[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lets carry out an experiment. What would happen if I hold two

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: images.png (5KB, 267x188px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
5KB, 267x188px
Lets carry out an experiment.

What would happen if I hold two magnets together in the pictured configurations and run an electrical current through said magnets?

Magnets would be mounted on a non metallic structure.

All variations of electrical charge, amperage, voltage and magnet being electrified will be tested.

Any suggestions?
> For sake of the thread, assume OPs knowledge is high school level.
>>
They would lose their conductivity and in turn magnetism since heat increases resistance
>>
>>7789874
My research is actually on ferromagnetic and superconducting interfaces, particularly F/F/S, so what you're describing sounds familiar as a classical spin valve.

See each magnet has a preferred spin orientation, giving them their magnetic field. Thus when a current is ran through a magnet, not only is charge being transferred but the spin is as well. When current runs from a normal metal into a magnet, spins matching that of the ferromagnet will pass through with ease but the opposing spin will either reflect backward (losing net current) or will flip spins. This means that current with the same spin as the magnet will have less resistance than for the opposing spin.

This comes into play in designing a spin valve. Here, you use two ferromagnets, the first being "hard" so that you can fix which spin is preferred, the second being "soft" so that you can control the resistance. By changing the soft's magnetization from the same direction to the opposite direction of the hard magnet, you can GREATLY increase the circuit's resistance. This is very useful for things like memory where you want a definite on/off state.

Of course if you run it too high or too hot, the above mentioned demagnetization will occur.
>>
>>7789897
Thanks for your answer.
Now if you'll excuse my ineptitude in the subject.
Would you care to explain what you wrote in a way easier to understand for someone not versed in the subject?

Also, lets take this variation of the setup.

Magnets set with poles that repel, facing each other.
Low voltage, high amperage positive current run through both magnets.
What would happen?
>I would be actually doing the experiment if I had the materials
>>
>>7789906

Basically, running a current through a magnet is like running it through any other normal metal, but with generally higher resistance.

However, two magnets with poles opposite will have much much higher resistance than two magnets with poles aligned. So, running at a constant voltage difference would mean a lower current V = I R. But otherwise, nothing exciting happens I'm sorry to say.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.