[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /sci/, I been wondering... Can a large sugar rocket (any homemade

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: J528 Lift off index small.jpg (69KB, 240x300px) Image search: [Google]
J528 Lift off index small.jpg
69KB, 240x300px
So /sci/, I been wondering... Can a large sugar rocket (any homemade rocket) break the atmosphere in theory? Can I build a rocket and attach a camera, and send it to space? Is this possible, or am I mad? If so, what should the rocket look like? Pic related, sugar rocket.
>>
>>7811312
HOLY SHIT GUYS IT'S A TERRORIST!!!!!!!!
>>
>>7811324
No i'm not. I'm just curious.
>>
>>7811312
I doubt it. There is a reason rocket fuel is a thing
>>
>>7811327
Yes. To fuel rockets. That go to space. ROCKET. FUEL.
>>
>>7811327
Anyways, does anyone have an answer to this?
>>
>>7811315
Bump
>>
File: Obama's coming for you.jpg (52KB, 680x454px) Image search: [Google]
Obama's coming for you.jpg
52KB, 680x454px
>>7811326
GET HIM BOYS!!!
>>
Seriously guys, any advice? I just wanna send something to space
>>
/b/ump
>>
>>7811345
We know your true intentions you terrorist scum. You're not fooling us.
>>
>>7811330
Also because of it's density/weight and combustibility.
You can find the answer to your question on the first page of google results
>>
To sent in space 0,5 pounds of weight , you'll need 10k$(on liquid hydrogen) ,but if you want to sent 1-2 kg (on sugar(Wtf?)) you'll need lots of it.
>>
With staging you theoretically can. But the mass fraction cannot be made arbitrarily small as tanks and stage adapters still weigh something. The increased complexity of many stages also increases the likelyhood of failure.
>>
>>7811312
Sugar rockets have very low ISP's compared to proper rocket fuels, you might be able to get to the edge of space with a multi-stage sugar rockets, but into orbit would require crazy amounts of fuel or crazy amounts of stages
>>
Just get a big helium balloon and you'll reach high enough for your liking.
>>
>>7811312
get a weather balloon. all sorts of plans and material lists are only a google away. have fun
>>
Couldnt you make a sugar scramjet stage? Matbe that would help woth the specific impulse
>>
>>7811312
Use a weather balloon nigger. Less likely to cause the CAA, MI5 and the Queen showing up at your door.
>>
>>7811312
All these posts and not one link to Sugar Shot To Space?
(never mind, I tried to link it, and my post was rejected as spam)

>Can a large sugar rocket (any homemade rocket) break the atmosphere in theory?
Yes.

>Can I build a rocket and attach a camera, and send it to space?
Only if you're rich enough to grease all the right palms or okay with being sent to jail afterward.

It's much harder to get permission to try to launch things into space than it is to launch things into space. This has been the primary obstacle to spaceflight since the 1940s, when some basic effective methods were worked out and widely communicated.

As soon as the technology showed its military potential, governments around the world clamped down on it hard.
>>
>>7812001
Launch it in Africa, no laws there.
>>
>>7811312
I think the current record for a "home made" rocket is about 21km, set by some students. If you have to ask such questions, I doubt you'll make it to 100km.
>>
>>7812001
Shit. Well, whatever.
>>
Bump out of intrest
>>
>>7811312
>>7811324
Kinda this.

You'd need a rocket about the size of a skyscraper to make it into orbit and you'd get some attention for making an ICBM in your backyard.
>>
>>7811312
why do you wanna send shit into space?
>>
>>7812001
>As soon as the technology showed its military potential, governments around the world clamped down on it hard.

It could serve commercial applications too. Imagine being able to order stuff from Amazon in china and have it delivered to your doorstep in a few hours VIA rocket. Military ruins everything.
>>
>>7813511
Sure, but even without nukes, anyone who's mad at you and knows your address would be able to snipe you in bed, and at absolute most, they'd be able to tell when and where it launched from, which could be a random stretch of ocean on a timer.
>>
>>7813511
Yeah, who would'nt want to pay 30 million dollars to have their pair of sneakers delivered to their doorstep at 27 times the speed of sound? Fucking government getting in the way of free markets.
>>
Grabbed by the Government.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.