[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Mensa basically a huge joke? Granted, it seems like out o

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1024px-Mensa_logo.svg[1].png (93KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Mensa_logo.svg[1].png
93KB, 1024x1024px
Is Mensa basically a huge joke?
Granted, it seems like out of all of the high IQ societies, they provide the most benefits along with the membership compared to Intertel or Triple Nine, but it seems like for Mensa especially, you don't need that high of an IQ to join.
I guess by high IQ I mean like, 140+.

I was taking the Mensa work out because I thought it'd be a great way to eventually become smarter, after all, Mensa is about promoting intellectual growth. I was actually really happy because I got a high score on it; But then I realized that I had taken it a year ago. It wasn't that I was smart, it's just that the test hasn't changed.
https://mensa.org/workout.php

What is the point of High IQ societies other than smart people circle jerking and drinking at a bar once a month?
>>
Whats eevn the point of being smart ? Social skills is more important
>>
File: 1454782141963.png (43KB, 195x179px) Image search: [Google]
1454782141963.png
43KB, 195x179px
>Mensa especially, you don't need that high of an IQ to join.
I guess by high IQ I mean like, 140

140 is not high on the Internet in places like this, where your IQ can be whatever you want it to be after pressing your keyboard.

140 IQ people are extremely rare.
>>
>>7841074
If you're smart and you care enough about social skills (and also aren't super autistic), you can just learn social skills and be incredibly sociable
Social Skills are only really important if you're constantly meeting new people, other than that, you don't have to have amazing social skills to navigate the average interaction
>>
>>7841075
>140 IQ people are extremely rare.
That's what I mean, I figured that Mensa would be super hard to get into, but depending on the test you take, you can get 130 and get in
They let a 2 year old in a few years ago
Granted, 130 is still pretty high, I just figured that it had to be even harder than that
>>
>top 2%
>14 million people that can join
>>
>>7841075
>>7841081

140 people are 36/10,000, or 9 every 2500, which would be 1million+ people of 140+ IQ in the US alone
>>
>>7841092

Which is not a lot compared to he U.S as a whole.
>>
Mensa honestly has to be one of the cleverest scams ever pulled, desu.

>You can join our EXCLUSIVE high IQ society with no discernible, tangible benefits
>but only if you pay these exam fees and membership dues
>btw you can only take the test at mensa affiliated testing centers :^)
>>
>>7841070
I hated the atmosphere. All of these mostly unremarkable people were there, with a completely unwarranted feeling of superiority. MENSA is for people who don't have anything else worthwhile to their name.

Plenty of autists and neckbeards too.
>>
>>7841141
This.

I expected to see at least a few academics. But nope, mostly liberal arts majors, and 40 year old nobodies.
>>
>>7841141
>[cunts] were there, with a completely unwarranted feeling of superiority.

This is exactly what a standard meeting of a Mensa society is like.
>>
>>7841147
Check rotary club international
>>
>>7841141
http://youtu.be/qPMKqyaXtHI
>>
>>7841141
right on the button
>>
>>7841070
>It wasn't that I was smart, it's just that the test hasn't changed.
This test is easy anyway. I scored 27/30 and the only questions I got wrong were those about words. English isn't my first language.
>>
I joined the Triple Nine Society quite a few years ago. The only tangible benefit I received from membership was irritating the crap out of a couple of Mensa jackasses I worked with at the time. Is Mensa a joke? I suppose it depends on your perspective. Personally, I am more impressed with a person's actual accomplishments than I am with how well they score on a silly test.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.