[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you had the opportunity to be a professional athlete, would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

If you had the opportunity to be a professional athlete, would you maximize your wealth or the number of championships?
>>
I'd go full Revis desu. Win my championship then coast off of that with my position's highest paid contract
>>
Number of Championships. If you're winning, you're earning big money anyway. If you make 10 million instead of 30, you're not starving. But those titles will last for as long as your sport does.
>>
>>65128385
Wealth. I'd rather be Charles Barkley than Stacey King.
>>
>>65128482
If you are a mediocre player on a championship team, you're not getting paid, your salary is going to the superstars. Granted, it's all relative when a mediocre player can make mid-six figures at a minimum.
>>
>>65128482
>those titles will last for as long as your sport does
Tell that to Reggie Bush.
>>
Championships lead to wealth you big baka.
>>
>>65128615

Not if you're a role player who prioritizes titles over money and takes pay cut year after year to come off the bench when the MVP gets tired.
>>
>>65128430
This
>>
>>65128385
Championships.
>>
>>65128385
It depends on my role in winning the championships. If I was just some random nobody that got very few minutes or impact on the games...I'd take wealth over championships. But if you're saying I at least had a David Tyree moment in each game, then I'd go championships over wealth. The only way I'd go rings over wealth is if I had the option of having the most a la Bill Russell.

>>65128482
>>65128615
>implying Adam Morrison or Luke Walton was making "big money"
>>
Why do athletes even get paid millions of dollars when the real heroes like our troops or schoolteachers don't get jack?
>>
>>65131000

Because any loser can be a troop or a school teacher. Most people aren't born with the genetics and drive to be a full-time athlete.
>>
>>65131037
Athletes don't sacrifice as much as soldiers or teachers.
>>
>>65131000
There's like 2k NFL players, compares that to our military size.
>>
>>65131091
All the more reason that the larger groups should be better compensated
>>
>>65128385
Championships for sure. I would rather be a Manu Ginobili type player who makes decent contributions off the bench and wins the big ring multiple times. As opposed to a Carmelo Anthony type player who makes max contract money but has never been to the Finals. I wouldn't even know what to do with 20 million dollars a year, even if I was a millionaire I would still live in a studio apartment, have no kids or gf/wife, and drive a $5,000 motorcycle. Role player money could easily last me 5 to 10 lifetimes, so the rings would be more important.
>>
>>65131000
Because we don't value those professions.
>>
>>65131000
because no one is shelling out $100 to watch a schoolteacher teach 4th grade history for 4 hours
>>
>>65131000

More selective. It's harder to become a pro athlete than a soldier or teacher
>>
>>65131000

holy fuck I hate this opinion so much
>>
>>65131000
It's capitalism you communist bernkuck
>>
"muh chamionships" is such a fan answer. You get the money. If I can pick between a big money contract on the Browns or less money on the patriots im picking the Browns.
>>
>>65131179
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPfxHk0RQDM
>>
>>65128615
>be scrub on entry level contract barely win a ring
>get traded
>get game ending injury
i would rather be a free agent getting paid
>>
>>65131121
>>65131125
>>65131133
>>65131139
>>65131154
'no'
>>
>>65131179
it's pretty subjective Sasuke, some people prefer a metric shitload of money, and others prefer just a shitload of money
>>
>>65131216
*career ending injury
>>
>>65128385

Chips. At least I would die happy knowing I contributed to something meaningful rather than just being remembered for stats. I'd choose Mike Miller over Carmelo Anthony
>>
>>65131216
> be a free agent, make slightly more.

get injured all the same

injuries can happen any time. slightly more money for what? nothing. nothing to show for it
>>
Honestly, the only way I'd take less money is if I got to play in Chicago (grew up here). I've lived in other cities and it sucks not knowing your way around or what's going on in town.

Hometown discount, just for QoL. Of course we can all be bought.

>im never going to be a professional athlete so why do I care
>>
>>65131000

Firefighters, schoolteachers and troops aren't supposed to be doing their jobs for the money. They should get paid more, but making it a multi million dollar job is retarded.

>I didn't get a contract extension so I guess I'll let this poor sucker die in the house fire
>>
>>65131262
your stock portfolio shows for it when you never have to work another day in your life compared to niggas that have rings and go broke
>>
>>65131179
>Japanese man in it for the money
Nothing new.
>>
>>65131000
>>65131125
When Ms Adams the third grade teacher can sell out yankee stadium 50 times a year she can get for $
>>
>>65131280
You can invest the money you made in the other scenario as well tho....you can make the EXACT same being a free agent journeyman scrub.

also you guys forget you can sell the ring if you really need to
>>
I guess I'm an asshole because I'm going with money.

It's great to win, but after I retire I don't want to have to grovel back to fucking Turner sports for a casting gig. Give me my money, let me invest it, if you need me to speak at something sure, but otherwise leave me the fuck alone.
>>
>>65131280
>Stock portfolio

Kek. Most guys with rings went broke with stock portfolio's too brah
>>
in communist sports in america you have to make this decision.

in real sports like soccer, you usTSUUUUUUUally win championships while making the most money too.
>>
>>65131314
Soccer isn't capitalist, it's slavery
>>
>>65131179

I'm a poor fag and I'd be happy earning $10-15 mil over the course of my career. Unless you are totally irresponsible with your money, it'll be hard to burn through it.
>>
Money. We're talking like full-blown Roger Dorn tier. A championship would be a nice bonus, but I'd rather not run the risk of ending up bankrupt 3 years after I'm retired and having to sell everything to afford a fucking hamburger.
>>
>>65131280
>go broke
dude the minimum salary in the NBA is like 750,000 dollars a year. that's enough to last me at least 3 comfortable lifetimes. granted I'm pretty low maintenance and smart with my money, whereas most of those guys are just dumb niggers
>>
The highlight reel. Every fucking time.
>>
File: mao-communist.jpg (168KB, 1280x732px) Image search: [Google]
mao-communist.jpg
168KB, 1280x732px
>>65131000
This is the future you chose, senpai.
>>
>>65131360

Don't think you're some special snowflake and that all professional athletes are just stupid. Granted some are just dumb with their money. There's nothing stopping you from making a poor investment, accidently knocking up a gold digger or being leeched by your family and friends and turning broke just like the vast majority.
>>
>>65131360
>>65131410
watch broke on netflix, guys dont want to give their cash to jews and make a 2% return they want to give it to uncle Tyrone who will double their money
>>
>>65131445
Hi there Mr. Madoff. How's prison?
>>
>>65131000
Because there's more money in the industry from advertising and television deals etc
If the Troops or teachers were broadcast on tv for entertainment in millions of households around the world they'd get paid a lot too
>>
>>65131410
I wouldn't make any investments, I'm fine with fucking a $200 prostitute once a month, and I don't have many friends or family. I'm confident that I would make a million dollars last me my whole life and die with 500 grand leftover.
>>
>>65131057
You shouldn't go into either profession asking for thank yous every step of the way
>>
File: great-argument-bro.png (1MB, 800x773px) Image search: [Google]
great-argument-bro.png
1MB, 800x773px
>>65131221
>>
>>65131672
you'd use that money to try a million dollar prostitute just once and then you're hooked
>>
Championships. Even a relatively small contract in a professional sports league would still be enough to allow me to live a comfortable life after retiring from sports and moving on to something else. Plus, winning 3-4+ championships, especially if I were an integral part of the team, would leave a nice legacy for me that making huge amounts of money and never winning a championship wouldn't.
>>
>>65131000
>11(eleven) replies
6/10 good bait
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.