[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that gravity waves have been discovered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

File: alcubierre-warp-drive-overview.jpg (158KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
alcubierre-warp-drive-overview.jpg
158KB, 1024x768px
how long before some genius invents the warp drive?
>>
Or detect gravity distortions by passing aliens.
>>
>>7851509
>muh beaner drive
enjoy blasting your destination with retardedly powerful em
>>
>>7851533
not really. the ship merely has to discharge the em in sequential decelerating steps
>>
>>7851524
they're already here, watching us.
>>
>>7851548
show us evidence
>>
>>7851565
Here you go
>>>/x/
>>
>>7851579
but that's the rp board anon
>>
What's all this about gravity waves? Can someone explain it to me in plebe terms?
>>
>>7851606
they are like waves and stuff
>>
>>7851606
wibbly-wobbly spacey-wacey
>>
>>7851619
>>7851996
ok thanks
>>
>>7851606
timey wimey
>>
>>7851509
Image is wrong. You're not accelerating or travelling through time, you're just contracting spacetime so the effective distance is shorter.
>>
File: 1385674202559.png (75KB, 983x1013px) Image search: [Google]
1385674202559.png
75KB, 983x1013px
>>7851509
>wings on a spaceship
>>
>>7852133
What if you need to steer through a nebula?
>>
>>7852164
The distance between particles is too big it's not an atmosphere.
>>
File: kaczynski_afp_book1962_300.jpg (27KB, 203x300px) Image search: [Google]
kaczynski_afp_book1962_300.jpg
27KB, 203x300px
>>7852133
>his spaceship isn't 1STO
>>
>>7852177
But you will be travelling much quicker in space than on Earth, so it will seem like it's an atmosphere as thick as Earth's.
>>
>>7852061
Its not wrong, that's what nasal actually believes.

Gravity wave detection still doesn't prover the existence of negative mass/energy, which is depicted in the picture and necessary for the drive to work
>>
>>7852189
lol
>>
I read about this in a book called The Science of Doctor Who in 2007, I was 10 then so I didn't understand it fully.

Anyone recommended some further reading about it?
>>
>>7851509
According to this picture, giant gravity buildups form behind the warp drive. Wouldn't using this engine destroy whatever platform you took off from?
>>
>>7852133

If it's single stage to orbit and you need to enter an atmosphere you do. But really you just use shuttle crafts like in star trek to enter planets, massive spaceships would be impractical anyways.
>>
>>7852768
>What is acceleration?
>>
>>7852768
see >>7852791
also, is it too hard to fathom the ship using conventional means to leave the atmosphere then activating the drive in space?
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (52KB, 1207x531px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
52KB, 1207x531px
>>7851548
>>7851565
They're not allowed to contact us until we invent the warp drive, because of the Prime Directive
>>
>>7852890
But wouldn't a drive like this crush whole solar systems if not more? I mean we are talking here about unleashing the mass of a huge star or even a black hole. I'm not sure if this is really a good idea.
>>
>>7852897
space is very empty
>>
>>7852133
What reaction is this image trying to convey?
>>
>>7852902
Yes but I think it would be a bit unpractical when you need to leave the solar system first, before you can start up your engine. And on your destination you'd need to be even more careful because of some potential side effects of picking up dust on your trip.
>>
>>7852912
its a deep meme
>>
make warp drive real so we can colonize da galaxy n shitttt
>>
>>7851606
i think its just a confirmation that gravity propagates in the form of waves as opposed to instantaneously.

i.e. mass deforms(?) space time but the deformation is not instant. if mass moves or jolts, its new centre of gravity is not felt until that information or deformation of space time or whatever travels to you. so it must have a speed (assumed light speed) and if it travels through space in the form of a wave, it must interfere with other waves etc.

what they basically did was shoot 2 lasers between 2 points and just sat there waiting for a gravitic anomaly to change the width of the space between the 2 lasers. the compression or expansion is absurdly small; less than the width of an atom or something like that, so its hard to measure a wave/gravitic disturbance passing by.

doesn't mean we will suddenly manipulate gravity or anything like that. everything i've seen in the news has been shit hype. still a great discovery though.
>>
>>7851509
it'll be invented by Kim Hyun-Woo and his (still a virgin) Seong Soo-young
>>
The discovery of gravity waves does not let us invent a warp drive. However, it does get us closer to a theory of quantum gravity which would help us determine if warp drives are or are not possible
>>
>>7851606
its bullshit for physicists to keep publishing and keep their jobs.
>>
>>7851548
ayy lmao
>>
>>7851606
dude waves lmao
>>
>>7851606
So there's two black holes, right? They were just chillin there next to each other. Then in an instant they accidentally into one. Also this was trillions of years ago.
>>
>>7852133
>not making your spaceship out of cathedrals
heretic, pls.
>>
>>7851509
how can you affect the space around the ship without affecting the ship itself? how could there be a space unaffected in this contraction for the ship to exist in, that is both behind the contracted space and in front of the expanding space?
>>
warp drive toilets
>>
>>7852752
>>>pbskids.org
>>
>>7853529
When that gravitation wave hit us on September 14th 2015, it had the force of 3 stars exploding behind it. It literally stretched and distorted everything. Including you. Do you feel taller? Wider? no? then why should the ship distort?
>>
I think you mean 'discovers'.
It already exists. You can't invent something that already exists.
ayy fucking lmao
>>
>>7851606
A gravity wave is water wave caused by gravity or buoyancy trying to restore equilibrium.
You mean gravitational wave.
>>
>>7851619
>>7851996
>>7852012
o I am laffin
>>
>>7854284
That's just because the wave falls off with distance like anything else.
Things were stretched and squished - that's how it was detected!
>>
dear /sci/entists

can gravitational waves affect small particles like our dna over time??? intelligent design guise, like whoa!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbxuXq_981s
>>
>>7854706
No, now back to >>>>/x/
>>
>>7853478
It was only a billion light years away bro, you are off by 10^3
>>
nice ether theory OP
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.