[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the fuck is there so much "prestige" associated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (41KB, 625x540px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 625x540px
Why the fuck is there so much "prestige" associated with Med students?
>I study Physics in a top 10 university
>"Meh"
Vs
"I'm a Med student in "what the fuck?" University
>Wow you're going to be a doctor?
I know M.D. Programmes are not easy but come on.
>>
>>7811028
Nobody has any kind of understanding of what a doctor of physics does. And a lot of them who do simply do not see it as important as what doctors do. On the other hand, everyone has seen a doctor. Everyone has seen how one of them 'saved' their lives or maybe someone else they know.

However, there is an underlying question here.

WHY DO YOUR CARE?
H
Y

D
O

Y
O
U

C
A
R
E
?
>>
>>7811028
Best post in a while
>>
>>7811033
Holy fuck. An insightful answer on sci to a post like this?

Are you ok anon?
>>
>>7811037
Sorry.

Physics is a meme.
Medicine is a meme.
IQ meme something something
Jewish conspiracy.
>>
>>7811033
>WHY DO YOUR CARE?
It's pretty obvious he just wants recognition for his big bang theory degree.

>>7811028
>muh top 10 university
>muh hard science major
You're taking a bunch of classes and passing. That's what you're supposed to do. Call me when you've gotten past the tutorial and actually did something.
>>
>>7811051
mfw Ph.D.
>Doing research on shit that will benefit humanity in one way or the other
You tell me
>>
>>7811067
I'm sure that when the big bang theory's writers pick up your paper and make a joke with it or titles an episode with it, humanity will be much better off.
>>
Same reason there's so much prestige surrounding engineering. It's people immediately interacting with others for their betterment. Research is important and allows for their advancements and shit, but people don't see the effects of research and believe it's entirely impractical if not applied.
>>
>>7811071
What is Nuclear?
Sure, when the time comes the Engineers will definitely crack the code to fusion.
>>
>>7811081
*stock laughter sound*

Bazinga!
>>
>>7811083
Bazoop
>>
File: 1453483900815s.jpg (3KB, 103x125px) Image search: [Google]
1453483900815s.jpg
3KB, 103x125px
>>7811081
>Engineers
>crack the code to fusion
>>
>>7811037
you found that insightful? are you mentally retarded?
>>
>>7811220

It is sort of an engineering problem at this point.
>>
Doctors are generally applied, while many concepts in physics are yet to be applied (but are still cool as shit).
>>
>>7811028
Welcome to the real world where people care about what you do vs where you studied. The sheer fact that physics grads have to rely on university name to be taken seriously says a lot about the degree. A medical student can get his degree online and still be more respected.
>>
>>7812769

There aren't any online medical schools. Maybe you meant nursing?
>>
>>7813050
Nusing is so embarrassing to me, what's the point of going into medical field if you're not going to become a doctor? What could we possibly need nurses for?
>>
>>7813135
My mum's a nurse, you're an asshole, not everything is about prestige and money , some people just like caring for others.
>>
>>7811028
There is no such thing as a med student in "wtf" university. At least not in the U.S.
Each year, 70% of applicants to U.S. M.D. schools are not admitted to a single school.
The average gpa of all APPLICANTS is 3.6, and the average gpa of those who are accepted is even higher.
Then factor in the difficulty of the MCAT, and the massive amounts of extracurricular involvement (research, volunteering, etc.) that are required to showcase commitment to medicine.
Medicine is literally the most competitive field to enter, at least in the U.S. There's a reason why they're the highest paid white collar professionals on average.
>>7812769
>medical student can get his degree online
How retarded do you have to be to post this?
>>
>>7811028
1. the lab coat. Formal outfits make you look like a serious grown up man, with a serious grown up job.

2. Everybody knows med has the best gender ratios, chances you will living the middleclass dream (I mean if you want your partner to be smart somewhat). While the physicist stereotype is the nerd that no one loves, lacking social skills, no fun to hang out with etc.

3. Having a doctor as a friend is directly beneficial for everyone, having a physicist is rarely an asset.

tldr; it has exactly zero (0) to do with merits and achievements, you should just name your university without your major next time.
>>
>>7814381
So i can just go into a wtf university and be a life of the party. Cool
>>
Try working in the medical field. Doctors are hated because of how autistic and lazy they are. The only doctors that get any respect are the ones working the ER.
>>
>>7814402
Can i into 9-5 general practitioner, charging people 200% for medicine + consultation?
>>
>>7814402
>Doctors are hated because of how autistic and lazy they are.

arrogant maybe, autistic not really

in my country it is also expected to give some cash to the poor doctor after a visit (even though it is covered by your insurance), like a tip, just much larger. And they complain no one loves them, the mind boggles.
>>
>>7814381

This. Plus: People see the demand for medical school and assume that this reflects the intellectual demands of the job.

Also the average person has not heard of investment banking, hedge funds etc. To them, a doctor is a billionaire.
>>
>>7811028
there HAS to be prestige.

>why you ask?

people are dumb. people wouldn't trust doctors if there wasn't artificial prestige around them.
just because of that "created" prestige people get to trust doctors and believe in them.

otherwise they would always bitch.

that's exactly the reason robots are not going to replace doctors soon because dumb people would not trust them:

>hurr i don't believe yA, give me a REAL DOC!

also, phyiscs and math is always "meh"-tier because people are (just as stated like 500 times) retarded and just don't understand math.

>ohh haha, you study phyiscs? I was alwaaaays bad in physics. It's just like big buzinga theory right?!?! xD

only people who studied sciences appreciate physics and math because they know how difficult it can get but as you know most people can't even drive a car properly there is nothing to wonder about.
>>
>>7814420
Holy shit that's bad
>>
>>7811028
and why dont people respect scientists
>>
>>7811028
>calling a physician a doctor when they only have an M.D

Disgusting
>>
>tfw med student in "what the fuck?" University

Kind of sucks. But then I realized that MDs from even best most top flight programs wind up working at no name community hospitals or have corner offices in small town USA and really never amount to anything anyway.
>>
>>7815851

To be fair to doctors, a huge number of them leave early in their career. Something ridiculous like around 50 % of the UK ones leave the profession within 2-3 years after university. These people aren't fooling themselves
>>
>>7815896
same for physics here in germany
>>
>>7815879
How many people go to college for anything and "amount to anything," as you say?
It's fucking absurd to expect even the majority of PhDs to do anything more than put a dissertation on some random bullshit that will never be read by anyone in the university's collection. Genius plays a role in scientific advancement, but the inspiration, the eureka moment itself, is entirely random.

That's fine, because advancement of the field isn't the only thing that people consider "amounting to something." Maintaining and improving a technologically advanced society, creating a successful business, or just helping people in your community are all fulfilling too. People revere doctors, because it's a vital service that requires heavy investment from the people who provide it. That's the person keeping you or your child from dying from some easily treatable condition, patching up broken bones, or providing you with a quality of life through pain relief.

I actually dislike the way most doctors and dentists handle that last bit though. "Oh, you bit a rock and completely decimated your tooth? Alright, I'll be generous and prescribe you some Tylenol..."
>>
>>7815949

It somewhat hard to understand what I meant without being in the medical field. Theres an insane amount of pressure from day one to be always be the best, get the best grades, boards, residency, job, career, life, salary etc.

When in fact, after all the bullshit and stress (which is enormous, and literally dogs you everyday of your training) caused by that mindset the vast majority of physicians are average, and have relatively average careers. Yes they are valuable members of the community, but they never become the wizard of medicine we all expect ourselves to be.
>>
>>7811028
I'm in Physics and I respect most MDs more than some physics grad-student though I'll get to top 10 in a sec. Getting into a MD programme is difficult to being with and their programme is way more loaded and has better standards than physics degrees. Almost anyone can get a physics degree if they do it a crappy school, but MD is a professional degree and so needs to meet a certain regulated standard. Now if you're comparing to top 10 schools, there are a few genuine geniuses, but some really underwhelming individuals also get in who end up working in industry/finance maybe with a nice six figures, but still far less than MDs anyway.

Also unlike this sperg >>7815851 I recognize that something is not more difficult just because it uses more advanced math. Anyone with 3 digits can learn math it's not more difficult than studying a shitton of physiology textbooks. Only completely retards believe it's some kind of innate genetic talent that only few posses. This meme needs to fucking die already, it's actively harmful.

>>7815868
Because 90% of "scientists" are literal lab monkeys and autistic betacucks who studied shit like biotech, food science etc. Physicists are the minority which is why physicists refer to themselves as "physicists" to disconnect the association while lab technician-tier people refer to themselves as "scientists" to reach for the association.
>>
>>7811028
From the perspective of someone currently in my senior year of high school, and looking to go to college for physics or astrophysics, it seems to me like doctors have a far more tangible impact upon the life of the everyday person, especially in the community surrounding the hospital that they work at.

Even medical students working in research fields are still respected, since their work often involves helping to develop techniques, technologies, drugs, etc, that can indirectly save or improve thousands, if not millions of lives.

Meanwhile, even the most genius physicists will rarely be able to make a tangible impact upon the lives of others. In their field they might be greatly respected, but to the average person, they literally don't contribute to society in any meaningful way.

However, I am willing to live with this, and even take pride in it, as while my work will likely go unnoticed, it will nonetheless take humanity one small step closer to stars, which I believe is the inevitable destiny of mankind.
>>
File: 1370320139464.jpg (32KB, 150x207px) Image search: [Google]
1370320139464.jpg
32KB, 150x207px
>>7816040
>Physicists are the minority which is why physicists refer to themselves as "physicists" to disconnect the association while lab technician-tier people refer to themselves as "scientists" to reach for the association.
>>
>>7816089
Don't ever fucking reply to my posts again unless you have something to contribute to the thread.
>>
>>7816977
Don't ever fucking reply to my reply again unless you have something to contribute to my reply.
>>
>>7813584
>Medicine is literally the most competitive field to enter, at least in the U.S.
this is not true. math is much more competetive. especially nowadays when every normalfag want's a math degree.
>>
>>7816999
Are you fucking retarded? The minimum requirements to get into a math programme is a joke, most retarded people can easily get at least a bachelors and even a postgrad at a shitty school. By comparison you need a much higher GPA to get into medschool.

Stop being delusional.
>>
>>7817011
Bro it's easy to get into med school, it's harder to make the prerequisite courses, most wtf universities although i admit has higher average cutoff than the other courses in the university, you can get in without studying like a lifeless autist or be Terrence Tao. Unless you're saying high flying shit like Harvard's accelerated med programme, then you literally need to study like a fucking autist or be really smart. I heard to get in comfortably, you need 99th percentile in MCAT, or also known as full marks, with such a curve good luck getting into Harvard med school.
>>
>>7817045
>you can get in without studying like a lifeless autist or be Terrence Tao.
You can get a math PhD like this too, unless you're saying high flying shit like Princeton.
>>
>>7817050
Exactly my point that Med is no big deal, anyone who gives a fuck of getting in would get in. Problem comes when you want to get into shit like Harvard or Uchicago med school
>>
>>7817058
>Med is no big deal
Yes, but it's still a bigger deal than math.

Again, unless by "math" you mean being a professional academic at a top university.
>>
>>7817060
Honestly, i don't fucking care if Math is a big deal or not, i'm just saying med is not something that should be put on a pedestal among everything else, math can just lie in the dust for all i care.
>>
>>7817058
>>7817045
>>etc
Umm, no. It's not easy to get into med school unless you're talking about like some Peruvian med school.

Not only do you have to have the GPA and MCAT score, which is admittedly not that difficult, you also have to have a full slate of extra-curriculars to include some kind of volunteer work.

Just making the grades is not good enough for med schools. They want to see well rounded, well socialized, and active community participation.
>>
>>7811028
>I study Physics in a top 10 university
lol opinion rejected.
good luck finding a job that pays rent.
>>
Bacteriophages are so hmmmm. Wish I could grow them. I'm better with hair...
>>
>>7811028
an MD saves lives

what does a physicist do other than look at a computer screen and pat himself in the back while deeming himself a genius
>>
>>7817073
mfw Autistic American med school system cannot compare to superior med school system everywhere else. If you're so flustered take the A levels to come to the UK or anywhere else, Australia may accept you, if you want to pay like 300k.
>>
come to Netherlands!
>>
>>7817080
>general practitioner
>saving lives
Heres your band aid prescription so you dont die : ^ )
>>
>>7811028
Well, if you have cancer, you'll die without a doctor.

If there's no physicist there won't be a lot of progress, but at least we don't need them to sustain what we achieved so far in contrast to physicians
>>
>>7817099
And that will be 80 dollars please
>>
>>7817099
what does a physicist do then?

>furthering human progress

get real, buddy
>>
huge competion to enter med school here in sweden, If you go to a fucking wasteland in northern sweden you still need top notch grades to even apply, same goes with the swedish equivalent of GPA and ACT scores, thus it is prestigious as fuck to even be a med student, almost as having a master of science degree in some engineering or scientific degree. However once you are studying medicine, your life is easy. However, as an engineer or Scientist the math- and physics institution will fuck your brains out.
>>
>>7814402

This.

Christ. I was on the fence about it, but went to med school because I had a full ride. I left midway through the first semester because I couldn't stand the autism for another two months, let alone the rest of my life.

The worst thing that happened involved the nicest guy in the program. As a way of keeping up morale, he'd bring in a few dozen donuts at 5 AM on exam days. This was technically against the rules of the library in which he studied, but he always got approval from the librarian on staff and left the room cleaner than he found it. On the day of the third exam, the dean was waiting for him, told they guy what he was doing was wrong, assigned him a handful of additional community service hours, and then apologized for 10 minutes. A few of the other students had been badgering the dean for months to punish this guy. The cabal was a group of friends, one of which wanted into the same specialty as donut guy did. They would openly brag about how they got a mark put on his record just to give their friend an edge two years down the line.
>>
>>7817400
Holy shit, I thought it was just me

I'm a med student and this is pretty much my experience. They're absolute fucking scum, and I respect English majors more than med students.
>>
>>7817400
What the fuck is wrong with scumbags jesus christ.
>>
>>7816040
i never said that learning physiology textbooks is easier than learning mathematics, BUT it isn't harder (implying you are not doin it in the shittiest university). so how why does the prestige exist? i gave an explanation you did not.
>>
>>7817105
>>7817151
>what is medical equipment
>what are computers
>implying anything would work in medicine without mathematicians and physicists
>still living in the dark ages
>>
>>7814402
This.
>working in clinical lab while waiting for grad school
>order requisitions are usually sloppily filled out, written illegibly, nonsensical, missing vital information, or just not filled out at all
>send patient specimens in the wrong container or wrong presevative; and that's if the specimen container was sealed or even there
>gets mad at us when their mistakes mean we can't do a test

As a personal peeve, they love to order microbio cultures Stat. Its literally impossible to do a stat culture; you're patient's insurance doesn't need that.
>>
ITT:
pseudo - prestigious MD students talk about how they are completely not pseudo - prestigious and it's completely justified how they are seen in society.
>>
>>7811083
Zimbabwe
>>
Some anon already said it pretty well, the prestige of the job is created because it's necessary. The patient needs to trust the doctor, otherwise the whole medical system wouldn't work.

Hospitals and other places where doctors work are constructed especially for this. If you come in, what do you see first? Not the doctor. You have to talk to a ton of other people first who always refer to the doctor as, the doctor. They could say his name as well but they never do. Even when you get to the room, he still isn't there, you still have to wait for him to come to you. That all makes you think that hes some sort of super human who's time is incredibly important etc.

There is no need for a physicist to have that amount of prestige to the normal guy, especially cause you normally don't interact with a big amount of people on a daily basis.

TL:DR A Doc needs to be a high horse and therefore it's constructed around him.

If you want to read more about this take a look at Goffman or general clincial sociology.
>>
>>7813135
Doctors are expensive anon. And not just the price of emplying them, but the cost of educating them as well. It makes 0 sense to use doctors in positions where a nurse would do just as well. The world needs ditch diggers as well as professors - arguably even more.
>>
>>7816999
At least here in Europe math is not competitive at all. Literally all you need to get into a good uni is good enough grades from high school, you don't even need to bother with an entrance exam.
>>
>>7816999
>average /sci/ shitposter

it's no wonder everybody makes fun of mathfags
>>
>>7811028
>makes fun of normalfags
>image.jpg

Wew lad. To answer your question, a small minority of people have a working knowledge of physics at any level, and even fewer can appreciate the intelligence required. I get the same glazed-over look when I discuss my research, and I'm just a Chem E.
>>
>>7819628
What about engineering or other professional disciplines?
>>
>>7818117
>so how why does the prestige exist?
Money and relative public exposure.
>>
I love how everyone here thinks MD is easy but struggle with calc 2.
>>
>>7817400
Fucking medfags. I am going to be glad when we can just automate their shitty jobs, and put them out of work.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.