[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5e General: Big Damn Heroes Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 22

File: 1451074654081.jpg (560KB, 1000x1129px) Image search: [Google]
1451074654081.jpg
560KB, 1000x1129px
>Core rulebooks, adventure modules, Unearthed Arcana
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>OGL and SRD for 5e
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

>Dungeon Masters Guild, buy and sell 5e shit using Wizard IPs
http://dmsguild.com

What's the most heroic shit you've seen pulled off in 5e so far?
>>
What are some good domain spells for a good-themed death domain?
>>
>>44927389
>What's the most heroic shit you've seen pulled off in 5e so far?
Not dying.
>>
>>44927438
heres whats on the cleric list thats necromancy that doesn't seem evil:
level 1
>inflict wounds (is this evil?)
level 2
>gentle repose
>blindness/deafness
level 3
>feign death (this sucks tho)
>speak with dead

thats it for level 5 and under, so you'll probably have to grab some other class spells
>>
any examples of a dex fighter floating around for 5e?
>>
>>44927438
How would a good-themed death domain differ from the life domain? Or the death domain, but not roleplayed like an edgy faggot?
>>
>>44927561
What do you mean examples? You just max dex instead of strength.
>>
>>44927561
Take a finesse weapon. Otherwise build a normal sword-and-board fighter. Lament your lack of GWM, but at least you have higher AC.
>>
>>44927633
1 point higher is only higher in the most technical term
>>
>>44927608
Any ranged Fighter.
>>
>>44927389
>What's the most heroic shit you've seen pulled off in 5e so far?
Peaceful cleric let a big bad thing get in his face ready to murder the party. Inflict Wounds. Drops it no problem. Saved the day because everyone else would have been easily crushed with how hurt we all were.
>>
>>44927561

Variant Human Fighter, take Crossbow Expert max your Dex, take a crossbow and shield, go Battle Master at 3rd level. At fourth level grab Sharpshooter.

There, your build is complete and now you will viciously rape anything from range while still having good AC and HP. Later invest in feats that give Advantage to Wisdom and MAYBE Dexterity saves.
>>
>>44927667
A decrease of perhaps 5% in incoming damage is not insignificant, though it is perhaps not worth the tradeoff.
>>
>>44927633
Two weapon fighting into Dual wield is fun for sick nasty damage (read: cool fight descriptions). Though dual wield is only really useful if you want +1 AC and your DM is serious about the drawing/stowing weapons rules. Else that level is better spent improving your scores or taking a different feat.
>>
>>44927782
The specific build involving a shield and hand crossbow has been shot down, because you still need a free hand to use weapons with the Ammunition quality.

Still works sans shield, though.
>>
>>44927633

Battle Master or Champion X+\Swashbuckler 3 would be decent, maybe even pick up Warlock Blade Pact with the Light patron so you can Green-Flame Blade your rapier for even more damage.
>>
>>44927873

Meh, so you get a flying shield or bother a Cleric for the buff. You shouldn't need to get close anyway unless its tight quarters in a dungeon.. and even then, a Druid, Paladin, etc probably wants to go in front of you anyway.
>>
>>44927900

I should have added that an Eldritch Knight works for it, if you don't mind trading damage for lots of self-buffs and having Shield on command.
>>
>>44927843
Forgot that Dual wield also allows you to use weapons without the light tag for two weapon fighting. That would be way better if there were more finesse weapons but there you go. Really only affects the rapier and whip.
>>
SAY NO TO SORCLOCKS.
SAY NO TO CHA MODS.
SAY NO TO CHEESE.

A VOTE AGAINST SORCLOCKS IS A VOTE FOR FREEDOM.
>>
>>44928011

Double rapier is a time honored tradition of weeaboos and special snowflakes!

But for real, its a good set up if you dip Warlock.
>>
>>44928028

Yes yes, please continue to be butthurt that the only good thing about Warlocks is dipping. Please continue to be mad about decent damage modifiers when the Paladin and etc. are doing insane burst.

Please continue to think damage is the best way to solve your problems when the Wizard and Druid are still lumbering around strong and proud.
>>
What effects are applicable on off-turn attacks like readied attacks and OAs? I know a few (but not all) of the Battle Master's maneuvers work, as do Sneak Attack and Stunning Strike.
>>
>>44928080
If it only specifies an attack and not "on your turn" and so on, it works. So for instance, sneak attack works, but cleric Divine Strikes pretty much don't across the board. Colossus Slayer works, but Horder Breaker cannot.
>>
>most heroic shit you've pulled off in 5e
Convincing a group of murderous psychopaths to focus their efforts on the surrounding wildlife.
>>
>>44928041
I'd consider it but going into Rogue is easier with a dex fighter
>>
>>44928135
What did you do AFTER you got the other PCs under control?
>>
>>44928226
In the DM, so mostly provided meaner wildlife
>>
>>44928216

Fighter/Rogue is solid if you only go 3 levels into Fighter, yeah, but no more.

Also consider Warlock if you want to add some boost to your damage. Otherwise, enjoy shaking people mundanely.
>>
>>44928226
Presumably took over the world because a focused group is just that terrifying
>>
>>44928306
Surely Fighter 5 for Extra Attack is a worthwhile choice.
>>
>>44928330

You only apply sneak attack once unless you get an out of turn attack. But yeah sort of.
>>
All right, I wasn't paying attention and posted this in the last thread right before it fell off.

I have a pile of DMsG cash from sales, but am too lazy to transfer it to my Paypal. Suggest things for me to buy, read, and review.
>>
>>44928330
fighter 1: archery fighting style, martial weapons, maybe medium armor
fighter 2: action surge
fighter 3: battlemaster maneuvers, or if you like throwing dice go champion
fighter 4: ASI is great
fighter 5: extra attack
fighter 6: ASI is awesome
fighter 7: if you went battlemaster, this ability is cool. if you went champion, meh
fighter 8: you know you want an ASI

its so hard to pick where to cut off multiclassing
>>
Anyone here tried putting something up on the guild? Anyone buy it?
>>
>>44927389
Pierced through a dragon with my Spear wielding monk leaving a gaping hole in its stomach ala Piccolo.
Said monk did that after having only 1 Hp left (this is wy i love le standupman death monks) and having Bears Strenght cast on him.

(we rolled stats and i got 4 15s, one 14 and one 11)
>>
>>44928422
>I have a pile of DMsG cash from sales, but am too lazy to transfer it to my Paypal. Suggest things for me to buy, read, and review.
>>44928422
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/171071/the-Lexitheurge--Return-of-the-Truenamer
>>
>>44928306
>Fighter/Rogue is solid if you only go 3 levels into Fighter, yeah, but no more.
I wanted to go more fighter than rogue. Think criminal bruiser. Bad idea to only take one or two levels in rogue? Currently sitting at 4 levels in Fighter and really looking forward to the later stuff but I wouldn't mind delaying the 6th fighter level to get Expertise, Thieves' Cant, and Sneak Attack.
>>
A guy in my group wants to play a Warlock in the Out of the Abyss adventure and he wants to make it into a follower of Lovecraft horror Azathoth thats all about destruction. I've made it clear that i banned evil alignment as they are still beginners to D&D and i want to talk him out of it because he thinks its a complex characters and i think it could be hard for him to cooperate with other characters. Any idea how to do so? One idea i had was to warn ahead that the followers of his deity usually meet with grisly deaths early
>>
>>44928536

That's a worthwhile investment, if you go full archetype I'd .. honestly consider Arcane Trickster. Assassin seems like an obvious choice, especially for a Battle Master or Champion build (half-orc rules for this), but personally I don't like trying to factor in Assassinate.
>>
>>44928536
definitely hit fighter 5

after that it wouldn't be horrible to take two levels in rogue. cunning action is awesome, sneak attack never hurt anybody, and expertise is great.

if you go fighter 5 rogue 2, by 8 you can go back to fighter 6 and be back on curve for ASIs.
>>
Variant human Sharpshooter Shadow monk3/Battle master 17 Archery fighting style.
Max Dex Wis
Built to annoy my DM.
Yay or nay?
>>
>>44928536
Are you ranged or melee-focused, and what is your stat distribution?

If you're melee and have good Cha, you will likely find Swashbuckler hilarious. Go ahead and put off that ASI if you don't have any pressing need for ability score bumps or feats.

If you're ranged, I can't, in clear conscience, not recommend Battle Master Fighter 11 / Assassin Rogue 3 / Ambuscade Ranger 2 / Whatever the Fuck X with Sharpshooter, Crossbow Expert and both ranged Fighting Styles, despite the fact that your DM will look for any excuse not to give you that surprise round.
>>
>>44928444
Fighter 5/Rogue 1 lets you take BM and Extra Attack so you can Trip to set up advantage for a Sneak Attack. You've even got an action surge if you somehow miss. And one more opportunity if you want to take the Two Weapon Fighting route.
>>
>>44928608
What are you benefiting from by multiclassing into monk as an archer that you couldn't get from something else?
>>
File: DuQet40.jpg (4KB, 227x222px) Image search: [Google]
DuQet40.jpg
4KB, 227x222px
>>44928470
>$5
>For one class
>>
>>44928563
Explain to him straight up that madness is a thing and is in no way advantageous AND that his character would be more suceptible. And that there are some very strict societies that will easily murder the shit out of him in the setting.
>>
>>44928691
Unarmored defense (thanks to stats I already max out that's an AC of 20) extra movement speed +10ft and shadowmonks teleport.
>>
>>44928750
>shadowmonks teleport
except that you get that at level 6
>>
>>44928563
I don't think Azathoth is all about destruction is he?
I'm pretty sure he just sits around outside of the universe half-awake listening to his personal band of drum and pipe players.
And unless your player is Nyarlathotep, Azathoth wouldn't even know he existed.
>>
>>44928647
STR 8
DEX 18
CON 16
INT 10
WIS 13
CHA 12

Melee focused halfling fighter with a criminal background so rogue makes even more sense character-wise.
>>
>>44928563
Understand that Lovecraftian eldritch horrors don't really fall onto the traditional alignment axis as we understand it, just like we'd be fucking incomprehensible to bacteria. They wreck shit simply because their existence is incompatible with our own, not because of some evil desire to cause destruction.

Also, make sure your player understands this as well, and plays appropriately.
>>
>>44928776
Oh... My fuckup then.
Still BM14/Monk6 works for me.
>>
>>44928750
Until high tier your AC won't be anything special unless you're starting at level 20 somehow, and by 20 I'd expect you to have magic armor that would negate the difference. Take mobile if you really need movement speed, one ASI is less of an opportunity cost than a 3 level dip. You won't have teleport as that's a level 6 ability.
>>
>>44928705
Ah, i had almost forgotten madness was a big part of OoTA, that sounds like a great idea and it fits with Lovecraft themes as well. I think i'll hint to him about it as well as the NPCs the players escape with will probably be spooked by his stuff as well, reducing loyalty

>>44928788
Im pretty bad on lovecraft stuff myself, but he made it up that it was alot about destruction and to me, that didn't sound like a good team member in a party that needs to survive Underdark
>>
>>44928810

Half-orc is also great if you go Assassin and Champion as your archetype. Not as fun as Battle Master, but now you have a decent crit-chance and a boost to it, layered on top of Assassinate's auto-crit.
>>
>>44928837
Our Bard had a run in with madness last night at the start of a big fight. Started babbling and couldn't cast spells. We were not amused.
>>
>>44928834
DM lets us start of with a 16/16/10/10/10/10 as "standard array" which is a straight 16 AC at lvl1 and this is a lvl 10 Adventure so even with 6lvls in Shadow monk I still manage to get an ASI.
>>
>>44928827
Monk just seems really weak for an archer to dip into. Shadow Step only gives advantage on the next melee attack, doesn't work for ranged attacks. Any decent magical armor will give you near equal AC to unarmored defense. Your uses of Ki will be really limited to the point where you'd be better served multiclassing into rogue for cunning action and sneak attack for higher DPR. In fact, I'd suggest just multiclassing rogue if you need to multiclass at all.
>>
>>44928881
>Not as fun as Battle Master
I tripped a bear as a halfling. I'll never choose another fighter archetype.
>>
>>44928889
That sounds like alot of fun. My players have been having it abit easy with the Phandalin adventure now that they have learnt more about the game and such. They could use some dangerous situations like that
>>
>>44928810
Not seeing a specific Rogue archetype that's necessarily a must-pick for you here. Perhaps Assassin if you can reliably get surprise rounds, or else Swashbuckler (though you'd lose out somewhat from only having a +1 to Cha). Certainly, you'd definitely want to go no further than 7-8 levels in, perhaps as few as 2 or 3 if you aren't keen on Evasion and Uncanny Dodge.
>>
Rolling up a Bard for a game on Sunday. Starting level 5, going to be Lore. What are some good spells to grab with Magical Secrets next level? Most likely grabbing Aura of Vitality, because dem heals.
>>
>>44927389
Well, my Swashbuckler ended up going full Jackie Chan, having a running sword battle with about a horde of mooks and their leader, all of whom were after a baby he was carrying. Fight went through four levels of a castle, with me alternating between stabbing people, swinging off chandeliers, and parkouring over everything, all while trying not to drop the baby (who the DM claimed was having a grand old time).

I love 5e Rogues.
>>
>>44929087
Haste and Fly are the standard answers. Revivify may also be useful. Animate Dead and Counterspell will likely annoy your DM to no end.
>>
>>44928969
Uncanny Dodge is half-assed by having Parry anyway, though if I'd planned it out I would have taken something else and worked toward that. As it stands, two levels in rogue would let me cruise around the battlefield which is really useful.
>>
>>44929087
Find Familiar. Use your familiar to assist yourself and your allies.
>>
Anyone have a guide to races and all of their associated bonuses?
>>
File: 557690.jpg (30KB, 720x479px) Image search: [Google]
557690.jpg
30KB, 720x479px
What are some cool adventures for level 1 PCs? l'm planning to create my own but for now l need a kickstart.
>>
>>44929409
....there are literally only two books with races in them. What do you need a guide for?
>>
So this is more of a general problem, but I have a group of six players and I'm struggling to keep things moving.

We're all friends so I don't mind a bit of chit-chat, but a lot of sessions have people playing on their phones, talking about computer games, or otherwise just not paying attention.

Then at the end, even though I planned quite a few combat encounters, there's usually some comment or complaint about a lack of fights and experience points.

Any idea how to keep players engaged and moving forward? They're not That Guys or bad players, and I don't want to seem stuck-up by banning friendly chatter, but it does seem detrimental to the fun and makes the game move at a sluggish, less enjoyable pace.

This is in someone's home, with friends, so it's not an LGS where I can kick people out or find a new group.
>>
>>44929714
The official Adventures have been pretty fun for me so far. I've heard to avoid the dragon one though.
>>
>>44929820
Might have to force them to drop the phones. Otherwise start targeting the people not paying attention so things get hairy for them.
>>
File: 1452436910472.gif (1MB, 300x223px) Image search: [Google]
1452436910472.gif
1MB, 300x223px
How do you guys deal with clerics who want to meet their patron deity? We have a Dwarf in our party who is trying to summon Moradin because he wants an autograph.
>>
>>44929922
I can't help you if you're in a setting that is literally a chessboard for the gods.

Otherwise, give him an angel to talk to instead.

My cleric is getting mad at me about this too, since I'm approaching gods a little differently and he wants a more classic cleric.
>>
>>44929820
If you can, try and give about an hour before, after, or midway through the session where people can discuss out of character stuff and then crackdown on it during play by telling them either "You had/will have time for that later.".
>>
I want to make a character who's all about knowing basically everything. As many languages or possible (or can cast comprehend languages). Very high insight, perception, investigation checks. Basically if the DM allows you to roll to know it, I want to probably know it.

I was thinking of
>Divination Wizard
>highest stat in Int followed by Wis
>Sage background plus class give me proficiency in Arcana, History, Insight, and Investigation
>Feat: Skilled (Perception, Religion, Survival)

Thoughts? For spells, I'd take any divination-related ones that don't outright suck, and fill in the rest of the spaces with the occasional blast spell but mostly utility spells (stuff like grease looks fun).

Then my character would be the type to have a 10-foot pole, caltrops, ball bearings, string with bells on it, bag of ground up glass and chili peppers to have a mage hand toss in someone's eyes while you're safe behind a crate before starting combat, and so on.

Is this remotely viable? If not, is there any way to do this concept that would be?
>>
>>44929971

Well people naturally have a chat before the session, grab some food, etc. But then it seeps into the actual game: "Oh, speaking of [game], have you played [another game]?"

These are actual people and not robots so I sometimes try joining in a little, but at any given time two or more people will be having an off-topic conversation then say, "What? What did he say about the temple? I wasn't listening."

>>44929883

Some of them use their phones for apps that do seem to speed up the game. I don't know how they work, but I'll give the programmers (and users) the benefit of the doubt.
>>
>>44929820
>>44929971
In my games, and the game my friend is now running that I'm in, doing things that are outright distracting to you like playing on your phones is discouraged unless it's an emergency, occasional brief chit-chat or jokes (as long as they aren't really annoying or ruining the mood of the scene) are fine, and genuine off-topic direction happens for about 20 minutes before the game, after the game until everyone has decided to leave, and occasionally during the game but not often and seldom for more than four or five minutes at a time.

This way there's the social experience of hanging out with your friends, the game doesn't feel like you're suddenly no longer just hanging out with your buddies, but also is the core activity, etc.

But yeah, the main thing would be discourage them from playing on their phones and try to keep off-topic convos during the game to a minimum.
>>
>>44929922
I'm pretty sure gods can't be summoned onto the material plane but even if they could they wouldn't drop what they're doing for anything that wasn't earth shatteringly important. Even angels wouldn't be summoned without good reason.

The only way to meet him would be to go to Dwarfhome in Mount Celestia, and even then it would be extremely difficult to have an audience with him.
>>
>>44929748
Three books, and I'm also lazy as fuck
And its good to have a comprehensive guide to this anyway
>>
>>44930084
Focus your combat skills on de/buffs and battefield control. Prep as much as possible beforehand with all your knowledge. Be a wizard Batman.
>>
>>44930333
>wizard Batman
Basically what I was going for, or maybe a wizard Sherlock Holmes. But yeah, good idea.
>>
>>44930156
Three? PHB and EEPC. What's the third?
>>
>>44930394
I'm assuming the Eberron UA.
>>
>>44930394
Technically the SCAG did have alternate racial features for some races.
>>
>>44930394
>>44930432
SCAG has a number of racial variants as well (Duergar, ghostwise halflings, tiefling variants, half-elf variants, etc.).
>>
>>44930354
I mentioned it earlier to a bard player that familiars can assist, but it's worth another mention. They can also deliver touch spells and let you see and hear through them from 100 ft away. I think they're great for utility.
>>
>>44930573
What do you think is the best familiar for pure scouting purposes?
>>
>>44930616
One of the birds or a bat would be my preference, though I'm sure you can work around most of them.
>>
>>44930394
>>44930477
>>44930481
4 if you count the racial options in the DMG.
>>
>>44930573
It occurs to me now, how horribly unviable would a low-level build (probably for a one-shot) that revolved around Mage Armoring up your familiar before sending it out into battle to poke enemies with touch spells, like Shocking Grasp, be?

>>44930616
One of the Chainlock familiars with invisibility, so you can reliably remain in contact past 100 feet.
>>
>>44930782
Pure wizard character, at least early on.
>>
>>44930717
After a closer look an Owl or Cat would be better for scouting. I still like owls though for the knowledge angle plus flying.
>>
>>44930782
You'd be better off with an owl for delivering touch attacks as long as someone keeps the ranged enemies under control. They can move in, deliver the spell, and move out with Flyby which prevents an AoO. Don't really have a lot of slots to use early so some built in functionality is probably the best route.
>>
>>44930905
The point is to subtly by which I mean blatantly play a faggot with a Pikachu.
>>
Does anyone else watch that gang of cartoon voice actors play on Twitch because your own games can never reach that level
>>
>>44927389
In the starter adventure me and my group rolled characters because fuck pregens. I rolled a High Elf Fighter and was the only one to survive the whole module.

Anyway, we lured the green dragon back to town to try and ambush it with help from the locals. It catches wind, starts killing people left and right. Warlock is dropped in one breath, the paladin is unconcious and the cleric is near death. My Elf Fighter though is barely standing toe to toe with said dragon, nicking it her and there. After a while, dragon stops to try and sell me on the idea that my character should join it in slowly taking over the region. My character "NOPES" and swing his maul one last time, smashing in it's skull. Quickly stabilize the cleric and paladin, but the towns main healer died so warlock is permadead. After pulling a tooth free, I give the body to the locals to do with as they see fit.

All that and we still needed to explore the caves!
>>
>>44930954
Then go nuts. You can change the form of your familiar by casting the spell again while it's around, so you could use the owl at first and then switch to a rat later once you have more spell slots. If you're worried about it, of course.
>>
>>44930958

Yes, but only on weekends when i'm working and bored.

I've had better groups desu though. Way too bloated cast (ha) and I'm not sure I like Mercer's DMing style. Plus for the most part its still just the usual 'nerds at the table making nerd jokes for 4 hours' only with better voice range.
>>
>>44930616
Owl.
>>
>>44931059
>permadead
Raise Dead has a time limit of 10 days. Get to it!
>>
>>44931122
We needed to help the town first. We did sorta lure a dragon into it and got a fair number of people killed. Then we had to try and find some fucking orcs, deal with the cultists, and explore Wave Echo Cave, which took us a couple says to handle due to being swarmed by ghouls, a recurring flame skull, and other shit. Yeah, that cave was a meat grinder on all but my character thankfully.
>>
>>44927389
I put my life on the line once as a sorcerer to ensure a green Dragon would not eat our party fighter. Shit ended fine but he one shot me with his breathe attack. Fun experience but would probably never do that again if I can avoid it
>>
>>44931073
He's also the guy who puts out those shitty/edgy homebrews on the DMsG, isn't he?
>>
>>44931255
Yeah he made the Gunslinger because a player was playing one in PF before they switched over to 5e and he made the Witchhunter for Vin Diesel as a tie-in to that movie.
>>
File: 1451838142527.jpg (114KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1451838142527.jpg
114KB, 1920x1080px
>>44927389
No because I'm happily stuck as a ForeverDM.

The party did run off during an undead attack on a city straight to the source in an attempt to kill some of the higher level enemies and stop the undead thing from happening. They died valiantly for their efforts.
>>
>>44930958
I'm actually here because I'm watching them and it's made me remember that I've had an interest in DnD but never knew anyone who did. Any tips on how to find a group that won't crucify me for being new?
Also tfw at my orientation to my new job a gril mentioned to someone else she plays DnD on fridays, and I spaggheti'd too hard to say something
tfw we work opposite shifts so there's no way to talk to her about it now unless I run into her outside of work and then it'd be weird to bring up now since we haven't talked since our orientation
>>
>>44931380
Find a local game store. They probably have a D&D night or three. They often run official adventures and modules. They generally love new people. And you're bound to see that girl again. You can mention you remember her talking about D&D, wait for her response (she'll probably ask if you play), then you mention that you don't and ask if she has advice on a group or know of any with an opening.
>>
>>44931527
>You're bound to see that girl again
I have a few times, and each time I've become super nervous for some reason. Probably because I want I really want to bring up DnD but I know it's weird since we haven't talked in like 4 months and the DnD comment was a conversation she had with someone else
>>
>>44931527
Also forgot to add onto my last post, how bad of an idea is it for me to play a Wizard for my first character. I know some of the mechanics that I've picked up from watching the stream, and I know the DM on that stream said that you should avoid magic if you're new
>>
>>44931570
Literally just say, "hey, did you say one time you played D&D? Might have been someone else." That way she can't feel too weird about it because you're not 100% sure if it was her or not, but if she thinks it's cool, hey, you're the guy who cared about her interests.
>>
>>44931570
Alright that's a little awkward but saying you overheard she played isn't terribly strange. Just don't say you were eavesdropping or anything like that. Alternatively, talk to a coworker who would know she plays about how you want to get into it. If they mention her name that gives you another reason for knowing she plays. It is also underhanded and morally grey.
>>
>>44931605
You don't have to avoid it, it's more to learn but not necessarily harder to learn.
>>
>>44931380
>Any tips on how to find a group that won't crucify me for being new?
First off, it's unlikely that you'll have this problem. In my experience, actually, the opposite is usually: if you express the desire to play TRPGs to somebody who plays them, they might even go out of their way to help you get into the hobby. It's how I got started, how everybody I introduced to the game got started, and I'm sure if you asked on here a lot of people would have similar origin stories.

I don't think it'd be a bad idea to ask that girl about her game. Everybody and their mom has heard of D&D, but it's only a tiny subset of those people who actually know how it's played or have actually played it themselves, so (understandably) a lot of people are curious about it. She'll probably understand.

>>44931605
I would go with a fighter for a first character, personally, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. However, if you're going to be joining a pre-existing group, it would probably be a good idea to ask the group about what roles they need filled if any.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 1346x1838px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 1346x1838px
Anyone play the playtest module versions of Isle of Dread? If so, how was it?
>>
>>44931605
It's better to play what you want. Magic is complicated, but you can offset that by reading the PHB and getting some help from your DM and the rest of your group. Contrary to popular belief, thinking isn't all that hard.
>>
Any problem with running suboptimal builds? Or some personality/class contrast? Our group is mostly new so I thought it'd be fun if my warlock's pact weapon was a gauntlet. I have some utility but my character's more about direct confrontation so my spells are more armor and direct damage related.
>>
>>44931827
5e is surprisingly dangerous, so I'd weigh that in if I were you. That said, you don't have to min/max to survive so you can have fun.
>>
Did anyone finish a copy of the PHB and DMG that doesn't have the art in it?
>>
>>44931983
Hm, I suppose it all depends on the chosen content and the GM's discretion
>>
>Fifty Shades of Thay
DMsGuild has gone too far.
>>
Why is 5eg so much slower than pfg? Is 5e dead or is it due to constant shitposting in pfg?
>>
>>44932220
>is it due to constant shitposting in pfg?
>>
>>44932220
They need to bitch about PF more often.

And need help sifting through the content bloat.
>>
>>44932220
People are playing 5e
>>
>>44932220
Casuals follow the BRAND. Nerds and enthusiasts followed the GAME.

4chan is for nerds and enthusiasts.
>>
>>44932472
absolument sauvage
>>
>>44927438
I believe spare the dying is a necro cantrip
so skip the healing and go straight to the spare death
Perhaps you could use it on your fallen enemies
You are good
>>
File: 743828928.jpg (74KB, 736x755px) Image search: [Google]
743828928.jpg
74KB, 736x755px
Is Warlock Pact of the Chain the best class for familiar/animal companions? Any tips on making the most of that concept?
>>
>>44927389
Probably challenging a King a duel to the death to free my comrades.
>>
>Open Hand monk
>On a boat
>tfw throwing a dozen mooks off of the boat with flurry attacks
>>
>>44932833
They give you the best familiars for sure. Imps can do the help action shenanigans like an owl and invisible his way out, plus warlock of the chain get that nifty hold monster at will invocation. It may be slightly limited but it's still really good. Plus an imp makes a great spy since it can go in is and turn into a number of tiny creatures to slip into enemy territory.
>>
>>44931724
What exactly makes it more difficult? Like from my understanding you get a certain amount of spells that you can learn (not 100% sure what determines that yet) and then you can prep a different amount to use for the day (which is based off of wizard level) and then you have a set amount of uses of spell levels which can be used to cast any spell that's that level or lower which reset per day. It seems pretty simple, is there something I'm missing?
>>
Is note passing to the dm generally acceptable? I want to play the telepathy warlock but dont want the others to metagame....am i that guy?
>>
>>44933182
It can get pretty cumbersome, especially if you're a slow writer or have bad handwriting. The good groups I've been in did it out in the open anyway, and trusted everyone to not metagame and have their character act on knowledge they don't have.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1453441917100.jpg (28KB, 600x326px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1453441917100.jpg
28KB, 600x326px
>>44927389
>Last session Damli Winterbark (an avid chef and halfling rogue) half dead from being flattened by a Stone Giant's club and exhausted from a three day ride through the desert, managed to sneak up on the self same Giant mid combat, crawl under it's body, prop himself up on a pile of debris and release a fury wreathed arrow taintward.
>Motherfucker only critted the roll too.
My party's faces when the DM described in excruciating detail the quite exuisite agony of having a steel tipped Q tip crammed into your nether-regions.
>>
>>44933141
Mostly keeping track of your spell effects and the DC checks for them. Some spells do nothing on a passed check, some do half damage, some have repeatable saves, some have no saves. There are concentration checks, areas spells cover, adjusting spells to user level, adjusting spells to spell slot level. Fighters play a much simpler game for the most part.
>>
>>44933249
Our cleric got fed up while negotiating with a drider. Waited for them to give us the map they offered and threw a bag full of 11 vials of alchemist fire at the leader
>>
Any good tools for creating homebrew?

The rebbit one isn't bad, but it dosen't have a good option for exporting to PDF.
>>
>>44933182
>>44933247
It's really fun when you can peek in on other people's telepathic communications with your flumph companion.

But yeah generally speaking good players can easily separate in game and out of game knowledge.
>>
>>44933391
Microsoft Word.

You could get away with OpenOffice as well, probably.
>>
>>44933451
Don't lie, OpenOffice is unusable trash that changes your document to new and wacky formatting every time you look at it. And it seems Google Docs agrees with Word on what a document of most types (including odt) should look like, so OpenOffice gets exposed as the faker every time.
>>
>>44932220
less shit-posting here...

>>44927389
What I pulled off in 5e: I was playing a Paladin of Man (Humanity Fuck Yeah). Half a dozen Half-Orcs were raping human women during a new-years festival, so I have the Paladin use Thaumaturgy to amplify his voice, attracting the half-orc's attention, before drawing his Greatsword out, use Thaumaturgy again to create glowing eyes and make the Ground Shake beneath the horde....

With the Booming Voice of a Paragon of Humanity, he lets out an holy hymn of War, before decapitating an half-orc Rapist, and routing the rest.
>>
>>44933258
Ah, I see.
>>
I'm wanting to create a Gun-lock...

How can I optimize the shit outta this?
>>
>>44933391
Where might I find the reddit one? I was hoping to give it a try.
>>
>>44933566
What the hell kind of edgy, fucked up game is your DM running where you just find a pack of (specifically) half-orcs raping women?
>>
>>44933605
Step 1: Get a gun.

Step 2: Use Eldritch Blast instead.
>>
>>44933549
>2016
>not using libre software
>>
>>44933870
It's flakeware not software. It can't be relied on even to be bad in the same way every time and the people who use it to work are similarly the most unreliable people you'll ever meet.
>>
>>44928705
He sounds like an edgelord and will surely ruin your game. Mark my words.
>>
>>44933826
A homebrew game that uses all the UA. Think Shadowrun, with all the vices he have in history.

That and we are all Politics majors...
>>
>>44929922
stop playing with children?
>>
>>44930084
Your character sounds insuffferable and mechanics-focused. 2/10, would not accept into my game.
>>
>>44933928
That doesn't really explain why half-orcs would get together and have a rapefest, but okay.
>>
>>44933973
Orcs are a cross between muslims and Mongols.

The Half-Orcs claim to be fleeing their fully-orc superiors... But they too hate weakness, and believe the civilized races as 'weak'.
>>
>>44934177
Basically Half-Orc men can't compete/build a harem like pure-orcs, so try and find weaker women.

Does that clarify anything?
>>
>>44934177
>>44934228
Just that makes me more happy I'm not in your group.
>>
Is there a drunken boxing monk option?
>>
>>44934256
... Are you asking for homebrew? Because it shouldn't be that hard to check the 4 books with player options to find out there isn't official content.
>>
>>44929922

I would have an angel show up with a cease and desist letter/writ/abmahnung...signed by Moradin.
>>
>>44934256
1. Be a monk
2. Drink
>>
>>44934297
With Moradin's signature.*

He has Angel's for signing things.
>>
>>44934364

Well, it would turn out that it was a stamp, but that's a revelation for later.
>>
>>44934410
That's good. actually.
>>
>>44931684
no, but now I really want to
>>
File: image.jpg (71KB, 645x444px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71KB, 645x444px
How does vampirism work?
>>
>>44934470
Like, in general, or do you have a mor specific question?
>>
>>44934470

Drink blood, stay out of the sun, avoid holy symbols.
>>
So does the bonus action attack from monk's martial arts apply your ability modifier to the damage, or does it function as a bonus attack that a rogue might attempt?
>>
>>44934709
It applies the ability modifier. Only BA attacks make when TWF lose the ability modifiers.
>>
Hey all I need a dungeon for 5th level players. Something not too large that they can finish in two-three sessions. There's 4 players currently, currently a Warlock, a Paladin, a Fighter/Rogue, and a Wizard. Can anyone help me out? Otherwise I'll resort to Donjon... (But their shit will totally wipe my party!)
>>
>>44934728
One idea for a low / mid lvl party I had awhile ago was a necromancers trap dungeon.

Basically the party is hired by a town figurehead to check out an old abandoned mansion after a number of disappearances. The party gets to the mansion and the main room is barren and decrepit with only a few large rooms on the first floor and a large staircase.

However the staircase is an illusion and once someone tries to walk up the stairs they trigger a massive trap door to open in the room that drops the whole party down into a corpse pit And the trap door closes after they fall In.

The corpse pit connects to a large maze of secret passages under the mansion where a fair number of zombies and skeletons lie in wait (a mixture of both the higher and lower CR zombies and skeletons) along with the necromancer (mage) and beholder zombie.

The party can use the secret passages and rooms to their advantage and rest up when needed but it should be a challenging but simple dungeon crawl all and all.
>>
>>44934859
My game is finishing its Lost Mines of Phandelver campaign. They're about to go to the room with the undead wizard (Wraith I think) and find their next adventure hook to go after "Easy money" I'm thinking a vault, but that idea sounds pretty interesting. However we just had a bunch of undead creatures we've dealt with in the last couple of months
>>
File: 1436273872028.jpg (341KB, 538x800px) Image search: [Google]
1436273872028.jpg
341KB, 538x800px
Is Rogue 3 (swashbuckler)/Bladelock 17 a completely shit idea? Not looking to minmax, just want to play a mystical spellblade
>>
>>44934896
That's fair. I enjoyed LMoP very much and I agree that would be a lot of undead to deal with. Maybe change it to demon / devil cultists then with low CR demons or devils thrown in with the bunch as allies and CR 4 or 5 demon /devil and a cultist leader (I think they are called cultist fanatics in the MM) as the bosses. Similar structure with the same general vibe.
>>
>>44934920
Why rogue 3
>>
>>44934941
for the swashbuckler archetype
>>
>>44934896
Oh and as for easy money, the town figurehead is willing to pay top dollar to solve this because people disappearing near your town is bad for bringing in travelers.
>>
Is there a better Gunslinger out there or am I stuck with Matt Mercer's?
>>
>>44934964
Make your own
>>
>>44934920
The 2d6 sneak attack will be outpaced by your eldritch blast, and your eldritch blast and casting will be hindered by your rogue levels. Unfortunately, until an official dusckblade comes out, EK is the better option for spell blades.
>>
>>44934964
Any class, but with a gun.

Battle Master Fighter with a gun.

Ranger with a gun.

Rogue with a gun.
>>
Druid's wildshape feature says you can turn into a creature CR 1/4 or lower when you get it. You can also continue concentrating and working with a spell that you cast before shapeshifting. Does that mean I could cast Call Lightning and turn into a hummingbird to become nigh impossible to catch while I smite shit?
>>
>>44934997
I'm quite positive EK is suppose to be the official duskblade. That's the vibe Ihave had all this time at least.
>>
File: 1419913262866.jpg (33KB, 500x362px) Image search: [Google]
1419913262866.jpg
33KB, 500x362px
>DM

>think, alright man just focus on the PC's, F.O.C.U.S. on what the PC's do, and want...

>game starts

>all I can think about is my npc's

>my players are the DM, I'm the player now

>trying to give them a good challenge

>crazy stupid combats

>more combats

>oh yeah I'm roleplaying here we go

>games over

fuck's sake I hate myself so fucking much
>>
>>44935260
wat
>>
File: ohboy.jpg (10KB, 125x108px) Image search: [Google]
ohboy.jpg
10KB, 125x108px
I just wanna be a cool scout bro who wanders around in the woods and someone is like "A baby got lost in the woods" and I kinda throw up my hands and go track it down because I care about others for some reason, and I eventually wander south and join an adventuring party as a guide and get involved in all this cult of the dragon madness but I cant play that character because I don't have the patience to sit down and write a god damned background and wander about which skills and stats he would have and what his flaws and ideals are in his heart and where he was born, I just want to appear out of the woods and be a scout, but 5e just won't let me. I just want to be named Thomas Longfellow or something but everyone in Forgotten Realms/Tolkien has really longwinded names and I hate my party and myself and the hobby and the thread, why can't I just be left alone to wander in a forest, maybe it's called Eld Forest because it's so old and full of mystery, and the gods smile on me and when I am killed saving a woman from orc rape I go to the Happy Hunting Grounds and see my dad again. But no instead I am sitting here wondering about how much charisma I would have. Probably 8 since I like to be left alone.
>>
>>44935177
Yes, although unless by "impossible to hit" you merely mean "flying" you are probably better off choosing a high HP animal instead of something like a hummingbird (closest thing I could think of is a hawk, which has 12 ac and 1 hp).
>>
>>44935284
wtf are you on about
is this some kind of copypasta i'm not familiar with?
>>
>>44935284
I don't understand what you are on about or how any of that is specific to 5e or even D&D in general.
>>
>>44935293
I was thinking "impossible to hit" as in I would be a 2 inch tall bird sitting in a tree fully obscured by leaves and branches (save for brief moments where I dart out and lightning some fools). You'd have to be goddamn Cross Hair to land a shot like that, or have an AoE to cover the whole tree.
>>
File: 1390278143885.png (108KB, 1379x2031px) Image search: [Google]
1390278143885.png
108KB, 1379x2031px
>>44935284
I know what you mean....................
>>
File: Woodsman.gif (2MB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
Woodsman.gif
2MB, 500x300px
>>44935297
No. I was just venting a bit. It's not copypasta.
>>
>>44934964
The only reason that mercers version of the gunslinger exists is because mercers version of guns exist.

You have to make up your own guns or use one from the DMG. Honestly a battlemaster fighter using a rifle with stolen longbow stats would have more "gun" tricks than a gunslinger, and would deal more damage too.
>>
>>44935284
Are you seriously getting mad that the gang forces you to roleplay?

I legitimately can't understand what's going on here.
>>
>>44935312
In this edition size doesn't contribute to AC, so really small things like bats, toads, even a normal spider don't have an AC higher than 13. You will still be easy to hit. Although you can try hiding in dense foliage or something if its around and your DM is likely to give you advantage on the stealth roll.
>>
>>44935320
can you like unpackage that whole thing for me then?

you can appear out of the woods and be a scout. they even just made a scout archetype for fighters in the latest UA, not to mention the ranger is serviceable up to around level 8.

you can name yourself thomas longfellow. and plenty of campaigns involve wandering the wilderness for days on end.
>>
>>44935343
No, I like to roleplay, it's the best part. I dunno, it's just that there are so many rules and stats and backgrounds and features and ideals and stuff that gets in the way of good roleplay, for me anyway. I am like "I am Thomas Longfellow a scout from the wilds north of the Delimbyr River" and they are like "I am Valsynius the Sorcerer who become a warlock of an ancient Vampire who grants him power over life and death and I have 8 str 8 int 8 wis and 27 charisma, I shoot a goblin with a death ray" and the math and damage per round ends up being all that matters.
>>
>>44927389
Joining a game tomorrow, im joining late so ill start at 6.

The character idea I have is a hedge knight, turned demon hunter. Most likely fighting with just a longsword and possibly shield as well.

Any ideas about how to best become a demon hunter?
>>
>>44935284
Just say Background: Woodsman and put all of this below it. No features, no ideals, nothing, it will be funny and it will also explain exactly who you are as a character. Tommy Longfellow
>>
>>44935355
I thought you couldn't be targeted by ranged attacks when in full cover. I'm assuming this is outside (for call lightning) and there is some amount of tree/brush that would be able to hide 2 inches worth of bird.
>>
>>44935371
Depends on what your wanting to do exactly. Tbh the best demon Hunter I can think of is a Paladian, because you can detect fiends and your smites hit fiends harder than normal.

Also a Paladian can be a knight so it works for that too.
>>
>>44935365
This is the most rules light system in the last 4 generations of D&D. The flaws, ideals and bonds sections of background are all stated to be examples, you can still create your own (or not have them at all). It was supposed to be a way for people that like pregens or randomly rolling to have a good way to get inspiration.

Finally, background FEATURES only serve to aid roleplaying. Someone like your scout might have the wanderer background feature, so you would be able to supply food for yourself in the wilderness without needing to roll (which only makes sense, really).

I could understand your concern if they were real, but it sound like you have a bad case of RTFM. Its alright though, most people here have it.
>>
>>44935395
If that were the case you couldn't be using call lightning to hit people, since its a point you can see within range. Most enemies don't have anything to lose to ready an action for when you pop out of hiding.
>>
File: ee7657be3219fef02b7bf4f56d735cfa.jpg (126KB, 700x1013px) Image search: [Google]
ee7657be3219fef02b7bf4f56d735cfa.jpg
126KB, 700x1013px
>>44935386
this is solid advice for a woodsman

I want to also say that the new fighter scout archetype seems super woodsman-y to me, much more pared down than the ranger if thats what you want.
>>
File: Tommy.png (13KB, 291x425px) Image search: [Google]
Tommy.png
13KB, 291x425px
>>44935457
Do you think my art for Thomas is good?
>>
>>44935464
haha definitely he seems like he means business

hes a no nonsense dude, thomas
>>
>>44935479
Nice, I'll go with it, and the Scout from the UA. Maybe things are looking up.
>>
>>44935454
Ah, forgot about readied actions. The general plan was to use minuscule size to let me treat normal terrain as full cover, and then fly out, lightning, fly back to safety. I guess it still works if they didn't see me set up the storm in the first place..who's going to notice a hummingbird 100 feet away, and suspect it's making lightning strikes on top of that.
>>
File: xIuTJ.jpg (112KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
xIuTJ.jpg
112KB, 500x667px
my players are resting all the time and getting their health back what do I do just ineterrupt them randomly with encounters?

how do I randomly decide when shit happens anyway, like which monster attacks who? flip a coin? think like a monster and just attack whoever attacked it?
>>
>>44935566
1) think like a monster
2) they don't have to be random encounters, make them on topic and just think about things that could happen
3) you make sure that the time they take to rest costs them somehow. the world continues to move, the villain furthers his goals. the troops in the rest of the dungeon start to organize themselves. whatever it is, make sure its give and take
>>
>>44935566
Make an encounter chart for any possible situation and roll it. Make encounters a moderately low possibility, like 35% or less. This way your not swarming them but you are making short rests not as free.

With that said they are technically using the short rest mechanic appropriately so don't be too harsh on them for it. They only get a few HD a day to heal anyways, unless they have a bard.
>>
>>44935607
Let me rephrase that. Make multiple encounter charts, each for different situations, and roll on the one that is appropriate.
>>
So I made the mistake of letting some of my players try deathwatch and now they are upset that their characters aren't all super competent at everything.

How do you tell someone that having the ability to fail makes things interesting and adds tension when all they care about is being ever increasingly powerful in combat?
>>
I want to make a charming rascal Bard who half-swording and grapples people when not casting spells. Help me not die.
>>
>>44935657

use your head
>>
>>44935624
Let them try playing oldschool D&D for a bit, then see if they complain when you bring them back to 5e.
>>
>>44935657
Valor bard with moderate str , high cha, and expertise in athletics and persuasion. Pick up the tavern brawler and grappler feats. Your set.
>>
I was thinking about stats for Roland from the Dark Tower. Something like Str 14, Dex 20, Cha 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 08

Sound reasonable? He's a good shot, and he's pretty strong and hearty, but he's not very smart or likeable.
>>
>>44935733
How does he have 22 Charisma?
>>
File: motherfucker.gif (630KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
motherfucker.gif
630KB, 200x200px
>>44935750
clearly I meant Con 14, Cha 08, should be obvious.............................................................................................................................................................................................
>>
>>44935763
trolld xd
>>
>>44935509
I mean, you can't cast spells in wildshape, so it will be pretty obvious when you cast the spell as a man, then turn into a bird and fly into the air in front of all your enemies.

Also I would be way too scared to fly that high as a druid. Someone hits you and you turn back in the air... you are hitting the ground hard. 100ft up is 10d6 damage IIRC.
>>
>>44935785
He's not casting spells. He's directing a spell he's already casted and is concentrating on.
>>
>>44931300
Nice, in the same situation, I threw an undead attack at the city they were in and they just ran, I made it abundantly clear that if they killed the leader it would all stop, then made the leader come out of the group and march towards them, they ran. Stole a couple of horses and abandoned the city.

In a few campaigns fime I'm probably going to make "The Lost City of the Dead" or something the centreline story line to the quest or something, so I guess it set me up for a nice throwback, long term.
>>
>>44935789
I understand this, but who just casts call lightning because they are just walking around? it only has a duration of 10 minutes and you can only wildshape twice a day. You get to do this for 20 whole minutes while walking around and if the DM doesn't have any encounters happen during this 20 minutes you burned a large amount of resources on nothing.

Unless of course you didn't even finish reading my first sentence, and misunderstood because of that.
>>
>>44935883
He's not flying in the air, he's hiding behind something, granting him total cover easily because he is so small.
>>
What're some ways to get into 5e? I come from a PF background and was hoping there was something similar to Pathfinder Society where I could ease into the game with no experience.
>>
>>44935897
>>44935509
420readit
>>
>>44935933
You can come on over to my place, I got all the books, and some Mogen David. We'll roll up some example characters, run a few solo encounters, then see where the night takes you. I am a gay man irl. Let's get together sometime.
>>
>>44935783
GOT 'EM
>>
>>44935933
There is something similar to pathfinder society, called the adventures league. AL also have log sheets and player ID numbers but is generally much simpler to join and is more open to new players from my experience. The Wotc website for 5e has a search bar to find registered AL groups in your area.
>>
So the players saved the life of the son of the King, when they were in the adventure they found some magic items, but they want to ask for the King for more magic items, the King will not give it to them, but I'm thinking in grant to them some land and a knighthood title, how this would work?
>>
>>44936101
How old is the Prince? The King could offer them a place in his household
>>
>>44936160
The prince is +- 25 y/o
>>
>>44936167
Then the Prince should be the one who rewards them, dude should have his own lands and wealth
>>
>>44936101
King grants them an estate, they turn up and install themselves in a manor, collect the rents from the peasantry, get to hunt in the woods on the land and they have to be called "my lord" by people beneath them, and referred to as "baron/earl/count/duke of (estate)" formally. If they're knights they get to call themselves Sir (first name). In exchange they owe the king military service and/or money.

There's a whole host of other rights that go with being nobility if you care about them too, but that's the long and short of it.
>>
>>44936184
The Prince was I'll and will take some time to recover his consciousness.
>>
>>44936204
was ill*
>>
>>44928422
Holy shit, people ACTUALLY pay for stuff there?

I'm astounded.
>>
>>44935010
This right here. This Anon is smart.

The primary problem I've had with all Gunslinger brews (not just Mercer's) is that they make Firearms proficiency a class- or archetype-exclusive feature. Thematic concerns there aside, this is enormously conducive to "Hurr, lookit my special gunman" characters.
>>
>>44935710
Apparently Lore bards ironically make better grapplers because they can use Cutting Words to make people fail their Athletics checks.

I rolled for stats and did really well, so I got that going for me, at least. Two 16s, 3 14s and an 11.

Trying to decide between Lore Bard 5/Fighter 1 or straight Valour Bard 6.
>>
>>44936677
Absolutely agree with you. It's not even that I hate Mercer's Gunslinger more than anything else, the guy seems to actually have at least some eye for balance and trying to make it play interestingly, but pigeonholing a class to a single method of attack is something that restricts characters and the ability for players to think outside the box. Pathfinder's big on encouraging this.
>>
>>44932220
5e is less technical, less arguments about the small stuff
>>
>>44932220
>Why is 5eg so much slower than pfg?
A couple of weeks ago people were asking why 5eg was faster than pfg.

There is no trend, they're both the same speed.
>>
>>44931684
Yes. Carnivorous apes ate my player charterers.
>>
Other than magic items, what are some good things to sell to players? Gold seems very devalued in this edition.
>>
>>44937199
Sometimes potions of healing are scarce. I also rule that nonmagical plate armor has to be custom-made to fit the wearer, making it something you have to buy rather than scavenge. And, of course, land and buildings, vehicles to load treasure onto, and hirelings to carry said treasure for you.
>>
>>44927782

>Later invest in feats that give advantage to wisdom and MAYBE Dexterity save

I presume you mean "proficiency", but you can only take Resilience once.
>>
How would you go about making a Swiftblade in 5e? What class would it be an archetype for?
>>
>custom setting
>humans get +1 to each ability score
>each nonhuman playable race gets +3 to a single ability score
How does this effect the game?
>>
>>44935874
Nnnnnice. Sometimes you just gotta know when to fuck right off.

My campaign is focused on Vecna bleeding the Shadowfell over into the prime material hence why there's so many undead. Previously they were able to halt it by killing the leaders, but it's become a sort of plague that feeds off of the desperation and death of mortals. Coupled with Vecna's old friend Kas recruiting an Orc warlord in the north to wage battle for him.

I'll probably keep the capital city as a festering hold of undead, some kind of Dark Souls-esque thing.
>>
>>44935371
Hunter 3 or 4, paladin everything else. With smite and the colossus ability from hunter, you'll be premo demon hunter/tracker. Carry around items that will help your hunt, IE. holy water, purifying salt, holy symbols etc.
>>
>>44937493
It now allows point buy and standard array level 1 characters to have 18 in their primary stat.
>>
>>44936724
It's not even just the pigeonholing; in some cases it's the opposite.

5e broadly classifies weapons as martial, melee, simple, and ranged. Typically, weapons proficiencies are given out as some abstraction of these to reflect the expertise needed to effectively wield them.

The thematic concern I mentioned earlier is that, in a setting where firearms are available (even if they're rare or expertly-crafted), they'd still fall into these categories. A Ranger could be expected to use a hunting rifle instead of a bow, and a Rogue might use a brace of pistols rather than hand crossbows.

So, in short, I'm less concerned about a Gunslinger class painting itself into a corner and more concerned about having an archetype that says "these toys aren't for you." No PHB archetype does this to anywhere near the same extent.
>>
>>44937488
Having two swords and swinging them quickly does not require its own subclass. Jesus fuck.
>>
>>44932888
Even better when you are around lvl 10 and can run up cliff walls and knock people down for extra falling damage...
>>
Where do you draw the line on character backstory?

I've got two new players, and here are their respective backstories:

Player A
>She was born and raised as a noble, but is bored with that life
>Runs away and takes up a second identity
>Halfling Rogue

Player B
>Four page document detailing his life up to this point, including no less than three cities, two Kingdoms, and about a dozen or so NPC's
>Elf Cleric, Death domain

Neither of these players have played before....which one is going to be a problem?
>>
>>44936383
Some of us aren't poor teenagers.
>>
>>44937796
Player B. Level one characters need one page of backstory or less.

Adventure ain't even started yet. This is what the background rules are for.
>>
Why are Wis casters limited to ''divine'' casters?
Why is there no Wizard archetype with Wis as primary casting stat or at least a half-caster?
>>
>>44937897
Because who cares? When people start telling me their idea for a character and it revolves entirely around an ability score or some other rules feature, that's a red flag.
>>
>>44937897
That is the most specific complaint I've ever seen.
>>
>>44937897
Because subclasses of caster classes never change their casting stat.

Because putting that in an official book would be a waste of space.

Because muh legacy mechanics.
>>
>>44937965
It's not a compliant.
It's a question.

>>44937970
And got my answer.
>>
>>44937560
What bugs me about it is how it's a splat for the players that significantly changes the game world and makes a ton of extra work for the DM. If you've got a PC with revolvers or a nice rifle, something on the level of 19th century tech, and the rest of the world doesn't even have 16th century petards or artillery, that requires some smoothing out.
>>
>>44937981
>>44937897
I've always been more confused as to why the Paladin spellcasting ability is Charisma instead of Wisdom.

I always thought the relationship made sense if it was closer to:

Fighter > Paladin > Cleric
Fighter > Ranger > Druid
Fighter > ???? > Wizard / Warlock / Sorcerer
>>
>>44936383
I'll be honest, I'm a little shocked, too, especially since I listed it as pay-what-you-want. Apparently, people WANTED to pay forty bucks for my shitty homebrew.

Mind you, it has over eight hundred orders, so that averages to less than $0.05 per person, but still.

>>44928470
I said I'm lazy, not stupid. A single class for $5.00 is hideously overpriced.
>>
>>44938009
It used to be Wisdom in 3e, but then 4e fucked with it, and they left it fucked-with in 5e because it did reduce MAD and paladins have always been required to be dashing and have high Charisma.
>>
>>44938009
The whole paladin class doesn't make sense either.
It turned out to be the ''party-faec'' class with the ''charismatic leader'' trait instead of being spell-knights channeling their magic from a divine source.
>>
>>44938009
Because paladins are about force of personality and zeal, not evangelism and understanding.

Besides, I've always viewed it more as

>Paladin - Warlock - Cleric
Deal with a divine source for power.

>Barbarian - Ranger - Druid
Draw power from connection to primal forces.

>Fighter - Monk - Wizard
Gain power from study and training.

>Rogue - Bard - Sorcerer
Those other motherfuckers.
>>
>>44938042
To be fair, the original Paladins were nobles and leaders. The magic came much later, in the retellings.

>tfw paladin doesn't have a class feature that lets him blow a horn so hard his temples explode
>>
>>44937897
I'd be much happier about it if each of the three major magical sources was explicitly and always the same ability score. If arcane was always intelligence, divine always charisma, and primal always wisdom, there'd at least be consistency. Instead, arcane is intelligence and charisma, divine is wisdom and charisma, and primal is always wisdom. Hell, just give primal an intelligence-based caster, and you'd have a fairly decent spread, with a nice cyclical structure.
>>
>>44938098
Paladin or PALATIN were Palace Knights, or so to say the Knights raised by the King to serve as administrators, judges and so on and had to keep a pristine reputation.
Thus the image of Chivalrous knights.

>>44938125
Actually i have to agree on the division being

Wis - primal power from the world or from inside the body (changing sorcs to Wis casters)

Cha - channeled power from a contracted outside source (divine servants, paladins and warlocks)

Int - power gained through training and understanding how shit actually works - wizards
>>
>>44937874
That's what I'm saying. There are so many red flags in his story too.

>carries around two dead bodies of little girls whose souls have been trapped inside him for 75 years so far

That's my main concern.
>>
File: stupidity.jpg (29KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
stupidity.jpg
29KB, 250x250px
I'm sure this has been asked before but

If I choose to burn two sorcery points to extend a spell multiple times does the duration perform linearly or exponentially?

ex; duration 10m spell with 3 sorcery points burnt.
Final Duration = Base Duration + (Base Duration * (SP))
FD = 10 + (10 * 3)
10 20 30 40
Final Duration of 40 minutes
vs
Final Duration = Base Duration * (2^SP))
FD = 10*(2^3)
10 20 40 80
Final Duration of 80 minutes

Thanks
>>
>>44938245
You cannot apply the same metamagic more than once to a spell. In fact, the only time you can apply two metamagic features to the same spell is when one of them is Empower Spell and the other one is anything else.
>>
>>44938264
There goes my dream of my favoured soul battle sorcerer having a 24hr persisted freedom of movement for 5 SPs.

Guess I'll just take Twin Spell and something else. Silent spell may be helpful to counter any Silences that get dropped on him.

Damn. Thanks, bad news guy.
>>
What about a class that uses Dex or Str as its casting stat.

Please advise.
>>
>>44938321
No.
You already have your cancer mages.
>>
>>44938321
What about a ranger or monk or warlock that's actually good?
>>
>>44938245

As the other guy said, you can't apply it more than once, but in D&D the answer was always "linearly". Doubling something twice results in a triple.
>>
>>44938358
Monk needs to get a proper spell list/spell level table and use ki like sorcery points for sorcerer work.
Limit the spells to touch and self range.

Ranger needs to become a proper half caster.
Something like being able to enchant their arrows when shooting them.
Etc.

Warlocks could gain new traits depending on their patron as they level up.
>>
>>44937590
Swiftblade was a Gish prestige class that was all about extra effects when casting Haste on yourself. Given sorcerer is all about modifying spells, maybe that would work as a chassis. That said, Speed Bloodline seems a bit too The Flash to me.
The other problem is building an archetype around a spell you don't get until well after you've chosen an archetype.
>>
>>44938027
>I said I'm lazy, not stupid. A single class for $5.00 is hideously overpriced.
Fair enough.

Also, congrats to you, and congrats to Wizards for finding a moneymaking scheme that actually seems to... work out quite well, really.
>>44928694
I like to think the book has more than that, but probably not.
>>
>>44935874
Brick joke. Is when you throw plot hook at players and players run away. So you smash players heads in with brick. Is funny.
>>
>planning a raid on a dwarven fortress
>we don't know shit about it other than communist dwarves guard it
>Barbarian summons a pack of rats
>"I can control the rats and I can also see through their eyes with Beast sense, yes?"
>DM says yes
>Later realizes that cannot be since both abilities require concentration
>"well, I already gave you the approval so let's move on"
>Player takes like 1 hour and half of gameplay scouting the cave like fortress
>meanwhile everyone is fucking bored since nobody can participate on that shit
>and we still haven't planned how to enter the damn place without alerting the entire dwarven USSR
>finished the session, without any fight since the Barbarian boring scouting took 80% off our available roleplay time

I know it's important to scout ahead and all but this took so fucking long. I don't know what the eff was the DM thinking.
>>
I have a problem involving my players. I have 3 munchkins in my group and they kill everything around their level almost instantly. They seriously 1-rounded a beholder at level 9, but the useless sorcerer with only fire spells died. I've actually had to resort to using CR 15 monsters while they just hit level 10. How the fuck do I fix this? Otherwise they just kill everything in one turn or less, and I have a Paladin dealing obscene amounts of damage because he is a soul-bonded paladin with an elephant for a mount from it.
>>
>>44938179
INT and WIS used to refer primarily to book learning and intuition, then sometime about mid-2e CHA came to mean force of will. Basically, you could have an idiot (Low WIS, and INT) who could orate and get everybody to say commit genocide (High CHA), while the genius wizard could be a weak willed geek.
>>
>>44936686
Succeeding a little more often at 1 grapple attempt is not as good as being able to make multiple grapple attempts. Valor Bard is probably the best grappler. After that it's a toss up between the fighter with extra attacks and heavy armor and barbarian with advantage and damage resistance.
>>
So how many of you are going to run Curse of Strahd and ask your party "What is a man?"
>>
I'm not going to even try to tag all of the anons arguing about spellcasting abilities, because there are just too many of you. But Christ are you an unimaginative bunch.

Each ability score is not discretely the same thing to all classes. How they're used and what they're used for are different things.

> Wis casters
Druids and Rangers' spellcasting ability is indicative of natural awareness: instinctive/primeval in the former case and the result of extensive woodcraft experience in the latter. Clerics gain their power from prayer and meditation and reflection, whether inward or to a divine presence.

> Cha casters
Charisma isn't just persuasiveness or performance, but bards and warlocks speak for themselves: bards draw power by performing, while warlocks who are better with words get better toys from their masters. Paladins' spellcasting ability is reflective of their extreme presence: the shinier the armor, the greater the knight.
Sorcerers are similar to paladins in this sense, their Charisma ability being an abstraction of their ability to project their internal power.

You're all dicks. Stop assuming that nuance isn't a thing.
>>
I am really enjoying my Lawful Neutral Helm Paladin.

However, starting at level 1 one sucks, you are just a slightly worse fighter for awhile.
Level 3 can't come soon enough.
>>
>>44938755
>Want to play whater class hopefully gets Knight of the Raven.
>Tempt DM with confronting Strahd by saying, "die monster, you don't belong in this world".
>Character uses whip and throws daggers.
>>
>>44938731
2e PHB.

>Charisma
>The Charisma (Cha) score measures a character's persuasiveness, personal magnetism, and ability to lead. It is not a reflection of physical attractiveness, although attractiveness certainly plays a role. It is important to all characters, but especially to those who must deal with nonplayer characters (NPCs), mercenary hirelings, retainers, and intelligent monsters. It dictates the total number of henchmen a character can retain and affects the loyalty of henchmen, hirelings, and retainers.

I think what has changed is how soon ability scores have an impact.
Charisma used to not give you a penalty unless you were at 7 or below, which was understandable, that meant you were a couple standard deviations away from the normal human.
Likewise having a high charisma just made it so you had a better first impression on people, until you got to 14 or higher, in which case you could enlist more followers than a standard hero.

The way 3e altered ability scores so that every score was related to a modifier, both made the individual scores far less important, and made the difference from 10 far more important.
Suddenly as soon as you hit 12, you were strong willed compared to everyone else!
While as soon as you hit 8 you were a weak willed dullard compared to everyone else.
>>
>>44938722
Design better encounters. Learn their characters; what spells / abilities they have and don't have, fears, tendencies.
Don't get into an arms race against your players, get creative.
>>
So I haven't played DnD since 3.5, but I've been invited to a group. We already have four players (A Ranger with a wolf and two weapons, a quiet barbarian, a selfish rogue, and a draconic sorcerer), so I was thinking a support caster. I don't really do deities, so I was wondering if a bard was any good these days? We're doing 'standard point buy' and we're level 4.
>>
>>44938722
>I have a Paladin dealing obscene amounts of damage because he is a soul-bonded paladin with an elephant for a mount from it.
What?

Try telling us about the PCs. Classes, encounters per long rest, any magic items, shitty homebrew rules or blatant misunderstandings?
>>
>>44938875
Yes, bards are good now. They get spells like a full spellcaster and some good features on top of that.
>>
>>44938848
I meant in popular perception anon. CHA was always the Hitler stat.
>>
>>44938884
I have re-read what he is doing. Paladin is breaking quite a few rules, and I also realized that the source material is a 3.5 splat that looks suspiciously like a 5e book.

The other guys that are doing the munchkining are a Monk and Barb. The barb is just min/maxing, and he got legitimate god rolls for stats. I watched him and he got three 18s. The monk is just abusing his monkish powers for the sake of not wanting to do actual work. Will not get in melee if he can't get advantage and such. Using the shadow monks abilities for getting behind enemies and clocking them in the face. All three of these players are probably going to die due to puzzle boss though.
>>
>>44938722
just throw deadly encounters at them all the time

it's what my gm does and we're all alive
>>
>>44938628
No, the Lexithurge is explicitly a single class, since the author has it as a part of his $20 "class pack" with nine other classes. If bought individually, seven of the classes cost $2, two cost $5, and one costs $1. So, if you buy the class pack, you save five whole dollars!

The fact that he's gradating the pricing that carefully and offering a "bargain" combo pack reeks of monetization over design. There's no indication that you'd be getting even close to your money's worth, and, while I'm usually willing to risk that at low enough amounts, I really don't want to reinforce that kind of behavior.
>>
releasing content for free is the true path
>>
Old editions were Eric though, especially str

Thanks to str 18/1-100, the stat mods scaled at something bizarre like:

3 -2
7 -1
13 +1
17 +2
18 +3
18 +4
18 +5

Bizarre
>>
>>44939005
>the source material is a 3.5 splat that looks suspiciously like a 5e book.
Oh, man, do we have our first story of someone bringing in DMsG material without running it past the DM and fucking up the game as a result?
>>
>>44939040
PWYW is superior to releasing for free. People can get it for free, but they also have the option of supporting releases if they choose.
>>
>>44939042

>Eric

Fuck typing on a phone
>>
>>44938717
He was probably thinking "shit, this guy is gonna hate me if I just put an end to this all suddenly."
>>
>>44939005
>rolling for stats

Game was over before it started
>>
>>44939028
Ye, reread it. For shame.
>>
>>44939049
More like first story of me not paying attention to what I was reading. Almost feel like he was waiting for a day when I had no sleep to bring this in.

>>44939090
Point buy sucks.
>>
>>44939116
>Point buy sucks.

No, rolling sucks. You know who doesn't have to say "one of my group's characters is so OP that it's becoming a problem"? People that use point buy.

Take off your nostalgia goggles and realize you're literally creating your own problems out of stubbornness.
>>
>>44939140
You know what games don't ever have classes with MAD? Point-buy games. Know what slows down character creations? Point buy. Know what can make a player absolutely ineffective unless it is in a combat role or vice versa? Point buy.
>>
>>44939140

I feel like 3e was balanced around rolling for stats; everyone would always roll shitty stats and the spellcasters wouldn't die so they were stuck with 14 int forever, meanwhile the fighter kept dying until he rolled 18 in every stat and played a monk and OMG MONKS ARE AMAZING better need them a bit before release
>>
>>44939005
>Using the shadow monks abilities for getting behind enemies and clocking them in the face.
Any other tactics that he uses? I'm building an encounter based around an NPC villain that does similar things and is also a "Shadow Monk"
>>
>>44939042
Most of the stats, for most player purposes, could be described as +1 to +4 for stats of 15 through 18. Then strength comes along and it's +1 damage at 16. +1 to hit and damage at 17. + 1 to hit and +2 damage at 18. And a whole fucking chart entirely dedicated to exceptional 18 strength, ranging from +1 hit +3 damage to a max of +3 hit and +6 damage. Then I think 19 Str was +3 to hit + 7 damage.
>>
>>44939165
>You know what games don't ever have classes with MAD? Point-buy games.
Sure, that could be a valid correlation. It's probably completely wrong - as far as I can remember, every point-buy-as-core game I've read has been classless and fully MAD - and it certainly isn't causation. So that's a problem with the system in question, not with point buy as a mechanic.
>Know what slows down character creations? Point buy.
Uh, no, that'd be people who can't grok basic math. Those same people who slow down regular play not being able to work out that their roll of 14 plus bonus of 5 is 19 any quicker than they could by counting up from one on their fingers. Problem with the player, not with point buy.
>Know what can make a player absolutely ineffective unless it is in a combat role or vice versa? Point buy.
That's the player's choice not to make a balanced character, again, not a problem with point buy.

I can stat up a character with 5e's point buy off the top of my head in about a minute. It's 1:1 until your bonus hits +2, then 2:1. If you're allowing scores over 15, you'd write it as "the new ability score bonus (minimum 1) per point in that ability." Alternately, they even provide a nice table for you showing the cost from 8 to that score, so you don't even have to count.
The array [15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8] also exists in the PHB and is faster than rolling while serving to eliminate in-party balance issues or bad luck characters.

If you can do basic math to simple instructions or memorize six numbers, point buy is guaranteed to be faster than rolling simply by dint of not having to physically roll dice. If you just want to roll dice, that's fine, but don't blame the system for your own shortcomings otherwise. And, assuming you're the same person that kicked all this off, you're blaming randomization for in-party imbalance, which is probably the only thing you could do dumber than making that gorgeous trifecta of farcical correlations.

Im 2000/2000 characters mad
>>
I'm trying to build a no-armor fighter/Barbarian with either dual weild or sword and board with a viking feel, fighter dip to get dem dere combat style and second wind

Should I go barb>Fighter for muh HP, or fighter barb for more gear?

Only problem being I rolled high for my top two stats but everything else is 12. I can get dex 18 and con 16 but then I'm stuck with gay finesse weapons or else throw away +3 to hit/damage. Why are there no cool finesse weapons? Why aren't spears finesse? Aaaaargh
>>
>>44939165
>Know what can make a player absolutely ineffective unless it is in a combat role or vice versa? Point buy.

No, that's retarded. Nobody is forcing you to allocate your points retardedly, nor are ability scores the end-all of skills (proficiency bonus is just as, or more, important).

Know what CAN make a player absolutely ineffective relative to another player regardless of build? Rolling. And hey, guess what happened in your game?
>>
File: 1264948761516.png (10KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
1264948761516.png
10KB, 429x410px
does anyone know where that anon's google docs link for people to avoid on Roll20 went? I think I need that cuz I'm starting up a 5e game and tons are applying for it.
>>
/5eg/ I made the mistake of rolling a fighter and it really sucks. Whats a good way to retire my character?
>>
>>44940409

you could multi class into an EK
>>
>>44940409
What mistake was that?

In what way does it suck? Not good enough in combat? Not fun to play?
>>
>>44940409
Swallow your weapon.
>>
Does a Rust monster have to hit with it's antennae? Or does it just rust what it sees.

Also, is that a separate action, in that it can attack OR do the rusting?
>>
>>44940651
If you hit the rust monster with a metal weapon it starts corroding, and if the rust monster uses its action to use its antennae they cause rusting. The target rolls a Dex save vs. the antennae instead of the rust monster rolling to hit.
>>
>>44938433
>Monk needs to get a proper spell list/spell level table
Yes, because fuck variety.
>>
>>44938433
>Warlocks could gain new traits depending on their patron as they level up.
These are called archetype features, Anon. They're in the PHB.
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.