[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Playing an intelligent sword?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: talwarhilt.png (420KB, 636x553px) Image search: [Google]
talwarhilt.png
420KB, 636x553px
Are there any ways in 3.5 to play as an an intelligent weapon that possesses a host?
>>
>>44611533
I suppose. I don't have my DM manual with me, but IIRC the rules for creating intelligent objects allows for different power levels, that include starting PC level.
A cool DM will allow it, and an intelligent DM will find ways to make it balanced.

The biggest question IMO is : How do you justify the sword gaining levels ?
On a sidenote, there is a quest about an intelligent sword being run on /tg/ right now >>44610661
>>
Why not just ask your GM and he'll handwave it?
>>
File: cleaver.jpg (331KB, 1024x508px) Image search: [Google]
cleaver.jpg
331KB, 1024x508px
>>44611928
I the sword just has whatever levels and classes the intelligence has. With a spell like ability to temporarily learn knowledge of the host, but no permanent knowledge of the host.
>>
File: gunsword.jpg (256KB, 1296x972px) Image search: [Google]
gunsword.jpg
256KB, 1296x972px
>>44612052
If there's an established structure that isn't horsefucked I'd like to use that because it has a better chance of approval by the DM.

No that I don't think I couldn't make a case for it, it would just be easier to tweak existing rules if it doesn't work the way I want than homebrewing an entire system.
>>
>>44611533
why everyone want to play an intelligent sword? why is there never an autist sword? or just a slightly retarded one?
>>
File: gunknife.jpg (23KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
gunknife.jpg
23KB, 500x282px
>>44612752
Don't have to be emotionally intelligent.
>>
File: 1445108243599.jpg (45KB, 795x995px) Image search: [Google]
1445108243599.jpg
45KB, 795x995px
>>44611533
i'd go with >>44612052 on this one if i were you, OP
>>
>>44613049
so the sword doesn't fight with a sword?
and how weird would it be for it to fight with a sword like a man fighting with a puppet?
>>
>>44611533
There's a ruleset for posession in the book of vile darkness, if you'd like to check up on that.
>>
>>44611533
Just checked the 3.5 dungeon master guide, play an intelligent/cursed item with a good ego score, and you'll be able to control your host most of the time.
The book got powers, skills, fight for control, and drawbacks. It's everything that you need.
>>
>>44612752
How about a sword of average intelligence but somewhat robotic personality, who doesn't fully control its host or impart any fighting skill onto them, and tends to forget that humans feel pain and need sleep?
>>
>>44611928

Weapons of Legacy
>>
>>44611533
yeah check the rules for intelligent magic items in the dmg it does not explicitly mention playing as one but it can all apply.
>>
>>44611533
A ninja warforge that can tranform into a sword. There was a build to make a ninja warforged that could transform as almost anything. Don't remember which setting was.
>>
Why don't you just say "by the way, my character is controlled by his intelligent sword"?

There's no way your DM will be able to disprove you. Even if he says "Nuh uh" you just say "well, my character thinks he is".
Done.

You don't need ANY rules for this at all.
>>
>>44618827
Eberron using Animated Object as a Construct.
>>
>>44621637
The details, as best as I recall, are that the Ninja Spy prestige class grants Alter Self at will, which a Warforged can then use to transform into any construct within one size category of itself. This includes, as mentioned, the various animated objects.
>>
File: quadruplegunspear.jpg (95KB, 400x261px) Image search: [Google]
quadruplegunspear.jpg
95KB, 400x261px
>>44620340
Because the sword would be magical and that would be a potentially significant advantage at lower levels giving him drawbacks like limited control when not being worn or held by his host would be interesting.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.