[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finished school with a math degree. Just got a job as a data

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

File: simple-classifiers.png (39KB, 777x362px) Image search: [Google]
simple-classifiers.png
39KB, 777x362px
Finished school with a math degree. Just got a job as a data analyst using the python data analysis stack.

Am I doing it right, /sci/?
>>
>>7797903
I don't know. You tell me.
What data will yo analyse? How much are you getting payed?
>>
Do you get 300k starting ?
>>
>>7797911
All sorts of data since it's a service not a product

$65k
>>
>>7797903
You're joining a million other coders doing mentally intensive labor for an artificially depressed cost (due to the nonexistent barrier of entry).

Good job making a living though, just try and distinguish yourself by doing high quality technical work. You're not stuck shopping think pieces around to shitty publications like non STEM fags, so thank the lord for that.
>>
>>7797921
>coding
>mentally intensive

do you have autism?
>>
>>7797916
You're not doing it right son...
>>
>>7797927
Compared to a majority of other professions, it certainly is, and requires a comparatively high level of skill and training...
>>
how'd you get the job?
>>
>>7797927
$20 says you couldn't solve a single problem at an ACM contest
>>
>>7797927
hahaha
>>
>>7797916
Fine for a first job I guess, you should have done actuarial science or risk management
>>
>>7797903
Depends where you live. If it is California, you are making minimum wage.
>>
>>7797903
OP I am about to finish with a math degree.

Will I be able to find a job?
Please, I am terrified. I will do literally any job, math related or not, so long as it gets me above the poverty line. I am serious about this. I need to pay basic rent and food.
>>
>>7799314
I will literally clean toilets for 30k a year and this is coming from an ivy league school. Help me I am terrified.
>>
>>7799315
>>7799314
Pls respond.
>>
>>7799326
What did you do in college? Where you active? Did you do anything outside of class? What kind of grades did you make? Did you minor in anything?

I find that all of those play an important role in finding a job right out if college
>>
>>7799326
Did you do any internships?
>>
>>7799330
I didn't ask for your life story.
>>
>>7799340
>posting your linkedin on 4chan
oh god why
>>
>>7799333
I am applying to about 30-40 per day right now. No, never had an internship. These next two weeks are my only hope.
>>
>>7799342
>implying it's even his
>>
>>7799343
Wtf were you doing during your summers?
>>
>>7799344
>mfw this is an elaborate ruse by OP to make one of his departmental rivals seem unemployable
very clever OP
>>
>>7799347
First summer fresh out of high school I backpacked across South Korea out of the blue. There have been 2 summers since then. The first one I really did just go home but was paid to watch a house and for a few weeks of that I traveled around and slept out of my car for a few weeks. That was interesting.

The second summer I had just finished studying abroad in South Korea again and was living out of my fiancee's house there and traveling around every day. Then took a few weeks to backpack around Thailand and Laos after that before returning to school.

Tl;dr: Traveling
>>
>>7799351
What about me is unemployable?
>>
>>7799352
If your Korean language skills are strong and you can find an internship with, maybe, a nonprofit doing some form of internet finance work then you can probably pull a decent career out if your ass
>>
>>7799354
see >>7799342

now any employers who google your linkedin url will see how desperate "you" are
>>
>>7799352
>>7799354
I'm surprised UPenn student resources didn't set you up with anything.

Anyway I got an applied math undergrad from a shitty ass state school and am employed so I think you'll be fine m8
>>
>>7799358
Ok. My bad. I get it.

>>7799357
My Korean skills are very strong. But I always thought that was absolutely useless for everything except talking to my wife and her family.

I have a little work experience. A little bit, but it's part time and nothing special, mostly service and such. I can also program a little.
I like finance though and am trying to learn more about it.

I'm also taking the actuarial exams. That should make a world of difference right?

>>7799361
Well I am seeing them again tomorrow,

I'm only a junior in the university.

I just need to find a job when I graduate and I'm very worried about it because I need it to happen rather quickly after graduating. I will spend all of my last semester (2016 fall, so this year) looking for a job. I'll apply as much as I possibly can every single day. Surely that will help right?

If I can pass 3 actuarial exams (I'm almost done with the second one now) I should be able to get a job with my math degree, eventually, right?
>>
>>7799363
Yeah I'm not so sure what you're worried about, you have a whole year left to find a job.

You should be fine, just study up and get good grades
>>
>>7799372
Ok I will try to do this.

The reason I'm worried is because, as I've kind of hinted at, my situation is that I need to get a job rather quickly out of college for the sake of funding my wife and me. Just rent and food in an apartment is about it (I have no debt or anything like that).
But she has a little trouble finding work as an immigrant (she's trying) and so it's a little difficult.

I know I put myself in this situation. I know and you can scold me about how stupid I am, but that's the reason I'm worried. I am trying to make myself as employable as possible so that hopefully SOME opportunity will arise by the time I graduate or within the 2-3 month period after in which time I can reasonably take care of us without a job.

Gonna study very hard for the remaining actuary exams and hope something good comes out of it. Also going to try and bury the one F I received in Topology 2 years ago away.
>>
>>7797916
Don't listen to these dipshits.
$65k/yr is a solid starting salary for anyone with bachelor's degree.

Use your work experience to get a Master's in stats or ML or something of the sort in a year or two. This data analyst wave is going to crash hard the way software engineering did, better to be somebody with real skills. Right now everyone entering at the entry level couldn't finish a basic course in probability theory or mathematical statistics, but it doesn't matter because no one cares about methodology they just want code monkeys and data based "insight."
>>
>>7799314
depends where you live
do you have programming skills
do you have statistics/applied modules or just pure abstract stuff
what have you done with your free time that will make you stand out?
>>
>>7799592
Willing to locate literally anywhere in the world
I have basic programming skills (took a class in Java, know some Python, know SQL and good with Excel (VBA)).
I have or will have taken several actuarial exams before I graduate. I have taken probability, but besides that mostly abstract.
I have done most clubs on this campus and have experience in a huge breadth of extracurriculars. Everything from translating Korean for a newspaper to backpacking across different countries to horse-riding to playing instruments to building drama sets to volunteering for non-profits.
>>
>>7797916
$65k is pretty damn good fresh out of school. There will be opportunities for career advancement and salary increases later on if you do things right.
>>
>>7797903
That's a good starting salary for someone with a Bachelors alone.

I'd suggest working towards an MS in something related, if you wish to remain a data analyst... maybe statistical/mathematical/computational finance, stats (or computational stats), operations research, etc.

Take as many actuary exams as you can too. Have a friend who made it to the 5th actuary exam, iirc, and has never had any issues switching jobs, and getting the jobs he wants.
>>
>>7799200
Those aren't like the usual problems you'll be running into at an industry job, like AT ALL.

The hard part about those is thinking of an efficient solution because they're like the problems an Operations Research person would be solving: lots of applied math. The programming part is not the hard part whatsoever.

As far as industry jobs go, the toughest and most useful skill for the software field is the design part. Making systems, which might be HUGE and complex, maintainable, re-usable, secure, scalable, and extensible. You don't want to have a gorillion lines of code sitting there in your repository, and nobody knows how they work, or how to add a new feature with adding a whole mess of spaghetti. Or what if you decide to switch your db from postgres to mysql in the future without having to change thousands of lines in your code? It's mostly tough because it can only really be learned through experience, and most people switch to management roles before they get to that level, or they just never get there and stay "programmers" just blindly following orders till they burn out.

You'll hardly ever run into any problems that require obscure/clever algorithms that you didn't learn as a 1st/2nd year in CS or Math, unlike the ones you see in the ACM ICPC, topcoder, and codeforces competitions. Those problems, by contrast, don't teach you a whole lot about architecture and design, because they're usually solved within a function or two that might span just a few lines of code.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.