[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Basic Common Ion Effect

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: file.png (24KB, 731x112px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
24KB, 731x112px
Hey guys, chemistry noob here. Can you help me with the questions in pic related and explain the answers to me, give me the basic idea of common ion effect on solubility?

Am I right for the first question?: The concentration of Pb2+ goes up, Cl- goes down and equilibrium shifts to the reactants and lowers the solubility.
>>
>>7804885
Yes, you are correct in your reasoning.

Ions which do not participate in the reaction (e.g. any of the other ones except Cl- in NaCl) do not affect the equilibrium.
>>
>>7804891
But am I correct to assume that adding H2O will increase solubility? Also what happens to the solubility when adding compounds that don't share a common ion?
>>
>>7804897
Since it's aqueous, and solubility product is determined by molarity, not absolute mole content, yes, adding more H2O will increase the amount of Pb2+ in the solution, but the concentration itself will not increase. Adding compounds that do not share a common ion will not affect concentration either, as the reaction quotient will not change.
>>
Also for question e) Br will form a precipitate with Pb2+, what effect will it have on the concentration of Pb2+, Cl-, PbCl2, and what will happen to the solubility?
>>
>>7804921
>concentration
sorry I meant amount
>>
>>7804921
Oh, since it forms a precipitate, it will change the concentration- meaning it will increase the solubility of PbCl2 (insoluble solids are not included in the reaction quotient)
>>
>>7804932
Hmm so what happens to the concentrations? and why would the solubility go up if there is a precipitate?
>>
>>7804940
>>7804932
plz halp
>>
>>7805005
If there's a precipitate, products are removed. This means that the reaction quotient is smaller than the equilibrium constant, resulting in more reactants reacting. The concentrations will ultimately stabilize at equilibrium, but more of the reactants will dissolve.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.