[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lunar Maria

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: _20160119_132836.jpg (417KB, 1440x1465px) Image search: [Google]
_20160119_132836.jpg
417KB, 1440x1465px
What is the current understanding of how the lunar maria come to be (the dark patches on the Moon)? Why is it there and where did it come from? Bonus points: Why doesn't the far side have much maria?
>>
Is this a trole
>>
>>7796027
No, just curious how we understand the origin of the lunar maria. I mean, it's basically dried-up lava but there are no volcanoes on the Moon. So how did it get to the surface? It's a lunar mystery.
>>
>>7796233
So, no body here studies the Moon apparently. Interesting.
>>
>>7795986
solidified lava after an impact with a large scale body such as yourself. regarding the uneven distribution: "In 2011, planetary scientists Erik Ahsphaug and Martin Jutzi published a study proposing that the uneven distribution of maria occurred because the moon collided with another, smaller moon of the earth, a few million years after its formation. In this low-impact collision, the smaller moon was crushed into the surface of the moon, thickening the moon's crust on one side. Subsequent impacts broke through the crust and released lava only where the crust was thin, leading to the observed uneven distribution of maria.[12][13]" (Cuckopedia)
>>
>>7795986

What, you've never heard of Wikipedia?

They have an article about this exact subject.
>>
>>7796373
>solidified lava after an impact with a large scale body

On the surface (no pun intended), that makes sense but it doesn't make sense that impacts could release material from source regions such as the mantle. The impacts directly affect the crust down to what, 5-10km max? How does that result in "lava" that sits at least 50km down flowing to the surface. The natural driver is for the lava to sink since it's less dense than the crust, not rise to the surface. I don't see how you can get lava to the surface without mechanisms like volcanism.
>>
I'm no expert on Lunarmaritimology, but couldn't tidal interaction with the Earth have led to a thicker crust on the far side and a thinner crust on the near side?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.