[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey Would it be possible to "cure" sleep? If so,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1436388417329.jpg (323KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1436388417329.jpg
323KB, 1280x720px
Hey
Would it be possible to "cure" sleep? If so, in our lifetimes?
>>
>>9095355
A new drug entering the market called 'caffeine' should see advancement in the field.
>>
>>9095355
No, you fucking retard.
Your brain needs sleep and sleep is enjoyable.
Take a shit load of uppers and caffeine, report back just how fucked you are in a month.
Danke.
>>
>>9095430
Just cuz it's not currently possible doesn't mean it will never be possible. We just have to replicate the chemical and neurological effects of sleep while keeping the subject alive.
Or maybe we can do the dolphin-type thing and have one hemisphere sleep while the other one is awake, and vice versa.
>>
>>9095444
>That post when you don't even understand basic human biology.
Sure, Jimmy, sure.
>>
>>9095355
wasn't there a doctor who episode like this, all gimmicky, sleepnomore?
>>
>>9095444
there really should be a basic college core class requirement to post here. Have you taken any college level bio classes?
>>
>>9095453
>>9095500
Please tell me why it is fundamentally impossible.
>>
I thought I read somewhere that humans have to sleep to dream and that if they go too long without dreaming it comes to them when they are awake - like full blown waking dreams, hallucinations - I know dreams might be off-topic for this but dreams/sleeps are related.

TLDR people have to sleep and I don't think that is going to change
>>
>>9095517
tell me how one would "replicate the chemical and neurological effects of sleep" without sleeping. Your brainwaves actively change to a different state when sleeping, a necessary recovery state. If you were to "replicate the chemical and neurological effects of sleep", you would be asleep.
Here's what happens if you cannot fully enter a sleep cycle.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_familial_insomnia
>>
>>9095517
see
>>9095531
>>
File: howhorrifying.png (117KB, 444x440px) Image search: [Google]
howhorrifying.png
117KB, 444x440px
>>9095575
>As of 2016, no cure or treatment has yet been found for FFI.
>It has been proven that sleeping pills[clarification needed] and barbiturates are unhelpful; on the contrary, in 74% of cases, they have been shown to worsen the clinical manifestations and hasten the course of the disease.[12][disputed – discuss]
>in a bid to provide temporary relief in the later stages of the disease, physicians induced a coma with the use of sedatives, to no avail as his brain still failed to shut down completely.
>>
>>9095575
>tell me how one would "replicate the chemical and neurological effects of sleep" without sleeping.
I don't know how, I just don't think the possibility of that should be dismissed outright.
>If you were to "replicate the chemical and neurological effects of sleep", you would be asleep.
There could be other ways to reach the same result. Just like you don't need a kidney to replicate the chemical effects of a kidney (i.e. dialysis), and many other medical procedures. A big part of medicine is artificially replicating something your body should do naturally but doesn't, it's not that ridiculous to apply the same process to sleep IMO.
Yes, I know about fatal insomnia, of course it's not just about stopping people from sleeping but also about keeping them alive and healthy while doing so.
I'm not OP by the way.
>>
File: 1501829894879.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1501829894879.gif
2MB, 300x225px
>>9095597
a way to artificialy replicate sleep is by knocking yourself out.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.