[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /sci/, since you (or /lit/) are considered the genius tier

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

Hello /sci/, since you (or /lit/) are considered the genius tier of 4chins, I bring my question to you.
What is the most up to date philosophical equivalent of Newton's (or Whitehead/Russel's) Principia? I'm looking to read THE book on philosophy no matter how long it takes me, but I'm not familiar with any modern philosophers. Bonus if it involves mathematics/science, but I'm looking for something along the lines of the ultimate book of knowledge avaialble to modern man.
>i'll ask /lit/ too to avoid bias
>>
>>7787199
>I'm looking for something along the lines of the ultimate book of knowledge available to modern man.

wikipedia.org
>>
File: trumphoody.jpg (193KB, 698x481px) Image search: [Google]
trumphoody.jpg
193KB, 698x481px
>>7787203
>>
The problem is in how you're wording your question OP.

Newton just did some infinitesimal calculations of motion and defined what a force was + astronomy. He wasn't even recognized until 100s of years later. Decarte was more popular with his theory of vortices, but people were like 'Oh shit, Newton's better' in 1800's.

My guess is that you want to learn Logic, because that's the underpinning of any argument presented for Metaphysics, Aesthetics, Ethics, etc.
>>
>>7787213
I guess I did word it vaguely. I am currently reading Russel's History of Western Philosophy which is a "beginners" guide to philosophy from his own words, and that led me to wonder if there was a more modern equivalent that was as thorough as he was. I know more modern philosophers dove into logic so I was looking for something current that was at his or Newton's level of "The Book" on the subject.
Does that make sense?
>>
>>7787199
>>
>>7787240

>Up to date
>Heisenburg
>1920ish's

anon pls
>>
>>7787242

Postmodernism Philosophy is crap and not worth your time.
>>
>>7787240
thanks, will check those out
>>
>>7787248

Take the science with a grain of salt. Even now we're putting corrections in to Einstein's theories.
>>
>>7787251
I understand, science is ever evolving. I just really want to get a better grasp of things as they are in an in-depth way.
>>
>>7787251
>science
>ever being correct

underage detected
>>
>>7787271

I'll put it a different way: don't hold arguments of authority because you feel superior due to reading something. 'If only you read Kant's Critique of Pure Reason you would understand!'
>>
Newton's Principia is philosophy. Science is philosophy. Perhaps you should look up the definition of philosophy.
>>
>>7787277

Science is a philosophy.
Science is a systematic usage of empiricism. Science is not philosophy though.
>>
>>7787199
I have just seen you on /lit/, fucker
>>
>>7787305
That's what I meant it's like a field of philosophy. It used to be called natural philosophy. His question is way too broad. Philosophy is huge. Science is huge. I think we need to stop using the terms so much. Confusion. It's why we created the term science.
>>
>>7787322
>i'll ask /lit/ too to avoid bias
you in charge of reading...
>>
>>7787330
This. top kek
>>
>>7787199
Newton's principia, Euclid's elements Darwin's origin of species and the like are revered because they proved influential to future developments, not because they were stellar in their own right. Think Shakespeare, or the Bible. For instance, Darwin didn't know about genes. It's a sort of romanticized hindsight, we read them "for culture" if ever.
>>
>>7787199

With regard to Russell and Whitehead, Zermelo Fraenkel set theory is commonly used as a foundation for contemporary mathematics, as a default presumed to be humming in the background, as a kernel for things like (standard) analysis and algebra.
>>
>>7787359

Euclid's elements is in and of itself full-stellar, however. We still use and appreciate the exact same sorts of arguments and diagrams, accept them as generally correct, and dress them up with foundations and this decade's new formalism to salve our egos.
>>
>>7787240
>highlights of development
>lists Bible
religion was a step back in human intelligence, not a form of development
>>
Philosophy is dead. It was superseded by science. If you want to be a fedora and romanticize the past, you're free to do that, but don't expect to be taken seriously.
>>
>>7787199
>What is the most up to date philosophical equivalent of Newton's (or Whitehead/Russel's) Principia?
Bourbaki’s books.
>>
>>7787515
The bible is just an anthology, but I assume you mean Abrahamic faiths and I mostly agree with that.

That the bible was very influential to western societies is unavoidable and that alone merits some passing acquaintence with it (some might say especially, if you view religion as a negative influence to be corrected) Plus several themes are particularly resonant. If nothing else, read exodus. God was a fucking alpha male, fucked over an entire nation not to save his people but to show that he's top dog. He basically forgot about them for 300 years then forced the Pharoah to fight him back and get rekt for days. Hardcore.
>>
>>7787213
Are you retarded? He was president of the royal society in his time, his physics revolution was recognized in his time as was the development of calculus and all the other mathematical shit he found, he built the first ever reflecting telescope, and he was also Warden and Master of the fucking royal mint. Newton has ALWAYS been in the spotlight.
>>
>>7787515

How's middle school?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.