[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Been looking to get into DnD for years, A local card shop has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (13KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13KB, 259x194px
Been looking to get into DnD for years,
A local card shop has people play every week think i might try.
My question is, are there "best" characters or classes?
What are your favorite characters to play and why?
What are some of the best characters you've played with over the years?
>>
>My question is, are there "best" characters or classes?
>What are some of the best characters you've played with over the years?
You keep using that word.
Please define "best"
>>
>>44658541
I suppose i would mean survivable or versatile
>>
>>44658610
"Fun" might be another word but even more ambiguous
>>
>>44658610
Which edition of D&D? There are no "Best" classes after 3.5. In which case Cleric or Druid or Wizard.
>>
>>44658872
Id assume im playing the most recent edition?
So the newer games have been balanced?
>>
>paladin
heals n shit
>>
>>44659122
More or less.
However, what do you want to DO in the game? Do you want to beat the shit out of stuff? I suggest Fighter.
You want to be sneaking, disarming traps and stabbing motherfuckers int he back? Rogue.
Want to be the party's moral compass and keep those morons alive? Cleric.
You want to heal some AND cut demons new assholes? Paladin.
You want to bed reality over and pump her in the ass so you can fling fire and make fuckers explode? Wizard.

Depends on what you want to do and what level you are.
>>
>>44658610
>>44659343
Ok, for Survivability I'd sad Fighter. You are the meatshield. You take it and dish it out. Can't do too much else. Easiest class to play.
For versatility, be a Bard. You can't do any one thing as well as anyone else who specializes, but you can do EVERYTHING. And in 5E there are valor bards, who are good fighters, and scholar bards, who are good at magic. That plus what feats you pick means that a Bard can basically do anything that the party lacks.
But again, won't be as good as someone who focuses on something.
>>
It's really easy. The best class is the same in all editions.

Make an elf druid who has a wolf conpanion. Don't worry about spells, you can just choose whatever you want in the middle of combat.
>>
>>44659122
I wouldn't assume if I were you, people tend to stick to one systen even after updates, my group was playing 3.5 until just last week when we ran a session in 5e
>>
>>44659547
I vaguely remember the guy saying they were using 5 or something like that
>>44659343
Can i use sneaky skills to steal peoples stuff?
Or poison people?
>>
>>44659397
Man, a bard is the one thing I would not recommend for a raw noob. It's a weird class with awkward mechanics and unless you're a naturally swave improvisor it's hard to roleplay.
>>
>>44659827
>sneaky skills
Rogue. And the Assassin archetype lets you poison people and things.
>>
>>44658490
Compounding on what's already been said in the thread, finding out what edition they're playing will help, but really shouldn't matter much in the long run. Unless the group are min/maxing losers, AND playing 3.5 or lower, there shouldn't be a problem with what class you pick. I'd recommend staying away from the heavy spellcasters such as Wizard or Sorcerer since bad spell selection upon levelling up can screw you and leave you behind even if your party members aren't statting their PCs into powerhouses.
Generally all that matters for which class you choose is what type of character you want to play as, and it's fine if some party members end up stronger than others, as long as you're still filling a role and having fun.
>>
ITT: We spoonfeed someone who refuses to google.

And nothing of value was gained. Why do we pretend the hobby is better with people like OP in it?
>>
>>44662272
maybe he's young. everybody's stupid until they learn to be smart.
>>
If playing 3.5 and it's going to be a long continuing campaign start as cleric for 3 levels. Be heal bitch/undead turner.
Then take 3 Wizard levels.
Then prestige into Mystic Theurge.
Every level of it gives you a caster level of cleric and wizard.
You can pretty much cast any spell divine or arcane on the planet.
You'll pretty much be a utility/buff/healing/madman. On top of having abjuration, summoning and transmutation craziness from wizard classes. Pretty much all you need from that.
I used one for a BBEG instead of a super destructo everything min/maxed out 1 dimensional NPC.
I frustrated the party to no fucking end with it.
Literally the most broken OP NPC I've ever had the pleasure of rustling some party jimmies.
He needed no super feats or artifacts.
He just needed 8 hours of uninterrupted rest to prepare his spell slots.
They actually never killed him.
>>
>>44659827
You want Rogue then. Sneaky, stealy, poisony Rogue is totally normal.
>>
>>44662272
I was looking for "muh opinions" more then a walk through.
Sorry for asking what characters people like to play?
>>
>>44659450
Druids don't have animal companions in 5e, silly duck.
>>44662272
If you're not going to contribute, don't post, silly duck.
>>44665809
It sounds like you want an Assassin Rogue. The other options for rogue are Arcane Trickster, which mixes some illusion magic into your abilities, Thief, which is less combat and more skill based, Swashbucker, which is very melee combat based, and Mastermind, which is more of a socially skilled class with lots of manipulative abilities. Stick with Assassin. You'll have fun.

My personal favorite class is the Paladin. I like healing but also smashing. My least favorite class is the Bard.
>>
>>44658490
>My question is, are there "best" characters or classes?

Mystic Pimp.
>>
>>44659827

Like >>44663465 says that's all in the rogue wheelhouse, and when it comes time to pick an archetype Assassin is the most sneaky and poisony of the available options.

This is your first time playing so I wouldn't worry too much about multiclassing at all if you're playing 5e, as it's not really necessary multiclass to play an effective character, but it can be a fun little mini-game of "find the exploit" for more experienced players.

Shadow Monks can also be sneaky but are far less poisony.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.