[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tg can you help me out? How would the UNSC have fared against

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 4

File: UNSC_insignia.png (214KB, 936x1440px) Image search: [Google]
UNSC_insignia.png
214KB, 936x1440px
Tg can you help me out? How would the UNSC have fared against the Covenant if they had access to Fallout Pre-war technology. Basically if the Pre-war factions could do it so can the UNSC.
>>
Irrelevant.

Fallout tech has nothing relevant to space warfare.

There is nothing land-based that could ever have made a difference in the war. Humanity started losing the minute the Heirarchs declared war and nothing short of magical universe-spanning antics could have saved them.
>>
>>44745433
That and one lucky super-soldier.
>>
>>44745414
Read the Fall of Reach. Nyland did a great job of spelling out how the UNSC was utterly fucked by the Covenant.
>>
>>44745433
What if we give the UNSC Mass Effect tech instead? Or both?
>>
>>44745476
Aren't, according to the lecture from the military dude in ME2 (the one about Newton), the weapons in ME universe still kinetic-based? Because if they are, then the Covenant ships have shields to reflect those, so no change there.
>>
>>44745489
I was thinking more of the basic shields and stealth tech on the ME side and the mainstream power armor and energy weapons on the Fallout side.
>>
>>44745530
Halo universe already has those.
>>
>>44745414
Fallout Prewar tech is less advanced then UNSC tech in everything except energy weapons and even then not by much. Hell Prewar tech is really not that impressive besides laz-rifles, robots(which are really clunky outside of synths but those are a recent thing), and anti-radiation drugs(which are only impressive since radiation in fallout works differently then it does in real life). Their computer tech is backwards and they don't even have transistors and are still using vacuum tubes.
Oh sure everything is nuclear powered but its that 1950's style nuclear powered where any damage happens to your car it explodes with enough force to level a city block. A Spartan's suit is also nuclear powered but doesn't violently explode like that unless they want it to.
>>
>>44745476
UNSC already has more advanced weapons tech. The only helpful tech from ME that would catch on would be biotics and maybe omnitools. Also VIs might be a better, cheap alternative to AIs like Cortana, but I'm not entirely sure on that.

The only Mass Effect technology that would be a real game-changer in the Halo universe is Reaper tech. And getting that isn't worth the effort if Master Chief is just going to fightpunch the Flood and Covenant to death anyway.
>>
>>44745591
The UNSC already has access to tech like that from Forerunner sites. Hell I think the Forerunner might be more advanced then the Reapers.
>>
This thread reads like some fanfic faggot stepped onto /tg/ and is bouncing ideas off people. I don't think you guys should be replying to this guy.
>>
>>44745612
I don't think I care what you think, hombre.
>>
>>44745414
>Cheap and disposable microfusion batteries
>Working knowledge of laser, plasma and pulse weaponry
>Mass production power armour
>GECK terraformation
>Active camo stealth suits

All of these would have greatly enhanced the capabilities of UNSC ground forces, but that was not really the problem. As >>44745433 points out none of this applies to space combat.
>>
>>44745792
Just imagine mass producing GECKs.
>Covvies glass a world.
>It is fine a few weeks latter.
>Reach has been glassed a hundred times before the covvies decide to just station a fleet there.
>>
>>44745591
UNSC already has VIs, they just call them "dumb" AI.

>>44745602
>might
Forerunners were absolutely ridiculous, a handful of their smaller ships would bend the entire reaper fleet over a barrel without any trouble. The UNSC never really got to play around with their tech until after the war though.
>>
>>44745414
The sheer weight and inefficiency of the fallout technology would have been a problem just to get into space.
>>
>>44745414
Fallout has almost nothing that would be advantageous to the UNSC.

Power Armor: The UNSC has already improved on this with the spartan's armor. Earlier versions were very much like Fallout's power armor... and had problems with limited power-supply (just because you can carry 100 fusion cores in-game doesn't mean that's how it actually works canonically), being difficult to transport or wear for extended periods, not being very dexterous, ect.

Laser Weapons: Not actually that much more effective than Ballistic weaponry. IRL these also run into issues such as being incredibly easy to deflect with reflective coatings, dissipating quickly in humid air, and requiring much larger power supplies per shot than a standard bullet. (I believe in the extended universe, Laser weapons and Sonic weapons do exist, but they're mostly used by ONI for highly specialized jobs.)

Plasma Weapons: Why bother, grenade launchers and other explosive weapons put out similar damage and are far cheaper/quicker to produce. Unless you're hoping to match Covenant levels of Plasma tech, you're just going to be stuck with crappy knock-offs of Covenant weapons. I suppose they'd help bring down shields... but outside of the games, the UNSC actually has pulse-technology that does this better, at which point standard (armor piercing) bullets tear through Covies just fine.

Robots: Same problems as power armor, less reliable than human soldiers.

Synths: We all saw how this worked out in Halo 5 when Cortana basically became one.
>>
I'm gonna assume we're talking about a "best of both worlds" kind of thing.

I don't know much about Halo tech, and i agree with people saying most Fallout tech is way behind, but i'm gonna offer some counterpoints and see where things go.

Things Fallout has that Halo doesn't (At least i think so):

1) Teleportation (Transportalthingy from NV)
2) Energy weapons, as mentioned above. Especially plasma weapons. Covenant plasma weapons are considered pretty powerful, no? Also Gauss Rifles.
3) Power Armor. Much more common than Spartan armor, and can be used by pretty much everyone.
4) Molecular assembers (Sierra Madre vending machines). This alone is pretty much the pinncale of technology: you can make everything out of enything. Keep in mind that there did NOT use nanotechnology; they broke down matter and reassembled it.
5)Medical technology: stimpacs, super stimpacs, implants, etc. Granted, Halo has biofoam and the Spartan enhancements, but still, stimpacs can heal you almost instantly and implants don't require a potentailly lethal process. Also autodocs, FEV, Deathclaws, Nightstalkers, Cazadores, etc.
6) Psychics! The kid in NV that predicts the future, some mutants that follow the Master in the first Fallout, and reading the wiki i see there are some more.

Overall, i think that just the assemblers would be enough to make the UNSC have unmatched manufactoring capabilities. Add enegy weapons to every soldier and ship and i'd think they would be able to at least hold off the Covenant.

But as i said, not intimately familiar with either setting, so someone who knows more can correct me.
>>
>>44745414
Humanity was already winning a lot of land battles. Space battles though, they are often lost and have greater impact.
>>
>>44745489
They're pretty much small railguns mechanically, according to the codex.
>>
>>44748212
They do hit a lot harder than their size would indicate thanks to eezo fuckery, but yeah, everyone in ME still uses mass drivers as their primary ship weapon, and their shields don't stop energy weapons at all.
>>
>>44746675
That is, only if you account for Bethesda FO.
FO2 and 1 has crazy-damaging Pulse Rifles that slice through power armor. Enlarge it ten times, fit it on a spaceship and you get MAC-equivalent that can be mounted on turrets.
Plasma was kind of lackluster, even Turboplasma rifle.

Now, the power armor. Spartan suits are fucking expensive, while APA2 can be mass-produced on a measly rig. Imagine every spess mehreen on a frigate being power-armored, while being as agile, if not more, as a regular guy.
Instead of 1 spartan and 600 dudes in t-shirts, you get 1 spartan and 600 wannabe Ultramarines that can pwn best Elites 2v1, and 1v1 regular ones. Same with Hunters, if APA dudes shoot first.

Now, add this to FEV enhancement, remember how anus-tearing was Frank Horrigan and imagine a thousand of them. Ten thousand.
Boarding actions will be over very quickly.

And if you ADD Beth FO, you get shit like Fat Man MIRV that would undoubtedly work in space, since it's a fusion warhead.
>>
>>44750628
Liberty Primes being mass produced... I can't handle that idea.
>>
>>44745792
The GECK cant terraform. That was just FO3 stupidity. It was just a briefcase with a small fusion generator, radiation resistant seeds, instructional books on a ton of shit, and the tools needed to build a starter community.

Insanely useful in the wasteland, but it cant terraform shit into a paradise. That's just fucking magic
>>
>>44753994
Well magic DOES exist in Fallout.
>>
>>44745792
>Cheap and disposable microfusion batteries

Spartan armor has a mini nuclear reactor powering it. The UNSC already has micro-reactors. They just don't stick them on everything because radiation sucks if you have a leak.

>Working knowledge of laser, plasma, and pulse weaponry

Already were reverse engineering covi tech for energy weapons and had a production model laser weapon by the end of the war.

>Mass production power armor

Spartan 4's are normal solders who go through a green beret style program to become Spartans. As a result the UNSC now has thousands of Spartans all with power armor. They already have mass produced power armor and spartan armor is in every way better then the ones in fallout.

>GECK terraformation

meh they already have terra-forming just not from a magic box. Could be useful.

>Active camo stealth suits.

UNSC already has this they reversed engineered the tech from the covies. Spartan 4's have access to it and ONI ships also have a full stealth system.
>>
>>44756327
We are talking about giving the UNSC this tech BEFORE the war starts.
>>
>>44746675
Still, spartan armour is ludicrously expensive whereas Fallout power armour can be serviced using a milling machine and an engine hoist. We know it's resistant to plasma weaponry too, and reflective armour coatings could become standard issue for marines fighting covenant.

UNSC laser weaponry would greatly benefit from Fallout tech. Fallout has light batteries and cheap mass production weapons. In F4 you have laser muskets which have been put together with duct tape but are still capable of shooting someone's head clean off with sniper accuracy. At the very least this would let the UNSC field a cheaper spartan laser that doesn't weigh as much as a motorcycle. At best they could make laser weapons standard issue for ODSTs.

>>44746722
Goddamn, how did I forget stimpacks?! The rest of the Fallout drugs are hit and miss but stimpacks are literally a magic cure all that can near instantly heal anything short of missing limbs. Spartans and marines with stimpack autoinjectors would basically be zombies in the eyes of the covenant.

And yeah, molecular assemblers are a game changer because they give the UNSC Star Trek style replicator technology. >>44753994 If you believe the creator of the GECK who you meet in Fallout 3 the GECK is a portable version of this.
>>
>>44745433
>mass production laser, plasma weapons
>microfusion
>matter transformation(See Dead Money)
>All centuries before the Covenant make contact

Explain to me how this doesn't revolutionize humanity's...everything? From space warfare to industry.
>>
>>44745612
this thread shows up every fucking day, ignore it.
The poster is a huge faggot
>>
>>44758523
Whole new meaning to "Spartans never die."
>>
>>44758559
The thing to remember about humanity's tech in Halo is that it was originally going to be set around the 2100s, then Bungie decided last minute that it should be further in the future and just tacked on a few centuries, making them look kinda stupid for using still using guns that could be made today.

Taking that into account, the UNSC with FO or ME tech wouldn't have done much more with it than we see in those games, since they're set near the 2100s too.
>>
>>44759708
What if we give the Alliance Fallout tech then?
>>
>>44759738
Turians take more casualties in the FCW, council is a lot more wary, batarians get shafted more than usual, but unless they got REALLY scared and decided to try wiping the alliance out before they had another krogan situation I don't think it'd change much.
>>
Fallout also has goddamn energy shields. Not conformal ones like spartans and elites get, more like the covenant's deployable cover shields, or the ones jackals get.

But IIRC, the Spartan's shields were reverse engineered from jackal shields, not elite shields, so getting hold of some shield tech pre-war might get the UNSC shields earlier in the war.

And since they're human tech shields, it might be a bit easier to reverse engineer. Covenant shit is all weird and purple and crystals.

>>44746043
>The sheer weight and inefficiency of the fallout technology would have been a problem just to get into space.

Fallout humanity had a pretty robust space program. They had a couple big space stations and a genuine working re-usable SSTO space shuttle, which managed to survive the nuclear apocalypse and get taken over by parody Scientologists.
>>
>>44759738
They would double BTFO council ground forces because mass effect fields have no effect on most energy weapons. Possibly space forces too because scaled up energy weapons that don't rely on eezo would be pretty terrifying for people used to facing nothing but mass drivers.

>>44759708
UNSC tech is a curious mix of sci-fi bullshit and highly advanced versions of the stuff we take for granted. They still use spess 7.62mm NATO but vehicles like Warthogs run on hydrogen and can elecrolyze water into more fuel giving them nearly unlimited mileage.
>>
Didn't Fallout have straight up digitization of Matter and Matter manipulation mastered? Doesn't that mean every soldier can carry a small armory and factories get a huge advantage?
>>
I know its already been said, but the UNSC was pretty good on the ground, its space where they get stomped, so fallout isnt much help

Unless mothership Zeta is canon?
>>
>>44761035
OP here I was going with Pre-war, but why not? But didn't the Mothership get rekt by the Lone Wanderer by himself?
>>
>>44761937
No need to bump a ded thread, brony.

But while we're here:

Doctor Halsey is a badguy and deserves judgment.

ONI can't stop mucking it up for Humanity.

Fallout is a fun game, but don't take it seriously.

Halo dude is a cool guy.
>>
Shameless bump!
>>
>>44761086
>by himself
Not really, he did have some help. Still doesn't explain how a species that mastered interstellar travel got rekt by a pissed off wastelander and like 4 or 5 other people, one of which was a little girl.
>>
>>44761035
>Unless mothership Zeta is canon?
Pretty sure it is, strange as it sounds.
>>
>>44764363
In all fairness it was THE Lone Wanderer. Only the Warrior (tactics), Courier (NV), or the Sole Survivor (4) are on that level.
>>
>>44764450
The Vault Dweller and Chosen One died right?
>>
>>44764764
Of old age, yeah.
>>
>>44764913
>>44764450
The Warrior is really Old now right?

My Guess on what every protag is doing.

>Warrior
>Leading the Midwest BOS Against the Enclave. (NV mentions them fighting)

>Courier.
>Rich as fuck and Loving life.

>Lone Wanderer.
>Likely helping the Midwest BOS because they are losing.
>Or is being emo about his first love exiling him and his second died.
>>
>>44765366
In my ending the Warrior basically became the Omnissiah. YMMV.

I really wonder what the Lone Wanderer is up to though.
>>
>>44766584
Maybe he fucked off into space? He could be fucking Asari bitches right now...
>>
teleporters would do a lot to help assuming they can get through energy shields. just teleport a nuke into every ship's bridge. on the ground they win even harder, but ground victory means almost nothing in halo
>>
>>44759708
> Looking at the Halo wiki
> Scorpion in service, unchanged for 400 years
>>
>>44761035
>its space where they get stomped, so fallout isnt much help

Uh, Fallout had shield projectors, those alone even the gap pretty extensively, as long as it's a defensive battle.

And weapons technology is almost always scaled up in some form, so Space-ship level Tesla cannons, lasers, plasma guns, whatever the fuck some of the more exotic weapons produce.
>>
>>44759708
>The thing to remember about humanity's tech in Halo is that it was originally going to be set around the 2100s, then Bungie decided last minute that it should be further in the future and just tacked on a few centuries, making them look kinda stupid for using still using guns that could be made today.

Good to know.

They really should've kept with 2100-2200.
>>
>>44764913

Y'know, it's actually debatable if the Courier and the Sole Survivor will die from Old Age, considering the Courier's potential augs and the Sole Survivor's access to possible-future Synth technology, where brain uploading to immortal Synth bodies would be possible and you fucking know it is.
>>
>>44766804

Eh, but it would have made the scale of the war so much smaller and much more ridiculous to believe.

I think the UNSC had like, 200 colonies? Getting 200 well-established colonies, including worlds with populations in the billions and mega-cities in one or two centuries really breaks my SoD.
>>
>>44766807
Each protag had a thing.

>The Warrior
>Tribal turned BOS General/ Guardian of all Organics.

>Courier
>Is Transhuman as is the strongest living creature known and has insane resources.

>Lone Wanderer
>Has the whole chosen hero vib/ or destiny

Still taking my time on 4.
>>
>>44766826
800 colonies. Most were just resource mines though. I think they had around 15-30 Garden worlds? Most colonies were on airless worlds or semi-Terraformed.
>>
>>44766880

That just makes it even more unbelievable!
>>
>>44766807
The Courier is also told by Mr House that they can get the brain transplant technology as well. Just need to get a Synth body, but I'm sure House could make a more human-like robot than the Assaultron his company had already made. I find Assaultrons more difficult a fight than Cousers or Power Armoured enemies, that's a lot of power, especially considering it's size.

Plus the Sole Survivor has access to the Mysterious Serum, which could easily add centuries to one's lifespan.
>>
>>44745792
Actually if the UNSC could do that sort of thing on the ground they could almost certainly put a bigger version onto a ship. The main question there is how much more firepower they could cram onto any given ship, and from what I recall of Fallout's energy weapons they wouldn't get all that much of an improvement there.

Though because they still don't have shields their strategy in space is still going to be lots of cheap little ships built around big guns, just with better guns they (probably) don't need to outnumber the Covenant 3:1 to be able to win.
>>
>>44766891
They had 200ish years to get it all. The thing that ruins it for me is the Human population.

Around 23 billion. Should be higher unless they are using strict population control. But wouldn't you WANT a colony to grow faster?
>>
>>44766907

Fallout humanity had shields.

Hard-light / Energy shields.

Most were picket-fence emitters, but I recall several bubble-shield type things, I think the Enclave Crawler-Base had one on a pretty epic scale; If not then they would probably figure it out the moment space-combat between inter-planetary ships became a thing.
>>
>>44766826
It's either that or having to go past +P+ NATO tech.

You know what? Screw underestimation. I've seen enough settings made in 1990 believe that cellphones would cost $800 in 2000 and 2020 alone that I'm fine with somebody going truly audacious with this shit. Humanity has faster than light travel, suit mounted fusion reactors, consider cancer a nuisance, and sell hydrogen combustion engines that run on water for pedestrian use. They can bloody well make interstellar colonies in 200 years because that's what Halo's all about, mystery, wonder, and awe.
>>
>>44745476
>>44745591
The main game-changer there, unless there's something that says ME weapons tech is much more advanced than Halo tech (and knowing these sorts of threads several anons will pop up with wildly differing "100% factual" statements about that) is the shields.

iirc ME shield tech doesn't do squat to energy weapons, so I don't know how effective it will be against Covenant plasma weaponry, but at the very least it would be a huge step forward in their efforts to reverse engineer Covenant shield tech and mass produce it.
>>
>>44766937
>so I don't know how effective it will be against Covenant plasma weaponry

Eh, purely kinetic shields would probably hold for a while, but the real killer is the heat, and Mass Effect ships have very little armor comparatively, they would probably be reduced to molten slag in short order.
>>
>>44766930
I don't remember any shields, and a quick lookup of the crawler base doesn't mention them. Do you remember any specific areas that had them?
>>
It seems to me that being the LW is suffering.

>No mom.
>Forced to flee home.
>Uncle figure dies.
>Reunited with dad only to watch him kill himself.
>Help gf fix issues at home only for her to exile you again.
>qt blonde soldier finally accepts you, only for her and her awesome dad to die shortly after.

Doesn't the LW deserve some happiness?
>>
File: A liberty prime for ants.jpg (8KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
A liberty prime for ants.jpg
8KB, 240x160px
>>44767039

I was mistaken, it just had massive-sized versions of the Area Denial Shield-fences.

Still though, they probably could make Bubble-shield technology using the same tech, and use it as Campus shields, possibly planetary shields, definitely for space ships.
>>
>>44767060

Wait, I don't remember Sarah Lyons biting it at the end.
>>
>>44767091
Fallout 4. She died shortly after Broken Steel. They never got past the friendzone!
>>
>>44767107
NO! They were couple! I bet Three Dog writes Friend shipping about them!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
>>
>>44745476
But they have overload and energy drain in mass effect. I have always thought engineer shepard could wreck masturcheef. It's pretty much a noob combo.
>>
>>44766937
>>44766951
Geth had plasma weapons, and while they didn't ignore kinetic barriers they could shred them very quickly.

Wouldn't make much of a difference in space either way since covies usually had lasers and particle beams alongside the plasma weapons, but it'd be great on the ground for needlers and brute weapons.
>>
>>44767107
>>44767189
Yeah it's BS, they really got thrown under the bus right after the curtains closed.
>>
>>44767256

The geth didn't have Plasma weapons, they had conventional (For Mass Effect) munitions that they super-heated inside the gun before firing.

Sorta like the Tau, it's not pure plasma like the Covenant or Fallout tech, it's just really fucking hot wedges of metal.
>>
>>44767258
I bet Harkness was hacked and killed the LW. That is why Maxon hates synths.
>>
>>44767299

For some reason I find the idea of Harkness killing the LW to be so hilariously unlikely that it loops straight into being cute.
>>
>>44767319
>LW sick of the Capitol wasteland fakes his own death with Harkness's help.
>Went wrong, Maxon went cray-cray and invaded the Commonwealth.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.