[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Cornell Method a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: cornell-method-note.png (387KB, 1280x1811px) Image search: [Google]
cornell-method-note.png
387KB, 1280x1811px
Good for maths and physics or not?
>>
math no, physics maybe
>>
>>7807881
I've pretty much done that all my uni years. how can this even have a fancy name, it's just common sense
>>
File: 1445187893608.jpg (94KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
1445187893608.jpg
94KB, 500x364px
>>7807881
Oh man, I remember this from middle and high school. Some classes actually forced us to take notes in this method.

Complete shit. Just take notes like a normal human being (everything in one section, spaced as you like as long as it's readable, no wasting time underlining or whatever).
>>
I prefer the Cornell Method over anything else. I don't do it exactly how you're supposed to do it, though.
>>
Are you supposed to summarize every page? Some derivations take like 5 pages... and then there's no really anything to summarize.

I think most /sci/ students write helpful reminders or such in the side of their notes anyway.
>>
>>7807974
This.
>>
>>7807881
who takes notes I just read slides and textbooks
>>
>>7807881
>asks you to take concise notes
>still has you make TWO fucking summaries of those concise notes

utter shit, make ONE set of concise fucking all-purpose notes and don't write useless crap
>>
>>7807881
>is it a meme

spaced repetition improves recall.
>>
>>7807881

All "study skills" are memes. The only way to learn anything is to think about it.
>>
>>7807881
everyones note taking style is different. you develop it through your studies. don't subscribe to any one format, but just keep improving by reflecting what worked for you and what didn't.
>>
>>7807974
Same here. I fucking hated it and im positive 100% didnt liked that shit

My notes are incomprehensible to everyone but me
>>
>>7807881
Objectively best way of taking notes:
>write down everything the professor says abbreviated to the point of unreadability
>use saved time to doodle on margins
>shove notes in backpack after lecture
>before exam take them out and shove them in the trash
>learn from books/internet
>>
Where room for sample problems?
>>
I only use the outline method
- using dots or dashes to add definitions or descriptions is better
- - better than the stupid cornell system

Who needs a summary at the bottom of a page for notes?
- retards with low iq
>>
>>7807881

I generally try to write down everything that's put up on the board. Just because as I'm learning material it's hard, for me at least, to tell what's very important.

I just put a little star next to it in the margins if it seems important right off the bat.

I don't do summaries. I usually just review my notes at the end of the day, make sure everything makes sense, and put very important points on a know-this-by-heart sheet I keep towards the back of the notebook.
>>
>>7807881
I use a similar style for rewriting my notes (I put key definitions/identities on the left side, main hunk is for examples/more in depth discussion, then the bottom is a very short description of what's on the page so I can find stuff quickly in my notes), but to me that's a ridiculous way to actually take notes. I've had professors fill the board with information, then lecture on something entirely different expecting students to be able to take both groups of information down. You have to do what you have to do to get that info down. After class, you can get fancy with your organization. During class, you just get the shit down in a way you can understand.

Oh, and randomly abbreviating stuff? It takes more time to figure out a sensible abbreviation to write down than to just write the word. Sure, there are common terms/abbreviations, but figure out how you'll abbreviate outside of class. Otherwise, at best you're losing time, at worst, you're creating reams of unintelligible notes.
>>
>>7807881
Math no, physics yes. One is pure and can't be learned through rote memorization and the other is a body of work that can't maintain itself unless replicated studiously. I'll clarify my thoughts if you can properly invite me in: >>>/x/17268322

Ironic, then, that I should comment on this.
>>
>>7807881
Whatever works for you is the best way to take notes, just gotta try a bunch of stuff out.

The best way for me now is very autistic but hey, it works. I solely pay attention to what the professor is saying, then after I've heard it, I write a summarized blurb. At some later point in the lecture when my attention is weak, I like to read what I wrote earlier, and look at a person/object in the room simultaneously and create some basic association -- sometimes I'll write the word of the specific object next to the infomation if course material is dense. Then when I can't quite remember something during a test, and I look at the flag hanging adjacent to the white board, it seems to really help me recall more effectively and efficiently when I've mentally connected the abstract thought to something tangible. It's neat at the end of the semester when you can sit in the class and look around the room, and it's as if the information is sitting there with you, physically.
>>
>>7809914
Integrating the Platonic world of ideals into your neural memory is an abuse of cognition that you'll soon regret.
>>
>>7809950
I assume you have good intentions, but your post didn't make a sliver of sense to me, man. What is a "neural" memory? As opposed to what other kind of memory?
>>
>>7807974
I find if I underline enough shit I don't need margins.
>>
>>7809966
As opposed to the kind that matters. It was never my intent to let the brain be used erratically.
>>
>>7809836
/thread
>>
>>7807881

Notes are kind of stupid desu, if you have some material the course works off of. You are there to watch somebody explain a concept and how to work through it, not write your own third-class textbook on the matter. Pay attention, ask questions, and read the text.
>>
>>7807881

The best way to take notes is

>Every lecture starts on a new page clearly marked
>Every lecture is DATED
>Every page is numbered
>>
I recommend learning Japanese (kanji) and Latin to take notes. The use of kanji will save you a lot of space over the English alphabetic system and Latin doesn't come with articles and other bloat. I use a mix of kanji and Latin, whatever is faster to write in the moment. I'm learning Hebrew now to try because the absence of vowels interests me. I've heard ancient Chinese is even more compact than Japanese, I might try that out after I learn Hebrew.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.