[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did anyone else go to a university of a lower standard than what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: Sad-Frog-Meme-Smiling-14.jpg (52KB, 604x517px) Image search: [Google]
Sad-Frog-Meme-Smiling-14.jpg
52KB, 604x517px
Did anyone else go to a university of a lower standard than what you could've gone to? I had the best grades in my school, better grades than almost anyone who goes to private schools even though I went to a regular school, and had good enough grades for any university in my country. But I had zero advice about the importance of university rankings, the worth of degrees etc. I picked an engineering degree at my hometown university. It definitely wasn't a disastrous choice in terms of career (respected subject, plus a university ranked in the top 150 of the world) but in terms of an intellectual experience it was a complete shoah.

I really resented the fact (a fact that I only realised in the middle of my degree) that my courses were watered down versions of other universitys' courses, with less depth and breadth to everything. I find that comparing introductory maths courses (as these are the most common and standardised across universities) can be the most illustrative thing for comparing STEM courses. It's infuriating how low the standards are in my university's courses. But it's also laughable to read about the standards of the students. One of my university's introductory STEM maths courses had a pass rate of only 75 % and you wouldn't fucking believe it if you saw the course. It probably has less than half the content of the equivalent MIT course (single variable calculus).

Now extrapolate one out of eight courses a year by eight times for a year's difference in educational value. Then by the number of years in a degree. It's depressing.

There's more of substance I can say but I've already scared away the ADD readers. All I will add is that looking at most university pages on Wikipedia is very depressing. What huge monuments to mediocrity and shitty levels of rigour and (though not in my case) student debt.
>>
>>7803671
I thought most undergrad classes were watered down filth taught by people pissed off at having to teach something below them to idiots, half of whom would drop out before the end of the year.
>>
>>7803671
Did you already graduate?
Do you have a job now?
Is this just a regret thread for the sake of regretting?
>>
>>7803671
If you're so smart you'd realize that formal education is primarily about purchasing credentials. The education portion of it is a distant second, it's only there along with testing to screen out retards so the credentials still mean something. If every degree required you to know the full width and breath of a certain subject matter, you'd be in fucking school until you were 55 years old.

You got your fancy paper saying you're passably competent, if you're still curious, go research what you want to know on your own, or go get employed and learn from experience.
>>
Undergrad doesnt matter anyway. Its all about the grad school. If your uni was so easy you should have a high enough gpa to transfer to a prestigious grad school.

If youre not planning on going further than bachelor's then the uni never mattered and youre just a whinger
>>
I planned to go to Clemson but a shittier local 4-year gave me a full ride so I chose to have a shittier education rather than have mountains of college debt.

Don't get me wrong, I know there was a palpable difference. But I developed pretty strong autodidact skills and now I work in logistics for a predatory lending corporation.
>>
>>7805048

I've graduated and failed tonnes of interviews for great jobs in teh past few years due to my lack of social skills. I got those interviews probably mainly because in my country graduate employers still care about your school grades.
>>
I had a 35 act, volunteer/leadership experience/good gpa. I think I could have gotten into cs at uiuc or maybe even Stanford(one of my classmates with similar quals got in) but instead I want to a shitty state school to follow a girl
>>
>>7803671
I've passed on a PhD job at the LHC. I've given up the chance to be part of the largest manmade experiment to date.

Because of a woman.

Ah well .. I guess I'm alright where I am now. Of course the woman isn't here anymore.
>>
Don't you have something better to do in your life than tell strangers on the internet about how you " really are smart no guys trust me?"
>>
I could have gone to Harvard, Yale, or MIT, but I slacked off in high school and am now in Big State Uni. I take honors classes, though.
>>
File: 1445746881185.jpg (1MB, 2252x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1445746881185.jpg
1MB, 2252x3000px
>>7805668
>to follow a girl

unless you impregnated her or are sure you have rights over her womb for your child, do not do that
>>
>>7805668
learn from
>>7805677
>>
File: 1449887283999.jpg (162KB, 780x726px) Image search: [Google]
1449887283999.jpg
162KB, 780x726px
>>7803671
>a complete shoah.
Into the oven
>>
>>7803671
>Did anyone else go to a university of a lower standard than what you could've gone to?

Yeah, I went to Berkeley.
>>
>>7805745
4 years into the relationship now. We're both going to grad school in more prestigious places next fall. I'm okay with my choice

Ok thanks for letting me blog here
>>
>>7803671

>It probably has less than half the content of the equivalent MIT course (single variable calculus).

Apples to Oranges. MIT's Calc I and II courses cover the same materials as Calc I, II and III. Most MIT students have gotten 4 and 5's on their BC calc course from High School (Placed out of Calc), and don't even take those courses. I don't attend MIT though, so can't say beyond that.

Engineering Programs definitely differ in quality, but if you're half intelligent, self motivated, etc.; you'll do fine. It's mostly the piece of paper to get your foot in the door.

>>7803826

You could say the same about grad classes.
>>
>>7805685
>I could have gone to Harvard, Yale, or MIT
>but I slacked off in high school

So you're basically like most people? Congrats.
>>
>>7803671
>I picked an engineering degree at my hometown university.
>It definitely wasn't a disastrous choice in terms of career (respected subject, plus a university ranked in the top 150 of the world)

So, what's the problem?

>but in terms of an intellectual experience it was a complete shoah.

This sounds like a bunch of bullshit. What the fuck is an "intellectual experience"? No one gives a shit. You completed an engineering degree in a respected field at one of the top-150 schools in the world (your words).
>>
Yes. I went to a university that might be scored lower in official rankings, but has a better atmosphere, better teachers, a small faculty where I know everyone, hotter girls, fewer autistic people, lots to do...
A nice mix of prestige and academics.
>>
>>7806465
>Still in a relationship with his high-school sweetheart after going through a 4 year party school.
>Gf is decent and hard working enough to get into grad-school.
I wish normal people like you would post on /r9k/ etc. so they can stop being faggots.
>>
>>7806287
Thanks for good kek
>>
>>7808173
Butthurt is strong with this one
>>
>>7805677

What a fucking cuck.
>>
File: Galton.jpg (116KB, 1358x800px) Image search: [Google]
Galton.jpg
116KB, 1358x800px
>>7803671
While reading your post I was instantly reminded of this passage from Francis Galton.

What an insightful guy he was!
>>
>>7805677
If you really wanted that PhD and had a awesome opportunity like that I will tell you that your choice was probably the worst I've have heard from a smart guy.
>>
File: 1445288945834.jpg (149KB, 500x608px) Image search: [Google]
1445288945834.jpg
149KB, 500x608px
>tfw you went to Harvard and got a PhD
>tfw you were too much of a brainlet to learn about the Superharvard division and their SPhD. system to create super geniuses with 4 digit IQs that can triple integrate banach spaces

anyone else having these feels?
>>
File: 1398884865280.png (100KB, 641x403px) Image search: [Google]
1398884865280.png
100KB, 641x403px
>tfw transferring from a uni that was top 20 in the world for my program to a bottom tier university in my country for a different major
I feel conflicted
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.