[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can meme evolution be studied by network topology or graph theory?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (36KB, 352x499px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 352x499px
Can meme evolution be studied by network topology or graph theory? Is anyone working on this already, I tried google scholar and UIUCs library, but wasn't sure what search terms to use or what fields to look in.

Also graph theory love/hate general
>>
>>7849789
Not yet. I think that by now we've gotten the biology tards to learn calculus I in their degrees.

Just give it a couple of hundred years and they will discover a graph theory book on their own.
>>
>>7849789
Yeah, you can model anything with graph theory. The interesting part is what you do with the data after you have structured it as a graph.
>>
File: 1289787513873.png (25KB, 345x369px) Image search: [Google]
1289787513873.png
25KB, 345x369px
>literally writing a meme thesis
>>
>>7849789

Hey Mr. Patel/Wang Be sure to rape stare extra hard when you go to the ARC tonight to curl 20 lb barbells :^)
>>
>>7849820
this would be hilarious if it wasnt sadly true..
>>
Well, first you need to represent memes in a graph.
>>
>>7849908
Imagine a world where the moment pure mathematicians finish something up and publish, scientists immediately jump into it to find applications in their respective field, instead of waiting decades or even centuries for them to pick up or for a mathematician to take a step towards a science.

I mean, for fucks sake, I have seen CS degrees without graph theory and that should be the place where most applications are. Still, gotta wait a couple decades for the CS fags to find out.
>>
>>7849959
>CS degrees without graph theory

Why? It's probably the most important mathematical field to CS. Why do universities require multiple calculus courses when it would be more relevant to require more discrete math courses instead?
>>
>>7849789
Yes, graph theory is the ideal for studying virology. Memes are effectively viruses in their own context.
>>
File: cucks.png (409KB, 490x684px) Image search: [Google]
cucks.png
409KB, 490x684px
>>7850401

Because you need calculus/analysis to understand advanced discrete math beyond the duck level.
>>
>>7849959
>Imagine a world where the moment pure mathematicians finish something up and publish, scientists immediately jump into it to find applications in their respective field

That world was the 20th century.
>>
>>7850427

Only certain areas of it. I would say that other fields of mathematics such as abstract/linear algebra are significantly more useful.

You're free to argue your point and give some examples though, instead of posting /sci/ memes. Maybe something involving generating functions..? Or bounds on things?

(I'm talking about mostly graph theory here though, rather than discrete mathematics in general)
>>
>>7850444

And you need calculus/analysis to study algebra too.
>>
>>7850457

You're avoiding the question. Sure, you need to know it to fully study algebra, but you could get through a lot of the kind of algebra that would be useful for graph theory at the bachelors level (permutation groups, Cayley graphs, general group theory, etc) without it.
>>
>>7850427
>tfw my discrete math class is using this textbook
I honestly can't tell if this booked is memed for being good or bad. I find it easy to understand at the very least
>>
>>7850464
>at the bachelors level (permutation groups, Cayley graphs, general group theory, etc)

That's high school level.
>>
>>7850457

Are you trying to understand that analysis would be more useful for a CS major than taking more discrete courses, or even an abstract algebra course?
>>
>>7850466
I'm going to regret asking this but what books did you use for your other classes?
>>
>>7850475
Math or CS?
For Math used Thomas Calculus 12th edition and introduction to linear algebra by gilbert strang. Haven't take differential equations yet.
>>
Isn't frame semantics basically what you're trying to do?

This is well developed in psychology and linguistics. For CS you have Marvin Minsky with his frame concept.

Memes aren't a serious scientific concept. They're more like cultural studies.
>>
>>7850470

It is. CS majors don't realize the sheer volume of material that is left out of their curriculum due to them not knowing analysis. Originally the plan for the CS major involved calculus, vector space theory, 3 semesters of analysis, 2 semesters of numerical analysis, 2 semesters of probability and statistics, discrete math, and abstract algebra with additional electives on combinatorics, graph theory, and optimization.

CS has been watered down to hell in the last 50 years. There's a reason why /sci/ thinks CS shouldn't even be taught in undergrad.
>>
>>7850491
Anything is scientific if you analyze it scientifically.

You have to force people to take it seriously by putting in hour after hour of rigorous study; show it.
>>
>>7850494

I worded that wrong. Memes can of course be scientific. They're a very interesting concept, in fact. Construction of knowledge itself is. But frames are important in sociology, psychology (as schemas), computer science as well as linguistics.

What I meant was that there is an established practice for what you're trying to do, just under a different name. I don't think there are mathematical models for the dynamics of (social) frame construction, so there's definitively room for your idea.
>>
>>7850493

I'm not saying that analysis isn't important to learn, just that other fields (discrete, algebra, etc) are more important to push into a CS education.

Give some concrete examples to try and justify why a full-out real analysis course should be in a CS degree instead of more discrete or an abstract algbera course.

Your own picture only lists definite prereqs for analysis for things like numerical analysis/system simulation, which is pretty niche within CS.

And don't say general mathematical maturity, since that can also be picked up from other proof-heavy math courses such as algebra.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.