[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you tweak your favorite setting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

File: lore threads.png (37KB, 853x625px) Image search: [Google]
lore threads.png
37KB, 853x625px
How would you tweak your favorite setting?
>>
Remove Immortal Elves from Shadowrun. Nobody likes them anyway.
>>
>>44627279
I would mash Dragonlance with Greyhawk.

>>44627309
Seconded. Also remove Elminster and the Seven Sisters from FR.
>>
>>44627279

i love book of the new sun!
>>
I'd take out the ancient history of Dark Sun. Mystery is way cooler than "halfling mad scientists."
>>
>>44627309
Thirded. One of them even takes away from the new King Arthur by possibly being the old one.
>>
>>44627279
I would remove all hints regarding the existence of the Transient Divinity from Myth.
>>
>>44627279
Ge rid of the stupid alignment system in DnD.
>>
File: original names.jpg (20KB, 431x304px) Image search: [Google]
original names.jpg
20KB, 431x304px
>>44627279

I'm going to discuss Warcraft here, because I'm qualifying it as my "favorite" setting in it has the potential to be really awesome and have a lot of stuff I like if someone would just take an axe to it. Middle-earth and the Star Wars galaxy don't really need tweaking, but I also wouldn't really want to be in/run a game based off them because reasons.

So to tweak Azeroth

>Keep Titan lore, but make them more mysterious and much more "always felt, never seen"
>Replace regular Horde with Iron Horde
>Make Iron Horde an actual threat; make the reasons they don't simply steamroll everything be something other than "oh well they're also treehugging noble savages and anyone who hates them is a mendacious racist"
>In fact, in Warcraft anyone who calls out Orcs for demanding a home in a world they failed to invade is villainized as a racist. Drop that. I don't need to think Orcs are good guys to think they're cool.
>Remove interdimensional/interplanetary/time travel
>create villains with backstories other than "Sadness made me evil"
>Draenei are cool, but out of place. remove them
>make religions more mystical and inscrutable; axe the "every religion is right" shtick
>Downplay role of dragons. Give them more complex personalities beyond "3 good, 1 crazy, 1 evil"
>There doesn't always have to be a Lich King
>Downplay role of Old Gods.
>The world is not one half red and one half blue. There are numerous "neutral" areas for players to visit.
>As a rule I dislike player race Elves, but since they're A) much more tolerable in this game than in most, and B) they're such a main part of the experience I'd have to say I'd keep them.
>Remove pandas

Basically if you tone down the extreme elements and remove the "Orcs are the REAL heroes!" stuff, the Warcraft universe would make a really great RPG world.
>>
Get rid of Orks. They are an unnecessary comic relief in an otherwise mature and well-made setting.
>>
>>44628321
>"halfling mad scientists."
Fucking spoilers, dude!
>>
File: 1a4.jpg (124KB, 680x759px) Image search: [Google]
1a4.jpg
124KB, 680x759px
>>44628575
>a mature and well-made setting

Even in the beginning, it was a clusterfuck of cultural references and stuff from different settings all mashed into a space fantasy setting. It's not well made at all, whether you think it's good or bad, and it's certainly not mature. It rarely asks any hard questions, and tends to shy away from difficult subjects. You can barely hint at sexual relations anymore.

Orks are one of the many enemies of the 40k universe, and they are a pretty damn good one. Not just humanity and space marines but spikey, not metal skeletons, not space bugs.
>>
>>44628553
tearing down isn't tweaking
>>
>>44627279
I dislike Tyranids. Their concept, and their presentation. I think they don't do anything that two other faction doesn't do either.
>>
>>44628766
You mean Tau
>>
>>44628822
Tau is allright. They aren't yet another "usntoppable force" or "declining civilization" or "ancient something something returning to activity". They show that the Galaxy is being eroded by the powers working against each other inside of it. Evolution didn't stop dead in it's tracks
>>
>>44628865
Besides their obsession with puretide, they seem to be pretty "ok".
>>
>>44628553
>>There doesn't always have to be a Lich King
I thought that part was pretty good.
>>
File: 1427344836216.png (347KB, 383x524px) Image search: [Google]
1427344836216.png
347KB, 383x524px
>>44628575
>40K
>mature and well-made setting

You could have just posted "I'm underage" and conveyed the same information
>>
>>44627279
>Shadowrun
Harlequin and Frosty are long dead, and not missed.
CFD, Dragon Civil War and other shitty Metaplot never happened.
ESPECIALLY the new Matrix Protocols and the resurgence of decks.
More focus is given outside of America, and the AAA corporations.
>>
File: 1420830336322.jpg (39KB, 500x567px) Image search: [Google]
1420830336322.jpg
39KB, 500x567px
>>44629850
What's wrong with decks? I like decks.
>>
>>44627279
Star Wars
>Remove Disney
>>
>>44627279
Get rid of SURGE and changelings.
>>
>>44629850
Decks are cool, but other than that, you're right.

Come to think of it, I've never met anyone who doesn't hate Immortal Elves, so how are they even still a thing?
>>
>>44630043
>>44631482
I liked the concept of Decks back when they were an item from the 50's and 60's. Back when they were massive fucking keytars which you had to plug your brain in to, and used VR or an actual screen.

Back when they were appropriate.

5e Decks are not fucking decks. They make a half-assed effort at putting the old screens and keyboards on, but in all honesty that stuff is worthless with the advent of Augmented Reality and AR Gloves.
What's the point of a keyboard when you can tap on thin air, or think your commands. 4e even had (optional) rules where you were heavily restricted in what you could do if you were relying on manual data imput.
What's the point of screens when almost everyone has some form of AR?

Decks were great when they were an appropriate response to the technology of the times.
However they are not any more in the 70's, and the only way they could possibly make them appropriate is by decreasing the tech level, which is what they have tried to do. Poorly.

>>44631482
They were introduced at the beginning of Shadowrun, and they were involved in one passable (Harlequin's Back) and one decent adventure series (Dawn of Artifacts, so long as you replace Frosty with a less Mary Sue NPC).

Plus all of the writers are shitheads who fellate their old characters, such that Bull should be almost dead by now, but he isn't. Plus Harlequin isn't exactly a Mary Sue, given that nobody can stand him in-universe either.
>>
>>44631482
Do they appear in official runs that often? Been playing SR for years but always had self-made runs so we never met any of the immortal elves (or a dragon), but I can see how they would annoy people.
>>
>>44631716
Harlequin was initially introduced in the adventure Harlequin, where he hires you (from a distance) to be his cat's paws in his elven feud (stupid dick measuring contest) with his rival, the much more tolerable (albeit somewhat evil) Elven Machiavelli, Ehran the Scribe.

After you running around and doing fucking everything for him (how does this prove how cool he is again?) he fucks up a spell, threatens you into helping him fix it, then wanders in at the last minute to defeat the BBEG in a swordfight, throws you the sword, then fucks off with the girl.

In his second (and more tolerable adventure), he's moping around his the shithead he is, when the "Gods" of reality tell him to grow the fuck up, get a pair, and find some heroes who will actually save reality. He does this, then sends you on a trippy metaplanar quest to find the lost queen of an ancient elven city who pure song will hold back a tide of extraplanar abominations who are trying to enter reality through a "bridge" created by the Blood Magic at the center of the ritual site of the Great Ghost Dance.

However after that adventure, FASA (who own Earthdawn, what used to be the prequel to Shadowrun) lost the license, meaning that Shadowrun cannot reference those extraplanar beastiest against (the Horrors). So Harlequin basically lost the only decent plot that he was connected to, basically making him a wandering shitstain who fucks everything up and drives people to hate him.

(cont.)
>>
File: tumblr_ni05fzVTog1row3ieo1_500.jpg (201KB, 500x656px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ni05fzVTog1row3ieo1_500.jpg
201KB, 500x656px
>>44631656
I understand your point, but I am going to keep using my deck anyway. You can even just use AR Gloves to interact with a holographic deck or something, if the idea of a physical deck bothers you so.
>>
>>44631716
He was a mandatory party member in Shadowrun Returns, where he just pops up near the end and forces his way into your party.
>>
>>44631926
Yeah, just keep your deck in a bag or something if you don't want to press buttons.
>>
>>44631906
Harlequin didn't really appear at all in 3e, much to everyone's ecstatic joy, however towards the end of 4e (after all the good writers left), he and his Mary Sue fuckbunny (who's the daughter of that guy he duelled with in the first adventure), have their own little adventure.

Frosty, the utterly perfect and 100% likable (honest) immortal elf (and like, the first one to be born in the 6th world, SO COOL) hires you as bodyguards, despite her overwhelming Magic powers, while she hunts down a lost artifact. The first adventure wasn't that bad, there's a reason she needs help, and you get to do some cool shit in Nigeria.

Then she comes back, and hires you again to find another one. But lo and behold, the only way to track it is to use a ritual which temporarily suppresses her Magic. Oh my, how convenient. It doesn't stop her from being an insufferable bitch, and horrendous moralfag (despite wantonly murdering people). Plus the "villain/rival" tips his fedora and swears to the virtue of this pure maiden, who rolls her eyes and blushes (kinda), then decides to help you against another villain. A guy so fucking powerful he would give the most ardent powergamer a REALLY hard time.

I'm talking Military Grade Power Armour, Blood Magic, internal bomb, ludicrous countermagic, and a barrier spell so strong you need an anti-tank rifle to get rid of it. Which you can't have, because to get to him you need to basically leave all of your good gear behind. And if you have a Troll? They can't come, unless the GM "really wants them to, and says there's a pod large enough for them". So yeah, you've got to accept the bullshit character's help, and let him fight the bad guy, while you try and take down his shitty mercs. Wonderful.

Then in the NEXT adventure, she's not there (for the most part), and it's actually pretty decent. You get hired by Ehran, so does what any good Immortal Elf SHOULD do. Namely, hiring you, then getting the fuck out of the way.

(Cont.)
>>
>>44627279
Star Wars

>Jedi see themselves as righteous warriors instead of peaceful monks. When dueling an enemy who is clearly evil, they will kill them instead of offering redemption.

>more regular people believe in the force

people worship shit based on no evidence and two thousand year old stories, why would they not believe in something with a mountain of evidence and very recent history.

>armor serves as protection
>>
>>44632056
However after a somewhat decent time, she turns up again. This time, she's being chased by an Cthulhu dude from the bad-dimensions, and she can't summon Spirits. Oh noes.

Then there's the last adventure (I think), where so she doesn't bullshit you out of problems, they just hand her a mobile -14 Mana Void talisman which covers her body. To hide with. Or something.

Long story short?
Harlequin's back is decent, because it's a cool metaplanar trip, and Harlequin's a backup character, at best.

Dawn of Artifacts is a great adventure, if you rewrite every part that involves Frosty (it IS a lot), drop the ludicrous Atlantean Foundation Mage, and don't make your party fight the stupid-powerful Blood Mage.
>>
>>44629779

If 40K isn't the coolest setting then why is it so popular? I just read the Horus Heresy books and man its epic. LOL for the Emperor!
>>
Remove Tau.
They add nothing to the setting.
Every faction has their own motivation, each of them has a REASON to do what they do, Tyranids NEED to eat, or they all die. Orks NEED to fight. They were created for that reason and can't shut that part of themselvs down because that would mean disabeling 99.999% of their brain. Eldar just want a place to call home. Dark eldar want to continue with their lustfull lives. Chaos is literally a force of nature and the Imperium is a misguided child, who took the wrong path to the right goals.
But the Tau? They only fight for their greater good. Something that is never really explained and translates as 'I want to feel supperior, and to achieve that I will make you my slaves. Now go get your balls chopped off and work in my mines!' in practice.
To make things even clearer:
Wikipedia defines a Mary Sue as:
an idealized fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities.
Young (check)
Saves the day (check)
Unrealistic abilities (check)
Fuck Tau.
>>
>>44627279
Add more cute girls to it.
>>
>>44633127
okay buddy we get it
it doesn't all have to be grimdark horrors from the beyond
>>
>>44627279
By 3.6 degrees to the left
>>
Remove Elfs and Dwarfs from The Witcher.
>>
Disregard the force awakens, make a series movie about EU as canon.
>>
File: severian03.jpg (111KB, 599x700px) Image search: [Google]
severian03.jpg
111KB, 599x700px
>>44627279
>make a shitposting image
>later you see it in the wild

Nice to see someone using my OC
>>
>>44631998
don't forget that he also fights in melee which at that point is absolutely stupid
>>
File: 1389143880223.gif (2MB, 224x126px) Image search: [Google]
1389143880223.gif
2MB, 224x126px
>>44634741
>make a series movie about EU as canon.
Yeah because if it's one thing we need it's movies and shows based around Dark Empire or fucking Legacy
>>
>>44627279
Ditch that fagot Mordenkainen

Or even better pretty much everybody recognizes him for the arse he is

I already do that though
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.