[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to study basic human/animal biology. How should I get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

I want to study basic human/animal biology. How should I get started? What are the best places to learn? What qualifies you to answer this question?
>>
File: 1402500683655.gif (2MB, 280x203px) Image search: [Google]
1402500683655.gif
2MB, 280x203px
>>7788279
ur gona hav 2b mor specific.

read textbooks
read journal articles
watch videos
pick a niche

i hav a degre in microbiology with a focus on immunology
>>
>>7788279
http://connect.customer.mheducation.com/products/connect-for-brooker-biology-3e/

start with that
>>
1.) buy the campbell (that big bio book with the frog on its cover, you know) and an atlas of (systematic) human anatomy
2.) read both on your comfy couch
3.) i have 6 peer reviewed pubmed papers in biomed
>>
>>7788290
what is a good book on immunology?
>>
>>7788303
the 'janeway'
>>
>>7788303
only used 'the immune system" by peter parham. Pretty sure just because my prof knows the guy. But it gives a good overview of many topics. Not a difficult read for an intro book

I'm sure there are better books but I will say that for immunology review journal articles are great. If you're interested in some topic just go to google scholar or your unis search and look up "x review"
>>
>>7788279
Mathematical Physiology: I: Cellular Physiology - Keener and Sneyd
Mathematical Physiology: II: Systems Physiology - Keener and Sneyd
>>
>>7788329
>>7788332
thanks

we covered a bit of immunology, and im really interested in the subject but our first test was like one lecture all rushed up about the subject and i wanted to learn about it, not just memorise about t cells and shit
>>
File: virus.png (78KB, 725x480px) Image search: [Google]
virus.png
78KB, 725x480px
>>7788376
>not just memorise about t cells and shit
lol. immunology is a lot of memorization but if you think it's interesting it shouldn't be a problem. /sci/ isn't really wrong about the biology meme but you do have to make a lot of connections to see the bigger or smaller picture.

Once you get that out of the way the most interesting part in my opinion is studying the interactions between the immune system and microorganisms (mainly pathogens)
>>
>>7788405
yes but I want to learn about while memorising it not just spout terms and not knowing what they really mean

man, sometimes lecturers can really make you want to hate a subject
>>
File: helicobacter_pylori_bacteria.jpg (9KB, 304x171px) Image search: [Google]
helicobacter_pylori_bacteria.jpg
9KB, 304x171px
>>7788516
then that's probably a bad lecturer. But in their defense, if it was an intro course it might not be their fault. They have to convey a lot of general information to a large audience, many of which could give a rat's ass about the material.

My major advisor taught a gen immuno class and it wasn't the most interesting thing but when I took an upper level course from him with 10 or so students he was very engaging.

Just remember all the basic "boring" stuff you're learning is the foundation for the more advanced, interesting information so don't blow it off
>>
>>7788279
At my university a lot of biologists, that wanted to specialize into molecular biology (like genetics, immunology, cell biology) regretted starting with biology and say, that they should have started with biochemistry. Biologists have to learn a lot of thousand boring facts about a lot of animals. Biochemists only need to know their model organisms, but this is enough to know a lot about biology.

I hope this was helpful. I study molecular biology master first semester.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.