[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /sci/ I cannot for the life of me understand how the voltage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Voltage.jpg (24KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Voltage.jpg
24KB, 800x600px
Hi /sci/

I cannot for the life of me understand how the voltage in this electrical system works.
The voltage used is in the european system. For the U.S it will be 220V for L1-L2 and 110V L1-N.

What I cannot comprehend is the voltage drop when L1 or L2 is connected to the Neutral wire, cause I've been told that the current won't actually be flowing though the neutral, but it will go from L1 to Neutral then return via L2, but how come the voltage drops to 230 then?
What makes the path different if you just skip the little piece of interconnecting neutral wire and connect L1 & L2 to each other directly?
>>
>>7814893
is there a phase shit between the two lines?
>>
>>7814910
>shit

oops, I meant shift
>>
>>7814893
but the curent from both lines DOES return through the neutral, that's why it's there in the first place.
>>
>>7814932
I've heard that "in a system with balanced loads, no current flows through the neutral wire"
>>
>>7814938
that's because the phase difference among the lines cancels out the currents flowing through it.

I don't know about the european system, but if it's three-phase, then if you only connect two lines there's no way you have balanced loads.
>>
>>7814947
If it's an incredible hassle, don't bother. But could you attempt to explain this more simply?
>>
>>7814938
You should read about wave reflection. These animations help:
http://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/Demos/reflect/reflect.html
Basically, if the load impedance is properly matched with the power source, there should be (virtually) no reflection from the load. However, because no electrical device is built perfectly to specifications, there will always be a very small reflection which will result in a standing wave (bad). The neutral wire eliminates the standing wave.

Now the exception is when you do not have a complex load (no imaginary numbers). When your load is purely real, you will not have any wave reflection. This is why some electronics can skip the neutral wire entirely.
>>
>>7814972
that's a different issue altogether. You are talking about load matching, load balancing is having the same load in all three lines.
>>
>>7814980
From my understanding they're basically one and the same, however referenced in different contexts. If your load isn't balanced across the three lines, then it is not going to be matching the power source.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.