/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So.../sci/ I'm 35...didn't pay attention in highschool.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: p0257vk5.jpg (18KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
p0257vk5.jpg
18KB, 624x351px
So.../sci/ I'm 35...didn't pay attention in highschool.
My father passed away last week after taking care of him for 14 months (cancer) but I've finally found what I enjoy in life and want to do.
I fucking love science. I love every branch, I love the curiosity.
Downside?
I'm 35, no degree, no classes, just what I teach myself currently through discussions and lectures online.

How does someone my age go about building the ground work to get a career with NASA?
Yes, it's a long shot.
Yes, I don't have the greatest math skills.
I'm ambitious as fuck, I don't quit.

How do I integrate the characteristics I have and the passion I've found for science into a job, at such a late stage.
I constantly see 12 year old kids and shit just breezing through math, engineering.

It all seems so intimidating and I feel like nobody would take the time to work with me.

Classes seem to ahead of what I know (they require highschool cal classes, etc)

tl;dr
>35 year old anon finally realized he loves science, has no previous education in math or science but what I've taught myself.
How do I make this a possibility?
Looking into computer science areas mostly, but I'm also interested in an astronaut career.
>>
forget about it you are too old.
>>
>>7800953
This has been posted now 3 tonnes over the past 6 months... I'm on to you
>>
You sound like a retard. I wouldn't get my hopes up if I was you.
>>
Variation of forced copy-pasta. Not funny because people actually believe this shit is possible. sage.
>>
>>7800956
>>7800959
>>7800967
Okay, well nevermind.
Thanks for making me feel even worse guys.

See you all obviously have been into this shit for how long now??

i was a sport kid.
I made the mistake of playing sports and fucking offf.

I had to go through the worst moments of my life to finally find something I enjoyed.

now, I'm looking at a desolate highway, no gas in my tank and just trying to make it through.

Now are you guys just going to keep shitting on a person that wants to be like you or are you all just going to continue belittling someone who is just trying..

I don't understand that mindset...I
>>
>>7800959
I think it's more like 50-60 times but idk

the part i don't understand is whoever makes the thread sticks around to get butthurt at the responses

that's either really fucking dedicated trolling or one super autistic OP
>>
>>7800970
Why even bring up the cancer thing with your dad
It's like you want people to feel sorry for you. you don't get it buddy you don't just walk into a career like this you need to work at it for a lifetime.
>>
>>7800986
I was supposed to go into Naval Intel (Cryptology).
I backed out when my father was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.
Took care of him for 14 months, everyday, every hour.

So yes, I waited after college because it was go to some random location on the planet or stay with my father and be here when he dies.

Those people that "work at it for a lifetime" already knew that's what they wanted, so to try to make it seem like I'm just waltzing in like some douche is just annoying.

No shit, I don't just GEt it.You think I'm that fucking retarded?

Obviously I'll have to work for it, but maybe if you weren't such a cunt and decided to give me some pointers on where to start, this would be a more productive thread and I would actually learn something.

However, it seems like you just want to shit on someone that is trying becausee......well I don't know.

So fuck you, it's the entitled faggots like you that diminish the goals of others.

Life is hard...what the fuck have you gone through faggot, give me that shit.
>>
>>7800970
this is 4chan what did you expect

also sorry but it may be too late for you

it's shit but after you fail the early period of your live you can't do anything at all later on
>>
>>7800970
>Now are you guys just going to keep shitting on a person that wants to be like you or are you all just going to continue belittling someone who is just trying..
>I don't understand that mindset...I

Well, fuck'em. Go outside pick a fucking book about whatever you're hungrier for, and start building some real knowledge about it. Then go to study that shit in a university. Keep it up. It will take a while, but the world could certainly use another person who is willing to do some science.

If someone tells you that you can't: fuck them too!
>>
>>7800991
>after you fail the early period of your live you can't do anything at all later on

Absolute bullshit
You just have a real bad attitude
>>
dont ever post this thread and kill yourself. You will be helping humanity more than you ever could if you try to get into science.
>>
>>7800980
The "butthurt" responses are copy-pasta too...
>>
>>7800995
>Absolute bullshit
nope it isn't
>>
>>7800995
>Absolute bullshit
Not really, you'll never get into bachelor programmes for top schools or good medical programmes etc.

There are age limits on any tax subsidised programme (that is too say, all of them, excluding art etc.) because for example it's unfair to train a 35 year old MD who will end up only working for 22 years before retiring vs. training an 18 year old (or 22 for Americans) who will be working for much longer.

And there's also neuro plasticity to consider; it's far harder for someone that old to "rewire" and learn new skills and knowledge than someone younger or someone who's been in academia and/or working intellectually stimulating careers their whole life.
>>
>>7801008
>>7800995
I just want some fucking advice on classes to take, something, fucking anything.
I'm not irresponsible for 35, just desperate and depressed.

I'm not asking you faggots to do shit for me...is that sooooo fucking hard to understand????

I JUST want some fucking information on how to start.
If that's so hard...why the fuck are you guys here?
Why are you interested in science if it's just to fuck with people who are just like you???

Oh, my path wasn't yours?
tell me more about how I'm a piece of shit for not being you....

Every situation is different gentlemen...would be nice if I got a fucking break
>>
you want to work for pretty much the most prestigious organization in science and you have zero scientific background, good luck with that dumbass
>>
>>7801009
It's kind of obvious, isn't it? You want to do anything science or anything technical, you need to go to college and learn the background material to do that.

Your goal is to get back up to speed with your HS math and science and find a way to finance college.
>>
>>7801012
>>7801017
Do you fucking people NOT read what you type??

>I want to work for pretty much the most prestigious organization in science but I don't know exactly where there, oh I also have zero scientific background"
aaaaaand now I'm being bitched at about the specifics of a company I'll obviously NEVER work for?
Oh okay, let's just piece apart my grammar now since we're going that deep into this.

Fuck people...what do you expect!?
I HAVE NO EDUCATION IN THIS SHIT.
I'll repeat that for anons that are fucking retarded here..

NO, I obviously don't know shit about the industry,.
YES saying I want to work for NASA is fucking retarded, I know I'll never get it.

Can you blame me for striving while I'm stuck in ignorance?? Why NOT shoot for the best possible outcome? Why is that a bad thing?
I was under the assumption that ambition was a positive attribute to hold in life.
>>
>>7801017
Why are you unironically replying to copy-pasta?

OP is that you? Stop bumping this shit already, everyone has seen it by now.
>>
>>7801019
Sorry, I don't speak retard-ese. Was there an actual question in there?

>>7801020
'Cause it pisses off sperglords like you.
>>
>>7801020
Why are you unironically replying to copy-pasta?
>>
>>7801026
Why are you unironically replying to copy-pasta copy-pasta?

>>
>>7801008

You're pretty off about the medical field. If you integrate your late start in medicine into an overall life story you can easily start a career at age 50+. This is a thing and many people do it.

Don't be neckbeard exhibit A, anon.
>>
>>7800953
Classic sci pasta lol
>>
>>7800953>>7800953
I'll be that faggot that says...don't let the depressed other fags ruin your interest. Bullshit thread or not, if you really love science then do it as a hobby. It's not always about being able to do and get involved with the science, but be knowledgeable about medical trends, discoveries and other important information for human growth. Then teach your offspring those concepts of how much there is to explore in the world of science. Whether you are going to get far or not, betting yourself as a human being regardless of age, still increases the human development aa a species.
>>
>>7801569
Wow autocorrect is a bitch. Point is, enjoy science as a hobby, and help spread that knowledge to others, or get involved in the volunteer research field
>>
>>7800953
1. Enroll in community college and get GREAT grades
2. Transfer to a nice state university after a few years
3. Find your passion and get GREAT grades
4. Go to grad school and begin your career

It is 100% possible to do, but I'll be honest OP, I don't think you have what it takes. This is a pipe dream, a spur of the moment kind of thing.
Regardless, I hope you succeed.
>>
File: tumblr_nz1lkzVx9j1r559klo2_400.gif (895KB, 400x398px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nz1lkzVx9j1r559klo2_400.gif
895KB, 400x398px
>tfw I fell for this "bait" the 2nd time it was posted
>tfw still not sure if bait or serious question
>>
>>7800953
Nice pasta.
>>
>>7801714
>not sure if bait or serious question
every single response is copypasted itself
take a wild guess wether this may actually be a serious question if all the OP does is copy stuff from a spreadsheet and insert it as response to a legit post

saged
reported
hidden
filtered
>>
Kill yourself. You are a stupid piece of shit, a stain on humanity. You will amount to nothing no matter how hard you try. I bet you are fat and ugly as well. Girls would rather commit suicide than be with you.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.