[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Realism has no place in rpg and should die.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

File: realism-in-education-1-728.jpg (99KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
realism-in-education-1-728.jpg
99KB, 728x546px
Realism has no place in rpg and should die.
>>
>>44918349
Go fuck yourself
>>
I'm going to save everyone a lot of time and say verisimilitude
>>
OP has no place in rpg and should die.
>>
>>44918349
Depends on the Setting.
>>
>>44918362
/thread

You can do a game as absurd or down to earth as you like, but what really matters is a consistency of tone.

>>44918349
>What is gothic low fantasy
>>
Just means you're lazy and love explaining the world with *MAGIC* instead of actually doing some preparation and putting some effort in the shit you're trying to create.
>>
>>44918349

However, due to gamist tendencies in rpgs being quite strong, Realism gets a couple of saving throws to avoid death.
>>
>>44918349
>The "realism" is not centered properly
Fuck, that triggers me autism.
>>
But dont games without enough realism feel lazy and somehow pointless? If the game lacks rules or structure, it just feels useless to play it. I like it when I have to think a lot about what I am doing and when I achieve something that was hard to achieve, its just so rewarding when you do everything right.
Realism is simply the best system out there, the biggest and most tested one at least.

Without realism, games are either too easy and pointless, or do not make much sense/full of loopholes or paradoxes or I dont know.
>>
>>44918620
the word you are looking for is verisimilitude
>>
>>44918349
Agreed, what you want is constancy
>>
Depends on how far the realism's gone. Having some realism such as bleeding wounds in a game can make it more immersive and gritty, bit if the DM is charting up complex rules for weapons against armor, and where magic comes from and whether or not the sudden addition of matter causes air to violently push from the spell, you're playing with the wrong guy.

At the end of the day, the game should be fueled by common sence and fun.
>>
>>44918349
Say it after me

"It depends on the setting"
>>
>>44918349
RPGs should have as little or as much realism as the creators intended.

TTRPGs should have as much as the players are happy with and the DM can appropriately apply.

Personally, I like the laws of physics to remain pretty consistent. Makes it easier for me to get my head in the game and plan things as well as allowing for interesting results.

Like allowing a bag of flour, a bellows and a torch to create an effective weapon.
>>
I disagree.
>>
>>44918349
>Fun has no place at my table

FTFY
>>
>>44918349
I don't care about realism as much as I care about suspension of disbelief

I don't want you to explain the basics of magic and how it works in a scientifically accurate depiction of how it affects the world and can be used by mages

But if you say shit like "lol it's magic i ain't gonna explain shit" you're on my shitlist immediately
>>
>>44921309
well memed my ebin bro

over 9000 upvotes for this ebin lel
>>
>>44918349
Fuck you mate. Realism is by far the best form of internal consistency. If you lack realism, the players don't have the ability to predict what will come of their actions and everything becomes a mess. You rob them of initiative if you remove realism.
>>
>>44918362
>>44918421
These guys know what's up.
>>
>>44918528
>You can do a game as absurd or down to earth as you like, but what really matters is a consistency of tone.
Which is why almost all variations of D&D sucks ass, because it loves its reality breaking wizards, while keeping everything else realistic.
>>
>>44918620
>Realism is simply the best system out there, the biggest and most tested one at least.
It is also the worst.

I'd take even FATAL any day of the week. Except maybe Friday and Saturday.
>>
>>44921753
Memes can still true shitposter-san
>>
>>44921778
I don't think you know what internal consistency is, because it doesn't come in forms.
>>
You sound like the opposite of the dude who started a 400 reply thread railing on the fall damage rules in D&D because they are "unrealistic".
>>
File: 6645780_orig (1).jpg (98KB, 539x286px) Image search: [Google]
6645780_orig (1).jpg
98KB, 539x286px
>>44921811
>while keeping everything else realistic

A high level fighter can march through lava.
>>
>>44921877
A high level fighter with a certain stance is immune to fire. This means a fighter can stand a certain way and take absolutely no damage from standing on the sun.
>>
>>44921861
Anon, that's like saying all math follows the same axioms
>>
>>44921917
Them gravities, son.
No fighter stance I know protects you from the weight of a billion terra's.
>>
>>44921972
Well still the point stands that holding yourself a certain way in the real world would not protect you from napalm.

People arguing for realism in only certain aspects of a fantasy world are reaching for the wrong goal. They need to make their own "100% realistic" system instead of complaining about other systems.
>>
>>44918362
>I'm going to save everyone a lot of time
if only it were that simple on this board
>>
File: spidey_pointmade2.jpg (31KB, 282x200px) Image search: [Google]
spidey_pointmade2.jpg
31KB, 282x200px
>>44918349
>>
>>44918362
verisimilitude?
>>
File: 1453253387420.jpg (25KB, 480x433px) Image search: [Google]
1453253387420.jpg
25KB, 480x433px
>>44922370
You are on the damn computer. Instead of typing that in the text box and doing a captcha, you could have typed it into the address bar an pressed enter, and Google would give you the definition.
You somehow put more work into being lazy than me.
>>
>>44918349
As a poet once said, "Because I don't have enough talent, I depend upon reality."

Making a world isn't too far a cry from writing a poem or a story. Everything that you can imagine or create is somehow based on what you've seen or can visualize somehow, and an RPG world is going to be based off of various cultures and settings. You can't avoid trying to make things somewhat realistic, if everything is based at least loosely in reality and follows an internal logic.
>>
>>44921937
That's like saying it's even possible for all math to follow the same axioms
>>
>>44921937
Please show me two axioms that contravene each other.
>>
>>44922573
The field of numbers used is an axiom anon.
>>
>>44918349
I think it's useful to have realism or at least plausibility as a default to use as a reference point, so I know pretty much what I'm doing when I deliberately bend, warp, or break it.
>>
>>44921972
>gravity
IRON HEART SURGE
>>
Roll 1d20 for disapproval
>>
>>44922573
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del%27s_incompleteness_theorems
>>
>>44918349

Only a Sith deals in absolutes you fag.
>>
>>44921811
>because it loves its reality breaking wizards, while keeping everything else realistic.
by your logic god dont exist on real life, since it would defy science

actually you are a deeper level of atheism that not only think all gods he ever heard about or can think about are fake, but even the ones he can think about.
>>
>>44924480
This post is the highest level of autism achieveable.

We have transcended humanity here.
>>
>>44924542
>This post is the highest level of autism achieveable.

you are the one that said making everything realistic is incompatible with magic.

by that logic god wouldnt be able to exist, any of them, since at least one thing of them would 'defy science'
>>
>>44921826
Agreed

Real Life is the worst RPG I've ever played
>>
File: UNKNOWN POSITION.jpg (56KB, 972x547px) Image search: [Google]
UNKNOWN POSITION.jpg
56KB, 972x547px
>>44918349
Does anyone know if there's a splatbook with stats for Realism? I'm about to run a campaign where the players defeat it and become the new kings of roleplaying. It'd be nice to not have to make up stats on my own!
>>
File: autism level.jpg (5KB, 255x112px) Image search: [Google]
autism level.jpg
5KB, 255x112px
>>44924829
>>
Shit OP how do you run your games without the fairly realistic concept of existence? Or Light, or gravity, or Space, or Time?
You, OP are a moron and I just bit your bait
>>
>>44924829
...I don't think you know what you're talking about.
Internal consistency allows for magical situations if magic is part of the setting.
Magic as a tool of gameplay causes issues in Dungeons and Dragons because the way the Dungeons and Dragons usually works doesn't take into account the ramifications of having magic on the scale that the gameplay allows for. This breaks immersion, because it's not a realistic portrayal of the existence the game's rules would imply occurs.
>>
>>44926824
What ramifications?
>>
>>44926917
Okay, let me put it like this.
Look at the Wish spell. Wouldn't it make sense that someone would have exploited its existence to warp the world into their desires, or at least gather great wealth for themselves?
Things like Create Food and Water would be in high demand- most towns would probably try to find a way to mass-produce scrolls of that sort.
With all the things magic can do, why hasn't it seen far greater use outside of the titular dungeons? The ideal society would consist of spellcasters empowering one another and every group focusing on developing new spells.
It's things like that that make people scratch their heads.
>>
>>44918362
I actually tend to prefer "internal consistency," since that's often what people are complaining about when they say that a fantasy work "isn't realistic"
>>
Realism doesn't have to be in every game, but logic does. Example
>I'll run faster if my legs are chainsaws!

Want to hear this story of awful logic?
>>
File: 1453325368133s.jpg (209KB, 756x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1453325368133s.jpg
209KB, 756x1100px
>>
>>44927040
The fact that people are limited in spell castings per day does mean that things like create food are not that much of a problem and I think its implied in most settings that anyone above lv5 is far beyond an average person so these spells wouldn't be widespread
>>
>>44927307
Here's the thing, as soon as one guy makes the cut, what's to stop him from 'uplifting' his companions?
One wizard starts up an academy for noble twats to line his pockets, and suddenly we go from one Level 5 spellcaster to him plus twenty or so Level 1s.
Assuming the first guy got to Level 5 himself, they might try to turn a profit the same way.
Say only two of the new students make it to Level 5 from that point, the rest either bitch out or die.
Even if only one of them decides to open a new school, imagine how many people would pay to learn to do magic if it means they can protect themselves and don't have to rely on guards?
Obviously I'm overthinking these things, but magic is extremely valuable. Even being able to cure one poison or cast one spell of 1d8 healing is as good or better in a pinch than years of medical experience.
>>
>>44927477
Yea I see what you mean If I was making a setting I suppose I would need to write in some fluff about overuse of magic being bad like all spells draw from a global mana pool or something like that to stop magic being an obvious solution for mundane problems
>>
Magic that does not require giant-ass reactors sucking out life energy from the universe is too easy.
>>
>>44928236
Honestly that seems a bit too easy in itself, once the infrastructure is in place it's not a problem for any mage in particular. I think if magic is going to demand sacrifice then sorcerers should have to personally bloody their hands if they want to get ahead.
>>
>>44929181
What can I say, I like getting infrastructures in place that make things easier from then on.
At least until resources run out.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.