[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Measuring Temperature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: c97725114932d2ab691995032a916885.jpg (136KB, 1484x1317px) Image search: [Google]
c97725114932d2ab691995032a916885.jpg
136KB, 1484x1317px
Can somebody explain the difference between the 3 Ways of measuring Temperature? Celsius, Fahrenheit, Kelvin.
Oh, and do explain thoroughly
>>
>>7845333
your pic sucks
>>
Thats the best I could find tho
>>
>>7845333
Celsius and Kelvin are the same scale, Celsius is just more appropriate to humans.

Fahrenheit is american and I'm not quite sure the significance, plus that picture is fucking retarded and doesn't make any sense
>>
>>7845343
What the fuck is wrong with that. I took it from google
>>
>>7845345
How in the world is 100 Kelvin above 273 kelvin and how is 100 c both the same as 180 f and 212?
>>
>>7845346
Ah shit. I didnt see that 100 K and 100 c part. Although how is 100 C not equal to 212 F?
>>
>>7845333
kelvin is for scientists
celsius is for the average public
fahrenheit is for fat retarded americans
>>
File: 1450691479832.jpg (47KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1450691479832.jpg
47KB, 960x720px
>>7845333
Kelvin is an absolute scale, meaning 0K is the very lowest temp. It's the point at which all matter stops moving (as there's no energy).

The increments in Kelvin is exactly the same as the increments in Celsius. That is, the gap between, say, 20C and 21C represents exactly the same increase in temp as, say, 100K and 101K. That 1C difference is the same amount of energy as that 1K difference.

However, Celsius is not an absolute scale. You can get temps lower than 0. Celsius is based off of the melting and boiling points of water. One day, someone just melted some ice, declared that the temp of said melted ice (i.e. cold water) would be 0 Celsius, then they boiled some water, and said that the temp of the boiling water would be 100 Celsius. It's an arbitrary scale, but practical as water is a very common thing in our lives and the change in temp of seasons is nicely fits with our Celsius measurement.

Just remember that Celsius is not perfect. It's good, makes sense and is easy to understand, but it's not what you should use in rigourous science. Kelvin's needed in science.

As for fahrenheit, someone did a similar thing as what happened with Celsius, except they used a mixture of salt and ice (called brine) for some stupid reason. Disregard fahrenheit, it won't get you anywhere and is severely outdated. It's almost 300 years old. Use Celsius, it's only ~60 years old, makes more practical sense, and has closer ties to Kelvin, the scientific way to measure temp.

Your pic doesn't suck either, it makes sense to someone who already understand temp. Although, it's not useful as a learning aid, it just aids to the confusion.
>>
>>7845351
>>7845346
That 100K part in the middle is just showing the difference between water's melting and boiling points. It's not marking 100K as a point on the thermometer. Please disregard that picture until you're confident that you understand temperature. Like I said, it'll just mess your understanding up further if you don't have it down pat.
>>
>>7845370
Damn thanks. But what I dont understand is how is Celsius only 100C? And Kelvin 373? And then Fahrenheit 212F?
>>
>>7845370
Fahrenheit is even more fucked because 100 degrees F is supposed to be the temperature of human blood (which is a weird arbitrator of scale in the first place) but he used the temperature of a horse's blood instead which is why our temp is off by 1.4 degrees F
>>
>>7845377
Well, 0K is absolute zero, nothing is colder. 0 Celsius is equal to 273K. So, because the increments in these two scales is the same, if you add 100 to 0 Celsius, giving you the boiling point of water, you can also add 100 to 273K, hence the boiling point of water is 373K.

Ignore Fahrenheit please, understand the relationship between Celsius and Kelvin first. They're far more useful, easier to understand and global. Only 4 or so countries in the entire world still use Fahrenheit, the only significant country being USA.
>>
File: 1450808473713.jpg (60KB, 700x903px) Image search: [Google]
1450808473713.jpg
60KB, 700x903px
>>7845385
Let's just ignore Fahrenheit for now, hopefully the US will get the hint that it's fucked and follow suit.
>>
>>7845393
How is 0C Equal to 273K?
>>
>>7845362
/thread
>>
>>7845397
The freezing point of water was just defined to be 0C. When science got its act together and decided on a universal standard for temp (i.e. Kelvin), they found that the freezing point of water was 273 Celsius increments above absolute zero. As Kelvin has the same sized increments as Celsius, the freezing point is also 273K.

You might benefit from watching a YouTube video about this, visuals help greatly with this idea. I could show you on a whiteboard on paper but unfortunately that's not possible, so try YouTube. Say clear of Crash Course, it's hipster-tier science thrown at you at an inhumane speed that nobody could benefit from. I only find it's useful to watch CC in review of a topic (if I can stomach the host's cringe), not the initial understanding of it.
>>
>>7845370
>Use Celsius, it's only ~60 years old
Celsius is named after the Swedish astronomer Anders Celsius (1701–1744)
Fahrenheit was proposed in 1724 by the German physicist Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit (1686–1736)

Both products of the enlightenment, both fucking old, both arbitrary, but F even more so than C.
>>
>>7845362
>>7845397
>"Oh, and do explain thoroughly"
>>
File: fahrenheit_to_celcius.png (50KB, 1440x770px) Image search: [Google]
fahrenheit_to_celcius.png
50KB, 1440x770px
Here you go. If you have half a brain (presumably you do if you're on this board) this should make sense.
>>
>>7845417
>thinking that if something's named after someone, they must have discovered it themselves
Ever heard of Boyle's law? Fun fact: he did none of the work on that law. He paid someone to research the pressure and volume of gases. Even the person he paid to do the research gave the work to another person to develop the law.

Wikipedia:
>"In 1742, Swedish astronomer Anders Celsius (1701–1744) created a temperature scale which was the reverse of the scale now known by the name "Celsius": 0 represented the boiling point of water, while 100 represented the freezing point of water."

Sure, he's credited with it, but he didn't create it as it's seen today.

I must apologise though, I was reading the wikipedia article for Fahrenheit when I mentioned Celsius being 60 years old.
>"All other countries in the world now use the Celsius scale, defined since 1954 by absolute zero being -273.15 °C and the triple point of water being at 0.01 °C."
Surely you can understand my mistake.
>>
>>7845370
>meaning 0K is the very lowest temp. It's the point at which all matter stops moving (as there's no energy).

This is actually a popular misconception. 0 K is indeed the lowest possible temperature, but matter doesn't stop moving, and it's not the same as having zero energy.
>>
>>7845428
>If you have half a brain (presumably you do if you're on this board)

b8
>>
>>7845438
I'm guessing this is some quantum mechanics shit? Care to explain or do you just trawl 4chan looking to make people look stupid in order to satisfy your god complex? I'm no expert in thermodynamics, nor QM, though I think the explanation I gave is always an explanation most scientists can be satisfied with, and I believe it is an apt one when explaining the differences between temp scales.
>>
>>7845443
>I'm guessing this is some quantum mechanics shit?

Yeah. Waves (and everything is waves) can't have less energy than their lowest mode of vibration. That's "zero point energy." So even at absolute zero stuff jiggles around - it just can't transfer energy to something else.

>Care to explain or do you just trawl 4chan looking to make people look stupid in order to satisfy your god complex?

Relax, dude. Just thought you might want to know. Sorry for teaching you.
>>
Fun fact, -40 degrees is where celcius and Fahrenheit intersect, and since rankin and kelvin lack negatives (or 'degrees') simply saying "it's -40 degrees" is perfectly acceptable and fucks with nerd OCD.
>>
File: 1328781329119.jpg (11KB, 245x251px) Image search: [Google]
1328781329119.jpg
11KB, 245x251px
>>7846489
>Fun fact
lolno

-40 degrees could refer to an angle or the coordinates of a location in lines of latitude and longitude

Omitting the units of measurement is always wrong and you are a retarded
>>
>>7846529
Yep because people always mean gps locations or arc of an angle when asking "damn how cold is that?"
>>
>>7845428
I don't understand. What is the X Axis?
>>
>>7846541
When people ask
>"damn how cold is that?"
you're usually using the same temperature system anyway. Namely the one that is standard in your country.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.