[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>>Your sword explodes! Lol

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 10

File: image.jpg (37KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 500x333px
>>Your sword explodes! Lol
>>
>>44687779
>not making your players save vs death whenever they roll a 1
Amateur
>>
>>44687798
In my game, natural ones mean automatic failure and that's it.
>>
>>44687779
I much prefer the critical hit/fumble decks myself.
>>
Critical failures are literally Hitler, only suited to brobro groups who don't have anything other than slapstick to entertain themselves with.
>>
>>44687815
>in my game if someone rolls poorly I just let them reroll until they win
Fixed that for you
>>
I wanna make a custom fumble list, way better than saying "uhhh, you fall prone and drop your sword"
>>
>>44687779
Ones auto fail in my group if yo fail a Dec check dc your bonus after you done fucked up real bad and a critical fumble happens but never something super bad like you kill your self or some thing dumb stuff like you drop your blade snap your now string bury your axe in the near by tree ect.
>>
File: 007.jpg (376KB, 846x1200px) Image search: [Google]
007.jpg
376KB, 846x1200px
>>44687779
>>you're now covered in sticky sword juices! Lol
>>You're sword is slowly going limp! Lol
>>It'll be 10-20 minutes before you're sword is able to get hard again! Lol
>>You're sword has to go home, it's got a busy day tommorrow! Lol
>>You're sword has left without even letting you snuggle in the afterglow! Lol
>>You're sword didn't even leave a number for you to call it with! Lol
>>You're full of self pity and disgust at your slutty ways! Lol
>>You're crying yourself to sleep again tonight, alone! Lol
>>
I have my players roll a second time and that determines the degree of failure.

Two nat 1s in a row is typically death or at least a major, permanent injury.
>>
>>44687973
>you're
>>
File: basic.png (79KB, 606x279px) Image search: [Google]
basic.png
79KB, 606x279px
>>44687914
Was that... a sentence?
>>
File: 1437189063200.png (31KB, 184x173px) Image search: [Google]
1437189063200.png
31KB, 184x173px
>>44687815
casuals
>>44687779
>>The sword slip from your grasp and... it kills some dude in the crowd.
"that GM" thread?
>>
>>44687980
> Double Nat 1 diplomacy
You fucking die of embarrassment lololol!
> Double Nat 1 Craft(Alchemy) for poison
It's explosive and you blow your own fingers off lololol!
> Double Nat 1 Perception check
Your eyeballs fall out lololol!

Jesus Christ just fucking play Snakes & Ladders if you like lolrandom so much.
>>
>>44688010
Or... I'm reasonable depending on the context? It's less than 1% chance of even happening in the first place.
>>
>>44688032
Not him, but I'm wondering what a nat 1, then a nat 20 would be like.
>>
>>44688082
You fuck up so badly that somehow you accomplish exactly what you were attempting to have occur
>>
>>44687779
A nat 1 in my group is just 1, if your modifiers pass the check from there, ok. You have to confirm the fumble and roll again, 2 nat 1's are a crit fumble and auto fail. Usually something like "you attempt to draw you sword, but it hangs up in your sheath." Or if they would have passed had they not confirmed, "you strike the goblin in the head, dealing a fatal blow however the bones of the goblins skull hold your sword firmly in place"
>>
>>44688032
The consequence for random failure should be failure. If it wasn't an important action then nobody cares that you slipped up the diplo roll, failed to make the poison, or didn't see the trap. If it was an important action then the failure to perform the action itself should have the serious consequences. The king is unconvinced of the threat and doesn't lend his much-needed aid, the poison fails to be effective at a critical moment, the trap springs and the party is injured, etc.

You don't need to add edgelord mega-failure to the mix. If the fighter rolls a bunch of Nat 1s on his round and thereby fails to do any damage to the monster tearing through the party, the consequence is that the monster is gonna stick around and tear through more shit for even longer, which is usually bad enough. You don't need to add him chopping his own arm off into the mix -- the monster will gladly chop it off for him.
>>
>>44688097
I like that a lot more than I should
>>
>>44688082
Oddly enough I have had that happen (Never had two nat 1s happen, honestly)

I decided that they failed their action but manage to succeed in a bad way. Specifically they failed the pick the door's lock but instead broke the lock, which both opened the door and made some noise.
>>
>>44688133
In that same sense criticals should only succeed and have no positive side-effects.

Which is okay to play by, but if you're going to have one you might as well have the other to some degree.
>>
>>44688133
>the monster will gladly chop it off for him
>>>>tfw no dismemberment rules

How are trolls and hydras supposed to be cool
>>
>>44688199
Nut him, but I usually do, if only because 20 let's them success by so much.
>>
>>44687815
In my games, natural 1s are where I get to make a move.

I usually make it something mildly humorous that accelerates the action/plot.

You fall into the river after rolling a 1 on investigate. (unknownst to them, the clue is in the river, and now they have a better chance to find it)
>>
>>44688032
So, on average, if a player tries 100 risky things then they will die. Sounds like a great way to play an adventure game

>I sit at the inn and avoid eye contact with strangers
>>
The way our group handle natural ones is pretty fair in my opinion. The results might be a little extreme, but not completely ridicilous.
If you roll a double 1 with a weapon, the results depend on what weapon you have.
Say, if you have a flail, you might critically hit yourself. If you have a spear, you might miss the target and break your weapon. Smaller weapons, like swords and axes, might slip from your grasp, flying several feet away fro you.
We've never had a natural 1 occur on tumble check, but I'm guessing we'd stun the victim for a couple of rounds, if we're in combat.
>>
>>44688425
>So, on average, if a player tries 100 risky things then they will die.
Only if you're drawing from a sample of infinite adventures.
>>
>>44688428
A first level character will be rolling 1 attack per round. A high-level character will be rolling AT LEAST 4 attacks per round, and quite likely more. Therefore, an experienced fighter will be MORE likely to accidentally stab himself.
>>
What is the worst critical failure a DM has ever given you or a fellow PC?

What is the worst critical success a DM has ever given you or a fellow PC?
>>
>>44688458
>What is the worst critical failure a DM has ever given you or a fellow PC?
My character screaming while trying to hide, made absolutely zero sense.

>What is the worst critical success a DM has ever given you or a fellow PC?
Casting wish on a UMD check while trying to use a scroll of cure light wounds. How the fuck does that make any sense, at least make it miracle. Absolutely broke the campaign too, turns out giving a level 2 access to wish can break games.
>>
>>44688425
On average out of 400 dangerous actions given a huge pool of actions, then yes, injury/death could happen.
>>
>>44688458
Worst Crit Fail
>Player 1: I'm rolling acrobatics to jump from the top of this tree down at the pack of wolves!
>Player 2: Dude, just climb down the tree or use the rope we used to climb up it.
>DM: Are you SURE you want to jump?
>Player 1: Bitch, I know what I said.

Worst Crit Success (Same campaign)
>Player 3: I roll to seduce the Queen!
>Nat 20
>DM: Alright, guess that works... roll a d20 for me, no modifiers.
>Player 3: 'Kay, I got a 7.
>DM: Congratulations, you knocked her up, AND she wants to abandon the kingdom to go adventuring with you guys!
>Player 2: Holy shit dude, it was enough of a hassle babysitting Player 1...
>Player 1: Fuck off, the snow broke my fall!
>Player 2: And your goddamn legs...
>>
>>44687779
>was swinging an alchemical sword at a fire elemental at the time

>"well played GM, well played"
>>
>>44688425
>You have unfortunately rolled consecutive 1s attempting to avoid eye contact, you stare at a Medusa straight in the eyes.
>>
>>44687779
I was that faggot whining about this the other day
>Roll 20
>succeed at tripping boss and crit him to the edge of death.
>next attack rolls 1, forced to roll 1d4 to see which party member I instakill with no save.
>Roll me and promptly impale myself on my spear and explode (for reasons).
>First session with that group, first battle with that character. I hadn't even been introduced.
>Will forever be remembered as that one random asshat who sprinted into the bossfight, knocked him on his ass and then exploded FNAR.
>>
>Attempt to get answers out of somebody with an intimidate roll.
>Roll system equivalent of a Nat 20.
>"He's so scared of you he suffers a heart attack and dies."

Fuck you GM.
>>
>>44688703
Your dm is shit
>>
>>44687779
A one is an auto action fail, but also prompts a reroll. The second roll decides how bad you fucked up. A double one just means you failed and you are fine. A 1, then 20 means you just did something horribad, like swing at a guy, but hit his wife all the way across the room because your sword flew out of your hands.
>>
>>44688703
thats a shit dm right there
>>
>>44688703
While that is a total shit way to go, at least you got a weird story to tell.
Or a title
>Lord of Untimely Suicide
>>
>>44687884
The general assumption is that something's gonna be hitting you at least once before you get to make another attack/save
>>
>>44688791
That's a lousy title.
>>
>>44688724
>GMs who punish you for rolling the best possible result
God I hate this so much
>>
>>44688841
I know.
>>
>>44688703
>Will forever be remembered as that one random asshat who sprinted into the bossfight, knocked him on his ass and then exploded FNAR.

Congrats, you're a Final Fantasy attack
>>
>People hate the binary Nat 1 Lol Failure! and Nat 20 Lol Great Success!
>But hates the narrative successes and failures and different degrees of such of the Star Wars systems

Why even? When I GM it I have a blast coming up with the outcome of each test.
>>
>>44687973
Do we know anyone who have translated the pic in question?
I found the doujinshi, but it's only in moonspeak.
>>
>>44689063
A whole lot of "Hah" and "Ah"s
>>
>>44688673
Arrrfghghhhhh!!!
>>
>>44688673
A 1 followed by a 20 means you stare into her cleavage.
>>
>>44688264
>In my games, natural 1s are where I get to make a move.

Except your game doesn't have natural 1s because you play PbtA like a cancerous faggot.
>>
>>44688673
>Roll to sit there and do nothing
>Double Nat 1
>spontaneous combustion
>>
File: critonomicon.jpg (444KB, 697x900px) Image search: [Google]
critonomicon.jpg
444KB, 697x900px
It's like you niggas havent even read this shit.
>>
>>44689063

It's a fairly straight forward doujin, basically Marlene cleans her ear with what amounts to a small stick in the same of a lockpick, halfling boipussy comments on this, and gets him to agree to let her clean his ears out (presumably so he gets better listen checks), he places his head in her lap and she proceeds to clean his ears... which turn out to be super erogenous zones on halflings, and he proceeds to thrash and whine and literally cream his jeans so hard that at the end of the doujin we see them having been hung up to dry after washing and him looking embarassed.
>>
File: 1446129755412.jpg (73KB, 500x503px) Image search: [Google]
1446129755412.jpg
73KB, 500x503px
>>44690619
I know we are here on 4chan and that its a Japanese doujin, but that really weird-ed me out.
>>
>>44690481

For many years on /tg/ the critonomicon was a semi-mythical tome, one no one had ever seen but which was spoken of in hushed whispers for the fabled crit tables it was said to contain.

Then someone scanned it and shared it in a thread two years ago... mere moments before asshats in another thread broke /tg/ so that an unclosed spoiler tag in a third thread somehow applied to ALL THE TEXT on /tg/ via some weird bug in the dice system that only happened when you have 15-20 people trying to roll "d0s" simultaneously.

Thus, even though many anons have a PDF of the critonomicon saved from that thread, we are reluctant to share it, lest the Critonomicon's Curse strikes the board again.
>>
>>44688010
>Double Nat 1 Perception check
>Your eyeballs fall out lololol!

Topkek
>>
I don't mind critical fumbles. They sometimes create amusing stories, like how I once went from full hp (around 80ish) to negative hit points in a session despite never having been hit by an enemy.
>>
>Not making absolutely any roll, from 1 to 20, be instant death for the PC
Fucking normies plaguing my hobby
>>
>>44687798

>Level 20 barbarian
>Has spent his life wielding a weapon
>literally is a god among men
>kills himself with his weapon

You're not the fastest zergling in the control group are you?
>>
>>44690750
no way, that's all just supersticious bedtime stories anons tell their children

if you have the pdf dont let the tales disencourage you
>>
>>44690900
>I talk the guards into letting me in
Roll charisma
>got a 14
You die
>>
>>44691015
The Hunt Consumes Us All: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/24430166/
>>
File: full retard_1.gif (19KB, 518x400px) Image search: [Google]
full retard_1.gif
19KB, 518x400px
>>44690995

DUDE NAT 1 LMAO
>>
>>44687857
Only exception I'd make is if the PCs are messing with old/unstable explosives or wielding a dangerous weapon they're untrained in or the like. Of course, I'd make sure to preface it with telling them that this could lead to disastrous results and only if it is suitably dangerous (as in not something they do on a daily basis).
>>
>>44690995
You've never played anything other than D&D, have you?
>>
>>44687779
Yeah see, that shits retarded, but you can't go wrong with the occasional bit of fluff and fuckery. The old classics like your sword gets wedged in a bit of wood or you lose your grip and it clatters to the ground next to you, shit that might cost a move action for the unfortunate adventurer
>>
I follow the rules of the game I am currently playing in all things except when obviously obtuse. As the natural 1 means failure on certain actions is not obtuse I use it.

examples of obtuse are things like infinite loop exploits, inconsistent abilities, etc.
>>
>>44687914
I done when you rolls dice 1 yo Orc barbarian is not having lose grip od barbarim axe. But can slip then in the stead.
>>
>>44688425
Depends on the thing and level of risk. Some things do come with a very real chance of injury or death beyond failing to perform an action if you keep doing them . . . that's what makes them risky in the first place. Though if it is going to lead to death or injury it should at least come with a reasonable save.

Also, critically failing is often baked into systems but they just don't call it that. Failing some skills/rolls by 5 or more in 3.PF or by increasing degrees of failure in Dark Heresy results in something similar to a critical failure. Your sword might not explode but that overheating plasma gun might.
>>
>>44687779
>PC swings a two-handed sword
>crit fail
>roll on chart
>PC cuts both of his own arms off

Random charts are the best.
>>
>>44687914
What the fuck are you even trying to say

Speak fucking english
>>
File: 1445903553733.jpg (11KB, 261x193px) Image search: [Google]
1445903553733.jpg
11KB, 261x193px
>>44688264
I thought failing forward was a meme
>>
>Nat 1
>You don't know your own strength. You overswing and your weapon shatters on a rock
>Proceed to roll another 1
>...Same thing happens to your backup

Come on, at least be inventive in fucking me over
>>
When I GM a 5e game, I treat natural 1s and 20s to work the same way that some systems have a 'degrees of success' sort of setup. A natural 1 is a failure + a complication. A natural 20 is a success + some additional benefit. Applies to both skills and combat.

Players usually like it. Even critical misses make the scenario more interesting by introducing something unexpected that they have to contend with. Critical hits aren't just more damage or assured skill success, usually something neat happens. It adds a lot of spice by throwing in things not really covered in the rules, like dropping your weapon, tripping, setting your opponent's beard on fire, giving someone a concussion with an ale mug, or whatever.

I sort of wish that d&d 5e had these sorts of rules by default. It would seem very easy to introduce degrees of success into a d20 system. Like passing or failing a check by 5 (or whatever) gives superior/inferior results to the more typically binary pass/fail result. Then again, reserving them to 1s and 20s is easy to do and still guarantees an unusual result 10% of the time, which is often enough.
>>
>>44687884
What? Didn't he just say it was an automatic failure?
>>
>>44692966

All wizard crits should produce a cloud of doves
>>
>>44688264
>literately failing forward
>>
>Players are overly paranoid in a dungeon that has no traps in it, because it doesn't make sense (story-wise) that there would be traps
>I'm getting borrdy
>Making a trap check for everything
>Somebody rolls a one while checking the door
>"You squint a bit, and something catches your eye. In fact, that might be... that might be a door!"
>Think joke is lame
>Players burst out laughing
>Guy who failed the check still quotes that line occasionally

I didn't even think it was funny
>>
File: 1395598237187.jpg (127KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1395598237187.jpg
127KB, 800x800px
>>44687914
>>
File: 1.jpg (36KB, 498x614px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
36KB, 498x614px
>>44687914
Jesus Christ, how horrifying
>>
>>44687884

Level 20 fighters, more inept than level 1 fighters because they make more attacks and thus accidentally kill themselves more.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.