[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/, just passing by but I have a very simple question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: img_1410.jpg (171KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
img_1410.jpg
171KB, 800x534px
Hey /sci/, just passing by but I have a very simple question for you. Fucking plants, how do they work?

How do they react to changes in weather? How does a fucking plant twist itself completely in a day just to get more sunlight? How does a tree decide where to grow a new branch? How to deal with injuries?

I think I'm missing something very basic here and I would like to fix it.
>>
File: 1.png (1MB, 2000x1021px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
1MB, 2000x1021px
Shit, man, people are spending their whole lives on that shit, I don't think you'll find a satisfactory answer here
>>
>>7798513
Honestly, I would be grateful even for some book or article recommendations. This shit is killing me, but I don't even know where to start. Botany is a field I know next to nothing about.
>>
>>7798504
That's a lot of questions and some parts of them are still not fully understood. What I can tell you is a bit about how does the tree know where to grow a branch from my classes some years ago. When the shoot (think branch) of the plant grows, there are certain chemicals called auxins that cause a response called phototropism in the plant, basically causing the branch to bend closer to the light. I think it works by detecing a lot of light in a certain part of the branch, and then concentrating (moving) closer to the middle of the branch and pushing to a certain direction in order to bend the branch to the side of the light or something like that, although its mechanism is still not fully understood. I'll look into the other questions further and see if I can help you.
>>
>>7798536
Thank you, anon. For some reason I find this issue very fascinating. It's just, how can something even coordinate functions so complex without a nervous system? Fuckin' incredible stuff.
>>
>>7798559
Yes it is fascinating indeed. However, the stimuli and the responses that plants have for them do not require a nervous system, for example when a plant is under a lot of light stress, certain phytochromes are activated to absorb more of it and prevent damage from light irradiation occurring. Most responses to stimuli that plants have are like this more or less, albeit some of them much more complicated.
>>
>>7798569
I didn't even know they can do that. Alright then, so what comes next is that I read up on auxins, phototropism, and phytocromes to get some basic understanding of how thin thing works. Any sources you know of that are good or should be avoided? Sadly I lack the necessary filters to separate truth from bullshit, although I suppose since this is only casual interest on my part it doesn't matter all that much.

Thanks, man. I hope you have pride in what you are studying because this is cool as shit.
>>
>>7798598
Just a biofag here, I just happen to remember the basics of plant biology from first year as I did not pick any modules relevant to plants again after these which is why I cannot answer all of the questions you have. Unfortunately I remember all of this from my uni lecture slides, so about the only good source that I can recommend are textbooks, like the ones on 4chan wiki: http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Biology_Textbook_Recommendations on plant bio. Maybe somebody else can help you more with sources. Hope you find what you want.
>>
i think plants are pretty well understood it's just very complex

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropism
>>
>>7798504
There you go pal:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropism
>>
>>7798504
Anon so much about plants is unknown. They are conscious, have been known to exhibit quantum entanglement, have 'Spirit' as in DMT, and are the main cause of evolution. Any relationship between an animal and plant will develop a new strain of the plant upon the secretion of feces or through the death and birth of the animal. I believe it is the reason God required blood sacrifices long ago, and the exact reason Jesu died on the cross bleeding out for days; evolution. All we are is biology, God, men, plants, it explains it all.
>>
>>7798926
>>
stimuli and positive feedback loops you absolute retard
>>
>>7798932
Hey
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.