[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A ttrpg thesis

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 1336607663553.jpg (23KB, 569x428px) Image search: [Google]
1336607663553.jpg
23KB, 569x428px
Hello Elegan/tg/entlemen,

So I've made mostly through University and have convinced my professor to allow me to write a ttrpg campaign as my thesis project. (I'm in a narrative and media program)
So I come asking for ideas, what are the benchmarks of a good campaign? What are the things you love to see, do, encounter, and experience?
and on that note what are the troupes you dont want to touch with a ten foot poll? Events, and story arcs that make you cringe?

Im just beginning to rough it out and am hoping to get /tg/'s insight, when I was a new GM this is where I came to find tips and tricks and other sources for helping me make my stories and game better, so for my thesis, I want to start hear again.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>44717160
we only help you if you write your thesis about a campaign in FATAL
>>
I recall the D&D 4e DMG2 has some really nice suggestions for building campaigns.

If you hadn't yet, give it a read.
>>
>>44717160

If you don't know the answers to these very basic questions, and have to browse an anonymous image board for ideas, you really shouldn't be doing such a project in the first place, unless your university is a joke, or you're treating it as a joke.
>>
>>44717536

Could be worse. I once did a paper in psychology using Campbells Heroes Journey as a structure.

It wasn't actually allowed but, the teachers for that particular class pissed me off because they were incompetent bitches. So I talked to a friend of mine who was the ex-mentor of their boss and, well they suddenly changed their attitude.

It was a very good paper though.
>>
>>44717875
I did a paper for an honors class about the difference between "nigger" and "nigga" and how that related to certain concepts in 1984 (how you talk about things affects how you think about them and all that). Title was "Niggers and Niggaz: A blah blah academic sounding subtitle"
I'm black and did it to see if they'd say anything they didn't
>>
>>44717160
You'd be much better served writing your initial campaign background and notes then recording the actual sessions to show your skill at improvisation.
>>
>>44717960

this is >>44717875

I am amused by this. We should turn this into a "Weird papers we did in university" thread
>>
Given that those assessing it will likely be layman, I'd start from base principles and focus on the broad strokes.

Lay out the key concepts, the aims of it, and then slowly provide the reader with a set of tools to allow them to build a compelling story. A set of events, locations, characters and stimuli all linked together in a logical and interactive way that gives the person running that campaign ample support in weaving their own narrative from the elements you provide them. It might not be a traditional RPG campaign, but it'd likely get you the best marks.
>>
The problem here is that a campaign is a collaborative effort. If it's just you, then you're not writing a campaign, you're writing a novel. The thing that makes a TTRPG special is that someone can introduce new canon into your precious story and there's almost nothing you can do about it if it fits.
>>
File: ScruffySeconded.jpg-c200.jpg (11KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
ScruffySeconded.jpg-c200.jpg
11KB, 200x200px
>>44717323
I agree with this gai.

Teach your professor all about fatal, what could go wrong?
>>
File: ten_commandments.png (557KB, 1014x3387px) Image search: [Google]
ten_commandments.png
557KB, 1014x3387px
>>
>>44717160

So i'm gonna help you out a bit, because I still believe in a /tg where we get shit done, so heres some brief ideas for you to play around with.

First, you need some referance material. The Hero's Journey, DND 4e dm guide ideas, and some of the better DND/paizo campaigns should serve to give you an idea of what to look for.

So, because this is a TTRPG, there are a few things you have to consider. All TTRPGs are a bit differant, but they tend to have a few things in common. First and foremost is some kind of progression. The characters usually start out as normal people, beginners at a trade, etc. The party of young adventurers meets at a tavern. A johnson is looking for some cheap runners for a milk run. Some average townsfolk start seeing weird things happening. You then have to see those charecters progress. The adventurers kill goblins, and then encounter an ogre. They manage to kill the ogre, and gain fame and accord, and the powers that be send greater challenges at them. And so on. Sometimes the progression is a negative one, like in Call of Cuthulu, where everyone (usually) gets progressively more damaged as the game goes on. Either way you see change over time.

Secondly, your players need to have agency in the world. Even in COC, there are usually victory states (albiet they usually read "not everyone was dead or insane at the end! Yay!"). This is especially important in TTRPG campaigns where the players are supposed to be heroes of some kind: they need some way of affecting the world, making changes, slaying bad guys and so on. If the players fight hard, do things right, make all the rolls, and nothing changes, that is bad. If they keep seeing this happening, its railroading. TTRPGs are like video games and other forms of interactive media: they have to have room for the player to actually interact with the game world you create.
>>
>>44717960
...Of fucking course they wouldn't say anything? Why would they? It's a completely valid linguistic study.
>>
>>44718207
>>44718229
>>44718111
>>44717985
Thanks those are for sure areas worth looking into!

As for why I can get away with writing out an campaign, my prof is less concerned with "playing it" so much as he wants to see us create something we are passionate about.
>>
File: chastity eqution.png (50KB, 551x446px) Image search: [Google]
chastity eqution.png
50KB, 551x446px
>>44718059
Nigga paper guy
Took two arthurian lit classes, wrote a paper or two with pop culture sources because hey, arthurian lit IS pop culture, why not modern stuff
>>44718277
>It's a completely valid linguistic study.
You'd be surprised at how many people would disagree, especially since lots of people don't think I'm black to begin with.

As an aside, for a final project one group decided to do a presentation on chastity tests and then administered one of their own, pic related. "Zodiac factor" is, based on your sign, how much food coloring they put into a vial before putting a bit of your hair in to see where it floated. I was one of their test subjects, as found to be officially of "driven snow" purity I was and am a virgin, but nobody knew that
>>
>>44718355
You'll always be snow white to me
>>
>>44718335
and regardless since the project is just meant to be a work in a genre or medium it doesn't matter if the players fuck with it because I can improvise from there. I'm being marked on my take on the form and medium not if the players stay on track or not.
>>
>>44718865
Well the medium is "cooperative roleplay", yes? So letting players fuck with it is the name of the game
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.