instill that sense of fear, it'll be golden.

If they come in thinking they can mow everything down no problem, they're going to be eaten by a land shark pretty damn early on.

Also, if you have a wizard consider letting them reacquire their spellbook.
>>
>>45314418

oh I'm a DM
>>
>>45314614
Thanks for the advice for OotA. I ordered the book last friday and it should come in the mail for me later today (midnight here) along with the dungeon masters guide, so it should be fun to read into both.
>>
>>45314382

is there any good homebrew/DMGuild stuff of alternate weapons that aren't in the PHB?
>>
>>45313183
>all players split up
Why do they always want to do this?
Why even play?
>>
>>45314869

like this? https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Weapons

Idk...
>>
File: big feats dump.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
big feats dump.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>45314397
>5e 'builds' don't require feats (or just require one, two at most) giving players both would make them way too powerful. Indeed, it does show your preference for 4e.
Thats not what I especially like about feats. Required feats suck. Hell I want to just tack on a version of each combat feat to its weapon.

Or my other idea was just pulling a shit ton of the combat options from conan d20 into 5e.

Sorry, getting off topic. Re: feats, I just liked how a lot of the feats in other editions, including the playtest, gave you expanded options. Not like power attack or whatever, but shit like Amateur Investigator, Believer's Boon, Dueling Cape Deed. actually fuck I have a working doc of a bunch of adapted feats. I'll just post it it if anyone wants it. I tacked on some conan notes at the end.

But just... I like character creation sim, and I wish 5e had that in a way that wasn't at all like battlemasters and didn't punish MAD classes.
>>
>>45314502
Lost Mine of Phandelver for newbies
>>
>>45314185
Get a map at most, generalized characters, a few good dungeon type areas and attempt, to some degree, to write up a few combat encounters. It's important to give them the ability to do whatever they want within your game, but this means that anything you plan extensively before hand is going to get shit upon.
>>
OP here, they got TPK today, I think that the sword will not need a curse anymore
>>
>>45316106
The cursed sword should turn them all into undead.
>>
File: Diego_Brando.png (712KB, 728x544px) Image search: [Google]
Diego_Brando.png
712KB, 728x544px
I have the feeling my character is going to die sometime soon, and my DM's having me switch to a backup character I never fully built to continue the game. His name's Diego.

So, how do I make the dino jockey in 5E?
>>
>>45315068
Well, those feats clearly show you shouldn't be playing 5e. They dont even have the same design style or philosophy. What you're offering there are minmaxing options and special abilities, not tools that help represent a concept or help a character come to life, or even give a significant boon that is noticeable enough to differ from making a normal attack in concept. Some ideas there may work, but not in the way you're building them. And no, this isnt about balance or completion, just mindset.

Why do you play 5e? I want to know what exactly makes you like a system that clearly does not satisfy you when there's prior editions that suit your tastes better (4e or even 3.pf)
>>
>>45316248
Moon Druid. Maybe a level or two of Rogue or Monk. Barbarian could work too if we ignore his dinofication powers. Grab Mounted Combatant if you want to focus on being a battle jockey
>>
>>45316267
Moon Druid can turn into half-dinosaurs? Or is there a combo I'm missing out on?
>>
>>45313168
>rogues don't get longbows.
Elf rogues do.
>>
>>45309124
Has that nigger ever read conan? Request he do so before playing a barbarian, it's not just a "smash all the things" class, even with the berserker.
>>
>>45316295
Im not an expert on Moon Druids (never felt like playing one) but you could fluff form changes as dinosaurs. Else, your GM could allow a variation or two to pull it off better.
There are dinosaurs in the MM. See if you can turn into those or at least summon them.
Else, barbarian for the 'mostly human' form works (add in Tavern Brawler for his claw attacks i suppose) Monk could work Under the same logic too.
Just fluff it as you see fit. You have the tools.
>>
File: 1391515036936.jpg (36KB, 277x190px) Image search: [Google]
1391515036936.jpg
36KB, 277x190px
I'm the DM, and I give everyone feats at first level to mix things up a bit.
90% of the time my group isn't dumb enough to abuse it, but that makes variant human (unless they -want- to abuse feats) less required option for certain things.

My point is, that brings both human types to near non-existent in my group and I'm not a giant fan of that, humans are pretty stabilizing in a group.
Is there anything I can do to buff normal humans a slight amount to make them almost as appealing as other races? Anything UA that I've barely looked at or you guys came up with for your own homebrow?
>>
>>45316295
moon druid can turn into full dinosaurs
I think the only dino in the MM you can't ever turn into as a moon druid is the T-rex

which, really, that's just spiteful on their part
>>
>>45316656
>Is there anything I can do to buff normal humans a slight amount to make them almost as appealing as other races?
Variant human.
>>
>>45316671
I brought that up alread in my first post.
I give everybody a feat already at first, unless they're trying to get minmax bullshit variant humie is less needed.
>>
>>45316681
>I give everybody a feat already at first
So don't do that.
>>
File: 126405367780.jpg (18KB, 618x360px) Image search: [Google]
126405367780.jpg
18KB, 618x360px
>>45316691
>I do homebrew feats at 1 to mix things up a bit
>I want -normal- humans to be better, also to mix things up a bit
>you suggest not doing both

Really anon?
>>
>>45315068
>Requiring other feats as prerequisites for another feat in 5e.

Nah. You can fuck right off with that dog shit.
>>
>>45316656
Are they near non existance because people dont want 2 feats at lvl 1? if thats the case leave things as they are. Tbh If I were to join a group that allowed feats at lvl 1 I would totally be a variant human fighter. Not so much to abuse feats so much as to have ample build options and because I love fighters. Plus having sentinel and resilient wis at lvl 1 would be rad.
>>
>>45316718
honestly i play a normal human and i like it and probably will roll one again (we use point buy tho) if my character ever dies

but i think having stats with all pluses is not as appealing to some people as having spells and stuff. but i wouldn't change anything.
>>
>>45316733
Eh its all just notes, and its on a different assumption than 5e. but if you want animal cohort with the options organized for 5e animals, then there you have it
>>
>>45316718
Feats at first is a human thing imo.

You could try giving humans an extra stat boost at 3rd level along side standard human. (+1 in everything at level 1 and then +1 in two things at 3rd) Probably wouldn't fuck things up too bad.
>>
>>45316718
Give humans 10% extra xp. We adapt and shit.
>>
>>45317212
ghey
>>
>>45317212
that sounds pretty silly, anon.
>>45317207
+2 in 2 stats past levle 3?
I'll think about it, would be really good with point buy.

What about variants 2 skill profs, or, my personal thought, just one skill or tool proficiency of your choice?
minor enough most people wouldn't care, but enough to include as part of your backstory maybe.
>>
>>45317338
I was going to suggest a skill prof but I don't think anyone would care. You could try a language too, but I don't think anyone would care about that either, I was going to suggest maybe an extra proficiency save but I think that might fundamentally fuck up balance.

Maybe, and this is just a thought
Standard Human
>+1 in all stats
>Select a different class and exchange any one saving throw, and up to 2 class skills between your class and that class.
>If you gain a feat that increases an attribute, you may exchange that attribute for a separate attribute.
>>
>>45317425
>anyone with an int save or without a dex save can switch it out for a wis/dex save
That alone is pretty absurd for a race, i think.
>>
I was inspired by the Light, Dark, Underdark! UA and wanted to brew some things up.
>each Warlock Invocation changes the character in some way
>Eldritch Sight overlays the iris with (Ûž) a golden star
>Armor of Shadows paints a pattern of () diamond-shaped marks down their arms and legs
>Mask of Many Faces causes the user to take on a pallid countenance dotted with freckles

Is this a good idea?
>>
>>45317629
I'm not a fan of classes being worn on the surface if I'm being honest. The only class I think when played well should be recognizable at a glance is the Paladin.
>>
can I misty step through 15 feet of clear glass?
>>
>>45317675
>can I misty step through 15 feet of clear glass?
I'd allow it.
>>45317660
>I'm not a fan of classes being worn on the surface if I'm being honest. The only class I think when played well should be recognizable at a glance is the Paladin.
I mostly agree. Heaven knows if I see another Rogue trying to rock the dual dagger + hood look I'll flip a table. However there's precedent with the Draconic Bloodline sorcerer's AC manifesting as a covering of scales, and the Warlock's alien nature seems like something that wouldn't hurt to be somewhat more overt in my opinion.
>>45317675
>can I misty step through 15 feet of clear glass?
I'd 1) Allow it 2) Wonder why you'd ever need such a thing. It's such a ridiculous edge case.
>>
>>45317629
If you can find it, the playtest Warlock had something to that effect. IIRC it was a Fey Pact that gave you a wart whenever you cast a more powerful spell.
>>
>>45317713
DM stuck dragon eggs in the other side of 15 feet of glass and stated it was see through. There's an unoccupied space next to the eggs.
Everyone was talking about getting a mining crew to get them out, I was wondering if I could just -poof- in, grab them and put them in my BoH and then -poof- out
>>
File: giant-s-halberd-onhand-large.jpg (65KB, 600x377px) Image search: [Google]
giant-s-halberd-onhand-large.jpg
65KB, 600x377px
Does the extra attack from the polearm feat have reach?
>>
>>45317736
>If you can find it, the playtest Warlock had something to that effect. IIRC it was a Fey Pact that gave you a wart whenever you cast a more powerful spell.
Sounds interesting. Thank you.
>>45317713
>replied to the same thing twice
I need sleep.
>>45317742
Ah, I see. In that case I'd still allow it but give you a slightly annoyed look because you pushed over your party's plans with MAGIC. It's not a good thing because it tends to discourage players from getting involved.

>>45317745
No? Feats are highly rationed in this edition so most are kind of good on their own.
>>
>>45317764
Fair enough.
I'll let them get the mining crew and just continue on with my magical research in the meantime.
>>
>>45317745
Yes.
>>
>>45317745
If the weapon has the Reach property, yes.
>>
>>45317764
>No? Feats are highly rationed in this edition so most are kind of good on their own.

Not even sure what you are trying to say here.
>>
File: aXm83xjU.jpg (98KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
aXm83xjU.jpg
98KB, 650x650px
>>45317787
Thanks for being a cool guy/gal.
>>45317824
>Not even sure what you are trying to say here.
I'm saying that most Feats are 1) Not filler 2) Worth it in at least one context 3) Not dependent on other Feats to be not-shit.

Is that better?
>>
>>45317858
>Is that better?
Not him, but no.
>>
>>45317885
>>45317858
>>45317824
>>45317764
>>45317745
Wait. Fuck me. I misread that as "a catch".

To answer the ACTUAL question, sure.
>>
>>45311905
Disclaimer: I haven't played a 5e warlock and I didn't read all those invocations.

The level 1 pact boons seem way too good, and in general the boons seem like X/long rest rather than X/short rest material. Free mind control 3/short rest at level one? Gain temp HP almost equal to your max HP on every kill? You might also want to scale boon points over time instead of just always two forever, maybe starting at 1/long rest and increasing to 3/short rest eventually.

You'll probably want to separate that from invocations for balance reasons.

You definitely need a third pact (there's three in core, right?) although maybe you just haven't gotten to it yet.

Martial dice suck.

I like the idea of a Warlock slowly being warped by their eldritch knowledge. Keep that. Maybe tune the specific effects.
>>
>>45313973
>Maybe instead of martial dice, I just need to run 5e and encourage players to try other shit besides just attacking

Design better encounters.

Five monsters in a flat open field is boring and causes what you described.

Design encounters with terrain and props and objectives more complex than "slay the bad guys". Maybe an enemy is running off to sound an alarm. Maybe there's a lever that will flood a lower area and wash some goblins away. Whatever.

Complexity is the currency with which you buy depth. Martial die added too much complexity for not enough depth.
>>
File: P2jJYKS.png (1MB, 735x927px) Image search: [Google]
P2jJYKS.png
1MB, 735x927px
I just saw this somewhere around the net. Being the edgy fag I am, I'm highly interested on playing this. Looks a whole lot like a barbarian paladin. What do you think?

This is the link http://imgur.com/gallery/DvOeB/new
>>
>>45318053
I would not allow this within 100 feet of my table.

>>45314185
From levels 1-4, the party is at a power level of "save a small village", not "save the world".

Design a small town, add a conflict threatening it, decide 3-5 ways the party can end the conflict (stab the Ogre to death, work out a compromise between the ninja guild and the pirate guild, whatever, but remember the party can invent other solutions you didn't think of), decide on 1+ failure conditions (the party dies, the town is destroyed, the assassin escapes into the wilderness, etc), design 1-3 dungeons and 1-2 other locations, design the town, add NPCs and story to taste, design some random encounters (not necessarily combat) that can occur in the wilderness while traveling. Done.

By the time the party is level 5, you'll have had:
>more time
>consequences of player actions
>player decisions
To help you decide what the threat from levels 5-X should be.
>>
>>45318127
Care to elaborate? I'm kind of new to all of this, so the sight of homebrews and judgement of wether if it's balanced or not is a trait I don't have.
>>
>>45318151
I don't want any class at my table that's going to encourage the sheer levels of edginess that thing will.

If you refluffed it as less Linken Park, I would probably be okay with it, although it's very obviously homebrew due to very bizarre design decisions that don't mesh with a 5e design style.

I decided I wouldn't allow it before I even got to the crunch.
>>
File: 1383226472164.jpg (202KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1383226472164.jpg
202KB, 800x800px
>>45318175
Ah, I see. You've got a point there.
>>
Is the Mind Vault psionic focus as overpowered as I think it is? For reference, that's the one that says as long as you are focused on it you are proficient in one skill, weapon, shield, armor, or tool of your choice, and you can pick a new skill each time you focus.
>>
>>45312756
Seems a bit redundant with the Genasi already being in.
>>
>>45318053
Couldn't you just refluff Oathbreaker Paladin or Eldritch Knight if you want a knight using 'dark' spells. Does 5e really need more classes just to play grimdark guy with armour and a sword.
>>
>>45318175
Not that guy, but what are good reference for making good homebrews?

Also, Monk with Nunchuck, Cetus, Fanned Spear, or Gimmick weapon? (ie Anchor, Big Bone, hook, etc)
>>
>>45318243
>Not that guy, but what are good reference for making good homebrews?
See
>>45314382
and
imgur.com/a/Kx0NW
>>
>>45309124
>that one player who swears hes "not evil" but:
Creates a cult
Regularly conspires against the party
Invents communism
Thinks hes the avatar of an evil snake god
>>
>>45318447
>communism
>evil
Capitalist pig get out
>>
>>45316656
Most builds wouldn't mind having 2+ Feats, what's stopping someone playing VHuman and getting most of their build done to the point they can roll out the door with the armoured battlecaster/spearfighter/blaster-cleric/whatever? You're gonna hit those Ability Score Increase levels eventually, and when you get there you can up your stats while other players' characters are only just starting to fully form.

Is having a single free feat really enough to stop everyone saying "Yeahnah, I could definitely use another one sometime, may as well skip some statboosts and take it early with Human"?
>>
I'm building my first wizard ever. My char just died so I begin lvl 12.
How do I pick my prepared spells? There is so much spells I want to have, I can't choose!

What is mandatory? What should I discard? I already made more than on spell list for aggressive, defensive, social playstyle and the everyday one
>>
Can Wish replicate non wizard spells

does wishing for one of the dot point examples make you suffer the ill effects of a non spell wish
>>
>>45318519
Honest opinion, half of your wizard arsenal, if not more than half, should go on utility/noncombat spells. Get enough offensive useful spells to be able to hold your own until a long rest, and support your group with the rest of spells.

The wizard on my group does manage to pull off some tricks with basic spells. It's all about imagination. Also, he's gone for necromancy
>>45318585
Isn't Wish like one of the most powerful spells/effects there are? It should do the trick.
>>
>>45318591
I guess my problem is I try to do too much. I got one control spell for every save. It's maybe too much.
I'm a necromancer too and I just can't go out without animate undead and magic jar. My heart would break.
>>
>>45318053
It's a "I want everything" class
>>
>>45318607
Having control over a number of undead bodies does give a good ammount of resources in battle to support, and also can work out of the combat content.

My barbarian, working along with our wizard and the bard, managed to scare off and give permanent penalties to a pack of bandit by making them think the forest had cursed them for killing a bear; I threw a bear's head to the bandits right after they slayed the bear, the wizard inmediately casted Minor Illusion, and the bard went with some crazy spell to induce laughing. Amazing.
>>
I'm DMing my first campaign and all of my PC's have pretty solid backstories. I'm having some trouble getting them to be in the right place at the right time with the right motivation for the adventure to start. Any tips?
>>
>>45318659
I always make the party decide amongst themselves how they come together. I don't give a shit and I hate that part of the game.
>>
Test
>>
>>45318659
The best is really to make them create PC together or to find a common goal. Otherwise you can have a fucked up party.

If they don't, use a cliche to force them to work together. You're all in jail, you're been kidnapped, some dude hired you, etc. They asked for it
>>
>>45318694
>>45318680
To be fair I asked them all to write their backgrounds and send it to me seperate from each other.

I didn't want them thinking about party composition or feeling like they had to share details about their characters with each other outside of the game.

Anyway, I was hoping once I'd got their backgrounds I'd get inspired about some common goal or something, but I'm struggling to be honest. The campaign I play in pretty much started "You're all in an inn" though, so I may just end up picking a cliché.
>>
>>45318723
Yeah, if you do that, just work out something basic.
They expect it anyway. If you find a common goal, nice! If you don't, well, no matters.
When you start you try to get along with the other players anyway, even if it's a little bit forced
>>
>>45318723
>To be fair I asked them all to write their backgrounds and send it to me seperate from each other.
>I didn't want them thinking about party composition or feeling like they had to share details about their characters with each other outside of the game.

Yeah, in my single, potentially flawed opinion, that was a mistake.

Players and DMs don't even understand backstories in the same way, expecting them to write something you can use is kind of silly.

What you want:
>WHAT do you want, WHY do you want it

What they will write:
>WHERE did I come from, WHAT was my life like

They see backstory as, well, what happened before the story. You see backstory as the source of their motivation to participate in the story. It's natural for them to, in a vacuum, write something that doesn't help you.
>>
>>45318836
I did specify for them to write where they came from, what they did there, why they left and why they are on the road now. So they actually did tell me what they want and why they want it.
>>
Would it be possible to convert Iron Heroes to 5E?
>>
So I just ran the first chapter of LMoP with some new players as a second time DM, and I'm having a little trouble adapting to my players wanting to be imaginative.
I'm not sure if it's just how linear the first part of the campaign is (Cragmaw Cavern) or if I'm just a fundamentally boring DM.

The highlights of the whole experience were when the group worked together to figure out solutions to problems or encounters that weren't just "hit and miss everything for a few rounds and then almost TPK" - speaking of, are the encounters supposed to be that hard for a 1st level party?
Sometimes they did some pretty fun stuff though, like figuring out how to get our ranger out a snare trap; or the fighter tackling the bugbear chief into the lake and tying a noose around his neck to hang and drown him at the same time.

Any tips or places to look for inspiration on how to allow your players to experiment?
>>
I've been looking at "counterattacks" like Hellish Rebuke or Fire Shield. What are some good ways to keep an enemy in melee range?
>>
>>45319069
Martials: Sentinel feat, grappling.
Casters: any spell that creates difficult terrain, grapples, restrains, etc.
>>
>>45319069
>What are some good ways to keep an enemy in melee range?
Lightening Lure.
>>
>>45319017

Talk about how traps are designed, whether it's an investigation check or just a detection. I found this helps when players are repeating the sand/glass in a bag trick.

When they are in an inn, just spout random helpful shit like "There's an obnoxiously loud dwarf roaring that he knows the easiest ways to kill that obviously difficult enemy that you may or may not face."

Have random townsfolk chitter-chatter and gossip about stuff that may interest the party while they walk around towns or cities.

Some players are just dull man, don't take it to heart.
>>
>>45301996
I got in a debate with my DM the other day, and changed class for my new character, but I want your guys' opinion on it.
I wanted to play a berserker barb, but refluff his rages as extreme focus instead of mouth frothing. My dm said that they wouldnt let it fly cause it was antithetical to the nature of the class. What do you think?
>>
>>45319193
I'd say a class is a set of rules balanced with each other and you can be whatever the fuck you want as long as it's internally coherent. But that's me. Classes to me do not represent actual rigid orders within the game world. All Rogues are not friends, all Barbarians didn't learn some discipline of harnessing their rage. It's just a direction.
>>
>>45319193
Your dm hate fun.
Refluffing is good and keep the game fun.
>>
>>45319193
Fuck your DM, both things are essentially the same, you keep your head into battle and forget about everything else.
>>
>>45307876
Not him, but I think it'd be cool if every race had their own, conflicting history. Begs the question who showed up in who's world, you know?
>>
>>45319017
>are the encounters supposed to be that hard for a 1st level party?

I don't know if they are meant to be, but yes, they're very lethal at level one. My players almost wiped to three goblins in the water pool room because they decided against taking a short rest.

Could you be more specific about your complaints? Honestly it sounds like either you or they are the source of the problem, but it's hard to tell.

>>45319193
If I was your DM, I'd have allowed it.
>>
>>45319193
Five against zero, your dm is bad and should feel bad
>>
>>45316669
Do druids learn polymorph? You can polymorph into a t-rex. Doesn't mean it isn't spiteful.
>>
>>45319489
I dunno, he also let me play a fiend-blooded sorc (read as:dragon-blooded with different language) cause it kept with the class' inborn magic aesthetic. I think he's just weird about keeping thematics?
>>
>>45319656
Yeah, he's weird. I get his point, but it's not a good one.
>>
Warlocks seem out of place to me.

Out of all other classes, they alone carry a big roleplaying commitment for the DM.

Not that it's a problem, it's just moderately strange.
>>
>>45319962
It's an option, not a commitment. Many DMs probably don't care.
>>
>>45319962
Clerics have a similar roleplaying commitment. It's strange, but not *that* strange.
>>
>>45320005
>>45319990
Yeah, I guess I forgot about clerics.

Every other class gets their power from within, or from skill/training, or from the makeup of the universe itself.

Only Warlock and Cleric actually get their power from an external sentient entity. And Cleric kind of rides this weird middle ground where they channel some vague divine power as often as not.

I guess Warlock is kind of an anti-Cleric. Cleric is empowered by faith in a divine entity, Warlock is empowered by arcane secrets granted by a !Divine entity.

I never played the playtest stuff. Was Warlock different?
>>
>>45320059
Warlocks were more invocation-based than spell-based but the fluff was the same. There was a time when warlocks were int-based, which honestly makes more sense than cha since they learn their powers. The difference is that they cheat and get the answers from ancient, powerful beings instead of researching magic and copying scrolls and such.
>>
When would a Wizard use a sword over a cantrip? Never, outside of magic immune monsters?

I really want my wizard player to shank somebody once in a while. No particular reason.
>>
>>45319962
Paladins carry the biggest RP commitment from what I have seen. They have those tenants that if broken without repentance, you basically become a featureless fighter.
>>
>>45320148
When they've got decent dex and Green Flame Blade.
>>
>>45320148
If he used a sword, he'd probably have a cantrip to use it with.

Only case I can see doing that normally is that dumb tank necromancer dwarf idea posted earlier.
>>
>>45319193
>I wanted to play a berserker barb, but refluff his rages as extreme focus instead of mouth frothing. My dm said that they wouldnt let it fly cause it was antithetical to the nature of the class. What do you think?
That's stupid. Your GM is stupid.
>>
>>45320184
Also, it'd be an axe
>>
>>45320184
Honestly an abjuration wizard mountain dwarf seem like a fun idea to me. Necromancer could work just as well I suppose.

What made the idea dumb? (I just got on for the day so I did not see the post you are referring to.)
>>
How do you handle loot? New DM here.

One of my players is experienced and the others all new. The experienced one loots everything not nailed down immediately after combat, down to shitty kobold scrap weapons that I have the smith buy for a a tiny fraction of PHB price. Meamwhile, the others don't seem concerned with loot at all.

My biggest concern is that he doesn't share any of the loot without an argument, because he "looted it first" and "my character's flaw is greed, see?"

Outside of this specific issue he's fine as a player, so it's not like there's a pattern of behavior.
>>
>>45320353
Tell him that he can't buy magical items anyway, so all of his filthy gold is of limited value after fifth level.

Do the other players mind? Do the other Characters mind standing around while some freak does strip searches on Kobold corpses? Why is the party together?
>>
>>45320353
Introduce more strict encumberance rules.
>>
>>45320353
Well depending you could just say anything in specific he loots thats not straight coinage or magic items is fine to lethim keep. If he wants to haul 100 pounds of scrap metal to a smith to sell thats his prerogative, but at some point it will come to a point to where he cant carry anymore so he will be overincumbered and rely on allies to carry things as well. At that point I am assuming most of the party will carry out the actual dungeon treasure while he hauls his personal scrap loot. The dungeon treasure should be split evenly but his personal loot, if no one else is protesting, could reasonably be left to solely be inherited by the greedy player.
>>
>>45320353
First, make sure this character doesn't get a bag of holding unless he's done something stupendous. Second, make the removal of the loot a logistical issue. How are you getting that 5000lb bronze statue across the rickety rope bridge over the perilous ravine? How noisy is all the scrap metal while they're skulking around hostile territory?

I've found that you don't need to take meticulous notes about the weight and volume of every item pilfered by the player characters. Instead you can take this "greed" flaw and turn it into some bonus adventure material.
>>
Is this spell list good? I miss three spells on it, I don't really know what to pick and I'm not sure of my choices. Wiz lvl 12, can prepare 17 spells

1 Grease, Mage Armor, Feather Fall, Shield
2 Phantasmal Force, Misty Step
3 Animate Dead, Dispel Magic, Counterspell, Haste
4 Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, Banishment, Greater Invisibility
6 Magic Jar
>>
>>45320637
>>45320629
>>45320542
That's actually the part I'm least concerned about.

It's the actual valuables - gold and treasures - that he's taking/keeping that I'm uncomfortable with. Like you say, the scavenging can be dealt with fairly easily, and besides that it's his prerogative.

It's when they slay a bandit, the bandit's pouch contains 10 gold pieces, and he rushes to loot it and keep it for himself that I'm not happy about. But, if the other players don't seem to mind, maybe it doesn't matter?
>>
>>45320700
If the other players don't mind, it's literally not a problem.
>>
>>45320645
Hold monster, Magic Missile, Bigby's Hand for your missing 3.

Trade banishment and dispel magic for blight and slow.

Outside of that your setup should work just fine. Personally I would make a few more changes, I'm assuming you are a necromancer, but as it stands it should work just perfect with the above suggestions.
>>
>>45320747
I wanted Bigby's Hand too. Hold Monster, I'm not a fan because of the WIS ST but yeah the effect is powerful.
Why magic missile?

Not a fan of Blight, it's CON while Banishment is CHA and the damage is not that great. Banishment is a better shut down I think.
Dispel is there for utility, Slow is more of a control spell, so I'm not sure about it

Thanks for the help
>>
>>45319193
Tunnel vision and red haze all the way. Save the foam for your latte.
>>
>>45320700
Um well if no one else is caring about gold its not a big issue but just note that you cannot sell magic items. To be precise finding people with the money to buy magic items who actually want them are very hard to find. As long as he does not greed the magic items and lets the party inherit those as normal its fine. Gold is only important for improving armor anyways and some small RP aspects.

With that said he is a bit of a that guy for greeding so hard. Is he evil aligned? Does he actually use some money for some form of good cause? Just because your greedy does not mean you would feel morally sound with dicking your allies who you just fought many battles with out of any treasure, you would just want a bigger cut because of reasons he would list off or maybe just slip himself an extra cut.
>>
>>45320796
Dispel will very rarely come into play. Honestly counterspell is all you will ever need to deal with enemy casters. I'm firm on saying you should trade out dispel magic.

Magic missile is the best offensive spell because force is rarely resisted, it auto hits, and can be split and cast at higher levels for either bursting one big enemy or bursting several small enemies.

Crowd control is a grand thing, and it can target up to 4 or 6 creatures so the best use for it is to make that hoard weaker for your front liners to deal with. Some may save but unless you are unlucky some will fail too.

Hold monster may not always work but when it does it changes an entire encounter most likely. You dont have to take it but I would advise further consideration.

Banishment is a solid option depending on the situation. The biggest problem with it is that unless you use it on a fiend or something it will return and still be a fight you have to deal with, unless your plan was running away after banishing it.
>>
>>45320948
Good point. I'll swap Dispel with something else. I take Magic Missile and Hold Monster and I may swap Banishment, it reminds me that my group is not keen on running away
>>
>>45320948
I really have to recommend one fireball, if no one else in your party can do it. Having one real area attack makes a major difference in the right encounter, and few classes really have that option. It doesn't have to literally be fireball, just something like that.
>>
>>45321019
We have one sorcerer who just LOVE blast spells
>>
>>45321063
>I still fail to understand what sense did this have.
As do we all. Do you know where you are?

>>45321073
Then I imagine you're square on that front.
>>
>>45320991
Sounds solid to me. Most parties do hate to run unless they must.

>>45321019
Fireball is really good but DM dependant. Ive had one DM rule its radius smaller while another one is rulling with it expanding in confined spaces. I do love the spell but talk to your DM before picking it up.
>>
>>45321089
>Most parties do hate to run unless they must.

The rules don't make it easy. If you want running to be an option you've gotta homebrew a rules solution for it.
>>
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/697115448416993280
>inb4 next month's UA is a pack of NPC stat blocks
It's hard to see what to add that isn't easily derived from the MM blocks. Maybe a selection of low- and mid-level casters would be nice, since calculating offensive CR for casters with AoEs is a bitch and a half.
>>
New bread pls
>>
>>45321182
I know they've only got like 20-30 employees, but what do they DO all month?
>>
Which is the highest DPR in game? Please post charts of it.
>>
>>45321722
Short rest resources? Daily resources? How many rounds do you want it to be sustained? Please post glaives.
>>
>>45321829
DPR overall
DPR with short rests
DPR without short rests

Who have the great damage in one round?
Who have the great damage in one day?
>>
>>45321849
Best Single round DPR is either a Paladin, or a Wizard, depending on if you want single or multiple targets.
>>
>>45321722
The highest DPR would probably be the GWM fighter or GWM vengance paladin, depending on circumstances.

I don't have an actual chart but the fighter can deal 8D6 + 60 damage per round with GWM but is very inaccurate when doing so.

Vengance paladin on the other hand has the accuracy buff he can use against one enemy plus hunters mark and the improved smite but less attacks. They do get a reaction attack pretty much every turn with their ability plus sentinel though, so it comes to averyage about 6D6 + 3D6 + 3D8 + 45 per turn.

>>45321849
GWM Paladins do better without short rests and in one day, GWM BM fighters do the most damage in 1 round, doing over 200 damage on average and probably over 250 if you somehow roll close to max damage. 12D6 + 6D12 + 120 dmage if they hit every singe attack, ignoring the possibility of using magic weapons.
>>
I'm pretty sure GWF/GWM Battle Master has the highest nova.

2d6 (reroll 1 & 2) + 5 Str + 10 GWM x8 or potentially x8, + 1d12 superiority die x6

24.33 x8 + 6.5 x6 = 233,64 damage. Throw another 24.33 + 8.33 damage on that if they manage even a single crit. The round after that you can pull off 24.33 x8 (194.64) with their second action surge.

Paladin GWM/GWF is meanwhile 24.33 + 6d8 x2 (102.66), with a shit-ton of damage added if they manage a crit (like an extra 32.66 + 12d8, or 86.66). It's still not near the BM's total, though they have spell slots enough to do that for almost three turns before they're spent.

Assassin can pull off like (2d6 + 5 + 20d6 + 2d6) thanks to autocrit, then doubled if they get a surprise round and the creature fails its save, that's like 178 damage with no resources spent.
Thread posts: 362
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.