[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would I play in the discworld setting using D&D 5th edition?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (259KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
259KB, 1680x1050px
How would I play in the discworld setting using D&D 5th edition?
>>
Everyone is a level 1 wizard and can never level up. All wizards can cast and prepare any level spells with any slots. If they cast a spell idk some chance they can never cast that spell again.
>>
>>44941963
If a character falls below 0 HP they can talk with death until they die fully or regain life.
>>
You construct a short campaign, with a strict, by-the-books story with some heavy railroading.

Then you recruit a set of players that you feel are most qualified to fuck your shit up.
>>
>>44941963
what book should I start with to get into Disc World?
>>
File: image.jpg (208KB, 800x860px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
208KB, 800x860px
>>44944335
The first one, but this pic helps
>>
>>44944386
thanks anon! that'll help a lot
>>
>>44944386
if the colour of magic wasnt so fucking unfunny I'd agree
>>
>>44944460
To be fare You can skip it and not miss much
>>
File: 1440296909652.jpg (148KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1440296909652.jpg
148KB, 1024x1024px
First off, I wouldn't play 5th edition, or D&D in general. I'd play GURPS because it's a far superior system.

Secondly... I would just play the setting from the novels? I dunno, I haven't read any of them. I wouldn't even play in Discworld but since I've heard it's a Halo rip off it's probably pretty good.
>>
>>44944615
>a halo rip off
What
>>
>>44944460

It's probably the weakest Discworld novel, but it's also the first one and kind of an important introduction to the Rincewind character...then again you could just say "Shaggy Rogers if he was a wizzard and didn't have a talking dog or eating disorder" and be done with it.
>>
>>44944789
so, could I just start with Guards! Guards! ?
>>
>>44944386
>The Last Hero

I have never wept over a book before or since. Not even when Dumbeldor died.
>>
>>44944813
Yes. Very much so.
>>
>>44944813
I would recommend it.
>>
>>44944615

>Discworld
>Halo ripoff

Wait, what?

>Ring World

Ahhh. That's why you're confused. And no, Halo ripped off Ring World, not the other way around.
>>
Self-awareness. That's all
>>
File: 12-03-15 RIP.png (765KB, 889x592px) Image search: [Google]
12-03-15 RIP.png
765KB, 889x592px
>>44944849
Have you read Shepard's Crown?
That one did me in.
>>
>>44941963
By playing the Discworld setting using 5th Edition. Use some damn imagination. That's the point of these games.
>>
>>44944715

But it is....

>>44944922

No I meant discworld. And yes they ripped off Halo, Halo came first. Yeah the game was released in 2000 but the Halo books are like from 1995.
>>
>>44944615

Firstly
>Halo rip off
I'm not sure if the stupidity of this assertion is exceeded by the impossibility of a book series that started being published in 1983 is a ripoff of a game from 2001 but it makes my head hurt either way.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Niven's RINGworld...which was written in 1970.
>>
>>44944813
I'd consider the Guards series to be the best of the Discworld series and Guards! Guards! to be the best book as a standalone.

Night Watch might be a better book but you can't go into it without knowing Samuel Vimes like the back of your hand.
>>
>>44944999

>Halo
>1995

Okay.

>Ringworld
>1970

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringworld

Global rules are 18+ anon. Go watch cartoons.
>>
>>44944946
I have bought it.

I can't bring myself to read it.

If I read it then it is all over. The story is finished. Discworld is done.

I can't do it.

It will be on that shelf for a long time.

The stories he never wrote will never be read
>>
>>44944999

...halo wasn't based on books, it had tie-in novels that were published the same year as the first game, 2001.
>>
>>44944999
The Colour of Magic was written in 83.
And was taking an idea from Strata (81), which spoofed ideas from Niven's Ringworld, written in 1970.

In short, go die in a fire.
>>
File: 1397683918348.jpg (4KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1397683918348.jpg
4KB, 200x200px
>>44944615
>>
>>44944813

Yes, absolutely, I'd recommend it even.

That or Pyramids and then Small Gods which aren't directly connected to any other books not even each other and not even set in the same century as the other Discworld books.
>>
>>44945001

No neither of those books are original work, they were created by the HALO developers. I cant remember the exact year but my friend was really pissed when he found out because he likes Halo a lot and was angry to find out they ripped it off.

>>44945054

I am 22 and in college, I don't know what your problem is.

Also Wikipedia is not a source. Those of us who finished high school, learned that.
>>
>>44945070
>...halo wasn't based on books, it had tie-in novels that were published the same year as the first game, 2001.

No the books came first, you are thinking of different books. A guy wrote a Halo novel in 1995, except the character was called Doom man or something weird like that. It wasn't Doom man it was something else. But it was the same concept and I've seen the halo devs admit that that was where they got the idea.

it definitely wasn't from Ringworld, Ringworld was a halo rip off.

>>44945102

Yeah I'm pretty sure he lied about the date. Either that or his book is nothing like Halo, which has been copyrighted since the early 90s, they just hadn't worked on it yet.
>>
>>44945399

Your first paragraph makes no sense whatsoever in the context. And "Wikipedia is not a source" is playing your hand way too strong.

We can tell what you are now. The only rage you'll get now is the indignation that someone would even pretend to be this stupid.
>>
>>44945399
>>44945433
I want to call this bait, but deep down I know some people are indeed this retarded.
>>
>>44945433
>he
who?
>>
Sam Vimes is the hero we need. WHERES MY CO? IT GOES MOO. IS THAT MY COW? IT GOES MILLENNIUM HAND AND SHRIMP. IT IS NOT MY COW. IT IS FOUL OLE RON.
>>
>>44945433
>Doom man

Jesus, kid, you're not even trying anymore. Step up your game.
>>
>>44945654
Best paladin
>>
>>44945068
Read it anon - it's a bit of an emotional battle, and probably would be even if it wasn't the last discworld book, but it's totally worth it
>>
>>44945433
>>44945399

You're trying to make us explain simple facts to you, in such a way that it causes confusion and self-doubt. And each time something is explained to you in a concrete manner, you'll counter with another assertion that's based on something that was disproved previously. Creating a cyclical self-reciprocating loop.

This ain't our first rodeo, sweetie. This is 4chan. It's nothing BUT rodeo.
>>
Seems to me that one idiot just derailed this whole thread by mixing up discworld and ringworld. Way. To. Go.

For real though, I'd do 5e with some magic houserules, and some important setting points in mind. Add in rules for the chaotic nature of magic by maybe making a universal magical surge table that includes transmutation into pudding, raining fish, and Dungeon Dimension encroachment. Then keep in mind that the magical field is really fluid and sensitive (magic items fuck up spells bigtime, stuff like that). And you should also keep in mind how the discworld's adventurers are percieved by people--basically that they're incredibly stupid and violent and everyone can't wait to see them go.
>>
>>44945739
Carrot has bullshit tier charisma. hears an example. Players are in Ankh Morpork and are attempting to kill a troll because its a troll. The watch shows up with Carrot at the head.
"Whats going on here?" He asks
"insert PC excuses for trying to murder a troll without a license or authorization from one of the guilds"
"Put that down" says Carrot. Carrot rolls a one, PC rolls a twenty.
Player character slowly lowers weapon looking ashamed.
>>
>>44945739
I'm not all that knowledgeable about Discworld, but wouldn't spell prep also take a lot longer than usual?
>>
>>44945711
I can't.

That Discworld story is slightly older tha I am.

It got me through all the bad times.

If I read that book the story is over. There are no more and never will be. The story is dead. I don't want it to die.

I can cope with the last story being unknown. I don't know if I can survive without discworld.
>>
>>44944813

I'd recommend it as well. Then move to some of the other starter novels. After that, if you've got a good taste for them, starting reading them in order of release, which is also roughly chronological order. That way, nothing gets spoiled out of turn, and you don't get burned out on any one character or plotline.

Except fucking Rincewind, of course.
>>
>>44945841
Yep. Wizards are useless. ALL HAIL THE LIBRARIAN.
>>
>>44945739

There's a few threads in this thread, there's an anon who's wondering which Discworld book to start with and an anon trying to work up the courage to read Shepherd's Crown, also there's OP's original question but nobody ever cares about that.
>>
>>44945866
I liked Rincewind.
>>
>>44945158
>and not even set in the same century as the other Discworld books.
Apparently there's a very tenuous connection (bearing in mind both books have people fouling up time) between Mort and Pyramids that puts them not too far from each other in the grand scheme of things (the connection is, iirc, an elephant).

Small Gods is definitely well out though
>>
>>44945841
from what I remember, the only explicit mention of spell prep is in Reaper Man when the wizards are talking about how to deal with the shopping mall, and I can't recall anything about how long it takes, only that you need a spell prepared to cast it on the fly.
>>
>>44945844

Stories never die anon, they're told over and over they're the only thing that last forever HAVE YOU LEARNED NOTHING?

I REMEMBER WHEN ALL THIS WILL BE AGAIN.
>>
>>44945928
>the connection is, iirc, an elephant

I never saw that before. Thank you.
>>
>>44944946
>as a filthy frenchie, didn't know there was a discworld book afer Raising Steam
>google Shepard's Crown
>tfw the book published right after the autor's death is also the first where a recurring main character dies
>>
>>44945928
The main character of Pyramids is being trained as an Assassin at the guild.
>>
>>44945968
I can't.

Maybe one day. Not today.
>>
>>44945844

The last story will always be unknown. Because he never got the chance to write it down.

The Great A'Tuin moves through space regardless. Just don't miss your last chance to check in and see how things are going.
>>
File: This bodes.jpg (36KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
This bodes.jpg
36KB, 600x600px
What does it MEAN?
>>
>>44946056
There is so much cozy up in here.

The Turtle Moves.
quietsobbing.webm
>>
File: We Salute You.jpg (58KB, 474x627px) Image search: [Google]
We Salute You.jpg
58KB, 474x627px
>>44945844
All things must come to an end, but the stories live on - hell, it's a Witch book, they always mentioned the stories.

I honestly don't think the series could have ended much better.
Hell, I'll tell you this much, the book's even got a funeral in it. It's a fantastic send off.

And the story lives on
>>
>>44941963
Anyone know where to get a complete hard cover set of all the books? As opposed to buying them all individually
>>
>>44946056
> The Great A'Tuin moves through space regardless

De chelonian mobile!
>>
>>44945980
>>44946173
>a recurring main character dies
>Witch book
FUCK
>>
>>44946151
What is that?
It could be something like >>44946184
Is looking for
>>
>>44945844

Remember Lord Vetinari, sitting on a crate in a back alley, watching a little goblin boy riding a handmade vehicle. He can tell it will revolutionize the world, like many of the other things he's seen in his lifetime. But he knows he's only going to see a little bit more of that world.

I hope that's what it feels like to be old.
>>
>>44946151
Fun fact Sir Terry actually didn't actually write the last few books.
>>
>>44946151
He will rise from his grave?
An official treasure hunt to find his sword is gonna start?
>>
>>44945988
Yeah, but it's an ancient guild, one of the few that pre-date Vetinari

The exam sequence in Pyramids is amazing though, it'd probably make it a contender for the best standalone if Small Gods wasn't there (also Lu-Tze appears in Small Gods, but he doesn't count for chronology)
>>
>>44946261
He was played by Charles Dance in the Going Postal live action whatever you call it. Perfect Casting.
>>
>>44946293
It has Dr Cruse in pyramids.

Dr Cruse tried to assassinate Vetinari in Men at Arms.
>>
>>44946214

Yeah, that was a real dick move. You could have just mentioned that it has a significant death in it.

>>44946273

His daughter was involved heavily in the writing, mostly transcribing, so it can be hard to say how much of them were written by him. But it cannot be said that he did not write them.
>>
>>44946273
He dictated, and gaps were filled by friends and assistants, but he was still there up to the end
>>
>>44946428
Yes it can. He created them he gave birth to them. He brought them into existence. But he did not shackle them to the page. (I'm being a bit pedantic) He did not die. He merely left this plane of existence, for it was not worthy of his greatness.
>>
>>44946339

Easily the best part of that movie. He was great to watch and perfectly played the character, unlike basically everyone else.

Only part they messed up was when he intimidated Gilt by getting in his face and standing taller than him. The real Vetinari would have done that from across the room while sitting down.
>>
>>44946401

Maybe it was a different Cruce, or maybe time-fuckery, the book could have started within a reasonable amount of time before Men At Arms and then 4th dimensional shenanigans.
>>
>>44944335
id say to read them all in release order, but im old fashioned that way.
>>
>>44946401
So it does, though not the head he is in Men at Arms.

>>44946540
I don't know, Dearheart seemed pretty well done from what I remember.

Still, I liked the Hogfather better, that one was really well done.

Shame Christopher Lee was only Death's voice in the Cosgrove Hall mini-series though
>>
>>44946428
>Yeah, that was a real dick move.
Sorry. I was kinda shocked myself.

To more or less answer OP's question (if he's still there): I don't know crap about DnD 5e, but I'm almost sure I wouldn't use DnD for a Discworld game. And, even if it is the official Discworld RPG's system, I wouldn't use GURPS either. Too clunky and simulationist for Discworld IMO. A simple d100 with some special rules (like "narrativum points", "1/1 000 000" and stuff like that) could do it. Or another medium-to-light system who doesn't aim at too much realism.
>>
>>44946612
Their is no Colour of magic movie.
>>
>>44946674
he didnt even mention that one.
>>
God DAMN THIS THREAD. I'm remembering all the things that made Discworld great. Like Twoflower explaining how reverberated sounds of underground spirits works.etc etc FUCK.
>>
>>44946547

I'd bet that the vast majority of people that have read the entire series started with a book other than the first. Just because it was so weak.

>>44946612

I can't say anything about her acting ability, because I was too distracted by them fucking up the writing at every opportunity.
>‘What is sticking in your foot is a Mitzy “Pretty Lucretia” four-inch heel, the most dangerous footwear in the world. Now, I know what you’re thinking: you’re thinking, “Could she press it all the way through to the floor?” And, you know, I’m not sure about that myself.
>'But I'm certainly going to try!

Jimmies: [] Rustled
>>
>>44946761
"So what you're saying is, you're betting me that the Drum won't burn down?"
>>
>>44947662
In sewer ants.
>>
>>44942047
This DESU
>>
>>44947662
It still gets me that it went from the Broken Drum to the Mended Drum
>>
>>44946674
Of course not
though Tim Curry was decent in it
>>
Shepherd's Crown was about the best ending I could have imagined for Discworld. Possibly the best ending I've seen since Cowboy Bebop.

It's just so complete. The book can be rough in spots, but the ending is final. No questions, no regrets.
>>
>>44941963
Probably by completely taking the piss when it comes to being serious, though taking things just serious enough that danger is real.
>>
>>44944386

Bit out of date

>>44944849

Same with me and The Shepard's Crown.
>>
>>44946401
You are forgetting that the history monks haphazardly put time back together once or twice.

That's how all chronology fuck ups are explained away.
>>
>>44941963
In 5e? You don't. 5e is a hyper specialized game, not SW, FATE or GURPS, or the many systems that tried to do that. D&D experimented with trying to do that, and it practically ruined the gaming section of borders for a decade.

Mind you 5e isn't bad, it's great for running the genre of "D&D as self-defined by the nostalgia memories of people who mostly remember starting with 3e, but tell people online they started with 2e." I's practically a fitted glove for that kind of game.

Disk World is also great. The two just don't mix. Basically, don't try to do anything inspired by a novel, TV series, movie, or anything protagonist or story driven. 5e is not about that; 5e is about streamlined rules and unexceptional adventurers trying to explore and survive a fantastical world.
>>
>>44941963

5e's not completely terrible for Discworld, but maybe give magic a chance of blowing up in your face, because Disworld books have always presented magic as a sword with at least two edges, and possibly a shocking number of invisible edges just waiting for a chance of being surprising in someone's general direction.
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.