[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I hope LIGO gravitational waves are not discovered today

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (19KB, 353x352px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 353x352px
I don't want them to prove that FTL is impossible and that we're going to be stuck on this shitty planet and solar system forever.

No... i just cannot accept it. There must be another way...
>>
>>7850703
wut
>>
>>7850703
>FTL is impossible
>stuck on this shitty planet and solar system forever
One has nothing to do with the other. Fuck off.
>>
File: image.jpg (13KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 250x242px
>>7850776
Scientists are saying gravity travels at speed of light. If thats true

>no Alcubierre warp drive
>no wormholes
>no FTL travel
>stuck on this shitty planet forever
>>
>>7850823
>stuck on this shitty planet forever
>not colonizing the moon
>not colonizing mars
>not colonizing mars' moons
>not colonizing all of the planets' moons
>not creating huge spaceship hotels
>not colonizing space itself with the spaceship hotels

People don't think the solar system be comfy, but it do.
>>
>>7850823
You don't need to travel FTL. You can reach any point in the universe within seconds if you are just close enough to the speed of light.
>>
>>7850703
>le shitty planet
as if everywhere else isn't more shitty. We're built for this planet, anywhere else we go will be like a bad camping trip without the wifi
>>
>>7850836
Due to the expansion of the universe, this is incorrect.
>>
>>7850883
>>7850836
Lmao dude even without the expansion the universe it is incorrect like wtf. If we were to travel to our nearest star rightg now at LIGHT SPEED. It would take us ~4 years.
>>
>>7851310
>What is time dilation
Either you're underage, failed physics or are just baiting.
>>
>>7851310
It will not take a lot if time for you, tho. Special relativity and all.
>>
File: image.png (173KB, 1004x465px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
173KB, 1004x465px
>>7850823
The Alcubierrie drive concept actually is based on all the same GR that predicted gravitational waves. Because the bubble is self-contained, it doesn't radiate energy, and therefore can still move faster than [math]c[/math]. If anything, this discovery actually *supports* the possibility of AD.
>>
>>7851361
Sounds inetersting. Can you link to a paper about this, or another scientific source?
>>
>>7851361
Now the question is where do we get all the juice to make it run..? Even the newer estimates for the energy necessary are crazy af, we'd need to set something like a million Saudi Arabias on fire to get anywhere close (admittedly, fossil fuels are pretty shitty)
>>
>>7851365
It's in the original paper. Feel free to look it up.
>>7851378
I think the latest estimates say we'd only need the mass-energy equivalent of a single Voyager probe. Still, that's an engineering problem, not a physics problem. That means it's tractable, at least in principle.
>>
>>7850823

>Scientists are saying gravity travels at speed of light

They've always said that, and what they mean when they say that is that no particle can move faster than c. But the group velocity can be faster than c - which means that, metaphorically, the ripples in water when you drop a pebble can travel instantly to the edges of the pond;

>http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/apl/90/1/10.1063/1.2423240
>Sound beyond the speed of light: Measurement of negative group velocity in an acoustic loop filter

This is the perfectly ridged rod needed to conduct an FTL signal. I can only assume that these physicists are aware of FTL sound waves, and sees no problem with FTL gravity waves.

Both allow FTL communication, and most of the physics since the mid 20th century has been an attempt to rescue free will and macroscopic realism.
>>
>>7851872
Phase velocity can move faster than light, not group retard
>>
Why are you under the impression that gravitational waves automatically disprove FTL or wormholes ?
>>
>>7851310
Assuming you traveled at the speed of 299600 km/s, slightly less than c, a 4 year journey will last about 1,7 months to you.
>>
>>7851872
You're describing moving a gravity well, right?
You want to shove a black hole and send an FTL signal somewhere?
>>
>>7850835
The reason any other man would want it. To make "Humanity, Fuck yea" short stories true.
>>
Has Einstein ever been wrong

Everyone BTFO
>>
>>7851982
"Gott würfelt nicht"
>>
>>7851310
But our nearest star is the sun
>>
>>7852020
Go suck a cock, Heisenberg
>>
>>7852020
>>7852036
Lel
>>
File: ss (2016-02-11 at 02.41.50).png (52KB, 910x738px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-02-11 at 02.41.50).png
52KB, 910x738px
>>
>>7852021
and then theres this faggot
>>
>>7850703
>on this shitty planet

This is probably the nicest planet in the universe, anon.
>>
>>7850836
The time dilation part would be horrible though. Travel to any distant star and you'd get there knowing that everyone you know is dead.
>>
>>7852050
kek
>>
File: comebackmattsmith.jpg (82KB, 620x342px) Image search: [Google]
comebackmattsmith.jpg
82KB, 620x342px
>>7850834
> huge spaceship hotels
Great. More liberal-subsidized shit that only Justin Fucking Bieber can afford to go to.

Thanks, Obama.
>>
>>7851361
It's my understanding that the "bubble" is't moving at all (or not that fast), it's that the "bubble" is moving space. Sort of like if you stood at one end of a long carpet, jumped striaght up really high with you friend at the other end pulling quickly on the carpet, you'd land at a different place on the carpet. You = "bubble", carpet = spacetime.

is this incorrect?
>>
File: image.jpg (68KB, 539x567px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68KB, 539x567px
>>7851945

Blackholes have jets of photons, electrons and perhaps atomic nuclei. Note that I'm lumping Hawking radiation in with the jets, under the assumption that it's all the white hole.

These jets travel from mouth A to mouth B, and the jets enjoy FTL group velocities. So, if you tap the material entering end A, the material coming out from end B will vibrate instantly.

But the pressures would destroy you, unless you too had an infinife group velocity. The paper about FTL sound claims that this infinitely fast speed occurs commonly in nature, and the stiffer and sparser a material is, the faster the faster the speed of sound.

The pauli exclusion principle is why fermions are being emitted in the first place - there's a limit to density. Neutron stars - the seeds of blackholes - have carbon atmospheres during formation, and their high speed of sound is a direct result of their carbon content. To journey through a wormhole, you need a carbon shock absorption system.

The carbon object wouldn't experience spaghettification, and would ride the pressure wave since it shares the same quantum state as the wormhole in terms of group velocity.
>>
>>7852021
i kek'ed hard
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.