[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the maximum size of sword you would allow a player

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 309
Thread images: 46

File: swordsize.jpg (127KB, 909x600px) Image search: [Google]
swordsize.jpg
127KB, 909x600px
What's the maximum size of sword you would allow a player to wield in your setting?
>>
>>44791839

Four if it's just a sword. If there's magic involved, then whatever.
>>
>>44791863
This. Or if it's a super hero or more cinematic game, whatever their strength allows.
>>
>>44791839
If the size of the sword matters for damage purposes: whatever they can justify with rules.

If the size of the sword is cosmetic, then whatever the fuck they want.
>>
>>44791863
I mean, real people wielded swords that large historically. It was uncommon, but existed.

I'd personally stop at 6.
>>
I'd say 3 unless there's magic or a damn good reason.
Otherwise theres going to be a -tohit, like a half-ling trying to wield a great-sword.

Anything higher than a 5 and the player is going to have to adequately describe the logistics of carrying the damn thing around.
>>
Sky's the fucking limit.
>>
>>44791839
The players are not in my setting. Ergo, they cannot wield any sword in it.

The PCs, on the other hand, are welcome to wield up to 5 or 6. A superhuman strength score might convince me to allow 9 however.
>>
>>44791839

Depends on the setting

Some settings have 1 sized swords

Others you have to shorten the number because their too many zeros to write it out

It's all for fun so do what you want
>>
>>44791839
As a DM in general I'm largely cool with whatever (though for personal characters I'd stop at about 7 at max).
In "my setting" though I might have to stop you at about 2 because bronze age metallurgy and shit.
>>
>>44791839
That's a female, so we could say she's about 5'4.
The largest zweihander I am aware of is about 2m long - 6'5. That corresponds to 6, but would have had a much smaller blade, and was only for ceremony.
I'd assume that maybe a very large, muscular soldier could use such a weapon in battle, so I'd say 6 is the limit if it were built like 3 or 4.
If magic is involved, that could all change.
>>
4 seems a good stop for anything that's not basically one-of-a-kind (moreso than any well-made sword is). You see that kind of size in historical use. 5 & 6 you might see in as artisan masterpieces, displaying control of the form, and in fantasy I suppose someone (especially a notably large and strong someone) could wield one, particularly a 5. 7 and above get increasingly "downright silly" for a human-sized bearer. Even with super-strength they're downright awkward. So call it 5, maybe 6 under most conditions.
>>
>>44791839
6 with max strength, and it would be uncommon to see.

4 would be much more average for large and heavy blades.
>>
>>44791839
3 for special cases.
>>
File: Giant sword.jpg (23KB, 395x296px) Image search: [Google]
Giant sword.jpg
23KB, 395x296px
Didn't an actual dude use a 6 sized sword?
>>
>>44791839
Up to 3 tons if they can explain how it was manufactured with 13th century technology.
>>
>>44792329

Those were not for real fighting. They were one use weapons. One swing, then you dropped them and took out normal sword.

And they were used only against pike formations.
>>
File: 634987.png (120KB, 698x800px) Image search: [Google]
634987.png
120KB, 698x800px
I love big dumb swords and other giant weapons (Not too long ago I had a player who wanted to wield a ship's anchor), so I tend to be rather permissive if a player wants one.

Even so, I do have a ceiling for weapon size. No matter what, no matter how high your strength score might be, your weapon can't weigh more than you do. It's because at that point, you're not really swinging it, it is swinging you.
>>
>>44792412
>Not too long ago I had a player who wanted to wield a ship's anchor

So he wanted to be Ward from FF8?
>>
>>44791839
In my current game, 3 unless the sword is enchanted to be easier to use or the PC has enhanced strength. In a game I'm planning, 4 and for the same reasons but that's because it's inspired by Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star. The others are just too damn big.
>>
>>44791839
Zero or less, swords of full size are not allowed in my setting. All weapons must be 30cm or less.
>>
i allow no smaller than 4
>>
>>44791976
Go fuck yourself pretentious faggot, you know what OP meant
>>
>>44791839
he sword too big for he gotdang head
>>
>>44792374
You're right in that those aren't real weapons in that image, but everything else you said is complete bullshit. Large, five to six foot long two handed swords existed and were used in combat both in pike formations and in out of formation. Also, the ones meant for combat weren't actually all that heavy.

The two large ones in that pic, and the largest two handed swords that exist, were Bearing Swords, meant to be held on Parade or in dress uniform. The mythical Grutte Pier's sword, which comes from a date much later than his death, is probably a bearing sword that has his name attached for whatever reason.
>>
File: 1742220-huanggai.jpg (152KB, 561x800px) Image search: [Google]
1742220-huanggai.jpg
152KB, 561x800px
>>44792458
I think he was going more of a Huang Gai route, though several degrees less ridiculous.
>>
>>44792697
that's some epic bait right there
>>
>>44791839
2 for one hand, 4 for two hands, 6 if you can sell me on it. If we're doing an anime campaign, supers campaign, or other campaign where we're no longer pretending physics, then it goes up to 11.
>>
>>44791839
Six is the maximum, although if they can justify how they can even lift it, I'll let them swing nine for laughs.
>>
>>44791839
In my game PCs can achieve strenght beyond the limit for their size (rules-wise, physical parameters are minimum and maximum values depending on size), and achieve a physical strenght superior to a troll or minotaur's. Such characters may, through specific feats, use fucking huge swords, something around 7 in this chart and weighing more than 20 kg. As for others, a character with moderately high (but still mundane) strength may use zweihander-sized swords, which are perhaps longer than 4 (depending on how tall is the size-reference girl in the chart) but thinner and weighing around 10 kg. Of course we're talking about very strong characters, for human standards.
>>
>>44791839
6 or 7 if there are either a light but durable as fuck materials, or really strong races.

4-5 in normalish setting, 5 would be unwieldy.

If it is lightheaded and/or high fantasy/superhero game - I would let players crank it up to 11.
>>
>>44791950
His name is Cloud, not sky
And it's Limit break
>>

At size 5 the sword drags on the ground which is a big no no
>>
Up to three or four.
Anything longer (or broader) is ridiculous and will come with massive penalties for wielding.
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 422x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 422x640px
>>44791918
>real people wielded swords that large historically
>I'd personally stop at 6

Are you saying that people historically used swords as big as 6? If so, you are utterly incorrect. That's pure animu-tier.
>>
>>44792972
There was a Huge ass fucking Zweihander wielded by a Merc, so he is correct. The Zweihander was bigger than a person.
>>
>>44793020
You are talking about Grutte Pier. See >>44792632
>>
>>44793020
I bet you also think sir Lancelot was real
>>
>>44792972
He clearly meant 4 though, is historical, you idiot. Can you even read?
>>
>>44792972

Swords weren't made in that shape for that size, and six foot long swords existed and were used in combat. Most swords of that length only actually made it to around 12 pounds, IIRC.

So none of that "animu-tier bullshit" about swords weighing 100+ kgs. Swords meant to be used with two hands historically tend to weigh -less- than one handed swords in fantasy.
>>
>>44793020
It wasn't as thick as a torso. In fact it was quite narrow. 6 is still ridiculous.
>>
>>44793065
Most legends are based on real characters to some extent. Lancelot is are real as Gilgamesh or Jesus.
>>
>>44792374
Why would anyone make a fuckhuge sword only to swing it once?

>>44793101
So historical actual people whose deeds were massively exaggerated?
>>
4 at most if we're shooting for semi-hard realism, if we're just having fun then I don't care.

Didn't someone do the math and figure out that Cloud couldn't actually swing the Buster Sword because his boots wouldn't have enough friction with the ground to resist the force of the swing?
>>
>>44793120
>Why would anyone make a fuckhuge sword only to swing it once?
Because it's too large and unwieldy to be used for anything more than alpha striking.
>>
>>44793120
>So historical actual people whose deeds were massively exaggerated?
Exactly.
>>
>>44793120
>So historical actual people whose deeds were massively exaggerated?
Well, no, not even that. Jesus and Gilgamesh were recorded well enough to prove that they existed and had strong influence on their communities, but Arthurian times had shit-tier records and there's not even any hard proof any king named Arthur or similar existed, much less any of his knights. Just a bunch of legends that are probably based on something.
>>
File: comic212s.png (382KB, 650x1588px) Image search: [Google]
comic212s.png
382KB, 650x1588px
>>44793143
>Didn't someone do the math and figure out that Cloud couldn't actually swing the Buster Sword because his boots wouldn't have enough friction with the ground to resist the force of the swing?

Did they take Mako into account?
>>
>>44793171
If you want to alpha strike, you get a crossbow, or javelin, or throwing club, or or pistol, whatever that will outrange even an infantry pike.

The really large fighting swords where to keep a lot of people away from you with large, sweeping swings.

And the really, really large swords weren't for fighting at all. They're for show.

In between, we do not get swords for striking once. That's your lead diet speaking.
>>
>>44793183
The entire Arthurian Cycle is literally fiction, most of it french, and it was never passed off as real and has no known basis in reality. It's just a large collection of ridiculous stories from several different authors about knights who are too stupid and human to live up to their own reputations.
>>
I think there's an argument to be made for fantasy huge swords.

You'd spend a lot of your career fighting monsters larger than you (even monstrous humanoids are often at least a foot taller than humans, not to mention ogres and up having serious reach on them).

You might want the extra reach. Historically that kind of problem never came up.

I don't like super broad swords as I think they would just get stuck in whatever you're chopping but I'm not a sword fag so idk if anything I just said is reasonable.

Traveling adventurers though wouldn't really want huge ass swords to carry around (though I mean even a 6' zweihander probably only weighs 7 or 8 pounds, it's just unwieldy).

Idk I need to look into huge swords historically.
>>
>>44792329
>>44792374
>Those were not for real fighting. They were one use weapons. One swing, then you dropped them and took out normal sword.

Where do you people come up with this BULLSHIT?

No, they did not exist.

There are large swords in Europe - 6 foot or more. they are PARADE swords. Ceremonial swords, carried during the parades of the feast days of saints, through city streets at the front of the crowd. The practice fell out of favour in northern Europe with the rise of protestantism.
There are also large swords in japan, votive offering Odachi, which were made for deposition in shrines, which were often very long.

neither were used on the battlefield

They were not used for "one swing and dropped". How fucking idiotic do you have to be to come up with this shit?
>>
File: image.png (480KB, 960x622px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
480KB, 960x622px
>>44791839
I would allow four, but even that is pushing it a little bit for a blade that thick.
>>
>>44791839
>>
File: turn it up to 11.jpg (19KB, 258x300px) Image search: [Google]
turn it up to 11.jpg
19KB, 258x300px
>>44791839
>>
>>44791839
4. 4 is about as big as could actually be used.
If you took 3 and made it the same length as 6 maybe that would be okay.
You can't just go by length for a weapon, but total mass, and how it is used.
5 and 6 would be fine as a stabbing weapon or like zweihanders actually were used as, for sweeping away polearms. Their shape however makes them more like giant knives, and trying to go all choppy with something that big is dumb.
7 and above is just retarded. you would tip over trying to hold them forward, regardless of strength.
>>
>>44794014
>7 and above is just retarded. you would tip over trying to hold them forward, regardless of strength.

What about putting armor into the consideration?
>>
There were swords out there that pushed 6-7 feet for various applications, the longest in the East being fuckhuge anti-cavalry swords meant to hit guys on horseback or just slice the horses something fierce.

Their more practical Western cousins were the zweihanders and similar super-sized longswords which were used as a sort of part-sword, part-polearm weapon and I think they were one of the signature weapons of the doppelsoldners.

Personally that's as long as I could let a sword I expect the PCs to use be. Want something longer? That's a polearm full stop, not a sword.
>>
>>44793328
The earliest Arthur stories appear in historical works, many lacking mythological elements beyond there once being a cool guy who killed a lot of Saxons. One of our most complete stories, from Geoffrey of Monmouth, was written as part of a history. He claimed his source was a prior history, but since no record of that existed and his supposedly translated ancient British book talks a hell of a lot about knights, Norman and French Nobility, and the Roman Empire, he probably made it up with an eye to Norman sensibilities.

Even if the actual stories are fictional, people once took them as legitimate history.
>>
>>44791839
>Scale only goes to 9.

My setting has weapons that gods and heroes once used as orbital re-entry weapons. Sooner or later, someone's gonna figure out how to use one. Maybe it'll only be for a single swing, but that definitely falls into the realm of "wielding."
>>
>>44794140

What's the armor doing, reinforcing your ability to hold up the sword the way tilting armor had a thing to help knights in tournaments couch lances?

If so, wow, that's fortuitous armor design built for a really weird overspecialization and if not, yeah, no, armor does not help. If anything it'd just mean more weight your arms or body are trying to hold up plus the weight of the sword, making the weapon even more unwieldy.

I suppose you could try counterbalancing the weight of the blade with a long hammer and a really heavy pommel, but why would you bother? It'd still be awkward as fuck.
>>
>>44794140
I suppose if you had some lead boots or something. Remember though, the higher your center of gravity the more prone to tipping you are. So you would have to have like super heavily armoured legs, and maybe a jerking for your torso.
>>
>>44791839
No limits. You merely need enough strength to wield the blade effectively, and heroic mortals certainly have the capacity to acquire enough of that. And at the same time ignore such pesky things as mass, inertia and conservation of momentum.

Unless you are running a low-fantasy setting instead. That's when you start imposing hard limits on characters, but you're probably already counting how much the gold coins they carry weight.
>>
>>44794271
I didn't know fedoras had negative weight.
>>
>>44792412
What are those extra handles for?
>>
>>44793366
In super human strength levels I would say that the one using it would need to be heavy to be able to balance it up and use it effectively so I would make them need to use very heavy armor to balance it out. So in the end you get a super strong character using an extra thick armor and swinging an extra big sword.
>>
Take into account how tall everyone is, too. Strength or not, I see handling problems when the blades get really long.
>>
>>44794267
Looks at the guy, he is dislocating his center of mass to balance with the kid he is swinging. If your weight is higher you can balance a bigger sword. Just think about a plastic cup with a long spoon on it. The plastic cup just tips as the center of mass of the cup-spoon is outside of the plastic cup base but if you fill the plastic cup with sand the cup doesn't tip even if the individual center of mass of the spoon and the cup stays the same the center of mass of the system is dislocated in favor of the cup.
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 443x332px
>>44794569
Damn, forgot pic
>>
File: 1399095569735.png (254KB, 480x332px) Image search: [Google]
1399095569735.png
254KB, 480x332px
>>44794363
Is it bad puns time already?
>>
>>44794391
The closer one probably for dual wield while the away one probably for blocking.
>>
File: 1302841416421.jpg (290KB, 1112x748px) Image search: [Google]
1302841416421.jpg
290KB, 1112x748px
>>44791839
>imaginary game
>whatever the character "has" is imaginary
>game functions according to objective rules
>player can imagine whatever he wants, so long as he's adhering to the rules

Here's another example:
>"Are we anime?"
>game is imaginary
>I'm not imagining what you're imagining
>pretend you're anime if you want
>pretend your player character is pretending to be anime, whatever that means
>adhere to objective rules
>a good time is had by all

>this is how I DM (pic related)
>>
>>44791839
>What's the maximum size of sword you would allow a player to wield in your setting?
the limit is it can be bigger than a real sword of similar type, and the caveot is it HAS to be an actual combat-sword, one forged with the intended purpose of being carried into battle and used, so that "god-awful monster of a sword that was only made to show-off what the blacksmith's skill" does not count.
>>
>>44791839
I'm generally not in favor of players bringing edged weapons to the game. Might intimidate others, and generally makes for a worse experience.
>>
>>44794700
>can
meant to read as "can't"
>>
>>44794687
Shit DM would not be stuck in a room with for even a second/10
>>
>>44794391
Assumedly for when you need more control. Zweihanders had much the same thing, a grip slightly up the blade. Precisely controlling a sword that large is almost impossible if you hold from the hilt only.
>>
>>44794754
high praise on this board. I'll take it.
>>
>>44794713
heh
>>
>>44793120
That's basically history, yeah.
A legend says this guy held a bridge against 1000 men.
IRL, no matter how great a fighter you are, you'd get tired WAAAY before then and get wrecked.

Makes for a better story though.
>>
>>44791839
Running Anima, anon. 9's considered a "good start" on HUGE SWORDS.
>>
>>44794860
He died holding that bridge, and he didn't kill that many, he merely scared the shit out of them and died standing up so they thought he wasn't dead.
>>
>>44794860
Maybe he didn't fight them all, just managed to keep them away from crossing it. It is like a guy with a gun can prevent 20 people from leaving a room even if the gun holds only 6 bullets.
>>
4 if on horseback, 3 and 2 two handed, 1 one handed.

I might equip my monsters with larger sizes however. I have an Ogre Magi tonight that will have a magic bow of about size 7 or 8, and a magic greatsword of 8 or 9.
>>
>>44791839
One of the players in my group can freely change the size of his sword to anything from 1 to quadruple 9.
>>
>>44793227
even with magic taken into account, it still wasn't possible, mainly because the sword was apparently pure steel
Look it up on youtube
>>
>>44791839
If the length of the blade is more than shoulder-height, it counts as a polearm for the purpose of game mechanics that check weapon groups, and you need to purchase a special ability to treat it as a sword, but you CAN wield it.
Depending on weight, I might refer to the improvised weapon rules for penalties. It's up to you to judge where you get diminishing returns.
No, I don't doubt your character is strong enough to wield a sharpened helicopter rotor. But logically at least some of the normal techniques for sword fighting require a range of motion that you do not have when the ground is in the way.
When you get more XP, we can talk about oversized weapon training.
>implying I play D&D
>implying I'm not even stricter on spellcasters
>>
>>44795219
Makes sense, I like it. I'm stealing it.
>>
>>44795219
A helicopter rotor would actually make an okay defensive weapon presuming you had the strength and mass to wield it.
I would allow it if the player could give even a rudimentary description of the fighting style using it.
>>
>>44794860
You dont need to be all that impressive to scare motherfuckers for long enough to be counted as ''holding them off''. Especially when its a narrow bridge.

Like, if only 1 dude at a time can really reach him and hes wrecking bitches consistently, who's gonna want to rush him to take the bridge?

As I recall, they had to send a boat under the bridge and stabbed him up through the bridges floorboards.
>>
File: 1252412207214.jpg (91KB, 581x593px) Image search: [Google]
1252412207214.jpg
91KB, 581x593px
>>44791839
No height reference on the human figure. These sword sizes mean nothing except in comparison to each other.

Every other post in this thread is invalid.
>>
File: 1450808857186.png (598KB, 942x848px) Image search: [Google]
1450808857186.png
598KB, 942x848px
>>44795405
>No height reference on the human figure
I'm sorry you're too autistic to realize that the human figure is implied to be the size of an average human.

Also best zwei coming through
>>
Well one of my players splurged on a transformative weapon so really it just depends on the situation. He once made it a size 9 sword so they could cross a gap without rolling for acrobatics.
>>
>>44791839
4 for anything non magical, and higher for magical stuff.

Though past 4, it's less a question of even if "can they use it" and more "how does the handle not snap off?"

Thus, magical.
>>
File: 1374846070703.jpg (74KB, 1280x734px) Image search: [Google]
1374846070703.jpg
74KB, 1280x734px
>>44795463
There is no implication you smarmy fuck.
Average human for what setting? Average for what time? Average male or female? The figure is a silhouette for the most part.

You can go ahead and live your pathetic overcompensating Zwei wielding life on implications inaccuracies and guesses. I prefer actual figures and information.

Good day, peasant.
>>
Whatever the hell my players want, because we're weebs and we love our fightan magic.
>>
>>44795608
Can you adopt a tripcode?

You think and type in a very particular manner, and I would very much like to subscribe to your filtering.
>>
File: 1249268115710.jpg (45KB, 773x600px) Image search: [Google]
1249268115710.jpg
45KB, 773x600px
>>44795644
Never. You will just have to suffer in confused ignorance.
>>
>>44791839
Blade length must be less than or equal to the square of their penis length in inches.
>>
>>44794590

Ideally that shouldn't be much of an issue because most swords, even the really long ones, don't get much heavier than like 15 or so pounds overall, most of that weight distributed so the center of mass makes the sword pleasant to handle, so a fantasy-big sword might push, I'm not sure, 20 or so pounds distributed in such a way that excessive outward force isn't generated with each swing, so if you have to exaggerate your movements, you're not going to be exaggerating them by all that much.

More than that, look at that same picture. The human body has a quite high center of mass standing up, so whatever mass extra armor might have, you get the same net effect from just moving your body to. balance what movements you make.

...or, perhaps, lay into them some more. Sword design is funny like that-some were purposely designed to have more weight further out so the sword could sometimes just smack aside a parrying attempt or rattle a guy in armor something fierce.
>>
>>44795608
And you are being quite the pedant. When presented with a humanoid image against items intended for human use, one might assume the sizes are relative to the wielder. Sword 4, which reaches the top of the head, is therefore "a sword that reaches the top of the head". a 4' sword for a 4' person, or a 6' sword for a 6' person.

MORE probably, the figure in question is liable to be close to the in setting norm. Bigger and smaller people could encounter the same items, but the relative sizes would tend towards the similar because that's how bell curves work.

"lol no units" does not invalidate an entire thread worth of posts -- maybe some people are talking a little cross-purpose, but folks with a normally functioning ability to intuit are going to make similar even if not identical assumptions, providing grounds for discussion.

There's no text saying the human figure isn't a Liliputian, but that would be a pretty strange corner case in context.
>>
File: 1436316889279.gif (2MB, 320x231px) Image search: [Google]
1436316889279.gif
2MB, 320x231px
>>44795608
Oh please. Take two seconds to work it out YOU smarmy fuck. It's clearly a silhouette of a dark skinned, light haired, female in bondage armor. She's most likely a drow, which puts her at like 5'6"

Do the work from there for blade and full length sizes.
>>
>>44795862
>>44796042
Don't respond to trolls.
>>
>>44795332
Battering ram.
>>
>>44791839
It's a fucking board game, who gives a shit if it's unrealistic, as long as the party's having fun.
>>
File: sheats.jpg (177KB, 1467x756px) Image search: [Google]
sheats.jpg
177KB, 1467x756px
>>44791839
No higher than three.
>>
>>44796309
Me on the right
>>
>>44795845
Oh, I'm thinking on the crazier side of things like the one from Berserk
>>
File: 1318349818954.jpg (90KB, 433x650px) Image search: [Google]
1318349818954.jpg
90KB, 433x650px
>>44796042
Haha, ignorant fool. You think the typical female Drow is 5'6"?

I'm not sure what poor bastardized world you come from, but an abnormally short female Drow would be 5'6" where I'm from.

So many plebs working off assumptions in this thread. Fantastic entertainment for me and the rest of the party.

Do continue scurrying about in your murky ignorance, it suits you.
>>
>>44796338

Hmmm...

Well, Guts was a big fella with a lot of muscles and a lot of upper body strength, so he would have a lot of mass to counterbalance his swords with from leaning back and forth with his swings for different effects, like putting more weight behind a swing or balancing so swings couldcome faster.

As heavy as sets of armor are, bear in mind that that weight is distributed over an entire body, and that the lever you're talking about is balanced by the weight that's at the direct end of the lever. Lower body stuff in this case isn't part of that lever, it's part of the fulcrum around which that lever is pivoting.

So I guess what I'm saying in the end is that if a guy is big, strong and massive enough, armor isn't a factor, the real factor is their own mass, training and strength making a weapon wieldable.
>>
>>44795405
Wouldn't a sword, at least those commissioned rather than made en masse for an army or whatever, be designed with scale to the intended wielder in mind rather than objective size per se? This is genuinely a question, I don't into weaponsmithing or whatever.
>>
>>44796652
Generally, yes. And particularly skilled weaponsmiths would probably make alterations and such to the basic design as to suit the wielders combat style, I should imagine.

But its easier to shit on the OP an therefore get to claim a smug sense of superiority over the rest of the thread.
>>
>>44796484
Not if the sword weight as much as himself. His sword is in the absurd side of things. How much it weights? 40kg? 80kg? There is a limit to how much he can compensate with posture
>>
File: 1298473843899.png (364KB, 1000x919px) Image search: [Google]
1298473843899.png
364KB, 1000x919px
What's the minimum number of limbs a swordsman should have?
>>
Somewhere at or between 7 or 8.
>>
>>44796794
Seven.
>>
>>44796794
Zero. The limbless swordsman uses 4 blades as prosthetics.
>>
>>44796794
3. And 2 of those should be legs. Or at the very least they need some damn good replacements or prosthetics.

You need a solid base to swing a sword effectively and lacking such would generally cause you to throw yourself off-balance.

Now, there are 2 exceptions to this. 1) If you fight exclusively mounted. Then all you need to do is be able to maintain your mount. The mount provides your stability. 2) Exceptionally skilled individuals could maybe make 1 leg and 1 arm work with a hell of a lot of practice. Itd be tough and less effective but it could work.
>>
>>44796794
I'm gonna say two and one-half, because cutlass-brandishing peg-legged pirates are cool and iconic enough.
>>
>>44796837
I was gonna say zero and post a snake holding a sword with the tail but I couldn't find a pic.
>>
>>44796861
Having only one arm is a massive inconvenient unless you replace it with a shield "wall" stuck in the stump so you can orient it.
>>
File: 1371154683397.png (600KB, 625x625px) Image search: [Google]
1371154683397.png
600KB, 625x625px
>>44796652
>>44796717
Oh absolutely. No smith worthy of wielding a hammer would make any item specifically commissioned for an individual without taking measurements of that individual. Which is my entire point, we are lacking even the most base of measurements to answer the question posed by the original poster.

This isn't something you would have to be 'particularly skilled' to do, its how you make something fit someone, it is literally step fucking one in making something for someone.

Changed would be made in consideration for the items intended use, especially in the case of weapons.

I never claimed a sense of superiority, fool.
You don't claim something you know you naturally possess, it is displayed naturally by your bearing and actions. Such as your consistent dependence on inaccuracy and assumption. I would love to witness one of your gaming sessions, it would be a masters class on how to remain mediocre and pathetic.

Ta.
>>
>>44796903
They're not swordsmen, though. Firstly, they fight in very closed-quarters where an offhand is basically useless (you can't even pivot for an offhand dagger most of the time), secondly, the ground they fight on is always completely straight, with even rotations throughout the plane as the ship rocks back and forth. Thirdly, they weaken the enemy by canonfire and explicitly don't target well-defended cargo.
>>
File: dororo.jpg (61KB, 435x487px) Image search: [Google]
dororo.jpg
61KB, 435x487px
>>44796837
Dororo?
>>
>>44796769

The point still stands, though, when you've got a weapon that heavy, would you really want to encumber a swordsman any further with weight from armor meant as a counterbalance?

Anyway, this is a topic about length and not overall mass, and to keep it on that topic, grinding out fullers and massive enough pommels and generally balancing a weapon means length comparable to character would be a handling issue, not a "can you lift this thing" issue. Usually.
>>
>>44797018
True. Then again, if yer only wielding a one handed weapon it shouldn't be too detrimental I would imagine.

A shield stump is still probaly a good idea though.

>>44797019
So, wait. You admit that a smithy that was commissioned to make a weapon would make one to fit the wielder yet you claim an image that shows the weapon in scale to be inadequate?

Which is it? Because if scale is the important factor, then simply consider the scale compared to the individual shown. Its really that simple.

And are you really going to claim that every dipshit that calls themselves a ''weaponsmith'' is going to make something that perfectly fits the wielders style of combat?

If so, what about masters of the craft? What distinguishes the goods they produce from the lads who usually make horseshoes but can probably make a sword, in a practical sense?
>>
>>44797075
No arms, no legs, no organs, 100% badass.
>>
>>44797163
Seriously, stop replying to the troll.
What is wrong with you? Do you honestly think he cares about anything except for the (you)'s?

Or, are you just another troll? If that's a case, you guys are genuinely just the worst kind of posters, and I can't imagine how low you have to be to spend your friday evening posting just to get reactions out of each other.
>>
>>44797163
Why don't you have a trip yet?
>>
>>44797129
I was specifically talking about superhuman strength so weight is not an issue, balance is.
>>
>>44797237
Actually, honestly, Im curious. I want to see if this guy actually has an interesting perspective. And come on, its not like any of us are using our time to particular effect here anyway.

>>44797243
Who, me? Am I that recognisable?

Either way, its pretty much because I dont really care enough to throw on a trip. I only chime in rarely and I haven't much by way of resources like hungarian has that assload of arms and armour stuff.
>>
>>44797325
>I am just a troll

Please put on a trip so I can filter your shit.
>>
>>44797325
>Am I that recognisable?
Just get a fucking trip already.
>>
>>44797374
Im not a troll. I want to know if this guy actually has something good to say so I can know if I've been running shit wrong in my games or if I can improve my DMing technique.
>>
>>44797428
f u c k

o f f
>>
>>44791839
Whatever they can swing proficiently.

Or not proficiently. Whatever.
>>
>>44797261

Ah, well, okay, then balance could...be achieved with the same tricks. Actually, even looking at the Dragonslayer, logically due to its shape the center of mass of the blade would be closer to the handle than the tip because there's more metal in the bottom half than the top half, so given a sufficiently strong swordsman a weapon shaped like that is not as unpleasant to handle as it looks because the center of mass isn't as far out as it looks.

Of course, that does nothing for its goofy mass, but at that point you have to reason that fantasy's fantasy and sometimes, the answer to "do you want a gigantic sword or not?" is just "yes" and you want to hold a fantasy RP session, not a prolonged physics experiment.

Though the bounds of realism within reason are demonstrably more forgiving than they look at first glance.
>>
>>44791839
9 is a bit crazy. Even Exalted stops at 6.
>>
>>44791839
Seeing as I try to keep a level of logic, Im gonna say 4 unless the character is a str based melee specialist. Then Id let them push it up to about 5-6 depending on their str.

Beyond that, its dependent on the players ability to justify it I guess?

All this is assuming theres no magic involved of course. Once magic is involved just about anything can be made to make sense.
>>
>>44791839
6, but only because humanity evolved to the point where six feet is short and eight feet is considered taller.
>>
>>44797227
The ultimate swordsman is just a sword.
>>
>>44794860
Several people have held up entire armies at bridges by themselves. The viking at stanford bridge was one and there was some Japanese guy who supposedly died standing up after getting shot full of arrows.
>>
>>44796769
I like that they showed guts training with oversized swords since he was a child.
>>
File: 1417758569254.png (328KB, 960x680px) Image search: [Google]
1417758569254.png
328KB, 960x680px
>>44797626
Exalted is clearly not pushing it to the limit.
>>
>>44798091
What's the strength limit in exalted?
>>
>>44798091
Is that an alatreon armor set?
I'm always wearing gunner gear so I'm not 100% on there.
>>
>>44797626
Your average Grand Daiklave is probably a 7. A 9's a corner case, but given that those things are meant to be used by absurd superhumans who, at their highest levels of power, can heft demon overgods the size of mountains, it's hardly out of reason.
>>
>>44798142
Yes.
>>
>>44798149
It's Gore Magala blademaster gear (for males)
>>
>>44796794
1 arm, and two legs cut off at the knees. It won't be great fighting, but it will be possible.
>>
>>44798241
I mean hard limit. In Hero system the absolute limit in the expanded strength table is 25 billion tons lifting strength.
>>
>>44791839
6 at the absolute largest, and it would give plenty of penalties.
>>
>>44791839
The size of the universe.
>>
>>44791976
Get the fuck out of here faggot
>>
>>44798622
Oh. For solar exalts, the answer stays the same: "Yes"

Anyone else, technically, like 10 dots I guess.
>>
>>44798965
Okay give me a strength table from that system or something because I don't understand.
>>
>>44799116
It's a dot system like WoD.
Above essence 5, you can increase your stats to beyond 5 as well. Goes up to 10, so 10 dots.

However, solar exalts have so many charms and abilities that let them ignore things (plus they had like a 31 dice pool while a dragonblooded could at most maybe get 25 at essence 10) that silly things like "can I lift this temple" do in fact eventually stop being an issue.

So yeah. By like Essence 4, Solars, strength is just "yes"
>>
File: 1417320197812.jpg (169KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1417320197812.jpg
169KB, 1920x1080px
>>44797944
>>
>>44791839
I base my worlds physical limits off of my own. But then again I'm also a freak of nature who can efficiently dual wield 80lb sledge hammers for my demolition job and uses doors bolted to doors as shields in paintball
>>
>>44799336
A table?
>>
>>44798622
We're playing Anima. Weapon size is kind of a non-issue when you need only minimum investment into any of the three/four main supernatural forces to make the weight of your weapon irrelevant, upper limits of strength let you create earthquakes by punching the ground and max strength is rated as having no actual limit (meaning if you can find a surface that won't break under your feet, you can lift literally anything).
>>
>>44799400
You're asking for too much.
As I recall the examples in Exalted were:
STR 1: You can barely lift an 80 pound dog
STR 3: You can lift a 200 pound man
STR 5: You can lift a 450lb donkey

But that doesn't count the Athletics skill, which also can add to this, and Charms, which can literally bypass shit ("I spend 2 motes and throw the car I normally could not budge") or multiply it or whatnot.
>>
>>44799400
No, I think I know how to spell temple and table, anon.
>>
File: muster buster - Copy.png (23KB, 640x554px) Image search: [Google]
muster buster - Copy.png
23KB, 640x554px
>>44791839
Whatever the rulebook says.
>>
File: Oodachi.jpg (41KB, 446x420px) Image search: [Google]
Oodachi.jpg
41KB, 446x420px
>>44791839
4 is a nice size for most sensible settings but I would allow even 9 in epic fantasy (with penalty in close range depending on size).
>>
>>44799400
Not what you're asking, but yes, there is one.

Successes Example Feat
Strength 3+ feats
1 Lift a full-grown man or an anvil. Break a pine board with a kick.
2 Tote a bale of cotton on one shoulder. Kick an oak door open.
3 Lift a mule. Break a sword over your knee.
4 Lift a full-grown warhorse or Bend an iron bar with both hands.
Strength 5+ feats
5Lift an ox. Pull a fully laden wagon. Bend a horseshoe into a pretzel.
6Throw a mule. Snap an axe haft over your knee. Kick an oak door to splinters.
7Lift a boulder. Throw a full-grown warhorse.
8Lift a rhinocerous. Snap iron manacles. Slowly bash through a brick wall.
9Throw an ox. Twist a steel lock off a door with your bare hands. Kick down an iron-shod door.
Strength 7+ feats
10Lift an elephant. Raise a drawbridge by hand. Punch through a brick wall.
11Raise a locked portcullis by hand. Punch through the wooden gate of a fortress.
12Pull a fully laden wagon from a sand trap. Rip iron bars out of their stone settings with one hand.
Rip loose the stone supports of a city gate.
13Lift a boulder with one hand. Tear down the pillars holding up a mighty temple.
14Lift a tyrant lizard. Carry an enormous statue on one shoulder. Tip over a Guild wagon. Push open a
locked and reinforced fortress gate.

Strength 5 is mundane human maximum, as is ten dice/five expected successes (unless you're heavily talented and specialized). Also, the list goes up to 20 successes, but that didn't fit in the 2000 character limit.
>>
File: limbs.png (37KB, 676x268px) Image search: [Google]
limbs.png
37KB, 676x268px
>>
Depends on how strong they are.
>>
>>44799711
Strength 10+ feats
15Uproot a mighty tree and Slowly bash through the stone wall of a fortress.
16Lift a mammoth. Hurl an elephant. Tear apart the welded steel bars of a portcullis.
17Pull an entire caravan, chained cart-to-cart. Snap a mighty tree in half.
18Lift a mighty tree with one hand. Crack a boulder in two. Rip a portcullis from its setting.
19Throw a mammoth. Slowly push over a stone tower. Tow a boat away from a waterfall while on
the shore.
20Tear open the earth to create a crevasse. Smash through ten feet of solid stone. Lift a yeddim or
outpull a team of them. Tow a boat away from a waterfall while swimming.

It's a pretty excessive game, but built into it is the assumption that all the characters are ordinary humans unless they're using their power. Which implies that "ordinary" spectacular athletes can throw horses, but it's a wuxia-ish setting. You should see the rules for jumping distance. Or see the ludicrous stuff that actual people lift.
>>
>>44794713
I have a player that sometimes brings a sword, but he's harmless
>>
>>44791839
I normally stick to high powered fantasy so generally 6, but I could definitely be swayed to allow a 7 if "stupid huge sword" is important to the character image.
>>
>>44799538
>>44799711
>>44799711

All this is ignoring the fact that because the sword in question is almost always an artifact weapon, it's also attuned to the wielder's Essence, which makes the sword much lighter. It doesn't matter if the thing's a thousand pounds, it's not going to feel any heavier than an ordinary two-hander to whoever attunes it.
>>
>>44793396
>There are also large swords in japan, votive offering Odachi, which were made for deposition in shrines, which were often very long.
Thought they were made to show off the blacksmith's skill
>>
>>44800276
Could've been both within reason.

A blacksmith makes it to show off his skill and to leave as an offering to a god of blacksmithing. Like sacrificing your best sheep to a god of agriculture.
>>
File: piergerlofsdonia (2).jpg (64KB, 672x910px) Image search: [Google]
piergerlofsdonia (2).jpg
64KB, 672x910px
>>44793069
eat poop.
http://www.thetallestman.com/piergerlofsdonia.htm
>>44791839
Depends on their strength, the weight of the sword, and their own weight. You can wield anything but it gets cumbersome, slow and easily dodged if you constantly have to hold it to avoid tipping over.

If you are going historic, probably a 6 or 7, but more narrow than those metal paddles you show.
>>
>>44798008
Those are all legends and folktales
>>
>>44795053
>pure steel
do you mean solid?
>>
>>44791839

So is it just me or is anyone else noticing that 8 almost certainly masses as much or more than 9?
>>
>>44792972
#6 really isn't that unreasonable in length assuming the comparison shadow is under 6 foot tall. While they were not a common sight, 6 foot and bigger swords were a thing in combat. Much bigger than 6 foot is getting a bit silly unless you're a giant, and #6 is about four times too thick, but the length is perfectly reasonable.
1-arming/short sword
2-Bastard/hand-and-a-half sword
3-longsword
4-greatsword
5-greatsword
6-really big greatsword
7-okay that's unreasonable
8-what the fuck
9-No you can't use a sword twice as big as you get the fuck out
>>
Length is a minor problem.

I'd allow any at least believably practical length, that is, up to 2 meters, which would be 8 at the picture.

But the real bugger is gir... i mean bulkiness. And general design. I can't stand those bs "fantasy" swords

The 3rd shape is fine, so upscaled versions of this, even to the lentgh of 8, are no problem.

At the other hand i wouldn't allow downscaled versions of anything 5+ on the image, even as one meter one-hander

But i generally avoid being TOO descriptive. A "great sword" is enough in most situations. Let the player's imagine it how they want, I will imagine it my way.
>>
>>44800684
that's a parade sword, or Bearing sword.

there's two identical ones in london, from the 1420's that are recorded in the Armouries records for Henry V under that description.
>>
It depends how they justify it.
I mean, in DnD level 20 characters are ridiculously powerful. So yeah, if a character is high enough of a level and has enough strength I'd let them wield a 9 even. Just as long as as it was gained in the right circumstance. Like, stolen from a giant, and make it a +3 sword. Also have people react accordingly. If you walk through a small town with that on your back you'll be turning heads, disadvantages on some movement skill checks and such (unless they have really high dexterity too).
It'd be fun to balance. increased range at the expense of dexterity or something.
>>
>>44801918
what the hell is wrong with 5, and 6, and 7 scaled down to a 1 handed 1 meter or even less than 1 meter length, 6, and 7 are very similiar to broad sword/gladius design with a large flat blade, and 5 is somewhat scimitar like, granted there is some liberty taken but not enough to go NO NOT EVER..
>>
>>44791839
More a human-sized medium creature,5 or 6, you need to be able to carry the weapon without it dragging.

Though we tend to follow the Monster Hunter Greatsword/Longsword for maximum sizes. If its too close too one of those they need to justify it.
>>
What's that one enchantment that lets your weapon transform into any weapon you want? Because I can see Some wizard making one that can the weapon turn into a weapon of ANY size category.
>>
>>44791942
real longswords and great swords were very large, but not as bulky as the ones pictured

assuming the figure is between 5" and 6", a 3 or even 4 is not unreasonable. Such weapons would weigh 7-12 pounds, depending on size and construction.
>>
>>44801994
way more than "some" liberty
way more than enough to go NO NOT EVER

have you ever even seen REAL gladius/broadsword?

they're nowhere near those abominations.
>>
>>44803012
Different guy but would ya mind if I ask what it is that puts you off them so much? Maybe Im just less refined but Im not seeing that drastic of an issue.
>>
>>44803012
Have you ever seen a REAL level 20 fighter?

CHeckm8, realists.
>>
>>44803089
I'm not playing your pleby d20, so i don't care
>>44803087
they don't look useable. they don't even look as it was possible to make something like that from actual metal instead of cheap plastic. even if someone would be strong enough to actually swing that shit, he would do even better with sword of simmilar size but bettet weighted and balances. They also look blunt, and things that are supposed to cut, should be like... sharp. Finally, at purely aesthetical ground, realism and being practical aside, they're just fucking ugly and cartoonish.

Tl'dr, i like my weapons to look like actual weapons, something meant to wound and kill, no 7yo's cheap plastic toy.
>>
>>44803243
No doubt a proper weapon would suit better, true, but Im gonna hone in on one comment that I dont quite understand, if I may.

> they don't even look as it was possible to make something like that from actual metal instead of cheap plastic

I dont quite understand this, could you elaborate? Like, to me, taking 9 as an example, its an oversized and edgy Bowie knife. Do you mean the metal wouldn't be able to support the weight in that configuration?
>>
>>44803343
Well, the general shape would be possible, but that porbably would have to be cast metal, not forged.

But shape is one thing, texture is another. Drawings of "fantasy swords" hardly ever have texture that is anywhere close actual steel.
>>
>>44802120
>what the hell is wrong with 5, and 6, and 7 scaled down to a 1 handed 1 meter or even less than 1 meter length,

its not the problem scaling down. its the scaling up.

because while length increases, the Square-cube law means that the weight increases dramatically more.

that 1m sword might weigh.. oh, 1 kg, say. the 2m one does not weigh 2kg, but 8...

and by that physical law of geometry, an oversized sword rapidly becomes so heavy, it becomes an anchor.
>>
>>44803443
Oh yeah, thats true. And yeah, I guess. Unless forged by giants anyway.

Yeah, I get where yer coming from.
>>
>>44792713
he looks like a master baiter
>>
>>44803243
>I'm not playing your pleby d20, so i don't care

Have you ever seen a REAL [insert whatever shitty system you claim to be using (when you don't even enjoy the hobby) equivalent of a near deific fighter here]?

Checkm8, faggot.
>>
File: the sword is wielding her.jpg (246KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
the sword is wielding her.jpg
246KB, 900x900px

the person's not the character. The sword is wielding them
>>
File: 1334777633146.jpg (34KB, 348x500px) Image search: [Google]
1334777633146.jpg
34KB, 348x500px
>>44791839
Character Height + 1 Foot
>>
>>44791863
/thread/
>>
File: flying-axe.jpg (132KB, 900x500px) Image search: [Google]
flying-axe.jpg
132KB, 900x500px
>>44791839
>>
>>44791839
about 11 on that scale.
>>
6 is my limit for a human being, and they'd have to be fucked strong.
>>
>>44803588
M8 fucking checked
>>
>>44792329
ocasionaly giant swords were used. not for sword combat, but for attacking knights on horseback. it was to take down the horse, then you switched to a normal sized sword. But even those were about 5 foot long which would make them a 3 or 4 depending on how tall the person in the pic is
>>
>>44801694
Except that the 1 in the picture is longsword length.

You faggots watch too much anime.
>>
>>44805971
No, since longsword literally means, a sword which is long.

A common sword could be about the length of an arm or leg if you want to eyeball it.

Arming swords are pretty much a common sword in size, a longsword (which wasn't actually a thing, if they saw something like a zweihander they just called it a long sword, or by its name) it would be something that needed to be wielded by two hands, or was large enough to warrant using it with both hands as opposed to one.

Your bait is shit, as I hope it is bait, and you not being comically misinformed.

Faggot
>>
>>44806749
breh not even that guy but.... 1 is definitely a longsword to the extent that a "longsword" exists.
>>
>>44806770
>applying modern classification to historically sized weapons

Stop that.

That's like calling a musket a rifle just because it is a long gun.

>implying not samefagging
>>
>>44806800
I could swear I've seen your breed of autism before in /v/ mordhau threads. What are your sources even for this peculiar definition of longsword?

You do understand that, even if you are correct, most people who deal with swords will take longsword as a synonym for bastard sword? Are you just as insistent about other words in the English language that have changed in meaning over the years?
>>
>>44806800
no samefag

well i still could be but anyway i'm not

even wikipedia says a longsword is anywhere from 39-51 inches in length (blade 35-43) and that lists a long as list of different swords that could be considered longswords. tell me thats not what common parlance means in discussing "longswords". and then compare how tall that person would have to be for that sword to be that size and tell me 1 isn't in that range.
>>
>>44806987
... You're saying 1 is a long sword right?
You know all you need to do is look at that two handed hilt. Pretty much that alone makes it a long sword.
>>
>>44807076
...right? i don't get why you're being weird about saying the same exact thing i'm saying
>>
>>44807105
because somewhere near "lists a long as list" I kinda lost your train.
Different guy than whoever you are talking too, just thought i'd point out the hilt thing.
>>
>>44807183
oh

yeah

his point seemed to be about sword length so i was just trying to point out that 1 should definitely be included in longsword length by most measures
>>
The guns are explained ingame, they are basically mini mass relays that have blocks of metal in them. Every time you pull the trigger a tiny tiny sliver is shaved off and accelerated to extremely high speeds. This is actually how railguns in Fallout are supposed to work as well.
>>
>>44807430
Wrong thread?
>>
>all of these improper length swords
>>
>>44791839
mass aside, a one handed sword should be at about the ground when you point it down, not significantly longer, if it's longer then you're severely limiting the number of ways you can attack
>>
>>44791839
my setting has slightly reduced gravity and there's a way for people to wield swords and weapons as big as 7 full with a combat doctrine, but even then 8 and 9 seem like a stretch
>>
>>44795053
No such thing as pure steel anon.
>>
>>44791839

6 if you're peak physical strength as a human, 7 for an orc, and the larger ones are restricted to either someone augmented magically or an ogre/giant.
>>
>>44791839
depends on setting, str class, and magic
>>
>>44791839

Probably up to a 7, unless special circumstances permit further.

>b-b-b-but muh historical accuracy!

Who the FUCK cares. I'm playing D&D not autistic I-got-all-of-my-knowledge-of-history-off-4chan historical reenactment simulator. Bring on the buster swords and chainmail bikini-clad amazons. This is fucking fantasy.
>>
>>44791839

Depends on how creative they get with the idea of "wielding".
>>
>>44791839
9, but have rolls every time they move a certain distance with the weapon to see if they accidentally smack into something/someone with it. Send them into dungeons with lots of puzzles that can only be solved if you DON'T accidentally lodge your sword in things. Have them accidentally murder their village chief/benefactor/childhood friend/personcuringthemofscreaminganalleeches at every opportunity.
>>
>>44791839
3, in most fantasy settings.
>>
>>44793120
There are people who happens to 2.2m tall and muscular, just because you're a manlet doesn't mean the rare genetic freak can't be a full on giantlet
>>
>>44791863

/thread

4 seems to be ok.
But if there's any magic or whatever, then who cares anyway.
>>
>>44791839
Assuming the swords are proportional to the size of the adventurer in question...

1 for one-handed weapon, maYBE 2.
3 for two-handed, though I could be convinced of 4.
A Goliath could use 6 one-handed, and two-handed, imagine if 8 or 9 were actually, you know, swords that could reasonably be used for both cutting and thrusting.
>>
>>44791839
five if they have at least 16 strength, 8 if they're a titan mauler or the fighter equivalent.
>>
>>44792972
Someone hasn't heard of the Zanbato- google it, it's so cool
>>
File: UWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.webm (873KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
UWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.webm
873KB, 640x360px
ELEVEN
SLICE THE MOON ANIKI
>>
Depends on setting. Is it a simulationist game with a focus on realism? Then anything above 3 requires specialist training and anything above 6 doesn't exist.
Is it not a simulationist game with a focus on realism? Then I don't care.
>>
>>44810040
>Yes, you can do this, but i will be cunt to you at every opportunity

Just say "no", you autistic cockgobbler.
>>
File: tumblr_mt5pb61jIA1rmrojmo1_400.jpg (44KB, 341x450px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mt5pb61jIA1rmrojmo1_400.jpg
44KB, 341x450px
>>44791839
>What's the maximum size of sword you would allow a player to wield in your setting?

I'd let a size 9 because I'm not a no-fun-allowed GM
Then after all the characters are finalized and done, I make it so that he cannot wield it at all and is essentially dead weight, rendering it completely fucking useless and forcing him to throw away all his backstory with the weapon, either remaking the character entirely, or make a new one. I lied, I am actually a no-fun-allowed GM
>>
>>44810367
I suppose you think you are terribly clever.
>>
File: skeleton-laptop-370x229.jpg (18KB, 190x227px) Image search: [Google]
skeleton-laptop-370x229.jpg
18KB, 190x227px
>>44810385
I feel like a genius actually, thank you
>>
>>44810399
nah, you're just an asshole.
>>
File: 1447190111118.jpg (42KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1447190111118.jpg
42KB, 600x400px
>>44810425
>>
>>44810440
You heard it.
>>
File: 1445856962205.jpg (87KB, 657x420px) Image search: [Google]
1445856962205.jpg
87KB, 657x420px
>>44810446
>>
>>44797626
I wouldn't be surprised if some exalt pushed the limits and wielded a Warstrider Daiklave on foot.
>>
I played a manlet sniper once. Dude was 5'3 and had an anti material rifle almost twice his size because magitech.
>>
>>44805971
If 1 is a longsword then what the fuck are 2 and 3. Even longer swords?
>>
>>44806800
If a musket was rifled then yes it would be a rifle.
>>
>>44792329
Grutte Pier, Frisian guy. But the man was massive himself
>>
>>44791839
no maximum of size, only surpluss of consequences
>>
>>44794899

You, >>44799463.
You are my nigga.
>>
>>44792374

Wouldn't that leave you massively vulnerable if the guy managed to block and then shank you in the brief period when you were drawing a weapon?
>>
>>44791839
Going by your chart, 3. The idea is that top size is shoulder/chin height like historical greatswords, actual size would depend on the wielder size. Because let's be honest, any bigger than that and it gets ridiculous unless you're playing an animu-style setting.
>>
>>44810518

IIRC there's a Celestial charm for that, that was either Lunar or Solar. Or maybe both.
>>
>people say 4 is fine
Top kek, 4 wouldn't even be wieldable properly, nevermind making an effective weapon. Just look at that shit, how are you even gonna defend your lower body with a weapon that requires you to hold it 45° to the ground if you want to point it downward while retaining any kind of decent leverage upon it?
>>
File: 2[1].jpg (19KB, 458x479px) Image search: [Google]
2[1].jpg
19KB, 458x479px
>>44813592
It would. Of course he's talking bullshit so it's a non issue. He's talking of pic related, which are 3 sized, they were most certainly not single swing weapons, and while there's some mention of them being used as an alternative to pollaxes and similar weapons as anti-pike weaponry, their most common use was in duels and as area denial/bodyguard weapons.
>>
File: image.jpg (14KB, 266x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14KB, 266x400px
>>44813726
See
>>44813828
Size 4 Is completely reasonable for a 2-handed weapon fighter.
>>
>>44813953
Uh dude, I'm talking of size 3 weapons, didn't you read my post and look at my pic?
>>
>>44814019
Yes but I ignored them because I saw someone saying size 4 is unrealistic in a magical fantasy universe.
>>
>>44814068
In that dude's defense, I think he was referring to the horde of retards in this thread insisting that 4-6 sizes are actually historical, but I could be wrong.
I'm willing to accept up to Gutts-sized swords in my games (as long as the wielder is exceptional in strength like Gutts or magical in nature) but let's not act like they're historical.
>>
>>44797944
>The ultimate swordsman is just a sword.
That anime was pretty nice, yeah.
>>
>>44797944
>>44814469
Long hair Togame best Togame y/n

Also shouldn't it be, the ultimate sword is just a swordman?
>>
>>44814591
Togame = Shit regardless, but yeah she's best with long hair.
Hime with long hair = Best Girl
>>
>>44813695

Lunar. It was a monkey king reference. Essence 5 unfortunately, so it's actually kind of minor compared to other things in its field.
>>
>>44814780
>Togame = Shit
Blasphemy
>>
>>44815350
She's shit and the only reason I was sad that she died is because it made Shichika sad.
>>
>>44791839
"I draw my sword"
>Roll for strength
>>
>>44815444
>implying your arms are even long enough
use a standard action to take off your sheath, then another to unsheath the sword
>>
>>44815567
Don't forget to roll to see if you can work the buckle.
>>
>>44815716
Ignore this, I thought I was in >>44813128
>>
>>44810361
Well obviously I wouldn't try that on someone with an atrophied sense of humor. If someone can't take a gentle ribbing for carrying around 12 feet of sword they can always trade it for something reasonable, Or deal with the occasional "while turning to face the cult leader, your fuckoff huge sword clips into the skull of the prince you were hired to rescue. With his life, the the ritual to summon and bind the fiend is complete. The blood you spilled burns the sigil of the master into you. Enjoy your new pet Quasit Stenchlord."
>>
>>44799353

I-is that you, Thor?
>>
>>44818212
>>gentle ribbing
>you fail at everything in stupid ways
hilarious
>>
>>44791910
This is literally me in pathfinder. Grung the Kind, the nicest ork you'll ever meet. He wields a large greataxe that does the damage of a size huge. He also frequently enlarges himself with potions from the alchemist.
>>
I mean, many systems have rules about this sort of thing. D&D 3 had fullblades, which have a blade length roughly around 5 feet for a medium character (and probably over a foot of handle, much like a real world zanmadao). An Epic level fighter with the appropriate build could wield a weapon two sizes larger than them, which it seems is quadruple length. So 20 feet long.
Okay, maybe I wouldn't actually allow that. Maybe in that case I'd have to rule that they could do it mechanically, but we'd be going by something inspired by the square cube law in actual length.

I look to reality for some guidance, but I rarely play in a strictly realistic setting, in most of them, especially home brews, even your most basic melee type (fighter or whatever) is implied to have a sort of subtle natural magic or psychic power or just pure mythicness that means they casually exceed the expectations set by reality.
>>
>>44792374
Nigga, back the fuck up. They were used more than a one and done. You're probably a faggot who calls a fuller a blood groove, and thinks the large swords were hundreds of pounds.
>>
>>44818932
>you fail at everything in stupid ways
No, not everything, just the occasional funny thing.
>hilarious
Hilarious fails are a great gateway to adventure.

Anyway, I like people with the bottom to enjoy a joke at their own expense.
>>
>>44803477
I'd say one if the bigger WTF things if the fuckhueg fantasy swords is the lack of fuller. Then again the average faggot thinks it's to let blood out and keep the (non-existent) vacuum of the wound from making you lose your sword.
>>
>>44819937
I'd say it's because the entire point of the fuck-off huge fantasy sword is to showcase how much of a stronk your character is. The only reason the fuck-off huge fantasy sword is not a solid iron club is because swords can have cool shapes and cut things.
>>
>>44791839
>nobody has posted this yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BIfrA6CIIk

That is a woman swinging a 6 foot solid steel sword.

Check and mate faggots, it can be done. Just don't expect to hit anything that isn't a sleeping cow and you're good.
>>
>>44820619
I don't get why people untrained in the use of swords can't understand the idea of leverage. Like when you see people gripping a katana with both hands wrapped around the handle right beneath the tsuba instead of with one on the bottom of the handle. This lady might have been able to do actual cuts if she held it differently.
>>
>>44823298
What should really confuse you is why a weight lifter didn't understand leverage.
>>
>>44791839
There is, in actual fact, an NPC in my setting that wields a bastards sword designed for fuck-off huge giants in one hand. Magic is involved.
So, size 7-8 if you're using one hand, size 8-9 if you're using two.
>>
>>44803477
did you read what I replied too, I know those swords would be silly to use at the size indicated in the OP post, but the guy i replied to said he wouldnt even allow such sword designs at 1 meter or less. The designs as shorter swords are not that outlandish desu, as giant twohanded monstrosities yes, but as a one handed reasonably sized weapon they arent so ridiculous as to be outside the realm of possibility, specially in a fantasy setting.
>>
File: 1391504210630.gif (487KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1391504210630.gif
487KB, 500x281px
>>44797944
Very explicitly not a swordsman. Not only didn't use a sword, but physically couldn't.

Because swords can't wield other swords, that isn't how it works.

I mean, duh.
>>
>>44799711
>>44799785
And you also have to bear in mind that 20 successes ain't shit when it comes to Elder Exalts.

Exalted is a bit like TTGL in that by the endgame you are breaking the limits of a system designed to measure limit-breaking power.
>>
>>44791863
>1
Hand-and-a-half
>2
Two hand longsword
>3
Greatsword
>4
I hope you have 25 strength
>>
>>44791839
speed penalties for and high stamina consumption based on weight , but more additional impact force if the strength is high enough

otherwise , if the weapon weight exceeds x% of bodyweight , add balance penalty
>>
>>44815567
Naw, just have a mechanism that fires the sword out of the sheath at mach 5.

And then catch the fucker and swing it anyway.
>>
>>44791839
4 for gritty or pseudo-realistic settings
6 for medium fantasy with mithril and such
9+ for Exalted and other refuge of absurdity hyper fantasy games.
>>
File: 1269516846729.jpg (380KB, 706x768px) Image search: [Google]
1269516846729.jpg
380KB, 706x768px
>>44791839
Depends on how they make their character.
If they come with a character built like Guts and wearing magical armor or bag then, sure, I'll allow up to a 6 or maybe 6 and a half.
But if you come up with some twig-armed bishonen, you can only use up to a 2.
>>
>>44791839
3 because I don't play with weebs
>>
>>44791839
Past a 3 you might as well just use some kind of polearm.
>>
4 is the highest i would ever go.
>>
3 unless they are really strong.
>Posts chart with sword 4 is 3x larger than sword 3
>>
>ITT: Neckbeards who never handled a real sword.

When i was in a museum trip, a the excursion guy let us get a hold of some of the weapons, i went for the biggest one because i was a huge weaboo at the time, and i found it was suprisingly easy, it was a godamn claymore.
>>
>>44791839

How else will they be able to fight against Giant Robots on foot?
>>

Fact

All other opinions are incorrect
>>
File: Consider the following.jpg (45KB, 300x301px) Image search: [Google]
Consider the following.jpg
45KB, 300x301px
>Magic is allowed to rape reality
>Faith is allowed to move mountains
>Fighters AREN'T allowed to have HUGE swords
>>
Does your setting have dragons that aren't wizards?

Realistically, the gravity of your setting would have to be around 75-85% of what earth's is to even support something like that.

In that case, 5-6 may not even be that retarded.
>>
File: A Knight.jpg (67KB, 500x714px) Image search: [Google]
A Knight.jpg
67KB, 500x714px
>>44834614
Yup.

Bending reality and the favor of deities. Stay mad martial.
>>
3-4 for the normal person, 6 for guys who are like 10 feet tall
>>
File: for you.png (339KB, 583x328px) Image search: [Google]
for you.png
339KB, 583x328px
>>44834666
>6 for guys who are like 10 feet tall
How would you describe such a guy?
>>
File: Laughing_Mask.jpg (63KB, 307x300px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing_Mask.jpg
63KB, 307x300px
>>44834614
>Martial scaling in DnD
>>
>>44834546
That's because you were handling what was probably a properly proportioned blade. 4 and 5 in the OP are sorta pushing it just based on this angle and everything else is kinda oversized as far as we can tell.
>>
>>44835050
3 is already pushing it because the blade is wider than 1 and 2.
4 is comically wide.
5 most likely has a weight of 4-6kg and has balance issues.
8 has most likely a weight of 50-100kg, and 9 over 150kg.

The issue isn't even size, its girth.
>>
>>44835082
I know that. I was talking about proportions, not length. Don't really think 3 is pushing it too hard thou, it kinda depends on how well balanced it is and how nicely shaped the blade itself is.

Which are things we can't really infer based on this chart.
>>
>>44797018

Having only one arm isn't the end of the world.
it's a lot better than only one leg.
Many arming sword and Kriegsmesser codices teach to fight with your off hand behind your back or across your chest to minimise it as a target.
>>
>>44815444
"I draw my sword"
>roll craft: Artist
>>
>>44815567
"I take off my sheath by swinging the sword really hard"
>Roll, Roll, Roll
>Okay, the sheath flies off and beans the bandit in the head. You catch him flat footed and crit him. He's out cold.

>>44835888
+2 to paper cut.
>>
>>44835082
Being modern fantasy swords, pretty much all of these would have issues with their hilt decoration being way too damn heavy for the blade, I imagine.
>>
>>44793366

If you need that reach, and still want melee, get a glaive. If that's not enough reach, there are pikes.
Thread posts: 309
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.