[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will this thing EVER break down? I mean, it's been like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 14

File: rover21-full.jpg (1MB, 3000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
rover21-full.jpg
1MB, 3000x2250px
Will this thing EVER break down?

I mean, it's been like truckin' for like 13 years.
>>
>The Mars Exploration Rovers carry two 8-amp-hour lithium batteries.
I wish I had a 8000MAh lithium battery that would last this long. Can't seem to go for more than 3 years before mine puff up with gases and become a fire hazard.

Though I suppose you don't really need to worry about a fire in an atmosphere that is nearly vacuum and primarily composed of fire retardant.
>>
>>7786764
I hope not, it's cool as hell.
>>
>>7786764
Eventually and without maintenance, it will break down. I mean I'm pretty shocked it's still going.
>>
File: spirit.png (273KB, 639x862px) Image search: [Google]
spirit.png
273KB, 639x862px
>tfw
>>
Communications with Spirit ended in 2010. Maybe you're thinking of Curiosity?
>>
>>7787201
Sorry, I see now you mean Opportunity. Yeah sometimes engineering works wonders, sometimes your lander fucks up and you have to wait until sunrise for the heat needed to boot up.
>>
>>7787198
;_;

Not sure why I feel emotionally attached to a machine
>>
>>7786800
You don't need to worry about lithium batteries going on fire if they're not mass produced by shitty chinks. See http://www.mpoweruk.com/china_batteries.pdf
>>
File: nanomachines.jpg (27KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
nanomachines.jpg
27KB, 600x338px
>>7786764
It clearly has nanotechnology keeping it in a state of perfect health.
>>
>>7787457
Same way I got emotionally attached to Philae during the comet landing. That twitter was so cute and sad at the same time.
>>
>>7786764

It is currently in a relatively stable condition, and nasa in not worried about immenent failure of any key systems

- Its solar panels are cleaned regularly with martian winds so it has enough power (http://mars.nasa.gov/mer/mission/status_opportunityAll.html#sol4247)
- Its problems with 'amnesia' events seem to be behind it to a certain degree, it is still struggling with problems in its flash memory but that is only really neccessary for large file size transmission, so i think they are running it in ram right now. and can bypass the dodgy areas of flash, when they need to use it, and the amnesia events are not mission ending, it just means that large files can be lost which is annoying as fuck, so nasa just doesnt leave until it survives long enough to trasnsmit stuff back.
- Its instrument arm has been dodgy (only one joint) for more than a decade and nasa just leaves it deployed and drives backwards of something.
- I think one of its wheels has been broken for ages as well but thankfully it has 5 other wheels (but this might have been spirit)
its other systems and such all seem to be going strong.

All in all its a testament to the skills of the designers, manufacturers and operators that it is still going strong.
>>
>>7788452
The wheels will be its downfall.
>>
>>7788462
in all likelyhood yes, it will probably get stuck in a dune like spirit.
>>
>>7788473
Are wheels less likely to fail than treads or rollers of some sort?
>>
>>7788504
Treads and rollers while probably beeing much better for traction (which is not too much of and issue with proper driving technique) but they would have joints and such which would continually be filled with martian dust and such

The wheels they use a electric motors which are connected to reduction gears turning like 100000 motor revolutions into to one turn of the wheel, giving it crazy torque for the size of the motor. and allowing fine position control.

Long story short, the reliability of wheels outweights the traction benefits of other systems
>>
>>7786764
>“How lucky we are to live in this time, the first moment in human history, when we are in fact visiting other worlds”
- Based Sagan
Brings a goddamned tear to my eye
>>
>>7787457
Thank Disney.
>>
>>7787198
>>7787457
>>7788425
God damn it, humanity. Stop anthropomorphizing god damn everything. Doing so is a disease. It means your focus has gone too far astray from your peers. Doubly if you are one who creates things like >>7787198
>>
>>7788526

Hace we ever found a meteorite that has visited multiple planets?
>>
>>7788566
The ocean and skies are another world.
>>
>>7788462
>>7788504
>>7788526
Apparently the wheels themselves suffer from metal fatigue when going over rocky terrain, so there's the risk of the wheels themselves cracking and breaking up too, not just the mechanical components seizing.

Wait, it found a meteorite? That's flipping cool.
>>
>>7788624
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_meteorite
>>
>>7788385
>http://www.mpoweruk.com/china_batteries.pdf
> Despite his slight frame he himself demolished at least 50% of the food on the table set for four, while emitting a range of loud noises and spitting out shells and bones into a great heap on the table, without stopping to talk.

Priceless.
>>
File: mars-mohave-ground-squirrel.jpg (210KB, 1093x614px) Image search: [Google]
mars-mohave-ground-squirrel.jpg
210KB, 1093x614px
>>7788526
I'm pretty suspicious of the moon landings myself, what took this picture? What real evidence is there to prove there is a device made by men moving around on the Martian surface? Especially something made by a Masonic occult organization that is really into the spy satellite business?
I've also seen Capricorn One, I need real evidence, no ad homs.
>>
>>7789019
I have several in the back part of my property (antelope ground squirrels what you call mohave ground squirrels) - several will come up to me and take a peanut from my hand. Never once have I seen one lay on its side.

I CALL SHENANIGANS. It's a rock.
>>
>>7788622
You're implying an awful lot. If I feel sad for a robot on Mars, obviously I am empathetic for humans on Earth.
>disease
Nigger what?
>>
File: lolzazzle.png (586KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
lolzazzle.png
586KB, 1680x1050px
>>7789019
>no tail
>no legs
>no neck
>top zazzle
>>
>>7786764
What is it doing now exactly, besides being poorly rendered in 3D?
>>
>>7789019
it doesn't have the anatomy of a squirrel. although it looks pretty much like a rodent animal even though I don't think it is because of the odd look of its arm.
>>
>>7789052
You're....really,really stupid.
>>
>>7789019
The "eye" in that pic is behind the "head" is supposedly is on.
>>
>>7786764
>Will this thing EVER break down?

Yes
>>
>>7786764
One day its meth will run out.
>>
>>7789045
It is a mental disease. You are supposed to be empathetic for humans, but not anything else. It is rampant modern culture to anthropomorphize inanimate objects and animals for maternal and sexual reasons.
>>
>>7789080
>You are supposed to be empathetic for humans, but not anything else.
>Supposed to.
According to...?
>>
>>7789063
It's funny just how ironic these posts are.
>>
>>7789080
>It's a mental disease
Says who, you?
>>
File: Opportunity on meth.jpg (2MB, 3274x3070px) Image search: [Google]
Opportunity on meth.jpg
2MB, 3274x3070px
>>7789077
>>
>>7789086
>>7789091
Your species' genetics.

Emotionally caring for other things is a defect. You should only care for humans. Specifically, your own family.
>>
>>7788425
In all honesty I actually got really teary when Philae tweeted after restoring power. Holy shit did I get teary.
>>
>>7789108
>Your species' genetics.
Okay, so according to nothing. Good to know.
>>
>>7789111
>Christian-raised 20-something detected
>>
>>7789112
You didn't understand my answer. Read it again.
>>
File: WKy3aAp.jpg (224KB, 1048x1487px) Image search: [Google]
WKy3aAp.jpg
224KB, 1048x1487px
>>7788622
>anthropomorphizing things is a dissease
>>
>>7789114
That wasn't an answer. It was a reply to a statement with another statement.
>>
>>7789119
Sometimes known as an answer.
>>
>>7789118
>anthropomorphizing diseases is a thing
>>
>>7789121
There was no question you tard.
>>
>>7789126
An answer does not require a question.
Sometimes a statement is a question as well.
Sometimes a question is only pretending to be a statement.

Slob the knob, anon. Slob it good.
>>
>>7789111
>genes are nothing
>>
>>7789134
Interpreting the meaning and implication of our genetic composition is hazy and imprecise, especially for someone who clearly knows nothing about the topic and is claiming there's something we're "supposed" to be.

Read the context you braindead garbage.
>>
>>7789133
Sometimes you only pretend to be an idiot.
>>
>>7789138
see
>>7789108
>Your species' genetics.

Which determines that you only have emotions for your mate and offspring. Everything else past that is a hindrance.

I swear I must be talking to one of those cat ladies who lives alone with at least 5+ cats all of which she has actually named.
>>
File: 1451608321723.gif (937KB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
1451608321723.gif
937KB, 500x357px
>>7789139
Deep man.
>>
>>7789140
>Which determines that you only have emotions for your mate and offspring.
Go on. By what means?
>>
>>7789144
Are you finished with high school yet? You even pick your friends by genome. It is hardwired for clans and families.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.