[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is how you paladin backstory.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 16

File: Damn orcs.jpg (638KB, 1000x669px) Image search: [Google]
Damn orcs.jpg
638KB, 1000x669px
This is how you paladin backstory.
>>
File: Laridae_fix.jpg (192KB, 760x596px) Image search: [Google]
Laridae_fix.jpg
192KB, 760x596px
Nah.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (131KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
131KB, 1920x1080px
>Not playing a deconstruction of a paladin.
>not playing a paladin who's an overzealous tool who's been deceived.
>Not playing a member of a holy order secretly ran by a necromancer and/or demon who has a celestial being captive.
>Not getting your powers from drinking this being's blood in "communion" rather than due to any kind of faith or blessing.
>Not being the necromancer's private army as he sends you out to kill the competition and/or contain his experiments.
>Not being a tool who's completely unaware of any of this because "MUH GOD!"
>Not having then the party starting to suspect the truth and making you encounter it for yourself.
>Not having that campaing-defining moment when you realize everything you've ever fought for is a lie.
>Not having to decide afterwards whether to fall into depravity and say "fuck it all"... or slowly but surely take your first uncertain steps towards actual justice and righteousness with only your heart and feelings to trust.

THAT is how you paladin backstory.
>>
>>44787649
Fuckin love me some Oglaf.
>>
>>44787687
This is literally the story to Soul Caliber 5, and that story was shit.
>>
File: cosby_basketball.gif (3MB, 300x304px) Image search: [Google]
cosby_basketball.gif
3MB, 300x304px
> not just some guy who likes shouting abouting smiting evil, but cannot even read or write, or even understands what a paladin is
>>
>>44787710
Soul Caliber 5 had a story? Sorry, never played it. /v/ told me all videogames were shit anyway.

But seriously, it could probably make for a pretty good story if done well.
>>
>>44787687

I honestly prefer to play Paladins as the furious sword of a vengeful God, here to bring the hammer down on subhumans, heretics and anyone God doesn't like. And he does it all with serenity and calm, because he knows that this, too, will pass; one day, he will join the Almighty in Paradise.

Frankly, I'm tired of being contrarian and subverting things all the time. Let me be the truebred Templar son of a thousand-year kingdom of Man.

You know what's the least attractive quality? Doubt. Indecision. Be like a sword, and carve through things without marring.
>>
>>44787729
Take everything in anon's greentext wall, filter it through the shittiest animu hack writer that ever lived, and you get Soul Caliber 5.

Fuck that game.
>>
>>44787741
Let's be honest, you can run the greatest stories ever written through an anime writer and they become shit. That doesn't mean the original idea is bad, it just means animu is bad.
>>
>>44787758
chimps, typewriters, Shakespeare, etc.
>>
>>44787758
Also japs are bad anyway
>>
>>44787783
>>44787783
Nah, Japan is alright. I don't hate Japan. I just hate people who refuse to acknowledge that anime are literally CARTOONS, intended for CHILDREN... especially when they treat it like the highest pinnacle of storytelling mankind has ever achieved and try to imitate it in their games.
>>
>>44787736
i like to think of them as a holy collegiate style brotherhood of sorts. theres 1000 paladins or whatever and when one dies one grows up to replace them.

however, thats the same limit for blackguards, so theres always the chance they will lose ground (and have been forever).

but when one dies the paladin part of them is reawakened in into someone.

and all paladins can recognize each other, or black guards, but they can't tell them apart. they all see a halo around each others heads or whatever.

and they wander the land and fight the good fight. they turn up where they are needed. but have safehouses/colleges all over the place, huge ancient manners in various states of disrepair, down to tiny cottages in the mountains.

i like the various oaths in 5e as part of the core paladin identity. the edgy vengeance paladins are seen with a bit of distrust, but ultimately are brothers to all paladins. the greens are seen as a but strange and carefree. the hardcore devotion paladins.

they all chase sublimity in the art of the sword or whatever. they all are the hammer. goodness is the anvil. they are the hand. righteousness the breeze.

ideally when you awaken as a paladin it will be nearby another one who can guide and teach you. there is a great migrating wheel of how the paladins travel, more crazy even than the wind, but guided by pure goodness, so it follows a pattern and paladins often run into each other on the road, rare though they may be, drawn by some kind of invisible good/evil on the wind. always tossed apart by circumstance and by their missions. fate brings them together, holiness binds them.

with that much power behind them, any of the deadly sins can cause them to descend. but if they can stay on a path of serenity they can become some of the greatest heroes that ever lived.
>>
>>44787700
Idly considered just cropping the "You want revenge, not justice. Come back when you're angry about something that doesn't affect you personally." but it wasn't really worth the effort,
>>
>>44787806
That's like saying books are all bad because some of them are badly written and aimed to teenagers. Most of every medium is shit, news at 11.
>>
File: 1452698587308.jpg (115KB, 690x1035px) Image search: [Google]
1452698587308.jpg
115KB, 690x1035px
>>44787736
Righteous Brother!
>>
File: Haaaaaaaaa.jpg (27KB, 222x298px) Image search: [Google]
Haaaaaaaaa.jpg
27KB, 222x298px
>>44787863
it's always worth it.
>>
>>44787649
Wait.
What is the moral of the story?
>>
>>44788347
>moral of the story
>or any story even
>oglaf
No
>>
>>44787852
So your idea of Paladins are Jedi Knights, and Blackguards are Sith?
>>
File: Knight13.jpg (122KB, 900x544px) Image search: [Google]
Knight13.jpg
122KB, 900x544px
>>44787736
>>44787890
My brethren!
>>
>>44787687
None of that can happen unless you're porking the DM
>>
>>44787687
>anyone else who doesn't do it like me has a shit backstory
How far up your ass can your head be?
>>
>>44788460
Let me rephrase that:
What is joke? The first part was funny but I don't get the punch line.
>>
Just play paladin as a Warrant Officer, in charge of some boot-ass privates.

He yells because he cares.
>>
>>44787877
Books aren't a medium aimed almost exclusively at children, most of anime is.
>>
>>44788620
Most of anime is aimed almost exclusively at gross neets who can afford to spend their autismbux on merch
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 196x319px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 196x319px
>>44787588
>racist serial arsonist
>burn down orc homes on the prairie
>hate myself all the while
>turn myself into a paladin order
>BEG them to take me in, to teach me the ways of justice so that i may atone for my sins and perhaps become a better person
>they teach me all they know and more
>still plagued with visions of burning those damned dirty orcs every gods damned night
>flagellation makes me a good boy flagellation makes me a good boy
>times come for me to go out and do good in the world
>first town i come through is an orc town
>towns being raided by some human supremacy bandit group
>gods demand i come to their aid selflessly
>i HAVE to its what i've trained for
>THIS is how i become a better person
>introduce myself
>a big ol smile plastered on my face and RAGE burning in my heart
>maintain composure by mentally reciting scripture to keep my mind pure and focused
>bandits raid them every night so at least this won't take too long and i can get on my way
>as the sun is setting i see movement on the edge the fores-----
>oh my Lord Balgrund
>its my old gang....
>can even see some familiar faces
>probably don't even recognize me all growned up and wearing full plate and great helm
>it happens all at once
>a flaming arrow shoots from...somewhere
>lands in some poor bastards thatched roof
>can see the poor...orc...bastard...
>on....fire
>the FIRE....!
>come too some time later
>surrounded by the corpses of my old friends and family
>orcs! Orcs rushing me!
>wait...cheers
>for me.
>get carried to the tavern surrounded by cheering and smiling face
>finally...true happiness
>it only cost me my soul
>this is Me
>this is Justice
>i am Justice
>i HATE Justice

THIS is how you paladin.
>>
>>44788538
Oglaf doesn't do punchlines in the conventional sense a lot of the time.
>>
>>44788538
the joke is he entered the order because someone killed his parents and he wants to be strong enough to kill the dude, then when he meets the dude again after paladin training he doesn't try to kill him and isn't even angry at him anymore
>>
>>44788736
Fuck off with your edgy subversion bullshit
>>
File: 1565498150.jpg (48KB, 500x427px) Image search: [Google]
1565498150.jpg
48KB, 500x427px
>>44788736
>>
>>44787649
>third panel
I don't know how I feel about this
>>
>>44787736
>because he knows that this, too, will pass
god damn that's not even a bible quote
>>
>>44787588
Burning down orphanages? Count me in
>>
>>44787588
>This is how you paladin backstory.
...with facile cliches?
>>
>>44787588
>Wandering orc pyromaniac
>Love burning things, not people
>Whenever he finds an abandoned house he burns it down
>One day accidentally burns down an house that was actually inhabited
>Can hear the screams
>Grief
>Regret
>RESOLVE
>Become a wandering paladin fighting his inner demons
>>
>Small group of Paladins and their servants pass through small fairly isolated village on farside of the kingdom
>while there they perform some miracles
>one paladin heals young PCs sick mother
>town holds a celebration for them
>Paladins tell the children of all their adventures
>PC becomes even more captivated with these holy warriors
>when paladins leave they take some orphans with them to be trained for the order
>PC spends entire life dreaming of being a paladin
>protects kids from bullies (often unsuccessfully), convinces blacksmith/old war veteran to teach her how to fight
>spends alot of time at the church working in exchange for being taught how to read
>when older, parents try to marry her off
>runs away to fulfill her dreams
>world is alot more grey from the stories she heard
>after a hard pressed journey across the country she finds the order the paladins from her youth were from
>run down old citadel turned into a shanty town
>occupants tell her the Order suffered a massive defeat in a battle, a few years after they visited her home
>as part of the peace treaty between her kingdom and the enemy the order had to dissolve
>without order sickness is rampant due to lack of healers, bandits run rampant outside of any cities borders, hope dwindling that the Kingdom will be able to survive when the enemy Kingdom comesback to finish what they started
>she spends a few days moping around when she stumbles on the old archive
>begins reading accounts of the various Paladin achievements and their rules
>MOTIVATION
>finds old training chainmail and skull cap lying around
>take old wooden shield off wall and spends some of the little coin she has left on some paint and tries her best to recreate their symbol on her shield
>day one of her quest to bring hope back into the hearts of the people...
>>
File: 1400844841126.png (312KB, 500x628px) Image search: [Google]
1400844841126.png
312KB, 500x628px
>>44787806
>>
>>44787806
>it's animated, therefor, it's for children

Wow, it must be Oscar time again.
>>
>>44787588
That gives me an idea, what if in response to your home burning down you founded a holy order thats sole purpose was preventing and putting out fires. Imagine, it'd be the first official fire department, and you'd have people running into burning buildings in full gear swinging an enchanted axe at fire or throwing holy water on it.
>>
>>44787588
>This is how you paladin backstory.
maybe for you, but not for me.

often my paladin's backstory is not as traumatic, he had no traumatic moment that drove him toward the path of the paladin, he just doesn't like the idea of wicked people ruining everyone else's life.

It's not the most interesting I know, but it's believable and really, a PC's story should lie ahead of him, not behind him.
>>
File: 196894654654.png (615KB, 900x586px) Image search: [Google]
196894654654.png
615KB, 900x586px
>>44787806
>anime is for kidz guys!!
>>
>>44787649
>implying a paladin wouldn't bring the murderer in for another paladin to judge
>>
File: 165498651463.jpg (20KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
165498651463.jpg
20KB, 620x350px
>>44787806
>>
File: 126546307.gif (1010KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
126546307.gif
1010KB, 500x280px
>>44787806
>>
>>44791136
Corpse party anime was the worst. They picked the worst ending too just to get the most horror/kills out of it.
>>
>>44791277
Yep.

The part where the teacher was decapitated was the worst for me to be honest. Just... "herp derp, a thing falls and she lost her head"
>>
>>44791266
>>44791192
>>44791136

Children, edgy teenagers, what's the difference?
>>
>>44791287
I saw the twist where they try to return back home and someone has the wrong pieces of paper with them MILES away.
>>
>>44791304
Children may be traumatised for far longer than edgy teens
>>
>>44791304
I'd understand Hellsing ultimate for edgy teenagers, but what about the first two? That shit creeps me out even now.
>>
File: 1452733476021.png (582KB, 686x494px) Image search: [Google]
1452733476021.png
582KB, 686x494px
I remember reading something about someone's setting involving Paladins in a non-conventional way

Paladins had a greater burden and significance because they weren't heresy-spiting zealots of some god from the start, but actually were simple sinners that sought redemption through training and prayer and wished to make amends with the world and right their wrongdoings - added to this, there was no place were you could seek out to be a paladin, but already existing paladins would seek sinners to convert them and try to make them follow their footsteps, and thus paladins were this form of non-organized chain of favors that turned sinners into the path of righteousness

Kinda like good-natured and diplomatic backwards vampires
>>
>>44787588
The way to do paladin backstorys is i wanna be a paladin and dispense justice when I grow up

Alternatively decide that later in life
>>
>>44790694
I like it
>>
File: Knight11.jpg (261KB, 707x889px) Image search: [Google]
Knight11.jpg
261KB, 707x889px
>>44787588
I want to play a paladin where I can't lose my powers on accident. Where the Gods actually give a shit and talk to their army on the material realm, telling the commanders what to do, sending the paladins, clerics and blackguards to do their bidding in an ever-growing fight between good and evil, culminating at the end where all the forces of good duke it out with the forces of evil to determine the future of the whole reality.

I miss my GM...
>>
>>44791452
Is he kill?
>>
File: Race822.jpg (24KB, 700x528px) Image search: [Google]
Race822.jpg
24KB, 700x528px
>>44787588
There is an episode of Have Gun Will Travel called Genesis. It talks a bit about the MC's backstory, and the reason why he decided to become the man known as Paladin.

I recommend watching that for a grade-A Paladin backstory.

Alternatively, Kikuchiyo's backstory from the Seven Samurai is also a good one.
>>
>>44791481
He moved
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.