[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Innistrad set >Victorian horror with various horror tropes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

File: stf157_coverImage[1].jpg (83KB, 600x418px) Image search: [Google]
stf157_coverImage[1].jpg
83KB, 600x418px
>Innistrad set
>Victorian horror with various horror tropes
>Beast hunters as a member of a dying church
>Suddenly Shadows over Innistrad
>Clearly going to be Lovecraft-inspired

Is Wizards seriously ripping off Bloodborne?
>>
This is not even bait, it's just nothing.
>>
>>44602333
The similarities are a little suspicious, but I reckon we should wait it out to see how far it goes.
>>
File: WREATH_OF_GEISTS[1].png (271KB, 512x376px) Image search: [Google]
WREATH_OF_GEISTS[1].png
271KB, 512x376px
>>44602347
How is it bait? Is it really a coincidence that they do both victorian horror and now lovecraftian horror in the same setting? This is not a regular mixture, anon.
>>44602374
I don't personally mind it, I think it's really fucking cool. But still, are we really just going to get Bloodborne: The Set?

Has there been any spoilers?
>>
>>44602333
Given Bloodborne clearly ripped off Innistrad and Ravenloft, it's only fair even if they do.
>>
File: Intangible-Virtue-Art[1].jpg (267KB, 1400x980px) Image search: [Google]
Intangible-Virtue-Art[1].jpg
267KB, 1400x980px
>>44602347
>>44602333
To continue my point, watch this trailer: https://youtu.be/Jm8CdY75K-s

>giant moon as focus
>blood motif
>eldritch bending of reality
>the bent object is a symbol of the Cathars
>the fucking name is SHADOWS OVER INNISTRAD

What the fuck is Wizards doing.
>>
>>44602421
They're going to seal Emrakul into the moon by using Tamiyo's skills and Jace's middling hedron proficiency. You can screen this.
>>
>>44602416
Ripping off Ravenloft? I can believe this. Ripping off Inninstrad not so much since BB was being developed already when Artorias of the Abyss DLC for dark souls came out.
Inninstrad and Bloodborne just happened to have roughly the same inspiration, namely Lovecraft . Now of course we can not know if Eldrazi were planned to show up on Inninstrad when the first set came out, hough I guess so.
>>
>>44602439
>You can screen this.
What do you mean.
>>44602456
Innistrad is not inspired really by Lovecraft, most of it focuses on vampires, zombies and werewolves. There is so little representation of 'madness'.
>>
>>44602481
Well given how now there will be eldritch horrors it is clear that Lovecraft is somewhere in the picture.
>>
>>44602481
He means screencap it, as evidence of his prediction.

>>44602481
Lovecraft's work was less about the insanity, and more about the dark and terrible knowledge of the existence of lovecraftian entities.
>>
>>44602481
He means you can screen the post to make a "we saw this coming" if that turns out to be the plot.

Also >no madness in Inninstrad, dude what?
>>
>>44602439
>Nissa ruins sorins attempts to prevent the releasing of the eldrazi
>Sorin washes his hands of her and the entire situation, and goes back to innistrad
>Nissa and friends send the eldrazi to innistrad
Sorin is going to be so unbelievably pissed.
>>
>>44602481
>What do you mean.
You can screenshot this to compare it later with what'd actually happen.
>>
File: 1446573303879.jpg (31KB, 638x540px) Image search: [Google]
1446573303879.jpg
31KB, 638x540px
>>44602439
>>44602481
Ah now I see what you mean. That would make a lot of sense if it were only for one slight flaw in your theory
>more than one blue planeswalker in a single block
>mfw
>>44602495
Well yes, now it is obvious it will be the focus.
>>44602513
>Also >no madness in Inninstrad, dude what?
The ratio of 'madness' to 'victorian horror was practically 15:1. I remember the one card with the man staring into the mirror, I seriously cannot remember any other 'madness' cards.
>>44602538
Yeah I got it, it was just worded oddly. I thought he meant something like 'this should be obvious'.
>>
>>44602528
Yay for Sorin v Nissa duel deck?

Sorin v Nissa, Jace v Tibalt.

I'd actually love an Ob Nixilis v Tibalt deck.
>>
But how will this new set affect the Drafting scene?
>>
>>44602564
Well, you don't need to _reprint_ both of them, especially since Jace has a fucklot of cards already, and Tamiyo doesn't have even two.
>>
File: 1403175754618.jpg (95KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1403175754618.jpg
95KB, 900x900px
>>44602584
Yeah but judging by the promo art for the set, they want to make Jace into some investigator type, like in Shadows over Innsmouth. He's practically guaranteed a new card, just like Garruk got his own Innistrad-themed card.
>>
>>44602564
>I seriously cannot remember any other 'madness' cards.
Delver?
>>
>>44602603
Oh well. No Tamiyo then. It's sure sad.
>>
>>44602611
That didn't really seem like madness, more like desperation. The whole "have no funds or ability to test further, so must test first hand" is a standard trope that isn't really tied to 'madness'.
>>44602630
It sucks too, Tamiyo is a good character that never seems to be used.
>>
>>44602564
Wasn't there one enchantment that boosted your creature if you only had one and the flavor text was some hermit complaining about the cawing of the crows making him not able to hear the voices in his head?
>>
>>44602681
Ah found it.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=240039
>>
>>44602688
Oh and this gem.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=240119
>>
>>44602333
>>44602333
>>44602333
>>44602333
Holy fucking christ.

Magic sets have already had the basic plot, themes, locations etc. plotted out starting two years before their release (or even sooner).

Coincidental. Same thing was said when Avatar came out around the original Zendikar.
>>
>>44602333
Surely Innistrad came before Bloodborne?

Personally, I think Lovecraft and weird fiction as a whole is having a renascence; lots of games and media now have Lovecraftian elements to it, and properties from that time period like Conan and John Carter (however badly those films may have been) are being revived. Which is great for me as I've always been a fan.

But as yet, its something people don't tend to talk about or recognise which is kind of creepy on a meta level.
>>
>>44602708
See
>>44602456
So no, not really before. Though I don't think they are copying each other.
>>
I so want to run a D&D game set in Innistrad.
>>
>>44602740
Indeed, in which case it's just synchonicity; I doubt the devs of Bloodborne were sharing with WOTC.
>>
>>44602802
Ravenloft. You are welcome.
>>
>>44602574
>Ob Nixilis v Tibalt

Stop, I can want this only so much.
>>
>>44602495
>eldritch horrors
Then just about everything fantasy or sci-fi is ripping off Lovecraft.
>>
>>44602708
The problem is that it's only the most superficial aspects of Lovecraftian/weird fiction being used recently.

Almost every comment by wizards employees on the subject shows they know nothing of the actual source material.
>>
>>44602456

>Inninstrad
>lovecraft

Fuck off. Its gothic horror, it has no lovecraft in it. BB combined gothic with cosmic, Inninstrad doesn't.
>>
>>44603430
>shadow over inninstrad
"Fuck off"
>>
>>44603372
Indeed true, Bloodborne was closer but Innistrad and the Eldarzi are more Hammer horror and Sci-fi (respectively) than Lovecraft.

There other things good things that are coming out of it though.
>>
>>44603451
it's "shadows over innistrad" the story was "the shadow over inssmouth," and it isnt the originator of that phrase anyway.

you think it's gonna feature new englanders who look like fishpeople as an analogue for the Despicable Other (read: nigger)? there are a whole fucking lot of lovecraftian tropes they could have drawn on for a title if that was their intention. not to mention, we've already seen plenty of eldritch horrors in MTG, so there's literally no reason for this nonsensical speculation.
>>
File: krunk bait.png (23KB, 500x294px) Image search: [Google]
krunk bait.png
23KB, 500x294px
>>44602421
>only bloodborne can have eldritch creatures and a moon theme
>implying innistrad didn't have a lunar theme before bloodborne in the form of werewolves

>the bent object is a symbol of the Cathars
>the fucking name is SHADOWS OVER INNISTRAD
neither of these have any relevance to bloodborne you fucking retard, christ. you claim you're not baiting but I highly doubt someone could be this intentionally retarded
>>
>>44602887
and remember that sorin has to put on hold whatever he was plotting to recover innistrad just to fight tibalt, since he felt that tibalt is a potentially greater menace.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.