[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The Dwarves have discovered a rich vein of weightless metal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: DonnaTunnel2.jpg (96KB, 666x479px) Image search: [Google]
DonnaTunnel2.jpg
96KB, 666x479px
>The Dwarves have discovered a rich vein of weightless metal

What would happen?
>>
that doesn't even make sense
>>
Future generations of dwarves come out about 5-6 feet tall.
Turns out they aren't naturally short, they just insisted on putting their kids in full plate from an early age.
>>
>>45284527
It's fantasy.

>>45284507
The dwarves storm the the surface world, then take their empire to space.
>>
>>45284507
They'd use it to create airships.

If it truly is weightless, but still occupies a certain volume, than it is lighter than the air it displaces and therefore buoyant.

It could also be pretty useful in shipbuilding, I suppose, or high-rising structures to reduce the weight placed upon the foundation, but you'd have to worry about your girders and bolts floating away when you're building it in the first place.
>>
Nothing.
>>
the minute they mine it it floats into space
>>
>>45284507
Wieghtless, as in hovers in the air wherever you put it? Or weightless like Cavorite is?

In the first case, unless something is made entirely of it it'll have some weight and sink (very slowly). But it would reduce the overall density, so useful for build boats and stuff. Basically, they've discovered naturally occurring Aerogel.

In the second case, how the hell does it exist on the planet to begin with? In the same way as heavy metals gather at the Earth's core, surely all the Cavorite has flown off into the depths of space.
>>
Depends.
Have the Dwarves also figured out how to make giant mecha powered by the hearts of Dragons?
Because if so, we get my favorite mongolian wall scroll.
>>
Discover a new form for currency?
>>
>>45284584
Best answer.
>>
>>45284507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_qUiytLYRc
This, I guess.
>>
>>45284507

I imagine the ensuing explosion would wipe out most of the continent, if not the planet.
>>
>>45284507
They'd mine it. Use it. Eventually run out. Discover a way to alloy it. And then produce lots of light weight arms and armor.
>>
>>45284690
My immediate assumption would be that this shows the world didn't form in the same way that Earth did in our universe. Which, y'know, isn't surprising, since most worlds with dwarves of the fantasy kind have gods and suchlike to do that sort of thing. They probably just put the antigravitium where they wanted it and left it at that.
>>
>>45284507
Figuratively mythril
>>
>They mine it
>It was the only thing suspending the planet
>It falls into the star
>>
>>45285369
>They mine it
>Realize just before it's too late that it's holding up the world
>Set up a massive complex to defend what remained of the veins

>Many generations later, people forgot where it was
>Apocalpyse cult trying to find the place and destroy it
>PCs and good guys trying to get there, save it, and re-establish the order that once protected it
>>
>>45285369
>ME AM PLAY GODS
>>
>>45284690
>In the second case, how the hell does it exist on the planet to begin with?
One must assume that it originated some time after the surrounding rock had formed, probably as the result of some sort of enormous magical catastrophe in the distant past. Which would also explain how a material that shits on the laws of physics could exist in the first place.

>ancient arch-mage once had a tower on top of the mountain
>he fucked up a massively powerful ritual and got BTFO
>unleashed magical energies distort reality around the former tower, destroying mass
>weightless things on the surface gradually float away, but deep underground they remain trapped
>>
>>45284507
they would make absolutly useless weapons out of it
>>
>>45286179
It's WEIGHTless, not MASSless.
It'd be AMAZING for weapons, because F=ma.
>>
>>45286361
I don't think you can physics.

Weight is the mass times gravity, so nothing. There is a reason weightlessness doesn't exist.
>>
>>45286361
>anti-gravity

Nah. A metal with extremely high tensile strength and hardness but extremely low density (much lighter than air) is a much cooler idea.

You could make gigantic anime swords with it. Or just normal-sized swords that develop a new fighting style due to them being so easy to move around. Maybe they put a core of steel in so that its exactly as dense as air and thus you can just leave it floating in the air if you let go of it.

The floating blademasters of ThirÁrdum.
>>
File: image.jpg (68KB, 909x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68KB, 909x600px
>>45286361
So could I use it to make a size 9 sword that I could actually use in battle? Because if so that would be awesome.
>>
It gets stuck to whatever wall the planet is rotating with, when brought to the surface will either fly into the sky or stick to the ground until it eventually flies into the sky based on the time of day.

If the shit is weightless it gets to ignore all gravity and thus only the movement of the planet and actual collision with other material will keep it under control.
>>
>>45286573
Yes. You'd still have to have a high minimu strength stat to use it without penalties though.
>>
File: 2517-25891.gif (50KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
2517-25891.gif
50KB, 320x240px
>>45286573
>mfw even the size 1 sword is basically a 2-hander
>>
>>45287074
It's a "Largest sword size you allow in your setting" image.
>>
>>45284507

HOw the fuck would it get there? It would have floated to the surface, unless someone placed ti there deliberately.

hopefully it's not a load bearing vein of weightless metal
>>
File: 1435627067441.jpg (142KB, 475x858px) Image search: [Google]
1435627067441.jpg
142KB, 475x858px
>>45287263

What if all the metals were abnormally heavy in the setting and the largest sword is a knife?
>>
Sky Pirates, man.

Fucking Sky Pirates
>>
>>45284507
>it floats into low orbit
>>
>>45287723
That seems odd. You'd have to consider that anything beyond small scale metalworking is pretty much impossible, and that would change the battlefield fundamentally.
It would look like a goddamn Aztec war.
>>
File: df1[1].png (93KB, 600x860px) Image search: [Google]
df1[1].png
93KB, 600x860px
Weightless in what context? At sea level? Under the sea? On a mountain? In space? Iron is weightless in space.

This is such a retarded thread, but I'll leave it up to whomever wishes to keep going.
>>
>>45288078
>>45284637
I'm sure if it did that, someone could figure out how to keep the rest that they mine from leaving the planet's surface.
>>
>>45288247
Shouldn't it be 'Master Baiter'?
>>
>>45287263
Past 4 is outrageously silly, but I'd probably still allow it
>>
File: 1453490173662.jpg (523KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
1453490173662.jpg
523KB, 700x500px
>>45288136
Sounds good to me.
>>
>>45287723
Then it's not a sword, it's a knife. A really heavy knife.
>>
Zeppelins, zeppelins everywhere.
>>
>>45284507
Upsidaysium?
>>
>>45286985
I read that as
>You'd still have to have a high minimu strength stat to use it without panties though.
>>
>>45286573
Not only, but lolis with oversized weapons would become reality
>>
>>45288514
well, that depends : is it magnetic?
>>
>>45291200
>magnetic lighter-than-air material allow the creation of airships with smaller balloons and quicker speeds
>age of sail setting but in the skies
>Pirates use light and quick ships favoring boarding tactics to take over merchant ships
>"law enforcement" ships are giant by comparison but can camouflage themselves as clouds
>they approach pirates and shoot them bags of metal
>the bags fail to do much damage but, instead, get stuck in places where pirates have no access due to the magnetic properties of the new material
>Pirate ship becomes too encumbered to escape and they get arrested
>>
>>45289712
The most common assassination manouver is called the "Damocles Sword"
>>
>>45284507
Fucking Oxium Ospreys everywhere
>>
>>45291923
Soo if the lightmetal is magnetic as fuck, what would be the weaponry of choice? Them swords out of obsidian bits? Bow and arrow?

Also why not just shoot the gasbags to reduce lift? If the ship is barely heavier than air by itself, it would float down slowly, allowing capture.
>>
>>45284507
METABARON
METABARON
METABARON
>>
>>45287074
>compared to the size of a woman
>>
>>45296487
I may be wrong here, but I do believe the weight of the arrowhead factors into the penetration power against armored targets. The obvious advantage would be that it, theoretically, would have unlimited range due to it never decreasing in altitude, but friction would still apply, so that attribute isn't quite as great as one might think. We don't know anything else about the metal in question though. What's its cutting edge properties like? Melting point? Is it soft like gold?
>>
>>45296901
Stone/obsidian arrowheads. Sure, not the best, but workable.

>>45296901
>What's its cutting edge properties like? Melting point? Is it soft like gold?
Well we are kinda bullshitting the setting here, aren't we?

If something interesting requires it to be something specific in other undefined qualities then it is viable to declare!

Also, alloys. Gain some weight, gain other properties.
>>
>>45284507
IRL? It's sold as weight loss medicine unless they can find enough to make industrial applications worth consideration.
>>
>airships
>lighter then air metal
>space elevators not impossible

Sounds like we have a world in buildng here.

Well done.
>>
>>45297033
One could of course create shafts of the new metal, assuming said shafts wouldn't actually be significantly affected by wind
>>
>>45284507
An endless horde of demons emerges from the vein, destroys the whole fortress and then the whole world.

Do you even dorf fort god dammit.
>>
The dwarves begin trying to see its effect when added to liquor. Because dwarf. Alternatively, they'd probably make some super-lightweight projectile. Maybe bullets or crossbow bolts, or perhaps even javelins.

Additonally, I cannot into physics, so that's a thing.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.