[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cooperative Games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: Eldrich.jpg (810KB, 2212x2188px) Image search: [Google]
Eldrich.jpg
810KB, 2212x2188px
I've been looking for board games that don't actively pit the players against each other, but rather put them together to fight a common goal. I've played a few board games like this, like Pandemic, but I was wondering what games you've all been playing that are cooperative.
>>
>>44578526
Golden Sky Stories
>>
>>44578526
Our group loves playing Ghost Stories
>>
>>44578540
This one does seem pretty fun, what with it being inherently non-violent from what I can tell.

>>44578619
I've seen this at the game store I go to. What's the rundown of it? You're protecting a village, yeah?
>>
>>44578701
Yeah pretty much, ghost spawn, you and your friends use kung-fu on them until the boss fights.

Either it's a tough game or the group I play with is rather shit and we win a game maybe once every 30 plays.
>>
>>44578526
Arkham Horror is fun stuff, mate.
>>
>>44578526
Mice and Mystics is pretty good.
>>
>>44578526
Pandemic is great. Shadows over Camelot is fun for people who love fiddly little minis but it does have a traitor element that sours collaboration a bit.

Are there any particular co-opt board games that are easy to learn but rely heavily on each person communicating and carrying their weight? I'm looking for something like that to act as a teaching aide for my students.
>>
File: Geiger Counter.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Geiger Counter.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>44578901
>>44578619
>Ghost Stories

It's really luck based, even if you play optimally (i.e. you all listen to the most experienced player so you have no actual choices to make) the dice will fuck you nine times out of ten.

Castle Panic is a similar game, but more winnable. Also has a smidgen of competition between the players, which I think adds a lot to a coop game.

Eldritch\Arkham Horror is pretty good. Best when reading everything in your spookiest voice.

The Battlestar Galactica boardgame and Shadows Over Camelot are traitor-mechanic coop games. You might have a traitor, might not, either way you've got to complete certain objectives. Haven't actually played them but they're usually held up as really good at what they try to do.

Geiger Counter is a coop RPG where you play as characters in a survival horror. It's pretty good.
>>
File: g02.jpg (346KB, 1200x1744px) Image search: [Google]
g02.jpg
346KB, 1200x1744px
>>44579100
>Geiger Counter
>>
>>44579100
>Eldritch\Arkham Horror is pretty good.
Only if you like shit 'games' because it's cross and circle with obstacle cards and no winner.

>>44579100
>The Battlestar Galactica boardgame and Shadows Over Camelot are traitor-mechanic coop games. You might have a traitor, might not,
I can't speak for SoC, but in BSG you always have at least one traitor, maybe 2. And there are different strategies, some of which say it's best to reveal yourself early.
>>
>>44578526
Shadows of Brimstone is a good co-op dungeon crawler
>>
I played Forbidden Desert last night.
It seemed pretty good. Very easy to learn.
>>
>>44579853
Looked fun on Tabletop, could have been the guests though.
>>
>>44578972
Preach it brother! I love AH
>>44579442
THIS! Holy shit this. I can't shill this game hard enough. It's so bloody fun. And if you've got TTS, I'm always down for a game

My personal solo/Coop go to's
>Shadow of Brimstone
>Arkham Horror
>Mage Knight
>Runebound
>WoW (with solo rules)
>BSG (with expansions)
>>
Elder Sign is really fun if you want to play something like Arkham Horror without spending an hour just to set the game up.

Pandemic is also really run, especially if you up the difficulty.

A Touch of Evil is also super fun and can be played both co-op and competitively. It's based on the whole Sleepy Hollow schtik and has loads of content to play. The downside is that it takes a bit to set up.

These were the games my old gaming group played when players were missing and we couldn't do our 3.5 game.
>>
>>44578526

Arkham Horror is my favorite but if someone doesn't know the rules very well it can be a serious time investment (I've run through 8 person tables in 3-4 hours but stories abound of 6-8+ hour sessions). I haven't played Eldritch Horror yet, I've heard it refines a lot of things but loses a lot in the process so buyer beware there. Arkham is very hard as well, definitely don't get it if you're expecting an easy time. The base game isn't too difficult to learn and provides a fair challenge, the expansion really ratchet it up though (particularly gate bursts, you'll see what I mean when you get there if you haven't already).

I didn't much care for Pandemic but Defenders of the Realm is basically the same thing done in a slightly more interesting way. That could be worth looking into for something similar.

>>44579418

Arkham isn't really THAT random, there are a lot of cards drawn and dice rolled but most of it happens after the player makes decisions and then prompts even more decisions in response. If you just stumble around town without any sense of strategy or urgency you'll probably lose and if you take the time to formulate a plan and execute it while accounting for unexpected surprises you'll probably win. That wouldn't happen if the game was all luck or had shallow decisions.
>>
>>44580202
Yeah, no. Your choices are pretty much limited to: Do I make a run for power ups now or do I have to take care of something else right fucking now? And the answer is always: The latter.
>>
>>44579002
It's really not. It's a badly designed game.
>>44578526
Try Gears of War, whether you like the source material or not, the board game is still great.
>>
>>44580242

If that were true then experienced players wouldn't be able to consistently win. Since they can, clearly you're doing something wrong and just blaming the game instead of trying to learn.

For one thing you usually shouldn't be running for gear in the middle of the game, that's a pretty early move. Once you scavenge what you can at the start it's usually time to get moving, which varies based on party composition and events but usually means assigning some people to portal duty (and thus having only them collect clues) and some on keeping the monsters in check. Different gates have different probabilities of showing up as well, so you need to prioritize those properly as well as assessing the risk of the other world you would need to move through. There's knowing which monsters you can't take in a fight and coming to terms with the ones that are just going to walk the streets until a gate goes, there's knowing when to go for a quick close even when you can't seal the spot just to buy time, there's knowing when you can afford to heal or cash in trophies, properly readying your skills, there's dealing with the other events that might pop up and with managing the abilities of the GOO. It's not chess but it's definitely not brainless.
>>
File: 1434807491059.jpg (171KB, 1232x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1434807491059.jpg
171KB, 1232x1080px
>>44578972
>Arkham Horror
>Cooperative Game
>He doesn't achieve "Joining the Winning Team"
>>
>>44578526
I found Robinson Crusoe to be a good co-op game.
>>
Big Book of Madness. It is a coop deck builder with a Harry Potter meets Cthulhu theme.
>>
>>44578526
FFG Arkham games for most of the time. But my group also have hots for Gears of War.
>>
>>44579913
Forbidden Desert/Island are both decent but there is a big random factor to your parties success.

It's quick to set up and paly though so if you do get screwed over it's easy to reset and try again.
>>
>>44579096
Book of Madness isn't exactly easy to learn, you'll need a test session or two to get the hang of it, but it pretty much requires communication and co-operation to win.
>>
Rise of the Zombies!
>>
>>44579151
Did quzilax do anything new recently?
>>
Grizzled and Samurai Spirit are pretty good.

You'll very rarely win at The Grizzled though.
>>
Am I the only person who doesn't enjoy cooperative board games? I just can't have any fun helping my friends beat a deck of cards.
>>
Kingdom Death.

Accept no substitutes.
>>
>>44583302
No, you're not.
Schadenfreude or bust.
>>
Zombicide

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.