[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pssst... Hey Kid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: headplate.png (59KB, 665x436px) Image search: [Google]
headplate.png
59KB, 665x436px
Wanna do some engineering?

Could use some input. This is a headplate for a rotating piston compressor. The two small holes are where i plan on putting bearings and a lip seal. I will press them in, but i'd like to have a way of pulling them out again if i need to replace, but i'm afraid a traditional bearing puller would fuck up the soft aluminum of the headplate.

I was thinking of putting punch out holes in the bearing race, but that would compromise my seal.

Thoughts?
>>
>rotating piston compressor
A what now?
>i'm afraid a traditional bearing puller would fuck up the soft aluminum of the headplate.
I'm not even sure how you'd get a traditional bearing puller around those.

Gonna have to 'splain things a bit better before I can help you, OP.
>>
File: Fig12.jpg (61KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Fig12.jpg
61KB, 800x800px
>>7839571
>A what now?
a roots blower (kinda)

>I'm not even sure how you'd get a traditional bearing puller around those.

they have bearing pullers that grab from the ID of the bearing.
>>
File: 1454719699188.jpg (67KB, 600x599px) Image search: [Google]
1454719699188.jpg
67KB, 600x599px
>>7839539
simple, press the bearings in, only sell the whole thing as an "assembly" and charge quintuple since youre the only fucker that makes it.
>>
>>7839580
i'm making it for personal use, i don't want something thats a hassle to maintain.
>>
>>7839582
Hmm, can you make a threaded piece that goes in that the bearings sit in? that way you just use an imoact wrench to remove them and replace some extra gaskets? Sorry Im not an engineer, just a greasy technician who likes reading about science.
>>
>>7839592
*impact, sorry I am wasted.
>>
>>7839592
i like that idea, but it increases my part count by 4 and requires me to machine threads into the headplate.
>>
>>7839575
Ah, gotcha.

What do you think of press-fitting the bearings to the rotors instead and using a non-interference fit on the headplate? Seems like it'd be less trouble.

In fact, why do the bearings have to be press-fit at all?
>>
>>7839606
You could use something like what they use in junction boxes, would require machining the part but you wouldnt need to thread your plate at least.
>>
>>7839614
the bearings have to be external from the rotor chamber for lubrication, and the only way i could think of not press fitting them is to create a separate bearing race, which is increasing my part count.
>>
>>7839616
>>
>>7839625
that ring can't be there. the rotors are going to be as flush as possible up against the headplate. having a indentation for a ring creates air gaps that lower the pump efficiency by a shitload.
>>
>>7839633
Smash a greasy gasket in there. You could machine an indent for it to fit.
>>
>>7839638
nah man, these things really do have to fit like pistons in a cylinder. the tolerances are tight. nothing in the chamber except the rotors.
>>
>>7839624
>the bearings have to be external from the rotor chamber for lubrication
OOOOOH, I didn't realize that. I had assumed they were internal.
Well, in that case why not just space the bearing a few mm away from the face with a little step, so that your bearing puller has enough clearance to grab hold?
>>7839648
You realize pistons use ring seals, right?
>>
>>7839669
>so that your bearing puller
thats the thing, i don't want to have to use a typical bearing puller because it might damage the headplate.

>You realize pistons use ring seals, right?
and i don't have the luxury of using them, so any clearance deviation fucks my output pressure.
>>
>>7839690
Alright then, how about a few simple notches in the housing then so you can pry the bearing out by the outer race with whichever sort of tool suits you?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.