[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>he thinks number theory is very interesting and wants to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

File: 1452293448385.jpg (40KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
1452293448385.jpg
40KB, 460x276px
>he thinks number theory is very interesting and wants to dedicate his life to it
>>
>>7837899
stupid clarksonposter
>>
Give me one reason why number theory isnt interesting. Ill wait while you try to use brain cells for the forst time.
>>
Aren't you supposed to be drifting a jag around laguna seca rn or smth
Everyone knows you found your degree in a cereal box
>>
>>7837899
>posts clarkson
>not idiot

pick one
>>
>>7837904
I never understood the appeal of number theory. It's just mind games as an end in itself. Must be some autism thing I guess. Almost philosophy tier. I know there are some smart people in number theory who come up with very interesting new methods, but whenever I see them, I think to myself what a waste of potential to go into number theory. If they did something more applied, they could achieve so much more greatness.
>>
>>7837998
>If they did something more applied
Embarrassing.
>>
>>7837998
Isn't a huge amount of cryptography based on number theory?

It was good enough for Ramanujan, it's good enough for me.
>>
>>7838002
>Isn't a huge amount of cryptography based on number theory?
Cryptography uses a few very simple results of number theory. The large majority of number theoretic knowledge has no applications.
>>
>>7838011
Yet.
>>
>>7838023

If that's your rationale, you're no better than the guy who thinks Jesus is coming back from the dead.
>>
Do you think it's weird, that me, a scientific elitist doesn't even know the first thing about number theory?

If you had to explain it in 10 sentences, give me your best explanation.
>>
>>7838062
>Do you think it's weird, that me, a scientific elitist doesn't even know the first thing about number theory?

Not really, it's impossible to know everything, nor is there any reason to.
>>
>>7837998
>An end in itself
>Autism
>Philosophy tier
>something more applied

Good God it's like a bait overload. Be more subtle in the future senpai.
>>
File: 1417662564791.png (124KB, 1024x1347px) Image search: [Google]
1417662564791.png
124KB, 1024x1347px
>>7837899
>he does number theory
>field will be obsolete in 10 years
>>
>>7838062
You know what a prime is, right?
>>
>>7838071
Wow, now that's retarded. Say no more.
>>
>>7838073
If talking about prime numbers doesn't fall under number theory, what the fuck is it then?
>>
>>7838082
It does. What I'm saying is that prime numbers are a waste of time and they're retarded
>>
>>7838083
Nah bro
>>
>>7837998
I personally believe that they do it for the glory. Number theory is one big puzzle competition.
>>
Top Number Theorist and Professor of Mathematics, Terrence Tao, earns over 500k a year while a bunch of buttmad spergs talk about how angry it makes them that people study number theory.

TOP KEK!
>>
>>7838222

Football player that kick a ball around and can't find the nth number of a sequence get paid tens of millions per year.

TOP KEK!
>>
>>7838309
Yeah but I'm not making threads in the sports board about how I'm so angry that they make money kicking a ball around. Mainly because I don't care.

I'd recommend you practice the same philosophy. Just-don't-fucking-care.
>>
>>7838309

Not that guy but the very obvious difference is that /sports don't matter/, least of all next to number theory autism (from the sperglord's point of view, at least) and you damn well know it.
>>
>>7838222

If only Terrence Tao went into physics or engineering
>>
>>7838320
being good at maths =/= being good at physics or engineering. It just seems like they are good because they can handle the workload but they may not have the vision.
>>
>>7838325
>>7838320
>Not knowing that Terrence Tao has a huge record in Applied mathematics research. To the point that he is worked on theoretical models for chemical reactions that until he worked in them, had no way to be explained by chemists.

>Not realizing that this new insight he had about the mechanisms of these reactions, that not even PhD chemists had, was completely because of his experience dealing in number theory and other theoretical fields of pure mathematics.

Stay mad spergs. All you have to do is google

Being good at number theory = Being good at everything else.
>>
>>7838338
>Being good at number theory = Being good at everything else.

You mean

>Being good at number theory = good placement on the autistic spectrum
>>
>>7837998
Elliptic curves, cryptography and algebra would like to have a word with you.
I agree that it's dull, but it also has great uses.
>>
>>7838341
If having a qt wife, a qt daughter, tons of titles and recognition, and a huge ass salary makes you autistic then yes.
>>
File: 1425697009131.jpg (62KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
1425697009131.jpg
62KB, 620x349px
>>7838398
You might want to recheck that.
>>
>>7838398
SEE
>>7838408

LMFAO. QT KEK.

But you're probably a fat ugly neckbeard, so a 1/10 like that is probably a QT for you.
>>
>>7838408
>>7838416
>Not having a girl bring you your coffee in the morning, just as you write QED on your proof on the infinity of twin primes.

topkek now I understand your assburn
>>
>>7837998
Okay well feel free to just refrain from all online banking and transactions.
>>
>>7838426
You realise that obtaining a genuine qt isn't hard right?
>>
>>7838408
>Implying you wouldn't rape that little girl's 300 IQ vagina.
>>
>>7838438
topkek I'd like to see you do better than him.

Furthermore, this discussion was about the validity of number theory. Tao is clearly not an autist.
>>
>>7838448
Already done, hence the post.
Perhaps you should refer to:
>>7838416
>>
>>7838442
>Implying she isn't already dominated by the little boy
Like forcing a sausage into a grinder.
>>
>>7838451
>A faggot that has nothing better to do than to bitch about a subject that he is clearly too stupid to even comprehend

>Calls me a neckbeard

I hope you understand why I'm laughing my ass off in this thread.
>>
>>7838408
Good at mathematics []
QT wife []
>>
>>7838083
So you're saying the entire field of cryptography and everything the NSA does is a waste of time? kek
>>
>>7838408
Chinese lady with two sons and a daughter? What am I supposed to check here?
>>
>>7838458

You think an objectively ugly women is a QT. You have extremely low standards, which leads me to conclude you're ugly, fat, or autistic. Or perhaps all three.

I'd rather be jacked, white, and of decent intelligence than an overachieving autist that gets to sleep with ugly cows like that.
>>
>>7838057
That's a sacrifice you take when you study math. It may or not find applications. To say it won't is extremely short sighted, I would even say stupid. Do you even understand the point of math anyway?
>>
>>7838484
>Do you even understand the point of math anyway?
Does anyone?
>>
>>7838473
Exactly, there's no QT.
>>
>>7838492
The point of math is to build logical structures consisting of theorems that can be used if that sort of logic is needed. It's a like if civil engineers were to just keep making buildings that had no purpose until people saw buildings fitting their needs to be used.
>>
>>7838481
>Shy NASA engineer who sucks your cock day and night for validation because she never had a bf before

>Not QT

topkek you spergs.
>>
File: photo.jpg (8KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
8KB, 300x300px
>>7838496
Well, the daughter is a bit Q.
>>
>>7838516
Man I would kill for a gf with that tattoo
>>
>>7838481
To each his own. I don't think I'm particularly attractive and I do have a girlfriend but I'm not shallow like you are. I enjoy girls who I can be friends with and are decent people. I suppose I can understand your point of view but for us math people, it just gives you purpose in life. I'm apathetic about everything except math. When I get free time I just become depressed and drink a lot.
>>
>>7838504
>that can be used if that sort of logic is needed
That's not what pure math is about. Nobody is actually building logical structurs in the case that they are going to be needed in the future. You do it for the fun of it. I fact some theorems have and will never have usage in this universe since they are bult upon a totally different framwork
>>
>>7838520
Hence the word can.
>>
>>7838538
Sure, I guess. But your whole post somehow came of as if mathematicians are specifically building useful shit so it can be used. That's just what well we tell to the general public so the funds keep flowing
>>
>>7838544
Maybe I should've said the civil engineer just loves making buildings so he just doesn't stop and some people find uses for them. Regardless... exactly
>>
File: 1454746207732.jpg (77KB, 750x546px) Image search: [Google]
1454746207732.jpg
77KB, 750x546px
>>7838516
mfw
>>
Set Theory >>>> Number Theory
>>
>>7838520
>will never have use
That's a bit too strong a statement. Why should the rules of logic be exempt from the usual uncertainty other natural laws are subject to?
>>
>>7838650
Because they were purposefully made with other universe in mind, ie other laws of physics. Be honest, math kinda sounds like its magic
>>
>>7838341

> he posts on /sci/
> he has voluntarily entered into a thread about the relevance of 'number theory'
> he is arguing in favour of the prestige of applied sciences, like engineering, over pure mathematics
> he is still using autistic as an insult

you played yourself senpai
>>
>>7838658
Newton could've said the same of quantum field theory. We live in a world where my laws govern motion and whatnot, and QFT is made for a universe where QFT works. I think you're undeservedly elevating rules of deduction over other natural laws.
>>
Number theory is essentially useless math

>inb4 muh rsa
cryptography uses only things from number theory that are introduced within the first one or two weeks of the course
>>
What books do I pick up to learn number theory, and what type of math do I need to know?
>>
>all of modern technology is based on number-theoretic concepts
>lol number theory is useless and for autists
When you're alive in the year 2450 thanks to your artificial heart and liver while teleporting through time and space while getting your dick sucked at the same time, you can thank number theorists.
>>
File: phew.png (37KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
phew.png
37KB, 640x400px
>>7837903
>stupid clarksonposter
>>
>>7838481

>jealousy: the post

it's time for you to leave this thread to be quite honest
>>
>>7838068
Can someone explain this bait? I'm new to math :^)
>>
>>7839883

Not jealousy at all. I'd rather be me than an ugly manlet chink, regardless of how much of a genius he is.
>>
>>7837999
>ill say one word instead of making the world less ignorant
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.