[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there anything to the idea of an energy being, or would it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1452701066-20160113.png (741KB, 684x2026px) Image search: [Google]
1452701066-20160113.png
741KB, 684x2026px
Is there anything to the idea of an energy being, or would it just be completely unstable without matter?
>>
define "being". is it an entity with a consciousness or atleast something with cognition?
>>
>>7796100
That's what I mean, something which could be considered sentient.
>>
Then no. Cognition comes from the information process of neural nets, like a jellyfish or like a brain. The neural pathways have to be stable and made from matter so the electrons can send signals the right way to operate itself. You can't have cognition without a solid and stable system, therefore you can't have a being made out of just energy.
>>
>>7796130
So it's definitely not possible to contain all the information and networks of a mind in a system that isn't geometrically static?
>>
>>7796075
>>>/x/
>>>/mlp/
>>>www.mongoloid.com
>>
>>7796130
>neural nets, like a jellyfish or like a brain
how can you even write it like that, those two are totally one two different extremes
>>
>>7796148
you need an actual net of wires or something that transmits signals (preferably electrons for a super speed connection) to work as a signal for the other parts to interpret, and act accordingly. Thats how you generate cognition.

>>7796151
jellyfish is a neural net, brain is a neural system that also involves a neural net.
>>
>>7796173
>you need an actual net of wires or something that transmits signals to work as a signal for the other parts to interpret, and act accordingly.
But does the net have to be fixed and made of matter?
>>
>>7796187
Yep.
>>
>>7796201
What makes you say that?
>>
>>7796187
No it can be made of magic, platonic ideals, and angel spit. You need to decide what "matter" means in the context of these alternative universes you're imagining.
>>
>>7796210
because thats the only way you will get a stable system
>>
>>7796211
I just mean matter as opposed to energy.

Am I right in thinking matter and energy are a dichotomy?
>>
>>7796220
Well I know nothing about physics but my impression is that the only way that it makes sense to talk about energy in the absence of matter is electromagnetic waves and that those are kind of 'matter' anyway. But assume you don't want to classify them as such I guess.

Can electromagnetic waves interact directly with each other?
>>
>>7796075

Mass is a consequence of massless particles interacting with fields.

You are already an energy being.
>>
In the Xeelee Sequence, there's an alien species made of convection currents in swamp water. The convection currents were incredibly complex in order to transfer enough information to facilitate sentience.

There's also a type of life hypothesized that is made of plasma coalescing into cells (a process which has been observed to some degree), which if is of sufficient complexity, could function similar to life.
>>
File: 1452700952-20160113after.png (44KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
1452700952-20160113after.png
44KB, 360x360px
>>7796075
>>
>>7796436
lets take your mass ouıt and see what happens then
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.