[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/srg/ - Shadowrun General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 330
Thread images: 37

File: 1379056980294.jpg (16KB, 500x337px) Image search: [Google]
1379056980294.jpg
16KB, 500x337px
> Connecting to Shadownet...
> Verifying Biometrics...
> Identity Verified...
> Opening /SRg/...

Books:
http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr

Chummer 5:
https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases/latest

Last Thread:>>44899732

What was the saddest moment in your Campaign?
>>
>>44965644
When my DMPC betrayed her comrades to save her skin and got shot in the head by the guy she hired to kill the PC.

I am not a good GM.
>>
>>44957744
>The Great Ghost Dance was blood magic too, do you hate the NAN as well?
>Not hating the fucks that destroyed the USA and killed thousands to fuck around and do nothing

>>44959509
>Bioware over cyberware is crazy too. Like you honest to god should not even bother with cyber limbs when you can just get some musle replacements or toner.
Yeah, bioware is so much better than cyber in 5E that still being around cyber honestly makes very little sense.
>>
>>44959509
Depends on what you want.
Advantages include:
- tons of condition monitor boxes
- tons of capacity for extra armor, smuggling compartments, internal air tanks, modular arms with built-in toolsets, hidden medkits, superspeed legs, you name it.
- does not get fucked by background count
- getting the best initiative boost possible (needs internal router to prevent wifi fuckery tho).

Cyber has lost it's status as primary samurai gear and is now more often used for the "cyberarm of awesome" for mundanes that need to shoot stuff.

Personally, I like it because you can put all kinds of shit into it - plenty of which isn't even illegal. "Abuse" the capacity for the win.
>>
>if an icon is not running silent you can see all files it carries, even if those are protected

Am I reading this wrong or is this the dumbest shit ever?
>>
>>44967501
You can see the file's existence but not get into it.
>>
>>44967525
Yes, I understand, but that's idiotic already. Not since the computer-AIDS ridden days of limewire have I let the world check out my files. And even then it was limited to specific folders.

"Oh, look at that guy! He has the files businesstransactions.txt, internal-HR-reports.txt and embarrassing-office-christmas-party.mp4 on his commlink!"
>>
>>44967501
You're probably reading it wrong. Not much to gain by being able to see filenames when you can't open the files.
>>
Why are augmentations so much more expensive in SR5? Would it be bad taste if I asked to use SR4 prices?
>>
>>44969497
The reason is faulty nanomachines are causing a big scare among the sheep, so everyone's going back to pre-nano building methods.
>>
>>44969497
Because in 4e, a street sam could start with nearly anything they wanted out of char gen. They tried to balance this by radically jacking prices up but that just means that unless the GM pays super well each run (And I mean very well. I pay around 10k per head per run on the low end and none of my players could really afford any major new ware before ten runs in) they'll never be able to upgrade from char gen. It is a problem that's hard to really fix

So no, it wouldn't be in bad form. Just use the 4e price list when it is cheaper and everyone will have a good time (oddly, one of my players found his build was cheaper in 5e but he used lots of esoteric bio shit).
>>
>>44969497
I have houseruled in 5e that all Cyberware (including enhancements and accessories) are half the nuyen cost. It makes Cyberware fit better as the "cheap, effective, and the holistic nightmare" augmentation option that the fluff depicts it as.
>>
What's the best version of adobe reader to downgrade to?
The newest version was a fucking mess and sumatrapdf doesn't play nice with 4e chummer
>>
>>44971880
Either don't use adobe or switch to the version before the current one.
>>
>>44970403
Half may be a bit much, but 10-25% seems pretty reasonable from my experience.
>>
I'm drafting up a campaign. Near the climax, their shady fixer wants to get rid of the players by giving them a suicidal job (with the expectation that the players will turn down the job or fake their deaths). No one I will be playing with will be super familiar with shadowrun.

What are some Run concepts where a little IC research or Knowledge of the setting will reveal it to be a really, REALLY bad idea. Right now all I can think of is attempting to assassinate Lofwyr while he's visiting Seattle, or dressing up as SURGE mutants and visiting a Humanis lodge.
>>
>>44972860
I'm not sure how relevant this is anymore, but what about trying to hack an ultra violet server in hotsim
>>
>>44967501
This is why you use protected folders in protected folders. They will be able to see the first folder, but they need to crack encryption to see past that point.
>>
>>44973130
That will kill the decker, but everyone else will get off scott free.

Maybe something like "Attack the annual Knight Errant family luncheon." or "Blow up the nuclear powerplant."
>>
>>44970403
I ditch the existence of synthetic cyberlimbs, and allow synthskin on obvious cyberlimbs. I also ignore Aaron's "cyberlimbs use natural limits" ruling.
>>
>>44973339
Cyberskulls, too. Partial Skull replaces them entirely, and can be taken up to 3 times.
>>
>>44972860
So you're introducing them to Shadowrun with a suicide mission they won't expect? Keep in mind, if they have experience in D&D they'll probably actually try to do the job because they're player characters and consequences don't exist. Just seems to me like you may put them off
>>
>>44974446
This would be the fourth act of the campaign, not the beginning. I'm hoping that the runs leading up to it will teach them enough about the world to recognize when they're getting a bad deal.
>>
>>44972860
Universal Brotherhood.

It's shorthand for 'Bad News' amongst players.

Or something involving Aztech and magic.
>>
>>44974738
Would Universal Brotherhood work with In-character knowledge? I thought that their actions were heavily covered up.
>>
>>44974792
I thought Ares exposed them at some point?
>>
>>44977626
Did they.

I still dunno about the universal brotherhood. That seems more "We're in over our heads" which players find enticing, when I need "This is outright self destructive"
>>
Friendly reminder that Horizon is best megacorp.
>>
>>44974792
It went public after Chicago
>>
>>44977761

A great Dragon also counts

>>44977871

Too bad they lost against Azzies
>>
>>44977871
Is the Horizon deal with Mind Control canonical or is it one of those things where it's rumored but up to the GM.
>>
>>44974738
There izzzzzz nothing wrong with the Univerzzzal Brotherhood, fellow human!
>>
>>44978867
They have been experimenting with psychotropic suggestion in ads, to little real effect.

IIRC they make PAB units though, and that's as real mind control as you can get next to Mr. Snakes
>>
Well, the first session of my new campaign just ended with one of the players firing a frag rocket into the gunner door of a transport helicopter in the middle of a football field
This is going to be a fun campaign to DM for
>>
So Run Faster says koborokuru have less abundant body hair than standard dwarves but then the metavariant attributes table says they have Unusual Hair, and this supposed unusual hair is not described anywhere. So what the hell are they supposed to look like?
>>
>>44980333
The lack of body hair is the unusual part about it
>>
So what bioware would an ork poser get to look like an ork? Tusks are pretty obvious, but what else?
>>
>>44981605
Muscle augmentation
>>
>>44981605
Uglification.
>>
>>44981605
Impaired attribute: Log
>>
Hey /tg/

After doing some reading I may try to get a Shadowrun game going with my friends.

I still haven't decided between 4e and 5e (need to read through both and see the differences)
One thing I think I've decided is to not include Technomancers for my first game - the rules for them just seem to be complicating my understanding so far, but I may just need more time.

A question I have - Does anyone have a REALLY good GM screen PDF, or good cheat sheet? The GM screen I have has great stuff but I need more than that. Opposed Charisma attribute rolls, base difficulties for knowledge checks - all kinds of stuff.

Second question - Are there any good books other than Contacts and Adventures that might recommend a good way to go about "building" some runs for my group? I am so new to this setting, coming from a combination of 40k and D&D, and its so different that I am worried about not having a basis for reference on making runs.

Thanks ahead of time!
>>
>>44982064
Cheatsheets out the whazoo in the pastebin, friend. 5e only, but I'm sure there's a good chummer out there with something for 4e.

As for runs, read all the official missions and adventures and the like, might give you some insight into how the official devs do things.

And edition and technomnacers? Don't start, we'll just get into arguing amongst ourselves, but I prefer 5e, whilst technomancers are far from the most complicated thing in the game. That award goes to mages (read their shit as carefully and in-depth as you can), whilst technomancers are basically deckers with an in-built deck and a few extra fun things that are basically copy-pasta'd in mechanics from mage rules, with a specific focus on the matrix. Simple enough, in my experience, but you do you.
>>
File: tumblr_mfdd0wIZpt1s15c8go1_400.gif (921KB, 313x150px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mfdd0wIZpt1s15c8go1_400.gif
921KB, 313x150px
Thread died pretty much at my previous post. A thought: Would the Reese Witherspoon character from Freeway make a good runner concept?
>>
>>44982285
Thanks a bunch for the advice! I am still finishing reading 4e rules, and going to see about 5e next. I definitely have no idea which I will run yet. Time will tell!

I will make sure to read more carefully on Mages and Technomancers. Maybe I CAN figure it out for my first game.

Thanks for the advice!
>>
>>44980333
Someone changed the fluff between 4th and 5th without removing the Unusual Hair quality. In 4th, they have extensive body hair, but are typically bald. Clockwise from the left in this picture, you'll see a Harumen, Koborokuru, Gnome and Menehune.
>>
Full Corp SINners have been surrounded by corporate culture for the majority of their lives. What sort of traits do you think that would lend themselves to? I'm trying to flesh out my character a bit, and all I can really think of is he subconsciously hums along to jingles.
>>
File: image.jpg (102KB, 597x348px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102KB, 597x348px

How stupid must you be to think making Frosty Harlequin's girlfriend would be a good idea?
>>
>>44985504
Only buying brands of guns/armor/electronics/whatever connected to your parent corp; subtle disgust at the SINless that you are trying to hide; being more comfortable with corporate scrip than with nuyen; getting jittery and paranoid on runs against parent corp.
>>
>>44985764
I think that's the implication.
>>
>>44985764

> Half-dragon
> Uses other people to achieve goals
No shit?
>>
>>44986102
>getting jittery and paranoid
This, mostly. Unless her job at the mega involved dealing with deniable agents, your character should not be very familiar with fixers, Yakuzas, street-docs, smugglers and the various kinds of out-laws and SINless that runners deal with on a regular basis.
That's even more fun if you don't tell your group that you are corp-born and you wait to see how they react to your subtle blend of paranoia and wonder.
>>
>>44987459
Really depends on how long they've been running. Even standard fresh characters aren't completely new to how things work.
>>
>>44988711
Not necesarily, it all depends on what prior experience they have had.
For example a full-SIN character could go for an angle similar to Rock form Black Lagoon, his corp sold him out and he found himself stranded with a group of mercs with nowhere else to go, so he joined up, but was still competent in his own ways.
Heck, even combat characters could be ex-military or ex-LEOs and not have much or any experience with the shadows.
>>
>>44988973
>For example a full-SIN character could go for an angle similar to Rock form Black Lagoon
At the point where he starts his career, Rock is completely inexperienced in combat in any form. He'd be street scum focused 100% on attributes plus social and knowledge skills, not a runner. The point where he starts tipping over into being a callous bastard would also be the point where his story switches from background to someone's newly rolled standard character.

You can subvert it with some effort, but the core assumption of a new character is not completely clueless with no experience in the shadows.
>>
Starting my first Shadowrun campaign.

We are playing 5th edition and have no clear book limitations yet (so far none).

My character concept is a hard to kill hacker/technomancer/rigger/whatever suits the concept best whose objective, disregarding the law, is to maximize the opportunity for decision making for everyone involved within the limitations of the mission.

Any advice regarding which books could help me with this? Whatever it is, something that could help me heal, use artificial bodies and sabotage systems would be welcome.
>>
>>44989539
>maximize the opportunity for decision making for everyone involved within the limitations of the mission.
I'm unsure what you mean by this.
>>
>>44989528
Actually, most of the SR games have had the characters start out as newbies to running.
>>
>>44989572
It is basically a non violent form of fighting irrational authority from the bottom up. By engagin in specific missions, he can not only make money, but he can make sure that slowly everyone has less of a grip/control on everyone else. For example, he would try to stop someone with a doomsday device but not so much someone just following orders from a corrupt corporation or government, but rather would try to create circumstances in which he can stop following those orders with a lesser undesirable consequence (while simultaneously getting paid).
>>
>>44989613
With absolutely zero previous experience, aka this was their first run / encounter with a fixer, Johnson, etc?
>>
>>44989539
Start by reading the book. The Matrix section is one of the better-written parts, and covers what you want.

Generally speaking, in 5e at chargen you can do two two things - hacking and rigging, hacking and face, rigging and street sam, ect. Trying to do everything spreads you really thin, and is the cardinal mistake of the people that think mystic adepts are bad.

Hacking and rigging have a lot of overlap, but both require a very significant investment to be good enough. Doing both is possible, but requires compromises. Being a rigger costs a boatload of money and skills, while being a decker costs a lot of money and skills, and being a technomancer costs a lot of attributes and skills.
>>
>>44989778
For the most part, yes.
>>
>>44989831
What would be better for mind uploading into a squad of drones and being overall hard to kill (either thanks to redundancy or some sort of regeneration), technomancer/rigging or hacking/rigging?
>>
>>44989778
Thats only for street level. The recommended level is established runners; you have some skill, your known, its not your first run, you dont stand out ammoung the other runners too much but your starting to make impressions. You can start at street level ie your first run but that is somewhat harder on certain builds
>>
File: 1445537992599.jpg (165KB, 749x1026px) Image search: [Google]
1445537992599.jpg
165KB, 749x1026px
>>44990258
Precisely.
>>
>>44990101
>>44989539
> objective, disregarding the law, is to maximize the opportunity for decision making for everyone involved within the limitations of the mission
In 5e, this means having high intuition, charisma, leadership, and small unit tactics.
>>
>>44990258
Street Level to me though implies that they're doing some low-tier crime that isn't really related to shadowrunning, you're pretty much have the abilities of capable gangers as opposed to starting Shadowrunners, so you're not necessarily meeting up with a Johnson and actually in the Shadowrun community, but just getting hired by some small time guy to go do a small time job. I typically run it so that the group coming in, it's usually their first shadowrun, although they've had plenty of experience in small-time jobs and just finally got noticed and picked up by a fixer.
>>
>>44990551
Nice. And what about the drones and healing thing? What else would be useful? Technomancer/Rigger is a viable option for this?
>>
Heyo, brand new soon-to-be Shadowrun GM.

I was looking at Shadowrun editions, and I've heard great things about both 4e and 5e

First off, I am NOT trying to start an edition war. Please don't.

Now, the question I have is, can someone/some people give me a good idea of some OBJECTIVE differences between 4e and 5e. Not things like "5e is easier to learn", or "4e didn't break _____". I would like to hear things like "They removed _____, or added _______"

If I could get some good ideas of this, that would be excellent! I have almost finished reading the 4e Core rules (just have to learn about Technomancers), and I might be starting into 5e soon to see what the differences are, but I wanted to get a headstart on that.

Thank you ahead of time!
>>
>>44992065
>Nice.
It goes with Technomancy fairly well, too - at least, if you want to create an elvish brute force TM.

>And what about the drones and healing thing?
Regen is going to be all but impossible to get during chargen. What you can do instead - take one FFBA suit, add YNT Softweave for 5 capacity, and install a Saviour Medkit.

>Technomancer/Rigger is a viable option for this?
Rigging and Technomancy go together like cheese and dogshit. You won't be able to jump into a vehicle until you initiate, and you won't be able to slave devices to a technomancer ever.
You could do decking and rigging, but you will have to cut corners on one, if not both.

>What else would be useful?
Taking a step back from, "I want to do everything!"
>>
>>44992236
Get back to us after you read both core books.
>>
>>44992065
Regeneration is a power a few types of infected have (notably vampires).

The control rig cyberware, which technomancers can also acquire with a submersion, lets you jump into a drone and control it as your body, but this only works for one drone at a time.

Directing multiple drones is most effectively done with a rigger command console. A commlink can also be used, but it lacks a lot of features like program sharing that will make your drone mob less effective.
>>
>>44992236
I'd recommend reading them both. Main Differences.

- Priority Chargen

-4e uses commlink hacking

-4e has more sourcebooks, YMMV if that is a good thing.

- 4E uses Build Points.
>>
>>44992933
>4e uses commlink hacking
This isn't a difference as of Data Trails.
>4e has more sourcebooks
5e corebooks are all out now.
>>
>>44992236
4e
>Relatively simple and easy. It's been out for a while so the majority of problem issues have fixes somewhere.
>More overall content, better content, content that has some degree of actual editing. (No, really, 5e basically wasn't edited at all. Go look at the books if you think I'm joking. Conflicting fucking sections EVERYWHERE, and the layout of the books is infinitely worse.)
>Magic is strong but not actually overpowered
>Prices aren't hilariously fucked up for no reason
>You don't have to ignore runs and go hunt corporate Spiders to gain nuyen

5e
>It's new, shiny, and popular with idiots. You'll find plenty of games. They'll probably be shit because you're trying to play a game with basically an alpha, but hey, it's a game technically. Ignore that there's no HUD, half the controls don't work, and that the guidebook is written in six different languages that are all interspersed together and you know none of them.
>All the shitty rules. Wireless bonuses because they caved to grognards for no reason, shitty "Hurr hurr the future uses all hard-wired stuff" for no reason, pricing is GOD FUCKING AWFUL on a lot of shit. Rain somehow renders all technology useless and shuts it off because in the FUTURE our tech has become so shit that a light rainstorm turns it off.
>Continuing the rules thing because fuck this will be long
>Limits. Oh hey a mechanic that literally does nothing. LITERALLY does nothing because you will never have a high enough dicepool for limits to ever matter.
>Ruined initiative system worse than 4e did, because... reasons. Some sort of shit with wanting to, yet again, appease grognards that never actually played old editions.
>Everything to do with prioritygen. Seriously, even BP-gen is better, and BP-gen is kinda crap. Karmagen isn't really any better than that, granted, because WOLOLOLO scaling costs for shit because FUCK you if you want to be good at shit.
>Accuracy. Oh hey, another shit mechanic because no fucking reason.

Cont.
>>
>>44966873
Cyberware is cheaper though and it can work with your gear. Also this>>44966932
>>
>>44993534
The GOOD parts of 5e are basically this:

Weapon types actually have different damage ratings. Your sniper is now a legitimately useful weapon which is a threat, and does not instantly lose out massively to a high-rating bow wielded by a strong person. Heavy shit is now actually heavy, small shit is still somewhat of a threat unless you have a lot of armor. It's good.

They also helped melee a bit, which is appreciated. Movement is still ass.

Magic got nerfed a decent bit which was sort of needed but honestly it didn't need to get hit as hard as it did.
>>
>>44993607
>Your sniper is now a legitimately useful weapon which is a threat, and does not instantly lose out massively to a high-rating bow
Do your parties never set up snipers beyond bowshot range? THAT'S where rifles shine.
>>
>>44993947
In 99% of encounters in this game, you will never have that oppurtunity, and snipers use Longarms which is the worst gun skill in the game. Even fucking automatics gets you Battle Rifles, which can hit nearly as far.

Shit, Heavy Weapons? Grab an assault cannon and hit farther with more damage, OR use an LMG, OR use a grenade launcher, OR use rockets.

Snipers aren't bad because of the weapon, they're bad because the skill is a shit investment.
>>
>>44992447
>>44992536
Ok, so I should not go technomancer/rigger. I could go vampire/nosferatu rigger then?

This seems like the most suitable decision. Not only I specialize more, but can also get regen in case shit hits the fan (and consiering GM´s profile, it will and in the worst possible way for each character).

So:
-Vampire
-Drones
-Control rig cyberware
-FFBA suit
-Add YNT Softweave
-Saviour medkit

Thanks for the advice so far.
>>
>>44992236
/srg/ doesn't know shit about the game because /srg/ doesn't play.
Main differences: matrix rehaul, 5e has limit/accuracy mechanics, prices are higher, powerlevel is lower, 5e has custom drug creation mechanics for PCs, damage gone up, technomancers a shit.
>>
>>44994074
That won't work, I'm afraid.
Core rules p. 400:
"Regeneration is incompatible with augmentations. Critters with Regeneration cannot receive augmentations; surgical incisions close too quickly to perform the implantation. Critters with augmentations who gain this power will reject their augmentations as the power repairs the existing genetic template."
>>
>>44994258
What about a vampire technomancer then?
>>
>>44994074
You're spreading yourself too thin.

-Drones
-Control rig cyberware
-FFBA suit
-Add YNT Softweave
-Saviour medkit
Go with this.
>>
>>44994311
All vampires have a magic rating, as they are magical creatures, and magic is inherently incompatible with resonance.
>>
>>44994048
>In 99% of encounters in this game, you will never have that oppurtunity
Get a better GM. I'll agree with you on the skill breakdown, considering that AR models and the like should fall under Longarms, not Automatics.
>>
>>44994258
Keep in mind, 4e rules said that GMs could decide to handwave that away with deltaware or better.
>>
>>44994683
>Get a better GM
He's exaggerating, but not wrong. Most of the time you're not setting up and getting the drop on people coming to you. That doesn't mean it can't happen - just that most runs happen inside buildings.
>>
>>44994708
Trust me, I know. Muh infected are shit now. ;_; Everything is worse. Fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>44994708
And in 5e, regeneration isn't an option for Infected until at least two in-game months later.

>Many of the qualities have a list of Optional Powers. These powers can be bought with Karma as the campaign progresses; Infected characters do not start with any of these powers.
>Only one Optional Power can be purchased every two in-game months.
>>
>>44994708
That hasn't changed, btw.
>>
>>44994798
Most runs involve escape and chase at some point. In those common cases, having someone on overwatch is a godsend. That's what sniper rifles are for, overwatch and assassination.
>>
>>44994828
So don't play 5e.
>>
>>44994860
Oh god, it's even worse! Just stake me now!
>>
>>44994891
Huh. Didn't know 5e rules still had that aside.

Even if they didn't, though, Rule Zero exists.
>>
>>44994891
>>44994946
Are you sure? Doesn't it only say that infection in general reduces your bioware's rating by 1 and all non-delta implants may be rejected?
>>
File: 1357594474516.gif (3MB, 470x264px) Image search: [Google]
1357594474516.gif
3MB, 470x264px
>>44994942
Special snowflake players into the oven.

Fuck off with your infected hackervampireotherkin with MyLittlePony references.
You fucks are one of the main reasons to stay away from fourth, way to many options for faggy manchild that_guy persons to insert their sexual fetishes into the game.
>>
>>44995280
Go fuck yourself with a vibroknife. I have been GM'ing every week for two years straight, I deserve my speshul snowflake character now.
>>
File: 1446952159586.jpg (1007KB, 1484x2158px) Image search: [Google]
1446952159586.jpg
1007KB, 1484x2158px
>>44995280
>all dis projection
Show me on the image where the vampire bit you, anon.
>>
>>44994892
How often does your overwatch include your sniper sitting a mile and a half out with a perfectly clear shot to every possible place that you might be going and to whoever is chasing you? Legitimate question here, how often do you have fights in perfectly flat areas with zero cover, obstructions, buildings, or anything else here for a kilometer and a half?

Because that's the situation that snipers are useful in, and nothing else, unless you're using a Walther. The Walther is good, because it doesn't fail hard if it ever moves, only if it's used in melee.

Anything else? Use a BR or AR.

Or just use an assault cannon and be better than both.
>>
>>44995002
There are rules for becoming infected ingame, and what happens to your currently installed augs. This does not affect augs you install after being Infected.

Then there are rules for what happens when you regenerate.
>>
>>44995763
>Because that's the situation that snipers are useful in, and nothing else
The Marine Corps Scout-Snipers seem to disagree.
>>
>>44995860
>bringing real life to SR rules fight
>>
>>44995860
You are aware that snipers have rules that mean that if they move around at all during combat or do anything but sit still, they start taking massive penalties to shooting at all, yes?
>>
File: 2kL3DlA.gif (220KB, 240x287px) Image search: [Google]
2kL3DlA.gif
220KB, 240x287px
>>44995444
No you don't, go to hui, blyad.

>>44995712
Here, right where it says "into the oven with you".
>>
File: h1y1Jlj.jpg (70KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
h1y1Jlj.jpg
70KB, 800x600px
>>44995986
Can't hear you over the sound of all the fun.
>>
File: SieSehenMichRodeln.jpg (210KB, 700x528px) Image search: [Google]
SieSehenMichRodeln.jpg
210KB, 700x528px
>>44995986
No.
>>
>>44995974
Edge. Stop making Edge a dumpstat, and this won't be a problem.

In 4e, anyway.
>>
>>44993534

>Limits do nothing.

They make it so that you can't solely rely on skill points. If you tank a character's mental stats (say, 2 each of LOG INT and WIL), then put 6 (+2 Visual) ranks into Perception, he's still not going to be able to notice shit (Limit of 2) despite rolling 10 dice.

It also means that a crazy lucky attack roll won't just obliterate someone.
>>
>>44996574

Oops, messed up the math. He'd need 1 LOG to have a Mental Limit of 2.
>>
>>44996574
But then you get glasses with rating 3 vision enhancement for the +3 to limit for visual perception.
>>
File: 1448556847483.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1448556847483.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>44995986
I'm with this guy, in all my years of playing I've only seen a single well done infected character out of dozens. The rest were some of the worst examples of minmaxing and powergaming imaginable.
>>
>>44996906
Sorry you don't have better players, anon. I really am. Infection is a powerful tool with which to drive a story.
>>
>>44996574
I only have one skill that even approaches the limit
>>
>>44973276
By that logic, people should just make hundreds of encrypted folders in encrypted folders. jus sayin
>>
File: 1450178302026.gif (451KB, 450x340px) Image search: [Google]
1450178302026.gif
451KB, 450x340px
>>44997220
Its a sledgehammer to be used by the unimaginatives and snowflakers, nothing more.
>>
playing this game for the first time this week, what are some major rule differences with dnd? I know for instance there are die pools instead of d20
>>
>>44997659
You seem to be attempting to make an argument by pointing out (what you see as) the absurd.

>A file is a collection of data. It can be a film, a song, a book, financial records, an image, a news article, and so on. It can even be a collection of other files (a “folder”).

>To protect a file, make a Simple Computer + Logic [Data Processing] test. The number of hits you get becomes the rating of the protected file. A protected file cannot be read, changed, deleted, or copied until its protection is broken.

Yes, that could technically work. It's not going to be easy to work with, though.
>>
>>44998902
http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/missions/background/

Read this.
>>
>>44999263
>be decker
>encrypt file using test
>if encrypt rating is 2 low, break it and redo
>repeat
>make ur gm and party mad
>never get your files broken into
>doesnt matter because no one is going to play with you to ever make such a possibility be possible

=-)
>>
>>44999670
>use so many encrypted folders your GM asks for a Memory test just to access actual files
FUN.
>>
>>45000474
>to get around this put the encryption keys in a file
>forget to protect it
>>
>>45000474
>not forcing your GM to press a gun to their own temple by stating you kept your actual important files on a throwback device after making dozens of encryption tests.
>>
>>45000747
>dozens of layers of encrypted folders leave to a lol.txt file
>revealing to your gm that you kept your important files on a throwback phone
>>
>>44998440
>implying you could use a scalpel if one was given to you
None of these players you mention ever bothered trying to hide their infection, did they?
>>
>>45001920
I know this is off topic but the last 4 digits of your post are the width on a 1080p resolution monitor.
I thought that was neat.
>>
File: awesomefacehires.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
awesomefacehires.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>45002569
Huh. Good catch, anon. Have a wallpaper.
>>
File: waaaaaaaaaaaaagh.png (503KB, 400x484px) Image search: [Google]
waaaaaaaaaaaaagh.png
503KB, 400x484px
How ludicrously violent do you let your games get? I was thinking of breaking up a series of quiet mirror shades runs (data gathering ones, one assassination, a theft) with something stupid and violent like a very public hit in a night club to send a message. What mix of quiet operating and drunken runners throwing molotovs through windows do you tend to favor in your games?
>>
>>45002859
My players are participating in a show about shadowrunners which is made by horizon, so they are pretty damn pink mohawk because that brings in the ratings.
For example the first session ended with a frag rocket being fired into the open side door of a helicopter at a crowded football stadium
>>
File: typical run.jpg (374KB, 700x3333px) Image search: [Google]
typical run.jpg
374KB, 700x3333px
>>45003311
See I like pink mohawk in moderation. I generally prefer...not realistic, but more thoughtful future crime before it all ends in violence anyway. That all the time would burn me out.
>>
In the Shadowrun how prominent/knowable would 80s culture and movies be known? Like not even in the whole universe as a whole but in say Seattle.
>>
>>45003412
Not very. It's mostly been taken wholecloth and rebranded for the 2050s, 60s, & 70s.
>>
>>45003517
Alright, would it still exist though or did the timelines diverge there? Like talking about say 80s film, music and art etc.
>>
>>45003538
It still exists in setting. You just might never be able to find it due to however many matrix crashes and general loss of unsupported data.

Then when you describe anything specific ... imagine describing a movie about a team of commandos on a mission in a jungle. They find themselves hunted by an invisible assassin. We're thinking "That sounds like Predator". Everyone in 2075 responds "Manhunt! That trid was awesome."
>>
>>45003656
Alright gotcha, sorry for the continuous questions but I got one more to add. Would Megacorps still have copies or is it lost knowledge like say the Library of Alexandria?
>>
Megacorps?
Maybe horizon in some dusty storage closet /somewhere/ that nobody knows about
Other than that probably a small group of collectors and/or museums.
>>
>>45003656
I've actually just called it Predator. They classically dance around copyrighted names in Shadowrun (Soybucks anyone?) but when they talk about remakes of classic flatvid films in trideo format and describe Predator, I see no reason the name should change either. Starbucks is a literary reference, the Soybucks thing is just a clever joke about food in the future. But Starbucks lawyers will never send your gaming group an angry email unless you've done something unrelated to gaming, so why not change it in play?
>>
>>45003728
Alright gotcha, thanks for being such great help man.
>>
>>45003767
I'm another guy but you're welcome.
>>
>>45003781
Well to both of you to be honest then, both of you helped me a lot
>>
>>45003679
If you want it to exist in your game, or the GM is willing to let you find it in theirs, then go for it.

From the perspective of sixth worlders, it might be a bit hipsterish if someone only watches old flatvids or something, but that character existing fits in perfectly with Gibson and co.
>>
>>45003755
>I’ll admit I loved Manhunt, that remake of the old flatvid with the alien hunting a bunch of mercenaries in the jungle. This stuff makes me think of that trid every time I activate our display. It’s high-tech camouflage at its finest. Add this to your favorite outfit and be ready to blend in anywhere.

It's the description for RPC.
>>
File: CAT27100X_Poster-and-Map_Front.jpg (1MB, 1500x1050px) Image search: [Google]
CAT27100X_Poster-and-Map_Front.jpg
1MB, 1500x1050px
Man shadowrun flags are super shit.
The only decent one is Sioux
>>
File: mary sioux.png (409KB, 407x572px) Image search: [Google]
mary sioux.png
409KB, 407x572px
>>45003938
>>
>>45003938
All of them look like normal flags except for the CAS, which looks like a band logo. And why the fuck is Mobile, Alabama renamed Space City?
>>
>>45003996
Almost all except sioux, quebec, or the carribian league are super overdesigned for a national flag
>>
>>45003938
>take the Stars n' Bars
>pollute it with A FUCKING LEAF
I will never forgive them for this. Reunited States of America fucking when?
>>
How exactly does SURGE work from a fluff direction? I'm working on a campaign and want an NPC that's secretly a SURGE Mutant.

Did all SURGE happen at once when the comet came or was it rolling? What's the average mutation level? From "Cat ears" to "Kronenberg"
>>
File: 200%_AMERICAN.jpg (53KB, 680x607px) Image search: [Google]
200%_AMERICAN.jpg
53KB, 680x607px
>>45004131
>Reunited States of America fucking when?

2080 Presidential Elections, son.
>>
>>45003996
I'm just more confused by Atlanta isn't a fucking Sprawl, and why Huntsville isn't on the map. Given the fact the Huntsville is filled with one of the world's largest research parks, is/was the brains of the NASA with the Marshal Space Flight Center, and has the Arsenal. Like, Huntsville may not be the funnest place to do -- partially because it has one of the highest per capita concentrations of PhD's in the nation -- but it is fucking MADE for a cyberpunk future. We're already more or less owned by Boeing, Raytheon, and Lockheed Martin.

And fucking seriously, Atlanta isn't a Sprawl? For fuck's sake, it's the first A in BAMA which is the fucking original Sprawl in Gibson's Sprawl trilogy.
>>
>>45004143
>Research has explained that the changes were caused by metagenic traits that were damaged over millennia of natural selection, cross-genetic input from viruses or gene therapy, genetic drift and spread, assimilation, dysfunctional repair systems, and mutation by environmental factors such as radiation, pollution, and chemicals. This damaged coding required a certain spike in mana to activate, which first occurred en-masse when Halley’s Comet swung by and threw the Gaiasphere for a loop. Another round of SURGE occurred a few months later when the comet made its second pass. A third major SURGE event has yet to occur, but that does not mean that new changelings are not appearing—or that there is not a new event waiting to cause a new spike and accompanying SURGE.
>Several locations around the globe have highly fluid mana levels, and occasional mana spikes occur randomly. If the right person with the right genetic code is in the right place at the right time, that individual might express.
Once a change has occurred, there is a chance a changeling trait will pass on to offspring. The few studies performed show that genes pass on within the standard range for primary genetic traits. >Thus far all traits discovered are autosomal and not linked to specific sex chromosomes. A changeling’s offspring can exhibit some of the traits of either or both parents, or a plain human baby can result as well.

tl;dr it's caused by a higher-than-normal ambient mana level and behaves in a simlar manner to goblinisation. There's no real 'average' level of mutation, but Class I and II changelings are substantially more common than the extreme changes of Class III.
>>
>>45004143
The Halley comet precipitated thing, acting as the catalyst for a major wave of mutations hitting all at once. Since it went away again, SURGE mutations only manifest rarely.

As for the eventual result, it goes from "minor and easily hidden/explained away with cosmetic body modding" to " abomination that should never have seen the light of day but is somehow alive".
>>
>>45004260
VITAS, Matrix crashes, paracritters, MCs polluting the planet, etc...

Take your pick.
>>
>>45002859

Mirrorshades doesnt imply quietness. It means the attacks are swift and brutal when it goes loud. As in a clear route to drive out, time tables and shit. Hit the targets like a HTR and get out quickly. Its not a showy act like a pink mohawk.
>>
>>45004476
Basically this. It's the sort of run you'd see Molly Millions on, rather than a bunch of pink mohawk nutcases. It's about efficiency and precision and institutional corruption.
>>
>>45004379
Thanks. Plan is to make a Japanese woman who emigrated to Seattle after SURGE gave her lizard scales and eyes.

She's also secretly a member of the Brotherhood of the Dragon. Is that still a thing? The cult that worships Dunklezahn?
>>
Hey /tg/, my group is wanting me to run a shadowrun campaign soonish.

Had no real experience with it and I'm not sure what edition we should jump into.

Mind laying down the big differences, what each does best/worst and such?
>>
>>45004520
Most worship Ghostwalker now, but there is still a group worshipping Big.D.
>>
Hrm, should Bandersnatches get +1 reach on top of the Sasquatch's bonus?
>>
>>45005354
German Run Faster says "Bandersnatches have (like Sasquatches) +1 reach in melee.". So I guess no, it's the same.
>>
>>45005354
Nah. It's just a 'reminder' that the base metavariant has reach. See infected trolls.
>>
>>45005482
>>45005449
>>45005354
>A bandersnatch’s limbs are somewhat elongated compared to its pre-Infected form
The English version says this. I'd say it's there to justify reach beyond the sasquatch default.
>>
>>44987134
That's hardly common knowledge
>>
File: 1419578804634.jpg (205KB, 630x900px) Image search: [Google]
1419578804634.jpg
205KB, 630x900px
>>45005741
To be fair this is also the edition that says koborokuru have 'below-average' hair for a dwarf and then gives them the Unusual Hair quality.
>>45005449
>>45005482
Makes sense, easy done.
>>
>>45006054
Perhaps, but it's a descriptive detail that hasn't changed between editions.
>>
File: 1424368415496.jpg (132KB, 1000x1378px) Image search: [Google]
1424368415496.jpg
132KB, 1000x1378px
>>45006090
Mmm. Eh, whatever. No matter how I handle it someone'll complain, so they can just have 1 reach. Not like anyone actually plays infected anyway.
>>
Okay seriously, what is the deal with the fellation of the sasquatch cock? Why are they so special that they get their own ghoul variant and HMHVV variant? There's like five hundred of the damned things in the UCAS.
>>
>>45006245
Five hundred that people know of. There are things in the woods, chummer. Terrible things.
>>
File: DS-062.jpg (79KB, 500x483px) Image search: [Google]
DS-062.jpg
79KB, 500x483px
>>45006281
Well yes, but that's what we have Shadowrunners for. Capturing and selling those things for money and my amusement.

So next 'Why in dear god did I start looking at Infected again' question, Dzoo-noo-Qua can select Armor as a free critter power, but Armor is supposed to come with a rating. I'm assuming it's just another +1?
>>
>>45006509
I think so, yes. Would make sense, as it's basically duping their base armour rating.
>>
How do you guys Handle traveling about the city. I'm a relatively new dm and I feel transitioning between areas is a bit clunky for me. Mostly important because I want the next run to involve moving around a bit before getting jumped by some gangers they may have inadvertently pissed off when doing Fast Food Fight
>>
>>45007011
Just ask people how they get to X, and after they tell you just say something akin to "Dave, while you're walking along you see a few guys in gang leathers shoot you some dirty looks" or something like that, unless you just want them to get jumped.
No need to do something like initiative for just driving across the city, if something happens then you can go to game-time.
>>
>>45003938
Quebec is kinda OK, if boring. It does look kinda like the scottish flag and the ancien regime's flags were haphazardly nailed together, but still not bad.
>>
>>45007277
That's the real world flag of Quebec
>>
Hey I'm just reading the shadow run rules for the first time and I have a quick question that I swear I haven't been able to find.

Since you have to buy Programs for a decker, I assume this means they get "used up" somehow, correct? If so, how and when do they get "consumed"? Is it only when they get crashed by an enemy Sprite or program?
>>
>>45007833
No, they're not consumable items.
>>
>>45007833
The reason you habe To buy them is the rating. If you have a Rating 3 Scan and want to increase the rating you will have to buy a new program
>>
>>45007906
Well then I need to go fix my character haha.
>>
>>44985764
>caring about the shitty metaplot

It's like you want to be disappointed.
>>
File: Our Lof and Savwyr.jpg (38KB, 750x511px) Image search: [Google]
Our Lof and Savwyr.jpg
38KB, 750x511px
>>45004520
>>45004978
>Not worshipping Lofwyr

The pay's better.
>>
>>44969497
Don't you also have twice as much money as you had in 4e at chargen?
>>
File: 1451823068031.jpg (181KB, 498x483px) Image search: [Google]
1451823068031.jpg
181KB, 498x483px
>>45008416
Screw you, dragon lover
>>
>>45008416
>His pencils are neatly in a line despite living in a post-paper universe

Somehow that seems right.
>>
File: sylvie_by_chung_sae-d9molec.jpg (572KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
sylvie_by_chung_sae-d9molec.jpg
572KB, 1024x1024px
Real talk this was a really bad feels run. Long greentext too.

1/4
>Team gets hired to find a girl kidnapped by ghouls
>Our J is Japanese so we think it's Renraku or some drek
>We do some detective work, find out the ghouls paper trail.
>Find the ghoul hideout (old sewer tunnels), go pink, and get the girl.
>Girl is 12 year old loli (not in that way pervs) with scars all over her body
>Nope out because ferals heard the noise and are on their way.
>Everyone's on overwatch for ferals so I'm babysitting the girl.
> I'm the drone techno so I keep scanning the area, just in case but find girl has a under her scalp.
>Luckily I have the skinlink echo and MMRI so I scan the chip by petting her head.
>At first she's frightened but then she calms down and closes her eyes.
>Data is encrypted and bombed but GM says if I editor for the level of the encryption/bomb I can bypass it.
>Bomb/Encryption L6 so I summon a sprite to assist
>Succeed but take 4 physical drain
>Copy file and keep moving to the exit
>Loli looks at me and smiles and asks if she can play with the fairy.
> I ask what.
> Girl starts chanting a sailor moon thing in japanese, then a cutesy data sprite pops into view and starts chatting with my sprite.
>Team too busy on overwatch to see mfw I realize she's a techno too.
>Exit the tunnel and the J with MCT Zero Zone guards waiting for us
> J asks us to hand the girl over
> We do because it was our job/outgunned
> J takes a wand device and scans her head, chuckles and looks at us.
> J then orders his men to frag us
> Luckily our MysAd supports combat sense went off and he blitzed to put a force 12 phys barrier around us (took 5 physical drain)
>PhysAd takes a shot at the J and grazes him which allows the girl to break free and Mysad uses an action on the turn to extend it to envelop her so she escapes with us.
> We retreat back into the tunnel while the J orders them to get us.
> Part 2 on the way
>>
>>45010225
>not using pencils as throwing weapons
>>
2/4

>PhysAd is muscle troll and pulls the grate off a sewer main and we hide in it.
>Once we jump in he pulls it back into place.
> We hear the feral ghouls heading our way above us.
>Gunfire starts above us and we know that MCTs met the ghouls.
> I send a flyspy from my pocket to watch whats going on above.
> See about 30+ ferals overrun the MCTs
> Let the flyspy get smashed by a ghoul falling on it not to alert them that were here.
>We then have the PhysAd troll punch a hole in sync with the commotion into an adjacent tunnel.
> Nope out using sewer mains leading to the Barrens.
>As I keep petting the girl to keep her calm notice another chip in her neck.
>Scan it and see its an implanted bio monitor with a stealth RFID tracker.
>Get the Oh Shit out my system and tell the group.
>I use Res Veil to simulate a flatline but that means I need to keep patting her head to do so (skinlink).
>We go into another junction that almost puts us at glow city but we exit just before we start seeing the green goo.
>As we exit the sewers we scan the area and see were on the fringes of the barrens.
>Luckily our medic has a safe house here and we hoof it there.
> I'm stuck backpatting the kid so the tracker doesn't go off.
>Girl smiles and rubs her head on my hand like a kitten.
>I know GM is doing this to me on purpose because I hate moeshit.
>We finally get to the safe house and the medic tells us that we need to get the trak chip out of her.
>Girl gets scared but I pat her head and tell her she just needs to sleep for a while and everything will be all right.
>Girl agrees and the medic uses some anesthetic to knock her out.
>I'm still patting her head so it doesn't go off while the medic excises the thing out of her.
>Two hours of headpatting sleepy loli and surgery, the tracking implant is out and we short it before it gets a signal out.
>Just to be save we put it into a faraday bag and throw it into the closest river.
>Part 3 on the way.
>>
3/4

>As she sleeps I remember that I copied the data from her headchip.
>I tell the medic about the chip and he scans it.
> Another snip and clip and he gets it out.
>Find out the chip's data is corrupted and that once we took the trak chip/biomonitor out the data was drekked.
>Glad I copied it beforehand.
>I gather the party to read the data and find out the big macguffin.
>She's HMHVV I Positive but she's a unique form of carrier.
>Her body creates antibodies to the virus and has made the HMHVV inside her non-infectious.
>Medic does a medicine check to see what this means and finds out that since she has antibodies to the first strain of HMHVV it is possible to use her to create vaccines and possibly advanced treatment of HMHVV.
>We realize that we stepped into it big time.
>GM tells me my newsfeed app goes off and I find out that there was a ghoul outbreak that killed several people. Video comes in and it seems that everyone including the J was killed by the ghouls.
>Girl wakes up and asks if it's over.
>We say yes and she goes over to the medic and hugs him.
> She smiles and says thank you to the medic while he's probably trying not to get blood on her.
>We remember that we never got the girls name and we ask for it.
>Saiko, that's what the people in the labcoats called me she said.
>So now we have the genetic cashcow in our hands but none of us are ready to meet with MCT or any other corp related junk.
> We end the session but GM admits that we went way off reservation and explained why
>J tried killing us because he saw the data was copied but didn't know if we did it or the ghouls did.
>Ghouls kidnapped her because they were a cult who believed she could cure them by a ritual bloodfeast and we got there just in time.
>GM also admitted that he needs to slightly change the plot so we have Saiko as an NPC to help out on secondary runs for a while.
>She acts like a secondary hacker/techno support for the team and she starts to grow on us.
>Part 4 on the way
>>
I see your GM has also played The Last of Us.
>>
When the Shapechange spell is used on a runner, it gives him the Natural Weapons critter power. Since these natural weapons are created through a spell, would they be considered to be magical for the purpose of bypassing a spirit's immunity to normal weapons?
>>
>>45011606
I wouldn't say so.
Magic is used to shape your form into those weapons, the weapons themselves aren't magical.
Same way that crushing someone with an animated piece of rebar isn't a magical weapon.
>>
>>45011065
rip anon, killed by an MCT Zero Zone squad
>>
>>45011628
Okay, that makes sense.

I'm GMing a game right now with a player that built his character around shapechange and unarmed combat, and I think he assumes that he can bypass the spirits immunity with his natural weapons. He uses no combat spells or spirits, has mostly utility manipulation/illusion spells, and the party has no other magical support. Would there be any other effective way him to deal with a spirit opponent? I just don't want to tell him that he can't bypass spirit immunity without giving him an alternative.

Also, with an average shapechange dog roll he is rocking 7 Agi, with 6+2 unarmed, and 8 Str (Str+1 for damage), so would he be able to reliably brute force his way through a typical spirit's defenses?
>>
>>45012033
If it's really weak maybe. The best nonmagical way to deal with spirits is grenades and APDS.
>>
>>45012033
>so would he be able to reliably brute force his way through a typical spirit's defenses?

No. Imuunity to non-magical attacks will fuck him over rather quickly since he lacks AP.

As this anon said >>45012103, grenades (for the huge base damage), APDS (or in a pinch, Stick'n'Shock or a Taser) or magic are the best ways to deal with a malevolent spirit.
>>
File: Annoyed Girl At Computer.png (99KB, 354x354px) Image search: [Google]
Annoyed Girl At Computer.png
99KB, 354x354px
>>45011065

Ten bucks says she dies in some contrived way to encourage feels.
>>
>>45011065
HMHVV I is non-infectious. You can only turn someone with it by draining them to 0 essence. Anyone else is just a carrier.
>>
>>45012380
Alright thanks. I might suggest grabbing a combat spell or two seeing as they bypass the immunity to normal weapons, and he can use them while shapechanged.

What would be the first and second best combat spells seeing as he has a 12 dice pool? I was thinking stunbolt for no dodge roll, and ball lightning for area effect and initiative penalty.
>>
One of my players wants to make an amnesia character this time around, and I was thinking of making them an aspected magician with some summoning powers. How would traditions work for an amnesiac though? I mean, magic is powered by belief in whatever. Would they just have ranks in summoning lying dormant until they pick a tradition, or would it be more of a rediscovery of their original?
>>
File: ghj.png (653KB, 1524x720px) Image search: [Google]
ghj.png
653KB, 1524x720px
Gm's on roll20 let me see your current main page
>>
>>45013040
Well they aren't a blank slate as far as knowledge goes. They can talk, and probably know to exchange nuyen for services. They probably just know the tradition like you or I know anything intellectually, but lack context for how they know since their past is a mystery
>>
>>45013066
>Your suiting up
>>
>>45013066
>lets just kill everyone
>leave the place to the koalas
I like this guy.
>>
>>45013135
>my players can type
>I can type
>>
>>45013040
>>45013112
You have the option of partial amnesia, where the player rolls up a sheet and can be lazy with their background, or full amnesia, where the player essentially tells the gm to work out everything.
>>
>>45013066
So what's past the Romulan Neutral Zone? Actual Romulans?
>>
>>45013244
It would be very interesting to play a full anmesiac character where the GM doesn't actually let you know anything past your attributes
>>
>>45013261
One of the players typed it up I think its from star trek it was put there after one of the players got killed by drop bears not sure
>>
File: what.jpg (84KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
84KB, 500x500px
>>45013325
>it was put there after one of the players got killed by drop bears not sure
>>
>>45013376
They made a HALO jump into jungle and ended up running into 25 of them (I rolled a 1d25 and got 25)
running tests was made and the medic was un able to soak 14p from two of them biting her (both of the bears got 5 hits and she didn't get any hits on soaks at all)
>>
>>45013275
>>45013244
They're going full amnesia, so I'm putting together the sheet right now. Our group has done amnesia characters before to great effect, but not in Shadowrun yet.
>>
>>45013275
That's what I've actually did with one of my players.
He told me what kind of Character he wanted, what skill groups to prioritize and some of the cyberware and Street Gear.
The actual selection was done by me, so he only knew his street gear. I plan on revealing his skills, contacts, some Cyberware and Background partially over time or all at once should he pay off the quality
>>
>>45013632
At that point I would have him not know how he actually casts his magic, his instincts just sorta take over for him
>>
Anyone wanna hear how the first session of my game went?
It involves exploding helicopters.
>>
>>45013708
Do tell
>>
>>45013763
Sure thing
So the basic jist of the campaign is that the players are participating in Horizon's biggest trideo gameshow ever, entitled "ShadowRun For Your Life!™" Imagine a cross between The Amazing Race and The Running Man, if you don't know what The Running Man is imagine The Amazing Race but with bounty hunters trying to kill the contestants.
The players need to work as a team to get to different locations around north America while being pursued by bounty hunters. They must check in at designated pit stops and complete challenges before they can move on, if they make it to the end of the race they get 5 million nuyen.
This session was mostly to introduce all the characters and also get the new guy familiar with how turns, initiative passes, and movement works
The PCs are:
Dirty Man, an Ex-CIA agent who disfigured himself after he fucked up big time, is feigning a fatal illness as the source of his disfigurement and also his stated reason for participating in the race, supposedly there is an experimental treatment in mainland china, in reality he wants enough cash for a new life of luxury far from the CIA, street samurai with a specialty for long range shooting
Mountain Man, a 41 year old troll who has been living innawoods for the past 25 years due to a crisis of faith during goblinization, realized he doesn't have much longer to live and is unfamiliar with the world (a bit), figured running in the race would be a good last hurrah, resident big guy and muscle
>>
>>45013852
Saia Tam, a former smuggler on the Azzie/CAS border, as a result of his boss started catching wind of him skimming off the top and a deal going bad resulting in the death of a few of his friends, he wants the money to get out of the business and leave the CAS for greener pasture, mage and car enthusiast
Spitfire, a german anarchist who was fed rose-tinted glasses tales of the flux state by his father, was involved in anarchist hooliganism and some low-level anti-corp assassinations and sabotage, due to [reasons] one of his team members left him to die and informed his former comrades he had gotten himself killed, he's running pretty much as a "fuck you" to that guy, and also to get 5 million big ones to finance his own anti-corporate agenda (the irony was lost on the player), suave infiltrator
Zed, grew up in Boston with deadbeat druggie parents, talent fit well for running, ran for a few years and then he had a kid, money ran out and he started getting back in the business but he fucked up a job for the ancients who have now kidnapped his son and are demanding a ransom, being hysterical he agreed to join ont he spot when he needed money bad, ransom is much less than 5 million nuyen. Heavy weapons guy.
>>
>>45013887
The first little bit was just introducing how all the characters got their golden ticket (Spitfire opened a bag of Azzie Cheeto-dust-fingersless cheetos to find a coupon for another bag inside, upon redeeming he was the 10 millionth customer and won the spot, Dirty Man found the ticket on the ground, etc.)
The party met for the first time at an interview with a very flamboyant elf in horizons Toronto headquarters, which is where the race would start
The elf is unsure if Mountain Man is making shit up, but then asks him about Dunkelzahn and is convinced by the fact that he has no idea that the Big D is now hundreds of little Ds after a car bomb
All the reasons for joining the race are accepted, but Zeds is tweaked so that his son is lost in the amazonian jungle and he needs to finance an expidition to go find him (since paying ransoms isn't really heroic) and Saia is made out to be a good samaratain who wants to help his town rebuild after being ravaged in the Aztlan-Texas war and never recovering
The group exchange some banter and sign multiple legally binding documents before having read them, and go to bed for the night to prepare for the big premiere, which would take place at [LOCAL FOOTBALL STADIUM].
>>
>>45013905
The party are introduced to a crowd of tens of thousands at the stadium one by one (Mountain Man does a roar and pounds his chest to pump up the crowd, Dirty Man coughs loudly), and are presented with an obstacle course to "show the people what you can do" the course is pretty simple, and consists of a 100 meter dash, a 5 meter wall to climb, a 5 meter wide mud trench to get over, and a firing range so they can "do some serious damage"
Spitfire ends up winning initiative and drops a smoke grenade to act all ninja-like before bolting off the stage, but Dirty Man (who has been acting as if he is going to die any minute) actually has 8 agility and rockets past him at 10m/s
Saia falls behind because his run speed is 12m per turn, and he notices his track actually speeds up below him like those airport walking conveyors so he doesn't fall too far behind
Spitfire and Zed decide not to climb the wall when the get to it, as it seems mountain man has no intention of stopping (Dirty Man was already at the top at this point), and MM crashes right through the wall leaving a perfectly troll-shaped hole in it
Spitfire decides to be stylish too, and uses his grapple gun to latch onto a nearby drone and swing himself across the mud, before landing right at his firing range post.
Dirty Man easily jumps across, clearing the mud by a good ten meters, while everyone else wades through it
>>
>>45013921
Its at this point that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlQ6KqTlyfk begins to be heard in the distance, and a helicopter that looks like a mix between a Chinook and a Huey flies into the stadium with the Russian flag on the side.
It quickly touches down behind the wall and pops smoke in standard X-COM fashion as the strike team disembarks from the helicopter
Mountain man actually decides to hang back and wait for the mercs near the hole he made in the wall, and actually succeeds in his stealth check to ambush the first to come through.
Spitfire seems to not actually care that there are actual combatants about to engage him, and fires a few called shots at the dummies in the firing range for style points. Zed fires a frag rocket at the range, destroying any and all other targets, while Dirty Man sets up a firing position, taking cover behind his range bench (Saia does a similar schtick)
The ruskie point man moves through the hole, and Mountain Man pulps his head pretty much instantly with his fist.
A few guys try to shoot through the wood, but all of them miss/do no damage.
>>
>>45013941
Two others move through the hole, and one fires at Mountain Man, who soaks the damage 100%, and one fires at Dirty Man, who keeps his head down
Next turn Dirty Man removes commies with his Ares Desert Strike, and MM fails to punch the guy who shot him, a few more turns pass with the russian squad leader failing his leadership tests badly and making bad decisions
Eventually the ruskies begin laying down fire to cover a retreat back to their helicopter, and when only the squad leader is out of the helo MM rolls one of his 100(yes, one hundred) high explosive grenades into the hole before making a run for it
The squad leader gets salsa'd, and the helicopter takes off with the surviving ruskies. The gunner slides open the side door to open up on the party with the door-mounted RPK, but Zed is having none of that and manages to fire a fucking frag rocket /into the interior/ of the helicopter.
Now, the helicopter survived with like, 4 condition monitor boxes, but everyone inside, including the pilot, got fucked HARD, so the helo crashed and burned on the 100 meter dash track while thousands of people lost their fucking minds
Which is where we ended the session
All in all it was a fun time and I can't wait to run the next one.
>>
>>45004131
Well, Shadowrun never has been able to answer the question as to why NAN aren't crubstomped by America almost immediately.

Their only defense was magic and by 2050 they had no edge, and possibly worse, magic then America.

Also, NAN should be effectively empty. There's nothing to stop everyone from just ignoring the indefensible NAN boarders and settling/mining/ranching on their land just like they did last time American aborigines claimed to own ten square kilometers per person.
>>
>>45014013
The shakey, hollow arguement is that NAN realized this and pulled an isreal, giving any native citizenship, but with super low requirements (like 1/256th gets you in)
the real answer is that Shadowrun wanted a Balkanized America, so it has one
>>
>>45014064
>Give everyone citizenship
>Instantly lose a vote to not rejoin America

I guess it keeps Mary Sue Land from having to have committed genocide or forced 95% of the population out of their homes.
>>
>>45014013
>>45014064
>>45014282
Shadowrun has more native americans than real life. DWI.
>>
I'm having no luck in the gamefinder threads, is there any group here who could use another player ;-;
>>
>>45014757

I'm loath to suggest it, but there's two active communities for pickup games on reddit.

I've heard different criticisms of both groups (shadownet and runnerhub), but it's certainly still there.
>>
>>45015057
I threw up in my mouth a little, but I'll give it a try. I'm pinning this on you if I become a brony men's rights activist though.
>>
File: moot.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
moot.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>>45015140

Godspeed. May the spirit of moot be with you.
>>
>>45015140
The little experience i have of reddit even writing it tingles my fingers the wrong way the brony MRA people tend to stick to areas relevant to their personal interest those being of bestiality and social self mutilation and can be easily avoided.
>>
>>45015057
I think it's three, now.
>>
What is the damage value of a cigarette? I'm trying to make a pink mohawk character who fights by giving her enemies cigarette burns. Shes an adept so I chose elemental weapon in order to put the fire onto the cigarette to justify any damage it would do.
>>
>>45015466
DV:0, AP:+∞
>>
>>45015466
Fucking nothing. Punching somebody would do more damage than burning them with a cigarette.

Might be able to distract a caster and make 'em drop any sustained spells, but that's about it. Next time, don't be a dipshit with a dumb gimmick.
>>
>>45015466

If you take Missile Mastery, you can throw them and they'll have your STR as their DV.

Otherwise, it'd be between you and your GM. Look into Improvised Weapons in Run & Gun. It'd probably deal STR -1 as a melee weapon, if it were up to me.
>>
File: thousandyardstare.gif (486KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
thousandyardstare.gif
486KB, 400x225px
>>45015452

Somehow I'm not surprised.
>>
>>45015466
Well, either cigarette damage: 1G, AP: 0 or just houserule that it's still magic fire, so damage = elemental strike/weapon.
>>
>>45015466
Why would you pick a weapon focus that's not only fragile, but burns itself?
>>
Did I miss something or is there no reason for .25 per level powers to be on the list for Ways in Street Grimoire?

Why dose a 20 point (!?) merit have such confusing rules? Optimally it could give you .25 extra PP per point of magic, but doing so would require fucking around a lot with power selection and optimization.

Is there something that makes them good that I'm missing or is this just another example of CGL being really bad at their jobs?
>>
>>45015466
Damage would be like 1p with AP - unless you have missile mastery and throw them, I guess.

Honestly if you want to incorporate cigarettes into combat because whatever, take Adept Spell (Shape Fire) and use the cigarette as an excuse to keep a light around. You could use a fancy cigarette case as a Qi focus and everything.
>>
>>45016040
They can be good in the long run.
With Magic 6, and discounting 3 PP1 Powers, you get basically 1,5 innitiations for 20 Karma.
They are alright if you innitiated already two times while picking PP or choose metamagics instead.
Provided you can get them ingame without having to pay double the cost (check with your GM), i wouldn't pay for them at chargen.
>>
The thing about communities like runnerhub and shit is that all (if not, nearly every) games are just one-shots. I've tried runnerhub myself, played like 5 games, and then dropped it because of drama.

You have to wait a little while for your character to be accepted, then you just see a list of one-shot missions that you can "apply" for, and you don't get to chose at all who you are going to play with. After the GM chooses the players and you all get together at the scheduled time, it pretty much runs like this.

>u get a call from ur fixer about a job and your gm asks when and how you want to get there.
>everyone: "i'll be there an hour early to scope the place"
>u all meet up at the mr jay and he describes job, gives you like 5 ingame days to do it
>everyone assists face in rolling negotiation
>everyone goes home and talks about plan
>next day, do job
>hours past
>barely any RP, just rolls
>job done
>get pay
>alright see yal

That's pretty much it. There's no reason for me to invest in a mix and match community because its not the same as finding your own dedicated group and getting to know eachother well and having fun. Playing on runnerhub is more like grinding for your character st@t$. No one cares about the "experience", they just want to do the job and get their karma and stuff for whatever reason. I could even tell you guys about the last game I had at runnerhub and how one of the dudes had a shitfit because we failed the job.

tl;dr try to avoid communities like runnerhub, join a campaign with /srg/unners or roll20.
>>
>>45016548
Except it's 1.5 PP only if you can find 3 1 point per rank powers to buy that fall in your way's list, and most way list are padded with a bunch of .25 and .5 per level powers.
>>
>>45016040
It should just be a flat 0.25PP reduction on three powers. Unfortunately, they fucked that up.
>>
>>45018443
Why not make it even more simple and give free .25 PP per point of magic to spend on powers on your list?

That gives everyone the best possible optimization for a way without needing to fuss around and means that it means something when a Way has a .25 power on the list, rather then those being utterly pointless.
>>
>>45018714
That'd work, too.
>>
File: 1395805048607.jpg (126KB, 600x558px) Image search: [Google]
1395805048607.jpg
126KB, 600x558px
>>
I've got a decent bit of nuyen as a mage and I don't really know what to spend it on. I'm saving up karma at the moment so I don't wanna buy a focus or a spell.
>>
>>45021202
Reagents.
>>
>>44989778
That's what Food Fight simulates.
>>
>>45021202
Reagents, armor (everyone can use good armor), a vehicle so you can get around without relying on the rigger if your team even has one. Another decent fake SIN. Maybe a top line commlink just to be more secure in your data and communications.
>>
>>45021202
Aqua Regia
Enchanting Gloves
Fetishes
Hand of Glory
A metric fucton of FAB
Reagents
>>
Ok so, I WANT to run a Shadowrun 5e game, I love the setting and fluff and everything but some of the mechanics, but the one linchpin guy in my group, the guy who gets others to try new systems, and is normally the DM, HATES it. He doesn't mind the Harebrained video games, but he hates the initiative system. Admittedly it's a bit of a cluster-fuck. He hates how much downtime between character turns. What I mean by this is my Mage had a low initiative, as did his character, while we had a Physical Adept and Street Sam who had huge ones, so half of each combat we were just sitting there twiddling our thumbs.
Is there a way to fix it with house rules somehow? And before you say "Play with other people!" I'm really new to the area and he's been here almost a year now, so he's my contact. And I kinda hate the initiative for the same reason.
>>
>>45021782
Honestly, no.

Initiative works exactly as it is supposed to: people with more initiative passes are better. There are a lot of ways to get more initiative, because everyone needs them, and the cost of them is intended to be a balancing tool.

Mages really have it the easiest, because it takes just one spell to get the initiative everyone else has to pay a lot for.

If nothing else, edge will give you an extra 4 initiative dice for a combat turn, which is usually all you need.
>>
>>45021782
You go through everyone on the list, then reduce it by ten. Everyone with a positive initiative can then go again. The way you're talking about it, it sounds like you're doing the guy with 35 twice before the guy with 15. Otherwise? Just make it clear that the PCs should have very high initiative, so that you don't have to deal with it. The spell Improved Reflexes is a personal favorite.

As for house rules, you go with what works. If that means you still have a guy who has like thirty more initiative than the slowest guy, then you have some PCs very dedicated to going fast.
>>
>>45021985
I understand HOW the initiative works, I was just hoping for a fix that leaves less dead air.
>>45021942
Damn. I'm never going to get him or his new group to play then.
>>
File: 1453590943744.jpg (402KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1453590943744.jpg
402KB, 1280x1280px
>>44966873
>>44966932
>>44969497
>>44969825
>>44969888
>>44970403
>>44972606
Since discounting cyber seems to be a thing a lot of people do, can we please get an unofficial option in chummer to at least apply a flat % discount to prices of cyberware (and a separate option for bioware)? You can currently edit the cyberware .xml to apply a price reductions manually, but that either takes forever (editing each bit of ware) or equally applies to bioware (editing the grade multipliers).
>>
>>45022188
Any gear prices would be better, but it needs to be clear that the item has been discounted.
>>
>>45008416
>>45009158
>>45004978

I thought Ghostwalker was the schism?

Anyways, Dunklezahn makes sense for the character. Grew up in imperial japan and their motto of human supremacy. Then she got SURGED and fled to Seattle which was the only place she could think of. She found some other mutants/metahumans who became enamored with Big D's message of equality, charity, and peace.
>>
>>45021250
>>45021648
>>45021651
My character is pretty shit at arcana so I doubt the reagents would be too useful. I'm maxxed on armor but something like insulation might not be a bad idea. Vehicle is probably too expensive and I have no points in driving anyways. Another SIN...yeah ok I've been pushing my luck with the one I have. Commlink maybe. I'm not familiar with enchanting gloves, hand of glory, or aqua regia (at least as it pertains to shadowrun). FAB is worth looking into.

Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>45022801
... exactly how do you think you use reagents?
>>
>>45022833
Well from what I read you refine them over a month long process to make them into things like fetishes, lodge materials, foci, etc...
I take it from your question however that I have misread or otherwise missed something fairly important.
>>
>>45017702
What is /srg/unners?
>>
>>45023194
I assume he means people from here.
>>
>>45022899
>Spellcasting: In a pinch, you can spend reagents to set the limit for Spellcasting. Rather than using the spell’s Force as the limit, use the number of drams of reagents spent.
>Summoning: You can spend reagents to set the limit for Summoning. Rather than the spirit’s Force, the limit becomes the number of drams of reagents spent.
>>
>>45023325
Is that a 5th edition thing? I don't see it anywhere in the 4th edition books,
>>
>>45023462
Limits are a 5th ed thing but I think force also is a "limit" in 4e too so it would be easy to port over.
>>
What are some runs horizon could send runners on that seem like gameshow challenges but actually support horizon interests?
There's the obvious "get the black box" that contains (thing of interest to horizon), but that's pretty boring.
>>
Can someone explain pink mohawk?

I don't understand this terminology

Also any suggested youtube videos of plays? I've listened to podcasts, but I'd like to see the dice rolls and math involved
>>
>>45023547
>Pink mohawk
A more crazy and rule of cool oriented way to play, characters are generally crazy and make stuff up on the fly. Runs tend to be very loud. The opposite of black trenchcoat
>Back trenchcoat
You better be picking up cases and scrubbing the astral chummer. A much more dark and serious tone, everything is planned out to the letter, any run where you fire a gun is already a failure.

Most games fall in the middle between the two extremes.

>see the math involved
SRs rolling system is simple as fuck.
When you make a test, you roll (Relavent attribute)+(Relavent skill)d6.
Any d6s that come up as a 5 or a 6 are a "hit", most tests require you to reach a specific number of hits to succeed, some rolls are contested where you need more hits than the other guy. The more hits you get over the target number/other guys hits, the better you do.
There are also limits, which are a hard cap on your hits, the most common are physical, social, and mental limit, which are derived from your attributes

Ex. Jane Joyride wants to do a long jump, for this she needs to roll Agility+Gymnastics. Jane has 5 agility and 4 gymnastics, so she rolls 9 dice.
Jane is lucky, and gets 6 hits, however, her physical limit is 4, so the extra two hits are discarded and it's treated as if Jane only got 4 hits.
>>
>>45023547
Pink mohawk is a play style, opposed to black sunglasses.

In pink mohawk there's over the top action and crazy action movie stuff. You don't have to worry as much about hiding from cameras and never shooting a gun or being shot at because that means you FAILED AND ARE BAD AND PLAYING SHAODWRUN WRONG.

Previous editions were relatively evenly split between this and black trenchcoat, where 90% of the game is Fake SIN and tag erasers.

In 5th edition, Pink Mohawk is constantly discouraged and considered the wrong way to play. If your character could be described as 'cyber' or 'punk' then 5th edition says you are doing it wrong.
>>
>>45023658
>>45023547
Also black trenchcoat is called mirror shades by some people, but they aren't different things unless someone has a really crazy mental schema which has three axes to it.
>>
>>45023547
Basically there's two trains of thought on shadowrun playing that do mix but yeah. Black Trench-coat and Pink Mohawk. Black Trench-coat is more focused on being realistic and down to earth. Pink Mohawk is more over the top. So like Leon: The Professional vs Shoot 'Em Up. To compare: both a Pink and a Black team are tasked with robbing a bank. Black Trench-coat would go in quietly, disable cameras, control the hostages, get the manager's "cooperation" in opening the vault, get the money, and fuck off after destroying every piece of evidence. Pinks on the other hand might drive a fragging tank through a wall, use the turret on it to blow open the vault door, load the money up, and then in the confusion escape.
Tl;dr it's just how off the chain you want to run it.
>>
>>45023531
Speed Dating
>>
>>45023661
>In 5th edition, Pink Mohawk is constantly discouraged and considered the wrong way to play
I never really encountered that, could you elaborate?
If you mean the cost of cyber I know what you mean, but it seems you've got other reasons
>>
>>45023699
I like the idea, but it needs some more pizzaz.
Speed dating, but with explosives somehow?
>>
>>45023658
Limits are gay. They work when it comes to spoopy mindpowers like Magic and Resonance, but not much else.
>>
File: 1402225057662.jpg (70KB, 605x450px) Image search: [Google]
1402225057662.jpg
70KB, 605x450px
>>45023719
The speed is drugs, anon.
>>
>>45023658
Ironically, black trenchoat isn't really supported very well by the game's logic.

The nations of the 6th world are failed states with no real police forces, instead private security guards answerable only to shareholders. They can't, and won't, perform an effective investigation. Hunting down shadowrunners, even ones that kill a bunch of security guards, won't recover paydata and prototypes and extracted employees they handed off within the hour so there's no money in doing so.
>>
>>45023704
Basically all the fiction in Run and Gun is "Running and gunning is for fags" and "nobody should ever need heavy armor"
>>
>>45023755
I agree partially, police contractors still need to do a decent job because there are other contractors out there, and if you let shadowrunners get away with paydata and do nothing you're sending a very bad message.
>>
>>45023766
Huh.
I never read the fluff stories, I thought you meant from a rules perspective.
Sounds mad gay though.
>>
>>45023773
Police investigations are really expensive and all police contracts have a local monopoly.

If you run on a AAA then the police aren't involved at all. They have no legal ability to investigate or enforce the law there. The cooperate security certainly isn't going to waste money chasing things that are long gone or avenging dead cooperate security.
>>
>>45023823
>and all police contracts have a local monopoly.
Seattle switched hands between LS and KE between 4th and 5th, didn't it?

>The cooperate security certainly isn't going to waste money chasing things that are long gone or avenging dead cooperate security.
If they want to not be fucked with 7 days a week they need to show people can't just walk all over them. Also, corp security head office may not care about vengance, but individual security guards would be pretty fucking pissed if Barry the guy with a little girl who sucks at poker got ventilated by street scum.
>>
>>45023870
>Seattle switched hands between LS and KE between 4th and 5th, didn't it?

Yeah. LS fucked up the tempo crisis then there was the bungled Ork Underground crackdown that Brackhaven tried to do. It was a bad few years for the corp in Seattle.
>>
>>45023766
Ehh ... no.

Taking comments from cat burglars out of context isn't smart.
>>
>>45023886
Please note: LS fucking up the Tempo situation is just the official line. It was Brackhaven covering ass.

The real ones who fucked Seattle up the ass was the PCs and the Komun'go. You were the villains all along!
>>
I find it a bit ridiculous to think that police corps in the 6th world just don't investigate crimes beyond "he was here"
I could expect that maybe from small time contractors like wildcat but LS and KE are huge. If the biggest security firms neglected forensics somone else would do it.
>>
>>45023870
>Seattle switched hands
After a gigantic fuckup, and then from one local monopoly to another. Nobody is allowed to set up a competing police department in Seattle.

>Don't want to be fucked with..

They are hard, angery people with guns that keep the SINless in line, remind Orks that they are the nigger of the world and patrol the mid security zones.

But the detective part is nearly dead. It's a huge profit loss and there's zero accountability to do it right. If they really need to bust someone they can always drive out and round up some SINless.

>Individual corporate security cares

Yeah, if they are willing to try to hunt down shadowrunners on their own time, with no company money or resources or even overtime pay they might get revenge on someone that was just doing their job and was hired by their own boss, to make someone else in the company look stupid.

Mostly, the corpsec just have to swallow whatever they think and take that anger out on the next SINless to step out of line.
>>
>>45023938

They can. They've got good labs, detectives and equipment.

They mostly use it when the crime happens to someone important. Otherwise, the case goes to someone and they get 4-16 hours to close the case before it goes in a cold file.
>>
>>45023983
>nobody is allowed to set up a competeing police department
Of course not.
That doesn't mean if you do a bad job (IE: Ignoring investigating crimes against SINners) you won't lose your comtract come renewal time.
>They are hard, angery people with guns that keep the SINless in line,
I'm talking about higher level security.
A head of security isn't going to say "Welp they stole our shit might as well throw in the towel" to his employer because
A) He will lose his job
B) Other shadowrunners will see this and say "Hey lets accept more jobs against that corp because they are limp-dicks"

>get revenge on people just doing their job
When people murder your friends for money I seriously doubt anyone would say "huh well they had their reasons"
Nobody says they need to go on a on a manhunt, but maybe a few of the detail chip in and hire a PI to track these guys down, maybe they hand it off to their boss or go to rough the guy up on his way home, etc
>>
Also, the thing about pink mohawk crimes is that they are big, and obvious, and easy as fuck to solve.
I can see harder cases being overlooked in some cases but huge destructive acts that end in police chases are getting media coverage and that puts pressure on the cops, who already have a fuckton of leads due to the nature of Pink Mohawk being extremely unsubtle
>>
>>45023727
Which, strangely, might be the point: Nerf mages so that they aren't the all-consuming gods that they were in 4e.
>>
>>45024239
Wasn't force a defacto limit in 4e anyway?
>>
>>45024044
>cold file
You mean the nearest criminal SINner gets blamed.
>>
/srg/, I want to send my players on a run in Old Montreal, specifically the super gothic church in the area
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre-Dame_Basilica_(Montreal)
I'm unsure if I should have old montreal be a tourist trap, slums, or rebuilt for corporate offices, I'm also unsure what I should have the players do, steal a valuable magical/holy artifact on loan/in the churches posession?
>>
>>45024271
Sure, but it was set super high to begin with (max. Force 6 at character creation) and it did nothing to alleviate the problems that mages were simply better at everything for which they had spells.
Or, you know, they just summoned a Force 6 Spirit and facerolled everything.
>>
>>45022188
Why don't you just override the grade discount?
>>
File: 1452955544164.jpg (15KB, 576x463px) Image search: [Google]
1452955544164.jpg
15KB, 576x463px
Whats the best class for a white male.character? Why occupation and role seems to cry out "white guy" more than any other?
>>
>>45025371
Hacker?
Mechanicaly, Hackers benefit from being human as they can put Magic E and Metatype D in priorities and still have 5 Edge, leaving them with a wide array of options for Skills, Attributes and Ressources

Also, it is well known that everyone on the Internet is a semi-racist beta white American teenage boy
>>
>>45024111
>I'm talking about higher level security.
>A head of security isn't going to say "Welp they stole our shit might as well throw in the towel" to his employer because

He's going to say "shadowrunners hit us and got away clean. Everything they stole is gone now. if we hunt them down we MIGHT get the cutout that hired and paid them, but maybe not. And doing all of this would cost half a million nuyen"

You are suggesting that they'd throw away money to save face and slam the barn door REALLY HARD after the horses are all gone.

If anything he'd lose his job because the shadowrunners hit them, stole shit, and got away. He's supposed to prevent that. The critical, short window where they haven't made delivery yet is the only time it makes sense to chase.

>Limp dicks

No corp, not even C ranked locals gives a fuck what shadowrunners think. It's like thinking you need to slap a flea hard to keep the others from considering you easy blood. Stupid, pointless, and you don't even kill the flea.
>>
>>45025371
>>45025371
A wageslave.
Literally any archetype can be a white human male. Humans are kings of 5e.
>>
>>45023792
He's not exactly right. Some shadowrunners, as in the ones that respond in jackpoint, think black trench coat all the way. But most of the jackpointers suck anyways so play how you want.
>>
>>45025360

He only wants to discount cyberware, not bioware.
>>
>>45025742

Yep. The story at the end of Run & Gun features a fucking GRENADE ADEPT and a troll with an assault cannon, and there's nothing to suggest they're not competent and successful, despite being extremely loud and flashy.
>>
File: 1420190440786.jpg (520KB, 1240x1754px) Image search: [Google]
1420190440786.jpg
520KB, 1240x1754px
>>45025771
Custom Grade Standard (Cyberware Discount) etc. etc.
I mean sure, mechanically it's not a problem for me to implement on my end, just wouldn't be done for a couple of days, I'm busy redoing Infected at the moment.
>>
Is there any way to make an encounter with a sniper interesting for the players?
>>
>>45027392
The sniper directly, not really. The consequences of a sniper encounter, that can drive the story forward.
>>
>>45003950
Here's what I don't get about all the Sioux/Indian reservations turned nations. Where the fuck did they get all the injuns from? Those places are like 98% white/hispanic.
>>
>>45027633
A few explainations:
>There are much more native people in SR
>The nations pretty much gave most people living there citizenship as well as anybody with even questionable native heritage a spot
The real reason is the designers wanted cool indian nations so they put in cool indian nations
>>
>>45027633
Because FASA had a boner for native americans during that time period, which is why the stupid clanners in battletech (introduced around the same time) are a NA/Mongol hybrid thing. In pursuit of their personal tastes, they said "fuck you" to logic and reason and made the NANs a thing.
>>
>>45027698
>>45027669
Pretty much these
If you are looking at Shadowrun for a geopolitical setup that makes even the slightest sense, I apologize.
You just gotta roll with it and curb your autism, like I did.
>>
>>45027633
>>45027669
>>45027698
>>45027775

I like to pretend the great ghost dance actually was a mass control thoughts spell that brainwashed the whole continent into wanting to split up because even that is less fucking retarded.
>>
sorry if it's a super noob question, but what edition is the best/most popular? I'm trying to get in from D&D 5E.
>>
>>45028323
5e is most popular
There is debate on which edition is better
>>
>>45028724
which would be best coming from d&d 5e in your opinion?
>>
>>45027775
roll cha+wil to see if you curb your autism
>>
>>45028746
I've only played SR5, but the biggest difference from DnD is the rolling mechanic
In SR, you only use d6s in a dice pool.
When you make a test, you roll (Relevant attribute)+(Relevant skill)d6.
Any d6s that come up as a 5 or a 6 are a "hit", most tests require you to reach a specific number of hits to succeed, some rolls are contested where you need more hits than the other guy. The more hits you get over the target number/other guys hits, the better you do.
There are also limits, which are a hard cap on your hits, the most common are physical, social, and mental limit, which are derived from your attributes

Ex. Jane Joyride wants to do a long jump, for this she needs to roll Agility+Gymnastics. Jane has 5 agility and 4 gymnastics, so she rolls 9 dice.
The dice Jane rolls come up like this: 4, 3, 5, 2, 6, 6, 5, 6, 2. Since a hit is any result that is a 5 or a 6, Jane has five hits (three 6s and two 5s) however, her physical limit is 4, so the extra hit is discarded and it's treated as if Jane only got 4 hits.
>>
Rolled 6, 4, 2, 2, 5, 4 = 23 (6d6)

>>45028754
Here I go!
>>
>>45028870
Ok, no-one notices and you manage not to sperg out about it on this occasion
>>
>>45028852
>>45028724
so is there an edition that uses d20 system? would that be easier to transition to from D&D?
>>
For some reason thinking of a campaign plot and stuff is hard for me, like i can't even get started.
Any tips/advises of how to like make one.
I feel like there is some piece that is missing for me to get it right.
>>
>>45028852
also, thank you for the explanation, it was helpful.
>>
>>45028946
Nope. It's d6s all the way down
>>
>>45028946
No, shadowrun only uses d6 dicepools.
I personally far prefer dicepools after using them to a single d20 or d%
It models character progression a lot better
For example, if I put one skill rank in a d20 system, I get a +1 modifier, that only increases my chances of passing a check by 5%, but in shadowrun, you get an extra d6, which gives you another 33% chance of getting a hit.
It places skill ranks in front of randomness of the dice, instead of the other way around like single die systems tend to do.
>>
>>45028961
Take inspiration from fiction, everyday life events, etc
Look at some news headlines, watch some movies, read a few books.
Don't plagiarize their plots or anything, just lift themes/framing devices and give them your own little "spin"
>>
Here's an idea for a silly short campaign based off the current election
>Donald Trump underwent leonization treatment to become young again, and while his hotels don't put him on the top of the world anymore, he still has some clout and a decent chunk of nuyen. And he's decided it's time to Make Ares Great Again, players are hired by Trump to help get him to be the CEO of Ares so he can build a wall on the NAN border, and make Lofwyr pay for it.
>>
>>45029201
>make Lofwyr pay for it
Bad Idea omae, BAD IDEA
NEVER, EVER make a deal with a dragon and
NEVER EVER try to outsmart Lofwyr
>>
>>45029265
If anyone, Trump would be the one to try.
>>
>>45029297
That may be true but the chance of him succeeding is still zero
This plan has a reasonable chance of success as long as you take anyone other than great dragon to pay for it
>>
>>45029332
We're gonna make a wall, and make Aztechnology pay for it!
>>
>>45022188
Just make an override_cyberware file that has custom nuyen modifiers. Its what I did. The Cyberware grades do not affect Bioware grades in any way/
Thread posts: 330
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.