[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't the Emperor make better use of the Edge Lords?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

File: Night_Lords_Assault.jpg (118KB, 905x654px) Image search: [Google]
Night_Lords_Assault.jpg
118KB, 905x654px
Why didn't the Emperor make better use of the Edge Lords? A Legion that can predict the future seems pretty damn useful. He should have at least tried to help Curze with his obvious mental issues.
>>
Because they were to edgy... GOODBYE PEOPLE THAT WAS MY TIME!
>>
Because the Horus Heresy series was a mistake and the fluff coming from it is pants-on-head retarded.
>>
>>44727914

Because Curze was basically a self-fulfilling prophecy.
>>
>>44727925
Curze's future sight was a thing long before the HH series.

>>44727914
Because you know who else could see the future and didn't require hanging entrails around their rooms? Sanguinius and Magnus. And even the two of them aren't able to clearly see sweetheart was going to happen. That said, Sanguinius would've been able to help Curze. But he was terrified of what he saw in Curze was the same Black Rage that was inside him, so the two never interacted on a deep level. By the time of Pharos, it was far too late.
>>
File: night lord feels.png (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
night lord feels.png
24KB, 400x400px
Uzas did nothing wrong.
>>
>>44727925
>Because the Horus Heresy series was a mistake and the fluff coming from it is pants-on-head retarded.

This x infinity
>>
>edge

Foolproof way to spot a retard. Fa/tg/uys love to criticize lore and convince themselves everything sucks. Yet they create/write nothing, and are incapable of creating anything of value. But yeah, these professional writers are stupid, their books are stupid, this character is stupid, thats edgy, what a faggot, etc, etc.

What it must feel like to think everything is inferior, and your duperior tastes determine what sucks and what doesnt. I guess Im wondering if you guys realize what fuckin losers you are. Just sitting there using some juvenile insult toward others' work. Convinced of your own righteousness as if its gospel.
>>
>>44727914
>Why did the emperor do another idiotic thing
>Because he was an idiot.

Every diggity-daggity-day on /tg/
>>
>>44728920
>Yet they create/write nothing,
Criticizing a thing does not require the critic to be able to do better.
>>
I thought curze could only see the worst possible future
>>
>>44728920
If I go to a restaurant and ask for a steak and I get a turd on a plate I have a right to complain.

Can I cook steak well? Not well, no.

This is not the point. Cooking steak well is not my job and I haven't just charged someone for a turd on a plate.
>>
>>44728920
>why don't you like the things you don't like even if they make no sense?
>>
>>44729164
false dichotomy. I dont have the time of inclination to spell anything out for you though. If you dont like something, its objectively bad. We'll just leave it at that.
>>
>>44729256
Not the same anon, but you are ACTUALLY using this argument?
Really?
That is bottom basement trolling.
>>
>>44727914
40k is edge. In the grimdarkness of the far future there is only war.
>>
>>44728920
if you can't take our pointless arguments, go back to reading 1d4chan articles you newfag.
>>
>>44729256
> I dont have the time of inclination to spell anything out for you though.

Cool story, bro.
>>
>>44728920
We create plenty of stuff even if fagots do sometimes scare a bunch of writers off
>>
File: ATGM_Fagot.jpg (428KB, 783x515px) Image search: [Google]
ATGM_Fagot.jpg
428KB, 783x515px
>>44729317
>even if fagots do sometimes scare a bunch of writers off
To be fair, fagots can be pretty scary.
>>
File: 1452372010139.png (431KB, 1585x644px) Image search: [Google]
1452372010139.png
431KB, 1585x644px
Because predicting the future is hard and unreliable in 40k.

>>44729164
>/v/ pls go
>>
>>44727914
There's a lot of smart, forward-thinking things the Emperor should have done, but didn't. He was s shortsighted, power-hungry asshole that believed his own bullshit. Small wonder he fucked up so hard in pretty much every way possible.
>>
>>44730159
The Emperor wasn't shortsighted. It's obvious that everything he did was done with utmost urgency, with the goal of fucking over Chaos before they can take revenge.
>>
>>44730475
No, what he did, as according to the Horus Heresy novels, was mostly unapologetically retarded.
>>
>>44727914
>>44730159
Personally, I've always liked the implication that the Emperor was a MASSIVE hypocrite. He had some good ideas, but the Great Crusade's primary goal was making him God Emperor of all humankind, not ensuring a peaceful happy galaxy or anything like that.
To that end, he was pretty happy to do unbelievably unethical things like:
>Employ the Night Lords as a terror-weapon so that he could keep other legion's reputations pristine.
>Use the Space Wolves as his personal hit squad.
>Deliberately brutalize Perturabo because he believed in democracy a little too much, and encourage his Legion to become fascist oppressors.
>Humiliate worst Primarch and burn his greatest work to ashes.
>Not bother to liberate Angron's world because slavery sat perfectly well with him.
Personally, the interpretation I like best is that the big E at least in part brought the Heresy on himself. The rebels were all his mistakes coming back on him.
>>44727925
This is kinda true desu.
>>
>>44731370
>>Humiliate worst Primarch and burn his greatest work to ashes.
Why would he do that if he wanted to God-Emperor? Lorgar would have been 100% on board with that plan.
>>
>>44731505
Well, perhaps I should say "Uber Supreme Dictator Forever 'n' Ever" rather than God Emperor.
The point is, I like the idea that the Emperor's end goal was at least in part supreme control, as well as his more benevolent beliefs. So, he wanted to carefully guide humanity's transition into a psychic species... but he also wanted to be super boss forever, and he didn't care how much genocide he had to do to get it. I don't think he was just power hungry, he had good reasons to believe that he was the right man for the job. I just also rather dislike the interpretation that the big E was a hero or even a particularly benevolent leader.
I've lost track of the fluff canon over the years, so I have no idea how close/far this is from the current, official version of the setting, but it's what I like.
>>
>>44731258
>according to the Horus Heresy novels
There's your mistake.
>>
>>44731370
Spot the chaos player.
>>
>>44729425
Indeed
>>
>>44727914
This.
I like you, OP.
>>
File: cmonzerks.jpg (1005KB, 600x7077px) Image search: [Google]
cmonzerks.jpg
1005KB, 600x7077px
>pre-novel Emperor

>Index Astartes

>For the next few years, many such forces were sent against Angron's slave army and each one was defeated, cut to pieces by the psychotic fury of the cybernetically enhanced warriors. But attrition and hunger were taking their toll on the slaves and soon they numbered less than a thousand. On a mountain named Fedan Mhor, as darkness fell, Angron was finally surrounded by no less than five vastly superior armies and it looked as though the slave rebellion was finally over. Not even the Primarch could stand against such numbers and the following day's battle would surely see him dead.

>It was around this time that the Emperor came to this world, drawn by the psychic aura of the Primarch. The Emperor had observed Angron in secret from orbit for some time, watching with pride as he led the slaves in battle. Now he descended to the planet's surface, offering Angron leadership of the World Eaters Space Marine Legion and a place at his side. But, to the Emperor's surprise, Angron refused. His place was here, with his fellow slaves, and he would die before deserting them. Angron and the slaves dug their graves during the night, a signal to their enemies that they would fight to the death rather than surrender. The Emperor knew that even though Angron was a Primarch, he would perish in the coming battle and, bringing his ship into low orbit, teleported Angron away from Fedan Mhor. Without their leader, the morale of the slaves was destroyed and the following morning they were slaughtered by the combined armies of the planet's rulers. In space, as the Great Crusade continued, Angron eventually took command of the World Eaters, but never forgave the Emperor for his abduction from the planet and what he saw as a betrayal of his martial honour.
>>
>>44737153
Isn't that how it went in the novels?
>>
>>44737557
I think the point of that post was to remind that the common-used summary of Angron's meeting with the Big E as "HURR DURR I TELEPORT YOU AWAY FROM YOUR PEOPLE BECAUSE I LIKE BEING AUTISTIC DICK AND AM UNILATERAL IN MY JUDGEMENT" is tad oversimplified.

The Big E teleported Angron away because he got himself into a losing situation, and it was either letting him die or teleporting him away, because he was too stupid/angry/honourable enough to take the legion daddy had brought him as a present and use it to kill the armies that surrounded them.

So, the Emperor had a reason (rather half-assed one, but still) for doing what he did with Angron, beyound being self-righteous dick with zero empathy and a god complex.
>>
>>44737858
Well instead of teleporting him he should have bitch slapped Angron put in the legion there and wreck those armies.

Way smarter.
>>
>>44729256
>objectively bad
10/10 got me to reply.
>>
>>44739056
I'm not really disagreeing with you here.

It's just that even those specks of reasoning that were there in older versions of this fluffed decayed away by now.
>>
File: mort1-head.jpg (126KB, 800x680px) Image search: [Google]
mort1-head.jpg
126KB, 800x680px
>>44737858
I actually meant it as a reminder that BL were hardly the first to present the Emperor making a somewhat boneheaded decision, and one of the most famous examples in fact came from the era of HH fluff that the novels have supposedly ruined. No matter the reasons, Emps willingly chose a course of action that anyone could see would be guaranteed to make his son hate him forever. If we assume, as you have, that he'd actually brought the World Eaters with him, that just makes it even worse: why did the Emperor not lead them himself to fight alongside the slaves? Maybe Angron would still be mad that an outsider had come to his rescue (as Mortarion was) but surely even that would have been a better prospect than simply abducting him and leaving his followers to be slaughtered?

And by "era of HH fluff", I mean Index Astartes. Before IA, there was nothing like this in Angron's backstory (admittedly, he barely had one at all); he followed Horus out of pride and honour, and a desire to save the Imperium through martial order, not because he hated the Emperor.

Mortarion, since I mentioned him above, was a similar case. IA revealed that he already hated his dad too (no, not that dad, his actual dad), though that stemmed more from Morty's own self-loathing than any real fault on the Emperor's part. But even then: Mortarion was actually *known* for resenting the Emperor, to the point where Guilliman and Corax supposedly voiced concerns about his loyalty. Which the Emperor casually waved off because loyalty to Horus was loyalty to him. And he had no reason to doubt Horus, that's fair enough, yet still, the Emperor apparently didn't consider it a problem that another one of his sons hated him and everyone knew about it.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.