[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best edition of Euclid's Elements? The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: 9781888009187.jpg (40KB, 400x430px) Image search: [Google]
9781888009187.jpg
40KB, 400x430px
What's the best edition of Euclid's Elements?

The only complete version I can find is this one, but as you can see there's a couple of problems with it.
>>
>>7805851
The edition where you come up with the axioms yourself and the prove everything on your own.

Or what, are you a pussy bitch ass liberal arts major?
>>
>>7805851
http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/elements/elements.html
>>
>>7805851
>as you can see there's a couple of problems with it
What problems?
>>
>>7805905
>as you can see

He obviously means that there is a woman on the cover.

Women are too stupid for geometry, what is this bullshit?
>>
>>7805905
>>7805909
There's 2 problems with it. Dana Densmore, the Jewish editor is depicting Euclid as black on the cover and he is drawing a star of David. I don't really care about a woman being on the cover nor are women too stupid for geometry, that is just a silly thing to say.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but when you google her name you see a lot of crazy shit.
>>
>>7805923
>Dana Densmore
Dana Densmore, on celibacy - A Radical Transfeminist
radtransfem.tumblr.com/post/36816907222/dana-densmore-on-celibacy
Dana Densmore, on celibacy http://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/scriptorium/wlm/fun-games1/#celibacy “ This is a call not for celibacy but for an acceptance of ...

What the fuck is a transfeminist?
>>
>>7805923
>we wuz maths n shieet
>>
>>7805927
>What the fuck is a transfeminist?
I'm guessing new type of feminism, like those transhumanists? What ever it is it's my new trigger word
>>
File: Untitled.png (31KB, 648x289px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
31KB, 648x289px
>>7805935
It's definitely trigger-worthy.
>>
>>7805944
What the fucking fuck. What is wrong with the world
>>
>>7805949
It at times like these that I really wish I was gay
>>
>>7805923
There's no reason to be paranoid about that though.

If you actually did significant research (and not just panic-stricken tinfoil hat shit by looking at the cover art) you'd see that Elements proper in that book are Thomas Heath translation that's been in use since the 1800s.
>>
>>7805989
But Euclid is black on the cover for Christ's sake.
>>
>>7806005
if you're so hung up on the picture on the cover that it's more important to you than the math inside you probably shouldn't be reading the Elements anyway
>>
>>7806005
So...? Paint him over you lazy nigger
>>
>>7805923
/pol/ pls
>>
>>7805989
But she has edited it. That means that, although the bulk of the work is Heath's, some words have been changed as well as possibly the organization (paragraph breaks, etc.). This brings in bias.
>>
>>7806014
If course all of the possible anti-woyman words have been removed, such as deep, hard, long, fast, strong.
>>
>>7805851

Assuming you want an English translation, Thomas Heath's translation has been standard in English for about a century, IIRC. This is available in three cheap Dover volumes (my set), but IIRC the same basic thing was also combined into a Barnes and Noble omnibus, which you can find by just waltzing into any large B&N with a DECENT (by BN standards) math-science section.

It's the type of thing that a bookstore likes to to able to say it stocks, being an important text in western civilization.

Of course, you can easily get Euclid over the internet or internet commerce, if you are sufficiently determined (I understand you can just place orders for things online and they get delivered to your door, these days, those crazy kids). But since OP sounds like a person after my own heart and prefers to just pick things up in real stores, do this OP: find a new-retail general bookstore that's "good enough", and write down the EANs of one of the above sets, and have them bring it in. Or if you're feeling adventurous, volunteer your credit-card data to dover's payment solution that I bet exists.
>>
yikes euclidean geometry
>>
I have this edition. It's nice. There's nothing wrong with it.
Also
>learning geometry from the elements
hipsters of the math world, seriously. do you carry a slate and chalk around with you or are you so hipster you only do geometry in sand at the beach with a stick?
>>
>>7805923
holy shit are you dumb or just baiting? anyone who isn't a retarded nigger knows that the cover art comes from Raphael's painting " The School of Athens".
>>
>>7805851
Any translation + "Geometry: Euclid and Beyond" by Robin Hartshorne as minatory concurrent reading
>>
>>7806005
No he's not, that's his shadow. Here, this can explain it to you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOIGOT88Aqc
>>
>>7805923
>editor is depicting Euclid
>implying the editor did cover art
gtfo fgt pls
>>
>>7805923
What in the fuck?

I have that book. It's pretty good. it's fucking Euclid for fuck's sake OP what did you expect.

Not even sure why you're reading Euclid anyway to be honest. It isn't going to help you, at all. People don't even teach it anymore really. It's just good as a historical mathematical book these days. So unless you intend to become a professor of historical mathematics, not sure why the fuck you care which version you are using.
>>
>>7805927

Raphael's School of Athens: A Jewnigger Conspiracy
>>
>>7806340

Woops meant to reply to:

>>7805923
>>
>>7806098
The person traditionally believed to be Euclid (or possibly Archimedes) is standing in the picture. The person framed in the book cover is not a known person. Look at the full picture, a whole lot of hover hands there.
>>
File: finger.gif (2MB, 196x300px) Image search: [Google]
finger.gif
2MB, 196x300px
>>7805923
>being this much /pol/
>>
>>7805923
Are you trying to offend trans-racial bisexual jews ? Check your privilege pls
>>
>>7806005
How do you even know he´s black maybe he´s just tanned. Plus his nose looks normal.
>>
File: 1280px-La_scuola_di_Atene.jpg (497KB, 1280x912px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-La_scuola_di_Atene.jpg
497KB, 1280x912px
>>7806789
the book cover is literally this part
>>
>>7805851https://books.google.com/books?id=KHMDAAAAYAAJ

Seems good enough to do the job.
>>
>>7806980
I know. What I pointed out was that the emphasis on that cover was NOT Euclid.
>>
>>7805851
>What's the best edition of Euclid's Elements?

The first, every other edition is just dumbed down for the younger generation.
>>
File: 2.jpg (263KB, 1610x699px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
263KB, 1610x699px
>>7807402
well at least his arm is
>>
>>7805851

According to /sci/, euclidean geometry isn't even mathematics.

Real mathematics starts with topology.
>>
>>7806980
To be fair to OP, Euclid on the cover appears to have been darkened and he's drawing a star of David on the cover.
>>
>>7807623
it's the same shit he draws on the original

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/La_scuola_di_Atene.jpg
>>
>>7805923

I literally loled at this post.
>>
>>7805851
>>7805923

It's time to end your life, OP.
>>
>>7807666
thank you satan
>>
>>7805851
euclid is un niggero
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.