[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Westerns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: griswold.jpg (51KB, 640x392px) Image search: [Google]
griswold.jpg
51KB, 640x392px
How does /tg/ feel about westerns as tabletop settings? Have any of you actually gotten to play one? Would you want to?

Any suggestions for good systems?
>>
>>44616508
My players have played something of a space western, went excellent. Would gm a party of wannabe Han Solos again
>>
Id recommend Deadlands the Weird west for a Spaghetti Western Comedy Horror Steampunk Fantasy. Its basically 1880s but someone awakened the "Reckoners" and now monsters roam the world and the Civil war continues. The comedy in it comes from its "western" slang and the fact they got thumbs up from the actor of Ashley Williams from Evil Dead and Sam Raimey. I actually have a copy where Ash is talking about how awesome Deadlands is. In the Sister game Deadlands: Hell On Earth which is Post apocalypse of Weird West, he actually is made an NPC along with S-mart.
HoE and Lost colony still feel like westerns BTW. HoE and Weird West are in my top 5 favorite RPGs. With HoE being further up than weird west since every character has a "PANIC, BLOW EVERYTHING UP INCLUDING MYSELF!" button, where as Weird West its mainly just Madscientists and Hucksters.

And for Table Top, Deadlands has 2 Card game lines called Doomtown. Theres also for something like W40k Malifaux which feels like table top deadlands since really the only difference is that their on another planet and that magic is known about by almost everyone.
Decent game too, hard to find players in CA though so I rarely get to play.
>>
File: BigIron.png (68KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
BigIron.png
68KB, 1366x768px
A friend of mine ran a great Deadlands themed GURPS game.

I adapted Pathfinder (Due to laziness and the guns are already there) into a pseudo western/fantasy game. Tech was around Napoleonic to just before the Civil War.
>>
>>44616869
Thats one thing I forget to mention. Deadlands has several different systems. There is

Deadlands Weird West/HoE/Lost Colony 1st-2nd Edition Which is its own system.

Deadlands Weird/HoE/Lost Colony D20

Deadlands Reloaded Which is Savage Worlds

and

Deadlands Gurps
>>
I'm such a sucker for those old cap and ball revolvers...
>>
>>44616924
> Deadlands Weird West/HoE/Lost Colony 1st-2nd Edition Which is its own system.
Is the original deadlands system any good? I'm kinda sorta familiar with savage worlds.
>>
Dogs In The Vineyard is probably my favourite western rpg. The initial basis is mormon roaming sheriffs, and it can be played as dark horror, shoot em up, drama, whatever. The dice mechanics are one of the better narrative devices where players use their abilities as dice to bid for control of events. Bringing in more dice from different skills can escalate, so the consequences of losing are greater, which makes for good tension and bluffing. Main down side is you need a decent amount of all the classic dice (d4-12)

Failing that, the original Deadlands, or Deadlands reloaded would do fine.
>>
>>44617152
How well would deadlands hold up if you stripped the horror/steampunk elements out of it?
>>
>>44617196

I'd be alright but a bit limited in terms of character classes. Nothing mechanically requires ghost-rock or mad science.
>>
>>44617061
Me and my group feel so, its basically savage worlds but with more dice, also you "roll" for stats no mater what. Stat roles are generated by drawing 12 cards from a deck of normal playing cards and assigning them to your attributes. They have a list but its something like: If you draw a Ace of Spades you get 4D12 in one attribute. Also you leave jokers in the deck, they count as D12s and its the only way to start the game as Harrowed without DM house ruling Harrowed being a merit. Since Jokers give you mysterious past which gives you things ranging from Harrowed to Relic.

Also by more dice I mean my Harrowed/Huckster/Madscientist has 6D12+8 Shooting, harrowed helps with that but you can get that number in like a few months to a year.

P.S. BEWARE HUCKSTERS. They will 1 Shot Themselves with blacklightnin' if someone spits on them or 1 Shot the BBEG if they can touch 'em.
>>
>>44617196
I assume you mean strip all Supernal stuff and not just horror/steampunk. If you do the only things you'd have to do is get a map of the US in the 1880s and just tell your players to ignore the games lore. In lore CA is a maze of Islands cause of magic and the Indians have been conquering and keeping land. You might also wanna get rid of Spirit since its main use is for fear checks and without supernal its only going to be used for bloody scenes.
>>
I ran a western setting as the only game I have thus far GM'ed.

It started as your standard cops and robbers type thing with the players RP'ing as the Sheriff and his deputies. I had them roam around the town I drew up settling squabbles, and solving crimes.

After a session or so they occasionally had to travel out of town (as they were the county sheriff) and had them deal with bandit gangs, moonshiners, injuns, morally ambiguous carnies, and the mundane disguised as the supernatural (having to hunt down a sasquatch that was actually an escaped circus gorilla).

The system I used was NWoD, but I was a first time GM just using a system I was familiar with as a basis.
>>
>>44616508
I have found that western is an enhancer genre. On its own westerns are boring and kind of suck but the instant something becomes a something/western it is instantly better.
>>
>>44616869
Did GURPS 1889 with some gunfighters. GURPS does Westerns well.
>>
>>44617406
>NWoD
Red Dead: Vampire the Requiem has been my most enjoyable gaming experience.
The added stress of trying to remain hidden in such small settlements and searching for sustenance and cover in the motherfucking desert certainly humbles the fuck out of any vampire.
>>
>>44616508
Deadlands.

That said, I'd steal the mechanics of A Dirty World and the bidding from Dogs in the Vineyard, maybe throw in a Dread minigame for duels, and Fate's consequences. Then I'd watch Hateful 8 again with the color balance turned to sepia, listen to some Lomax recordings, and burn a little gun oil with bacon.
>>
>a Dread minigame for duels
Make that showdowns and save me a seat!
>>
>>44616869
>I adapted Pathfinder (Due to laziness and the guns are already there) into a pseudo western/fantasy game

what have your players done to you
why would you do this to anyone
>>
>>44622795
Maybe he confused laziness with futility?
I don't see any constellation where using D20 could be considered the easy option. I mean even if you know the system really well and have never seen anything else, learning for instance BRP would be easier than making D20 work. Same for Savage Worlds, or any system that can handle gunfights.
>>
I'm a big fan of Dogs in the Vineyard, but I've used Traveller for a space-western before.
>>
I've always enjoyed Westerns played out in any media, and lately I've had a mind lately to run a western-influenced horror game.
>>
>>44623274
Scary horror or horror themed funny-tropy action?
>>
>>44623303
Genuinely scary or at least eerie and unsettling horror. I'm thinking the PCs get stuck in a ghost town while driving through the Rockies and have to peel back the layers of history and madness all the way back to the town's goldrush roots to discover what happened.
>>
>>44623474
Have you considered playing reveal scenes with flashback characters? I mean the clues could get hard to come by once you've found the newspaper archive, the church book, and the one diary of the time.
>>
>>44621581
>>44621948
Dread minigame?
>>
>>44623474
You can easily do this with Deadlands. If you ban your players from Arcane Backgrounds, remove 2 jokers and 2 Dueces they will be normal folk. It even has adventures pre built like this, though they normally end in a show down. They have rules for Manitous which can easily act as Ghosts and other Supernal. They also have Wendigos, Tremor Worms, Zombies(Possesed by Manitous), Frankensteins monsters, Mi'go (Theres a adventure for Call of Cthulhu crossover), Nosferatu, Dracula, Werewolves .etc And if you take stuff from other Deadlands lines like HoE and Lost Colony you can add: Alien Liches, BloodWolves, Mutants, Humanoid Worms, Zombie Cyborgs, Terminators, Bruce Cambell and many more. With their Fear Level and Guts check system you can easily pull off campy horror (I'm looking at you Bruce Cambell S-Mart and MadMax suplements) or just strait up Horror, like Adios a Mi'go.
Though the Guts system may blow up in your face, cause your PCs WILL roll and CAN get a heart attack from encountering something supernal, my groups had 3 PCs die of heart attacks from Bloodwolves and Mojave Rattlers(Tremors Worm but the size of a train).
>>
>>44625659
It's Jenga, and when it falls you die.
>>
>>44625659
>Dread minigame?
It uses a Jenga tower. The first person to collapse the tower loses the conflict.
>>
>>44626213
>>44626214
>posted the same second

That is some hardcore Jengamind.
>>
>>44626213
>>44626214
consecutive-five
>>
>>44626225
>>44626226
Desyncronizing though, now we're 1 sec apart. Although still consecutive.
>>
>>44626244
Does this mean that we just avoided collapsing this timeline?

Or does it mean that we just collapsed somebody else's timeline...
>>
>>44626261
I think it means the time line collapsed, we had a crazy Darko adventure rebuilding it, and then we forgot all about it when it reconnected with consistent reality. And we also forgot our friendship...
>>
>>44626292
That would explain why I have this unfamiliar keychain in my pocket.

It was good knowing you, bro.

I think.
>>
File: 2445152153_4a892eae01.jpg (61KB, 357x500px) Image search: [Google]
2445152153_4a892eae01.jpg
61KB, 357x500px
>>44626305
Me too.

Also, what is this?
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.