[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is "the right stuff" a myth that NASA keeps around

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: Virgin-Galactic.jpg (929KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Virgin-Galactic.jpg
929KB, 2560x1536px
Is "the right stuff" a myth that NASA keeps around to pretend they're still relevant?

Russians have no problem sending you to space if you can pay $20-$40mil.
>>
>>7843300

What?
>>
If that's a myth they keep around they don't to such a swell job at it cuz I ain't ever heard of it.
>>
>>7843302
>>7843303
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nasa+the+right+stuff

I thought /sci/ posters would at least be somewhat smart. This is pretty much common knowledge.
>>
The Right Stuff is a NASA developed sports drink that provides serious hydration for serious athletes.

???
>>
>>7843310
>you don't know about some unknown shit
>therefore your iq is less than 80
Great thread.
Show IQ test results.
>>
File: SKYLON.jpg (105KB, 1024x487px) Image search: [Google]
SKYLON.jpg
105KB, 1024x487px
>>7843310
>>7843300
>A marketing slogan used exclusively within the US to promote NASA

Why are Amerifats so insular?

While you faggot circlejerk over your government oranisations the rest of the world is actually making progress
>>
>>7843310
>This is pretty much common knowledge.

I'm on 4chan all the time and frequent the NASA website. I don't recall that slogan at all. I've never once seen a NASA advertisement in any media at all. This:

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+right+stuff

Just gives some movie I've never heard of which looks pretty fucking aweful.

This:

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+right+stuff+nasa

Gives me >>7843360 which just seems retarded.

So, tell us, OP, what is this "myth" you are referring to?
>>
The NASA manned space program is basically a historical re-enactment society. "Wow, wasn't the Apollo Program great?!"

They're not interested in opening up space. They just want to be part of a big thing with lots of glory and steady employment good salaries. Every time they get a choice between getting some real work done with the money they have or keeping people in their inefficient jobs, they keep people in their jobs.
>>
File: 583px-Howard_Hughes.jpg (46KB, 583x767px) Image search: [Google]
583px-Howard_Hughes.jpg
46KB, 583x767px
The Right Stuff is not a myth.

Some people have it, most don't.
>>
Sounds like you all need to read the book or watch the movie again. The term didn't refer exclusively to NASA astronauts, but also to the military test pilots of the experimental flight testing programs, who (as the story underlined) had a far more challenging, dangerous and less-rewarding job. And the movie even referenced the fact that the Mercury astronauts, despite having "the right stuff," were essentially just human guinea-pigs with very little actual responsibility (recall the scene where Yeager points out that the first American astronaut will be a monkey), unlike the experimental test pilots whose skills were crucial to the program and indeed to their very own survival. If a monkey can be an astronaut, surely a random millionaire can.

Is "the right stuff" a myth? No, it's not a myth. But it's not a necessity for spaceflight either.
>>
>>7845009
Thank you, exactly what I wanted to know.
>>
>>7843300
How would a drink keep NASA relevant?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.