[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you learn from books faster? Everytime there is something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1427903432450.jpg (68KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
1427903432450.jpg
68KB, 500x384px
How do you learn from books faster?
Everytime there is something I don't understand in a book, it took me really long to figure out. Sometimes it took me days.
However, if I have a chance to ask my professor or anyone who knew about the material, I can get it pretty much instantly.
Of course professors and helpers are not always available for everything I want to learn, so I have to study with books alone most of the time. But I find it not very productive that I can't read books faster than I was supposed to.
I think I did it wrong but I don't know how to improve.
If you guys have any general routine to work on a book, I would really appreciate.
Anyway, i took me 3 months to finish a book (while also have to study for other courses in the school). Is this amount normal or too long?
>>
>>7814884
>Anyway, i took me 3 months to finish a book
The book is about 800-1000 pages.
For those with 300-400 pages, It took me about 1-2 months.
>>
you need to read them more then once to grasp the material.
also you should train yourself to read faster. 50 pages per day and it should take you 6-8 days to read a 300-400 page book. maybe two weeks tops if you're being really lazy.

I also sometimes take notes of important terminology that just won't get into my head rather then having to flip back and forth between the pages.
>>
>>7814894
What about exercise?
Also, do you have to fully understand every bit of the book?
Sometimes, there's an example that I don't understand in the chapter but I keep focusing on it. If I move on I can read faster but it just bugs me.
>>
>>7814909
I go for walks. I recently started lifting and running.

if you're talking about book exercises, do them in pencil.

you do not need to understand every bit and example, but if it's really holding you back from understanding the further material, then spend a bit of time on it. otherwise just go over it. that's where reading the book twice or three times comes in handy, you end up grasping the material better and understanding those strange examples that you couldn't the first time round.
>>
>>7814929
Ok thanks.
Actually I was talking about book exercises. I do walking between break times.
>>
>>7814886
Read the book very fast, then re-read it in 1 week you have enough time to read it 2 times.

Highlight things that interest you on your speed run and when you read it slowly and carefuly for the second time you can analyze what interests you.

This way you'll keep the info for long in your brain - what I also do ( I read books digitally so it's easy for me )
Is I remove passages and ideas that interest me while I read and let's say 6 months later If I read the short review of the book I remember pretty much everything just based on what I extracted.

You have to trust your brain and develop your own method.
>>
>>7814955
>You have to trust your brain and develop your own method.

truth. everyone has their own method, but the main idea is reading through the material more then once. anything else that helps you is great. I also underline and highlight when I can't concentrate on pages. I hate reading on computers.
I like the idea of taking bits out of books and writing reviews, I do it in notes.
>>
>>7814955
Welp, so all this time I have been trying to understand a book in a single run. What a waste.
>>7814970
I read them on cheap ebook like kindles. The hard copies are too expensive for me. I can't underline those I borrow from the library.
>>
>>7814975
I don't have originals usually, I photocopy a lot.

don't worry anon, for the longest time I tried to get everything right in the first run as well. took me a few years of university and a change of major. glad I could give some advice.
>>
>>7814983
Thanks anon.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.